You need to protect your family and property from intruders. While home security systems and high-security locks are essentials, you can get a lot of value out of other deterrents. Outdoor motion sensor lights are a fantastic investment in your home security.
These lights light up when they detect motion within the range of its sensor. A security light has plenty of advantages, and in this review, we’ll look at the best outdoor motion sensor light for your residence or business.
There are hundreds of models of security lights available from online retailers. Choosing the right one can be a frustrating experience to handle. We decided to help you out and collate our picks of the best outdoor motion sensor lights.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Motion Sensor Light Reviews
- 2.1 Baxia Technology BX-SL-101 – The Best Overall Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
- 2.2 Heath Zenith HZ-4144-BK – The Best Premium Model Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
- 2.3 Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WH
- 2.4 LePower Security Lights
- 2.5 Mr. Beams MB360XT
- 2.6 LeonLite LED Security Lights
- 2.7 DrawGreen DG08-A Solar Outdoor Motion Sensor
- 2.8 Defiant LED Motion Sensor Security Light
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What Kind of Power Sources Comes with Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights?
- 4.2 Battery-Powered Motion Sensor Lights
- 4.3 Wired Motion Sensor Lights
- 4.4 Solar-powered Motion Sensor Lights
- 4.5 What Is the Range of My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
- 4.6 The Depth of the Motion Sensor Range
- 4.7 The Range Angle of the Motion Sensor
- 4.8 The Throw of the Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
- 4.9 How Do I Install My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
- 4.10 How Do I Adjust My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
- 4.11 What are the Benefits of Installing an Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
- 5 Outdoor Motion Sensor Light FAQs
- 5.1 Why do I need outdoor motion sensor lights for my home or business?
- 5.2 What lightbulbs do I need for my outdoor motion sensor light?
- 5.3 How much area do outdoor motion sensor lights cover in my yard?
- 5.4 What power supply is best for my outdoor motion sensor light
- 5.5 Will motion detector lights add any value to my home security system?
- 6 Motion Sensor Lights – The Verdict
These models are ideal for residential use, but many of them also work to provide lighting to business premises. We scoured dozens of recommended models to find the best outdoor motion sensor light. For those that want to skip the rest of the review, here are our top three picks.
- Best Pick: Baxia Technology BX-SL-101
This outdoor motion sensor light from Baxia Technology comes with a four-pack of lights for setup at multiple points around your home. Your home likely has more than four sides, and these lights help provide adequate coverage to all the areas of your yard.
- Premium Pick: Heath Zenith HZ-4144-BK
This model from Heath Zenith is a great choice for your front porch. This motion sensor light comes with a classic design, but features modern components for a welcoming glow that performs.
- Budget Pick: Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WH
If you’re a homeowner on a budget, check out this Heath Zenith model. You get a dual-lamp design providing a wide lighting angle up top 150-degrees each, ensuring near-total coverage of your yard from one point.
Outdoor Motion Sensor Light Reviews
Now that you know our top models let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll also look at a few other models deserving mention for the best outdoor motion sensor light.
After reading through the reviews, check out our buyer’s guide section. We’ll give you everything you need to know to narrow down your selection and choose the right security light for your yard.
Baxia Technology BX-SL-101 – The Best Overall Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
Baxia Technology makes some innovative home lighting systems. Our top pick from the range is this model, with four lights included in a pack. This outdoor motion sensor light wins our award for the best overall motion sensor light in this review.
This model has a security-light look and function, with a powerful 28-watt LED lighting up the night. The detection angle of 120-degrees is suitable for residences, and you get an adjustable range detection of 5-feet or 15-feet.
We like the no-dim function on this model, Providing a stable beam, regardless of the battery life. You get outstanding protection from this solar model, with a poly-silicon solar panel for 17% faster charging and longer service life.
This model is weather-resistant, with an IP65 rating, and a durable casing. The Baxia is the ideal adjustable outdoor motion sensor light for backyards, porches, and walkways around the home needing more light at night.
