With the summer arriving, there’s going to be plenty of people lighting the BBQ for an afternoon cookout. Spending the afternoon poolside with the grill cooking your favorite cuts is a great way to spend the long days of summer before the fall begins.
However, to have some fun in the sun and enjoy a cookout, you’ll need to prep your meals. Prepping and cooking take longer than eating. If you fail at the prep, then it’s going to ruin the meal. To get your prep right, you need a prep table.
Prepping in the kitchen is fine, but when you take the food out to the grill, where will you put it? Most people don’t have a built-in kitchen outdoors. You’re going to need an outdoor prep table for your BBQ. A good prep table lets you keep your food and cooking utensils on hand, ready for use when you need them.
Prep tables come in a variety of sizes, designs, and configurations. In this post, we’re going to review the best BBQ prep tables and give you our recommendations on your top choices for your next cookout.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Prep Table Reviews
- 2.1 CampLand Aluminum Table – The Best Overall BBQ Prep Table
- 2.2 Camco Deluxe Folding Grill Table – The Best Premium BBQ Prep Table
- 2.3 Coleman Outdoor Compact Table – The Best Budget BBQ Prep Table
- 2.4 Keter Unity
- 2.5 RedCamp Small Folding Table
- 2.6 GCI Outdoor Slim-Fold
- 2.7 Hally Sinks & Tables Stainless Steel Prep Table
- 2.8 STL BBQ Prep Table
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Prep Tables Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What is a BBQ Table?
- 4.2 What to Look for in a BBQ Prep Table?
- 4.3 Storage Space
- 4.4 Serving Space
- 4.5 Hooks and Hangers
- 4.6 Wheels and Casters
- 4.7 Folding or Fixed?
- 4.8 Additional Racks and Holders
- 4.9 Side Handle
- 4.10 Splashbacks
- 4.11 Safety Tips for Your BBQ Prep Table
- 4.12 The Benefits of Weather-Resistant Materials for Your Table
- 5 Prep Table FAQs
- 6 Prep Tables Reviews – The Verdict
If you want to get cooking right away, and don’t want to bother with treading the entire review, check out our top picks. We have a model to suit your budget, your BBQ, and your meal.
Best Pick: CampLand Aluminum Table
- Easy to install and fold up; Overall Dimensions:L35.83”*W20.31”*H17.32''; Folded Dimensions:L36.81 X W7.52 XH5.12 inches
- Water-proof, stain-resistant and easy to clean up; Made of aluminum roll-up top and 19mm aluminum pipe frame
- Height adjustable and 25.2 inch fully extended; 4 legs can be changed to different heights for adapting the uneven surface
- Durable and lightweight; Hold up to 66lbs (30kg); Weight: 10lbs; Assembles in minutes with no tools required
- Perfect for camping, picnics, barbecues, backyard parties, etc.; Lifetime warranty and 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied
The CampLand wins our top honors as the best overall BBQ prep table. This folding table consists of lightweight aluminum construction, with extendable legs, and a carry bag included. It’s an excellent choice for taking camping and packs away into a compact size. The simplistic design and functionality of this table make it an excellent choice for a no-frills table for your next cookout.
Premium Pick: Camco Deluxe Folding Grill Table
- Measures 57.75" W x 19" D x 32" H when fully assembled. 37" x 19" x 6" when stored
- Quick and easy to set-up. In less than a minute you'll be ready to start grilling
- High strength lightweight steel frame and aluminum tabletop
- Plenty of space for all of your cooking gear with additional hooks and paper towel holder on the side
- Includes durable carrying case
If you’re looking for the best premium BBQ prep table, the Camco deluxe folding model is your best option. This table comes with plenty of space, including side tables featuring hooks for your cooking utensils. This three-piece set folds away into a carry bag for easy transport. The robust and lightweight aluminum frame is sturdy and easy to move around.
Budget Pick: Coleman Outdoor Compact Table
- SEATS: 4
- COMPACT STORAGE: Aluminum slat top rolls up
- PORTABLE: Snap-together design sets up and breaks down with ease
- DURABLE: Strong steel frame
- DIMENSIONS: 27.6 x 27.6 x 27.6 in.
