With an automated underground watering system, you never have to worry about watering your flowerbeds or lawn ever again. The entire system runs on a remote control, and a smart system lets you control your watering schedule directly from an app on your phone.
When setting up your equipment list for your new watering setup, there’s a bunch of items to include. You’ll need a sprinkler controller and all the piping required to install and operate the system. The sprinkler heads are a vital component of your new watering set up, and they require careful consideration when picking the right model for your garden.
In this post, we’ll unpack our choices for the best sprinklers heads.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Sprinkler Heads Reviews
- 2.1 Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 4-Pack
- 2.2 Orbit Voyager II
- 2.3 Toro 53816 3-Inch Sprinkler Head
- 2.4 Hunter PGP-adj Rotor Sprinkler Heads – 4 Pack
- 2.5 K-Rain Pro-S 4″ Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
- 2.6 Hunter Industries Hunter Pro 4″
- 2.7 Orbit 55201 Pulse XL Sprinkler Head
- 2.8 Orbit 54054 Brass Shrub Sprinkler Head
- 2.9 Orbit 54242 400-Series Professional Sprinkler Head
- 2.10 Rain Bird Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Sprinkler Heads Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Sprinkler Heads FAQs
- 6 Sprinkler Heads – The Verdict
Sprinkler heads come in a variety of versions and sizes, with adjustable spray angles and ranges. There are hundreds of models available online from dozens of manufacturing brands. We spent hours digging through online listings to find the best products for our review, and we settled on these top-10 models.
From our top-10, we selected these three products as our top picks for the best sprinkler heads. We have models to suit any size yard, commercial or residential application, and any budget. Choose the model that’s right for you, and automate your watering duties this summer.
Best Pick: Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 4-pack
- Exclusive triple blade wiper seal for leak resistant use
- Ideal for residential, light commercial, and commercial use
- Rotates from 40 to 360 degrees
- Heavy duty cover for extra durability
- Pressure activated, triple blade, and multi function wiper seal assures positive pop up and retraction
Rain Bird is a top brand in automated watering systems and components. This 4-pack of Series-5000 sprinkler heads is our choice for the best overall sprinkler head in this review. You get a triple-wiper blade seal, preventing perishing and leaks while protecting the system from dirt and debris. This model comes with four sprinkler heads in a pack, featuring eco-friendly sand efficient watering. You get an adjustable spray angle from 40 to 360-degrees, with a spray range between 8 to 15-feet. They’re a good choice for flowerbeds, with a 4-inch pop-up height.
Premium Pick: Orbit Voyager II
- Longest spray distance: sprays adjust from a 25- to 52-foot radius, the longest distance in its class.
- Compatible design: perfect replacement for old, failing, or inefficient sprinkler systems and is compatible with all major brands of gear-driven rotor sprinklers.
- Area coverage: Ideal for medium to large lawns. 3/4" FPT INLET SIZE
- Bonus nozzles included: customize each sprinkler for equal yard saturation. Pre-installed with a 3 gallon per minute nozzle, which can be switched as needed.
- Adjustable coverage: comes with a key to easily adjust spray coverage from a partial section to full 360° watering.
Orbit is the winner of the best premium sprinkler head in this review. With this model, you get the best-in-class spray range and performance, offering an adjustable range up to 52-feet. It’s an excellent choice for professional landscaping projects and the largest lawns or flowerbeds. This Orbit model comes with 0 to 360-degree spray angles, with an enclosed body design to prevent dirt from entering the unit. The sprinkler head also features a filer screen for dirty water and leak-resistant seals for long service life and eco-friendly watering.
Budget Pick: Toro 53816 3-Inch Sprinkler Head
- 15 square-feet spray coverage
- Ratcheting riser enables the direction of the spray pattern to be adjusted and maintains placement during pop-up and retraction
- Superior seal resists corrosion to prevent water waste
This Toro model wins our best budget buy in this review. You get an affordable price tag and excellent performance from this model. You get a 15-foot adjustable spray range, as well as adjustable spray angles for 0 to 360-degrees. This sprinkler head comes with leak-free seals, heavy-duty return springs, a unique ratcheting riser motor for adjustable spray patterns, and fast return after watering. This Toro sprinkler head features a 3-inch pop-up design, allowing for the effective and efficient watering of your flowerbeds and lawn.
