It’s a sunny summer, and the heat is on. You’re spending more tie entertaining outdoors, and the family is enjoying the warm weather. It rained last night, and you forgot to bring in the deckchair cushions before the shower started.
As you walk out onto the deck with your cup of coffee in hand, you notice all the cushions look soaked through. The wind got to your BBQ stuff, and the firefighters and charcoal lay blown all over the deck. Sound like a familiar story? Having a deck is awesome, especially if it’s poolside. However, where are you going to store all the stuff you use outdoors on your deck?
A deck box gives you the option for compact storage on your deck. Use it to pack away those cushions and BBQ equipment, and you’ll never have to worry about walking out onto the deck to find wet cushions and wind-strewn charcoal everywhere ever again.
Deck boxes come in various models from dozens of manufacturing brands. We scoured the internet looking for the best deck box for your yard.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Deck Box Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Deck Box Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What Is a Deck Box, and why do I Need One?
- 6 What Do I Look for in the Best Deck Box?
- 7 Deck Box FAQs
- 8 Deck Boxes – The Verdict
We looked through dozens of listings when searching for the best deck box. We settled on the top choices in this list. From our listings, we selected these three models as the best deck boxes in their respective categories.
Choose the deck box that suits your budget and your lifestyle. We have options for the best overall, premium, and budget deck boxes to suit your outdoor storage requirements.
- The Best Pick: Rubbermaid Medium Deck Box
Homeowners looking for the best overall deck box will get the best value from this Rubbermaid model. Rubbermaid is a leading brand in deck storage options, with plenty of products to suit any size deck or lifestyle requirements. This model from Rubbermaid suits mid-sized to larger decks, offering you plenty of storage space. assembly.
- The Premium Pick: Suncast Java Deck Box
The Suncast Java deck box is an excellent choice for homeowners demanding a stylish design from their deck box. The Suncast fits in with traditional and modern décor, with a dark, faux-wicker finish that looks realistic. You get a 60-gallon storage capacity in this model, making it suitable for mid-sized to larger decks and patios.
- The Budget Pick: Rubbermaid Mini
Homeowners on a budget will get the best value from this Rubbermaid model. The Rubbermaid Mini is a great choice for smaller decks and verandahs. Set it up on your porch as a replacement for your mailbox. This model included the same double-walled design as the Rubbermaid medium box, and you get a snap-together design.
Deck Box Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the best deck boxes let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll also look at other models that qualify for inclusion in this list.
Rubbermaid Medium Deck Box
Are you looking for the best deck box available? The Rubbermaid medium plastic deck box with seating wins our top choice for the best overall model in this review. This deck box is extremely versatile, providing you with a permanent or portable storage solution. Keep it on the deck, or take it with you on vacation for extra storage when you head to the beach.
The Rubbermaid medium storage box with seat features a strong, rugged, durable construction with weather-resistant plastic. You get a waterproof deck box with a vented interior to prevent stale air from causing mold growth. The easy access flip-top lid comes with supports holding it open, allowing you hands-free access to the box. The box acts as a temporary seat suitable for up to two people with the lid closed, supporting weights up to 400-lbs.
The durable double-walled design of the box provides plenty of protection for the contents, and it won’t crack when temperatures get low in the winter. You get a massive 75-gallon storage capacity., making it the ideal choice for medium-sized decks, giving you enough space to store cushions, tools, barbeque accessories, and more.
The Rubbermaid deck storage box has a stylish design, and it works with all types of décor. You get two color options, allowing you to choose between sandstone and black for your deck dox. Rubbermaid has the same box available in various sizes, but we feel the medium-size option is the best overall choice.
- Double-wall construction for strength
- 75-gallon storage capacity
- Suitable for use as a bench for two adults
- Easy-access lid
- Easy assembly with general tools
- Ideal for medium-sized decks
- Available in two colors
- Weather resistant
- Crack-resistant in cold temperatures
Suncast Java Deck Box
Homeowners looking for a classy design in their deck box can choose the Suncast Java outdoor model. This deck box features an attractive faux-wicker design that really pops, adding class and style to your patio design. It’s the ideal permanent deck box, giving you a storage unit that isn’t an eyesore on your deck.
