As the name suggests, a garden cart that is intended for toting around gardening supplies and it’s a must-have accessory for any gardener.
But there are so many different garden carts on the market that trying to narrow down the options and choose one that will best suit your needs can seem like a daunting task. You want to make sure that the garden cart you choose is sturdy, reliable, and offers enough space to hold all of your equipment.
To make the process of purchasing the right garden cart for your needs, we have taken the liberty of putting together a list of the best options that are currently on the market. In order to find the highest quality, most reliable garden carts available, we’ve invested a lot of time into researching the different options available and have read through tons of reviews.
Based on our assessments, we’ve hand-picked the best garden carts and compiled a handy list of the top models. Below, you’ll find a selection of our top picks, including the best, premium, and budget-friendly options, complete with an overview of each one and a list of pros and cons.
We’ve included some additional models to consider, too, as well as a buyer’s guide, which includes some important factors to consider that will help you select the best garden cart for your particular needs and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about garden carts.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at our picks for the best garden carts that are available on the market today.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Garden Carts Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Garden Cart Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Garden Cart FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
If you’re in a rush and don’t have the time to read through our extensive review, take a look at this section, which highlights our top three picks for the best, premium, and budget garden carts.
Best Pick: Seco Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart
- Heavy duty 150 lb capacity perfect for hauling groceries, garden, sports, Picnic, party supplies
- Large 8 x 1.5 inch rubber wheels with durable Steel frame and polyester body with padding
- Unfolds and folds in seconds for easy use
- Telescoping/locking handle measures 29.5" to 39.5" from the ground level (actual handle length is 31.5")
- Handle can be locked in the upright position or Lowered for a Wagon style pull
Based on our assessments, we’ve determined that the Seco Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Carts. With a steel frame construction and padded polyester body that sits on four 8 inch x 1.5 inch rubber wheels, this garden cart is extremely durable and reliable.
Premium Pick: Polar Trailer #8376 Utility Cart Lawn Cart
- Load capacity: 400 lbs, Load size: 10 cubic feet
- Weight: 49 lbs, High-impact polyethylene tub
- Overall Dimensions: 65" X 29" X 29", Body Dimensions: 52" x 29" x 13"
- Two 20" spoked wheels with solid rubber tires
- Perfect for hauling most everything from yard to camping gear
If you’re on the market for a premium-quality garden cart, the Polar Trailer #8376 Utility Cart is definitely an option that’s worth considering. It’s small enough to make it easy to manage, yet durable enough to handle just about any type of gear and plants you can throw its way.
Best Budget Pick: Kinsunny Garden Dump Cart
- Designed with a 36-inch by 21-inch rust resistant poly bed, steel frame and green finish. Equipped with a rubber grip in the handle for comfortable hand placement while steering
- Padded straight handle for pulling comfort and 10-inch pneumatic turf tires to tackle any terrain
- Once the cart reaches the destination, supplies, such as sand or gravel, can easily be dumped (remove lock and tip the bed)
- Load supplies up to 600 lbs. on the flat platform while the tilted shape holds and dumps up to 220 lbs.
For gardeners who want a reliable cart that won’t break the bank, this option from Kinsunny is a great choice. Featuring a 36 inch x 21 inch rust-resistant polyethylene bed with a frame that’s constructed of steel that can accommodate an impressive 600 pounds of weight (on flat platform) or can be dump up to 220 pounds of weight, this garden cart is super durable and can take on just about anything you throw its way.
Garden Carts Reviews
SECO Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart
For the best garden cart, we chose the SECO Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart. There are quite a few reasons why we picked this model for the best pick. It features a polyester padded body which is attached to a heavy-duty steel frame that has a 220 pound capacity, making it a highly durable garden cart that can easily tote a variety of garden tools and accessories.
It also features four 8 inch by 1.4 inch rubber tires that can take on any type of terrain with ease, so whether you need to haul your gardening equipment over a jagged rocks, wood mulch, grass, or concrete, you’ll have no problem getting to wherever you need to with the Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart from SECO.