Sprinkler Heads Reviews
Choosing a sprinkler head for your new irrigation is challenging work. There are so many brands and products it leaves your head spinning after staring at listings for a few hours.
Now that you have an idea of our top three products let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other models that qualify for the best sprinkler heads for your garden this summer.
Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 4-Pack
If you’re looking for consistency and quality in your watering duties, we recommend going with the Rain Bird System. Rain Bird is a leading brand in home and commercial watering systems. This 5000-Series sprinkler head is another example of a top-quality product from the brand.
This sprinkler head features a patented triple-blade wiper seal, providing excellent leak resistance and long service life. This model includes a rotating pop-up head, reaching 4-inches in height.
The sprinkler head comes with an adjustable spray nozzle, allowing settings between 40 to 360-degrees. It’s the ideal system for watering flowerbeds or the lawn, with efficient flow rates that don’t cause pooling or run-off and less soil erosion for your garden.
The sprinkler comes with a thick, durable casing that’s leakproof and sealed against dirt to protect the drive motor. This model doesn’t produce any clicking sound, with a near-silent operation that won’t disturb your afternoon or drive your neighbors crazy.
The Rain Bird Series-5000 is a great option for residential and commercial landscaping projects, providing anti-clog heads with a pressure-assisted pop-up.
- Compatible with all sprinkler systems
- A good choice for mid-sized to large lawns
- Triple-blade wiper seal for leak resistance
- Pressure-activated pop-up
- 3-gallon per minute nozzle
- Rotation from 40 to 360 degrees
Orbit Voyager II
If you’re looking to automate your watering duties this summer, we recommend going with the Orbit Voyager II.
This sprinkler head features a 4-inch pop-up, with the best spray distance in its class. You get adjustable spray range from 25-feet to 52-feet, allowing for the effective and efficient watering of the largest lawns and flowerbeds.
This model includes universal compatibility with a range of sprinkler systems, with a ¾” inlet. You get a spray swing of 40 to 360-degrees for a complete watering solution for your flowerbeds or lawn. This model comes with a durable plastic body, featuring a filter for catching debris before it clogs the nozzle.
You get an adjustment for the spray diameter and range, with an adjustment tool included with your purchase. Orbit II comes with an enclosed body design, preventing debris from entering the system.
Orbit II offers an efficient flow rate, preventing run-off and soil loss. Its eco-friendly efficiency saves the environment and your water bill. There are extra nozzles included, with custom watering patterns allowing you to modify the sprinkler head to your watering requirements.
The gear-drive operation of this sprinkler head offers a near-silent function, with no annoying clicking sound. The water-lubricated gear system provides a long service life for your sprinkler head.
- 25-foot to 52-foot spray radius
- Longest spray throw in its class
- Compatible with all sprinkler systems
- A good choice for mid-sized to large lawns
- ¾-inch FPT inlet size
- 3-gallon per minute nozzle
- 360-degree watering
Toro 53816 3-Inch Sprinkler Head
A sprinkler set up in your yard doesn’t have to cost a fortune. This Toro sprinkler head offers you excellent value for money, and it’s a great choice for landscapers or homeowners.
Toro is a leading garden maintenance brand, and we enjoy its range of power tools for the garden. We’re pulling out our Toro leaf blower when the fall comes around. However, this sprinkler head is another example of a high-quality gardening product from a leading brand.
This model comes with an adjustable spray pattern and a 15-foot spray range. This sprinkler head comes with a pressure-activated pop-up and a 3-inch height for decent range on your lawn and flowerbeds.
The ratcheting riser system provides an adjustable spray pattern, and you get up to 360-degree watering for your garden. The superior seals prevent debris from entering the sprinkler head while offering leak-protection.
