Relaxing on your deck or patio in the evening is a pleasurable way to enjoy the warm summer nights. However, sitting outside by candlelight isn’t the best option. Sure, it’s romantic, but you can’t see further than three feet in front of you.
It would help if you had lights for your patio. Lighting gives you the best coverage of the outdoor living space. It allows you to enjoy the deck or patio with your family and friends without worrying about the candles dying. You have plenty of outdoor lighting options, but going with a solar-powered device is the best choice.
Why pay money for electricity to power your lights when you can get solar energy for free? Solar lights are efficient, and technology advanced a lot in the last decade. Now you get a system that lasts all night, without dimming.
Solar lights come in various configurations, but this review looks at the best solar string lights available. These systems are easy to set up and take down in a few minutes, and they suit use on the deck, patio, or porch. Let’s look at the top models for your yard.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Solar String Lights Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Solar String Lights Buyers Guide
- 4.1 How Do Solar String Lights Work?
- 4.2 What are the Types of Solar String Lights?
- 4.3 What Do I Look for In Solar String Lights?
- 5 Solar String Lights FAQs
- 6 Solar String Lights – The Verdict
We looked through the top listings online to come up with our eight options for this review. From those eight, we selected these three models as our top solar string light picks.
We have an option for the best overall, premium, and budget models, giving you a choice to suit your needs and budget.
- Best Pick: Mr. Beams Solar String Lights
These solar string lights from Mr. Beam win our award for the best overall solar lights in this review. You get a 54-foot cord with 24 S14 glass bulbs. The bulbs are crack resistant, offering 90-lumens of light and a non-intrusive low lighting effect that looks great in any outdoor living space. You get a stake-mounted solar panel with a 4,400-Mah battery included with your purchase.
- Premium Pick: DGO Solar String Lights
These DGO solar string lights are our choice for the best premium model in this review. You get three lighting modes with cool and warm-white light and an RBG option with seven colors. There are 15 lights on a 48-foot cable, and you get S14 bulbs for crack and scratch-resistance. These lights are expensive, and they require you to purchase a separate solar panel and battery. However, if you’re looking for the best party lights for your yard, it’s a great option.
- Budget Pick: JMEXSUSS Solar String Lights
Homeowners looking for the best budget buy in this review will get the most value out of these solar string lights from JMEXSUSS. You get 100 LEDs on a 32.8-foot wire. There are eight lighting modes, and you get a solar panel included with your purchase. There’s an automatic on/off function, and these lights come with an IP44 weatherproof rating.
Solar String Lights Reviews
After reading though our top picks, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other string light models that are a good fit for your outdoor solar lighting solution.
Mr. Beams Solar String Lights
Bring some light into your yard with these solar string lights from Mr. Beam. These string lights provide you with a soft ambiance that’s ideal for use on the porch, patio, or deck. You get a string of 24 glass S14 bulbs featuring a soft warm-white glow creating an eye-pleasing aesthetic.
These string lights come with a 54-foot cord, featuring spacing of 1.7-feet between each light. You get a total lighting area of 18-feet, with each bulb using 0.6-Watts. The result is an energy-efficient setup that lasts throughout the night.
These solar string lights from Mr. Beam feature a stake-mounted solar panel, converting up to 18% of all solar energy on the panel into electricity for your lights. These lights operate for eight to ten hours on a single charge, with a 4,400-Mah battery pack powering the lights.
These lights offer quick and easy installation; just drape them around your railings or balustrades or off the wall. Each bulb produces 90-lumens of light for a low-light effect that brightens up the exterior living areas around your home.
These bulbs come with a maximum operating temperature of 140F and an IP65 weatherproof rating. You get a maximum of 880-watts per run for low-cost lighting around your home.
- 24-bulbs with 1.7-foot spacing.
- Soft warm-white color.
- 4,400-Mah solar-powered battery.
- Efficient solar technology.
- 90-lumens output per bulb.
- Eight to ten hours operation on a full charge.