- Detection range between 5-feet to 15-feet
- 120-degree detection range and light view
- No-Dim mode for efficient operation with 28-watt bright LED
- Efficient and eco-friendly with solar charging
- IP65 water resistance for outdoor use
- Suitable for residences and business premises
- Four lights included
- No option for wired connection
Heath Zenith HZ-4144-BK – The Best Premium Model Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
For homeowners looking for a premium wired-in motion sensor light, we recommend this Heath Zenith model. This outdoor light has a stylish, classic design, making it suitable for residences. Your get a 100-wat LED bulb with a warm white glow for a welcoming effect. It’s the ideal light for your front door or porch, and it works well around other areas of the yard as well.
This light comes with a steel design and construction, featuring a corrosion-resistant powder-coated finish for extended service life. You get a 150-degree detection angle, with an adjustable 10-foot detection range on this model.
- 10-foot detection range
- 150-degree detection angle and lighting view
- Dual-rite technology for effective lighting of your yard
- Durable steel design
- Durable weather-resistant powder-coated finish
- Classic, stylish design
- The design might clash with contemporary homes
Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WHThis heavy-duty motion sensor light by Heath Zenith is a top choice for a driveway spotlight. This model comes with a 150-degree detection angle, featuring two powerful 120-watt, 38-par floodlights.
You get an outstanding detection range of up to 70-feet, making it a great choice as a floodlight for the driveway or the backyard. The adjustable detection range allows you to set the light up to your yard’s dimensions or driveway length, without intruding on your neighbor’s property.
This Heath Zenith model comes with a metal and plastic housing, and an affordable price tag. You get outstanding protection from this wired-in system, at an excellent price.
- An excellent option for security
- 70-foot detection range
- 150-foot detection and light throw
- Suitable for driveways and large yards
- Metal and plastic construction
- Excellent value for money
- Floodlight bulbs not included
LePower Security LightsThis dual spotlight system is a great choice for lighting up your backyard or driveway. This model features a 28-watt LED with a filter lens for the best light dispersion. You get a 72-foot adjustable detection range to suit your application and a 180-degree detection range for superior protection and detection around your yard.
The light stays on for 10-minutes, featuring an auto-shutoff, and an adjustable motion detector head. This light comes with a 12-month warranty, and it’s a great choice for residences and businesses in need of security lighting.
- 72-foot detection range 28-watt powerful LED
- Dual lamp design
- Powered by Samsung headlight bead
- Save up to 80% electricity compared to halogen models
- Adjustable design with easy installation
- Full-metal housing
- Filter lens included
- No solar power functionality
Mr. Beams MB360XTThis model features a wireless installation, with three D-cell batteries powering the spotlight. It’s easy to set up with basics tools like a drill and screwdriver. Install this unit on your porch, driveway, or backyard for security lighting around your home.
The bright MB360XT LED covers around 600-square feet, with 200 lumens of light, making it ideal for walkways and dark areas. This spotlight’s weatherproof design features an IPX6 rating, and it’s a durable model for outdoor use.
The light’s reflective face creates a larger coverage area, and you get a photocell that activates in the dark. The sensor picks up movement up to 30-feet away, with an adjustable range to suit your application.
- Weatherproof, durable design
- MB360XT spotlights
- 30-foot detection range
- 20-second auto shut-off
- Covers 600-square feet
- Two lights in a pack
- 1-year service life with eight activations per night
- Not the best choice for driveways
LeonLite LED Security LightsThis high-quality outdoor motion sensor light features a 180-degree detection angle with an adjustable 70-foot detection distance. The LeonLite makes a good choice for residential or commercial use, with a powerful throw for lighting up the driveway or backyard.
You get triple operating modes, with a 20-watt dual light system that’s effective and efficient. This model comes with a 5-year warranty. You get IP65 waterproofing for weather-resistance and 50,000-hour LED service life.