In addition to being super durable and reliable, another reason why we chose this model for our best pick garden cart is because it’s foldable, which makes storage really easy. Fold it up and put it in your shed, garage, a closet, or even in the trunk of your car.
Add to that the fact that it’s outfitted with a telescopic comfort-grip handle that can be locked in the upright position or lowered down to pull the cart as a wagon and this garden cart is also one of the most versatile on the market. Of course, you can use it to haul your gardening supplies, but it can also be used to tote sporting equipment, groceries, or supplies for a part or picnic.
With so many awesome features, you’d think that the SECO Heavy Duty Folding Utility Wagon Garden Cart would cost a bundle. Nope. It’s actually pretty cost-effective.
- Steel frame and padded polyester body for superior durability
- Can accommodate up to 220 pounds
- 8 by 1.5 inch rubber wheels for easy transport
- Telescoping/locking comfort-grip handle that can be locked in an upright position or lowered for a wagon-type pull
- Foldable for easy storage and it folds and unfolds in a matter of seconds
- It can’t be used for dumping, so if you’re planning on using a cart to dump mulch, soil, or gravel, this one likely won’t work for you
Polar Trailer #8376 Utility Cart Lawn Cart
For gardeners who are looking for a high-end cart that they can use for their hauling and dumping needs, the Polar Trailer #8376 Utility Cart Lawn Cart is a great option and our pick for the best premium garden cart.
With a load capacity of up to 400 pounds and a load size of 10 cubic feet, this garden cart offers plenty of space and can hold plenty of gear, supplies, etc. With two solid rubber, never-flat tires fixed to 20 inch spoked wheels and a centered and balanced axel, you’ll have no trouble transporting the Polar Trailer Utility Cart Lawn Cart over the most rugged terrains.
The polyethylene tub and ball bearing hubs, this cart is super durable and easy to clean out; just spray it down with hose to rinse it clean.
The Polar Trailer is designed for both hauling and dumping. The curved edge makes it easy to pour dirt, grass clippings, mulch, gravel, or anything else you can think of easy to dump.
Durable, sturdy, easy to use, plenty of room, and an easy transport heavy load capacity, you can rely on the Polar Trailer #8376 Utility Cart to tow all of your garden gear or anything else you need help toting around for years to come.
- Offers 10 cubic feet of space and a 400 pound load capacity
- The high-impact polyethylene tub is super durable and easy to clean
- 20 spiked wheels and solid rubber tires can go over any terrain and will never go flat
- Centered and balanced axle makes for easy transport
- Designed for easy dumping
- Versatile; can be used for hauling gardening supplies, landscape materials and debris, or even camping gear
- Some users said that the handle was a bit short
- It’s a bit on the heavy side
Kinsunny Garden Dump Cart
For those who are looking for a garden cart that won’t break the bank yet doesn’t sacrifice quality for affordability, the Kinsunny Garden Dump Cart with Steel Frame is an excellent option.
It combines durability and versatility at a very budget-friendly price. This cart features a rust-resistant poly bed that sits on a steel frame and measures 36 inches by 21 inches, so you can have confidence knowing that it is exceptionally durable and built to last. With a 600 pound capacity on flat platform and a 220 pound dumping capacity, you can use this garden cart for just about anything you can think of.
With four 10 inch pneumatic treaded tires, you can tote the Kinsunny garden cart over all types of terrain with ease and won’t ever have to worry about the tires going flat. A straight handle with a cushion-grip loop has a 180 degree turn range and makes it comfortable and easy to handle. To round out the features that this garden cart offers, this garden cart boasts a removable container box, which further simplifies its use.
