Spending time out on the patio during good weather is a great way to enjoy the yard and the local environment. Your patio offers you a place to relax and an entertainment area for guests. Check out the birds as they chirp to each other and build a springtime nest, or enjoy some conversation and cocktails with close friends on a lazy summer afternoon.
A patio is a great place to spend time, but it’s hard sitting outside when the afternoon sun is beating down on you. No-one wants to spend some time on the patio if they’re going to get a sunburn. Fitting a patio umbrella to your outdoor setup is a great way to provide you with protection from the sun’s UV rays.
A patio umbrella keeps the sun out of your face, and it also helps keep things dry when it rains. There’s no need to rush for cover indoors if a light summer shower descends on your patio. Your new patio umbrella is the finishing touch you need for your outdoor area.
In this review, we’ll look at the best patio umbrellas for your yard. We’ll make recommendations on top models and give you everything you need to know about picking the right umbrella for your patio.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Patio Umbrella Reviews
- 2.1 Best Choice Products 10’ Solar-Powered LED Lighted Patio Umbrella
- 2.2 FDW 10′ Offset Hanging Patio Umbrella
- 2.3 ABCCANOPY 9’ Outdoor Umbrella
- 2.4 Grand Patio 9’ Patio Umbrella
- 2.5 Formosa Covers 10’ Replacement Canopy
- 2.6 Patio Umbrella Mosquito Nets
- 2.7 MASTERCANOPY 7.5’ Patio Umbrella Replacement Canopy
- 2.8 Wondershade Ultimate Portable Sun Shade Umbrella
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Patio Umbrella Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 Styles of Patio Umbrella
- 4.2 Best Pole and Frame Materials for My Patio Umbrella
- 4.3 What Size Canopy Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella?
- 4.4 Shade Area / Umbrella Canopy
- 4.5 Patio Umbrella Canopy Shapes
- 4.6 What Kind of Fabric Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella Canopy?
- 4.7 What Kind of Base Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella?
- 4.8 What are Additional Features to Look for In My Patio Umbrella?
- 5 Patio Umbrella FAQs
- 6 Patio Umbrellas – The Verdict
We reviewed dozens of listings to settle on the top models in this list. From our selection, we choose these three models as our top picks. We have something to suit any size patio and any budget.
Best Pick: Best Choice Products Patio Umbrella
- 24 SOLAR-POWERED LIGHTS: Use it day or night, with 24 built-in solar powered LED lights that can run for 6-7 hours
- HIGH-DURABILITY FABRIC: Made with high-quality water- and fade-resistant fabric to last for years of enjoyment
- ADJUST YOUR SHADE: Stay cool at all times, as the easy push-button tilt system gives coverage no matter what time of day, while a wind vent cools air under the umbrella
- CONVENIENT CRANK HANDLE: Easy open/close system puts the umbrella up in just seconds with minimal effort
- QUICK SETUP: Detachable pole contributes to easy setup and storage (Note: Umbrella base not included); Pairing Suggestion: SKY5897 ; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 120"(Dia) x 96"(H)
This patio umbrella wins our award for the best overall patio umbrella in this review. We chose this model for its versatility, portability, and compact design. Set it up on the deck or patio, or take it with you to the park for a cookout. The canopy features UV-resistant, waterproof materials and an intelligent design that allows wind to move under the umbrella without causing it to lift off. The outstanding feature of this patio umbrella is the built-in lighting. You get LEDs mounted into the canopy, with a solar panel providing the power.
