It’s the first week of the summer, and your garden is thriving. Your flowers and shrubs are in full bloom, and the pollinators are buzzing around your yard in excitement.
So why does your grass look so bad this year? The heavy spring rains waterlogged your soil, compacting the roots while washing all the nutrients out of the soil. As a result, your lawn looks in terrible shape.
The brown patches and thinning areas of your lawn make it the eyesore of your yard, and you need to do something about it to bring your yard back into balance. Fortunately, there’s a range of lawn care products that can revive your grass and bring it back to health.
Liquid lawn fertilizers are effective at re-greening your grass. These products are available from many manufacturers, with different formulations to suit different grass types and nutrient deficiencies.
This post looks at the best liquid lawn fertilizer products., We’ll make suggestions on our top products and give you a buyer’s guide to help you select the right fertilizer for your lawn.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Reviews
- 2.1 Scotts Liquid Turf Builder
- 2.2 Eco Garden Air Lawn Fertilizer
- 2.3 Revive Ready-to-Spray Soil Builder
- 2.4 Southern Ag Chelated Liquid Iron
- 2.5 GS Plant Foods SoftSoil Liquid Soil Aerator & Lawn Treatment
- 2.6 LawnStar Chelated Liquid Iron
- 2.7 Bonide Liquid Iron Concentrate
- 2.8 Medina 12-4-8 Ready-to-Spray HastaGro Lawn
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Buyers Guide
- 5 Liquid Fertilizer Pros
- 6 Liquid Fertilizer Cons
- 7 Liquid Lawn Fertilizer FAQs
- 8 Liquid Lawn Fertilizer – The Verdict
We reviewed dozens of listings, trying to find the best liquid lawn fertilizers for this review. With so many good products out there, it’s challenging settling on our top picks.
We decided on these three products for the best-in-class in this review. We have something to suit your lawn care needs and your budget. Choose the product that’s right for your wallet and your grass.
Best Pick: Scotts Liquid Turf Builder
- Fertilizes in 24 hours while controlling for weeds
- Kills dandelions, clover and other major lawn weeds
- Other weeds include buckhorn, chickweed, ground ivy, henbit, knotweed, lambsquarters, oxalis, pigweed, plantain, poison ivy, ragweed, and spurge
- Easy to use, simply attach hose and spray. For grass lawns only. Do not spray St.Augustine Grass, Buffalo Grass, dichondra, lipid or desirable clovers. Do not use this product on flower or vegetable beds or around shrubs, trees or ornamental plantings
- Spray when weeds are actively growing
Scotts is a premier brand in lawncare., This product wins our best overall liquid lawn fertilizer in this review. You get a dual-action formula that feeds and greens your lawn while eradicating weeds. This product is an excellent choice for pre-emergent and fertilizer, and it also kills established weeds. You get a convenient spray bottle applicator for fast feeding of your lawn and overnight results. You get 6,000-sq ft of coverage with this Scotts product.
Premium Pick: Eco Garden Air Lawn Fertilizer
- 🌱 GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO MANUAL LAWN AERATION - Easy to use method to replace core and mechanical aeration
- 🌱 INCREASES DRAINAGE - treats standing water and eliminates flooding.
- 🌱 PENETRATES DEEPER THAN MANUAL AERATOR - our liquid aerator reaches deeper than manual approaches
- 🌱 CONDITIONER - Improves overall lawn and grass health by increasing root growth and fertilizer efficiency
- 🌱 WORKS FAST & EASY TO USE - Apply during Sprint, Summer, and Fall. One bottle will cover 32,000 sq.ft.
Is your lawn looking compacted? When soil compacts, it kills your grass due to the lack of airflow around the roots. Typically, you would have to spend an hour aerating your lawn to bring it back to life. However, with this liquid fertilizer, you get a softening agent that improves the soil’s aeration. The result is a recovery in your grass and a thick, Lucious lawn. This gallon container provides 32,000-sq ft of coverage.
