With the summer coming up, you’re going to be spending more time outside in the backyard. Invite friends and family around for a barbecue in the afternoon. Enjoy the warm weather while the kids splash around in the pool. That’s what summer vibes are all about this year.
Chilling outdoors on the patio is a great way to spend your afternoon. However, you’ll need something for you and your guests to sit outside. Garden benches provide ample seating for two, three, or even four people to relax and chat while you enjoy the events of your cookout with the people you care about around you.
Outdoor benches come in various styles, shapes, and sizes to accommodate as many guests as you need. We spent some time going through the dozens of patio benches available online. We picked out our top models for this review to save you some time and effort of doing the research yourself.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Benches Reviews
- 2.1 Keter Eden 70-Gallon Storage Bench – The Best Overall Patio Bench
- 2.2 Modway Shore Aluminum Outdoor Patio Bench – The Best Premium Patio Bench
- 2.3 Lifetime Portable Folding Bench – The Best Budget Patio Bench
- 2.4 Rockingrocker Black Outdoor Wood Garden Bench
- 2.5 Keter Corfu Love Seat
- 2.6 Vifah Atlantic 5-Foot Garden Bench
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Outdoor Bench Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 Usage and Function – How will you use your patio bench?
- 4.2 Location and Design – What does your outdoor area look like?
- 4.3 Flow and Dimensions
- 4.4 Environmental Elements – What’s the weather like in your area?
- 4.5 Choose Quality Materials
- 4.6 Maintaining Your Patio Bench
- 4.7 Find a Balance of Comfort and Style
- 4.8 Work with Your Budget
- 5 Outdoor Benches FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
If you don’t have the time to sit around and read through the pros and cons of all the benches in this review, then let’s skip to the good part. Out of the dozens of models we looked at for this review, we came up with these three options to suit any style patio or budget.
Best Pick: Keter Eden 70-Gallon Storage Bench
- IDEAL SIZE: Exterior: 54. 6 in. L x 23. 4 in. W x 32. 8 in. H / Interior: 50. 4 in. L x 19. 7 in. W x 15 in. H
- LARGE CAPACITY: 70 gallons of extra hidden storage underneath the seat
- RESIN CONSTRUCTION: It's made out of all weather-resistant resin with an appealing wood-look texture
- DURABLE AND STRONG: Weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling and denting - unlike real wood
- EXTRA SEATING: Provides comfortable bench seating for two or three with a weight capacity of 771 lbs
This patio bench has a classic look. It provides comfortable seating with an attractive resin finish that’s sturdy and durable. Under the seat of this bench, you have storage for pool equipment and children’s toys. This bench is an excellent choice for outdoor use; it’s weatherproof and available in a few different colors.
Premium Pick: Modway Shore Aluminum Outdoor Patio Bench
- PATIO REFRESH - Update your backyard or porch with inviting modern patio furniture. Effortlessly accommodate the needs of your guests while creating the perfect outdoor patio dining setting
- WEATHER-RESISTANT - With a modern design, this outdoor patio bench features plastic wood slats and a durable powder-coated aluminum frame that's water and UV resistant for years of outdoor use
- CONTEMPORARY STYLE - Renewing decks, backyards and poolsides, the Shore collection boasts clean lines and a sleek profile. Wood grain plastic paneling creates the perfect seat for relaxing comfort
- OUTDOOR DINING - Enjoy dinner under the stars or a sunny lunch on the patio with this outdoor bench. Sit comfortably supported while dining, reading, or conversing on this stylish outdoor bench
- BENCH MEASUREMENTS - Perfect for the patio, backyard, or poolside, the Shore Collection is great for entertaining or quiet relaxation. Dimensions: 67"L x 15.5"W x 18"H; Weight Capacity: 331 Lbs.
Homeowners looking for the best contemporary outdoor furniture available will love this patio bench. The Modway Shore aluminum model is chic and classy, with clean lines and an attractive brushed finish. If you want to seat your guests in style, then this bench is a top choice.
Budget Pick: Lifetime Portable Folding Bench
- Uv-protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Designed with safety locking mechanism
- Folds in half for easy transport and storage
- Superior strength and durability
- Indoor / outdoor use
If you’re looking for a patio bench on a budget, then the Lifetime portable folding bench is your best option. If you have guests coming over, and you don’t have enough seating, pull out this bench to give you guests somewhere to relax. This model is lightweight and folds away for compact storage. Bring it out on Thanksgiving when you have the extended family over for dinner.
Outdoor Benches Reviews
Now you have an idea of the best benches in our review. Let’s unpack these models I further detail and examine why they belong on your patio. We’ll also look at a few other benches we think are worthy of mention in this review.
