Having an automated sprinkler system is a great investment for your lawn. With a computerized system, your garden gets water when it needs it. A home sprinkler setup involves several components: the sprinkler heads, piping, couplings, controller – and the pump.
Many homeowners put careful consideration into choosing the right sprinkler heads and controllers. However, they fail to put the same amount of effort into selecting the right pump for your system. The pump acts as the heart of your sprinkler setup.
It pushes the water to your sprinkler heads, ensuring all your watering zones have adequate pressure to water your garden properly.
Pumps are available in various capacities and working pressures. Some have specialized use in sprinkler systems. Others act as multi-functional pumps that are suitable for water transfers, sprinkler systems, and more.
In this review, we’ll look at the best sprinkler pump for your watering needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Sprinkler Pump Reviews
- 2.1 ECO-FLO Products Self-Priming Irrigation Pump
- 2.2 Red Lion RL-SPRK150 Sprinkler Pumps
- 2.3 DC HOUSE 33-Series Industrial Water Pump
- 2.4 Wayne WLS200 Sprinkler Pump
- 2.5 Wayne PLS100 Sprinkler Pump
- 2.6 Simer 3415P Spinkler Pump
- 2.7 Flotec FP5172 Pump Sprinkler
- 2.8 Lanchez Portable Sprinkler Pump
- 2.9 Homdox Sprinkler Pump
- 2.10 The Blue Store Self-Priming Misting Pump
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Sprinkler Pump Buyer’s Guide
- 5 How to Choose a Sprinkler Pump for Your Home Irrigation System
- 6 Sprinkler Pump FAQs
- 7 Sprinkler Pumps – The Verdict
Log onto your favorite online retailer, and you’ll find dozens of sprinkler pump models available. If you don’t know what you’re looking at, it’s challenging to choose the right model. We have researched and tested for many hours to pick our 10 best options – from those ten choices, we selected these three for our top picks.
- Best Pick: ECO-FLO Products Self-Priming Irrigation Pump
The ECO-FLO sprinkler pump is our top choice for the best overall model in this review. If you’re looking for a high-power system capable of pressurizing the largest sprinkler systems, this model is a top choice. The ECO-FLO features a 2-HP motor, making it one of the most powerful pumps in its class. You get stainless steel and cast-iron body, offering ultimate protection to the motor and gearbox. This model features a self-priming design, and it’s suitable for water transfer duties, as well as sprinkler setups. This model operates at flowrates up to 70-gallons per minute, and it’s ideal for pumping pressure heads up to 20-feet.
- Premium Pick: Red Lion RL-SPRK150 Sprinkler Pumps
The Red Lion lawn sprinkler pump wins our award for the best premium model in this review. The bright fireman-red color on this model makes it stand out from other competitor pumps. However, looks aren’t everything, and this pump comes packed with a high-performance operation. You get a 1.5-HP motor pumping 71-gallons per minute, with an operating pressure of 44-Psi. This model includes a cast-iron, powder-coated body, and head providing ultimate protection to your pump. This model is suitable for a larger sprinkler system, with enough pressure and power to drive 30 sprinkler heads and multiple watering zones.
- Budget Pick: DC HOUSE 33-Series Industrial Water Pump
Homeowners on a budget will get the best value from this DC House model. This sprinkler pump comes with a lightweight plastic body that’s easy to maneuver and set up anywhere in your yard. This model includes adjustable pressures between 17 to 60-Psi, with a built-in pressure adjustment switch. This model is affordable but offers you high-performance for your sprinkler system. It comes with a 4-year warranty, with the factory setting at 45-Psi. The DC House 33-series is a great choice for smaller yards and gardens, offering a flow rate of 3.3-gallons per minute.
Sprinkler Pump Reviews
We selected the best sprinkler pump models we could find for this review. After glancing at our top models, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other sprinkler pumps worthy of mention in this review.
ECO-FLO Products Self-Priming Irrigation Pump
Homeowners and professional landscapers will get the best value from the ECO-Flo sprinkler pump. This model is an excellent choice for the largest sprinkler applications, allowing for the connection of up to 40 sprinkler heads.
This model comes with a 2-HP motor, featuring over 20-feet of lift and 3,495—Gallons per hour operation. The thermoplastic impeller provides temperature resistance and extended service life to the motor.