The Toro sprinkler head’s best feature is the price tag, making it affordable quality for your garden that excites homeowners on a budget.
- Economical choice for landscaping projects
- 15-foot spray coverage
- Ratcheting riser for adjustable spray pattern
- Superior seals for leak resistance
- Pressure-activating pop-up
- 360-degree spray watering
Hunter PGP-adj Rotor Sprinkler Heads – 4 Pack
The new Hunter models come with modern features such as clutch overrides to prevent gear-stripping in the motor. While that’s an amazing feature, the PGP-adj heads don’t have that design. You might be wondering if that makes this model worth buying – why not go for the newer technology?
The reality is that the PGP-adj features the original drive system that made the brand a household name in automated watering. The original Hunter drives offered unparalleled performance, with no competitors managing to offer such an effective, clog-free sprinkler experience.
With this model, you get a wide watering range, from 50 to 360-degrees, with a #7 nozzle pre-installed for watering your flowerbeds. The set comes with six extra nozzles for each sprinkler, giving you plenty of options for spray patterns. The set also includes a nozzle adjustment tool for easy replacement and adjustment of your preferred tip.
The Hunter PGP-adj is a great choice for flowerbeds and lawns, with a pressure-assisted pop-up and near-silent operation. These sprinkler heads offer you clog-free operation, with dirty-water tolerance on the internal gear-drive.
- High-quality brand
- Extra spray nozzles included
- Spray adjustment and cleaning tool included
- Adjustable spray pattern from 50 to 360-degrees
- #7 nozzle pre-installed
- No assembly required
K-Rain Pro-S 4″ Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
K-Rain is another trusted brand in assisted home watering products. This set comes with six sprinklers, making it affordable for residences and a great choice for reducing the costs of large landscaping projects.
While it’s an affordable sprinkler head, K-Rain doesn’t skimp on the quality. This model comes with a durable plastic body, featuring a leak-free design, with superior seals preventing debris and dirt from entering the system.
These sprinkler heads offer excellent performance. You get an adjustable spray range from eight to 15-feet, with a 0 to 360-degree sprinkler range for optimal watering of flowerbeds and lawns.
The sprinkler heads feature pressure-assisted operation and a rachet-riser with heavy-duty retraction springs for full retraction on lawns. The heads offer a near-flush fitment, making them suitable for lawnmower clearance.
These K-Rain sprinkler heads come with UV-treated inhibitors, enhancing service life, and microbe-resistant seals to prevent the riser components’ degradation. This model is an excellent choice for professional and affordable watering around your yard.
- 6-pack of nozzles suitable for mid-sized to larger gardens
- Good value for money
- Spray throw from 8-feet to 15-feet
- Spray pattern from 0 to 360-degrees
- Easy installation
- Treated with UV inhibitors for long life
- Heavy-duty retraction spring
Hunter Industries Hunter Pro 4″
As mentioned, Hunter is one of the leading brands in residential and commercial watering systems. The PGP series of Hunter sprinkler heads are the best-selling products of all time in automated watering systems.
The new design in the Hunter range of pop-up sprinklers features clutch-overrides in the drive gearbox to prevent pressure damage to your sprinkler heads. You get the same top-quality performance levels in this updated model, featuring compatibility with all Hunter nozzles.
The Pro-series comes with a 4-inch pop-up nozzle, allowing for a further reach into your flowerbeds, and you get an easy adjustment of the spray angle during the operation of the sprinkler.
Adjust the spray arc from 40 to 360-degrees to suit your flowerbed edging, and Use a small flathead screwdriver on the top of the sprinkler head to adjust the spray distance. You get a durable design that’s suitable for residential watering applications.
With the Hunter Pro series, you get affordable quality for your garden. Each sprinkler head comes with a heavy-duty recoil spring to bring the head of the sprinkler flush with the body, with no lag. You get chlorine-resistant seals to prevent perishing and a no-leak cap design.
