You invite your guests around for a weekend cookout to enjoy the good weather of the summer. After the cooking is over, you settle down on your deck to enjoy the evening. However, as the sun goes down, you need to pull out the candles to light up the deck and prolong your evening.
After going to the kitchen to fetch the candles, you arrive outside to find that your matches are wet from last night’s rain. Now what? How are you going to light up the deck? In a last-ditch effort to bring light to the sitting area, you turn on your cellphone torch. Needless to say, it kills the atmosphere, and everyone decides to go home.
Turn your dark deck into a well-lit entertainment area using solar deck lights. Solar deck lights are easy to install, and most of them come with an automatic operation, turning on the light as they detect the darkness approaching.
Solar lights come in packs of three to eight lights, and you can set them up on any size deck. You have options for wall-mounted lights or lights for your steps. This post will look at the best solar deck lights and make recommendations on top models.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Solar Deck Light Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Solar Deck Lights Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What Do I Look for in the Best Solar Deck Lights?
- 4.1.1 Light Brightness
- 4.1.2 Solar Capacity and Quality
- 4.1.3 Battery
- 4.1.4 Fast Recharging and Long Run Time
- 4.1.5 Light Color
- 4.1.6 Lighting Angle and Range
- 4.1.7 Design and Styling
- 4.1.8 Weather Resistance
- 4.1.9 Automatic Timers
- 4.1.10 Fixtures and Hardware Included
- 4.1.11 LED Service Life
- 4.1.12 Budget and Price
- 4.1.13 Manufacturers Warranty
- 4.2 Tips for Using Your Solar Deck Lights
- 4.1 What Do I Look for in the Best Solar Deck Lights?
- 5 Solar Deck Lights FAQs
- 6 Solar Deck Lights – The Verdict
After finalizing our top eight models, we decided on these three lights as our top picks. We have options to suit any décor and any budget. Choose the right deck light system for your yard, and light up your life.
- Best Pick: Sunface Solar Deck Lights
These attractive and stylish deck lights come in a 6-pack for spreading around your deck. You get three lighting modes, including RGB functionality. These lights are weather resistant and waterproof, ensuring you get a long service life. The solar panel on this model gives enough battery charge for eight to ten hours of light. These deck lights also feature automatic operation, turning on at dark and off at sunrise.
- Premium Pick: Greluna Solar Deck Lights
These Greluna deck lights are our top choice for the best premium model in this review. You get a stylish design, and you get an IP65 waterproof rating for weather resistance. These lights feature a large solar panel, charging the battery for eight to ten hours of consistent operation on your deck. You get two color modes for the lights, offering you a warm white or RGB lighting system with seven colors. These lights also feature automatic operation, and you get eight lights with your purchase.
- Budget Pick: Sunface Decorative Solar Deck Lights
Homeowners looking for the best budget deck lights in this review will get plenty of value out of this system. You get two color modes, featuring warm white light, and RGB in seven different colors. You get a 12-month warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee on your purchase. These lights have an exquisite design, casting beautiful patterns on your deck during the evening. You also get automatic operation with these Sunface lights.
Solar Deck Light Reviews
After reading through our top picks, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other deck lights we think are worthy of installing in your home.
Sunface Solar Deck Lights
If you’re looking to brighten up your deck with a set of stylish solar lights, we recommend going with this Sunface model. These lights are an excellent addition to any deck, and you get six lights included with your purchase.
These lights have a unique design, giving the light area a crystal look, providing an eye-pleasing aesthetic to your deck. These lights come in three lighting colors. You have options for warm white and cool white light and RBG lighting, where the light randomly switches between seven different colors.
These lights come with a low-light sensor, switching them on automatically in low-light conditions. You get between eight to ten hours of lighting, depending on the weather and the charge level in your lights.
These Sunface deck lights feature the latest in solar technology, with the polysilicon solar strip converting up to 19.5% of sunlight into electricity for the unit. The solar panel on this lighting system provides years of reliable use, and you won’t notice a decline in your lights’ operating life over time.
This Sunface model comes with an IP65 waterproof rating, and it withstands extreme weather conditions. You get easy installation and mounting, with all hardware for installation included with your purchase. These Sunface lights win our award for the best overall deck lights in this review.
- Attractive crystal design.
- Three operating colors.
- Solar-powered automatic operation.
- IP65 waterproof rating.
- All mounting hardware included.
- Easy installation with no wires.
Greluna Solar Deck Lights
These Greluna solar deck lights win our award for the best premium model in this review. These solar-powered deck lights come with a stylish design that suits both traditional and modern homes. You get an eight-pack of lights with enough coverage for the largest decks.