The pump also works with automatic sprinkler systems, providing user-friendly operation with dewatering and water transfer applications.
This sprinkler pump comes with a self-priming operation and a 1.5-inch suction port for a universal connection to your sprinkler system. This model includes an easy service design with parts readily available through service agents.
The motor features efficient operation and high-capacity flow for optimal performance in the largest yards. You get a powder-coated cast-iron design with excellent corrosion resistance.
- 2HP motor with self-priming design
- Suitable for automatic sprinkling systems
- Works with de-watering and water transfer
- Easy service design
- Efficient operation
- Stainless steel housing
Red Lion RL-SPRK150 Sprinkler Pumps
This Red Lion model wins our award for the best premium sprinkler pump in this review. Red Lion makes some of the best home pumping equipment, and it’s a great choice for professional installations.
This model comes with a powerful 1.5-HP motor and a 1.5” outlet compatible with most sprinkler systems. This Red Lion sprinkler pump includes a maximum working pressure of 44-Psi, making it suitable for running up to 30 sprinkler heads.
The Red Lion comes with a cast-iron design for sturdy use and extended service life. The red powder-coating provides corrosion resistance, and the motor comes with a thermoplastic impeller for temperature resistance and long service life.
This Red Lion sprinkler pump features an operating capacity of 71-gallons per minute, and you get a 1.5” outlet for universal compatibility with sprinkler systems.
- Professional-grade equipment
- Suits use as a cast iron sprinkler or well pump
- Thermoplastic impeller
- 5-HP motor
- 5″ diameter outlet
DC HOUSE 33-Series Industrial Water Pump
The DC House 33-Series industrial sprinkler pump is a great choice for homes and gardens on slopes. This model generates an incredible 9.8-feet of lift, with a 3.3-gallon per minute flow rate and 45-Psi operation. It’s a great choice for watering the largest gardens, with quiet operation.
The thermoplastic casing is UV resistant and lightweight, making for an easy installation anywhere around your yard. This model comes with a 4-year warranty on parts, and you get excellent watering efficiency and low power consumption.
The DC House 33-series is a fantastic choice for professional installations, with automatic operation for your sprinkler system. This model comes with thermal overload and an easy-cleaning strainer for trapping debris.
The DC House features an on-demand pressure switch for adjustable operation, and it comes with a 2-piece hose fitting. The self-priming function makes it suitable for various watering applications, and you can fit up to 20 sprinkler heads into this model.
- 45-Psi operation
- Self-priming pump
- Lift up to 9.8-feet
- Automatic operation when turning on the tap
- 4-year warranty
- Low power consumption and 3.3-GPM flow rate
Wayne WLS200 Sprinkler Pump
Wayne is one of the top brands in home pumping systems. This lawn sprinkler model is a permanent pumping solution for your yard. Assembled in the USA, you can expect top-level performance from this pump and extended service life.
This pump comes with a professional-grade design, delivering high levels of performance with less noise. The Wayne series of home lawn sprinkler pumps offer you extended pump life, thanks to high-quality build components.
The thermoplastic impeller produces 3,950-gallons per hour, operating at 30-Psi. The 2-HP motor features powerful operation, allowing you to connect up to 40 sprinkler heads and multiple watering zones.
The self-priming action makes it suitable for use in automatic sprinkler systems. This model comes with a thermoplastic casing for durability and long service life.
- Cast-iron design
- Oil-filled motor
- 30-PSI with 3,950-GPH
- Rugged design with a high-power operation
- 2-HP motor with high efficiency
- Easy installation
Wayne PLS100 Sprinkler Pump
This Wayne model is another excellent choice in the range. This model features a convenient carry handle, making it suitable for use in portable pumping applications. Wayne models are compatible with most sprinkler systems, featuring a 1.5” outlet that fits most sprinkler connections.
This model comes with a 1-HP motor, providing plenty of power and pressure to your sprinkler system. This model can operate up to 25 sprinkler heads in multiple watering zones, offering you up to 20-feet of lift.
It’s a great choice for gardens on slopes, and smaller yards, with a ¾” adapter, included with your purchase. This model comes with a stainless steel housing, offering excellent corrosion resistance and high-performance in all weather conditions.
