Growing a vegetable garden is a rewarding experience. Planting rows of luscious lettuce, tasty tomatoes, and aromatic herbs pay off at harvest time, giving you fresh fruits and vegetables for your family’s dinner table.
Growing fruits and vegetables yourself is a great idea if you have space. However, gardeners will experience the threat of pests and disease to their crops, and they need a solution to manage the risk of these threats.
Fortunately, you can control the types of pesticides and fungicides you use on your plants, avoiding toxic brands. However, you’ll still need an applicator to help you spray your plants down. Doing this task with a spray bottle is a chore that will take your ages, and wear out your hands.
A backpack sprayer helps your spray down your plants easily and efficiently. Carrying around a manual pump sprayer is a hassle, and may result in injuries, especially in older gardeners. A backpack sprayer lets you spray down the entire garden, without experiencing any operator fatigue.
The backpack sprayer mounts to your back, and all you need to do is walk around and spray your yard or vegetable garden. The backpack system takes the effort out of your work, allowing you to treat your garden in a matter of minutes.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Backpack Sprayers Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Backpack Sprayer Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Backpack Sprayers – Design and Components
- 6 Backpack Sprayer FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
We put together this list of our top choices for the best backpack sprayer, according to three categories. If you’re looking to get to the verdict right away, then any of these three models will make a fantastic choice for a garden backpack sprayer.
- The Best Pick: Field King Professional 190328
With a no-leak pump design, and user-friendly operation, this backpack sprayer offers top levels of user comfort during use, and an efficient spraying system, at an affordable price. When it comes to selecting the best all-round backpack sprayer, the Field King gets our vote for the top spot.
- The Premium Pick: Chapin 63985 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer
This model is the elite of all backpack sprayers. With superior functionality and user comfort, it’s the ideal model for any serious gardener. This model is also an excellent choice for professional landscapers as well. The Chapin 63985 might be pricy, but if you find yourself using a sprayer frequently throughout the growing season, then it’s the best you can buy.
- The Budget Pick: Chapin 61800 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer
For those cost-conscious gardeners working on a budget, but searching for the best value buy, the Chapin 61800 is all you need to spray down your garden. This model offers the gardener everything they need in a backpack sprayer, at an affordable price point.
Backpack Sprayers Reviews
From the dozens of backpack sprayers available from online retailers, we narrowed down our selection of the best models to the five on this list. You can rely on any of these sprayers for top performance in the garden.
Field King Professional 190328 – Best Overall Backpack SprayerThe Field King Professional 190328 wins the top spot in this review as the best overall backpack sprayer. This model offers the gardener plenty of features not included in the Chaplin models.
The no-leak pump design ensures constant pressure in the unit, allowing for fast and efficient spraying of your vegetable garden or crops. The no-leak functionality also protects your skin from any chemicals during operation.
The pump of this sprayer features operation through an internal agitator, preventing any settling in the holding tank.
We like the variety of offers with the nozzles for the Field King Professional. You get four inter-changeable nozzles included with your backpack sprayer. If that’s not enough variety, then this system is also compatible with TeeJet sprayer nozzles as well.
This backpack sprayer builds pressures of up to 150-psi, which is more than enough to cover any size garden with a decent spray pattern and droplet size.
The lock-in mechanism on the shutoff assembly reduces operator fatigue, allowing you to point and spray without building tension in your hands.
The service life of this unit is fantastic, with hardly any adverse customer reviews regarding the quality of the machine and its performance. Field King also keep spares for this model readily available.
However, while this unit has a lot going for it, it lacks the comfortability of the other models, and there’s no lumbar support on the harness.
- No-leak pump
- Internal Agitator
- Dual-use pump handle for left or right-handed operation
- Handles pressures up to 150-psi
- The system is compatible with TeeJet spray nozzles
- Spares are readily available and straightforward maintenance required
- Back-strap could have more padding
- No pressure gauges
- No lower-back support
Chapin 63985 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer – The Best Premium ModelThe Chapin 63985 wins the spot of the best premium backpack sprayer in this review. This model features a comfortable harness system, as well as outstanding performance from the sprayer. This unit is easy to operate and maintain and comfortable to wear.