Premium Pick: FDW 10′ Offset Hanging Patio Umbrella
- 【Sturdy & Durable Offset Umbrella】The Patio Umbrella built with a 2" diameter powder coated steel pole against rust, corrosion, chipping and peeling. 8 steel ribs on the top of the Cantilever Umbrella to keep it’s shape.Offset Umbrella Market Umbrella Deck Umbrella Patio Umbrella Cantilever Umbrella
- 【Waterproof & UV Protetion】The Patio Umbrella must be CLOSED in strong wind to make sure the Cantilever Umbrella is safe when you use it next time.the Offset Umbrella is made of 180g polyester fabric, fade resistant and UV-resistant.Market Umbrella Deck Umbrella Patio Umbrella Cantilever Umbrella Offset Umbrella
- 【With base for stability】The Patio Umbrella with a heavy duty steel cross base for stability, please note that you'd better use heavy base like sand bag or fix the base of the Cantilever Umbrella on the ground.Make your Offset Umbrella more stability.Deck Umbrella Patio Umbrella Cantilever Umbrella Offset Umbrella Market Umbrella
- 【Easy to Open and Close the Offset Umbrella】Opening and closing the patio umbrella is easy and takes no time without the need to use any force or needing to lift any heavy weight to the cantilever umbrella.Patio Umbrella Cantilever Umbrella Offset Umbrella Market Umbrella Deck Umbrella
- 【More shade for You】10 feet diameter offset hanging patio umbrella provides more shade for your outdoor settings than market table Patio umbrella. The Cantilever Umbrella is ideal for both residential and commercial locations.Cantilever Umbrella Offset Umbrella Market Umbrella Deck Umbrella Patio Umbrella
The FDW 10-foot patio umbrella is our top choice for the best premium patio umbrella in this review. You get a sturdy steel frame with a predrilled base for permanent installation. The powder-coated frame is rust-resistant, and you get a 10-foot canopy included. This model features an easy crank-assisted opening and closing action, with 300-D polyester materials for the canopy, providing a waterproof and fade-resistant finish. The auto-tilting head turns 45-degrees for a custom setup that blocks out 98% of the sun’s harmful UV rays. This model comes in three attractive colors.
Budget Pick: ABCCANOPY 9′ Outdoor Umbrella
- Fits 9ft 8 ribs umbrella frame. EACH rib must measure 52" to 54"
- 500 Denier / 200g UV Protective polyester fabric
- Reenforced stress points where umbrella poles meet canopy
- Replacement Umbrella Canopy ONLY (umbrella ribs, pole and top finial are not included)
- 24-hour customer service. If you have any questions please contact us by email.
Homeowners looking for the best replacement canopy for their patio umbrella get the best value from this ABCCANOPY. This model comes in sizes for 7.5-foot, 9-foot, and 10-foot umbrella frames. You get design and construction with durable 500-Denier polyester materials, with a waterproof and UV-resistant finish. This canopy features a vented design and reinforced stitching on the rib pockets and trim. The canopy comes in a range of 15 vibrant colors to suit your patio design. This canopy makes an affordable, high-quality replacement for your old, worn patio umbrella.
Patio Umbrella Reviews
After reading through the top models in this review, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at some other patio umbrellas, canopies, and netting to help you choose the right setup for your patio.
After reading through the reviews, check out our buyer’s guide. We’ll give you some tips for purchasing the best patio umbrella for your yard.
Best Choice Products 10’ Solar-Powered LED Lighted Patio Umbrella
Bring light to your patio with this fantastic patio umbrella from Best Choice Products. This model is s complete umbrella with a center-pole design for fitment into your patio table. The straight pole comes with tilting action up to 45-degrees to adjust the angle of the umbrella to the sun.
The push-button operation allows you to choose your preferred angle in seconds. You get a powder-coated steel frame for durability and corrosion resistance against the elements. This model also includes a winch for easy opening and closing of the umbrella. The canopy comes with an eight rib design and deep pockets for secure fitment.
The outstanding feature of this patio umbrella is the built-in lighting. You get LEDs mounted into the canopy, with a solar panel providing the power. The LEDs provide soft and subtle lighting, and you never have to worry about changing batteries thanks to the solar-powered operation.
The canopy features design and construction with durable polyester materials with fade-resistance and up to 98% filtering of the sun’s harmful UV rays. The canopy measures 10-feet in width, allowing for coverage on mid-sized to larger patios. You get your choice of 13 different colors for the canopy, with a treated material for waterproof protection.
- Durable 300-Denier polyester materials.
- Treated for waterproofing and mold resistance.
- Durable powder-coated steel pole.
- 45-degree push-button tilting.
- Crank-assisted opening and closing.
- 24-LEDs to light up your patio.
- Easy setup.