These deck lights come with two lighting modes. You have an option for warm white light or rotation through seven RGB colors. The warm white light features a 3000K color, enough to provide adequate lighting to your deck without giving it a sterile and cold look.
These solar-powered lights feature large, efficient panels that convert up to 19% of all sun rays into electrical energy to power the light. This model comes with built-in 600-Mah rechargeable batteries, providing up to 10-hours of consistent lighting around your deck.
These lights come with an auto light sensor, switching on when the light starts to fade in the evening. They’ll also turn off automatically during sunrise. This kit comes with all the hardware you need to set up your lights on your deck in minutes.
The attractive ellipse and cross design on these lights bring more character to your deck, with an elegant look. These solar-powered deck lights are weatherproof, with an IP65 weather rating.
- Stylish and attractive design.
- 8 to 10-hour service life.
- Two-color modes, with RGB lighting in 7-colors.
- IP65 water resistance rating.
- Automatic on/off function.
- 600-Mah rechargeable battery.
Sunface Decorative Solar Deck Lights
If you’re looking for a classic design with your lights, we recommend going with this Sunface model. These lights have a traditional feel to the design, and we think they’ll look great around your deck, bringing a sense of design flair to the living area.
These lights feature two color modes, offering you a warm white color and an RGB lighting mode where the lights switch between seven different colors for an attractive lighting effect. The lights feature a large solar panel, converting around 19% of all sunlight into energy to power the system.
These lights come with a built-in rechargeable battery and enough service life to provide eight hours of lighting at night. The solar panel also detects sunlight levels, switching the lights on when it gets dark and turning it off in the morning at sunrise.
You get a 12-month warranty with these lights and a 60-day money-back guarantee. You get an IP65 weatherproof rating with these lights and easy mounting with all hardware included with your purchase.
These lights are affordable, and our recommendation for the best budget buy in this review.
- Warm white light and RGB lighting modes with seven colors.
- Powerful solar panel for quick charging.
- Eight to ten hours service life at night.
- Attractive traditional design.
- All hardware included for mounting.
- 12-month warranty and 60-day money-back warranty.
JackyLED Solar Deck Lights
Does your deck have steps? If you don’t light them up at night, it could result in slip-and-falls with your family or guests. Lighting up the deck floor is the best way to ensure you avoid these accidents. These deck lights are the ideal choice for mounting to your steps around the area.
These lights come with design and construction featuring durable stainless steel. You get long-lasting and corrosion-resistant housing that lasts a lifetime. These lights come in an eight pack, giving you plenty of lights for the steps around your deck or on the front porch.
Each light contains three bright LEDs, and you get your choice of six colors for your lighting, including warm and cool white, blue, green, red, and yellow/orange. Choose the color that suits your deck and décor, and order your lights today.
These step lights come with large solar panels converting up to 19% of the sun’s energy into electricity to run the lights at night. Each light also features a sensor that detects low light conditions, automatically turning on the light.
The built-in 1,000-Mah battery in this model lasts longer than most other step lights, giving you up to 10-hours of lighting, depending on the charge in the battery and the lighting conditions during the day. These lights come with an IP44 weather-resistant rating, and the stainless steel housing never corrodes.
- Ideal for steps around the deck.
- Stainless steel housing for corrosion resistance and durability.
- Your choice of six colors.
- 1,000-Mah battery gives up to 10-hours service life.
- Automatic on/off operation.
- IP44 weather resistance.
Loftek Solar Deck Lights
Do you have a home with a traditional or rustic design? These deck lights are the perfect choice to offset your home décor. These lights come in an eight-pack, providing plenty of coverage for your deck. These lights’ standout feature is the intricate design, creating an artistic throw effect on the light, dispersing it around your deck. The flower pattern on the housing creates a mesmerizing visual effect around your deck.
You get a 600-Mah battery included with each light, giving you a 2-year service life. These lights feature large solar panels converting around 19% of sunlight into energy to power the light. Each light comes with independent sensors that detect low-light conditions. The lights switch on and off automatically, but you also can use the on/off switch.
A full charge gives you enough light for up to 10-hours at night, and you get an IP54 weather rating for water resistance and extreme weather protection. The housing of this model consists of ABS plastic for fade resistance and durability.
You get easy installation, with all hardware included in your purchase. Unlike the other models in this review, these lights are only available in a warm white color. However, warm white is the ideal color setting for traditional homes, adding more ambiance to the atmosphere around your deck.
- Stylish flower design in the housing for diffused light.