You get automatic thermal overload protection on this sprinkler pump. The Wayne PLS100 comes with operating pressures between 30 to 50-Psi, with flowrates of up to 720-gallons per hour.
- Professional-grade equipment
- Durable with extended pump life
- Up to 20-feet of lift
- 1-HP motor
- Stainless steel design
Simer 3415P Spinkler Pump
Simer is a top brand in home watering systems and pumps. This model is an excellent choice for homeowners and landscapers looking for professional-grade equipment. This model comes with a thermoplastic housing for weather and UV resistance in outdoor settings.
You get a 1.5-HP motor offering high-power performance and up to 67-gallons per minute. The thermoplastic impeller offers high-temperature operation and extended service life for the pump. With this model, you get a 1.5” discharge pipe size for compatibility with all sprinkler system pipework and connections.
This model includes a lightweight design with quiet operation. This Simer pump comes with a self-priming action for use in automatic watering systems, and you get a 20-foot lift that’s ideal for pumping uphill.
- Corrosion-resistant thermoplastic housing
- UV-resistant materials
- High-temperature operation
- 5” discharge outlet
- 5-HP motor
- 20-foot lift
- Lightweight design
Flotec FP5172 Pump Sprinkler
This Flotec model is a great choice for your yard. You get a powerful 1.5-HP motor, providing 47-Psi operating pressures and 67-GPM flowrate. This model can provide enough pressure to run up to 30 sprinkler heads in multiple watering zones.
The self-priming operation makes it suitable for automatic watering applications, and the thermoplastic impeller provides a long service life to your pump. The housing features design and construction with hardened plastic for durable use and UV-resistance.
This model comes with a multifunctional design for watering systems and in water transfer. You get a 20-foot lift with this pump, making it ideal for pumping uphill. You get a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on the pump.
- Thermoplastic housing
- Lightweight design
- 5-HP motor
- Corrosion-resistant housing
- High-capacity operation
Lanchez Portable Sprinkler Pump
This Lanchez sprinkler pump is an excellent balance between affordability, high-quality design, and performance.
With this sprinkler pump, you get a stainless steel housing for corrosion resistance and durability. The aluminum body features a carry handle, making it an ideal portable solution to take around the yard or the job site for easy water transfer.
This multifunctional model comes with a self-priming design, making it ideal for use in automatic watering systems. The durable thermoplastic impeller ensures long service life and top-level performance.
This model operates with a 1.,6-HP motor producing operating pressures of 65-Psi. This model gives you the performance of a 2-HP pump, with an affordable price tag. This model comes with a flame-retardant control box and thermal overload protection.
- 6-HP motor
- Corrosion-resistant housing
- 26-foot lift
- Easy-carry handle
- Efficient operation
Homdox Sprinkler Pump
This Homdox model is a great choice for a sprinkler pump for your yard. This model comes with a multi-functional design for sprinkler systems or water transfers. You get a stainless steel head protecting the thermoplastic impeller and a 1.6-HP motor providing powerful sprinkler performance.
This model offers a 66-Psi operating pressure, featuring outputs of 845-GPH. It’s a great choice for smaller gardens, providing enough pressure to run up to 25-sprinkler heads and multi0ple watering zones.
The aluminum body ensures the motor runs cool, and you get a thermal overload switch included with this model. This model can pump pressure heads up to 23-feet, with a self-priming operation for use in automatic watering systems.
The pump runs quiet, thanks to the rubber frame mountings that absorb vibration. This model includes a one-year manufacturer’s warranty on your purchase.
- 6-HP motor
- 23-foot lift
- Portable carry-handle
- Automatic on-off operation
- Stainless steel design
The Blue Store Self-Priming Misting Pump
This model comes with a specific design for use in misting systems. You get a high-power, high-pressure system, offering pressures up to 145-Psi. This model comes with compatibility for 3/8” hosing and 12-Volt operation.
This model is the ideal choice for smooth, consistent flow rates, and the rubber bracket absorbs vibration while in use. The flexible diaphragm in this model allows for dry running without damaging the motor.
This model comes with a thermoplastic impeller for durable use and extended service life. You get a plastic body with a lightweight design for easy fitment. This model comes with a sealed design for high performance, and it’s a great choice for your greenhouse.
