When watering your garden, you need to do it in the early morning or the later afternoon to minimize evaporation. That means you’ll need to ruin your Sunday morning watering the garden. Sure, watering is relaxing, but it’s getting in the way of that 8 AM tee time at the golf course.
Watering in the evening isn’t much better. After a long day of fun with the family or a relaxing afternoon on the couch with a good book, the last thing you feel like doing is going to the hassle of watering the lawn.
Fortunately, there’s an easy way to water your lawn, reducing the effort required in the task. An above-ground sprinkler system helps you water your flowerbeds and lawn, without the need to hand aground holding the hose. Plug-in your sprinkler system, and come back in an hour to a freshly watered garden.
In this post, we’ll unpack the best above ground sprinkler system models for your yard.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Above Ground Sprinkler System Reviews
- 2.1 Dramm Turret Sprinkler
- 2.2 Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler
- 2.3 Melnor Multi-Adjustable Lawn Sprinkler
- 2.4 Orbit Zinc Impact Tripod Sprinkler
- 2.5 Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- 2.6 Melnor Turbo Rotary Sprinkler
- 2.7 Melnor Multi-Adjustable Sprinkler Kit
- 2.8 Eden Rotary Sprinkler Set
- 2.9 Eden Oscillating Sprinkler
- 2.10 MaxFlo Rotary Sprinkler
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Above Ground Sprinkler System Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What Do I Need to Consider?
- 6 Above Ground Water Sprinkler Systems Features
- 7 Above Ground Sprinkler System FAQs
- 8 Above Ground Sprinkler Systems – The Verdict
We spent hours searching through online listings to find the best above ground sprinkler system. From our research, we created this list of top models for your yard. We have plenty of options for different sprinkler systems and something to suit any garden or budget.
Best Pick: Dramm Turret Sprinkler
- This turret sprinkler has 9 water patterns, perfect for lawn and garden care; plus great for kids This popular tool comes in six enticing colors and has a durable, heavy-duty metal base with molded hook for easy storage
- Accent your lawn with superior design and function with this sprinkler
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee for consumers and is available in six vibrant colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and berry
- Nine water patterns supply a variety of functions
- Heavy-duty metal base
The Dramm model wins our award for the best overall above-ground sprinkler system. This model comes in a range of bright colors to make it easy to identify on your lawn. The turret-sprinkler head produces nine water patterns, and it’s a great choice for the lawn and the flowerbeds. The Dramm garden sprinkler comes with a 75-year legacy of being the top choice for gardeners. This model features heavy-duty metal construction for extended service life, and you get easy and convenient storage on a pegboard, out of the way.
Premium Pick: Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler
- SELF-PROPELLED SPRINKLER: Create a custom path for the sprinkler to follow using your 5/8-inch garden hose.
- LARGE-AREA COVERAGE: Spray coverage up to 13,500 square feet along 200 feet of hose.
- THREE POSITION SPEED CONTROL: Select from high, low, or neutral stationary settings to control the saturation level of your lawn.
- ADJUSTABLE COVERAGE: Simply twist each spray arm to adjust the watering diameter from 15 feet to a maximum coverage of 55 feet.
- AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF: Use the ramp stop at any location along the hose length to turn off the sprinkler and prevent water waste.
This model wins our top spot for the best premium above-ground sprinkler system in this review. This model comes with a self-propelled design and large rear wheels with traction spikes to maneuver across your lawn. You get a spray coverage up to 13,500-square feet using a 200-foot hose. This model comes with three speed-settings and adjustable water coverage from 15-feet to 55-feet. A ramp stop comes included with the Orbit traveling sprinkler for the sprinkler’s easy shutoff when it finishes its watering tasks.