- Warm white lighting.
- 600-Mah battery for 10-hour service life.
- Solar charging an automatic operation.
- IP54 weather-rated.
- ABS plastic housing for durability.
- 100% customer satisfaction grantee.
Sezac Solar Deck Lights
This six-pack of solar deck lights is ideal for lighting up your outdoor living area. These lights come with an adjustable detection range of up to 16-feet. The tree working modes allow for dim long-light. Strong sensor mode and motion sensor mode. Switch between each setting easily to suit your requirements.
You get a wide 150-degree lighting and motion sensor angle, providing a wide beam of light around your deck. These lights come with a 2,000-Mah battery included, providing up to 24-hours of light. The powerful solar panels on this model charge the unit in six to eight hours, depending on lighting conditions.
Each light contains 50 LEDs, providing a bright and powerful beam. The intelligent mode on this system detects low-light conditions, turning your lights on and off automatically to suit lighting conditions. The housing on these lights features design and construction with ABS plastics for superior weather resistance and long service life.
You get an easy installation in minutes, with all hardware included with your purchase for fast mounting to your deck area. These lights are affordable considering the high-quality design and high-performance they offer.
While you don’t get RGB lighting with this model, it offers you a functional and effective light for use around your deck.
- Long battery life.
- Fast charging.
- ABS plastic housing for durability.
- IP65 waterproofing and weather resistance.
- Motion sensor included.
- Wide-angle light throw.
Sunface Semi-Circular Decorative Deck Lights
This four-pack of solar-powered deck lights is another attractive option for your outdoor living area. These lights create a stylish visual around your deck, with the semi-circular lights providing a crystal-like visual effect.
The wide-angle light throws soft light around your deck, and you have the option of switching between three lighting modes. These lights come with a warm-white, cool-white, and RGB color setting that cycles between 7 different colors.
The large solar panel absorbs light, converting up to 19% of the energy into power for the light. These lights also feature an automatic operation. The sensors detect low-light conditions, switching on the light automatically. When the sun rises in the morning, the lights automatically switch off.
You get an easy installation of these lights around your deck, and the manufacturer offers a 12-month warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Three lighting modes with warm, cool, and RGB settings.
- Automatic on/off operation.
- Fast charging with 8-hour service life.
- 12-month warranty.
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Easy installation.
Davinci Flexfit Solar Deck Lights
This two-pack of lights is ideal for a smaller deck. However, you can scale up the lights to suit any size deck, add an extra pack or two of lights, and you’ll have all the light you need to keep your deck lit at night.
These lights come with a stylish and classic design, looking like old-school lanterns around your deck. These lights can attach to fence posts or mount them on the top of the wall. You get design and construction with ABS plastics for durability and weather resistance. The housing won’t fade under the sun’s UV rays, and you get an IP44 weatherproof rating for the system.
You get eight to ten hours of light from these units with an automatic operation. The sensors detect low-light levels, switching on the lights automatically; they also turn off automatically as the sun rises the following morning.
You get warm-white LEDs included with these lights, providing a relaxed ambiance around your deck. The lights come with a 3000K color, ideal for non-intrusive lighting around your deck. These lights come with easy installation and all hardware included with your purchase.
- Attractive design.
- Suitable for mounting on walls and posts.
- Warm-white LEDs.
- Wide-angle light throw.
- ABS plastic housing for durability and fade resistance.
- IP44 weather rating.
Other Best Selling Options
- 【POLYSILICON SOLAR PANEL】The panel of step lights outdoor solar powered adapts poly-silicon， with a good performance on high-power generation, high temperature and low light performance. The photoelectric conversion of this deck lights solar powered waterproof reaches 18%, which can be fully charged in 4-5 hours right under sunlight, and the working hours last up to 10-14 hours, meeting most of the daily lighting needs.
- 【DUSK TO DAWN MODE】The solar panels also functions as a dusk to dawn sensor. It works automatically once being installed exposed under the sun. Being charge during the day, these outdoor deck lights turns on automatically at night. KIALUSH solar lights for steps contribute to free your hands and save electricity costs, making your lighting life simpler and greener.
- 【Affordable 20 Pack】Set of 20 pack solar lights for fence to meet basic lighting needs and decorative needs. It is a cost-effective step lights outdoor and can be used in most outdoor or indoor occasions, such as steps, fences, railings, wall edges, decks, stairs and etc.
- 【SMALL AND PRACTICAL】the fence solar lights are light and tiny; can be quickly installed and used with two small screws. With the L-shaped design, the electric panel and the light part are relatively small and thin; will not destroy the original view and feel of the site after installation. The simple and modern lines are suitable for backyard, commercial or public decoration.
