Taking the best care of your lawn means that you need to weed frequently, and fertilize at the right times of the year. Unfortunately, weeding your garden can be a time-consuming exercise, especially if you have a big piece of property.
Getting down on your hands and knees to pull weeds is back-breaking work. There’s also a chance that you don’t get the whole weed. How many times have you pulled on the tops, only to find the roots left behind? You can bet they’ll be back for the second round of flowering before the season finishes.
If your lawn is looking worse for wear, then bring it back to life using weed and feed fertilizers and herbicides. These products introduce essential minerals into the ground that accelerate the growth of your grass. Your lawn grows thick and healthy, and with no weeds.
A weed and feed formula typically contains herbicides that destroy weeds growing in your lawn.
Some brands promote that its formula can kill up to 250-varieties of garden weeds. Using this herbicide won’t damage your lawn unless you’re using an exotic grass species and its safe for your garden’s environment.
Say goodbye to the effort of maintaining your lawn this next spring and winter. By fertilizing and weed-proofing your garden, it will look in fantastic shape for next year’s family cookout in the yard.
Our Top 3 Weed and Feed Picks
- 1 Our Top 3 Weed and Feed Picks
- 2 Best Pick: GreenView Fairway Formula Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer
- 3 Runner Up Pick: Preen One Lawncare Weed and Feed
- 4 Budget Pick: GreenView Weed and Feed
- 5 The Best Weed & Feed Reviews
- 6 Other Best Selling Options
- 7 Weed and Feed Buyer’s Guide
- 7.1 Looking for Lawn Deficiencies
- 7.2 Testing Your Soil
- 7.3 Reading Fertilizer Labels
- 7.4 The Different Types of Fertilizer
- 7.5 How to Fertilize Your Lawn
- 7.6 Types of Grass
- 7.7 The Best Weed and Feed Formula for Southern Lawns
- 7.8 The Best Weed and Feed Formula for Bermuda grass
- 7.9 Tips for Feeding Your Lawn
- 7.10 Watering Your Lawn
- 7.11 Weedkiller in your Fertilizing Formula
- 8 Weed and Feed FAQ
- 9 Conclusion
For anyone that doesn’t have time to go through all of the details in the reviews, we made things easier for you. Here are our top three picks for the best weed and feed formulas available.
Best Pick: GreenView Fairway Formula Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer
- Pro-grade, professional DIY results
- 1 Application = 3 lawn treatments; blocks crabgrass, kills weeds, feeds lawn
- Kills 200+ tough lawn weeds; proprietary formula kills dandelions and seedling crabgrass at the same time
- 65% slow-release nitrogen formulation, steady even feeding up to 12 weeks
- Do not use on St. Augustine grass in Florida, or on dichondra and carpet grass as serious lawn injury will result
This formula leaves your lawn looking like the fairway on the bag. A potent fertilizer that turns grass green while enhancing growth. Successfully kills more than 200-varieties of weeds.
Runner Up Pick: Preen One Lawncare Weed and Feed
- Stops crabgrass all season and can be applied up to 4 weeks after crabgrass emerges
- Kills dandelions and up to 250 other tough lawn weeds as listed, to the root
- Feeds your lawn for up to eight weeks with a, zero-phosphorus 24-0-6 formula
- Do not use this product on St Augustinegrass, colonial bentgrass, dichondra or carpet grass as serious lawn injury will result
- Kills dandelions and crabgrass in one easy weed and feed application.
The best choice for lawns where weeds are already growing. This formula only needs application every 8-weeks and kills up to 250-varieties of weeds.
Budget Pick: GreenView Weed and Feed
- Granular lawn care product that kills over 250 weeds as listed on the label
- Time-released nitrogen for extended feeding for up to 8 weeks
- Promotes quick green up; will not burn lawn
- Restores nutrients to the soil and helps lawn retain water to protect against heat and drought
- 27-0-4 NPK Formulation, no phosphates - helps protect our waterways
This fertilizer and weed killer offers the best value for money in this review.
The Best Weed & Feed Reviews
We reviewed the best weed and feed products available. We went through dozens of products to isolate these five options. Choose a product that meets the needs of your garden, and say goodbye to the weeds while you welcome in the grass!
Best Pick: GreenView Fairway Formula Fertilizer
We start our review with the best product in its class. TheGreenview Fairway Formula Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer is the top choice in this review. We think of this as a professional grade-product, with long-lasting effects from the slow-releasing formula. In warmer climates, you can get away with two annual feedings in the early spring and fall, with no intra-seasonal feeding necessary.