- High-quality design
- Dual spotlight mounts
- 180-degree detection angle
- 70-foot detection distance
- Triple operating modes
- 5-year warranty
- Wired connection only
DrawGreen DG08-A Solar Outdoor Motion Sensor
If you’re looking for a premium model with superior light protection and advanced motion detection, we recommend this model. You get an adjustable detection range of between 10 to 26-feet, allowing you to customize the function of the light to your application.
The DrawGreen features solar charging, with a replaceable lithium-ion battery. You get IC infrared motion detection, with an LED optics-grade lens for a powerful beam. The light produces up to 1,400-lumens, with an aluminum alloy shell for weather resistance.
- High-quality design
- Powerful 9-watt LED
- Optics-grade PMMA lens
- 45-foot to 55-foot throw
- 10 to a 26-foot detection range
- Solar-powered operation and charging foie efficiency
- IP66 weather resistance
- Long charge time
Defiant LED Motion Sensor Security LightThis Defiant model is a great choice for a dual spotlight system. You get a 30-foot detection range with a 150-degree detection angle. The Defiant is a good choice for lighting up driveways and the backyard, it’s also suitable for commercial use around your business premises.
The plastic housing on this model is weatherproof, with an IPX6 rating. You get a powerful throw and wired-in connection.
- Dual spotlights
- Powerful 15-watt LED
- Easy installation
- 120-degree detection range
- Wall mount application only
- Wired-in connection
Other Best Selling Options
- 【Remote Control & 3 Lighting Modes】:Each solar motion sensor light is equipped with wireless remote control.You can choose the most suitable mode faster and more portable: ①Strong light sensor mode ② Dim light sensor mode ③Strong long light mode. Different lighting way for your daily requirement.
- 【Super Bright Solar Motion Sensor Lights】：The solar outdoor lights equipped with 210 super bright LED beads, produce up to 2500lm 6500K high brightness output and good heat dissipation. Perfectly illuminate your courtyard, garage, swimming pool.
- 【Wide Angle Illumination & PIR Motion Inductor】：3 adjustable heads design can move upwards, downwards and horizontally. With innovative wide-angle and intelligent induction control, solar flood light detects up to 270° wide lighting angle and 26 feet sensing distance,which can provide extra brightness and more visible area.
- 【Long Working Time】：This solar powered flood light has a built-in 2000mAh rechargeable battery with the high-efficiency solar panel to ensure that it can be charged at less light day. The solar light will be charged auto in the daytime and start working in darkness. So please install these lights under sunshine for effective battery charging.
- 【IP65 Waterproof & Wireless Design】：This solar lights are made of durable material, IP65 waterproof ensures the outdoor light fixture can function well even in heavy rain, snowstorms.It wireless design are easy to install, no needed with annoying wires or adapters, and no need to buy batteries. Only need to use the included screws to fix on the exterior wall.
- 1.Enhanced PIR Motion Inductor：Hmcity Solar Lights Outdoor bring 3 lighting modes 1.security mode(Motion sensor turns the light on when people comes) 2.Permanent On all night(it turns on at night and stay all night.)3.Smart brightness control(the Light stays all night and turns brighter when it detects motion)
- 2.High Efficient Solar Panel:Adopted monocrystalline silicon solar cells, the conversion rate reaches up to 20.5%. It has 15% electricity more than other products in the same solar light time, Made with high impact ABS lamp body that has high-temperature resistance, anti-corrosion and waterproof too,which ensures longer usage time.
- 3.Wider lighting Angle & Larger Coverage: Equipped with 120 led upgraded high power LEDs & 270° wide lighting angle, solar lights can provide excellent brightness and larger illumination coverage to light up a yard of 30㎡.
- 4.Durable IP65 Waterproof – The hmcity light is made of the IP65 technology that makes it waterproof. Durable, weather-resistant & heatproof plastic construction.
- 5.Quality Guaranteed: 12 Month Warranty for the solar sensor lights.the solar security lights outdoor certified by FCC, CE, ROSH, please contact us If there is any problem.