- 【High Quality and Technical Improvement】The garden lights solar powered adopt high quality material and poly-crystalline silicon solar panels. Strong and durable, won’t break after long-term use. Barrier design inferior resists rain, dusk or sand, it’s an ideal outdoor solar light for outdoor venues. A 2-year warranty for solar step lights outdoor is offered; if you encounter any quality problems or operation problems during the use, please contact us, we will deal with it within 48 hours.
- 【Warm White Light】The 16 pack solar step lights offer warm light, just the right amount of warm glow which decorates your home or garden beautifully, enough to light up your yard and not feel the glare. Charging time:6-8H, Working time:8-10H
- 【Waterproof& Durable】The lights are made of durable ABS plastic to withstand many types of weather, will not easily deformed in the wind, snow or rain. The solar panels are sealed with waterproof glue, which can work well even after storms.
- 【Easy Installation】No wires required, super easy to install. You can use the screws or tapes(Will not leave a hole on your deck) included with the package, place it vertically or lay down flat along any edge of the stair, deck, fence, steps.
- 【Widely Use & Multipurpose】Comes with the screws and glues, the lights can be placed almost anywhere outdoors. They can be used for lighting and decoration. You can put it on stairs, steps, decks to light up the front door, patio, yard, driveway, outdoor wall.
- 【Worry-Free Shopping】Packing includes: 16 pack lights, 32 screws, 16 glues, a user manual. No cost lighting, the lights automatically turn on from dusk to dawn.
- 【Warm Light without Dazzling】Warm white led of this deck light is enough for you to illuminate your fence, deck, step, patio, yard or garden, which is safer for the whole family to go downstairs at night.
- 【Automatic Work Mode】The solar stair light has no switch, just pull out the insulator tab to use. On sunny days, it takes only 4-5 hours to be fully charged. It can turn on automatically at dusk and turn off at dawn.
- 【Widespread Use】The solar fence lights outdoor perfect for illuminating stairs, paths, gardens, decks, also use lighting front door, back yard, driveway, garage, outdoor wall and so on.
- 【Easy Installation】The deck lights solar powered can be installed in anywhere that can be fixed with screws. The size is suit for the deck, no worry about tripping.
- 【Waterproof and Warranty】With hard ABS shell and high quality solar panel, the solar deck light is designed to withstand rain, wind, or small snowy days . What’s more, in any case you have problem, just contact us, we will help you solve the problem as soon as possible.
Solar Deck Lights Buyer’s Guide
After reading through our top models in this review, you’re probably wondering which set will work best on your deck. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about choosing the right solar lights for your deck.
What Do I Look for in the Best Solar Deck Lights?
If you’re thinking about purchasing a set of solar-powered deck lights, make sure your prospective model has the following features.
The brightness of the light sets the ambiance on the deck. If you have a bright light, it’s going to cause a sense of discomfort in your guests.
We recommend looking for lighting systems that offer you two or three different lighting modes and colors. Warm white light is the best choice for entertaining guests on the patio. Warm white light emits a soft glow, sort of like a candle.
When you go to bed, or if no-one is using the deck, switch to cool white. This light is a good choice for security, lighting up the area to reduce criminal activity in your yard.
Solar Capacity and Quality
Look for lights that offer you the latest generation of solar technology. Modern solar panels on your deck lights can convert around 19% of sunlight into energy for your light. Your solar panel should be durable and weather resistant.
Look for deck lights that come with rechargeable batteries. You’ll need a 600-Mah battery to provide your deck with eight hours of light.
It’s important to note that lithium-ion batteries eventually start to lose capacity after around a year. You’ll eventually start to see less and less performance out of your light, and you’ll need to replace the battery to restore its performance.
Fast Recharging and Long Run Time
The best solar deck lights feature a fast recharge time, filling the battery from empty in six hours. As mentioned, most solar-powered lights offer you an 8 to 10-hour run time, depending on the onboard battery’s size.
Choose a model that offers you multiple lighting modes. If you want a soft candle-light effect on your deck, make sure you get a model with warm white color options. The best light temperature for warm white is 3000K, providing you that soft glow without feeling intrusive.
Some models come with RGB lighting included. This lighting system cycles the light through seven colors to create a mesmerizing effect. RGB is a good choice if you entertain and like to host parties on your deck.
Lighting Angle and Range
Most deck lights offer you a 120-degree lighting range. As a result, you need several lights paced equally apart to light up your deck. Some lights come with angles as wide as 150-degrees. Check the throw on your light to see the recommended distance the light travels over the deck.