When you think about the effect of this slow-releasing compound on reducing your annual feeding costs, it’s easy to justify the price tag for this product. The manufacturer states this formulation kills over 200-species of weeds, including chickweed, seedling crabgrass, and dandelion.
Due to the slow-releasing formula, this product is best for use on established lawns that have a healthy root system. Using it on younger grass may result in burning and stunted growth. The manufacturer has this weed and feed formula available in 18 and 36-pound bags. An 18-pound bag will cover 5,000-square feet of lawn.
- Short reaction time, with results noticeable after 4-weeks.
- Fertilizer requires infrequent application.
- Successfully eliminates dandelions.
- Might injure carpet grass, dichondra, and Saint Augustine grass.
Runner-Up Pick: Preen One LawncareThis product is a close runner up on the GreenView Fairway formula. This weed and feed product is best for lawns where weeds are already growing and taking over the yard. This formula features post-emergent, so the user can apply it up to 30-days after noticing the first signs of crabgrass.
The manufacturer also states that this product kills white clover, dandelion, and over 250-species of broadleaf weeds. The weedkiller penetrates to the roots, destroying the weed while leaving your lawn weed-free.
Do not use this formula on carpet grass, colonial bentgrass, Saint Augustine or dichondra. Avoid using this fertilizer after sowing seeds for at least the first 8-weeks. The Preen One Lawncare formula is ideal for use on Zoysia, bluegrass, Fescue, or ryegrass. The 36-pound bag is more than enough to cover 10,000-square feet of lawn. You also have the option of 18-lbs and 9-lbs bags as well.
- Effective in removing dandelions.
- Works in less than 4-weeks.
- Grass looks healthier and thicker after use.
- May require several applications.
Budget Pick: GreenView Weed and Feed Review
The smaller brother of the Fairway formula from the same company is still a potent weed and feed product for the home garden. The formula comes with the same 250-species weed killer formula featured in the Fairway blend, and the same time-release formula to save you on seasonal feedings.
Greenway specialized this formula for generalized use country-wide, with select ingredients that every lawn needs for optimal nutrition and growth. It’s slightly less potent that the Fairway blend, and you’ll need to reapply every eight to 190-weeks for best results.
Apply it to your lawn straight after mowing, and let it help your grass retain water and nutrients in the soil. This formula comes in 9-lbs, 18-lbs, and 36-lbs bags, for coverage of up to 15,000-square feet.
- Kills dandelions fast before they spread.
- It gives the grass a dark green color.
- It prevents the spread of invasive weeds.
- It improves the thickness and growth of grass.
- Takes multiple applications to kill weeds.
- Clovers are resistant to this product.
Scotts Turf Builder
While it’s not in the top three products in this review, Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food and Weed Preventer is a premium lawn care formula that you should still consider. This product contains lawn food and pre-emergent, with active ingredient lasting up to 6-weeks between feeding sessions.
The product is effective at removing dandelions, crabgrass, and weeds from the lawn, but you need to apply it more frequently than the Greenview products. As a result, you’ll end up spending as much on this product as the Fairway formula from Greenview.
However, Scott’s turf builder stops weeds from sprouting. As with most other pre-emergent herbicide formulas, you’ll need to apply it in the early spring. This strategy prevents the weeds from growing when the ground starts to get warmer, and the rains arrive.
This product is also suitable for use with sod and grass plugs and sod, and the formula helps new lawns thrive, making it the ideal choice for younger grass. One 9-lbs bag covers 5,000-square feet.
Take a look here we go into more detail about Scott’s Fertilizer products.
- Use this formula to reseed a garden or start a new one.
- Works fast, results in 2-weeks or less.
- Grass proliferates and turns thick with a deep green color.
- Not available in Florida
Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action
Are you searching for the best lawn fertilizer and insect repellant? If you reside in the northern United States, you’ll love this product from Scott.
Scotts Turf Builder, Triple Action for northern lawns, is a complete feeding, pre-emergent, and pesticide product suitable for all northern grass types.
This long-lasting formula provides your lawn with nutrients and protective agents that keep it looking great year-round.
This Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action features a specific formulation for use in northern lawns. The potent herbicide kills dandelion, clover and prevents crabgrass from establishing itself on your lawn. Get a lawn feeder and weeder product designed for your climate conditions and grass type.
The powerful Scotts formula is suitable for use on the following grass types.
- Fine Fescue
- Kentucky Bluegrass
- Perennial Ryegrass
- Tall Fescue
This Scott’s product feeds and weeds your lawn while providing preventative protection. You get a long-lasting formula, with application needed every four to six months for the best results.