The pump receives power from a 20-Volt Lithium-ion battery pack, allowing the user to maintain a steady flow rate through the applicator wand. As a result, you get a uniform spray pattern and a fixed droplet size.
With this motorized version, spraying your crops, flowers, and plants is as simple as taking a walk in the garden.
We love the deluxe feeling of the padded straps, as well as the additional lumbar support provided by the harness.
The shutoff assembly on the Chapin 63985 features an ergonomic, padded grip to provide extra comfort. The wide tank mouth on this model makes it the ideal choice for contractors and landscapers that need to fill the tank quickly between spraying sessions.
While this model is the best sprayer money can buy, it’s also the most expensive unit in this review. We feel that home gardeners don’t require this level of machine for spraying, and its more suited towards professional landscapers.
The motor also adds to the overall weight of the machine, increasing operator fatigue in extended spraying sessions. The electrical components also mean that you’ll need to service the machine with the dealer if anything goes wrong.
The electric motor also adds weight to the unit.
- Powerful motor with high-yield battery sprays through 50-gallons per charge
- Durable with a long service life
- The ideal choice for professional landscapers
- A triple liquid filtration system
- Back-straps feature lumbar support for extended use
- Large tank mouth for easy filling and maintenance
- Expensive, especially for home use
Chapin 61800 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer – The Best Budget Buy
If you’re a gardener working with a budget, and you’re looking for the best value in your backpack sprayer at an affordable price, then consider the Chapin 61800 4-Gallon.
This model is a manual version of the 63985, with a manual piston pump for priming the pressure chamber of the sprayer. However, you’ll notice that the price tag on this model is less than half that of the 63985, making it a more affordable option for home gardeners working with a budget for their new machine.
As a homeowner, you won’t get much benefit from the electronic components in the 63985, and you’re better off saving your money and going with this manual version instead.
This model also comes with the same padded shoulder straps and harness with lumbar support. It provides a comfortable user experience and will serve you well as you spray your yard or vegetable garden. This model doesn’t have the same large tank mouth as the 63985, being 2-inches smaller.
Those gardeners with large hands might find it challenging to fit them inside the tank when cleaning it out. Since cleaning the tank after each use is a critical part of maintaining your backpack sprayer, this design flaw may be a deal-breaker for some gardeners.
If you want to see if your hands can fit inside the tank mouth., go into the kitchen and select a jar with a similar opening. See if you can get your hand inside the jar without straining yourself. If you can’t fit your hands inside, then it may be a better idea to go for the 63895 instead.
Overall, we recommend the Chapin 61800 4-Gallon as a great budget model for any cost-conscious gardener. It’s the ideal balance of affordability and functionality, making it a solid choice for any home garden.
- Affordable and budget-friendly
- A good choice for home gardens
- A triple liquid filtration system
- Dual right or left-handed operation
- Built-in pressure gauges and ergonomic grip
- Provides the user with lumbar support for extended use
- No padded shoulder straps
- Small tank mouth may make for challenging maintenance issues
Solo 425 4-Gallon Backpack SprayerThe Solo 425 4-Gallon backpack sprayer is one of the best-selling models on Amazon. The reason for the unit’s popularity is that it offers the users the ideal blend of functionality and economy during use.
The simple design of the Solo 425 shows in its operation, with the design team striping this model back to the bare essentials to enhance the performance of the tool.
The piston pump on this model allows the gardener to prime the pressure chamber at pressures of up to 60-psi. That might seem minimal compared to other units that have operating pressures of up to 150-psi.
However, 60-psi is all you need for the home garden, and this model makes up for the lack of pressure with a range of nozzles to enhance the spraying performance of the unit. The Solo 425 is compatible for use with TeeJet spray nozzles, bringing more variety of spray patterns to this already useful gardening tool.
Similar to all the other backpack sprayers on this list, the Solo 425 features inter-changeable pump levers for positioning on your right or left-hand side during operation. You get a 48-inch spray hose for extended reach in tight spots in the garden, and four spray nozzles included with the sprayer.
