We’ve dedicated hours to finding the best lawn edgers out there. After researching a variety of different models, reading through reviews, and comparing and contrasting the different options, we’ve narrowed down your options to the top 6 choices.
Below, you’ll find a detailed overview of our picks for each category, as well as a buyer’s guide that contains valuable information that can help you select the right lawn edger for your specific needs, and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about these landscaping tools.
With the information presented in this guide, you should be well on your way to finding the best lawn edger that you can use to keep your landscape in tip-top condition.
Top 3 Picks
- 1 Top 3 Picks
- 2 Lawn Edger Reviews
- 2.1 Best Pick: Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
- 2.2 Electric Pick: Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032
- 2.3 Budget Pick: Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel
- 2.4 Black and Decker 2-in-1 String Trimmer / Edger and Trencher, 12-Amp (LE760)
- 2.5 Ryobi P2300A One+ 9 inch 18 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
- 2.6 Worx Electric Lawn Edger and Trencher
- 2.7 Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S 11 Amp 3 Position Corded Electric Lawn Edger
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Lawn Edgers: Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Lawn Edger FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
If you are in a hurry, here’s our top picks.
Best Pick: Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
- Greater power with less vibration: 29cc, 4-cycle engine is powerful and produces less noise without the need to mix gas and oil!
- Easy 2-step start: advanced easy start technology simplifies starts to 2 steps: Prime and pull.
- Ergonomic handle design: Fully molded ergonomic handle comes with a mounted throttle and Idle controls for easier operation.
- HEAVY DUTY STEEL BLADE AND ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Heavy duty 9-inch dual-tipped steel blade cuts a clean edge along driveways and sidewalks. Choose from 6 different cutting positions up to 1. 75 inches.
- 3 transport wheels: designed with 3 premium transport wheels for added stability and control.
Electric Pick: Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032
- 12 Amp motor delivers powerful edging capabilities
- 7.5" double edged blade provides robust edging capabilities and longer wear
- Spring assist front wheel provides variable blade depth
- Adjustable auxiliary handle for added user comfort and control
- Integrated cord lock feature prevents accidental disconnect
Budget Pick: Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel
- 48-inch north american ash, lacquered handle for strength and durability
- Handy edger, keeps sidewalks clear of grass and weeds
- Clear-coated gray-steel finished heads
- Spray clean with garden hose, coat with silicone spray
- Tru-tough trupers best selling signature tool line
Lawn Edger Reviews
In this section of our guide, we provide a detailed overview of our top picks for the best, premium, and budget lawn edgers currently available on the market.
Best Pick: Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
If you’re looking for a top-of-the-line lawn edger, the Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Lawn Edger is the model that we strongly recommend you pick.
It’s the perfect blend of convenience and power all in a durable, reliable, and easy to operate package. With a double-edge blade, you can customize the depth you want choose to create that neat, clean edge for your lawn.
With a simple pull of a cord, you’ll be ready to add the perfect edge for your lawn and create the finishing touch for your landscape. The Craftsman E405 29cc lawn edger boasts an impressive 4-cycle gas powered engine, you’ll have no trouble adding a crisp, clean edge to your lawn.
With a double-edge blade, you can adjust the depth that it want to establish the ideal edge along your walkway, driveway, or garden beds.
A four-cycle, high-torque engine keeps this lawn edger rolling with ease; it also means that you won’t have to worry about the messy job of mixing together gas and oil, as the machine does the job for you.
The pull-start system makes getting this machine up and running a breeze; just give it a quick pull and you’ll be on your way to the perfect edges. It also has a push-button start option, which eliminates the need to rip the cord to start the engine, if you prefer; however, do note that the push start does require a 1,000 rpm drill in order to activate it.
This lawn edger is guided by three durably constructed wheels – one in the front and two in the back – complete with treaded tires, which makes handling the machine a cinch. You’ll have no trouble pushing it and creating straight lines along the edges of your lawn.
The third wheel at the front is what really sets this machine apart from other lawn edgers on the market, as it makes it so easy to establish and maintain an exact course along the edges of your lawn.
The double-edge, 9-inch-wide steel blade is extremely durable and reliable. It can easily cut through all types of grass and other plant growth with ease and maintains its sharpness for a long time. When the blade does wear down, you can easily sharpen it to maintain the efficiency of the edger. With a total of five cutting positions and an easy to operate height adjustment setting, you can edge over different terrains without breaking a sweat.