Homeowners looking for the best budget BBQ prep table can check out the Coleman compact rolltop prep table. This aluminum model is lightweight and functional, clipping together in seconds to form a sturdy structure. It’s a bit smaller than the CampLand model, but it’s a good choice for portability and camping. The price point is affordable, and there’s plenty of room for everything you need on the tabletop.
Outdoor Prep Table Reviews
Now that you know our top models in this review, we’ll unpack them in further detail to help you with your purchase decision. We’ll also look at a few other prep tables we think are worthy of inclusion in the best BBQ table prep reviews.
CampLand Aluminum Table – The Best Overall BBQ Prep TableThe CampLand folding aluminum BBQ prep table wins our top honors in this review for the best overall model. This model features design and construction with a roll-up aluminum top and aluminum tubing for the frame.
The design is super lightweight, allowing for easy carry and transport. The model folds down into a compact size for easy storage and transportation, and you get a carry bag included with your purchase. The table has plenty of strength, and adjustable legs to set your height preference.
The non-scratch feet are ideal for use indoors and on the patio, without marking your tiles. There’s a side rail for hanging your tongs and other BBQ utensils. We don’t recommend cutting or prepping food directly on the aluminum tabletop. Chop on a plastic chopping board to avoid damaging the table.
The breakdown and setup of this table are easy, and it’s a great choice for use at home or kes it to a cookout in a park. This table comes with a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects.
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Folds out smooth with no assembly needed
- Waterproof and corrosion-resistant
- Snap adjustments on the frame to adjust the tabletop height
- Tabletop offers split-fold for compact storage
- Carry bag included
- Could use the addition of side tables and a second-tier
Camco Deluxe Folding Grill Table – The Best Premium BBQ Prep Table
If you’re looking for a prep table with plenty of space, top-quality design, and plenty of functionality – The Camco is your best option. This BBQ prep table features an aluminum tabletop with plenty of space. If you have spices and seasoning, you can store them on the sidecars on either side.
The sidecars feature hooks for your cooking utensils, and there’s a center mesh table under the tabletop, providing you with more storage space. This deluxe model suits the BBQ enthusiast that wants a model they can rely on at home and take on vacation.
The robust aluminum frame carries up to 300-lbs, but we doubt you’re going to be using it for that much food. We like the way this table breaks down for compact storage and easy transport. The mesh under-table locks together on the frame, providing additional support and strength to the table.
This table comes with a convenient carry bag, and it might have a steep price tag, but we feel it’s worth the money. The Camco folding BBQ prep table comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- Three-tier design with three tables and a mesh platform under the main tabletop
- Folds away in a split form for compact storage
- Side tables feature hooks for cooking utensils
- Sturdy design
- Non-scratch feet
- Comes with a carry bag
- No adjustable height
- Premium Price
Coleman Outdoor Compact Table – The Best Budget BBQ Prep Table
A good BBQ prep table doesn’t have to cost you hundreds of dollars. If you’re looking for an affordable and useful prep table, we recommend the Coleman outdoor compact table. This model has everything you need in a prep table for your next BBQ.
Coleman is one of the leading brands in camping equipment, and this table is an example of a top-quality product available at an affordable price point. We recognize this model as the best value buys in this review, and it’s a consideration if you’re working with a budget.
You get a durable aluminum-roll tabletop, with a sturdy aluminum frame, and an x-link support frame that makes it a sturdy table capable of holding up to 250-lbs. The frame locks together, providing a secure and stable prep surface for your BBQ.
This table breaks down into a split configuration and includes a carry bag. The lightweight frame and compact folding action make it ideal for taking with you on vacation without weighing the car down.
- Aluminum design and construction
- Snap-together frame
- Compact and portable
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Carry bag included
- No height adjustment
- No side table tops
If you’re looking for the best fixed model BBQ prep stand in this review, consider the Keter Unity. This model comes with a sturdy polypropylene plastic construction and a faux wood design.
There’s a spacious tabletop featuring construction with stainless steel for durability. The spacious under-table has plenty of room, and the large storage cabinet offers 44-gallons of interior space in this model.
The polypropylene frame has an espresso color, featuring casters at the bottom of the legs for smooth movement around your patio. One either end of the table, you get towel racks, and there are hooks for your tongs and other BBQ utensils.