Budget Pick: Revive Ready-to-Spray Soil Builder
- A handy hose-end spray nozzle perfect spot treating smaller areas and can be refilled with the Gallon concentrate
- Revive will solve many summertime brown spot problems, breaking up and loosening hard soils and increasing water penetration
- Composed of Lignosulfates which is an excellent slow release carbon source for the soil microbes and increases soil cation exchange capacity
- Made in United States
Revive is another top-quality lawncare brand. This product is an excellent choice for the overnight greening of your grass. You get a non-toxic formula that improves nutrient uptake in your grass. The Revive liquid lawn fertilizer also comes in a spray bottle applicator for easy spraying onto your lawn. This product is made in the USA and covers up to 4,000-sq-ft.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Reviews
After reviewing the top three picks, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other liquid lawn fertilizers we feel are a good choice for greening your grass.
Scotts Liquid Turf Builder
If you’re an avid gardener, you know the Scotts brand. Scotts makes some of the best lawn fertilizers and amendments available. They have a solid industry reputation, and their products don’t contain any ingredients harmful to the environment.
This Scotts Turf Builder with Weed Control is the winner of the best overall liquid lawn fertilizer in this review. This product will get to work at greening your lawn right away. The nitrogen-rich formula penetrates deep into the roots of your grass, feeding your lawn with the critical nutrients it needs to survive and thrive. This formula not only brings your grass back to life but also kills off any weeds choking the life out of your grass.
This Scotts Turf Builder with Weed Control kills dandelion and clover without damaging your lawn. It’s effective at eliminating a wide variety of broadleaf weed species, including lambs quarters, knotweed, and ground ivy.
This product comes in a spray bottle, featuring easy attachment to your hose. Connect the spray bottle to your garden hose, and turn on the water to prime the spray bottle.
When you depress the trigger, the spray bottle releases a steady flow of fertilizer mixed at the perfect ratio. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about burning your grass because you mixed the fertilizer too strong.
One bottle of Scotts Turf Builder with Weed control provides your lawn with up to 6,000 sq. ft. of coverage. Apply this turf builder after the first rain of the season, and watch your lawn come to life with a deep-green color that’s the envy of your neighbors.
- A leading brand is known for top-quality gardening fertilizers.
- Effective greening of your lawn.
- Removes most broadleaf weed species.
- Non-toxic ingredients.
- Convenient spray bottle applicator.
- Covers 6,000-sq ft.
Eco Garden Air Lawn Fertilizer
If you’re looking for the best-quality liquid lawn fertilizer available, we recommend going with this product from eco lawn fertilizer. One of the primary reasons why lawns start to brown and dry out is due to low levels of aeration in the soil.
Your grass needs air circulating around the roots to thrive, and if the soil compacts, it chokes the life out of your grass. This product from Eco Garden not only feeds your grass but also improves aeration in the soil, preventing compaction around the roots of your turf.
This product reduces soil compaction, increasing the penetration of air, water, and fertilizer to the roots of the grass. This liquid fertilizer’s aerating action improves your lawn’s drainage, eliminating waterlogging and compaction of mud around the roots of the grass.
This product comes with a powerful proprietary formulation, and it’s compatible with northern and southern grass varieties. This formula is non-toxic and safe for use around people and pets, with no time required for penetration before walking on the grass.
This product comes in a large quart-size bottle with enough liquid to treat 32,000-sq ft. While it might be more expensive than other products in this review, you’re getting excellent value for money with this fertilizer.
- Excellent greening action.
- Improves aeration in the soil.
- Enhances soil drainage.
- 100% safe for pets and people.
- Breaks up soil compaction.
- One bottle covers 32,000-sq ft.
Revive Ready-to-Spray Soil Builder
Revive is another leading lawncare brand specializing in products to keep your grass looking green and healthy. This product comes in ready-to-spray format, with a spray applicator bottle. Simply hook the bottle up to your garden hose, and depress the trigger on the spray bottle.
The applicator allows water into the bottle, mixing it with the fertilizer to the perfect ratio. There’s no worrying about burning your lawn with this product; you get an even application at the right dose for a happy and healthy lawn.
This product is non-toxic, with no harmful ingredients, making it safe for pets and people. With this Revive formula, you get an aerating action to the roots of your grass, providing higher airflow to your lawn and better growth in your grass.