A cushioned, ergonomic, adjustable handle ensures your comfort while you’re operating the tool. Increased comfort means better control, too. A mounted throttle and idle controls round out the features on this top-of-the-line edger, and when you’re finished using it, you can easily tuck it away.
Overall, we were very impressed with the Craftsman E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger. Since it’s gas-powered, it’s extremely reliable, the dual sided adjustable steel blade can cut through even the densest roots, the ergonomic, comfort-grip handles provide great comfort, and the three-wheel design is easy to control over all types of terrain and around all kinds of corners.
The price is a bit on the high side, so it may be cost-prohibitive for some shoppers, but if you’re budget allows, we highly recommend this top-of-the-line lawn edger.
- Durably built
- Reliable performance
- Three tire-treaded wheels make it easy to control
- A 9-inch double-edge steel blade can cut through even the toughest roots
- Ergonomic, comfort grip, adjustable handles for increased comfort and efficiency
- Cutting height can be adjusted to six different positions with a max depth of 1.75 inches
- Produces minimal vibration and noise
- No need to mix gas and oil
- Weighing 29.8 pounds, it’s a bit heavy; however, thanks to the three wheel design with treaded tires, guiding the lawn edger is a breeze
- The price is on the high side and may be a bit too high for some
Electric Pick: Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032
If you aren’t looking to invest quit as much, but you still want a high-quality, reliable lawn edger that can get the job done and delivers great results, then we suggest the Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032.
It’s an electric edger, so you have a constant power supply and there’s no need to worry about adding gasoline or oil, and it features a powerful motor that can cut through tough roots and overgrowth with ease. And, thanks to the spring-assisted front wheel, you can modify the depth that the tool will cut into the edge of your lawn.
The Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032 is outfitted with a powerful 12-amp motor that can cut through tough overgrowth and dense, stubborn roots with ease.
The cutting position of the double-edge 7.5 inch blade can be adjusted, allowing you to create the look that best suits you for your landscape. The edger has a max cutting depth of 1.5 inches, so you can really achieve a professional-quality look.
The lawn edger offers a stick design, which simplifies storage. The height of the pole that guides it can be adjusted so that you can achieve the height that’s most comfortable for you.
There’s an adjustable auxiliary handle, which heightens comfort and provides greater control. The three-wheel design, which includes two wheels on the back and one in the front, makes it very easy to control. The fact that the front wheel is spring-assisted further increases your comfort while operating the edger and makes it easier to handle, too. The spring-assisted front wheel also allows for variable blade depth.
An integrated cord lock feature holds the power cord in place and prevents it from disconnecting, which not only ensures you have a constant supply of power, but also increases your safety.
Because Greenworks outfitted this lawn edger with an electric motor, it’s very lightweight, which increases handling and control, and also makes it easier to maneuver. Also, the fact that it’s electric, starting it up is a cinch; all you need to do is connect a power cord, press the start button, and you’re ready to start edging your lawn.
However, while you don’t have to pull a cord, you do have to make sure that you have access to an electrical outlet in order to operate this lawn edger, and the power cord could potentially get in your way. As such, this lawn edger is best-suited for smaller-sized yards.
If you’re on the market for an affordable, reliable, easy to operate lawn edger, the Greenworks 12 AMP Electric Corded Edger 27032 comes highly recommended.
This electric edger packs a 12 AMP motor and a 7.5 inch double-edged blade, so you can cut through even the densest roots and grass with ease and you’ll have no trouble controlling the tool.
An adjustable handle provides increased comfort and maneuverability and an integrated cord lock features prevents the cord from falling out and increases your safety. However, because it is electric, operation can be limited, as you do need to have access to a power source.
- Powerful 12 AMP electric motor can cut through all types of grass and weeds
- Features a 7.5 inch double-edge blade
- Three-wheel design, complete with spring-assisted front wheel
- Offers variable blade depth
- The height of the handle can be adjusted for increased comfort and maneuverability
- An integrated cord lock features prevents the power cord from disconnecting and increases safety
- Lightweight design
- Easy to story
- Affordably priced
- A few users said that the edger “chewed” their lawn instead of cutting it
Budget Pick: Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel
For the best budget pick model, we chose a pretty bare-bones basics lawn edger, but it’s extremely durable, reliable, and affordable. With the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel, you’ll be able to keep your landscape looking neat and clean without breaking the bank.