This model is exceptionally durable, and lasts for years, even when left out in the sun. The 201 stainless steel prep surface can take a beating, and it’s a scratch-resistant cutting surface for your prep work.
- Classic design with weather-resistant polypropylene
- Faux hardwood look
- Caster on the bottom for easy movement
- Fixed design
- Plenty of surface area
- Great for summer cookouts in the backyard
- 201 stainless steel cutting and prep surface
- 78-gallons of storage space in the cabinet
- Side hooks for cooking utensils
- Not portable
- Large and takes up space
RedCamp Small Folding Table
If you’re going camping, and need a compact, lightweight, and sturdy prep table for your campfire BBQ, choose the RedCamp. This model is compact and lightweight, featuring design and construction with lightweight aluminum.
This table breaks down quickly and folds away, with the tabletop forming a carry case, complete with a carry handle for smooth movement. The table’s legs consist of aluminum tubing, providing a sturdy frame to support the largest BBQ cuts.
The legs on this table are adjustable, allowing you to set it up to your height preference. The U-shaped aluminum tubing makes this table very sturdy, and we wish it came with side tables. This table is the ideal choice taking with you on vacation or take it with you to the park for a cookout.
- Solid aluminum design
- Lightweight and compact
- Folds up into a carry case for easy transport
- 30-second setup for convenience
- Aluminum U-shaped tubing for additional support
- No side tables
- The tabletop is a bit small
- Not ideal for large cookouts
GCI Outdoor Slim-FoldThe GCI BBQ prep table is one of our favorite options in this review. This three-tier table features an aluminum prep table and two sidecars on either side for plenty of room at your BBQ.
The sidecars come with built-in wine glass holders and spaces for your BBQ utensils, keeping everything within arms reach.
There’s a second tier of sidecars for added space, and a wire under-table that provides extra storage for your BBQ essentials. We like the tubular aluminum frame that breaks down quickly, folding away for compact storage. The sidecars can handle up to 30-lbs of weight, with the entire structure supporting nearly 300-lbs of food and equipment for your BBQ.
When folded, the table only weighs 19-lbs, making it a lightweight carry for your camping trip or day at the park. There’s plenty of space on this model, and it’s a good choice for homeowners and BBQ enthusiasts that entertain large groups.
This model doesn’t have a carry bag, but it breaks down, with a built-in handle on the side for easy carry.
- Three-tier design with plenty of surface area
- Sturdy aluminum design
- 2-layers of support tables (five tabletops in total)
- Hooks for hanging cooking utensils
- Folds away flat for compact storage
- Good value for money
- No height adjustment
Hally Sinks & Tables Stainless Steel Prep Table
If you take your BBQ seriously and want chef-grade facilities, we recommend checking out the Hally Sinks BBQ prep table. This model features design and construction with premium 430-grade stainless steel for robust durability and scratch-resistance.
This model is expensive, but you’re getting what you pay for. The robust steel design of this prep table makes it a top choice for professional chefs and serious BBQ enthusiasts that want the best for their outdoor kitchen.
The top work surface is spacious, with a built-in backsplash to prevent juices from running over the edges of the table. The under-table provides plenty of room for food and spices. We would like to see the addition of casters and sidecars or hanging hooks for utensils in this model.
The feet of the table feature non-slip mats for grip on the floor, and you can buy casters separately to make this a mobile unit.
This premium BBQ prep table comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer against defects. The company offers fantastic customer service, with a 30-day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
- Featuring design and construction with 18-gauge 430 stainless steel
- Adjustable galvanized steel undershelf
- Professional chef design
- 1.5-inch backsplash
- 420-lb load capacity
- No casters for movement
- Doesn’t break down easily for transport
STL BBQ Prep Table
The final model in our review is a showstopper for your patio. This model has a similar design to the Unity model we reviewed earlier. However, you get a full wooden frame with a stainless steel prep surface.
On the sides of the prep table, you have spacious towel racks featuring hooks for your utensils. The towel racks also act as a steering handle for the table, giving you full control over the casters on the feet. There’s an under-table for storing your food and spices, and you get a spacious cabinet for keeping your food away from the flies while you cook.