The Suncast Java features a durable and sturdy design, with construction from polyresin materials. This deck box is waterproof and weather-resistant, with a vented design allowing airflow through the box when the lid is closed. The lid features easy-open access and locking in the open position for hands-free access to the contents.
The side handles on the box make it easy to move around the deck or patio, with versatile storage for cushions, BBQ tools, or anything you keep on your deck. The lid is lockable, but the manufacturer doesn’t include a lock or cover with this model.
You get a 60-gallon capacity with the Suncast Java and a taller, square-design to the deck box. This model measures 27″ x 27.5″ x 26″, making it ideal for use on medium-sized decks. You get an easy assembly, with snap-together parts and low maintenance. Despite the complex faux wicker design, the box is easy to clean, and the polyresin materials provide fade resistance to the sun’s UV rays.
- Classy and stylish faux wicker design
- 60-gallon storage capacity
- Versatile use
- Easy access-lid
- Weather resistant
- Easy to clean
- Solid design with polyresin construction
Rubbermaid Mini Deck Box
If you have a small deck or patio, this Rubbermaid model is the ideal choice for your storage needs. This deck box comes with a compact design, making it suitable for storing your essentials. It’s also ideal for use as a letterbox on your front porch, providing a maintenance-free option for receiving your parcels and mail.
This model comes with an affordable price tag, and we feel it’s excellent value for money for homeowners looking for a budget deck box. The compact, lightweight design also makes it ideal for taking with you on vacation. This deck box features the same advanced polypropylene materials and double-walled design as all the other Rubbermaid deck boxes.
This unit won’t crack under cold temperatures, and it offers a ventilated interior to prevent mold growth. The box snaps together for easy assembly in minutes and easy cleaning. You get 2.6-cubic feet of storage space, and dimensions of 1’4″w x 1’2″d x 1’9″h. This deck box comes made in the USA, with quality design and materials you can trust.
This box’s rugged design is dent and scratch-resistant, making it a great choice for use around a campsite or other outdoor applications. There’s no locking function on the box and no cover included, but we feel it’s excellent value for money and the winner of the best budget model in this review.
- Suitable for small decks and patios
- Compact storage with 2.6 cubic feet of space
- Snaps together with tool-less assembly
- Ideal for porch decks as a delivery box
- Waterproof and weatherproof
- Made in the USA
Rubbermaid Deck Shed
Homeowners looking for a deck box offering the biggest storage space will love the Rubbermaid plastic outdoor storage shed. If you have a large deck, this box provides 32-cubic feet of storage space for all your outdoor deck items. This model comes with dimensions measuring 47″ H x 60″ W x 32″ D, with a compact footprint for a model this size.
You get an option for installing a shelf in the box, but there’s no shelf included. This deck box comes with plenty of space and a durable exterior. You get the same double-walled design found on the other Rubbermaid models and ventilation to prevent mold growth.
The box lid exterior features a lock hasp, but you’ll have to purchase a padlock separately. The exterior features sandstone and grey colors for a neutral look that matches any deck décor. You get an anti-scratchy and dent resistant finish, with double swinging doors for easy access.
This model features a polyresin construction for ultra-durability and UV resistance against the sun’s harsh rays. You get a waterproof and weatherproof design, with a heavy-duty floormat included with your purchase. Despite its size, the box has a relatively small footprint, allowing compact storage anywhere on the deck.
This deck box is easy to assemble with general household tools, and there are seven pieces in total included with your kit.
- Ideal for large decks
- Large design with 47”H x 60”W x 32”D dimensions
- Double swinging doors
- Large 32-cubic feet storage space
- Customizable shelving options
- Weather resistant
- Double-wall construction for strength
SereneLife Deck Box
Travelers and holiday-makers looking for the best deck box will love this model from SereneLife. This deck box features a portable design with side handles for easy carrying. Use it on the deck, or take it with you on vacation. The deck box has a streamlined design, with rounded edges and blue and white colors.