Scotts Turf Builder’s granular formulation makes it easy to spread using a manual or electric spreading machine.
However, due to this product’s formulation, keep pets and kids away from the lawn until after watering. This Scotts product comes in your choice of 4,000-sq ft or 8,000-sq ft coverage.
If you’re a resident of the northern United States, this product is the best choice for weeding, feeding, and protecting your lawn.
The specialized formulation works on northern grass types, providing your lawn with all the nutrients it needs to survive and thrive.
This Scotts product has a long-lasting formulation, with re-application needed every six months. You get outstanding pre-emergent protection and a thick, green lawn.
- Triple action feeds weeds and prevents.
- Covers up to 4,000-sq ft.
- Suitable for use in spreader machines.
- Easy application.
- Long-lasting protection up to 6-months.
- Provides a greening effect in three days when used with Scotts Green Max.
- Noticeable results in two weeks.
Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action Review
Are you looking for a lawn fertilizer and pest protectant? If you live in the southern states, you’ll love this product from Scott.
This long-lasting formula keeps your lawn looking tip-top for up to 6-months. It feeds the grass while killing off pests.
Specially formulated for southern states, this Scott product is easy to use, providing your lawn with all the nutrients it needs to thrive.
Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action is suitable for use on all southern grass types. Some of the grasses suited to this formulation include the following.
This product contains a three-in-one formulation, providing your lawn with weedkiller, fertilizer, and a preventative. Scott’s backs this product with its famous satisfaction guarantee.
This formulation is effective at killing insects and weeds. Eliminate dollarweed and clover from your lawn while killing pests like ticks and fire ants.
The fertilizer in the formula specifically strengthens southern grass types, protecting them against drought and the suns strong UV rays.
This Scott product is easy to use. The granular formulation is easy to spread on dry lawns. You get your choice of bags covering 4,000-sq ft, or 8,000-sq ft. Pour it into your spreader, and start weeding and feeding your lawn.
If you live in a southern state, Scott’s Southern Triple Action Formula is an excellent option, tailored to your lawns specific needs.
You get a product that works on all southern grass types, without burning the lawn. It’s dry application makes it easy to work with, and you get long-lasting protection for up to 6-months, reducing your seasonal feeding and weeding duties.
We like the fire ant and tick insecticide included in the formula. With the Lone Star tick being abundant in southern states, this formula keeps your family safe from bites and Lyme disease.
- Triple-action formula kills weeds. Feeds your lawn, and prevents weeds.
- Works on all southern grass types.
- Kills Fire ants and ticks.
- Long-lasting 6-month formula.
- Excellent fertilizer for thick, Lucious lawns.
- Options for 4,000-sq ft or 8,000-sq ft coverage.
- Works with all commercial spreader machines.
- Compatible with other Scotts products like Green Max.
Our final choice in this review is the BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Lawn Fertilizer and Herbicide. This product is effective at killing and controlling the growth of several weed varieties, including white clover and dandelions. A single application can last up to 6-months, and keep your lawn looking great throughout the summer.
This formula is ideal for southern grasses like Bermuda grass, centipede grass, zoysia grass, and Saint Augustine. The slow-releasing action of the granules means you only need to feed in the early spring and then at the beginning of June. A bag is 12.5 pounds, and it covers up to 5,000-square feet.
- One application produces a noticeable difference.
- Regular use keeps grass healthy and weeds at bay.
- Kills weeds that other formulas can’t.
- It takes time to dissolve in water.
- Not suitable for zoysia grass.
Other Best Selling Options
- Up to 2X more powerful dandelion and clover control (vs. previous formula)
- Clears out dandelions and clover—satisfaction guaranteed
- Weedgrip technology grips the weeds you see—and the ones you don't
- Scotts most powerful weed and feed
- Feeds to thicken lawns and crowd out weeds
- Triple Action – Kills, Prevents and Feeds | Keep people and pets out of the area during application. Do not allow people or pets to enter the treated areas until dusts have settled
- Apply in spring when daytime temperatures are consistently between 60ᵒ F and 80ᵒ F and before the 3rd or 4th mowing | Do not apply to newly seeded or sodded areas until after the 4th mowing. Apply product when dandelions are actively growing
- You must wait at least 6-8 weeks between fertilizer applications | Covers up to 4,000 sq. ft.
- This product contains both a pre-emergent and post-emergent weed control | Would not be a control for spurge
- Use on Bahiagrass, Bermudagrass, Centipedegrass, Fine Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and Tall Fescue | Will not kill actively growing crabgrass but will kill actively growing broadleaf weeds if applied correctly
- DUAL-ACTION FORMULA: Kills major broadleaf weeds while feeding your lawn.