- Rust-resistant poly bed and steel frame construction for extreme durability
- Straight handle with loop-designed comfort-grip pull that can be adjusted 180 degrees makes for comfortable, easy control
- Removable bed makes for easy dumping
- Features four 10 inch pneumatic turf tires that can take on any type of terrain
- Can accommodate up to 600 pounds and offers 36 inches by 21 inches of space
- Wide wheelbase provides excellent balance and stability
- Lightweight design
- Affordably priced
- A few users said that the cart broke after only a couple of uses, which was more than likely the result of a manufacturing defect
- Others said that it wasn’t as sturdy as they hoped it would be
Gorilla Carts Heavy-Duty Garden Poly Dump Cart
For gardeners who have super-heavy loads, theGOR866D Heavy-Duty Garden Poly Dump Cart from Gorilla Carts is an excellent choice. This garden cart has an astounding 1200 pound capacity, which means that it can be used to transport cumbersome loads of gravel, mulch, clean fill, or just about anything else without breaking a sweat.
The bed, which measures 40 inches by 25 inches, is made of rust resistant poly and is attached to a steel frame, so you’ll have confidence knowing that this garden cart is built to last. Four 13 inch pneumatic tires will never go flat and can go over any terrain without an issue.
This Gorilla Carts garden cart features a patented quick-release dump feature, with makes dumping an absolute breeze. The “D”-shaped handle, which is also patented, is another unique feature, as it can be connected to tractor or an ATV so that you can tow your load behind you, allowing for even easier transport. Of course, the handle is also adjustable, which further adds to the ease of use. And, since it’s backed by a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty, you can have peace of mind when you invest in this garden cart.
- Offers an impressive 1200 pound capacity
- The 40 inch by 25 inch poly bed is rust resistant and sits on a steel frame for extreme durability
- Features four 13 inch pneumatic tires that can take on any type of terrain and will never go flat
- A patented quick-release dump feature makes unloading a cinch
- The patented adjustable “D”-shaped handle can be attached to a tractor or an ATV for even easier transport
- Backed by a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty
- While it’s exceptionally rugged and durable, the price tag is a bit high and may be cost-prohibitive for some shoppers
- Some users said that the cart is bit difficult to assemble
Garden Star Dual-Wheel Wheelbarrow / Garden CartThe Garden Star 70019 Garden Barrow is a unique choice, as it functions as both a garden cart and a wheelbarrow in one. It’s a bit on the smaller size, as the bed can only carry up to 4 cubic feet and is only 8 inches deep; however, if you’re looking for garden cart for smaller projects, that’s definitely plenty of space.
The bed is made of durable rust-proof plastic, which is not only durable, but is easy to clean and virtually maintenance free. With dual air-filled pneumatic tires and a loop handle, this garden cart can go over just about any terrain without any issue and the design allows it to be either pushed or pulled.
Of course, since it serves as a wheelbarrow, too, you can easily dump whatever is loaded in the bed; mulch, gravel, dirt, leaves, grass clippings, or anything else you can think of.
While this garden cart/wheelbarrow combo may not be the largest option on our list, the size makes it perfect for storage, as its compact, lightweight size can be easily tucked away. It’s also one of the most budget-friendly options on our list.
- Poly plastic tray is rust-proof, durable, and easy toc clean
- Two air-filled pneumatic tires and a loop handle allows this cart to go over just about any surface and it’s easy to maneuver; can be either pushed or pulled
- The eight inch, 4 cubic foot bed is suitable for moving and dumping small loads of mulch, dirt, sand, gravel, garden debris, etc.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy to store
- Affordably priced
- Easy to assemble
- Some users said that it was a lot smaller than they thought it would be
- Others said that it was difficult to assemble
Peach Tree Garden Cart
The Peach Tree Garden Cart Scooter is definitely one of the most unique garden carts featured on our list. It serves as both a wagon and a scooter in one, so you have a tool that you can use to tote around your supplies and a seat that you can sit on so you don’t have to kneel on the ground while you’re gardening.
Featuring a heavy-duty steel frame with a powder coated finish, this garden cart/scooter is highly durable, rust-resistant, waterproof, and can hold up to 300 pounds of weight. The seat is molded for comfort and it can rotate a full 360 degrees to easily accommodate any position you may be working in. The seat height is adjustable, too, so you can get the perfect fit.
An extendable loop handle makes moving this cart a cinch. To accommodate your gardening supplies, this scooter/garden cart combo features a tool tray under the seat and basket on the back.