This model features a locking lid with a four-digit combination. Keep your belongings safe whether you’re at home or the beach. With this deck box, you get a durable and leak-free construction, with double walls and a dent-free structure. The gas-powered lid stays open, allowing you hands-free access to the storage compartment.
The ventilated interior ensures there’s no mold growth inside the box, and you get a 21-gallon capacity that’s suitable for small to medium-sized decks. This model is easy to carry, and it’s great to take with you on vacation.
This model comes with an easy setup and multifunctional use for the home or deck. It fits together using a snap-together design, with instructions included with your purchase. This model is impact-resistant, with durable ABS plastic used in its construction. Slip this deck box into the trunk of your car, and take it with you to cookouts, tailgating events, and on vacations.
- Rugged and durable construction with streamlined design
- 21-gallon storage capacity
- Portable with easy setup and multifunctional design
- Easy access lid and side carry handles
- 4-digit locking mechanism
- Anti-scratch and anti-stain exterior housing
- Weather resistant and waterproof
Keter Circa Deck Box
The Keter Circa deck box comes with a unique circular design. It’s the ideal choice for larger decks, especially those with a circular design. This model features design and construction with durable, UV-resistant polyresin materials. The final design of the box features a faux-wood look for an attractive finish.
You get excellent weather resistance and a waterproof interior. The dark wood design looks fantastic, and the entire box comes as 10-pieces, and it snaps together for easy assemble. The lid of the deck box acts as a seat, supporting loads up to 308lbs. We like the gas-powered hinged lid allowing for easy hands-free access to the storage compartment.
This model comes with a vented design to prevent mold growth inside the box, and there’s no maintenance required with this box. All you need to do to clean it is wipe it down with a damp cloth. The sides of the box feature carry-handles, allowing you to move it around the patio or deck with ease.
This model comes with a 37-gallon capacity, making it a good choice for smaller decks and patios. The circa provides a unique and rustic look to your patio while decluttering your living space. The circa comes with an affordable price tag, and it’s a top choice in this review.
- Stylish round design with faux wood look
- Durable polypropylene materials
- Versatile storage option
- 37-gallon storage
- Weather resistant
- Suitable for extra seating
- Snaps together for easy assembly
Keter City Deck Box
Keter makes some of the best deck boxes available. If you don’t like the circular design in the previous model, check out this square option instead. This Keter deck box features design and construction with the same premium polyresin materials used in all Keter deck boxes.
You get a dent and scratch-free surface that’s resistant to weather and waterproof. This box also features a faux-wood design, making it blend into the décor on your patio. You get a gas-powered hinge for hands-free access to the storage compartment, as well as side handles to help you move it around the deck.
This Keter model comes with a vented design, allowing airflow through the box to prevent mold growth. You get a 30-gallon capacity, making this model the ideal choice for use on small to medium-sized decks. Use it to store pillows or other outdoor items.
The lid also features a padlock hasp with padlock sold separately for secure storage of your outdoor gear. This model also acts as extra seating, supporting up to 220lbs. This Keter deck box snaps together for easy assembly without the need for any tools in the setup.
With this Keter model, you get a convenient storage space for your deck at an affordable price. The design and look of this model make it a great choice to compliment any outdoor décor theme.
- Natural faux wood look
- Side handles for easy carry
- Durable and weatherproof resin construction
- Ventilated interior
- Easy access lid
- 30-gallon storage
- Easy assembly
Suncast Large Deck Box
Homeowners looking for the largest storage capacity for their deck should consider this Suncast Java model. This deck box is the larger version of the Java model, winning our best premium deck box in this review. This version is longer, featuring a huge 72-gallon storage capacity for your chair cushions, BBQ items, and any other outdoor equipment you need to store out of the way.
This model includes the traditional Suncast faux-wicker look, with design and construction from premium polyresin materials. You get a deck box that’s waterproof and weather-resistant, with a scratchproof finish.
The sides of the box feature carry-handles, making it easy to move the box around your deck. You also get a gas-assisted lid lift for easy opening and hands-free access to the storage compartment. This model comes with a ventilated design, allowing airflow inside the unit to prevent mold growth.