This model has a classic look with a modern edge that makes it ideal for contemporary homes. It’s an expensive model, but the quality is top-drawer, and the robust design will last for decades. This prep table is an excellent choice for people that entertain lightly at their home and suits smaller BBQs.
- Solid design
- Stainless steel countertop
- Towel rack and side table for hanging towels and utensils
- Espresso-color hardwood
- Caster on the feet for easy movement
- Plenty of cupboard storage space for BBQ essentials or food
- Not portable
Other Best Selling Options
- Stainless steel table flattop can be for placing a portable grill or griddle; Also creating ample workplace for outdoor cooking, kitchen or serving area with an easy to clean finish.
- The left side tank hook for bearing 20 lbs gas cylinder.
- With 3 multifunctional tool hooks designed for additional space to place brushes or scoops.
- The Side handle design is convenient for moving and hanging useful tools.
- Double-shelf construction design provides ample storage space.
- Your purchase includes One Keter Unity XL Portable Table and Storage Cabinet, Four Hook Hangers, Two side bars for paper towel, spice rack and bottle opener
- Cabinet dimensions: 52.7" W x 20.3" D x 35.2" H. Sealed internal dimensions: 40.9” L x 16.3” W x 18.5” H
- 54 gallons of interior storage & 24 gallons of open storage for a total of 78 gallons storage capacity
- Weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling and denting - unlike real wood
- 201 grade stainless steel upper surface for preparing and serving while being easy to clean
- Sturdy structure with selected material: Our potting bench is made of 100% fir wood, which is known for its strength and dimensional stability as well as its natural resistance to rot and pests. Built in a solid structure, the potting tabletop can hold up to 100kg/220lb and 80kg/176lb for the bottom shelf and cabinet.
- Spacious working/storage space: Measuring 112x46cm/44.1x18.1’’, the large tabletop covered with galvanized metal sheet provides you with a corrosion-resistant and ample placing/working/crafting space. Apart from the drawer under the tabletop, the slatted shelf and the roomy cabinet at the bottom offer open storage and enclosed space to satisfy your various storage needs.
- Rich & assorted usage: If you’re a big fan of gardening, this potting bench can be a great assistant for you. It also can serve as a display stand for plants, photos and handicraft or storage for grills in the porch, patio and balcony.
- Handy side hooks: Our outdoor bench comes with three metal hooks on the right side for hanging gardening tools, fire pokes and bags for your convenience.
- Easy assembly: Simple assembly is required to set up this potting table. We provide an illustrated instruction to help you set up quickly and easily. All parts and hardware are included.
- DECK STORAGE CABINET: Beautiful plastic outdoor cabinet box has a 97-gallon capacity for patio, deck, yard, porch, garage, and shed storage!
- DURABLE: Water-resistant poly resin construction resists fading and rust to keep your box looking new for years to come
- VERSATILE: For use indoors or outdoors to store pool toys, grill supplies, patio cushions, gardening tools, sports equipment, yard gloves, and more!
- ADJUSTABLE SHELF AND EASY MAINTENANCE: Includes an adjustable shelf for optimal housing of outdoor accessories. Rain water flows off of the box to keep your belongings dry and free from mildew and rust
- LARGE SIZED: Storage box measures 23" x 42" x 35" , the perfect size and fit for any living space
- ✔ WATERPROOF MATERIAL: Made of waterproof hammer finish, waterproof platic board, waterproof screws and nuts and waterproof spray paint. Mr IRONSTONE Customized outdoor bar table is anti-scratch WATERPROOF and easy cleaning.
- ✔ DIMENSION & CAPACITY: Pub table: 46.5L * 14.9W * 39H inch; Shipping weights 46.3 lbs.Mr IRONSTONE pub height table can hold 250 LBS.Perfect for your family use.
- ✔ STYLISH HAMMER FINISH: The unique hammer finish design makes the bar table stunning in the home, restaurant, bar, pub, Bistro, coffee shop, kitchen, patio, lawn & garden.
- ✔ FAST INSTALLATION & EASY CLEANING: Tools and instructions that needed are included in the package. It's easy to put the desk and chair together with instructions.