FDW 10′ Offset Hanging Patio Umbrella
The FDW 10-foot patio umbrella is our top choice for the best premium model in this review. This patio umbrella comes with a 10-foot shade suitable for mid-sized to larger patios. You get a cantilever design, providing easy adjustment of the canopy height and reach for any patio design.
The FDW cantilever patio umbrella features a durable 180g polyester fabric design, with a UV-resistant coating that ensures the color never fades in the material. This model includes a 2-inch powder-coated center pole for strength and durability. The pole never rusts or corrodes, and it resists chipping and peeling. Opening and closing this umbrella is simple, thanks to the offset design that makes setup a breeze. Use the winding lever to open your umbrella without any effort.
We like the included cross base to stop the umbrella from blowing away in the wind. However, there are no weights included in your package. However, the cross-base does come with pre-drilled holes allowing you to anchor the umbrella to your patio permanently. The easy adjustment of the shade range will increase the height to get a broader shade coverage on your patio.
The tilting design of the umbrella ensures you always have optimal shade coverage for your patio. This model is expensive, but it’s the best premium deal in this review, and it comes in three colors to suit your patio décor.
- 300-Denier, 180g polyester fabric.
- Treated canopy for waterproofing and mold resistance.
- UV-resistant and won’t fade in the sun.
- Steel frame with a powder-coated finish for corrosion resistance.
- Easy winch system for opening and closing.
- Fully adjustable tilting head.
- Vented design for wind resistance and heat dissipation.
- Predrilled base for permanent installation.
- Easy assembly.
ABCCANOPY 9’ Outdoor Umbrella
Some homeowners might already have a patio umbrella, but they need a replacement canopy. When choosing your canopy, you want an upgrade over the old model and something that lasts for years.
With the ABCCANOPY, you get the best choice for replacing your umbrella canopy this year. This model comes in a 9-foot design, which is the most popular choice for patio umbrellas. With this model, you get a choice of 15 different colors to match your patio decor. This canopy won’t fade and tear like your last one.
This model features design and construction with 500-Denier polyester materials, making it durable, scuff, and scratch-resistant. The treated polyester fabric ensures you get waterproof protection, and no mold grows on your umbrella. This umbrella canopy comes with an eight-rib design, suitable for ribs up to 54” in length. The bib pockets are deep, and your umbrella won’t blow off in the wind.
The canopy protects you from up to 98% of the sun’s harmful UV rays, ensuring that you get optimal protection on your patio. This model is easy to fit into your existing patio umbrella frame, with setup in a few minutes. The best part about this umbrella canopy is the price; you get affordable protection for your family for less than $20.
- Available in 15 vibrant colors.
- Available in three sizes; 7.5-foot, 9-foot, 10-foot.
- Fits ribs up to 54” in length.
- Reinforced stitching.
- Deep rib pockets and vented design for a secure fit.
- 500-Denier, 200g polyester fabrics.
- Waterproof and UV-resistant never fades.
Grand Patio 9’ Patio Umbrella
The Grand Patio 9-foot umbrella is a fantastic choice for a mid-sized patio. This model comes with sturdy steel, powder-coated pole. The coating protects the frame from rust and corrosion while providing an attractive finish. This model comes with a straight pole design and a tilting head. Choose your umbrella angle up to 45-degrees for custom protection from the sun.
The umbrella also features a smooth crank lifting system, giving you an easy opening and closing mechanism. The sturdy steel frame features a powder-coated finish for excellent corrosion resistance. This model comes with a 100% 180g polyester canopy, with a waterproof coating and resistance against fading under the sun’s UV rays.
The durable canopy material is heavy-duty and resistant to scuffing and tearing. When you fold your umbrella away, use the Velcro straps to keep the umbrella in place. With this patio umbrella, you get protection against 98% of the sun’s rays, with air vents included allowing hot air to escape and prevent it from building up under the canopy.
The vented design also helps the wind move freely under the umbrella, preventing the wind from blowing it away. This model also includes a free umbrella cover with your purchase. There’s no weighted base included with this patio umbrella.
- 300-Denier 180g polyester fabric canopy.
- PU coated fabric for waterproofing and UV resistance.