DGO Solar String Lights
If you’re looking to brighten up your yard with some solar string lights, try this setup from DGO. These lights are the ideal choice for versatility. You get color options for warm and cool-white light, as well as an RGB mode that rotates through seven colors.
Whether you’re relaxing with friends on the deck or hosting a party, these lights have a lighting mode to suit any occasion. These lights come with a commercial-grade design, featuring shatterproof bulbs that last a lifetime. They don’t scratch or dull in the sun, and you get consistent operation for years.
The advanced LED chip technology in these lights provides a powerful lighting action, and you get an IP65 weatherproof rating that’s resistant to snow, rain, wind, sun, and other extreme weather events. These solar string lights come with a 48-foot cable, 15 light positions, and 1.6-Watt S14 bulbs.
The bulbs are IP65 water-resistant against rain and extreme weather. These lights last 10-times longer than standard outdoor incandescent lightbulbs. The S14 certification on these bulbs means they are shatterproof and resistant to scratching.
These lights also come with a remote, giving you full control over the lighting effect on your patio or deck. If you’re looking for the best premium outdoor solar lighting in this review, these lights are a top choice.
- Three lighting modes, with warm, cool, and RGB effects.
- Remote control.
- S14 bulbs for long service life.
- IP65 weather rating.
- Scratch-resistant and shatterproof.
- 15-bulbs on a 48-foot wire.
JMEXSUSS Solar Wire String Lights
Homeowners looking for an affordable way to light up their yard will love these solar string lights from JMEXSUSS. You get a string of cool white lights with 100 LEDs and a 32.8-foot silver wire. These lights make for the ideal decorative touch on the patio or around the deck.
The wire isn’t visible in the dark, creating a mesmerizing visual effect with the cool white LEDs. You get eight lighting modes, featuring Waves, Fading, Combination, Chasing, Fireflies, Twinkle, Slow Fade, and a Steady-on function.
These lights operate off solar power, with the solar stake included with your purchase. Connect the panel to the stake without using any tools, and set it up in a sunny spot in your yard. These lights operate for eight to ten hours off a single charge.
You get an automatic on/off function, with sensors detecting fading light conditions and the sunrise. These lights come with an IP44 weather rating, and they operate in rain and snow conditions. The wire offers 360-degree flexion, letting you twist it around fixtures.
- Tin silver wire disappears from view at night.
- 100 LEDs on a 32.8-foot wire.
- 8 lighting modes.
- Operates for eight to ten hours off a single charge.
- Automatic on/off operation.
JMEXSUSS Round Solar String Lights
These string lights from JMEXSUSS are another attractive solar lighting option for your yard. There’s a 3.5-inch gap between each LED, and you get a 6.6-foot lead wire to the solar panel. The panel offers a 270-degree adjustment to suit the sun’s angle as it passes overhead during the daytime. You get an eight to ten-hour service life off a single charge.
These lights come with a 75.5-foot wire, featuring LEDs spaced 3.5″ apart. There’s a 6.6-foot lead cable leading to the solar panel, with a thin silver wire connecting the lights.
You can twist the wire around obstacles, using it to position the lights. These lights come with eight lighting modes, including Waves, Fading, Combination, Chasing, Fireflies, Twinkle, Slow Fade, and a Steady-on function.
These lights come with an IP44 waterproof rating, and you can leave them outdoors as a permanent fixture. You get 200 LEDs along the length of the wire, with automatic on/off operation.
You get a solar panel and stake included with your purchase, and the solar panel swivels 270-degrees on the stake for the optimal light collection angle. Mount these lights anywhere in your yard for a mesmerizing effect.
- 200 LEDs on a 75.5-foot wire.
- IP44 waterproof rating.
- Eight lighting modes.
- Solar panel twists 270-degrees.
- Warm white glow.
- Automatic on/off operation.
HUPULL Solar String Lights
The decorative solar string lights from HUPULL are another excellent choice for lighting up your deck or patio. These lights come on a 98.6-foot copper wire, with 400 LEDs spaced every 3.5-inches. You can twist the copper wire 360-degrees, allowing for a customizable setup for your deck or patio.
