Because of the convenience they offer, retractable awnings are extremely popular, and because of their popularity, there are so many different options available. While having choice is certainly a good thing, with so many options to choose from, trying to decide which retractable awning would work the best for you can seem like a daunting task.
So, how do you know which retractable awning to choose? We’ve taken the liberty of doing the legwork for you. After spending countless hours conducting testing and extensive research and comparing the descriptions of dozens of models, as well as reading through endless customer reviews, we have narrowed through the options and have determined what we believe to be the best retractable awnings currently available on the market.
In this guide, we provide reviews of our top picks for the best retractable awnings, including the features that each model offers and why we believe that they’re the best. We also offer a buyer’s guide that highlights the key factors that you should take into consideration when you are shopping for a retractable awning.
We wrap up this review by providing answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about retractable awnings.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Retractable Awnings Reviews
- 2.1 Diensweek Patio Awning Retractable
- 2.2 ADVANING 10’x8’ Motorized Patio Retractable Awning
- 2.3 AECOJOY 10’x8’ Patio Awning Retractable Sun Shade Awning
- 2.4 MCombo 10×8 Feet Manual Retractable Canopy
- 2.5 Rolling Shade Motorized Awning 16’x10
- 2.6 Best Choice Products 98×80 inch Retractable Awning
- 2.7 ALECKO 20 x 10 Feet Retractable Motorized Patio Awning
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Retractable Awnings Buyer’s Guide
- 5 The Mechanism
- 6 The Fabric
- 7 The Frame
- 8 The Size
- 9 Installation
- 10 Retractable Awning FAQs
- 11 Conclusion
We realize that a lot of readers don’t have the time to go through all of the information presented in this guide, but still want to be able to find the best retractable awnings on the market.
In this section, we’ve put together a brief overview of our top three picks for the best overall, the best premium, and the best budget retractable awnings. Here, you will find a short description of the features that each option offers.
Best Pick Diensweek Patio Awning Retractable
- 12' by 8' HIGH-QUALITY STANDARD: 12feet long 8feet width Awning Backed with a 1 years warranty and certified CE, GS, and RoHS, this awning is built and tested to be simple to use and durable to last. Residential and commercial use. Most accurate fully extend product dimension: 11.32'x8.20'.
- DURABLE MECHANISM : Build with an entire corrosion resistant T5 grade aluminum frame, and arm - It keeps this manual mechanism safe, easy to adjust, light and robust again structure stress with a wind resident Beauport scale 4.
- INCLUDES: Awning, crank handle, mounting bracket, instruction manual and additional mounting hardware - No electricity required, open/close by hand crank.
- HIGH QUALITY FABRIC : Navy blue color 280g/m² Polyester +PU coating fabric is water resistant, resistant to sun fading, has 50UV+ solar protection and also tested for a wind resistance Beauport scale 4.
- RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION; Total height needed 3.1m that include 0.6m for the drop. Concrete wall or massive brickwork wall recommended. Please ask a professional for different types of walls such as (insulation, double brick, brick, wood and vinyl facing etc).
Our top pick for the best overall retractable awning is the 280G Polyester Window Door Sunshade – Deck Canopy Balcony P100 Series by Diensweek. It combines the highest quality materials with the most state-of-the-art construction to create a durable, effective, easy to use, and attractive retractable awning that will last for years to come. The frame and arm is made of corrosion resistant T5 grade aluminum, and the fabric is made of 280g/m-squared PU polyester-coated fabric that is waterproof, wind-resistant, and fade-resistant and offers 80 UV solar protection.
Premium Pick: Advaning Motorized Patio Retractable Awning
- LUXURY Series
- 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐔𝐌 𝐅𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐂: Quality, 100% Solution-Dyed European Acrylic UV Sun Shade
- 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐔𝐌 𝐅𝐀𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐂 - 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍 Recasens Branded European 100% Solution Dyed Acrylic Canvases Feature Exceptional UV Protection and their High Breathable Weave Releases Trapped Heat for a Cooler More Comfortable Shade, an Advantage over Lesser Quality Polyester or Vinyl Materials.