- Air-vent for heat dissipation and wind flow-thru.
- One push-button tilt adjustment.
- Assisted crank for opening and closing.
- Auto-tilt function.
- Velcro straps for secure closing.
Formosa Covers 10’ Replacement Canopy
This Formosa patio umbrella canopy is another excellent choice for homeowners looking to replace their existing patio umbrella system. This model includes design and construction with durable, sturdy, 300-Denier polyester materials. As a result, you get a scuff and tear-resistant canopy for your umbrella.
This model also features a coating that repels water while blocking the sun’s harmful UV rays. You get protection from 98% of the sun’s harmful rays, and the material on the canopy is fade-resistant. The material is also fray-resistant, and This canopy is suitable for cantilever umbrellas, so make sure you have the right umbrella stand.
You get a choice of three colors for your canopy to match your patio décor. This model comes with eight ribs and deep pockets to ensure the canopy doesn’t come loose and blow away in the wind. This model gives you 10-feet of coverage, which is suitable for mid to large-sized patios.
The top of the canopy comes with a vented design, allowing for the movement of warm air away from under the canopy, keeping you cool on hot days. This canopy cover suit umbrellas with rib lengths up to 60″; make sure you choose the correct size and style of umbrella for this canopy. You get easy installation and an affordable price tag.
- 300-Denier polyester 180g fabric
- Waterproof and mold-resistant.
- Non-fray material with a double-stitched finish.
- Deep pockets suit limbs up to 60” in length.
- 8-rib design.
- Available in three colors to suit your patio décor.
Patio Umbrella Mosquito Nets
Are you tired of those pesky mosquitos biting your ankles while you try to enjoy a peaceful evening on the patio? Having to scratch your legs every 5-minutes isn’t how you expected the evening to unfold. If you live in an area where bugs are abundant, think about getting this handy mosquito net cover for your patio umbrella.
The netting attaches to the brim of your umbrella, forming a solid curtain around the umbrella brim. This model is suitable for 8-foot to 10-foot umbrellas, and you get easy fitment to any umbrella, from cantilever to straight designs.
The netting features design and construction with durable polyester fiber. The top of the mesh comes with an adjustable pull rope to customize your fit. The fine weave on the net protects you against mosquitos, and the drop mat on the floor ensures none of the pesky critters end up finding their way under your net.
The rim of the net comes with a PVC water pipe. Fill the tube, and it lays on the ground, preventing the wind from lifting the net. The net also comes with zippers on either side, allowing for easy access to the enclosure and quick sealing to prevent mosquitos from getting in with you.
- Suitable for all umbrella types.
- Durable mesh.
- Dual entry zippers.
- Rip-cord top for easy fitment.
- 100% polyester fiber construction.
- Keeps away mosquitos.
MASTERCANOPY 7.5’ Patio Umbrella Replacement Canopy
This canopy comes in your choice of 20-vibrant colors to suit your patio décor. The canopy features design and construction with durable 180g 500-Denier polyester fabric. The fabric receives a coating, providing excellent water resistance and resistance against fading in the sun.
This model also features a vented design, allowing the hot air to escape through the top of the canopy. The vented design also prevents the wind from lifting the canopy and blowing it away. This model comes in replacement options for 7.5-foot, 9-foot, and 10-foot umbrellas. Make sure you choose the right size to suit your umbrella before checking out. The canopy also comes with excellent stitching, providing a long service life.
You get deep rib pockets, suiting ribs up to 60” in length. The reinforced pockets won’t tear, and you get easy installation in minutes. This model comes in three sizes to let you choose the right model to suit your umbrella.
There are options to cover both small and large patios. This MASTERCANPY model is the ideal choice for homeowners on a budget. If you’re looking for a tough and durable replacement for your umbrella, this canopy is a fantastic choice.
- 500-Denier polyester material
- Waterproof and mold-resistant.
- Three models 7.5-foot, 9-foot, 10-foot.
- Reinforced stitching and deep rib pockets.
- Air-vented for cooling and wind resistance.
- Available in 20 vibrant colors.