With four pneumatic wheels that sit on solid steel axles, you can have peace of mind knowing that you will be well-supported and will have no trouble getting around your yard, patio, deck, driveway, walkway, or wherever else you plan on using it.
- Doubles as a garden cart and scooter in one
- The heavy-duty powder coated solid steel frame is waterproof, rust-resistant, and can hold up to 300 pounds
- The seat is molded, can rotate a full 360 degrees and the height can be easily adjusted
- Four heavy-duty pneumatic wheels are attached to solid steel axles that provide reliable portability
- A tool tray and basket can be used to store tools, seeds, a watering can, and other small gardening items
- A adjustable loop handle allows for easy steering
- Affordably priced
- It doesn’t offer a lot of storage space, so it isn’t suitable for large loads
- Some buyers said that it was difficult to assemble
Other Best Selling Options
- Patented quick-release dump feature makes unloading quick and easy
- New frame design reduces assembly time while offering improved maneuverability and ground clearance
- Durable 38.7-inch x 20-inch rust-proof poly bed and 10-inch pneumatic tires
- Padded pull handle makes it easy to pull up to 600-pounds.1-year limited warranty
- CONVERTS INTO A FLATBED: Remove the foldable sides with quick-release hinges to create a flatbed, perfect for moving heavier objects
- HEAVY-DUTY: Sturdy, corrosion-resistant frame and tough, rubber wheels can go on various terrains like dirt and grass while comfortable handle lets you easily steer the cart
- MULTIPURPOSE: can lift and move heavy loads of dirt, rocks, wood, boxes, equipment, and more for almost multiple tasks like landscaping and home improvement
- PERFECT SIZE: Cart height is comfortable and easy to maneuver while large interior capacity can hold up to 440 lbs. of tools and equipment
- MINIMAL EFFORT: Reduce stress on your spine and let the cart do the tough hauling for you during lawn, garden, or farm projects; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 41"(L) x 18"(W) x 20"(H); Weight Capacity: 400 lbs.
- PATENTED DUMP FEATURE - Quick-release for easy unloading
- EASY TO USE - Innovative design for simple assembly, superior maneuverability and ground clearance
- TOUGH AND DURABLE - 40-inch long x 26-inch wide heavy-duty, rust-proof poly bed and 13-inch pneumatic tires
- VERSATILE HAULING - 2-in-1 convertible handle can be pulled by hand or towed behind a tractor/ATV, making it easy to haul up to 1200 pounds
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
- GARDENING SEAT – This rolling cart is ideal for anyone eager to alleviate back and knee pain when planting or weeding. The lid creates a sturdy seat that makes low to the ground tasks much easier, with less need for crouching or stooping.
- EASILY TRANSPORTS – The sturdy 6” wheels and built-in handles on each side allow you to navigate this rolling storage cart through tall grass, over rocks, and around the yard. The easy maneuverability is ideal for both kids and adults with green thumbs.
- DURABLE MATERIALS – Featuring a durable plastic construction, this utility cart has a weight capacity of up to 220lbs. Use this sturdy rolling stool for gardening or other tasks around the home like painting, cleaning, or even car repair.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE – The spacious interior and removable tool tray are ideal for keeping all your garden tools and supplies in one convenient place. The bin has ample room to store gloves, spades, planting shovels, gardening shears, and more.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Material: Polypropylene. Dimensions: (L) 21.5” x (W) 10” x (H) 11.5”. Tool Tray: (L) 14” x (W) 8.75” x (H) 1.5”. Storage Area: (L) 15.5” x (W) 8” x (H) 7.5”. Maximum Weight Capacity: 220lbs. Colors: Green, Black, and Gray.