- Professional-grade equipment
- Leak-free performance
- Extra-thick cap and body
- Compatible with all hunter rotator nozzles
- Fixed and adjustable arc nozzles
- Pressure-activated pop-up
Orbit 55201 Pulse XL Sprinkler Head
Orbit gets another honorable mention in this review for this XL pop-up model. This model is a great choice for the largest lawns in parks and golf courses. You get a massive 45-foot watering radius, making it the ideal choice for professional landscaping projects.
Orbit makes some of the best quality products in this review, and the XL pop-up is another example of its best-selling range.
This sprinkler head features a full-circle 360-degree watering pattern, with adjustable angles down to 40-degrees. There’s also a good choice for large estate flowerbeds, but they might have too much range for most residential properties.
However, the Orbit XL is an excellent choice for commercial applications, with a flow-through design allowing for multiple sprinkler heads linked in series. The system also includes chlorine-resistant seals for leak-free operation and easy installation.
This model includes dual ¾-inch and ½-inch threaded inlets for compatibility with most watering setups and extra nozzles for use in high or low-pressure sprinkler systems. It might be an expensive option, but you get outstanding performance from this Orbit model.
- 45-inch coverage radius
- Universal compatibility with sprinkler systems
- Extra nozzles included
- Flow-through design
- Dual 3/4″ and 1/2″ threaded inlets
- Anti-clog nozzles
Orbit 54054 Brass Shrub Sprinkler Head
We think that Orbit makes some of the best sprinkler heads available. This model is another example of a high-quality product from the brand. This sprinkler head is suitable for use in your flowerbeds, where it provides a low spray height to get water to your shrubs.
This model features a compact design, with ½-inch fittings that link to drip systems and complete sprinkler setups. These sprinkler heads come with an attractive brass finish, providing a different aesthetic to your garden.
The heavy-duty brass construction means these sprinkler heads last for decades, offering you excellent service life. You get an adjustable spray range from 0 to 360-degrees, with durable, leak-free seals.
These sprinkler heads are efficient, providing effective watering for your shrubs and flowerbeds without intruding on the visual with large pop-ups.
- Durable corrosion-resistant brass design
- Suitable for premium installations
- Low watering height Ideal for shrubs
- Adjustable spray pattern from 0 to 360 degrees
- ½” inlet threads
- 15-foot spray diameter
Orbit 54242 400-Series Professional Sprinkler Head
Orbit is back again with another premium product for this review. This model includes a pop-up design with a twin-spray nozzle, offering adjustable spray range and spray angle.
You get under spray-patterns with this model, leaving no brown spots on your lawn, making it a great choice for commercial applications like estates.
The durable plastic nozzle comes with full adjustment from 0 to 360-degrees, with leak-resistant seals and a high-impact plastic body for extended service life. This model is an ideal choice for professional landscapers and high-end homes.
It’s an expensive option but a great choice for lawn care and compatibility with most underground sprinkler systems.
- Durable rust-resistance brass nozzle
- Twin spray nozzle
- 2-inch spring-loaded pop-up
- Compatibility with standard 2-inch pop-up heads
- High-impact plastic body
- Adjustable flow rate
- Long service life
Rain Bird Professional Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
We finish off our review of the best sprinkler heads with this Rain Bird model. While it’s the final product in this review, it’s by no means a pushover. This model offers effective and efficient watering of your lawn, offering savings of up to 40% on your water consumption throughout the spring and summer.
This Rain Bird model is the ideal choice if you live in drought-stricken areas of the country like California. This model receives certification from the EPAs WaterSense program, making it the perfect eco-friendly sprinkler head for your yard.
With this Rain Bird Model, you get a 2-inch pop-up height, along with an eight-foot to 15-foot spray distance and adjustable spray angle from 0 to 360-degrees. This model comes with heavy-duty stainless steel springs for effective retraction of the sprinkler head after turning off the water.
This Rain Bird sprinkler head features a patented pressure-activated wiper seal and a tapered pop-up neck to prevent debris from entering the system during retraction of the sprinkler head.