It’s a manually-operated edger, which means there’s no gas, oil, or electricity to deal with; this model relies on your own power to get the job done. But don’t confuse manual operation with a back-breaking work, because the Tuper Tough Rotary Lawn Edger features strong, sharp blades that can cut through all types of grass and weeds with ease.
In fact, you’ll actually have an easier time edging intricate curves along flower beds and winding walkways with this manual lawn edger than you would with a gas- or electric-powered model.
The Truper 32100 Tru Rotary Lawn Edger is outfitted with two wheels, which guide the sharp and durable clear-coated steel finished dual blades. A toothed blade rotates against a flat stationary blade and can cut through dense layers of grass and weeds with ease. It features a 48-inch straight handle that is constructed of North American ash, which is lacquered to preserve the strength and durability.
Operating this lawn edger is so easy. Simply place it along the edge of your lawn, grab hold of the handle, and start walking. As you guide the edger, the blades will dig into the ground and cut out the perfect edge along your flower beds, walkways, and driveway with ease. It creates clean, crisp lines each and every time.
Cleanup and storage is a breeze, too; just spray down the blades with a garden hose when you’re finished and store it in your garage or shed. Because of the simple design, there’s no muss and no fuss. And, thanks to the price tag, you won’t have to spend a fortune to achieve that finished look for your lawn.
If you’re on the market for a simple, no frills, and affordably priced lawn edger, the Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger with Dual Wheel is definitely worth considering. It’s a rotary lawn edger, which means it’s powered by you.
Since there’s no electric, gas, or oil to contend with, you don’t have to plug it in, gas or oil it up, or pull a rip cord to get it started.
The handle is durably constructed, as are the blades and wheels. The teeth on the blade can easily cut through dense roots and weeds, and cleanup and storage is a cinch.
- The simple and straightforward design is easy to use
- Features a durable lacquered North American ash pine handle
- Two wheels guide the dual cutting blades, including a toothed blade and a stationary straight blade
- Blades are clear-coated gray steel
- Can cut through thick roots and weeds with ease
- Simple to maneuver
- Can get into tight spaces and around intricate curves and bends
- No gas, oil, or electricity to worry about
- No-fuss maintenance
- Affordably priced
- It is manually powered, and while most will find the operation simple, some may find it taxing
- Some users said that it’s hard to use in damp soil, as mud clogs up the wheels and blades
Black and Decker 2-in-1 String Trimmer / Edger and Trencher, 12-Amp (LE760)
With the Black and Decker 2-in-1 String Trimmer, you’ll get two landscaping tools for the price of one: a trimmer and edger. The exclusive pull-up edge guide allows you to quickly and easily convert the tool from an edger into a trencher, so you’ll be able to keep your lawn looking neat and trim with ease.
A three-position blade depth adjustment allows you to control the cuts this tool makes into the ground. A build-in cord retention feature ensures that the extension cord stays securely attached to the edger so that you don’t lose power while you’re cutting.
The blade is easy to clean, thanks to the door placed on the guard, which allows for easy access. Powered by a 12 amp motor, which delivers high torque, and featuring a heavy-duty metal blade, you’ll have no trouble cutting through all types of growth, even the densest, deepest roots, so that you can create a perfectly defined trench.
The tool-free assembly means that you can put this edger together in seconds and start using it right away, and it comes complete with an additional heavy-duty edger replacement blade.
The Black and Decker 2-in-1 String Trimmer / Edger and Trencher 12 Amp LE760 is a lawn edger and trencher in one. It features a heavy-duty 7 inch durable steel blade and comes with an additional replacement blade.
Powered by a 12 amp high torque motor, it can cut through all types of overgrowth with ease. The exclusive pull-up edge guide changes the tool from an edger to a landscape trencher in seconds. Lightweight design for easy portability and affordably priced, this edger is a great tool for residential landscaping projects.
- An exclusive pull-up edge guide changes this tool from a lawn edger to a landscape trencher in seconds
- Powered by a 12 amp high torque motor for fast and easy edging and trenching
- A three-position blade allows you to adjust the depth of the blade so you can better control the cut
- Offers a built-in cord retention feature
- A hardened steel 7.5 inch blade cuts through even the densest materials with ease
- Some users said that it doesn’t offer as much power as they hoped it would
- Others said that it isn’t suitable for professional use; however, it is advertised for residential landscaping
Ryobi P2300A One+ 9 inch 18 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
With the Ryobi Ryobi P2300A One+ 9 inch 18 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger, keeping the edges of your lawn neat and clean will be a total cinch.