You get eight lighting modes with these lights, including Steady On, Waves, Chasing, Combination, Fading, Twinkle, Fireflies, and Slow Fade. The warm orange glow from these lights provides a subtle effect around the outdoor living area.
These lights come with a solar-powered operation. You get a solar panel and stake included with your purchase and an easy snap-together setup with no need for any tools. These lights operate for up to 10-hours off a single charge, with an eight-hour charging time.
The solar panel acts as the control hub for your lights, featuring a 1,800-Mah lithium-ion battery that lasts for hours. The solar panel is efficient, converting around 18% of light to energy to power the LEDs. You also get an auto on/off function that turns the lights off at sunrise and on at sunset.
You get IP65 weather-resistance with these lights. This rating makes them suitable to leave out in the rain and snow without damaging the LEDs or connections. The insulated copper wire doesn’t present a shock risk if you touch the wire during operation.
- 400 warm white LEDs on a 98.6-foot wire.
- Solar panel included.
- Automatic on/off operation.
- Eight lighting modes.
- IP65 weatherproof rating.
BrightTown Solar String Lights
If you’re looking for a decorative aesthetic on your porch, patio, or deck, consider these round lights from Brightown. You get a 36.5-foot string with 60 warm-white LEDs. These lights come with eight lighting modes, including Steady on, wave, combination, sequential, gradual, slow fade, chasing flash, and twinkle flash.
The dedicated solar panel absorbs 18% of sunlight, converting it into energy. The solar panels store the energy in an 800-Mah battery, providing you up to eight to ten hours of light of a single charge.
The bulbs feature an intricate design, with a bubbling effect in the glass that diffuses the light. You get a subtle light effect that’s great for creating a relaxing ambiance on your deck or patio.
These lights come with automatic on/off operation, turning on during dusk when the light gets low. They also switch off when the sunrises. You get an IP65 weatherproof rating making the lights resistant to rain and bad weather.
- 5-foot string and 60 bulbs.
- IP65 weatherproof rating.
- 800-Mah battery.
- Attractive bulb design disperses light.
- Automatic on/off operation.
- Eight lighting modes.
JMEXSUSS Short Solar String Lights
This set of solar string lights is another excellent product from JMEXSUSS. These string lights feature a 66-foot wire with 200 cool-white LEDs. It’s a great choice for a decorative feature and suits the deck, patio, porch, or even trees and bushes around your yard.
The silver wire won’t shock you if you touch it during operation, and you can twist the wire 360-degrees to fit on any surface. You get eight lighting modes with these lights, including Steady on, wave, combination, sequential, gradual, slow fade, chasing flash, and twinkle flash.
These lights attach to a staked solar panel included with your purchase. The panel’s fitment to the stake doesn’t require tools, and you can swivel the head 270-degrees on the stake. The panel absorbs sunlight, covering around 18% of it to electricity to power the lights. On a full charge, you can expect a service life of eight to ten hours.
These lights also come with an automatic on/off function, switching on in low-light conditions and turning off when the panel detects the early morning sun. These lights come with an IP44 waterproof rating, making them resistant to rain and extreme weather conditions.
- 200 Cool white LEDs on a 66-foot wire.
- Silver wire disappears from view at night.
- Solar panel swivels 270-degrees.
- 8 to 10-hour service life.
- Automatic on/off operation.
- IP44 waterproof rating.
Honche Solar String Lights
These Honche solar string lights are a stylish and funky choice for your yard. If you’re looking to bring some color into your yard, then these solar string lights are your best option. They’re a great choice for entertainment areas, bringing excitement to the ambiance in the outdoor area.
You get 100 color LEDs on a 33-foot wire, with a 6.6-foot lead wire connecting to the solar panel. The solar panel is efficient, powering the lights to a full charge in around eight hours. You can expect a service life of eight to ten hours from this setup on a full charge.
These lights feature eight lighting modes; Steady on, slow fade, flicker, quicker flicker, slower glow, sequential, and waves. You get a solar stake included with your purchase and a high-quality solar panel. The panel converts up to 18% of sunlight into energy to power the lights.