- Power source type: Battery
If you’re looking for a high-end, premium-grade retractable awning, the Advaning Motorized Patio Retractable Awning is the model that we recommend. This retractable awning is motorized, which means that it creates instant shade with just the push of a button. Made of the most durable materials and construction, including double stainless steel cables, double springs, and rust-proof marine grade metal components, as well as 100 percent solution dyed, water-resistant, wind-resistant, and fade resistant fabric, it will be sure to last a long time, no matter the climate.
Budget Pick: AECOJOY Patio Awning Retractable
- FOR HOME AND BUSINESS USE - The patio awning is ideal for shading of windows, in balcony, courtyard, patio, cafes and restaurants with back porches, providing protection from UV rays and make the space looks elegant.
- WATER AND UV RESISTANT - The retractable awning is made of 280g polyester and PU coating fabric, which is water resistant, anti ultraviolet, resistant to sun fading, also has 50 UV+ solar protection.
- SOLID MATERIAL - Build with rust-resistant, powder-coated aluminum frame, lightweight design but solid structure can resist a certain scale wind （under level 5), retractable mounting brackets have double strand steel rope, more durable.
- RETRACTABLE DESIGN and EASY OPERATION - The patio awnings with simply open and close operation manually by a hand crank, swift it to raise or low front pitch bar.
- INSTALLATION AND CUSTOMER SERVICE -The patio retractable canopy can be installed on a concrete, solid brick wall and even on a wooden wall. Assembly needed, manual and hardware included, chat us freely if have any problem.
If you’re looking for a top-quality retractable awning but you don’t want to spend a fortune, the AECOJOY 10’x8’ Patio Awning Retractable Awning Retractable Sun Shade Awning is an excellent option. Measuring 10 feet by 8 feet, it’s perfect for shading windows, balconies, patios, decks, courtyards, and any other location where you need on-demand shade. The frame is made of rust-resistant, powder-coated aluminum material, so it’s lightweight, yet highly durable and can easily resist under level 5 wind scales. The fabric is made of water-resistant and ultraviolet-resistant 280g polyester PU coated fabric, so it can resist moisture and fading, while also providing 50+ UV solar protection.
Retractable Awnings Reviews
Now that we have provided you with a brief overview of our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget retractable awnings, let’s explore a little more. In this part of our guide, we offer a more detailed look at the top three models mentioned above, as well as some additional top-quality retractable awnings.
The reviews in this section highlight more of the features of our picks for the top retractable awnings, including lists of pros and cons for each model, so you can determine which model will best suit your specific needs.
Diensweek Patio Awning Retractable
Our pick for the best retractable awning overall is the Diensweek Patio Awning is durably constructed, easy to install, easy to operate, and aesthetically pleasing. This certified CE, GS, and RoHS is constructed and tested for its ease of use and durability.
With a T5 grade aluminum frame and arm, this awning is lightweight, can withstand scale 4 winds, and is safe and easy to operate and adjust. The 280g/m squared PU-coated polyester is waterproof, and fade-resistant, while offering 80 UV solar protection.
It comes with everything you need, including a crank handle, a mounting bracket, mounting hardware, and an detailed instruction manual for easy installation. The navy blue color is aesthetically pleasing, too; and, it’s backed by a 100 percent money back guarantee.
Given the extreme durability, easy installation and easy operation, combined with the 12 food by 8 foot size, the Diensweek Patio Awning Retractable Manual Commercial Grade will add the perfect amount of visually appealing shade to your yard.
- T5 grade aluminum frame
- 280g/m squared PU-coated polyester fabric
- Highly durable, wind-proof, water-resistant, fade-resistant
- Offers 80UV sun protection
- Easy to install
- Easy to operate
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Money back guarantee
- 1 year warranty
- CE, GS, RoHS-certified
ADVANING 10’x8’ Motorized Patio Retractable Awning
For shoppers who are looking for a state-of-the-art, high-end retractable awning, the ADVANING 10’x8’ Motorized Retractable Awning is definitely the option we recommend.