This model snaps together, but you’ll need some basic household tools to finish the setup. There’s minimal maintenance required on this box, and all it needs is a wipe with a damp cloth to keep it clean. The deck box’s dimensions work out to 23.5″ x 47.5″ x 21.5″, giving you plenty of storage space with a compact footprint.
- Weatherproof and weather-resistant
- Durable resin construction
- Functional design with flip top lid
- Faux wicker look
- 72-gallon storage capacity
- Easy assembly
Other Best Selling Options
- LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: Declutter your outdoor space now with our 100 gallon deck box. With this much space, your summer day necessities, like pool toys, grill utensils, and outdoor fun and games, will have a place of its own at the end of the party.
- DURABLE AND WEATHERPROOF: Our deck boxes are created with high quality resin material sure to keep your favorite items dry and protect the box from any sun damage. Not only that - with UV protection up to 1000 SGS, your deck box will never bend, fade, or break.
- ERGONOMIC AND SAFE FOR THE FAMILY: We’ve designed our deck storage box with a hydraulic rod. This ensures it’s safe to open and close and you never get surprised by a smashed finger.
- ADDED SECURITY: Each deck box can be locked for added security. Plus, we give you an extra zinc alloy padlock for free! User guide can be downloaded in "Product guides and documents" from the listing page. Or you can contact our customer service directly.
- 2-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: It’s a storage box first, but if you’re having a few more folks over, our deck box doubles as a stylish seat or patio table too.
- STORAGE DECK BOX: 73-gallon resin storage deck box that is perfectly designed to store outdoor accessories, cushions, tools, pool toys, and more
- DOUBLE-WALL DESIGN: Durable, double-wall resin construction, molded lid hinges, and reliable lid retainer straps ensure ultimate security
- UNIQUE APPEARANCE: Designed with a brown wood-like pattern that is easy to clean and resists the server outdoor elements for long-lasting use
- SLIDE AND SNAP ASSEMBLY: Slide and snap design makes this deck box easy to assemble; Includes all necessary hardware that you need to assemble
- SPECIFICATIONS: Measures 22 inches deep, 43.5 inches wide, and 21.8 inches tall; Material: Resin; Color: Java; Weight: 43.7 pounds; Manufacturer warranty: 1-year warranty
- 230-gallon outdoor storage box with extra-large interior
- Piston opening mechanism with lockable lid
Deck Box Buyer’s Guide
After looking through the best deck box models, you probably have a few in mind. So, why do you need a deck box anyway? What is a deck box, and what should you look for in a prospective model?
This section unpacks everything you need to know about this piece of outdoor furniture for your deck.
What Is a Deck Box, and why do I Need One?
A deck box is a multi-purpose storage unit. If you find you leave your BBQ tools and other outdoor items lying around the deck, pack them away in a deck box and remove the clutter from your yard. A deck box comes in handy as additional seating when guests come over, and it acts as a tabletop as well.
A deck box is a great way to pack everything away when it rains, keeping the rain from soaking your cushions or your charcoal.
What Do I Look for in the Best Deck Box?
When you’re looking at a prospective deck box, make sure it has the following features included in the design.
Choose the right deck box to suit the size of your yard. A small deck box offers up to 50-gallons of storage space, and it’s ideal for storing towels, garden equipment, or outdoor cushions for your chairs.
A medium-size deck box has a capacity of up to 60-gallons, giving you more storage space, and the largest models come with up to 100-gallons of storage space.
Choose the model that suits your deck, and measure the prospective model’s dimensions to see if it fits on your deck.
Design and Styling
Deck boxes are available in various configurations.
- Standard Deck Box – These models stand horizontally, with flip-up lids.
- Deck Box Benches – These models come with a seating bench integrated into the deck box’s lid. Some standard deck boxes also accommodate additional seating with the lid closed.
- Small Space Deck Box – These models are ideal for small decks, verandahs, and porches. They also substitute for mailboxes.
- Vertical Deck Box – These models come with swinging doors and cabinet-style storage. Typically, they feature larger capacity models.