The Solo 425 also features a lock-on/off switch on the shutoff valve, allowing for easy use of the sprayer, and reduced operator fatigue in your hands.
The only gripe we have with this backpack sprayer is the strapping and harness system. The straps are not very comfortable, and you’ll start feeling uncomfortable after 10-minutes of use. Solo does sell a luxury strap separately, but we think they should include it in this package.
- Economical sprayer
- Builds pressures of up to 90-psi
- Compatible with all TeeJet spray nozzles
- Shutoff mechanism has lock-on and lock-off feature
- Uncomfortable back-straps
- Lacks lumbar support
- No pressure gauges included
Chapin 61804 Backpack-Sprayer
If you’re a gardener looking for general use backpack sprayer that you only intend on pulling out of the toolshed from time to time, then consider the Chapin 61804.
This model offers the gardener a lightweight sprayer that’s suitable for occasional use. The chances are, if you’re a home horticulturist, you’re not spraying crops down all the time.
If that’s the case, then why invest in a professional backpack sprayer when there’s a cheaper alternative that suits your needs?
The 61804 features a dual filter system, stopping debris from entering the supply line. The first filter is at the tank mouth, and the second filter is in the shutoff assembly.
The sprayer also features design and manufacture with chemical-resistant, lightweight plastic materials. The lightweight nature of this sprayer makes it easy to handle and operate.
As with the other models in this review, the Chapin comes with interchangeable handles allowing you to spray from your left or right-hand side. You also get a continuous spray mechanism as well that helps to reduce operator fatigue.
This machine is the best choice for hobbyist horticulturists, and it comes with a limited selection of spray nozzles. We also find that the back straps on this unit start to feel uncomfortable after around 10-minutes of use.
- Economical spray coverage
- Pump permits dual right or left-handed use
- Features a continuous spraying mode
- Somewhat limited user functionality
- Uncomfortable padding and back straps
- Poor design of the nozzle and wand system
Other Best Selling Options
- Translucent, 4-gallon, poly tank
- 4-inch wide mouth opening to clean, fill and replace filters easily
- Nitrile seals compatible with common fertilizers, weed killers and pesticides
- 3-stage filtration system
- Made in the USA with global materials
- Internal No Leak Pump design is safer to use chemicals will not drip down your back. Internal piston pump delivers up to 150 PSI
- Durable, 21 inch poly wand with the highest quality Viton seals can be used with Wet table powders and liquids for all applications does the work of both a piston and diaphragm backpack
- Premium, lockable shut off with brass components and an in-line filter.
- Easy access pump allows changing of seals in just minutes with no tools
- 4 nozzles included: brass adjustable, 2 flat fans, and foaming nozzle. Also accepts Tee Jet nozzles.
- Easily spray liquid disinfectants, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides with Solo's high-performance piston pump for tree, shrub and plant protection
- Solo’s 425 backpack sprayer includes a 20-inch unbreakable wand that securely connects to a 48-inch nylon-reinforced high-pressure hose for an extended reach
- Four easily changeable commercial-grade spraying nozzles-Plastic Adjustable, Fan Spray, Hollow Cone, Jet Stream nozzle and is TeeJet compatible
- Designed with a commercial shut-off valve that securely locks in either the on or off position to minimize user fatigue, the pump handle is interchangeable for left or right-hand operation
- Solo's rugged metal frame with an extra-large tank opening makes it easy to fill and clean quickly
- HIGH EFFICIENCY: This sprayer saves labor time and attains 3 to 4times more efficiency than a manual sprayer. this sprayer can be operated continuously for up to 5 hours and spray 400liter -500liter of liquid . the surprise is that it only consumes 0.3 kwh of electricity and can attain excellent atomization result.
- APPEARANCE: Smooth and steamline appearance .the sprayer is ergonomically designed to conform to the human back .making it easy to carry.new design handle, more comfortable when using.Design of large diameter water
- CONFIGURATION: The sprayer comes with a diaphragm pump which is compact in size. light-weight. creats high pressure and has an extenden service life. it features a pressure protection switch(micro switch) to protect the battery. Equipped with a 12V/8Ah lithium batter, this sprayer eliminates the need to pump. the supplied charging socket can be used as a 12 volt power supply in addition to charging unit
- FEATURES: The use of weather-resistant engineering plastics and special rubber carefully built water, electrical separation, good sealing performance, strong self-absorption, stable performance, mute, low energy consumption, long service life and so on.