Budget Pick: Melnor Multi-Adjustable Lawn Sprinkler
- This slim yet versatile multi adjustable lawn sprinkler can be targeted to save water most by adjusting the water density and range
- Efficiently water your garden up to 30 feet (9 meters) distance with residential water pressure (60 psi)
- Made with high-quality rust-proof plastic. This sprayer can last season after season with proper Care
- Angle adjustable spray control allows for Customizing watering where you need. The angle can be set to 5 degrees for more narrow watering or 360 degrees for watering a circle
- Backed by a Melnor 2-year limited Warranty. Melnor stands behind its products. Need additional Information or assistance? leave a question/feedback below. We value your experience with us.
This model wins our award for the best budget above-ground sprinkler system in this review. This Mellor model includes a stake design for sturdy uses around the yard. You get adjustable water density and spray range, from 5-degrees to 360-degrees, with spray range up to 30-feet. This sprinkler’s plastic design is durable and weather resistant, and it comes with a standard 2-year warranty. This established brand has a 70-year history of producing top-quality watering products for your yard.
Above Ground Sprinkler System Reviews
Now that you have an idea of our top models let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll also look at a few others that qualify for the title of the best above ground sprinkler system for your yard.
After reading through the reviews, please stick around and check out our buyer’s guide. We have plenty of useful tips and advice on choosing the right above ground sprinkler for your garden.
Dramm Turret Sprinkler
This turret sprinkler from Dramm is our choice for the best overall above-ground sprinkler in this review. With this model, you get a durable steel construction that corrosion-resistant and unbreakable. If your dogs are always chewing on your sprinklers, then this model is an unbreakable choice.
The internal steel impeller produces nine different spray patterns, with a twist dial to set your preferred spray. You get an adjustable spray throw for coverage up to 575-square feet. This model includes a handy hanging hook, allowing for easy storage on your pegboard in your garage.
You get a choice of six different colors to match your garden décor and accurate watering patterns that don’t waste any water. This above-ground sprinkler is easy to set up and drain, with a lifetime guarantee on your purchase.
- Nine selectable watering patterns
- Coverage up to 575-square feet
- Accurate watering patterns
- Corrosion-resistant steel impeller
- Heavy-duty metal construction
- Convenient storage
- Available in six colors
Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler
Homeowners that are looking for the best premium above-ground sprinkler system will love this Orbit model. This sprinkler features a roaming design, moving along your lawn with its large treaded rear wheels.
The sprinkler features automated operation, docking into a ramp, providing auto-shutoff when it finishes watering your lawn.
This model is an excellent choice for larger lawns, and it comes with adjustable spray throw and coverage up to 13,500-square feet. This model moves thanks to water pressure, and there are no electrics involved in its operation. The adjustable throw provides coverage from 15-feet to 55-feet to suit your lawn and flowerbed watering requirements.
There’s a three-speed position control for accurate watering in any season. The hose acts as the track for this sprinkler, and the heavy cast-iron construction ensures that the water pressure doesn’t move it around during operation.
- Self-propelled action
- Coverage for 13,500-square feet
- Three speeds
- Adjustable coverage
- Automatic shutoff
- Large rear wheels for easy maneuverability
Melnor Multi-Adjustable Lawn Sprinkler
Homeowners looking for the most affordable above-ground sprinkler system will get the best value from this Melnor product. You get a plastic design that’s durable and fade-resistant. The lightweight and staked design allow you to move it around the garden and place it on the lawn or the flowerbeds.
This sprinkler features an adjustable spray range, allowing you to set it between 5-degrees to 360-degrees. You get a spray throw of up to 30-feet, with full adjustment. Switch the yellow lever to adjust your spray, and use the wheel on the side to set the angle.
This model includes a two-year limited warranty, and you can connect them in series. This above-ground sprinkler system is affordable and easy to set up anywhere in the yard.
- Adjustable throw up to 30-feet
- 5-degree to 360-degree spray range
- Stake design for easy setup on the lawn or in flowerbeds
- Rust-proof plastic design
- 2-year limited warranty
Orbit Zinc Impact Tripod Sprinkler
This above-ground sprinkler system is the ideal choice for contractors, estate managers, and agriculturalists. The tripod design gives you sprinkler an elevated spray position, allowing for more coverage and further throws.