Since it’s powered by an 18 volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery, there’s no need to worry about reloading it with gas or tripping over a cord and having your reach limited, so you’ll always have a reliable source of power.
When the battery starts running low, it takes just one hour to fully charge it and you’ll be ready to start edging again.
With four-position adjustable depth-control allows you to control the depth of the cut. The 9 inch reversible edger allows you to work both forward and back to get the perfect cut. A front and rear wheel provides added stability so that you can easily guide it along the edge of your lawn and maintain a smooth line.
An over-mold, comfort grip handle and a lightweight design allows for easy portability so that you can get your whole lawn edged in no time.
The Ryobi P2300A One+ 9 inch 18 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger makes the job of edging your lawn and getting a perfectly kempt landscape a cinch.
There’s no gas to worry about refilling and you don’t have to worry about tripping over a cord. The 4 position adjustable depth control, a 9 inch reversible blade make using this edger a breeze. The only downside is that it doesn’t come with a battery or charger, so you will have to purchase those in addition to the edger.
- Powered by an 18 volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack
- No cords to worry about tripping over or gas to refill
- Battery recharges in just one hour
- Features 4 position adjustable depth control
- Boasts a 9 inch reversible edger blade
- It doesn’t come with a battery or a charger, so you will need to purchase them separately
Worx Electric Lawn Edger and TrencherThis lawn edger from Works doubles as a trencher and is powered by a 12 amp motor, which spins the 7.5 inch blade at an impressive 4,700 RPM, so you’ll have no trouble creating clean lines and edges and getting that professional-grade look for landscape.
A 3 depth adjustment feature allows you to select from 1 inch, 1 ¼ inch or 1 ½ inch depth as you go. A cutting line indicator helps you maintain a straight line to achieve even better results.
This edger features an adjustable shaft, which provides increased comfort, as you can achieve the perfect height for your needs. The handle is adjustable, too, which provides even more comfort and greater control. And, because the blade is made of heavy-duty steel and features serrated edges, you’ll be able to cut through all types of growth.
With the Worx WG896 12 Amp 7.5 inch Electric Lawn Edger and Trencher, you’ll be able to maintain your lawn’s edges and get that professional-grade look for your landscape each and every time. It’s durably constructed, offers a range of features, and is easy and comfortable to use.
- Powered by a 12 amp electric motor
- Features a heavy-duty steel serrated edge blade
- A line indicator allows you to maintain a straight line and achieve high-quality results
- The shaft is adjustable, so you can achieve the perfect height
- The handle is adjustable and pivots, too, for even more comfort
- 3 depth adjustment feature lets you control the cutting depth with ease
- Some reports of the blade loosening after some time
Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S 11 Amp 3 Position Corded Electric Lawn Edger
Powered by an 11 amp motor, the Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Corded Electric Lawn Edger can take on all of your edging and trenching needs.
A 7.5 inch blade, which has 3-position adjustable depth settings, can cut through even the thickest, most stubborn growth. An easy-set height adjuster turns the edger into a trencher in seconds and a cut line indicator allows for increased precision whether you’re edging or trenching.
A built-in cord retention feature keeps the power cord in place for increased reliability. No tools are required for assembly and get start using it within minutes. A two point safety trigger and three wheels – two in the back and one in the front – provides increased control.
With an 11 amp electric motor and a 7.5 inch heavy duty steel blade that offers 3 adjustable position depths, you’ll be able to keep your landscape in great condition with the Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S 11 Amp 3 Position Corded Electric Lawn Edger. It’s comfortable and easy to use and doubles as a trencher, too.