- ☀【Upgraded Solar Outdoor Lights】Upgraded solar motion lights for outside are here for you. Claoner solar powered motion lights have a 270°illumination angle, which is 200% broader than other solar lights on the market and provides larger illumination coverage. The rechargeable battery can provide a longer lighting time than other similar products. Three kinds of lighting modes for your choice to meet your different needs.
- ☀【Brighter & Larger Coverage Lighting】270°wide-angle illumination and reflector led beads solar wall lights can provide excellent brightness and larger illumination coverage. Enhanced PIR motion inductor provides powerful motion sensitivity up to 12-20 feet with a 120° detect angle. Each lighting time is about 20s and can be extended for another 20s if detected again. Claoner outdoor solar lights provide far brighter lighting and wider illumination range than other similar lights on the market.
- ☀【High Efficiency & Eco-Friendly Solar Security Lights】The outdoor solar lights with rechargeable battery can be continuously illuminated for long periods of time to meet everyday lighting needs and improve the lighting utilization. The solar panel absorbs sunlight during the day to store electricity and light up the outdoors for you at night. By exposure to sunlight for around 10 hours in the daytime, the solar light is able to work for you by motion detecting at night.
- ☀【Easy Installation & IP65 Waterproof】 Our led solar security lights have two installation ways: 1. Install with provided screws; 2. Install with provided double-sided tape. It just takes a little time for you to finish it. The light is made of high-strength ABS material and waterproof design, reaching IP65 waterproof level. Even on all kinds of bad weather throughout the season, the durable solar powered lights can light your garden, yard, garage, driveways, front doors, patio, fence, etc.,
- ☀【3 Optional Lighting Modes】The upgraded 128LED solar powered wall lights have 3 working modes to select: 1. Normally on mode(Stays on at medium light ); 2. From dim light to high light sensor mode(Turn to dim light if no motion is detected for 20s,); 3. From no light to high light sensor mode(Turn off if no motion is detected for 20s). Providing convenience and safety for your life.
Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have an idea of the best outdoor motion sensors in this review, it’s time to narrow down your choice.
We understand that it’s challenging to choose from the models in this review. Finding the right security light for your home requires you to understand your residence or business’s lighting needs and match them to the right lighting system.
In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about picking the right security light for your application.
What Kind of Power Sources Comes with Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights?
When selecting your outdoor motion sensor light, you have the option of going with battery-power, wiring the light into your home’s electricity, or using a solar-powered unit. There are benefits and drawbacks to each of these power supplies.
Battery-Powered Motion Sensor Lights
These models are affordable and easy to setup. The light features an internal battery, and some models offer replaceable batteries using standard battery sizes. Others come with a fixed battery-life, making them a disposable lighting system.
Battery-powered lights are the least effective, offering low power outputs with throws of a few feet. They’re a good choice for lighting up pathways around your home, providing a soft, soothing, and relaxing light.
Wired Motion Sensor Lights
These models feature electrical connections that wire into your home’s electrical system. Most models require the help of a qualified electrician for the installation. These lights operate via an internal switch in the house. After switching on the light, it activates when someone sets off the motion sensor.
Wired lighting systems are a good choice, but they are expensive to install. Since they run off your home’s electrical grid, you’ll need to ensure you have a professional installation. Professional installation ensures you don’t damage your home electrics or injure yourself.
Solar-powered Motion Sensor Lights
If you’re looking for the most economical and environmentally-friendly option for your outdoor lighting system, we recommend you go with a solar-powered model. Solar-powered outdoor motion sensor lights recharge under the sun’s rays.
However, if you live a region of the country that gets long spells of overcast days, it might not be the ideal choice. However, these lights can save you plenty of money in electricity costs over the year. Solar models are efficient, and a great choice for security lights around your home.
Choosing the right power supply for your new outdoor motion sensor lights is essential. Make sure you match the demands of your application with the proper power supply.