This product improves your soil’s aeration, allowing for penetration of water, fertilizer, and air into the roots. There’s no need for mechanical aeration of your lawn, and you get protection against compaction while improving soil drainage.
This formula contains “lignosulfonates,” compounds that release carbon deposits slowly into the lawn, giving the microbes in your soil the nutrients they need to thrive. This product is designed and manufactured in the United States.
- High-quality ingredients.
- Excellent results.
- Aerates and fertilizes your lawn.
- Releases carbon into the soil to feed microbes.
- Improves soil drainage.
- Works fast, with results in 72-hours.
- Spray bottle applicator included.
- Made in the USA.
- Covers up to 2,000-square ft.
Southern Ag Chelated Liquid Iron
If your lawn is starting to lose its lustrous green hue, it means it’s running out of nutrients. Usually, this occurs when the rains don’t come, and people have to water their lawn manually. The water pH and the lack of nutrients start to take a toll on your grass, and it starts to die.
However, it’s possible to bring your grass back to life by introducing liquid fertilizer to your lawn. When your lawn starts to lose its natural green color, it’s time to take action to bring it back to health.
Typically, browning of your grass means that the soil is lacking iron and nitrogen, the two primary nutrients responsible for producing a Lucious, thick, green lawn. This fertilizer from Southern Ag gives your grass the nutrients it needs to survive and thrive.
This product comes in a gallon package, and it’s suitable for treating up to 8,000-sq ft. It’s an economical buy and a great choice for greening your lawn. This product focuses more on correcting iron deficiency in your lawn, but it does provide an immediate greening effect you’ll notice a day or so after application.
- An excellent product for treating iron deficiency in your lawn.
- 1-gallon treats 8,000-sq ft.
- Multi-use for lawns, flowers, and shrubs.
- Available in multi-packs for a sizeable discount.
GS Plant Foods SoftSoil Liquid Soil Aerator & Lawn Treatment
If you’re dealing with compacted soil in your lawn, you have a problem. Without air getting to the roots of your grass, your lawn is going to die. If it recently rained in your area and your garden is waterlogged, you’ll need to manually aerate it to get air to your lawn.
However, aerating a lawn manually takes hours, and it’s plenty of hard work. Instead of waiting for the rains to arrive and ruin your lawn, rely on GS Plant Foods SoftSoil to remediate your lawn and prevent waterlogging. This product has a similar action to the Eco Garden product we covered earlier.
The proprietary formula in this product helps to loosen compacted soil, enhancing airflow to the roots of the grass while improving soil drainage. This product also removes toxins from the lawn that are causing your grass to die off.
This product comes in a 1-gallon bottle, allowing for 500 sq-ft of coverage. While that might not be the best coverage in this review, it’s adequate for most home lawns. This product helps your grass soak up more nutrients from the soil, improving its color and health, providing your turf with a long-lasting dose of fertilizer that lasts throughout the growing season.
- Aerates the soil and feeds your grass.
- Organic, non-toxic formula.
- It fixes soil compaction and improves drainage.
- Enhances nutrient uptake in your lawn.
- Removes toxins from depleted soil.
LawnStar Chelated Liquid Iron
As mentioned earlier, iron deficiency is another leading cause of lackluster lawns. Iron is an essential mineral for your grass, allowing it to soak up other nutrients like nitrogen. When iron levels are low in the soil, your grass struggles to grow.
By boosting iron levels, you give your lawn the ideal mineral balance it needs to survive and thrive. This product from LawnStar offers you a chelated iron product to improve the health and look of your lawn. This product comes in a 1-gallon bottle, providing enough coverage for up to 8,000 sq-ft.
This product improves the pH in the soil, allowing for optimal uptake of nutrients into the grass. This sugar-based chelator is non-toxic and safe for use around people and pets. The formula promotes root development, allowing for longer and stronger blades of grass in your lawn.
This product is an excellent choice for your lawn, and it’s also a great foliar-feeding formula for shrubs and plants around the yard, promoting color and vibrancy in your garden. LawnStar also offers a 30-day warranty on the product.
This product is stable and suitable for use in high-alkaline soils where the pH might not cause optimal growing conditions for your lawn. LawnStar improves the pH balance, providing optimal growing conditions for your grass.