- Powered by an 11-amp motor that can cut through all types of growth
- Features a 7.5 inch heavy-duty steel blade
- 3 position adjustable blade depth settings
- Cord retention feature keeps the cord securely in place
- Doubles as a trencher
- No tool assembly
- Some customers said that they had issues with the cord retention feature
Other Best Selling Options
- POWER LIKE THE PROS: The 12 Amp motor spins the 7.5” blade fast and deep at 4700 revolutions per minute, giving you professional; looking lines and edges
- 3 DEPTH ADJUSTMENTS: Cut down at 1”, 1-1/4”, 1-1/2” depending on the task at hand
- CUTTING LINE INDICATOR: Stay on the straight and narrow with the cutting line guide you’ll notice a difference when you’re done
- ADJUSTABLE SHAFT: Users of any height can find a length and comfortable position that works for them with the adjustable shaft and D grip handle
- ADJUSTABLE HANDLE: the handle pivots for maximum comfort and control
- Manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- Adjustable to 5 depth positions up to 2 ½-inch deep
- Blade angle adjusts +/- 15 degrees for bevel edging capabilities
- Metal frame and blade guard for increased durability
- Triangular 3 point blade
- Note : includes the BLACK+DECKER LE750, EH1000 blade, and EB-007 . Item model number will be included in right bottom corner of the carton
- Exclusive pull-up edge guide converts from edger to landscape trencher
- Three-position blade depth adjustment lets you control the cut
- Built-in cord retention keeps Extension cord secure; Hardened Steel Blade: 7-1/2 inches
- Tool-free assembly is quick and hassle-free.RPM:4700 rpm
- [TRIMMER & EDGER 2-in-1] Easily converts from a string trimmer to a wheel edger in just seconds
- [INSTANT LINE FEED] Innovative push button Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding. Plus, Free Spools for Life
- [BATTERIES INCLUDED] 2 powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries come with this tool and can be used on any other tool in the WORX PowerShare family
- [HEAD TILTS 90°] So you can trim and edge on sloped terrain, and get to tough-to-reach places
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Do it all with WORX PowerShare, the only cordless tool platform that uses the same battery to power 20V and 40V tools
- Boasts a 12-Amp high-torque motor that can tackle tough overgrowth and create clean-looking trench
- Pull-up edge guide converts from edger to landscape trencher
- Uses-In Yard Trenching (Around garden beds, trees, borders), Outdoor Lighting/Invisible Dog Fencing Installation and Edging along hard surfaces (driveways, sidewalks, patios, etc)
- Tool-free assembly is quick and hassle-free
- Included Components: (1) LE750 Lawn Edger
Lawn Edgers: Buyer’s Guide
Like most homeowners, you likely aspire to have a lush, full, and healthy lawn; after all, the appearance of your lawn has a huge impact on the overall curb appeal of your home. In order to achieve your goal, you seed, aerate, and fertilize your grass.
You also use a top-of-the-line mower adjusted to the proper setting to maintain the perfect length.
But despite all of the effort you’ve put into maintaining a beautiful lawn, when you step back and look at it, it doesn’t appear as picture perfect as you want it to be. What’s missing? The answer could be a lawn edger.
A lawn edger provides the finishing touch to your meticulously maintained lawn, as it creates clean lines along the edges that separate it from your walkway, driveway, or flower beds. They help to prevent grass from spreading into these areas, too.
Of course, they also give your lawn and your entire landscape a cohesive and well-defined look. Yes, if you want to have the most perfectly kempt, visually appealing lawn possible, you’re definitely going to want to invest in a lawn edger.
There’s just one problem though: like so many other types of lawn and garden equipment, there are literally dozens of lawn edgers to choose from.
You want something that’s reliable, durable, and easy to use, but with so many different options, how do you go about narrowing down the choices and figure out which one will best suit your needs? The answer to that is simple: read through the following information!
The purpose of buying a lawn edger is to give your lawn and landscape a polished, professional look. With that said, you want to be sure that you’re purchasing the best lawn edger possible.
Whether you decide to purchase one of the lawn edgers featured in our review or a different model, tin order to ensure that you choose the right one for your needs, there are some important factors that you’re going to want to take into consideration.
The Size of Your Yard
The size of your yard is important, as it will help you determine what type of edger you should use and how much power you need. Typically, the larger your yard and the more edges it features, the more powerful you’re going to want your edger to be, as you’ll be able to get the job done quicker. If you have a smaller yard, however, a smaller edger would be a better choice, as you won’t need as much power to get the job done.
The Style of Edger
There are three main types of lawn edgers: gas, electric, and manual. Gas edgers are usually more powerful and faster, so they’re likely the better choice for a larger yard. If you have a smaller yard, an electric edger should do the trick just fine; however, you’ll have to decide if you want a corded or cordless edger.
Typically, corded electric edgers are more powerful, as they have a direct source of power; but, keep in mind that they need to be plugged into a power outlet, which can be limiting in terms of movement.
Additionally, a cord may also be bothersome, as it could fall out or you could trip over it. If you opt for a corded edger, pick one that features a cord lock feature, which will prevent the cord from falling out.