Wondershade Ultimate Portable Sun Shade Umbrella
This model features a hybrid format, allowing you to set it up on the patio or remove the umbrella from the stand and take it with you to the beach. This portable sunshade blocks up to 98% of the sun’s harmful UV rays, protecting you and your family. This model includes a built-in base collar, as well as a telescoping tripod with adjustment from 3-feet to 8-feet in height. The canopy also features a tilting action for easy adjustment to the sun’s position.
The shade comes in several colors, featuring design and construction with durable, fade-resistant taffeta nylon. This model is easy to set up and take down in minutes, and it comes with a convenient carry bag for easy transport. The sturdy steel base features a strong pole and convenient cup holders. The umbrella pole also comes with hooks for holding your towels and clothing or hanging a wireless speaker.
This umbrella canopy features an intelligent design, with side flaps to prevent gusts from lifting the umbrella. This model is our top choice in this review. It’s the ideal umbrella for small patios, and the compact portability makes it easy to take with you on vacation or for a day in the park.
- Portable design with easy setup.
- Durable UV-block fabric.
- 45-degree tilting head.
- Steel tripod base with a removable umbrella.
- Cupholders and towel hangers come included in the frame.
- 5-foot width, suitable for two people.
- Available in many colors.
Other Best Selling Options
- 100% POLYESTER FABRIC -- Blissun patio umbrella is made of 100% polyester, waterproof and UV resistant, long lasting, easy to clean.
- STURDY ALUMINUM POLE -- Aluminum poles and 8 aluminum ribs for easy and compact storage, in prevention of rust and lighter than the steel pole, easy for operation. With air vented at the top, cool and can withstand sudden gust.
- CRANK MECHANISM -- This market umbrella is designed with crank open system for easy and quick use. Push button tilt for more angles of shading, keep the sun at your back.
- SUN PROTECTION -- This outdoor umbrella with 9 ft. diameter shade your 42"- 54" round, square or rectangle table with 4 to 6 chairs, Ideal for both residential and commercial locations.
- MODERN & WIDELY APPLICABLE -- Blissun 9 feet patio umbrella with elegant design, is a perfect and essential for summer or sunny days to shade sunshine, apply to the yard, beach, square, garden and patio shops like cafe, restaurant, swimming pool.
- [Energy-Efficient Lighting] 4 LED lights on each rib, 8 steel rib construction, solar-powered 32 LEDs provide energy-efficient lighting, help to light up relaxing night and create warm atmosphere. Overall Dimensions: 108"(Dia) x 98.4"(H); Dia.1.50 inch (38 mm) Pole for stronger support and durable Push Button Connector (NOTE: Umbrella BASE NOT Included)
- [Easy Tilt Operation] On and off switch for umbrella solar light, easy tilt operation with push button for more angles with hand-crank lift, easy set-up and take-down so you can relax within seconds.
- [Tilts to Get Shade] Breathable fabric that avoid harmful UV rays and guards against water, long lasting. Provide a perfect shade for your patio, garden, deck, backyard, pool.
- [Multi places available] 9 feet diameter LED lighted patio umbrella add a festive mood to any occasion. Great for entertaining, picnics, BBQ¡¯s, garden parties, beach, camping, or relaxing in the shade. NOTE: Solar power panel needs be charged for 6-7 hrs in the sun to gain the enough energy to charge the LED lights during the night; and the on-and-off switch also needs be turned off in the daytime.
- [Entertain day and nights] Solar powered LED lights brighten up an evening gathering, while the umbrella keeps you shaded as you enjoy daytime drinks with your friends. NOTE: When used as free standing umbrella, it needs over 26.5lb (12KG) patio umbrella base. Umbrella base not included in the package.
- 10FT OFFSET PATIO UMBRELLA: Designed to keep you cool and comfortable in your outdoor living space, with more space underneath than traditional patio umbrellas
- EASY ADJUSTMENT: A hand-crank lift and easy-tilt system allow you to adjust the shade and block the sun at all angles, keeping the area protected throughout the day; detachable pole and crank also make for easy setup and storage
- ENHANCED STABILITY: A large wind vent at the top allows cool air to flow through, while the cross base, 4 included ground stakes, and an extra pole knob add optimal support and stability when the wind blows
- DURABLE COMPOSITION: Crafted with a powder-coated steel pole to prevent rust and scratching, plus a water- and fade-resistant polyester fabric shade for years of vibrance
- COMPATIBLE ACCESSORY: Pairs perfectly with our signature 4-Piece Offset Umbrella Base Stand (SKY3257; SOLD SEPARATELY); OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 120"(Dia) x 79"(H)
- Made of 100% polyester that can be waterproof, long lasting, easy to clean.