Keter Eden 70-Gallon Storage Bench – The Best Overall Patio BenchThis patio bench features design and construction with durable molded resin. The molded look gives the bench a faux wooden appearance, making it an attractive choice for Tuscan or modern homes.
This bench is a great choice for the patio, by the pool, or on the porch. Under the seat, you’ll find a locking 70-gallon storage space. This bench is weatherproof and has a watertight-seal for the storage compartment.
Store your kid’s toys or pool maintenance equipment out of sight in the storage compartment. The only drawback of this bench is it’s a somewhat immovable structure. When you pack the storage bin to capacity, don’t think you’re going to move this bench around your yard.
- Attractive classic design
- Weatherproof resin construction
- Suitable for poolside
- Large locking storage space under the seat
- Seat two to three people
- Hard to move around, especially with full storage
Modway Shore Aluminum Outdoor Patio Bench – The Best Premium Patio Bench
Homeowners looking for a stylish bench to suit their contemporary décor will love the Modway. This patio bench features a brushed aluminum frame with rattan seating boards. The powder-coated frame features a durable weather-resistant coating that ensures your bench never rusts, even in hot and humid environments.
The Modway is a stylish choice, and it’s an excellent bench for seating guests around a dining table. The lower seating height is ideal for eating, and the backless design makes it the perfect choice for a table bench. The price tag might be higher for this model. However, the quality design and premium materials on this bench make it worth the few extra dollars to impress your guests.
- Modern clean, look and feel
- Wooden seating bench
- Brushed aluminum finish
- Non-scratch feet
- Weather resistant
- Contemporary style
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- No backrest
Lifetime Portable Folding Bench – The Best Budget Patio BenchThe Lifetime bench is a great choice for a portable or temporary bench. Use it to accommodate extra guests at your BBQ or take it to a friend’s house for a seat around the table. This lightweight bench folds in half, allowing for compact storage and convenient portability.
You get an affordable and durable patio bench. Take it with you camping and set it up anywhere you want. The bench folds into a carry case, with a locking device and handle for easy carrying.
Suitable for indoor or outdoor use, this model is the ideal temporary seating solution for hosting outdoor events at your home.
- Easy to fold for compact storage
- Affordable and easy to setup
- A good choice for temporary seating
- Portable and lightweight
- Low seating position
- No backrest
Rockingrocker Black Outdoor Wood Garden Bench
The classy look and high-quality finish on the Rockingrocker patio bench are stunning. This model features an elegant design with a minimalist hardwood frame. Available in three colors, this model suits any décor, and it looks good in both classic and contemporary homes.
This bench is more for relaxing than eating, with a slanted backrest and ergonomic armrests. The sturdy frame supports up to 500-lbs, with no-scratch feet that won’t ruin your floors.
The bench features a polyurethane finish over the wood. As a result, you get a weatherproof finish that lasts for years. This model was a solid contender for the title of the best premium model in this review.
- Premium design and finish
- Appealing wooden construction
- Good seating height
- Angles backrest for additional comfort
- Polyurethane coating for weather resistance
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Comes in three colors
- Premium Price
Keter Corfu Love SeatThis love seat is ideal for couples that want to chill out on their balcony and enjoy a sunset with a glass of wine.
This resin-wicker love seat features design and manufacture with premium materials and includes two comfortable cushions. The polypropylene frame prevents unraveling and fraying, unlike genuine rattan and wicker models.
The weatherproof cushions are washable, and mold-resistant, making them a good choice for humid environments like beachside apartments.
The sturdy frame design with a slanted backrest and wide armrests makers this comfy model all about relaxation. Featuring easy assembly and
- Attractive design with resin wicker construction
- Weather resistant coating for durability
- Comes with a set of weatherproof cushions
- Easy to assemble
- Comfortable backrest and wide armrests
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Leaned-back seating position more for relaxing than eating
Vifah Atlantic 5-Foot Garden BenchThe Vifah is another premium choice for a patio bench. This model features design and construction with durable acacia hardwood. This model is a great choice for the patio, poolside, or under the shade of your favorite tree in the garden.
Featuring a mold-resistant and pest-resistant coating that weatherproofs the bench, the Vifah has a hand-scraped finish and look. With quick-and-easy assembly, you’ll have your patio bench ready for relaxation in minutes.
This model suits contemporary and Tuscan homes, and it comes in two different colors. There are grey and natural hardwood colors to match the décor on your patio.