The frame is made of top-quality, lightweight, rust-proof, powder-coated materials for extreme durability and features a state-of-the-art mechanism for motorized operation that will allow you to access the shade you need with just the push of a button.
Advaning’s registered trademark Easy Pitch system allows for the super-simple pitch adjustment, the angle of which can be adjusted from 5 to 45 degrees.
The Luxury Series Recasens/Recaril sourced fabrics are 100 percent solution dyed, heat-releasing, water repellent, and fade resistant. The front valance can be removed, too to allow for a modern or contemporary look.
This 10 foot by 8 foot motorized retractable awning is available in a variety of colors and patterns, including two neutral solid colors and four colorful striped designs.
- Extremely durable frame
- Easy Pitch system allows the pitch to be easily adjusted from 5 to 45 degrees
- Advanced motorized mechanism allows for simple operation
- Comes 100 percent assembled and ready to install
- Lux, 100 percent solution dyed fabrics are heat releasing, water repellent, and fade resistant
- Available in several colors and patterns
- Removable front valance for a modern or contemporary look
- Backed by a 5 year warranty
AECOJOY 10’x8’ Patio Awning Retractable Sun Shade Awning
For shoppers who are looking for a well-made, reliable, and easy to operate retractable awning that won’t break the budget, this option from AECOJOY is a great choice.
The frame is made of powder-coated, rust-resistant, aluminum frame that is exceptionally durable, incredibly lightweight, and can withstand winds up to 5-scale with ease. The 280g PU coated polyester fabric is water resistant, fade resistant, and offers 50 UV+ solar protection, so it will provide reliable protection to intense sun and even light rain.
It comes with all of the hardware you’ll need to install it, and it can be installed in wood, brick, and concrete. With the 10 foot by 8 foot size, it provides the perfect amount of on-demand shade for patios, decks, balconies, and more.
The crank system is easy to operate, too, and the neutral beige color will tie into any outdoor space; plus, it’s also very economically priced.
- Made of powder-coated, rust-resistant, wind-resistant frame
- 280g PU coated polyester fabric is water, wind, and fade resistant, and offers 50 UV+ protection
- Easy to install
- Easy to operate
- Neutral beige color
- Affordably priced
MCombo 10×8 Feet Manual Retractable Canopy
The MCombo 10×8 Feet Manual Retractable Patio Door Window Awning Sunshade Shelter Outdoor Canopy is a well-constructed, reliable, durable, and versatile retractable awning.
The frame is made of T5 grade aluminum frame and spurted plastic steel hand crank is lightweight, durable, easy, and safe to operate. The 280g/m squared PU coated polyester fabric resists water, wind, and fading, while providing 50UV solar protection.
Both the frame and the fabric can withstand scale 4 winds with ease. The tilt of this retractable awning can be adjusted from 0 to 35 degrees and it can be installed into concrete, wood, or brick. It’s available in an assortment of solid colors and striped patterns, so you’ll be able to choose a look that speaks to your style, and the 10 foot by 8 foot dimensions will provide plenty of protection from the sun and even light rain.
For your peace of mind, it’s backed by a 3 month warranty and a money back guarantee.
- T5 grade aluminum frame
- 280g/m squared PU coated polyester fabric
- Corrosion, fade, wind, and moisture-resistant
- Lightweight, yet durable
- Easy to install
- 0 to 35 degree adjustable pitch
- Easy hand crank operation
- Available in 10 colors and patterns
- Affordably priced
Rolling Shade Motorized Awning 16’x10
This retractable awning from Rolling Shade is another high-end option. The advanced motorized option allows you to access the shade you need when you need it with just the push of a button.
The frame is made of a combination of high-grade, rust-proof stainless steel and powder-coated material and features vinyl-coated steel cables for exceptional, yet lightweight durability and smooth, easy operation. The pitch can be easily adjusted so you can achieve the perfect protection from the sun.