- ✔ PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE: If you have any quality problems within one year, you can contact us any time for after-sales service. Our experienced customer service team will response in 24 hours ASAP.
Prep Tables Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have an idea of the best BBQ prep tables available, it’s time to decide on the right model for your next cookout. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about selecting the best BBQ prep tables.
What is a BBQ Table?
A BBQ prep table is a small table designed to hold your food, spices, and utensils when you’re cooking on your grill or smoker. These tables are portable, allowing you to move them around on casters on your patio. You get fixed and foldable models to suit your yard and BBQ needs, with design and construction in various materials to suit the application.
The table helps you keep everything organized while cooking, allowing easy access to anything you need within arm’s length. There’s no need to keep running inside to the kitchen to fetch stuff for the BBQ. With a side table, you have everything you need in reach.
What to Look for in a BBQ Prep Table?
If you’re cooking for yourself and your partner, or a small family, you don’t need a large table for your prep work. A small side table to hold the food, spices, containers, and utensils is all you need to successfully navigate your BBQ from start to finish.
However, if you find yourself inviting friends around once a month in the summer for a BBQ, you’ll need a larger prep table. If you plan on doing the prep work outside in front of the family or friends to impress them with your culinary skills, you’re going to need a large, flat surface.
Most fixed prep tables come with some form or storage cabinet. Use the cabinet to store prepped food to keep the flies off until it’s ready for the grill. The storage cabinet is also handy for storing your spices, grilling equipment, and other utensils when you’re not using the grill.
Most folding tables come with only the single tabletop. However, there are a few premium models in this review featuring sidecar tables and under-tables that provide additional storage and workspace.
Folding tables have the benefit of collapsing them for easy storage and transport. Most models come with a carry bag, allowing you to pop them in the trunk of your car and head out to a friend’s house of the park for a cookout.
Choosing the right model for your needs depends on how often you grill, the space you have on your patio, and your budget. Fixed models are typically more expensive than folding prep tables and offer you more room.
The top of your BBQ prep table needs to reflect your use. If you want to use the table for meat or vegetable prep, we recommend you look for a model with a flat, stainless steel top. Stainless steel is the best sterile surface. It’s easy to clean, and there’s nowhere for germs to hide that could contaminate your food on your next cookout.
Stainless steel countertops are scratch resistant, and you can chop away without damaging the surface. Overall, stainless steel offers the best prep surface, but it’s a heavy material, and only available on moist fixed-models.
If you’re looking at a folding table, chances are you’re going to get a model with an aluminum tabletop. Aluminum is lightweight and makes it easy to transport the table. Aluminum isn’t as durable as stainless steel, but it still has excellent scratch resistance and strength.
Aluminum folding tables also come with a racked tabletop design. If you want to cut meat and veggies, we recommend you bring along a cutting board. Most portable tables can double as serving meals around the campsite or park.
Hooks and Hangers
Having nowhere to put your tongs or fork while your cooking is frustrating. When selecting your ideal BBQ prep table, we recommend you look for a model that offers a sidecar with hangers for your utensils.
Some prep tables come with towel racks, and some even have clips for holding your wine glass while you work.
We like models that feature large loop-hooks to hang our tongs. This feature might not seem like a necessity, but when you’re cooking in the park, and there’s nowhere to put your tongs, you won’t have to ask your friends to hold your equipment while cooking.
Wheels and Casters
If you’re looking at a fixed BBQ prep table for your patio, we recommend choosing a model that features casters. These small wheels allow the smooth movement of the prep table around your workspace.
After finishing your BBQ, wheel the table back to its storage spot, out of the way until next time. Wheels and casters aren’t important for folding tables. These models typically have fixed feet with rubber caps to prevent them from scratching your patio.
Folding or Fixed?
The big decision – do you want a folding or fixed BBQ prep table. If portability is a concern for you, then we recommend going with a foldable model.
Most folding BBQ tables feature a split tabletop that allows them to fold away into a compact format. Look for models that come with carrying bags for convenience when traveling to the park or friend’s house for a cookout.
Fixed models aren’t suitable for portable use. However, they have a sturdy frame and a fixed, stable tabletop ideal for prep work.
A fixed model suits your patio BBQ, while a folding table is better for smaller homes with limited patio space or for those BBQ enthusiasts that like to take their cooking on the road to the local park for a cookout.