- Four 10" x 4" pneumatic rubber tires for use outdoors and on most flooring types
- Auto-style steering with a D-style handle attached to a tie rod and steering arms to help prevent tipping
- Steel mesh deck has 2" sides to help prevent items from rolling off
- Flat wagon for transporting supplies, equipment, and materials
Garden Cart Buyer’s Guide
Now that we’ve reviewed our top seven picks for the best garden carts, which included a nice selection of a variety of options, features, and price points, you may be wondering how to go about figuring out which one will best meet your needs. In order to determine which garden cart to choose, before you shop, it’s important to take some key factors into consideration. What factors are those? Let’s take a look.
Garden Cart Style
First things first; you need to determine what type of garden cart you’ll need. There are a few different options, including:
- Dump carts. This type of garden cart, as the name suggests, is intended to be used as both a wagon and a wheelbarrow, meaning that you can easily dump the contents within it, as it features a curved edge and two wheels as opposed to four, just like a wheelbarrow. If you intend on using your garden cart to both tote and dump materials (mulch, clean fill, gravel, etc.), this is the style for you.
- Utility carts. A utility cart is similar to a wagon in that it features four solid sides and four wheels. A utility cart can be used to securely stow and tote a variety of materials, including gardening tools, compost, dirt, and bags of mulch; however, because of the design, the contents cannot be easily dumps. Instead, you’ll need to use a shovel to remove the contents.
- Foldable carts. A foldable cart is just like a utility cart, except, as you probably guessed, it can be folded down. The bin is made of fabric and the frame is made of some type of metal (usually steel). If you’re short on space or you don’t want your garden cart to take up a lot of room when it’s not in use, a foldable cart is a good choice, as it’s easy to store (it’s also a good option if you plan on transporting your cart in the trunk of your car).
- Scooter carts. This type of garden cart is unique in that it serves as both a scooter and cart. It features a molded, adjustable seat that can be used to sit on while gardening and has a storage area, usually a basket underneath, in front, or on the back of the cart – or all three. If you have mobility issues that prevent you from bending or for long periods of time or kneeling, you might want to consider a scooter cart; however, do note that this style doesn’t offer a lot of storage space.
You’ll also need to determine how much capacity you need. Garden carts are available in a variety of capacities that can range from around 150 pounds to 1200 pounds or more. Consider what you will be using the cart to tow in order to determine what capacity you’ll need. Keep in mind, however, that getting a cart that’s larger than what you’ll actually need to be on the safe side isn’t necessarily the best bet, as larger capacity models are usually heavier and of course, are larger, so they require more storage space.
Of course, you’ll also want to consider the materials the garden cart is made of, as you want it to be as durable as possible. Garden carts are constructed of a variety of materials; heavy-duty steel, polycarbonate, polyester (for foldable styles), and even wood are just some of the materials that are used. The materials used not only affect the durability, but also affect the weight of the cart, so be sure you keep this in mind while you’re shopping.
Garden carts wouldn’t be carts if they didn’t have wheels, and the types of wheels that are used do vary. Solid plastic is a popular option, as its lightweight and won’t pop; however, they can become scratched and can crack, and they really aren’t ideal for use on rugged terrain. Pneumatic tires are another option. They’re made of reinforced rubber and can take on shock a lot better than plastic, so they’re better-suited for rocky landscapes; however, pneumatic tires can deflate and pop.
Garden Cart FAQs
If you’ve never purchased a garden cart before, you probably have some questions. Here’s a look at the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about garden carts.
Is a garden cart really worthwhile?
Sure! If you do a lot of gardening and haul materials around to do so, this tool will make the job a lot easier.
Is a dump cart the same as a wheelbarrow?
No. They’re similar in that they can both be easily dumped; however, dump-style garden carts are usually easier to maneuver and control than wheelbarrows.
What’s the best material to choose?
Garden carts, as mentioned, come in a variety of materials. There is no “best” material, as it really depends on your specific needs; however, with that said, polycarbonate and steel are both really durable.
How do I determine what capacity I need?
Consider what you’ll be hauling. If you’ll be using a cart to transport mulch, clean fill, or yard waste, a larger capacity cart would probably be a better option.
With the information presented in this guide, you’ll be able to determine which type of garden cart will best meet your needs, and will also have an assortment of high-quality options to choose from. Happy gardening!