The Recasens fabric used on this awning is made of 100 percent solution dyed acrylic fibers and has a specialized infinity finish that makes it anti-stain, rot-proof, water-resistant, tear-resistant, and UV-resistant, while delivering UV 80+ sun protection. It’s also lead free, highly breathable, and lightweight, yet exceptionally durable.
The 16 foot by 10.2 foot size with three arms for reliable support provides amble amounts of shade, making it the perfect choice for large spaces that need on-demand shading. Rounding out the features is a removable waning and your choice of 12 solid colors or stripped patterns.
- 16 foot by 10.2 foot size provides plenty of shade for large spaces
- 120v 60Hz 1.92A motor
- Durable, yet lightweight frame
- High-end fabric is rot, water, wind, fade, and UV resistant
- Available in a selection of 12 solid colors and stripped patterns
- Backed by a two year warranty
Best Choice Products 98×80 inch Retractable Awning
The Best Choice Products is another budget-friendly, yet high-quality and reliable retractable awning. The powder-coated aluminum frame is rust-resistant, lightweight, and highly durable.
The fabric is made of UV- and water-resistant polyester that successfully blocks out the harsh and hot rays of the sun. A built-in reel and crank handle makes design of this retractable awning makes for easy operation.
It comes complete with all of the hardware that’s needed for installation, and it can be installed in concrete walls and solid surfaces with ease. The 98.5 inch by 80 inch by 6.5 inch size provides plenty of shade for outdoor spaces and it’s available in four attractive colors: navy, gray, burgundy, and beige.
All of these benefits, and the Best Choice Products retractable awning is very affordably priced.
- Powder-coasted, rust-resistant frame
- UV- and water-resistant polyester fabric
- Durable, yet lightweight design
- Built-in reel and crank handle allows for easy operation
- All hardware is included and can be easily installed in all types of solid surfaces
- 5 inch by 80 inch by 6.5 inch size offers plenty of shade
- Available in four solid colors
- Affordably priced
ALECKO 20 x 10 Feet Retractable Motorized Patio Awning
Rounding out our list of the best retractable awnings is the ALEKO AWCM20X10 20 x 10 Feet Half Cassette Retractable Motorized Patio Awning. This remote operated motor allows the awning to be opened and closed within just one minute with, and it also comes with a hand crank for manual operation, too.
The semi cassette frame offers extra coverage in the front for partial fabric protection when the awning fabric is retracted. A powder-coated steel and aluminum frame and a weather-resistant fabric make this retractable awning highly durable, yet lightweight and easy to use.
The frame measures 19.7 by 10 feet and the fabric measures 19.3 by 9.5 feet, so you’ll have plenty of shade for your outdoor areas. The fabric is available in 15 different solid colors and striped patterns that will add decorative appeal to your home.
It comes complete with standard vertical wall brackets, but it can also be mounted under the overhang of a roof or to the bottom of a horizontal surface with an additional ceiling bracket.
- Remote operated for fast and smooth operation
- Comes with a hand crank for manual operation, too
- Semi Cassette design provides extra coverage in the front for shade when the awning is closed
- Powder-coated and aluminum frame
- Water-resistant polyester fabric
- Large size offers plenty of shade for large outdoor spaces
- Available in a variety of solid colors and patterns
Other Best Selling Options
- Opens and closes easily in less than a minute, included motor makes it match more easy to open and close
- Best solution for sun and rain protection
- Excellent sun and rain protection. Terrific value!
- Optimize your outdoor area for maximum relaxation and enjoyment with ALEKO retractable awnings!!
- ALEKO specializes in retractable awnings for patio, deck or balcony areas for your home or business
- The easy-to-use, motorized retractable canopies open and close easily in less than a minute and also include a hand crank for manual operation. The modern black frame shows less dirt and debris than more common white frames.
- We offer deck awnings and canopies for any occasion, with a multitude of color, size and configuration options.