If you want to light up your yard’s corners, a wired lighting system is a poor choice and costs you money on the installation. A battery-powered or solar-powered model would be ideal for this application.
What Is the Range of My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
Understanding the motion sensor light range is an important factor when setting up your outdoor motion sensor light. Most models come with predetermined or adjustable depth, allowing you to set up the sensor to your yard’s ideal range.
For example, if you have a 5-foot area between your wall and the neighbor’s fence, you need a sensor covering this area. Using a 15-foot sensor will have the light go off when someone’s walking in your neighbor’s yard. Don’t disturb your neighbors; choose the right range for your outdoor motion sensor light.
When assessing your new security light, we recommend following these guidelines for choosing the right range.
The Depth of the Motion Sensor Range
The sensor’s depth refers to the maximum distance away from the light where the system detects motion. Some models come with fixed depth ranges, while others are adjustable.
If you’re installing one of these lights in your driveway, you want a system with a powerful LED and long light throw, as well as a long detection range. In this case, we recommend looking for models that offer detection up to 70-feet away from the light.
The Range Angle of the Motion Sensor
The range angle of the light refers to the detection angle of the sensor on the lighting system. Most models come with angles between 120-degrees to 150-degrees, depending on the manufacturer. Both ranges are ideal for residences, providing adequate coverage for your home. However, for business use, we recommend going with a wide-angle sensor.
When installing the lighting system around your home, plan strategic points that offer you the best coverage for the system. Choose a model with an angle to suit your application.
The Throw of the Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
The throw of the outdoor motion sensor light refers to the distance the beam travels from the lighting system. Some models have design and function as security lights, featuring long, powerful throws of up to 70-feet. Other models have design and functionality for providing soft lighting to your home.
Choose the model that offers you the best throw to suit your application. Once again, consider the installation points around your home. If you’re setting up a light in a walkway, chances are you’ll do better with softer lighting than a bright security light.
How Do I Install My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
Installing your outdoor motion sensor light can be simple or challenging, depending on the model. Battery-powered and solar-powered security lights make for the easiest and safest installation, with little to no cost. These lights fit using basic hardware like screws, bolts, and plugs. Some models feature adhesive mounting for a tool-free fitment, lowering the effort involved and the costs.
If you purchase a wired-in system, you’re going to need to connect it to your home’s electricity supply. While you’re at it, you’ll probably need to wire in a switch and mount it somewhere on the wall. Sounds like a lot of work, right? If you’re not a handy person, then you’re going to struggle with the installation.
In this case, it’s better to call a professional installation service to get your security light up and running. However, that’s going to add to the costs of the job. Chances are, you’re going to end up spending more on the installation than you did on the light.
With a professional fitment, you get a service guarantee, and if anything goes wrong, they’ll ensure they resolve the problem. It’s worth the extra money to get a wired-in system, provided you have the budget. You get better control over the light, higher efficiency rates, and longer service life for the system.
If you’re looking for the best budget option, we recommend going for the solar-powered model. Not only do most solar models come with easy DIY installation, but they save you plenty of money on electricity costs over its service life.
Some basic tools are all you need to set up the light. Drill a few holes, mount a few fixings, and you’re good to go. If you don’t have any tools, ask a friend for help or buy a model featuring adhesive mounting.
An adhesive mounting system offers the easiest installation. You peel off a strip and stick the unit where you want it. These types of mounting systems are usually for disposable or short-term lights. However, some higher-capacity models offer this mounting.
The drawback is that it’s easy for someone to rip it away from your wall, damaging or stealing it. However, the chances are they won’t even notice it’s an adhesive mount.
How Do I Adjust My Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
Most of the models in this review come with adjustable settings on the range. You can choose detection ranges of up to 70-feet or lower with some models. Most lights feature two or three detection settings, allowing you to customize it to your residence.
If you have a 5-foot walkway, and a mid-sized backyard, you can set up the detection range to suit any distance. Most models don’t feature any adjustment for the detection angle or the throw of the beam.