- 8-foot to 15-foot spray distance
- 0 to 360-degree spray pattern
- 2-inch pop-up height
- Commercial grade equipment
- A great choice for landscaping projects
- Tapered pop-up neck
- Improves watering efficiency by up to 40%
Other Best Selling Options
- Covers areas from 20 Ft. to 40 Ft. radius in a part or full circle
- Anti-backsplash arm
- Works with most 1/2 In. impact or impulse heads
- 1/2 In. male threaded
- For outdoor use with cold water only
- 1/2-inch female national pipe thread inlet
- Provides 15 square-feet of coverage
- Zero-flush seal prevents flushing on pop-up to prevent start-up water loss
- Twin-spray nozzle—full distance spray combined with under spray pattern provides uniform watering and fewer brown spots.
- Durable plastic nozzle with flow adjustment
- Durable brass nozzle and high impact plastic body
- For outdoor use with cold water only
- Durable construction provides years of reliable use
- Six Spray Patterns - Whisper-Quiet, Long-Life Operation
- Unique Design - Outperforms the competition!
- 360-Degree Coverage- Easy-adjust tabs make it simple
- High-Impact Construction - Durable for years of use
- Flow-Through Spike Base - Connect multiple sprinklers in a series
- Spray nozzle with adjustable 0 to 360° pattern; spray distance from 2.9' -18.7'
- New! Version 5 is designed for Higher performance
- New! Design prevents debris clogs
- Compatible with all Rain Bird , Hunter, Orbit pop-up sprinklers
- Increase or decrease pattern with a small twist of textured center collar
Sprinkler Heads Buyer’s Guide
Installing an underground watering system in your yard is challenging. Most people don’t have the handy skills to pull it off themselves and end up spending thousands of dollars on installing the right system in their yard.
Therefore, you need to ensure you get the best sprinkler heads right from the start. Going to the expense of refitting poor-performing heads ends up adding to your installation and your frustration with the project.
However, once you have the right setup, you can expect years of hassle-free watering for your garden. After reading through the best sprinkler heads reviews, you probably have an idea of the right system for your yard.
In this section, we’ll tie everything together for you, giving you the knowledge you need to settle on your final model.
What are the Types of Sprinkler Heads?
Sprinkler heads come in a variety of designs. When you’re choosing the right setup for your flowerbeds or lawn requires you to understand the sprinklers functions and how they work.
A pop-up sprinkler involves a watering wand that emerges from the sprinkler housing. The watering wand can come in different lengths, depending on the manufacturer.
Most watering wands are between two to four inches in height. Pop-ups with long watering wands are typically the better choice for watering flowerbeds. The extended size gives you a better reach deeper into the bed.
A fixed design in your sprinkler head is a better choice for shrubs and smaller flowerbeds where you don’t need as much reach. Fixed sprinklers don return to a flush position on the housing. Therefore, they aren’t suitable for use on your lawn.
They typically have smaller connections in the ½” range, and they fit steel water pipes spread throughout the flowerbed. These models get more coverage around the base of the sprinkler, preventing dry spots.
Lawn Sprinkler Heads
Lawn sprinkler heads typically feature a shorter pop-up design, up to 2-inches in height. These models allow for longer spray throws for the watering of larger surfaces. They’re a good choice for golf courses and large estate lawns, making easy watering of large areas. However, they are typically more expensive and are part of a professionally fitted and managed watering solution.
Flowerbed Sprinkler Heads
Flowerbed sprinklers feature pop-up designs with longer necks reaching three to four inches in height. These sprinkler heads are thinner and offer full adjustment of the sprinkler range and angle. They’re typically more affordable than lawn sprinklers and have lower flow rates.
Hybrid Sprinkler Heads
Hybrid designs are suitable for both your flower beds and your lawn. Most of the models in this review feature a hybrid design, and they’re the best choice for homeowners that need a sprinkler head to cover all their watering needs.
What Do I Look for in The Best Sprinkler Heads?
- Durable Plastic Body – An impact-resistant plastic housing provides longer service life.