Design and Styling
Deck lights come in various designs and styles. As the technology improves, there are more designs launched each year. You have the option of choosing a deck light to match the décor in your outdoor living area.
Some models come with an exquisite design on the housing, casting a decorative pattern onto your deck. If you have a modern home, you’ll do better with a clean design in your light. However, traditional and rustic homes have more options for variety in design and styling.
Your deck light is a permanent outdoor fixture. Therefore, it must have an IP rating for weather resistance. IP44, IP45, and IP65 water-resistant ratings are the most common options in deck lights. This rating provides you with all the protection your light needs from the rain and extreme weather conditions.
The best deck lights come with a sensor that detects the light levels in your outdoor living area. When the sensors detect low-light conditions, it activates your light for the night. When the sun rises, the sensors detect the incoming sun rays and shut down the light.
This automatic operation is convenient, and you’ll never have to worry about turning off your lights at night. Automatic operation is a must-have feature for your deck lights.
Fixtures and Hardware Included
Does your light come with all the fixtures and hardware included? The last thing you need is to make a trip to the hardware store when installing your lights.
Ensure that you get a battery included with your lights, as they can be somewhat expensive – especially if you have to buy eight of them.
LED Service Life
Make sure you choose a lighting system from a reputable brand. The best brands use high-quality LEDs that last for up to 15-years. The best option is PV cells, giving you a service life of up to 20-years.
Budget and Price
When purchasing your deck lights, set a budget and stick to it. It’s easy to find yourself getting carried away with ordering the best light you can find. However, you might find that a budget model has everything you need to light up your deck.
Check that your deck lights come with a manufacturer’s warranty. LED lights can be somewhat unreliable, and if the light conks out on you, you need to know you can exchange it with the seller or get a refund. Most models, like the Sunface, come with a 12-month warranty.
Tips for Using Your Solar Deck Lights
Pick a solar deck light offering you easy installation. Deck lights suit mounting on walls or fence posts, and they also work on deck steps to light up the floor.
Follow these tips to make the most out of your new deck lights.
- Turn on the switch and leave the light to charge for at least 6-hours before your first use. We recommend installing it first thing in the morning to get as long a charging time as possible.
- Make sure no tree branches or plants are blocking the solar panel from receiving light.
- Look for models with an automatic operation to save battery life.
- If your light starts to look weak after a year or so, it’s time to change the battery.
- Make sure that you check the light settings before you turn on the light for the first time.
Solar Deck Lights FAQs
Do I leave my solar lights on all the time?
Yes, most of the models in this review come with a permanent operation. Lights like the Sunface models in this review come with light detectors. The sensors activate the light when it starts to detect low-light conditions. The sensors also turn the light off when the sun rises in the morning.
How long do solar deck lights work for between charges?
A solar deck light needs sunlight to charge, even if it’s indirect rays on cloudy days. The duration of the operation depends on the size of the battery used in the setup. For a 600-Mah battery, you can expect to get between eight to ten hours of light off a single charge.
Will solar lights charge in overcast conditions?
Yes, solar lights will charge in overcast conditions. The recent advancements in solar tech make it possible to harvest the sun’s rays on cloudy days. Sure, you won’t get the same charge as you do on sunny days.
Where can I buy the best solar deck lights?
We recommend picking up your deck lights on Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer. Amazon gives you the best pricing, and Prime members get free shipping. Amazon gives you hassle-free exchanges and returns, and you get buyer protection on your order.
Solar Deck Lights – The Verdict
Lighting up your deck for the evening creates an ambiance that makes it enjoyable to spend the evening outdoors. Solar lights don’t require any maintenance other than replacing the battery every year to 18-months.
After reading through the reviews and buyers guide, you should have a good idea of the right solar deck lights for your home. However, we understand if you’re having a hard time settling on your preferred settings.
If that’s the case, why not go with one of our top picks?
- Sunface Solar Deck Lights are our top choice for the best overall deck lights in this review. You get an attractive design, with an option for three color modes, including RGB lighting in seven colors. These lights are easy to install, and they come with a 12-month warranty.
- Greluna Solar Deck Lights are our choice for the best premium buy in this review. You get three lighting modes with RGB lighting in seven colors. These lights are weather and water-resistant, and they come with automatic operation.
- Surface Decorative Solar Deck Lights are our choice for the best budget buy in this review. You get an attractive design, easy installation, and a 12-month warranty. These lights are an excellent choice for homeowners looking for an affordable deck lighting solution.