- Powder Coated Aluminum Pole(40mm Diameter aluminum pole) and 8 sturdy ribs provides stronger support. Includes single wind vent for stability.
- 9 feet diameter- Wide enough to your 42" to 54" round, square or rectangle table with 4 to 6 chairs.
- Easy crank open function with push button tilt, keeping cool and comfortable form the sun.
- This Patio Umbrella include Push Button Tilt/Crank. Note:The base is not included in this item.You can buy the sunnyglade umbrella base (ASIN:B06XT1TFJN) to match it.
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Our high standards allow us to provide a world class experience for each and every one of our customers. From design to customer service, Viney’s core values are reliability and trust.
- ENHANCED STABILITY: Our sturdy elegant faux wood all-Aluminum framework helps to ensure that the umbrella will maintain stable during light weather conditions. The golden plated Aluminum alloy tilt hinge and the durable security pin assist to form a stable structure.
- DURABLE FABRIC: The canopy is made of Olefin which allows for water and UV protection. Viney only works with the best materials, our products are made to last. Here we are confident to provide an extended 3-year fade-resistant warranty for the canopy.
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: We created an easy-to-use system that opens, closes and tilts the umbrella with ease. Convenient tilting button and 3-level 90-degree tilt provide you with shade at any time in seconds. All operations can be done by one person in a simple, straight forward manner.
- CAUTION & CARE: This umbrella must be secured with a weighted base (SOLD SEPARATELY) or inserted onto a patio table. Cover and store at night and during extreme weather conditions to avoid damage and to ensure the longevity of your umbrella. We proudly provide a 1-year waranty for the entire umbrella (3 years for the canopy), if you have any questions, please contact us directly.
Patio Umbrella Buyer’s Guide
After reading through our top models’ reviews, let’s unpack what you need to look for in the best patio umbrellas.
Styles of Patio Umbrella
Patio umbrellas come in a range of styles to suit your yard, seating needs, and décor.
- Center Pole Umbrella – This model features a straight center pole that goes through a hole in your patio table, inserting into a weighted base.
- Market Umbrella – This model is the most popular type of patio umbrella. You get an octagonal design with eight limbs supporting the canopy.
- Half Umbrella – This umbrella comes with one flat side, making it easy to stand up against walls for an awning effect.
- Offset Umbrellas and Cantilever Patio Umbrellas – These umbrellas are the most popular choice for patios. It features a frame that sits outside the seating area of your table. The frame dangles the canopy overhead, allowing for adjustment to suit your seating and the sun’s position overhead.
Best Pole and Frame Materials for My Patio Umbrella
You have the following material options available when choosing your frame materials for your patio umbrella.
- Wood – Wood provides a classic look to your patio and a warm, welcoming feel. It’s flexible, but the pole might snap in high wind conditions if the umbrella is unattended.
- Aluminum – Aluminum is lightweight and ideal for a portable patio umbrella. It’s stronger than wood but lacks the reinforced sturdy characteristic of steel.
- Steel – The strongest material available for your patio umbrella frame. However, make sure you choose a model with a powder-coated finish to protect it from rust and corrosion.
- Fiberglass – These frames offer a good blend between strength and lightweight design. However, they tend to be expensive, and they aren’t the best choice for high-wind conditions.
What Size Canopy Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella?
We recommend sticking to the following sizing guide when choosing your new patio umbrella.
Shade Area / Umbrella Canopy
- up to 36″ / 7 to 8 feet
- up to 48″ / 8 to 9 feet
- up to 60″ / 9 to 10 feet
- up to 72″ / 10 to 11 feet
- up to 84″ / 11 to 12 feet
- up to 96″ / 12 to 13 feet
- up to 108″ / 13 to 14 feet
Patio Umbrella Canopy Shapes
Patio umbrella canopies come in various shapes to suit your seating requirements.