Additional Racks and Holders
When you’re cooking and the heat is on – the last thing you want to do is dash into the kitchen for the chicken spice while the bird is on the grill. By the time you get to the cabinet and back with the spice, the chicken’s skin is on fire, with the meal ruined.
Don’t let this happen to your BBQ. Look for a prep table with sidecars and utensils, holders for your spices, condiments, tongs, and fork. With the right racking and holders, you’ll have space for all your BBQ essentials, including racks for your kitchen towels, and even a glass holder for your beer or wine while you work.
If you’re getting a fixed BBQ prep table with casters, look for models that offer side handles. These handles make it easy to move the table around during the BBQ and after your finish. The side handle can also function as a towel rack.
If you plan on using your table for prep work, look for a model with a splashback. The splashback prevents the meat or veggies from rolling off the table, or the juices falling on the floor of your patio, making a mess. Most professional chef models come with a splashback.
Safety Tips for Your BBQ Prep Table
- Choose the model that’s right for you, and set it up before you start the grill
- Always wipe down surfaces with an anti-microbial solution before starting your prep work
- Make sure you have control and awareness of all sharp knives on the table
- Always use gloves when setting up a folding table to avoid injury to your hands
- After you finish grilling, clean down the table with an anti-bacterial solution
- If you have a storage area in your table, make sure you keep it clean
- Read the manual for the table before setting it up for the first time
- Make sure you do the necessary maintenance to keep the table operational
The Benefits of Weather-Resistant Materials for Your Table
- When selecting your BBQ prep table, you want a model that’s going to last for years
- Stainless steel is the best weather-resistant material for the prep surface
- Stainless steel comes with supreme corrosion and wear-resistance
- Aluminum is an excellent choice for lightweight, weather-resistant material for your BBQ prep table
- Aluminum scratches easier than stainless, so use a chopping board
- Some fixed models might feature design and construction with polypropylene plastics for weather resistance
- Polypropylene plastics often feature a faux wood design for an authentic look
- Polypropylene, stainless steel, and aluminum are all excellent weather-resistant choices
- Choose the model that suits your budget
Prep Table FAQs
Folding vs. fixed BBQ prep tables, which is the better option?
If you have space on your porch, a fixed model is the best option. Fixed models come with storage cabinets for utensils or food, and casters for smooth movement. Fixed models are heavier, and often feature design and construction with dense polypropylene plastic or wood.
Do I need storage space in my BBQ prep table?
Not all BBQ prep tables feature storage space. If that’s important to you, make sure you choose a model with a cabinet or side shelving. Most fixed models feature cabinet storage, and folding tables typically have sidecars or under-tables.
What is the best heat-resistant material for a BBQ prep table?
Aluminum and stainless steel are great options. Plastics like polypropylene are the preferred material for your table surface, with strong corrosion resistance.
However, plastic and wood materials tend to scratch. Aluminum is lightweight, and common material in the design of folding portable tables. Plastic, wood, and aluminum all offer your table excellent thermal resistance.
Where’s the best place to buy a BBQ prep table?
We recommend that you purchase your table on Amazon. Amazon has every model in this review in stock, and they offer fast shipping with easy returns if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase.
Prep Tables Reviews – The Verdict
By now, you should have an idea of the best BBQ prep table to suit your next cookout. Whether you’re going camping or hosting in your backyard, there’s a model in this review to suit your needs. If you’re struggling with making your choice, why not go with our top choices?
The CampLand Aluminum Table wins our award as the best overall BBQ prep table in this review. It’s got everything you need to control your cookout. You get telescopic legs that snap into position, easy folding for compact storage and transport, and a handy carry bag.
If you’re looking for the best premium model available in this review, we recommend the Camco Deluxe Folding Grill Table. This model comes with all the storage space you need to host the largest family cookouts. The sturdy, lightweight steel frame and aluminum tabletop have plenty of storage space, with two side tables and a mesh under-table.
The Coleman Outdoor Compact Table is our best budget option in this review. This model features design and construction with lightweight aluminum and folds away for compact storage using a split design for the tabletop. Pack it in the carry bag and take it with you to the park for a cookout.