The panel charges an 800-Mah lithium-ion battery, with a polysilicon rear panel providing optimal light absorption and conversion to power your lights. You also get an automatic on/off function with these lights. The sensor in the solar panel detects fading light, switching on in low light conditions. The lights turn off and start charging when the solar sensors detect the sunrise.
- Colorful lighting design.
- Eight lighting modes.
- Automatic on/off.
- 100 color LEDs.
- 800-Mah lithium-ion battery.
Other Best Selling Options
- Ideal Solar Outdoor Lights: 27 ft long durable string lights with 12 LED lights and detachable solar panel with on/off switch located on the back. 20" between bulbs, 6' from solar panel to the first bulb. The lighted portion is 20 feet. LED bulbs last 20,000 hours and solar panel is rated at 1,000 charge lifespan (can last approximately 2.5 years). Direct sunlight is best for a full charge, though you can get some use from charging in indirect light.
- Commercial Grade WeatherProof Patio Lights with Shatterproof S14 Bulbs: Brightech’s Ambience Pros hanging string light has our WeatherTite technology - withstood winds up to 50MPH, rain & snow. The bulbs are shatterproof plastic shells, with heat resistance up to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. Flexible heavy-duty cord withstands the wear of indoor and outdoor use.
- Flexible Installation & Widely used Patio Lights: Solar patio lights string don't need an outlet, place the solar panel almost anywhere with the included stake and clip. Brightech outdoor decorative bistro lights are the perfect decoration for balcony terrace, garden, Bistro, pergola, gazebo, tent, barbecue, city roof, market, cafe, umbrella, dinner, wedding, birthday, party etc.
- Elegant Romantic Ambiance: Brightech outdoor LED string lights use vintage Edison Bulbs. Install this hanging lights string as a canopy over your porch or gazebo for a retro bistro look and a pleasant party ambience. Make your outdoor space to be an enticing, relaxing and soothing retreat with Brightech LED outdoor lights. 3000K soft white lights are bright enough to grill and eat. Enjoy until late: They last 5-6 hours on a full charge, i.e. 6 hours of direct sunlight.
- THE WARRANTY: Our solar string lights are built to last, and we stand behind that. That's why we offer an industry-leading 2-year limited warranty on all solar purchases from Brightech USA, including any defects, malfunctions, or sudden failures to your string light. If you experience any trouble with this solar string light, don't hesitate to reach out to our all-star customer support for help.
- Super brilliant fairy lights: 1 pack 72feet long string with 200 super bright led bulbs made of thin and flexible wire. Led string lights produce a purple glow, will easily build the shapes you want, like wrapping around the trees or decor your gardens, porch, yard, patio, balcony and more
- 8 lighting modes: This solar string lights have on and off power switches and 8 different lighting modes. Beautiful, bright, and brilliant lighting modes which include combination, waves, sequential, slow glow, chasing/flash, slow fade, twinkle/flash, and steady-on are exceptional in creating different aesthetic atmosphere within your environment. Decorate anywhere without harmful extension cords
- Long lasting and ecofriendly: Super brilliant solar powered led string lights, light sensor controls the lights will auto lights up at night and off during the day. Built in rechargeable NI-MH battery, so you don't need an outdoor outlet and you save money on electricity. A full charge takes 8 hours of sunlight and suffices for 8 to 12 hours
- Waterproof and easy to install: These solar string lights are solidly engineered to stand any weather, either rain, sun, or snow. All the components are IP66 waterproof enabled, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage without any worry of short circuit or weather damage. Easy to set up with two switches and ground stake
- Widely used: These fairy string lights are suitable for outdoor lighting, create a beautiful ambiance for Christmas, wedding, holiday, new year, garden, patio, backyard, deck, bistro, cafe, pergola, gazebo, garden, lawn, market, party and many other occasions or events decor
- 【Upgraded 2-Pack Super Bright Solar String Lights】: Cute shape with powerful 1200mAh Capacity Battery. Super Bright Total 200 LED with Upgraded Larger LED Beads. 8 Lighting Modes with Memory Function & Auto On/Off, IP65 Waterproof Performance.