This model comes with a coverage diameter of 5,670-square feet, with a watering diameter of 85-feet. You get a zinc-coated sprinkler head that’s corrosion-resistant and customizable watering settings to suit your application. Choose your spray angle from 0 to 360-degrees, and your customizable settings allow for precision watering of any area.
This model includes a diffuser screw and deflector shield to change the stream and distance of the sprinkler. The sturdy tripod features adjustable legs for operation on uneven surfaces, and the anti-backsplash arm provides the sprinkler with a consistent watering pattern.
- A good choice for landscapers and contractors
- Ideal for watering large estates
- A good choice for agriculture
- Anti-corrosive zinc coating
- Customizable watering settings
- Adjustable throw between 20 to 42-feet
Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
If you’re looking for a versatile above-ground sprinkler with plenty of range and functionality, this model is a great choice. Melnor makes some of the best above-ground sprinkler system available, and this unit is a great option.
This above-ground sprinkler is a great choice for lawns and flowerbeds. This model includes coverage up to 3,900-square feet, with four-way adjustment for precision watering of your garden. This sprinkler has a staked design, making it easy to move around and position anywhere in the yard.
This model comes with a Zoom control, allowing you to adjust the spray distance between 5-feet to 33-feet. This model includes a quick-connector attachment but doesn’t include the full connector kit for your hose. Melnor offers you a limited lifetime warranty on this product.
- Coverage for up to 3,900-square feet
- The ideal choice for watering lanes
- 4-ways adjustment for precision watering
- Zoom control for customized watering plans
- Lifetime warranty
Melnor Turbo Rotary Sprinkler
The above-ground sprinkler by Melnor is another excellent option for smaller yards. This model features a spray diameter of 70-inches, which is ideal for small lawns and flowerbeds.
You get six spray patterns included with the device, allowing you to adjust it from fan to full spay. This model comes with an adjustable spray range and 360-degree watering. This model fits quick adapters (sold separately) for a fast connection to your hose.
This model includes a turbo motor for efficient operation and extended service life. This model comes backed by the Melnor lifetime warranty on all manufacturing defects. The stake design makes it easy to move around the yard, and the durable plastic housing is weather-proof and corrosion-resistant.
- A great choice for smaller gardens
- Six spray patterns
- Turbo motor for extended service life
- Works with Melnor quick-connector products
- Compatible with all water management systems
Melnor Multi-Adjustable Sprinkler Kit
This Melnor above-ground sprinkler kit includes three sprinklers and a hose assembly. You get a flow-through design with this setup, for efficient and effective watering designed to work of household water pressures of 60-psi.
The intelligent design ensures that your hoses don’t bend or kink, providing effective watering at all three stations. The 15-foot hose length makes this setup an ideal choice for smaller flowerbeds or vegetable gardens.
This model’s standout design features three flowers acting as the sprinkler heads. The flowers come in three attractive colors to enhance the visual aesthetic of your yard.
You get flow rate adjustment, with coverage for up to 1,800-square feet. This set comes with a 2-year limited warranty from Melnor.
- Quirky flowerhead design
- Hoses don’t kink
- Covers up to 1,8000-square feet
- Stake design for portability
- 2-year limited warranty
- Hose connector kit included
Eden Rotary Sprinkler Set
This above-ground sprinkler from Eden is a solid choice for your yard. You get a turret design with this model, featuring a 360-degree coverage for your lawn and flowerbeds and an adjustable range from 5-degrees to 360-degrees.
This model includes four watering patterns for your lawn and flowerbeds, allowing for effective and eco-friendly watering of your yard.
The flow-through design allows you to connect it to multiple sprinklers, and you get quick-connection tips included with your purchase. This above-ground sprinkler system comes with a sturdy H-shaped base that won’t move around with the water pressure.
You get a honeycomb handle and lightweight design for easy movement around the yard. The connector system also features a lock to prevent any accidental disconnection of your hose during use.