- Sugar-based chelating formula.
- Reduces pH in alkaline lawns.
- Stops Chlorosis in plants and shrubs.
- Improves nutrient uptake in the roots.
- Covers 8,000-sq-ft.
- 30-day warranty.
Bonide Liquid Iron Concentrate
As mentioned, one of the reasons why your lawn is turning yellow is due to iron depletion in the soil. Iron is a critical mineral for your grass, allowing the uptake of other nutrients. Iron improves chlorophyll production, the biochemical compound in grass that turns it green.
However, with limited iron in the soil, your grass struggles with absorbing the other nutrients it needs to survive. This liquid lawn fertilizer from Bonide provides your lawn with everything it needs to absorb nutrients and thrive.
This product is compatible with most herbicides and pesticides, with a non-toxic formula that’s safe for use around people and pets. This product contains natural organic ingredients that aren’t harmful to soil microbes or your pets.
This product provides a noticeable greening effect to your lawn overnight. In 72-hours, you’ll marvel at the change in the color of your lawn and its health.
Bonide is one of the most trusted names in lawn care, producing top-quality products since 1926. You can also use this fertilizer as a foliar spray for shrubs and flowers around your garden. The chelated iron in the formula helps prevent chlorosis in your plants, keeping them green throughout the growing season.
- Prevent chlorosis in your grass.
- Balance pH levels for optimal nutrient uptake.
- Trusted brand since 1926.
- Non-toxic and safe for pets and people.
- A noticeable greening effect in 24-hours.
Medina 12-4-8 Ready-to-Spray HastaGro Lawn
If your lawn is looking worse for wear this growing season, bring it back to life with this greening product from Medina. Median is a top brand in lawn care, offering excellent products that work. This “HastaGro” product contains chelated iron to improve soil pH and improve nutrient uptake.
It also comes with a high nitrogen dose to give your lawn that deep green color lusted after by all gardeners. This product comes with a convenient spray applicator bottle. Hook up your garden hose, depress the trigger, and the applicator mixes the perfect amount of fertilizer for your lawn. Point and spray, and then put it away.
The results from this product come overnight, and you’ll wake up the following morning to a lovely green lawn. This product comes with an affordable price tag and long-lasting action throughout the growing season.
This product comes in a one-quart container, providing coverage for up to 4,000-sq-ft. It’s the ideal product for smaller yards and lawns.
This product works best on new lawns or new lawn installations, providing the grass with everything it needs to establish itself as a new lawn. Avoid using this product if you think it might rain, and the rain will dilute the fertilizer, reducing its effect.
- Fast greening action overnight.
- Fast absorption by lawn.
- Improves nutrient uptake in your lawn.
- Easy spray bottle applicator.
- NPK 12-4-8 for optimal feeding of your grass.
- Covers 4,000-sq-ft.
Other Best Selling Options
- BENEFITS: All purpose fertilizer designed to be used throughout the growing season that provides readily available nutrients AND extended, long lasting nitrogen (Product contains 50% SLOW RELEASE NITROGEN (SRN))
- BONUS: Micro-nutrients aid in plant growth, aesthetic appeal, and overall plant health.
- DIRECTIONS FOR ORNAMENTALS: Mix 1-2 oz of fertilizer to 1 gallon of water and water plants generously. Use fertilizer once every two weeks. DIRECTIONS FOR TURF: Use 3 oz. of fertilizer for every 1000 sq. ft. Mix in a spray tank at ratio of 1-3 oz per gallon of water. Fertilize once every 2-4 weeks.
- GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: 18% Nitrogen | 3% Available Phosphoric Acid | 6% Soluble Potash | .05% Copper .1% Iron .05% Manganese .05% Zinc
- Complete NPK Lawn Food: 16-4-8 is the perfect blend of key macronutrients. This lawn liquid food turf fertilizer also contains Seaweed & Fish.