- Retractable Motorized Awning Frame Dimensions: 16.4' W x 10' L; Fabric Dimensions: 16' W x 9.5' L; Frame Color: Black; Fabric Color: Gray
- ✅MULTI-SURFACE: Our sunshade patio awning can be attached to a variety of surfaces such as siding and stucco. All hardware included for attachment to a concrete surface. Mounting screws for wood-framed homes not included.
- ✅ADJUSTABLE PROTECTION: This sun shade patio awning features a hand crank that opens the awning smoothly and quietly. Easily adjustable to meet your sun or shade needs.
- ✅REDUCE HEAT: Protect your home from the sun's damaging UV rays with the sunshade patio awning and actually reduce the heat inside your home.
- ✅VERSATILE PLACEMENT: This sun shade patio awning is perfect for placement above windows, doors or both. Color coordinate awnings for a clean and consistent look.
- ✅DURABLE DESIGN: Aluminum and steel frame make this sun shade patio awning superior in strength. The thick polyester fabrics with PU waterproof coating make the awning durable for years to come.
- Great addition to patios and decks
- Large 8' x 10' footprint
- Durable powder-coated finish is rust and corrosion resistant
- 100% polyester awning fabric
- DURABLE MATERIALS: A light, but strong powder-coated aluminum frame resists rust while the UV- and water-resistant polyester features a PU coating for added longevity
- ALL-WEATHER COVERAGE: An ideal space to enjoy the weather, rain or shine this canopy is up to the task to provide UV- and water-resistant coverage
- RETRACTABLE HAND CRANK: Freely and smoothly open and close the canopy with the easy-to-access, retractable 60-inch hand crank
- LARGE SHADED AREA: The large canopy covers up to 54 square feet and is unimpeded by support structures-ideal for entertaining guests!
- USE IT ANYWHERE: Use the included mounting hardware to set up this canopy in stucco, vinyl, or wood and on any balcony patio or window!; OPENED DIMENSIONS: 98.5"(L) x 80"(W) x 6.5"(H)
Retractable Awnings Buyer’s Guide
Do you have a deck, patio, or balcony that you would love to use on a regular basis, but the blazing sun prevents you from using it as often as you would like to? If so, then a retractable awning might be the solution you are looking for.
A retractable awning, as the name suggests, is an awning that is designed to be attached to the side of a structure, such as a house or garage, and can be used as-needed to create a roof that filters out the sun and to create temporary shade. With the push of a button or the twist of a crank, a retractable awning can be extended and retracted.
While the sunshine is certainly welcomed, sometimes it can be overbearing; it can turn an outdoor space that you would really love to make use of into a space that you probably don’t get to use as much as you would like to.
A retractable awning is a great alternative to a standard awning, as it isn’t a permanent structure; rather, you can open it up when you need some shade, and retract it when you don’t.
Now that you’ve had an in-depth look at our top picks for the best retractable awnings currently available on the market, you’re probably wondering which option is the right one for you.
While each model is well-made and offers reliable shade, each one offers different benefits, and in order to determine which one will best meet your needs requires careful consideration. To help you make the right choice, here’s a look at the key features that you should consider before you purchase a retractable awning.
The first thing that you’re going to want to consider is the mechanism, as this is the element that determines how the awning will retract. Retractable awnings can feature one of two mechanisms:
As the name suggests, a manual mechanism requires cranking in order to open and close a retractable awnings. Manual awnings feature a vertically or horizontally oriented cranking mechanism. The come with a long harm that features a hook on one end that connects to the awning and a twist handle on the other end that allows the user to open and close the awning.
The benefit of manual retractable awnings is that they’re usually economically priced and they’re reliable, as they don’t require electricity. However, on the downside, is that the manual operation can be a bit inconvenient, as cranking the handle can be tiring and it can take a while to fully open and close the awning.
A retractable awning with a motorized mechanism is more convenient, as it can be opened and closed with just the push of a button, and usually opens and closes a lot faster, too. A motorized awning can be features a motor that is powered by either a battery or a power cord.