- Specialist design for misting
- 145-Psi operation
- Compatible with 3/8” flexible hosing
- Professional design
- Rubber brackets absorb vibration
- Thermal protection and smooth operation
Other Best Selling Options
- LAWN SPRINKLER PUMP: Red Lion non-submersible self-priming lawn sprinkler pump features a 2” FNPT suction intake and 1-1/2” FNPT outlet discharge; 1-1/2 HP pump can draw up to 71 gallons per minute at 10 PSI
- CAST IRON CONSTRUCTION: Rugged cast iron casing and pump base for long life and high-efficiency thermoplastic impeller and diffuser for durability
- HEAVY DUTY MOTOR: The heavy-duty single-phase motor runs on either 115 or 230 volts for plenty of water movement and has a working maximum pressure of 44 PSI
- HIGH VOLUME WATER DEMANDS: This pump is easy to prime up to 25 feet high and is fantastic for transferring high volumes of water from a lake or pond, or well; This pump can handle up to 14 sprinkler heads with ½” fittings
- HEAVY DUTY MOTOR: The CSA approved heavy-duty motor runs on either 115 or 230 volts; Includes a capacitor for increased starting power
- Assembled in the US with foreign and domestic parts
- Pump dimensions – 17.5” L x 8” W x 12” H | Motor – 120/240V PSC Oil-Filled | Discharge - 1 1/2 in. | Performance – 1.5 HP - Max Flow 4350 @ 15PSI
- Dual Voltage 120 V / 240 V
- Features 1.5 HP | Max flow rate at 5 feet / 30 PSI – 2950 Gallons Per Hour | Max flow rate at 10 feet / 30PSI – 2750 GPH | Motor is factory set to 240 Volts
- Designed to operate underground sprinkling systems, draw water from wells, lakes or ponds for watering, pool filling or any applications where high water volume is needed
- Ideal for sprinkler zones, drawing water from a lake or pond, or moving large volumes of water
- Constructed of corrosion-resistant, reinforced thermoplastic. Self-priming after pump is initially filled.
- Moves water at 47 GPM at 0' of lift with maximum lift of 20'
- Heavy-duty, 115/230V dual voltage motor, preset at 230 volts
- 1-1/2" NPT Suction and Discharge size. Requires a check or foot valve, sold separately.
- 1.6HP motor can deliver water up to 164ft. The powerful suction can reach Max.Flow 1320GPH at 5ft of head and well depth up to 26ft. As providing high flow and pressure for irrigation and clean water transfer, this lawn pump is economical and durable with an energy efficient motor
- Since this irrigation pump has an easy-to-carry iron handle, you can take it in a variety of environments such as lawns, gardens, farms, etc. Stainless steel casing and aluminum motor housing ensure durability and corrosion resistance. Waterproof On/Off switch. Low noise and easy installation
- When the water inside the pump runs out, it will shut off automatically to protect the motor. Built-in automatic thermal overload protection will prevent the motor from overheating and burning. This manual garden pump is self-priming and remember to turn off the switch after use
- It is also compatible with a pressure regulator and can work as a pressure booster pump. 1" NPT discharge and suction with 3/4" garden hose adapter, easy to install. The garden pump features carbon ceramic mechanical seal which can prevent water leakage effectively and provide long service life
- The electric water pump is ideal for sprinkler systems, irrigation, water transfer for daily use, drawing water from shallow wells, ponds, lakes, rain barrels, water tanks, etc. This product comes with a TWO-YEAR warranty. Aquastrong customer service provides the professional advice on installation and maintenance
- 🌊【Garden Sprinkler Pump】Featured with a stainless steel housing, waterproof on/off switch, and portable handle, this sprinkler booster pump is easy to carry and storage. Including two 3/4" standard garden hose adapters for easy installation.
- 🌊【1 HP High Power High Efficiency】The shallow well pump has a Max. Flow Rate of 900 gallons per hour, Max. Lift Head up to 144 ft and Max suction depth 26 ft. Sprays output flow up to 350 GPH at 40 PSI.
- 🌊【Wear Resisting Seal Material with Thermal Protection】Wear Resistant Seal Structure can bring better and long lasting work to the pump, overheat protection ensures that the pump will not be burned out.