- Contains High Quality Feed Grade Ingredients: Nourish your lawn with pure liquid Nutrients in a ready to use sprayer
- Easy To Use: Designed to be easily applied. This complete Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potash formula gives your grass greening & growth while providing nutrients for lush lawns
- All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo, Centipede, Florida Palmetto, Bahia, Fescue, Ryegrass & Kentucky Bluegrass
- Produced In The United States: 16-4-8 is manufactured in the United States of America, by a family owned business with 25 years of former experience in the commercial professional turf industry.
- Hand-crafted, Micro-brewed liquid lawn fertilizer for all lawn and pasture. With mycorrhizae, humic acid, enzymes, and more.
- 100% nutrition: Macros & Micros, with Iron and balanced N-P-K.
- Perfect for tow behind tank and hose-end spraying! Instant Green.
- 1 gallon treats a 5,000 sq ft lawn a minimum 8 times with a hose-end sprayer.
- Feeds and greens while watering your lawn
- Apply to any grass type
- Use when turf is actively growing
- Improved greening (when compared to previous Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer and applied as directed)
- Feeds and strengthens to help protect against future problems
- High Phosphorus, High Potassium Lawn Food: If your lawn is showing symptoms of a Phosphorus and Potassium deficiency or if you want to maintain lawn health then this is the correct fertilizer for you!
- Made With High Quality Feed Grade Ingredients: Nourish your lawn to health with pure liquid Nutrients.
- Easy To Use: Designed to be easily applied. This high Phosphorus & Potassium Lawn Food gives your lawn the nutrients it needs for strong root development, health and strength.
- All Grass types: Including Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Buffalo, Centipede, Palmetto & Bluegrass. Safe for Children and Pets.
- Just like the human body your lawn needs essential vitamins and nutrients to survive and maintain health. Read in Description Sign of Symptoms of Phosphorus and Potassium Deficiencies.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Buyers Guide
If your lawn is looking under the weather, it’s time to bring it back to health. Lawns are like your flower bed; it’s just a plant with roots. Feeding your grass the right blend of nutrients during the growing season keeps it looking great.
With the best liquid fertilizer for your lawn, you can take your patch of grass from a burned-out brown wasteland into a thriving piece of turf in a few days. However, there are hundreds of lawn fertilizer products available from dozens of brands.
Which one is the right choice for your lawn? Feeding your lawn is an essential seasonal task if you want to keep it looking great. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about using and choosing the right products for your lawn.
Test Your Soil
Before you start reviewing lawn fertilizers, it’s a good idea to start with a soil test. A soil test helps you identify any nutrient deficiencies in the ground, allowing you to make the correct amendments.
Take your soil sample to your local nursery for analysis. The nurseries send the soil away to a lab for testing, and they’ll call you with the results and recommendations when they review your analysis.
The test checks for nutrient levels, specifically nitrogen and potassium. The test also confirms the pH of our soil. Soils with a high pH value require adminis6tration of iron-based fertilizer products to bring the pH down to the normal growing range.
Some nurseries offer DIY soil testing kits if you don’t want to pay for the lab analysis.
How Long Does My Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Last?
Most gardening experts will tell you to fertilize your lawn three to four times a year, depending on its condition and the fertilizer product you’re using.
However, we feel twice a year at the beginning and middle of the growing season is more than adequate for most lawns. Some lawns might benefit from a third treatment later in the season.
The type of grass and soil also plays a significant role in choosing the right fertilizer and how many times you need to apply it throughout the year.
If you have sandy soils, you’ll need more frequent fertilizing. Sandy soil doesn’t hold nutrients as well as loamy soils, and the soil loses more nutrients with every watering, requiring fertilizer to replace the lost plant food.
When Do I Treat My Lawn with Liquid Fertilizer?
If you only intend on fertilizing your lawn once per year, we recommend you do it around Labor Day. This time of the growing season is when your lawn needs the most nutrients, and it will soak them up, resulting in an impressive overnight greening effect.
Replenishing your soil’s nutrient reserves at this stage of the growing season gives your grass all the food it needs to survive the rest of the growing season and the overwintering process. If you’re fertilizing your lawn twice a year, add a second application to your grass around the middle of October.
This second application provides the soil with additional nutrients for the winter, giving your grass a jump start of healthy nutrition at the beginning of the spring.
Your third application can occur at the end of spring, providing your grass with the food it needs to start the growing season off strong.