- FEEDS LAWN: Fertilizes with 20 percent nitrogen formulation.
- KILLS WEEDS: Controls dandelion, chickweed, knotweed, plantain, clover, mallow, purslane and many broadleaf weeds as listed.
- QUICKFLIP SPRAYER: Just connect to your hose and spray – just grip, flip and go.
- COVERAGE: 32 ounces treats up to 7,500 square feet of lawn.
- Kills dollarweed, clover and other listed lawn weeds
- Feeds grass to crowd out future weeds
- Builds strong, deep grass roots to strengthen against heat and drought
- Not for use on Bermudagrass
- Only for use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), centipede, zoysia and carpetgrass lawns
- Fertilizer and kills over 250 broadleaf weeds, including dandelion, henbit, dollar weed, White clover, plantain and chickweed
- Treats northern and southern grasses
- Not for floral St. Augustine
- Quick greening
- Extended feeding
Weed and Feed Buyer’s Guide
Fertilizer and weed killer are essential parts of any gardeners toolshed. Fertilizer improves the health of your plants, causing them to yield and flower more than without using the treatment. It’s the same for your lawn as well. By feeding your garden, you ensure that your grass grows thick, healthy, and full of color.
If you’ve never had to deal with fertilizer before, then out buyers’ guide will give you everything you need to know about this topic.
Looking for Lawn Deficiencies
Anyone that’s new to garden needs to learn about the importance of adding nutrients to your lawn. Nutrients increase your lawn’s ability to process water and sunlight, giving them a healthy root structure that avoids diseases and premature death of the grass. When your garden starts to develop deficiencies in nutrients, it will turn up in patches of discolored lawn. By treating it with fertilizer, you restore these burned or spare patches to normal health.
Fertilizer complex’s come in a range of blends using three to four different minerals. The most common types found in fertilizer are phosphorous, nitrogen, and potassium. Nitrogen is the mineral responsible for promoting growth in your grass, and giving it that deep green color every gardener loves.
Phosphorous helps to stimulate root growth, and potassium helps your lawn with drought and disease resistance. Most fertilizers have a combination of these three essential ingredients, along with some other additions to specialize in the formulation. Fertilizers can help your lawn deal with deficiencies in calcium, carbon, oxygen, carbon, boron, magnesium, boron, iron, cobalt, and manganese as well.
Testing Your Soil
The first step in analyzing what fertilizer will suit the needs of your lawn is through a soil sample. You can take a sample of the soil of your lawn through to a nursery for testing. Most places will get your test results while you wait. After receiving the test, the technician will make recommendations on minerals you need to add to the soil.
Reading Fertilizer Labels
After receiving your test results, it’s time to pick the right fertilizer blend. Every bag of fertilizer will list the ration of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium on the label. Ask the technician who did your soil sample about the best ratio to suit the mineral deficiencies in your lawn.
The Different Types of Fertilizer
There are two common types of fertilizer on the market; liquid and granular. Both of these types have individual advantages and disadvantages. We recommend that you stick with the tried and tested granular types of fertilizer. Most companies that produce spray fertilizers make them for indoor use or small gardens, and granular offers better value for your money.
Some fertilizers feature slow-release formulas, and you don’t have to fertilize as often to achieve good results. However, most fertilizers require you to treat the lawn at least every 8-weeks from the start of spring.
How to Fertilize Your Lawn
After purchasing your fertilizer formula that’s ideal for restoring the health of your grass, it’s time to spread it on your lawn. We recommend that you use a fertilizer spreader. A spreader provides you with an even level of disbursement over the lawns surface.
A chest-mounted spreader would be the ideal option to fertilize a smaller lawn. You strap on the harness, fill the hopper, and walk around your yard winding a crank. Repeat this treatment every few weeks, and your lawn will be looking great in no time.
Types of Grass
Different species of grass respond better to different fertilizer formulations. If you don’t know what kind of grass you have growing in your yard, then take a sample along to your nursery when you go for the soil test. An experienced gardener will be able to tell you what kind of grass it is with a simple look at your sample.
There are general fertilizers that may burn sensitive species of grass. So, always ensure that you choose the right formulation before you go home and kill your entire lawn. We recommend a slow-release formula for established laws.
These formulations have strong doses for your grass that release over many months. We don’t recommend these formulations for younger lawns that are not yet mature. Younger grass may require a more frequent application to prevent burning from slow-release formulations.