- Leak-Free Seals – Triple washer seals provide dirt-resistance and leak-free operation.
- Neck Design – Look for long slender necks for flowerbeds or short necks for lawns and hybrid applications.
- Adjustable Spray Angle – Look for models offering the right spray angle range. Most of the sprinkler heads in this review have up to a 360-degree adjustable spray angle.
- Adjustable Spray Distance – Your sprinkler head must offer you an adjustable spray range. The best-in-class models provide ranges up to 50-feet.
- Adjustable Spray Pattern Nozzles – Most sprinkler heads come with flexible water patterns. You might get an onboard adjustment or additional nozzles you replace to change the spray pattern.
- Spare Nozzles – Look for models that offer replaceable nozzles included with your purchase.
- Nozzle Adjustment tools – This tool provides quick adjustment and cleaning of your spray nozzles.
- Nozzle Materials – Plastic is the standard material used in the manufacture of spray nozzles. However, brass and stainless steel are also high-performance materials offering leading sprinkler head models.
- Service Life and Warranty – Check on the recommended service life of the sprinkler head. Top manufacturers offer warranty’s against manufacturing defects.
What are the Benefits of Installing the Best Lawn Sprinkler?
- Time-Saving Convenience – Autonomous watering of your lawn saves you time and money.
- Uniform Spray Distribution – A sprinkler setup ensures you cover every inch of the yard.
- Eco-Friendly Water Consumption – Sprinkler systems reduce water consumption while keeping your garden looking great. Look for models that offer the EPA WaterSense certification if you live in a dry climate.
- Customization – Adjust the sprinkler head throw and spray angle for custom watering patterns.
- Links to Sprinkler Controllers – Link your sprinkler system to a Wi-Fi enabled controller, and get full control over your weathering duties through your phone.
- Automated Operation – A watering system provides full autonomous watering of your garden, even when you’re not at home.
- Add Value to Your Garden – Installing an underground sprinkler system in your yard adds value to your home.
Sprinkler Heads FAQs
Can I mix and match my sprinkler heads?
It’s better to go with one brand. Products have different spray angles and spray distances, offering you a range of coverage options. However, sticking to one product for all your sprinkler heads ensures consistency in the system’s performance.
How many sprinkler heads can I add to one watering zone?
The average home with a 10-gallons-per-minute pressure can run around three sprinkler heads in each watering zone. Therefore, if you have a 6-zone system, you can fit up to 18-sprinkler heads around your yard.
How long do my sprinkler heads last?
Most sprinkler heads last between five to 15-years, depending on the brand, the build quality, and use of the sprinkler head. Water quality also plays a role in the early perishing of seals, especially in areas of the US with hard water sources.
Where do I buy the best sprinkler heads?
We recommend picking up your sprinkler heads from Amazon. You get excellent prices, fast delivery, and buyer protection on your order.
Sprinkler Heads – The Verdict
After reading through our buyer’s guide and FAQ, you should have a good idea of the right sprinkler head for your watering system. However, we understand that it’s challenging to choose from so many good listings.
If you’re having trouble settling on the best sprinkler heads for your garden, why jot go with one of our top picks?
The Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 4-pack is our top choice for this review’s best overall product. You get an 8 to 15-foot spray range, with adjustable spray angles between 40 to 360-degrees. The four-inch pop-up height makes them ideal for watering your flowerbeds, and you get triple-blade wiper seals protecting the internals of the sprinkler head from damage.
The Orbit 55662 Voyager II is our choice for the best premium model in this review. This sprinkler head features top-quality design components and a sprinkler range up to 52-feet for best-in-class performance. These sprinkler heads come with a 4-inch riser, making them ideal for commercial landscaping applications or estates with large flowerbeds.
The Toro 53816 3-Inch Sprinkler Head is a great deal for homeowners on a budget. This brand offers excellent performance, with adjustable spray angles and 360-degree watering. You get leak-free seals and a stainless steel return spring for optimal seating of the 3-inch pop-up head.