It’s important to keep an eye on the weather when you’re fertilizing your lawn. If you fertilize the lawn in the peak of the midday sun during the middle of a heatwave, you’re asking for problems. You might end up burning your grass, resulting in the need to cut out the area and replace it with new sod.
Fertilize in the early morning or the late afternoon after the heat of the day subsides.
Granular Vs. Liquid Fertilizer
So, is a liquid fertilizer better than a granular product? Lets’ examine the differences between granular and liquid fertilizers.
Liquid Fertilizer Pros
Liquids immediately saturate your soil, leaching into the ground where the roots of your grass readily absorb the nutrients.
As a result, you get a fast greening and strengthening effect in your lawn that’s noticeable after 24-hours. Granular formulas features sustained release to provide longer life in the soil compared to liquids.
Liquid fertilizers either come premixed or in spray applicators, allowing for easy application to your lawn at the right concentration.
Some liquid fertilizers come with versatile use, allowing you to use them as a foliar feeding system for plants and shrubs around your garden.
Blend with other fertilizers
It’s simple to blend liquid fertilizers with other lawn care products for easy application.
Liquid Fertilizer Cons
Requires several applications through the season
Liquid fertilizer washes away with your lawn drainage during the season. Therefore, it requires several applications throughout the growing season to keep nutrients level s in the soil at optimum quantities for your grass’s health.
Expensive compared to granular options
Most liquid-based lawn fertilizers are more expensive than granular versions. In most cases, you usually get about double the coverage using a granular option. However, granular fertilizer formulations are not as fast-acting and effective as liquids.
For this reason, we recommend starting the growing season with a liquid to introduce nutrients to the soil. As that fades, add a granular fertilizer to get your lawn through the rest of the growing season and the winter.
According to a study by Michigan State University, water-soluble fertilizers provide faster results. Still, they don’t last as long as granular fertilizer, requiring additional applications during the summer.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer FAQs
How many times a year should I fertilize my lawn?
Liquid fertilizer products don’t last as long as granular products. However, they work faster. Still, you’re going to need to fertilize your lawn up to four times throughout the growing season, depending on the state of your lawn.
Can I mow the grass after fertilizing my lawn?
If you fertilize your lawn, make sure the fertilizer absorbs into the soil and dries before you start mowing. Mowing too early stops the grass from absorbing all of the fertilizer, and you’ll cut it away with the grass. It’s a better idea to fertilizer after mowing.
When will I notice the results after applying my liquid lawn fertilizer?
Most liquid lawn fertilizers, especially the products in this review, show results overnight. You’ll notice a significant greening effect in 24-hours, intensifying over the following three or four days.
Where can I buy the best liquid lawn fertilizer?
We recommend picking up your liquid lawn fertilizer at Amazon. Amazon has excellent prices and a comprehensive product range – all of the items in this review are available through the world’s largest retailer. With Amazon, you get free shipping if you’re a Prime member and buyer protection on your order.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer – The Verdict
Give your lawn the boost it needs with the addition of liquid fertilizer to add nutrients to the soil. With the best liquid lawn fertilizer, you get an overnight greening effect on your grass, bringing back the luster to your lawn.
After reading through our reviews and buyer’s guide, you should have your eye on a potential product for greening your lawn. However, if you’re on the fence with your purchase decision, let us push you in the right direction with one of our top picks.
Scotts Liquid Turf Builder is our choice for the best overall product in this review. This fertilizer comes in a spray bottle for easy application, and you get a weed killer included in the formulation. This product is a great choice for anyone that wants to rejuvenate their lawn and kill off weeds in the same task.
If you’re looking for the best premium liquid lawn fertilizer in this review, we recommend going with the Eco Garden Air Lawn Fertilizer. This product comes with a potent greening effect through loosening the soil under the lawn. This fertilizer improves aeration in the soil around the roots, reducing compaction of soil that causes waterlogging. You get better drainage from your lawn and healthy grass.
Revive Ready-to-Spray Soil Builder is our top choice for the best budget liquid fertilizer in this review. With this product, you get an overnight greening effect. This fertilizer comes in a convenient spray bottle applicator for easy use.