- EFFECTIVE FILTRATION MESH: Built-in filtration mesh isolates large unwanted particles of power and protects internal components of this pump sprayer from any damage
- Compatible with common fertilizers, weed killers and pesticides
- 4-Gallon translucent tank with 4-inch wide mouth opening for easy filling and cleaning
- 3-Stage Filtration system with in-tank removable/cleanable filter
- Cushion grip poly shut-off with three nozzles for a variety of applications
- Padded shoulder straps to accommodate a full backpack for hours
Backpack Sprayer Buyer’s Guide
If you find yourself scratching your head, trying to decide on the best model to suit your needs, this section is for you. Our buyer’s guide to the best backpack sprayer will give you the information you need to make an informed purchase decision.
Picking the Right Backpack Sprayer to Meet Your Gardening Needs
Each of the backpack sprayers in this review suits different environmental applications in the garden and field. There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution, and what works well for the home gardener will not be the best choice for a landscaper and vice versa.
When selecting your ideal backpack sprayer, the gardener needs to take into account numerous factors when making their final decision on the model that’s right for them.
Some of the critical factors influencing your decision are the user comfort, economy, and user-friendly operation. We take all of these factors into account when choosing the top models for this review, but it’s up to you to decide which model benefits your unique situation. Hopefully, we can give you more insight.
Why Does a Gardener Need a Backpack Sprayer?
For those gardeners with no previous ownership history of a backpack sprayer, you might find yourself wondering how you can benefit from buying one of these systems.
Sprayers are an indispensable part of your garden tools. All plants, vegetables, trees, and flowers are susceptible to outbreaks of disease, such as powdery mildew and pest infestations such as spider mites or cutworms.
A sprayer helps the gardener efficiently and economically spray down the plants with herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides designed to control the specific problem they are experiencing in the garden.
Sprayers are also useful for spraying down your garden with fertilizers, or spot-spraying weeds in the driveway. It’s a versatile tool that every homeowner, gardener, farmer, and landscaper should have in their tool shed.
Backpack Sprayers – Design and Components
A backpack sprayer is a tool with a hands-free design for use in the garden or a commercial or professional setting. Understanding the components of the backpack sprayer helps the user decide on the model that’s right for their unique situation.
The backpack sprayer consists of 5 essential components.
All of the backpack sprayers in this review are lightweight, but it weighs considerably more when carrying a full tank. Landscapers and contractors can benefit from a large holding tank, because they have to cover larger areas, such as farms or estate plots.
However, the average backyard vegetable garden or horticulturalists may find that they don’t need a unit with such a large holding tank.
The tank itself features design and construction from polyethylene plastic, a robust material that withstands all types of chemicals. The plastic material is UV-resistant, and after closing the tank, you can expect to smell no fumes.
Most sprayers have a holding capacity of between 2 and 4-gallons, which is ideal for residential use.
Motorized or Manual Pump
Some models of backpack sprayers come with a battery-powered pump for user-friendly operation. The pump motor draws the liquid from the holding tank, transferring it to the pressurizing chamber of the unit.
The seals and valves keep the liquid in this area until the user presses the wand applicator. The wand then sprays the liquid over the area at the specified dosage quantity.
Some models come with a pump lever on the wand for manual operation.
The applicator wand allows the gardener to efficiently spray the plants, reducing overspray while improving the economy of their spraying task.
The wand allows the gardener to keep the chemicals at a safe distance while improving the accuracy while spraying. An applicator wand also helps the gardener reach into tight spaces as well.
The nozzle is an essential component of the backpack sprayer. The nozzle controls the rate of dispersal through the wand. Most models come with an adjustable tip to change the size and diameter of the spray pattern.