- 🌊【Easy Maintenance and Rust free】Corrosion-resistant stainless steel construction for durability and easy to clean after use. Dedicated priming&drain ports with rotary knob design allow you to prime water (before use) and clean remaining water (after use) without any tools.
- 🌊【Widely Use】Max 65 PSI water pressure output makes this water pump perfect for irrigation or water transportation. It's designed to work only with CLEAN WATER. Sutiable for ponds, pools, shallow, wells, sprinkling systems, irrigation systems, agriculture, gardening, rain barrels, and large aquariums. The pump is also compatible with a pressure regulator and work as a booster pump.
Sprinkler Pump Buyer’s Guide
A sprinkler pump is a must-have item for any home irrigation system. If you’re new to sprinkler pumps, you need to understand how these machines function as part of your sprinkler system setup. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about choosing the best sprinkler pump for your yard.
How to Choose a Sprinkler Pump for Your Home Irrigation System
If you’re having trouble picking the right pump for your irrigation system, follow the guidelines in this section to settle on the ideal pump. The following five factors determine which model is the best choice for watering your garden.
Sizing your Sprinkler Pump
It would help if you sized the right pump for your watering tasks. If you have a small yard and you’re running less than 10-sprinkler heads, going with a powerful 2-HP motor isn’t necessary. All sprinkler heads come with a Psi and GPM rating, and that should help you settle on the right flow rate and pressure for your new pump.
As an example, a 40-Psi sprinkler head requires a flow rate of at least 3.8-gallons per minute. If the sprinkler pump motor has a 12-GPM rating, it can easily power three sprinkler heads. If you’re using a high-pressure system, you might need to install a pressure regulator to customize your sprinkler heads’ flow rate.
If you have a larger garden, going with a powerful pump is a better idea. A 2-HP pump producing 70-gallons a minute can power up to 40 sprinkler heads without experiencing a drop in performance.
The Location of the Pump
Where you locate your pump in your yard plays a big role in choosing the right system. When choosing the right sprinkler pump for your garden, you need to consider the pumping height (lift) and the watering system’s distance.
The pump’s lift refers to the pressure head the pump can handle before it starts to reduce efficiency. For instance, you have a sloped yard, and you need to push water up a hill. The distance from the hill’s base where you house your pump to the top of the hill refers to the pressure head.
If the hill is 10-feet high, you’ll need a pump that can match this in the lift.
The distance from the pump to the sprinkler heads also plays a role in your sprinkler system’s performance. The length of the discharge pipe and the diameter also make a difference in your pump’s performance. If you’re having trouble with the setup, call a professional for assistance.
The pros know how to increase the discharge pipe size as the distance increases, ensuring the irrigation system’s proper performance at all distances from the pump house.
Some pumps may also make a decent amount of noise. Installing them in a pump house reduces the noise levels and protects the pump casing from corrosion.
When irrigation systems stop watering, they might pull a small amount of air into the system. This air creates pockets that reduce the performance of the pump. As a result, you might find it takes several minutes for the air to work its way out of the irrigation system, and the sprinkler heads start flowing.
A self-priming pump takes care of this problem. With a self-priming model, the system bleeds the air by using buoyancy and compression principles.
However, the casing must have water in it before starting the priming process. If you run a pump “dry,” it results in damage to the impeller and motor. Some models come with dry-run functionality, meaning they are suitable for dry priming without damaging the internals.
Casing and Impeller Materials
Sprinkler pumps remain outdoors throughout their service life. Therefore, the casing plays a critical role in the longevity of the machine. The top models in this review feature design and construction with the following materials.
- Cast-iron – This material is durable and impact resistant. Cast-iron models suit heavy-duty use, and they all come with powder-coated surfaces. The coating prevents the materials from rusting and reducing the service life of the pump. However, cast-iron is heavy, and you’ll need to consider the weight and how it impacts your installation.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless offers the best corrosion resistance. This high-strength material is suitable in coastal applications when the salt air can cause corrosion on the pump’s motor parts. Stainless steel is more expensive than cast-iron, buts it’s a premium, durable material for your pump casing.
- Thermoplastics – High-quality pump brands use thermoplastics for the impeller, allowing the pump to run at high temperatures without damaging the seals in the motor. Some manufacturers also produce pump casings using thermoplastics, providing high wear resistance properties while keeping the casing lightweight.