- Adjustable water spray from 5-degrees to 360-degrees
- 75-foot coverage
- Four watering patterns
- Quiet operation
- Flow-through design for connection with other sprinklers
- Sturdy H-shaped base
- Quick connect adapter included
Eden Oscillating Sprinkler
This above-ground sprinkler system is a great choice for larger yards. This oscillating sprinkler features 18 self-cleaning nozzles mounted to an aluminum crossbar. This sprinkler has built-in jet cleaners, ensuring anti-clog functionality.
You get coverage for up to 4,0000-square feet, with user-friendly tab controls to adjust the sprinkler spray range. This model is the ideal choice for watering lawns. It has a wide coverage area and patented sealed turbo drive to prevent dirt from getting into the sprinkler.
This sprinkler comes with a quick-connect adapter for convenient use with your garden hose.
The lightweight but sturdy plastic frame is corrosion-resistant, and it won’t move around, even at the highest water pressure.
- 18-nozzles with coverage up to 4,000-square feet
- Clog-resistant design
- Patented Turbo drive
- Built-in nozzle-cleaning tool
- Aluminum arc tube for corrosion-resistance
- User-friendly sliding tab range
MaxFlo Rotary Sprinkler
This above-ground sprinkler system from MaxFlo is another top choice for your yard. You get an oscillating design featuring three sprinkler heads. The heads also feature adjustable watering angles to suit your application, and there are quick connector outlets and a flow-through design on this model.
The 12-built-in spray angles provide excellent coverage of areas up to 3,600-square feet. Each arm offers an adjustable spray throw of up to 33-feet. The connections are universal, working with all types of garden hose quick-connection systems.
The MaxFlo is a great choice for mid-sized gardens, and it’s an excellent sprinkler for use on the lawn or your flowerbeds. The stable base won’t move around, even with the hose at full pressure.
- 360-degree oscillating design
- 3-adjustable arms
- Spray distance up to 33-feet
- Compatible with all water connections
- Coverage 3,600-square feet
- Easy adjustment
Other Best Selling Options
- Three fully adjustable sprinklers to water right where it’s needed
- Two 15’ durable hoses for custom sprinkler placement
- Covers up to 1, 800 sq. ft. with gentle watering, great for the Lawn, flower beds, or vegetable gardens.
- Backed by 2 Year Limited Warranty. We stand behind our products.
- PORTABLE SYSTEM: A portable sprinkler system you can customize to fit your yard.
- CUSTOM LAYOUT: Perfect for hard-to-water, odd shaped areas
- NO DIGGING: Quickly and easily set up a sprinkler system for your yard without having to dig, secured with use of metal loop stakes (sold separately).
- FLOW-THROUGH TEE: Innovative design evenly distributes water to each sprinkler, giving you a uniform spray pattern.
- ADJUSTABLE NOZZLES: Each sprinkler waters up to a 24-foot diameter and is adjustable from a full to partial circle.
- Easy-to-install design, great for watering the lawn, flower beds, raised gardens, vegetable gardens and more. No tools required. Suits any landscape design or garden shape to fit your watering needs.
- The Flex Design Sprinkler Set includes: (4) fully adjustable sprinklers to place where water is needed, (1) 3-way hose connector, (2) hose connectors, (4) extensions to increase the height by 5 inches, and (1) 50 ft. standard hose (hose diameter: 1/2 inch)
- Each sprinkler features precise controls to adjust the spray angle, spray direction and water flow without moving the spikes
- Adjustable ARC circle ranges from 5˚ to 360˚ to control the spray angle
- Includes 4 extensions to increase the watering height and reach over taller plantings
- Powerful compact sprinklers hide in your lawn just like a contractor installed system
- Pops up with water pressure and automatically drops down when water's off so you can mow right over it
- Snap on hose from any direction and water up to 5000 square feet each
- Easy to install in minutes; set the spray pattern you want and forget it
- Includes 5 Sprinklers 5 hose connectors and 3 hose line �Y' splitters
- Ideal for landscaped areas and gardens
- Customize to your planting layout
- Self-piercing spike is easier to install than competitive units
- Adjustable spray nozzles for up to 12' diameter coverage
- Used for landscaped or vegetable garden areas
Above Ground Sprinkler System Buyer’s Guide
If you want to appreciate your garden more, stop doing relentless chores that drive the satisfaction out of the viewing experience. Watering your garden is something we have to do regularly to sustain plant life.