- Coffee Table Deck Boxes – These deck boxes allow you to place objects on the flat top.
- Top-loading or Cabinet-style – Which design suits your deck? Do you need more storage spacer, or will a compact deck box fit your yard? The choice is up to you.
The weight of your deck box determines if you can use it as a portable model or if it serves as a permanent fixture on your deck.
Lighter models are easy to move around and position anywhere you need them. However, heavier models ensure thieves won’t carry out of your yard, or the wind doesn’t blow it around.
Look for models featuring design and construction using durable materials. Polyresin is our top choice. It’s easy for manufacturers to mold into any shape or style, and it’s a durable, weather-resistant material.
The Rubbermaid range of deck boxes features a double-walled design for ultimate protection of the contents in your deck box. This double-walled design provides superior strength to your box, giving it dent resistance against impacts.
Look for deck boxes offering a ventilated design. If air remains stagnant inside the box, it causes mold growth. Ventilated boxes create airflow, preventing this problem.
Waterproofing is essential for your deck box. You need a water-tight box that keeps all your deck essentials dry.
Most of the leading brands in this review offer you an easy setup. Choose a deck box with a snap-in panel design for easy assembly. Most models will fit together with a tool-less assembly, while others might require the use of general household tools to complete the setup.
A hinge-assisted lid gives you hands-free access to the deck box without worrying about the lid falling on your head.
Suspension Nets, Shelves, and Storage Compartments
Models with suspension nets or shelves give your additional storage levels in the deck box.
Keep the contents of your deck box secure and lock them away using a padlock on the locking hasp. Some deck boxes come with combination locks as a built-in security solution.
Deck Box FAQs
How do I keep bugs out of my deck box?
If you want to keep the pesky bugs out of your deck box, we recommend adding diatomaceous earth to the floor of the interior. Diatomaceous earth is readily available from your local nursery, and it’s a food-grade material used to keep bugs out of your deck box. Adding a few drops of peppermint essential oils to the inside of the box also keeps pests away.
Should I build a deck box myself?
If you have carpentry skills, give building a box a shot at home. A deck box is easy to make if you have the right tools and the know-how. However, if you have no idea how to work with wood, we recommend purchasing a pre-made kit. Most pre-made kits come with easy snap-together assembly for a tool-free setup.
Do I need a cover for my deck box?
Not all deck boxes require a cover. Model made from fade-resistant polyresin materials has plenty of UV resistance against the sun’s harmful rays. All the boxes in this review provide you with excellent waterproofing and weather resistance against the elements.
Where can I purchase the best deck box?
We recommend purchasing your deck box from Amazon, the world’s leading online retailer. Amazon has the best range of deck boxes at the best prices, and you’ll find the deal you’re looking for with this retailer. Amazons also offer you buyer protection on your order and free shipping if you’re a Prime member.
Deck Boxes – The Verdict
Buying a deck box to store everything away is a convenient way to declutter your yard. After reading through the reviews for the best deck box, you probably have your eye on the right model to suit your needs.
However, we understand what it’s like to choose a good product, and we want to help you make an informed purchase decision. If you’re still on the fence deciding on the right deck box for your yard, why not go with one of our top picks? We have a model to suit any size deck or budget.
- The Rubbermaid Medium Deck Box wins our award for the best overall deck box in this review. This model comes with double-walled construction, dent and scratch resistance, and weatherproof protection for your deck essentials. This Rubbermaid model acts as extra seating for your deck, and it comes with a 75-gallon capacity for the largest storage requirements.
- The Suncast Java Deck Box is our choice for the best premium model in this review. We love the faux-wicker look and the dark color tones. This model is a great choice for modern or traditional décor, with stunning good looks. The Suncast Java features a 60-gallon storage capacity, with vented walls for airflow and a locking hasp. Add some class to your deck storage with the Suncast Java.
- The Rubbermaid Mini is our top choice for the best budget deck box in this review. You get the same double-walled design as the other Rubbermaid models, with a snap-together setup and waterproof protection for the contents of the box. This model is affordable and the ideal choice for smaller decks, verandahs, and porches.