Some models feature storm sensors, which can determine wind strength and saturation of the canopy and when certain levels of either are reached, the canopy will automatically retract. While motorized retractable awnings are certainly easier to operate, it’s important to note that they tend to be pricier than manual models. Additionally, because the motor features moving parts, there’s an increased risk of mechanical failure, as the components can break down and may require costly repairs, which further increases the price.
It’s also important to consider what type of fabric or material the retractable awning is made of. The fabric is the component of a retractable awning that provides protection from the elements, so it’s very important to consider what is made out of.
You want to be sure that the fabric is highly durable and can easily withstand all types of elements, including the harsh UV rays of the sun, moisture, wind, corrosion, and tearing. It should also be lightweight, as the heavier the material is, the more weight it’s going to put on the frame, which can impact the function of the awning.
Three of the fabrics that are most commonly used include:
This fabric is considered the “classic” material for retractable awnings. It’s a natural material and is easy to acquire, which makes it affordable. While canvas is highly durable, as it features a high tensile strength, it does tend to be prone to damage from environmental exposure.
Additionally, it tends to be more expensive than other materials, as it’s organic. If you decide on canvas, look for something that is coated with a specialized protective materials to improve its ability to withstand exposure to the elements and extend its life-expectancy.
Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is a synthetic fabric that’s comprised of plastic. It’s lightweight, flexible, and is naturally waterproof and unlike other fabrics, does not retain moisture and doesn’t need to be treated with a protectant to make it waterproof.
It’s also naturally mold and mildew resistant and affordably priced. The downside is that PVC has a low tensile strength, so it isn’t as durable as other materials.
Lastly, there’s polyester. Another synthetic material, it’s considered to provide the best of both worlds, as its durability is similar to canvas, while its weather-resistance is similar to PVC.
Additionally, of the three fabrics that are used for retractable awnings, polyester is the least expensive. It should be noted, however, that PVC isn’t naturally water-resistant, so it does need to be treated with a specialized coating in order to prevent saturation.
It’s also important to consider the materials that the frame is constructed of. It should be durable enough to withstand constant exposure to the elements; however, it should also be lightweight so that it won’t add strain to the wall that it is attached to, which could increase the risk of damaging the wall; plus, it could potentially cause the awning to fall out of the wall.
There are two main materials that retractable awnings are constructed out of aluminum, which is very lightweight and durable, stainless steel, which is also lightweight and durable, and acrylic. While the latter two are durable and lightweight, they do tend to rust and corroded, so they need to be treated with powder coating. The latter option, acrylic, is naturally corrosion and rust resistant, but it isn’t as durable and lightweight.
It’s also vital to consider the size of the retractable awning. You want to be sure that it will effectively cover the space that it is intended for; if it doesn’t, it won’t be very effective.
Measure the ground area of the space you need to shade to determine what size awning you will need. It’s a good idea to choose an awning that’s slightly larger than the space you need to shield to ensure full coverage.
You’ll also want to consider the installation process. Make sure you determine what type of material you will be installing the awning, as not all frames can be installed in all materials; for example, some won’t work with brick or stucco, while others won’t work with vinyl or PVC siding.
Retractable Awning FAQs
Can a retractable awning be placed over windows to provide shade?
Yes, as long as it is properly installed, a retractable awning can be installed over a window, which can help to prevent sun from pouring into your windows and can actually help to lower the temperature in your home, which will help you save money on your cooling costs.
Which is better: A motorized or manual retractable awning?
It really depends on your specific needs. If ease of use is what you’re looking for and you don’t mind spending more, motorized would likely work better for your needs. However, if you don’t want to spend as much and you don’t want to rely on electricity, a manual retractable awning would be a better choice.
It is hard to install a retractable awning?
It depends on your ability levels. Typically, retractable awnings come with installation manuals that offer step-by-step instructions; however, do note that you will likely need an extra set of hands or two in order to install it. If you aren’t comfortable with doing the job yourself, hiring someone to install it for you may be a better choice.
A retractable awning is a great way to provide as-needed shade for outdoor spaces. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to select the highest quality retractable awning to meet your specific needs.