However, it can get in the way of your career, family responsibilities, and social life. If it’s been a hot day outside and you need to get home to water the garden, you might have to postpone going out with friends for dinner. That’s stress you don’t need in your life.
With an above-ground sprinkler system, your garden always has the water it needs to thrive. Watering by hand can take more than an hour if your garden is thirsty, and who has that kind of time these days? Sure, it’s a rewarding and relaxing experience, but we’re pretty sure you have better things to do, right?
An above-ground sprinkler system helps you with your watering duties. You can link it to your automatic watering system or use it manually. In this section, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about choosing the best above ground sprinkler system for your yard.
What Do I Need to Consider?
Above-ground sprinkler systems come in a variety of models to suit any size yard. However, you’ll need to order the right model to match your lawn and flowerbeds watering requirements.
Let’s unpack the details you need to keep in mind when deciding on the right above ground sprinkler system for your yard.
Assess Your Yard
The first step in choosing the best model is to assess the size and watering requirements of your yard.
Ask yourself these questions before deciding on a prospective above-ground sprinkler system.
- What area of the yard needs watering, and how much space does it cover?
- What is the shape of my garden?
- Are there any lawn structures or devices you can’t get wet?
- How many times a week do your water your garden?
- How much water do you use in a single watering session?
- What kind of water pressure do I have around my home?
The answers vary depending on your yard, your environment, and local municipal services. Makes sure you have the answers to all the questions before settling on the ideal above ground sprinkler system for your yard.
Above Ground Water Sprinkler Systems Features
Check the materials used in the design and construction of the sprinkler. Most models feature plastic parts, and that’s a problem if you have dogs.
There’s nothing that gives fido more satisfaction than chewing out your sprinkler. They break the sprinkler head and damage the sake, rendering it useless. If you have dogs, consider getting an all-metal design for added durability and service life. Steel models are corrosion-resistant, and they last twice as long as plastic models.
Your above-ground sprinkler system should feature an easy setup and user-friendly operation.
Look for models featuring a lightweight design with a sturdy base. A lighter model might move around under high water pressure.
Match the coverage of your prospective above-ground sprinkler to the size of your yard. You can mock out the area with string and stakes and then use a measuring tape to gauge the site accurately. Alternatively, you can take a rough guess of the area if you can judge distance well.
Some models measure the throw of the sprinkler, while others list the coverage diameter. Make sure it suits your yard. With turret and oscillating models, you get a portable design; you can move around your yard to adjust to shapes in your flowerbeds and lawns.
Fixed models come with stakes that drive into the ground, and some models have built-in hose systems. Most offer a portable design, allowing you to place them anywhere in the yard. However, a few models require a permanent fixture to your flowerbeds or lawn.
Check the settings on your prospective model, and examine the features before you buy. Most models feature adjustable spray length, and some come with multi-pattern spray functions. Choose a model that offers you practical spray patterns for your yard.
Types of Above Ground Sprinkler Systems
There are several different styles of above-ground sprinkler systems, and all of them offer a slightly different operation. They’re all great options for watering your lawn, with slight differences in function and setup.
- Spray – Spray models are the most common. They operate on household water pressure, with adjustable spray range and angles. These models typically feature a stake design.
- Oscillating – Oscillating models typically feature a bar that moves from one side to another, providing an adjustable watering angle. These models feature 16 to 20-holes in the bar, providing water jets for the sprinkler.Pulsating – These models pulsate water, using the jet to create momentum. It’s a popular choice for tripod sprinkler systems. These models are the best choice for farms and other large areas like parks.
- Stationary – A stationary water sprinkler system has a permanent design, designed as a fixture to your lawn, flowerbeds, or vegetable garden. The hoses and connections are above the ground, and these sprinklers typically come with a stake design.