- Classic design with acacia hardwood
- Available in grey and natural wood options
- A great choice for the patio, poolside, or in the garden
- Mold and termite resistant
- Weather resistant coating for added durability
- Heavy compared to other benches in this review
Other Best Selling Options
- Includes: (1) Bench
- Material: Acacia wood. Frame material: Iron
- Finish: Sandblast. Frame finish: Rustic metal
- Some assembly required
- Dimensions: 14. 75 inches deep x 63. 00 inches wide x 17. 50 inches high
- 【The Safe Bench】The Garden Bench's edges are all finished --- no raw cuts or drips to catch on clothing.The Metal Bench can give you the safe relax.The Park Bench is safe for you and safe for your cloth.Park Bench Metal Bench outdoor benches clearance Garden Bench Patio Bench Yard Bench
- 【Perfect for Outdoors】You can put the Garden Bench near your entrance to your driveway, will be adding a Little Free Library next to it soon.You can read books on the Metal Bench .Also you can put the Park Bench in your garden.Metal Bench outdoor benches clearance Garden Bench Patio Bench Yard Bench Park Bench
- 【Sturdy and Rust-Resistant】The Garden Bench is powder coated with rust-resistant finish, super smooth. The Park Bench is made of reinforced steel to ensure sturdiness and stability, durable and the Metal Bench perfect for use for years.outdoor benches clearance Garden Bench Patio Bench Yard Bench Park Bench Metal Bench
- 【Perfect Design】The lively and exquisite vines embellishments of the Garden Bench are distributed on backrest and make whole Metal Bench look beautiful. Not only does the Yard Bench offer comfortable sitting experience but also serve as a good decorative ornament.Garden Bench Patio Bench Yard Bench Park Bench Metal Bench outdoor benches clearance
- 【Easy to Assemble the Metal Bench】 Specific manual and complete accessories of the Garden Bench greatly help you spend short time to finish the assembly work. All parts of the Park Bench are given a number and detailed assembly steps are listed for your reference.Patio Bench Yard Bench Park Bench Metal Bench outdoor benches clearance Garden Bench
- Lumber not included with each kit
- Brackets made of heavy gauge structural resin
- Includes 2 bench end supports, hardware, and assembly instructions
- Build your own bench, loveseat, or chair of any size up to 6 ft
- Includes integrated beverage holders
Outdoor Bench Buyer’s Guide
If you live in an area of the United States with good weather all year round or pleasant summers, the chances are you spend most of your time outdoors, especially on the weekends. If you have a beautiful shaded outdoor area for relaxing and entertaining guests, why not make use of it this summer?
Your patio area doesn’t always have to have a table and single chairs. Putting out a few benches is a great way to provide comfortable seating for guests In this section, we’ll give you everything you need to know about choosing the right patio bench for your home outdoor entertainment area.
Usage and Function – How will you use your patio bench?
How you intend to use your patio bench determines a lot about the best model to suit your needs. Do you want to host cookouts and sit around a large table with family and friends? Maybe you want to relax with your partner on the patio after a hard day at work? Both scenarios have vastly different needs.
Purpose-built patio benches allow you to select a bench that’s ideal for your entertainment needs. If you want a bench to put around a table for people to sit while they eat, choose a low-level seating arrangement. There’s no need for a backrest when you have a table, as the table provides room for guests to rest their elbows.
Patio benches with deep, slanted seats are more for lounging, enjoying a cocktail or two as the sun goes down. Trying to eat at a table from one of these chairs will leave you trying to lean too far forward, making things uncomfortable.
Look for models with waterproof cushions and storage space for pool toys or maintenance equipment if you want a poolside bench. Select the patio bench that meets your needs, with functionality that matches your lifestyle and your entertainment requirements.
Location and Design – What does your outdoor area look like?
The type of outdoor space you have plays a significant role in selecting the right furniture for your patio. If you have a rustic-style patio with a thatch Lapa, introducing aluminum is going to look silly. It would help if you had a natural wood bench in this case.
The same goes for contemporary homes that try to add a wooden bench to the patio décor. This mistake ends up looking terrible, creating an eyesore in your home. Match your patio bench to the surrounding décor and style of your outdoor area.
Benches don’t always need to go in patio areas. You can leave them under a shady tree in the garden or next to the pool. Whatever function you choose, make sure you select a look and feel for your patio bench that matches the application and its surroundings.
Flow and Dimensions
When buying your patio bench, you need to take the dimensions into account. If you’re purchasing a bench for your balcony patio in your studio apartment, you’re going to need to account for every square inch of the bench to make it fit without cluttering your balcony.
If your outdoor patio at home has enough space, then plan your bench to accommodate the right amount of room in the area. Small benches will look as out of place as large benches on small patios. The design of the bench should also flow with the décor in your outdoor area.
Environmental Elements – What’s the weather like in your area?