Some models are also compatible with professional spray tip accessories for improved spraying control and distribution. By changing or re-positioning the spray nozzle, the user can switch between spray function on the wand that produces a fan, cone, direct, or wide stream from the nozzle tip.
The nozzle also controls the flow-rate of the machine, allowing the sprayer to disperse anywhere from 0.3 to 0.5 gallons every minute. In most cases, gardeners can get away with the standard spray nozzle included with the model they purchase.
However, professional landscapers and farmers might want to consider purchasing a few additional high-performance nozzles for their spraying duties.
Harness, Straps, and Padding
The harness, straps, and padding make a big difference in user comfort if you’re spraying for extended periods.
Landscapers will need to consider a unit that offers good padding and additional lumbar support for the user. These features help to reduce operator fatigue, allowing you to cover more ground in less time.
The harness should feel comfortable and distribute the weight of the machine evenly when the tank is full. The sprayer also needs to provide the same levels of support as the tank empties and starts to weigh less.
Proper padding is essential for extended use, but it’s not necessary for home gardeners that only want to spray for a few minutes.
Backpack Sprayer FAQs
In this section, we’ll look at some of the frequently asked questions from our readers regarding backpack sprayers.
Is it worth it to spend money on a model with a motorized pump?
A motorized pump is only necessary if you have large areas to spray. Landscapers will benefit from this feature, as will seniors who are dealing with grip problems. However, your average home gardener can get away with using a manual backpack sprayer.
What is the working pressure of a backpack sprayer, and is it safe to wear?
For home gardeners, an operating pressure of between 40 and 60-psi is more than sufficient for operation. Professional landscapers may want a unit that provides working pressures of up to 100-psi or more. The higher the psi rating, the broader the coverage of the sprayer.
It’s completely safe to wear your backpack sprayer during use. Even if the unit were to fail, the pressure would escape the system without presenting a workplace hazard that could cause an accident or injury.
When receiving your sprayer, follow the manufacturer guidelines for calibrating the wand and pump before you attempt your first spraying session.
Why do garden backpack sprayers use piston pumps and not diaphragm pumps?
With a backpack sprayer, the holding tank is never under any pressure, which is why it’s safe to wear and use without the threat of the tank exploding. With this system, the pump creates pressure on-demand in a separate chamber.
For the pump to generate the pressure, it relies on a piston or a diaphragm. A piston pushes the air into the pressurizing chamber in the same manner as a bicycle pump forces air into tires. However, a diaphragm pump pushes the air into the pressurizing chamber in a similar way to a blacksmith’s bellows.
As the piston moves in the cylinder, it starts to produce friction. If the spraying liquid contains any particulates, the friction will lead to the rapid wear and tear of the system. Diaphragm pumps don’t feature any moving components. Therefore, they don’t produce any friction.
This lack of friction reduces the wear and tear on the machine, extending its service life.
Where can I purchase a backpack sprayer?
Backpack sprayers are readily available from online retailers like Amazon. Why go to the hassle of visiting a garden supply store when you can buy online? Online retailers typically have lower pricing than brick-and-mortar retailers that need to cover overhead costs.
With online retailers, you get better selection, better prices, and shipping directly to your doorstep. Choose your preferred model, and order your backpack sprayer online right now from the comfort of your armchair.
A backpack sprayer is a handy tool to have in the garden shed. For those gardeners with larger properties or professional landscapers, a backpack sprayer is a vital part of their equipment.
- For those more extensive gardens and professional use, we recommend you go with our premium choice in this review, the Chapin 63985 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer. This sprayer offers the best user comfort during extended operation, it’s the easiest to fill, and you won’t have a day’s problems with the motor or spraying unit.
- If you’re looking for the best all-round performer for the home garden, then the Field King Professional 190328 is your best option. For those gardeners concerned about costs, the Chapin 61900 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer offers you the best value for your money.
- Make your decision on the best backpack sprayer according to your gardening needs. There’s no need for a home gardener to use professional equipment like the Chapin 63985 4-Gallon Backpack Sprayer, its overkill, and a waste of your money. Select a backpack sprayer that meets your needs, and serves your budget.