The Best Weed and Feed Formula for Southern Lawns
Southern grass species prefer wetter conditions and plenty of fertilizer. You can use Scotts Triple Action for Southern Lawns to take care of your Bahia, Bermuda, St Augustine, and centipede varieties of grass.
The Best Weed and Feed Formula for Bermuda grass
BioAdvanced 3 in 1 Weed and Feed is the best option for your Bermuda grass. This species is common around Texas, and not all weed and feeds are suitable for these lawns.
Tips for Feeding Your Lawn
To get the best results out of feeding your lawn, you need to pay attention to your feeding schedule. Timing is of the utmost importance, and knowing when to spread your fertilizer is half the battle.
For older, established lawns, early springtime is the best time for the first feeding session of the season. If you use a slow-releasing formula, you won’t have to feed again until mid-May. After the May feeding, you’ll need to increase the fertilizer schedule to once every six weeks to accommodate the summer growth. Keep feeding your lawn through until the end of October.
Watering Your Lawn
When fertilizing your lawn, it’s essential that you remember to keep watering throughout the summer. If you don’t water your garden after feeding it, then you’ll probably end up causing burning in some patches. Water thoroughly after your feeding session to ensure that the nutrients go into the ground.
We recommend that you use a large sprinkler system to water your lawn after a feeding session. Always water in the early morning before the sun gets too high in the sky. The heat of the day increases evaporation rate, and watering later in the afternoon or peak sun hours will be wasting this resource.
Weedkiller in your Fertilizing Formula
All of the weed and feed formulas listed in this review come with weedkiller included. Dandelions are a pesky invasive species that turn up in everyone’s lawns in the summertime. If you don’t take extra precaution during the summer months, and weed out those pesky plants, they can take over a garden quickly.
Fortunately, all of the products in this review are effective at killing off dandelions that invade your lawn, before they have a chance to spread. Some of the formulations in this review can remove up to 250-species of weeds from your yard.
Weed and Feed FAQ
Now that you have a better understanding of why you need weed and feed for your lawn let’s look at some frequently asked questions.
What kind of results can I expect from using weed and feed formulas?
With all of the weed and feed products in this review, you can expect excellent results. Some have slight variations than others, but they all do an excellent job of controlling weeds while improving the health of your lawn. All of the formulations in this review come with excellent mineral levels to sort out any deficiencies in your garden.
How many seasonal applications do I need?
We recommend that you first understand what kind of grass you have growing in your backyard. Take a sample down to your local nursery along with some soil. The technicians will make recommendations on the best formulations to suit your lawn.
In most cases, you need a first feeding in the early spring, followed by another in mid to late May as the summer approaches. Then, continue feeding every six to eight weeks until the end of October. Let the ground rest over the winter, and repeat the cycle the following spring.
Can I use weed and feed on trees and shrubs?
No, weed and feed formulas in this review are designed explicitly for grass. Using these nutrients on your plants may result in the burning of the foliage and damage to the root systems of the shrubs and trees.
How much do weed and feed cost?
An 18-pound bag of weed and feed can cost anywhere from $20 to $60, depending on the brand and its reputation. If you’re looking for the cheapest weed and feed available, then take a look at the GreenView Weed and Feed, at under $20 a bag, it’s a bargain for your garden.
Is there any difference between all the weed and feed products?
It may seem like all the products in this review are similar, but they all have unique formulations. These companies invest millions into research and development of the best nutrient combinations and weedkiller formulations.
The technology that goes into producing a bag of weed and feed far exceeds its price tag. However, always be sure that you buy a premium brand, as the quality of materials may vary from supplier to supplier for the manufacturer.
We hope that you have enough information on hand to make an informed purchase decision on the best weed and feed for your garden. However, if you are still on the fence and don’t know what to buy, you can rely on our top three picks as a suitable choice. All three of the products we picked were of the best quality and featured premium weed and feed formulations.
If you’re looking for the best weed and feed formula available, then we recommend you take the GreenView Fairway Formula Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer. This formula has everything your lawn needs and more. The 200-species weedkiller is a bonus, and it even keeps crabgrass off of your lawn. This fertilizer is excellent for constant feeding throughout the season.
The runner up to this product is the Preen One Lawncare Weed and Feed formulation. This product is another premium choice that will suit any garden. This fertilizer only needs application once every eight weeks, and it’s suitable for the first two feedings of the season.
If you’re strapped for cash this season, then look at the GreenView Weed and Feed formula. This product has almost everything the more expensive Fairway formula but at a fraction of the cost. Pick up a bag for under $20 and fertilize your lawn today.