Make sure that you select a patio bench that suits the environment where you live. If you have an open patio, you’ll need a weatherproof bench to endure the environmental conditions. In this case, resin molded benches work well, providing years of durable use. You’ll need to treat the wood if you want to leave it outdoors.
When selecting the best patio benches for your home, ask yourself the following questions to narrow down your qualifying criteria.
- How hot does the environment get in the summer? Do you leave your bench in direct sunlight?
- What about winter? Does it snow in your area? Do you have a covered patio?
- Is the patio exposed to rain and wind? How long is the rainy season in your area?
All these questions play a significant role in selecting the right patio bench for your home. Select a model that stands up to the environmental requirements and the style and décor of your home.
Choose Quality Materials
When selecting your ideal patio bench, the location and weather are important factors to consider. Wooden patio benches are a great choice for an attractive design that’s both weatherproof and aesthetically pleasing.
However, wood models tend to cost more, and you might have to maintain them after three to five years when the protective coating wears away from the wood.
Plastic or resin-molded patio benches provide a look that’s like wood, and you might mistake it for timber at a distance. However, these patio benches have an exceptionally durable design and construction. They last for years, even in the direct sunlight.
Aluminum is an excellent choice for contemporary homes, but it can look out of place in more rustic settings, so choose your materials wisely.
Maintaining Your Patio Bench
As far as maintaining your patio bench, there’s not much you have to do. Wiping them down from time to time helps to keep the bench looking its best. If you go with a wooden model, most of them come with a protective coating.
This coating will eventually wear, and you’ll need to treat the bench with a varnish or sealer to ensure that the wood has protection from the environment.
If you get cushions with your patio bench, you’ll need to maintain them to prevent mold growth, especially in humid environments. Wipe them down every week and remove any signs of black mold spores or dirt accumulated during the week.
If you do notice mold starting to grow in the fabric of your cushions, then it’s time to pull them off and wash them in the machine. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to your laundry detergent to kill the mold spores and leave your cushions looking like new.
Find a Balance of Comfort and Style
When searching for your ideal patio bench, you must look for a balance of functionality, style, and comfort. It’s no good buying a good-looking bench that has no use. For instance, if you need a bench for eating a meal at the table, then purchase one that’s suitable for lounging will leave you feeling like you bought the wrong design – and you did.
Make sure that you check for the right balance of functionality and style. If you only need a bench, then finding a model with cushions might not be necessary. However, if you want to lounge out with your partner, you’re going to need a backrest and some cushions.
Work with Your Budget
There are plenty of models in this review, all at different price points. Your new patio bench will cost you anywhere from less than $50 to more than $200, depending on the model you select.
Wooden and aluminum benches tend to be the most expensive options, but they offer the best look, and they provide a long-lasting bench that looks great on your patio.
If you’re looking for an affordable option, try resin-molded benches, or plastic materials. If you’re looking for a spare bench for family occasions or cookouts with friends, a compact folding plastic bench is the way to go.
Outdoor Benches FAQ
What kind of patio bench suits your yard? Read through these frequently asked questions if you need a bit more information on choosing the best patio benches.
What is the best material suitable for use in patio benches?
It depends on your environmental conditions. Overall, aluminum offers the best choice, and it looks good in contemporary patio furniture. Wicker and resin are popular choices for weatherproof patio benches suitable for exposure to the elements.
How long will my new patio bench last?
This answer also depends on the weather conditions in your area. Hot, humid environments by the ocean are likely to wear out your patio furniture than dry regions of the United States. Most patio benches will last you between 5 to 15-years, depending on how you care for them.
Can I leave my patio furniture out in the rain?
Some patio benches feature weatherproof design, allowing you to leave them outside in lousy weather. We recommend you always take your cushions inside, but some models feature weatherproof cushions as well.
How much will a new patio bench cost?
There is a patio bench for anyone’s needs and budget. From portable models costing less than $50 to natural wood models costing a few hundred dollars.
By now, you should have an idea of the best patio benches to suit your yard. Look for a model that suits your needs based on what we went over in the buyer’s guide section. If you’re still struggling to make a decision, why not settle on one of our top choices?
The Keter Eden storage bench is an excellent choice for any yard, porch, or poolside venue. It’s attractive and durable resin design is weatherproof and lasts for years. You get additional storage and comfy all-weather cushions for the perfect patio bench.
If you’re looking for something chic on the premium side, go with the Modway Shore aluminum outdoor patio bench. This model is elegant and stylish, bringing together elements of aluminum and wood to create a contemporary finish that looks great in any modern home.
The Lifetime Portable folding bench is the best choice for a budget bench. This compact model folds away for easy storage. Bring it out when your guests come out, and you need a few extra seats.