Lastly, there’s a manual lawn edger, which, as the name indicates, is powered by your own movement. You hold the edger in your hand and as you walk behind it, the blades cut through the landscaping material. The benefit of a manual edger is that you don’t have to deal with gas, oil, or electricity.
This type of edger is also easier to clean and usually, it’s a lot easier to move around winding and intricately-designed edges. On the downside, manual edgers aren’t as powerful as gas or electric models, and it will take longer to get the job done.
The best type for you really depends on your own specific needs, including the size of your yard, the layout of your edges, and how quickly you want to get your edging done.
It goes without saying, but it is worth mentioning that you want to choose a lawn edger that is constructed of durable, high-quality materials. The better the materials, the more reliable the tool will be, and the better the results you’ll get.
Plus, higher-quality materials last longer, so while you may pay a bit more for an edger that’s made of top-of-the-line materials, you can expect it to last longer, making it a sound investment.
Like all lawn and garden tools, lawn edgers can be outfitted with a variety of features. Options include dual blades, three wheel construction, adjustable blade height, and adjustable, ergonomic handles.
Typically, gas- and electric-powered lawn edgers offer more features than manual models, as manual edgers tend to be pretty basic and no-frills. Just like the type of edger that will work best for you depends on your specific needs, so do the features.
You can expect to pay more for a lawn edger that offers a variety of features, so consider which ones are important to you and if they will really make a difference; otherwise, if you buy an edger that boasts features you don’t really need, you’ll end up spending money unnecessarily.
Lastly, you’ll want to consider the cost of the lawn edger. These tools can vary in price from a few hundred dollars to less than a hundred.
Gas and electric edgers tend to be more expensive than manual models, and as we mentioned, those that offer more features usually have a higher price tag, too.
Determine how much you can comfortably afford to spend before you start shopping so that you don’t buy an edger that’s outside of your comfort zone and end up having buyer’s remorse.
Lawn Edger FAQs
If you’ve never purchased a lawn edger before, it’s likely that you have some questions about this tool. In this section of our guide, we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions shoppers have about lawn edgers.
The answers to these questions can help to guide you in the right direction so that you can choose the best lawn edger for your needs.
What’s the difference between a lawn edger and garden sheers?
Garden sheers are a vital tool for any homeowner who wants to keep their landscape in tip-top condition. They’re used to keep hedges, bushes, and other types of plants neatly trimmed and looking tidy.
While you could technically use a sheers to edge your lawn, it’s going to be a lot more trouble than it’s worth; and worse, you could end up damaging your lawn – and the sheers themselves.
A lawn edger is specifically designed to cut through the edges of grass and along the edges that flank your lawn, such as driveways, walkways, and flower beds. As such, you can expect a lot better results with a lawn edger.
With sheers, the edges likely won’t be even and you could potentially cut too deep into the roots and damage your lawn. Not to mention the fact that you’ll need to exert a lot more energy when you edge your lawn with sheers.
How do I sharpen the blade of a lawn edger?
You do have to keep the blades of a lawn edger sharp in order for the tool to work properly. With some models, in order to sharpen the blades, you’ll need to remove them from the tool.
Once they’re removed, you can clean them and then use a grindstone to sharpen them. With other models, the blades are easy to access while they’re still on the tool. If that’s the case, you can just clean them off and use a small grindstone to sharpen the blades.
Is using a lawn edger hard?
At first glance, operating a lawn edger might look complicated, but in reality, it’s a lot easier than it seems. In fact, it’s really no different than using a lawn mower.
Simple place the edger at the start of the edge of your lawn, start it up, and start walking forward; if you’re using a manual edger, there’s no need to start it up, just walk.
You can guide and maneuver the edger using the handle, just like you would a lawn mower. Once you get to the end of the edge, change the direction or stop. That’s really all there is to it!
What manufacturer should I choose?
If you aren’t sure which manufacturer to use, you’re best bet is going with a well-known brand name. Greenworks, Sunseeker, Ryobi, Sun Joe, Crafstman, Scotts, and Black and Decker are some of the best-known brands.
If you want to give your lawn a professionally landscaped, polished look, a lawn edger is an absolute must.
All the models we featured above are all great options to consider; however, if you decide that you’d like to purchase a different model, make sure to take the factors that we mentioned into consideration when you’re shopping so that you can find the best option for your specific needs.