However, some outdoor motion sensor lights allow you to set a timer for the light’s duration. Some models feature auto-shutoffs, ensuring you conserve energy use. These features are particularly useful in solar and battery setups, where you’re relying on battery life to power the light.
What are the Benefits of Installing an Outdoor Motion Sensor Light?
Speak to any law enforcement agent, and they’ll tell you that homes with poor lighting are an easy target for criminals. If someone’s trying to break into your home or steal something out of your yard at night, they don’t want to do it if there’s a security light beating down on them.
If someone enters your yard, and the light switches on, it will startle them. They might think that you spotted them from inside your home and decide to flee. A security-light is a passive deterrent against intruders on your property.
However, it’s important to point out that not all outdoor motion sensor lights are considered security lights. Some models offer you subtle and gentle lighting to help you enjoy the outdoor experience of your home. A warm-white LED bulb with low wattage can spell a mystic to the areas around your home, such as the porch and front doorway.
With an outdoor motion sensor light, you enhance the visibility of your home at night. Choose the system that suits your needs and the application. We recommend using bright, powerful spotlight models for the driveway and backyard, and lower-power LEDs for use around the front-of-house.
Outdoor Motion Sensor Light FAQs
Why do I need outdoor motion sensor lights for my home or business?
Motion detector lights are a great choice to light up your yard. The primary reason to have lighting in your yard is to deter criminals from breaking into your home. With a motion detector light, criminals have nowhere to hide, and they’ll flee your yard to look for a softer target.
Motion detector lights can also help you out when you arrive home late at night. They light up pathways, ensuring you don’t trip. With a motion detector light, the unit only switches on when something moves in the sensor’s detection range. Therefore, you can save money on electricity by using these lights around your home.
What lightbulbs do I need for my outdoor motion sensor light?
If you’re looking for security lights, we recommend going with a floodlight model. However, some people might want an incandescent light for a softer effect in areas like the front porch and front door. Choose the blub that matches your needs and your motion sensor light.
How much area do outdoor motion sensor lights cover in my yard?
Some models cover more distance than others. The longest detection ranges are around 70-feet, suitable for driveways and backyards. However, in your home areas where your walls are close to the neighbor’s boundary, we recommend going with a shorter range. Look for lights that offer a 5-foot to 15-foot range.
What power supply is best for my outdoor motion sensor light
You get different power sources available for your outdoor motion detector lights. We recommend going for a sustainable power supply that saves you money. A solar-powered option is the best deal, for efficient and effective lighting of your property. If you can’t find a solar model you like, go for a light that offers LED bulbs for efficient lighting.
Will motion detector lights add any value to my home security system?
Yes, a set of outdoor motion detector lights add a new deterrence level to your home security. With an outdoor motion sensor light, criminals will think twice before entering your yard and looking for opportunities to break into your home.
Motion Sensor Lights – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best outdoor motion sensor lights to suit your residence or business premises.
However, we realize that choosing from the models in this review can leave your feeling frustrated. Even with nine models, it’s still challenging to narrow down your choice. If you’re still on the fence with your purchase decision, why not rely on our top picks?
- Baxia Technology BX-SL-101 is a fantastic choice for both businesses and residences. This model features design and construction with a 28-watt powerful LED, providing a 120-degree range of coverage. You get four lights in a pack, making for exceptional value. These lights feature solar-charging, and no-dim functionality for a strong, bright beam. You get a five to 15-foot detection range, making them ideal for home security.
- If you’re a homeowner looking for something classy, the stylish design of the Heath Zenith HZ-4144-BK is a top choice for the best outdoor motion sensor light. This model features design and construction with steel, powder-coated with a polished black finish. The 15-degree detection range provides excellent coverage, and you get optimal lighting from the dual-rite technology.
- The Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WH is our top choice for the best budget home security light in this review. This model features fittings for two powerful floodlights, with a 15-degree detection and lighting area. You get a 70-foot detection range with this model, making one of the most powerful in this review.