The power supply on your sprinkler pump is another important consideration when choosing a prospective model.
Most sprinkler pumps come with a dual-voltage system for use at 230 or 115-volts. Residential sprinkler pumps with motors under 2-HP can run off your home’s electricity supply. It’s when you start going above 3-HP that you need to consider three-phase power supply options.
Do I Need Professional Installation for My Sprinkler Pump?
If you’re replacing an old pump, then it’s possible to install the new model yourself if you have basic handy-skills. However, you’ll need to ensure you’re confident working with electrical systems around your home.
If you don’t have any tools available, or you have no handy skills, it’s a good idea to call the professionals. A professional installation comes with a guarantee on the work, ensuring your system works right from the first watering session.
If you’re installing a complete irrigation system, it’s a good idea to work with a professional installer. A home irrigation system can be complex, and with a professional fitment, you know you’re getting the work done the right way.
Will I Save Money on Watering My Garden Using a Sprinkler Pump?
If you size the pump right and use an efficient watering controller, a pump can save you money on watering your garden.
The water-saving function of a home irrigation system has more to do with the controller and the sprinkler heads than the pump. The pump acts as the delivery system, working on the command of the controller.
Sprinkler Pump FAQs
How do I know if my sprinkler pump is losing its priming action?
Leaks in the seals around the shaft seal and pump line can cause a loss in the self-priming action of your sprinkler pump.
Obstructions in the line or sprinkler heads are also possible causes of loss in priming action. If you notice a loss in the priming action, clean the sprinkler heads, and run the system again before assuming it’s the pump.
How long does a sprinkler pump last?
It depends on how you maintain the machine and the brand you buy. Investing in a product like the Red Lion or ECO-FLO ensures you get a hassle-free service life that lasts ten to 15-years. When the pump fails, refurbishment is cheap, and your pump is brand new again.
However, cheaper models might not have the same service life, and some might not even last 5-years. All the models in this review come from high-quality manufacturing brands.
How long does it take a self-priming sprinkler pump to reach optimal working pressure?
Most self-priming pumps offer instant operation when you turn on the water. However, some systems might experience air bubbles and pockets in the line and take longer to prime. If that’s the case, you’ll have to bleed the air from the lines using the discharge value on the pump, if your pump has one.
Where can I buy a sprinkler pump?
We recommend you pick up your sprinkler pump from Amazon, the world’s largest marketplace. Amazon offers you the best range of models at the best price you’ll find online.
With Amazon, you get buyer protection on your order and fast, free shipping. If there’s anything wrong with your pump, Amazon offers hassle-free returns and exchanges.
Sprinkler Pumps – The Verdict
Sprinkler pumps are essential equipment for running your home irrigation setup. Without a pump, you can’t pressurize the system, and the sprinkler heads furthest away from the water source underperform. We selected the best sprinkler pump models for this review, giving you the best range available.
By now, you should have an idea of the best sprinkler pump for your irrigation system. However, we understand it’s challenging to settle on a final model, especially if you don’t know much about pumps. If you’re still on the fence with your purchase decision, why not go with one of our top picks?
- The ECO-FLO Products Self-Priming Irrigation Pump is our top choice for the best overall sprinkler pump in this review. You get a 2-HP motor with powerful self-priming action that’s suitable for use in automatic watering systems. This model includes a cast-iron and stainless steel construction, with a high-powered action ideal for the largest home irrigation systems. This pump operates at 45-Psi, producing 70-gallons a minute.
- The Red Lion RL-SPRK150 Sprinkler Pump is our choice for the best premium model in this review. You get a 1.5-HP motor that’s suitable for running more than 30-sprinkler heads across multiple watering zones. There’s self-priming action for use in automatic watering systems and over 20-feet of lift for use on sloped gardens. You get a cast-iron body for durability and a thermoplastic impeller for high-temperature service. This system runs at a working pressure of 44-Psi, producing 71-gallons a minute.
- The DC HOUSE 33-Series Industrial Water Pump is our pick for the best budget buy in this review. You get a self-priming action and a 9.8-foot lift. This model comes with adjustable working pressures between 17 to 60-Psi, with the factory setting at 45-Psi. This model is a great choice for smaller yards, with flow rates of 3.3-gallons per minute.