- Turret – These above-ground sprinklers feature a turret that spreads the water out at a 360-degree angle. They offer adjustable spray ranges and angles to suit your watering requirements.
Mounting Systems for Above Ground Lawn Sprinklers
Above-ground sprinkler systems come in a variety of configurations and designs. However, you’ll find they all come with one of three basic mounting systems.
- Tripod – A tripod-mounted sprinkler system is a great choice for larger yards and estates. If you’re a property manager or farmer, a tripod design is the best choice, offering you the widest watering range. Tripods are also secure, and they won’t fall over in the wind or extreme weather.
- Staked – A staked design in your above-ground sprinkler system is another great portable option for use around the yard. These models feature a long stake that you drive directly into the ground. They offer an easy, secure setup for your sprinkler, anywhere in your yard.
- Portable Base – A portable base allows for the easy movement of the sprinkler around your yard. These bases have a wide footprint, preventing the sprinkler from flipping over when you turn on the water. Many of them come with an oscillating or turret design. They feature a lightweight design and are easy to store after use.
Why Do I Need an Above Ground Sprinkler System?
An above-ground sprinkler system simplifies your watering duties. There’s no need to waste hours of your week watering the garden when you can dedicate your time to more productive tasks around the house or in your career.
Above Ground Sprinkler System Vs. Below-Ground Sprinkler System
An above-ground sprinkler system offers you a better option for smaller yards. The cost of installing permanent irrigation for your lawn and flowerbeds is expensive. An above-ground option is much more affordable.
With an above-ground system, you can move it around the front and back yards with ease. There’s no draining at the end of the growing season, and you can pack the sprinklers away in your garage for compact storage during the winter.
Above Ground Sprinkler System FAQs
Does an above-ground sprinkler system require electricity for operation?
Some models do require an electrical setup. However, all the above-ground sprinklers in this review don’t require any power supply for operation. The impellers and moving parts in these sprinklers operate underwater pressure, not electricity.
How do I flush an above-ground sprinkler system?
When flushing your above-ground sprinkler system, start with disconnecting the hose. Stand the sprinkler up so that the hose connection is facing the ground. The water will drain, and you can pack your sprinkler away for storage when it’s dry.
How long does an above-ground sprinkler system last?
Depending on the model you choose, your new sprinkler system could last for as long as twenty years. Steel or metal models offer the best durability, with steel impellers and bearings designed to last. Plastic models offer the lowest service life, but you can expect to get between 5 to 10-years of service out of your plastic sprinkler system.
Where can I purchase an above ground sprinkler system?
We recommend purchasing the best above ground sprinkler system from Amazon. Amazon has the best product range and favorable prices. Prime members get buyer protection on orders, with fast, free shipping to your door.
Above Ground Sprinkler Systems – The Verdict
By now, you should have an idea of the best above-ground water sprinkler system for your yard. Water is a critical component for life in your garden, but there’s no need to spend hours of your time watering the yard each week.
Our choice of the best above ground sprinkler system models keeps your garden hydrated all summer, without spending hours with the garden hose. We realize that it’s challenging to choose between just a few options on this list.
If you’re still on the fence with your purchase decision, why not rely on one of our top picks?
The Dramm Turret Sprinkler is our top choice for the best overall above-ground sprinkler system in this review. You get a full-metal body, preventing damage to the unit, and your choice of six colors. This model produces nine different water patterns, with spray up to 55-feet. It’s a great choice for any size garden and stores away on your pegboard with its handy hanging loop.
The Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler is our choice for the best premium model in this review. You get a roaming design, covering up to 13,500-square feet. This model comes with large rear wheels featuring traction to maneuver on wet grass. Set-and-forget; the unit stops automatically after docking on the ramp.
The Melnor Multi-Adjustable Lawn Sprinkler is an affordable choice for homeowners. This model includes a spray range from 5-degrees to 360-degrees, with an adjustable reach up to 30-feet. This model stakes to the ground, and its plastic design is durable and fade-resistant.