- 【Solar Powered & Auto On/Off 】: This string light is solar powered, no electricity cost. Just place the battery panel in sunny area, it will automatically charge at daytime and light up at night.
- 【8 Lighting Modes & Memory Function】: These twinkle lights have the On/Off button and mode button. You can select 8 different modes to satisfy your diverse needs by pressing the mode button.And the built-in memory chip saves your last modes setting, so there is no need to reset it again.
- 【Widely Used Solar Fairy Lights】: Perfect for home decor, party decorations, wedding decorations, holiday decorations, patio, garden, backyard, fence, porch, tree, roof and so on.
- 【Efficient customer service】: We are proud to offer good service to all our customers. If you have any question please contact with us by your order, we will provide professional pre-sale service and after-sale service for you within 24hrs.
Solar String Lights Buyers Guide
After reading through our reviews of the best solar string lights, you probably have a few models in mind for your yard.
This section unpacks everything you need to know about solar string lights and what to look for in the best set for your patio, deck, or porch.
How Do Solar String Lights Work?
Solar string lights work on power converted by solar panels into electrical energy. As a result, they don’t need any connection to an electrical outlet. The result is free electricity for your lights and no addition to your monthly electric bill.
The solar panel absorbs sunlight, conveying between 18% to 19% of the light energy into electricity to charge the onboard lithium-ion battery pack. Typically, it takes between six to eight hours for the battery to reach a full charge, giving you eight to ten hours of lighting time in the evening.
The solar panel also includes sensors, detecting the fading light in the evening., When dusk arrives, the lights turn on by themselves, and they turn off automatically as the sun rises the following morning. As a result, you get a maintenance-free lighting system for your outdoor living areas.
The lithium-ion battery needs replacing every other year to keep your lighting system operating at full capacity. Fortunately, the batteries are readily available and affordable.
What are the Types of Solar String Lights?
Solar string lights come in a variety of options. You have fairy lights with small LEDs providing a low-light glow or large S14 bulbs producing more light.
Either option is good for your yard. However, the s14 bulbs typically have between 12 to 15-lights on the string, whereas fairy lights come with up to 400-LEDs on a string and wire lengths up to 100-feet.
What Do I Look for In Solar String Lights?
So, what do you look for in the best solar string lights for your outdoor living area? Let’s unpack the features of the best models in this review.
Light/ Lumen Output
The light or lumen output of the system refers to the amount of light the bulb produces. Lumen counts under 100 are softer light, while above 100-lumens starts to provide a stronger light source.
Your choice of lumen count depends on how you use your outdoor area. If you need to light up a big space, it’s better to go with a higher lumen count. If you’re lighting a smaller, more intimate environment, lumen counts below 90 are your best option.
The capacity of the Solar Panel
Solar panel technology progressed significantly over the last decade. The older generations of solar panels were inefficient, resulting in minimal lighting times that only last a few hours.
However, recent solar tech innovations mean that the panels absorb more light, converting around 18% to 20% of the solar energy into electricity.
Battery Life and Charging Time
Your battery size determines the longevity of your lighting system over the evening. Batteries under 600-Mah struggle to make it through the entire might without running out of energy.
However, some models come with battery capacities as high as 4,400-Mah, ensuring your battery always has a charge to power your lighting system optimally.
You’ll need to look for a solar panel that charges your battery in less than eight hours. Anything more than this, and the battery won’t reach full charge before the sun sets, resulting in less operational time during the evening.
When choosing your LEDs, make sure you understand the different color types offered by each system. Typically, LEDs come with a 3000K color brightness, ideal for soft lighting on your porch or deck.
You have the following three options when selecting your colors.
- Warm White – This color provides a soft amber glow from the LEDs. It’s ideal for creating an intimate ambiance around the patio or deck without feeling intrusive. However, warm-white light won’t light up the area as well as cool white.
- Cool White – This color provides your outdoor living area with that clear, white light that you see in security lights. It’s not the best choice for creating an atmosphere on your deck or patio. However, it’s a good choice if you want to light up the area as bright as possible.