- Round – Ideal for small tables seating two people.
- Square – A classic choice for a square table.
- Rectangular – The best option for large seating arrangements.
What Kind of Fabric Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella Canopy?
Choose the best fabric to suit your environmental conditions.
- Acrylic – The gold standard of outdoor textiles. It holds its color for years and resists the elements.
- Polyester – The most common material used in canopy design, look for 300-D and 500-D grade polyester materials.
- Olefin – Texsilk® – An excellent choice for the best UV protection from your patio umbrella.
- Polyethylene – Coolaroo® – Built to withstand the harsh Australian climate, this material offers superior UV resistance.
What Kind of Base Do I Need for My Patio Umbrella?
- Mobile – This base folds up and packs away for compact storage and transport.
- Weighted – The base fits over the umbrella stand, supporting it in high-wind environments.
- Floor-mount – These umbrellas mount permanently into the patio floor.
- Wall-mount – The umbrellas mount directly into the wall.
What are Additional Features to Look for In My Patio Umbrella?
- Tilt – Look for models offering a tilting head. This feature lets you position the umbrella canopy into the sun for the best coverage at any time of the day.
- Swivel – The swivel lets you further position the canopy to your custom setup.
- Lighting – Some models include LEDs in the canopy to light up your patio at night. The best models come with solar-charging units built into the canopy.
- Heaters – Some models come with heaters built into the canopy or with mounting brackets for heaters.
- Speakers – Some models feature built-in speakers or speaker mounts for your audio pleasure.
- Protective Cover – Look for patio umbrellas that come with a protective cover to keep the elements away from your canopy and frame.
- Vented Design – Some models come with an additional canopy in the center above the main canopy. This “vented design” allows hot air to escape from under the canopy. It also allows wind to move out of the top of the umbrella, preventing lift-off in high-wind conditions.
Patio Umbrella FAQs
How do I stop my patio umbrella from flying away in the wind?
We recommend investing in a weighted base for your patio umbrella. These bases sit on the feet of the umbrella, preventing the wind from moving it around. Some models come with predrilled holes in the base, allowing permanent fixing to your patio floor.
What color is the best choice for my patio umbrella canopy?
We recommend going with a light canopy color. If you were to go with black, it provides the best UV protection, but it gets hot under the umbrella. Lighter colors reflect the sun’s rays, keeping you cool under the canopy.
Should I choose a wooden or aluminum patio umbrella?
When deciding on the right umbrella materials for your yard, you need to consider your environmental conditions. Aluminum is better for high-wind areas, where wood might crack. However, steel is the strongest material. Make sure you look for steel powder-coated frames to prevent rusting of the metal.
Where can I buy the best patio umbrella?
We recommend picking up your patio umbrella from Amazon. Amazon is the world’s largest online retailer. They have the best selection and prices on patio umbrellas, with free shipping for Prime members. You get buyer protection on your order and hassle-free returns and exchanges.
Patio Umbrellas – The Verdict
After reading through the best patio umbrella reviews and checking out our buyer’s guide, you should have an idea of the right patio umbrella for your yard. However, we realize it’s challenging to choose between so many good products. If you’re on the fence with your purchase, why not go with one of our top picks?
The FDW 10′ Offset Hanging Patio Umbrella is our top choice for the best premium patio umbrella. This model comes with an offset cantilever design, allowing for easy adjustment and positioning on the patio without getting in the way of your line-of-sight with other people around the table. The canopy features design and construction with 300-D polyester materials and waterproofing. You get a choice of three attractive colors to suit your deck or patio décor.
The ABCCANOPY 9′ Outdoor Umbrella is our top choice for homeowners looking for a replacement canopy. This model features design and construction with 500-D polyester materials. You get deep rib pockets and reinforced stitching to prevent frays. This patio umbrella canopy comes in three sizes to suit 7.5-foot, 9-foot, and 10-foot umbrella frames. You get a choice of 15-vibrant colors to suit your patio décor and a vented design that allows for airflow under the umbrella.