- RGB – These lights offer you a rotating color pattern, switching between the colors at timed intervals. The RGB lighting is a great choice for hosting parties, providing an exciting feel to the lighting. However, RGB is an expensive accessory, and you’ll pay a higher price tag for this option.
As mentioned, the solar panels in your system feature a light sensor that detects fading light. When the sun goes down, the sensors automatically activate your lights. When the sun rises in the morning, the sensor turns the lights off, putting the system back into charging mode.
Bulb Types and LED Quality
The bulbs and LEDs in your lights play a significant role in the quality of your lighting system. Make sure you’re choosing a product with top-quality LEDs for the best service life.
All the systems in this review come with high-quality LEDs. S14 bulbs are the best choice if you’re going for a larger bulb type. S12 lights don’t crack, and they are scratch-resistant.
Length and Design
Solar string lights come in various lengths to suit your needs. Typically, the larger lights come in shorter lengths, up to 48-feet. However, most of them allow for daisy-chaining, letting you add multiple systems and solar panels to the setup.
Large bulb designs also have wider spaces between the lights because the bulbs have a stronger lighting effect than fairy lights. Fairy lights are thin strings with small LEDs attached to the wire every three inches or so.
These lights have a lower light emission, but they make up for it with more lights on the string, providing a subtle and intimate lighting effect for your yard.
Price and Your Budget
Solar lights can vary in price, but they aren’t terribly expensive. You can pick up a set of lights for less than $15, with top models costing you around $60.
Check out the options in this review, and set your budget.
Fitment and Installation
All the solar string light solutions in this review come with easy fitment and installation. You can have them ready to go in minutes. The solar panels stake into the ground for an easy setup and connection to your lights.
There’s no need for professional installation. It’s easy to hold these lights in place with a few basic fasteners. You can also wind fairy string lights around fixtures like wall posts and even bushes or trees. The flexible wire makes it easy to attach the lights to any surface.
Service Life and Warranty
Check the manufacturer’s warranty when picking up your lights. If you buy your string lights through Amazon, you get hassle-free returns if you don’t like the product.
Solar String Lights FAQs
Do solar string lights turn themselves off?
Yes, most models have a light sensor in the solar panel. These sensors detect low light conditions at night, turning on the lights. The sensors also detect the rising sun, turning off at daybreak.
Do solar string lights charge in overcast conditions?
Yes, your solar panel will pick up sunlight on cloudy days. However, you’re not going to get the same charging capacity as a bright sunny day.
What is the service life of solar string lights?
Most solar string lights last for between eight to 15-years, depending on the LED’s quality and the frequency of use.
Where can I buy the best solar string lights?
We recommend picking up your solar string lights from Amazon, the world’s largest online marketplace. Amazon has the best range of solar string lights at the best prices. If you’re a Prime member, you’ll get fast and free shipping to your door and buyer protection on your order.
Solar String Lights – The Verdict
Solar string lights help you light up your outdoor living space. You have plenty of options for bulbs and LEDs, with different colors and lighting modes available to suit any patio, deck, or porch.
After reading through the products in this review, you probably have your eye on a preferred system for your yard. However, if you’re on the fence with your purchase design, we understand. With so many great models to choose from, it might be a bit frustrating to settle on the right system for your yard.
If that’s the case, why not trust one of our top picks? We have an option to suit any yard or budget.
- The Mr. Beams Solar String Lights are our top choice for the best overall solar string light system in this review. You get 12 warm-white bulbs, providing a low-light effect on your porch, patio, or deck. The S12 bulbs are crack and scratch-resistant, and you get efficient charging with an eight to ten-hour service life.
- The DGO Solar String Lights are our choice for the best premium solar string lights in this review. These lights offer you three lighting modes, with cool-white, warm-white, and RGB colors. You get S12 bulbs and remote control included with your purchase.
- The JMEXSUSS Solar String Lights are our top pick for the best budget solar string lights in this review. These lights come with a silver string that disappears at night and 100 cool-white LEDs on a 32.8-foot wire. You get automatic on/off operation and eight lighting modes.