Do you have a green thumb? If you’re a keen gardener that’s always looking for new growing technologies, you’re going to love material grow bags.
Whether your growing potatoes, tomatoes, or roses, grow bags can triple your yield without changing any other elements in your garden.
This summer, it’s time to set new records for your vegetable garden harvest. Get yourself a set of material grow bags and start planting.
The grow bags suit use in indoor and outdoor gardens, providing you with outstanding results.
In this review, we’ll look at the best plant grow bags available. We make our recommendations for our top picks, and give you a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make the choice that’s right for your garden and growing conditions.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Grow Bags Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Grow Bags Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What are the Benefits of Using Grow Bags?
- 6 Grow Bag FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
If you don’t have the time to read through our review and want the results right now, check out our top picks.
These plant grow bags are the best you can buy, and we rounded them up in three categories to suit any gardener’s needs.
- The Best Pick: Garden4Ever 10-Pack 1 Gallon
This plant grow bag features top-quality design and construction with premium materials. With reinforced sides and breathable walls, this grow bag is an excellent choice for flowers and vegetables.
The bag maintains its shape, and it’s easy to move around with its convenient handles. This model comes in ten different sizes to suit your gardening needs.
- The Premium Pick: Nicheo 3-Piece 6.5 Gallon
If you’re growing root vegetables like potatoes or beets, then the Nicheo 3-Piece set is your best option for a plant grow bag. These bags have sturdy, breathable sidewalls, with a Velcro tear hole in the lower half of the pot.
When your potatoes are ready, open the window and check your harvest before pulling. They make our top choice for the best premium grow bags in this review. It comes in a 10-gallon option as well.
- The Budget Pick: Vivosun 5-Pack 1 Gallon
If you’re on a budget and looking for the most affordable and effective plant grow bags you can find, check out the Vivosun.
This material grow bag features breathable sidewalls and convenient handles. The Vivosun model comes in 13-different sizes, and it’s affordable price tag make it a great choice for growing flowers or veggies.
Grow Bags Reviews
Now that you know the top models in our review let’s unpack them in further detail. We’ll also look at a few other options we think are good deals.
Best Pick: Garden4Ever 10-Pack 1 Gallon
The felt material on these grow bags features 300g nonwoven fabrics. As a result, you get a grow bag with sturdy walls that stands upright without additional support. That feature makes for easy fills, especially when you’re gardening by yourself.
The nonwoven felty material provides excellent airflow to the roots of your plants, providing exceptional temperature control and optimal growing conditions. You can expect plentiful harvests with the Garden4Ever 10-pack.
This material grow bag is washable and reusable, and they fold away for compact storage in the winter. The bags drain well, ensuring that the roots of your plants never have to worry about root rot. The Garden4Ever comes in 10 sizes, from 1-gallon to 30-gallon.
- Made from a reusable, durable, and washable fabric
- Breathable and lightweight
- Reinforced seams and sidewalls for easy filling
- Side handles for easy movement
- Available in a variety of sizes
- The handles might be small for gardeners with larger hands
Premium Pick: Nicheo 3-Piece 6.5 Gallon
Are you a vegetable gardener? Do you want to grow the most abundant crop of potatoes you have ever seen in your life? The Nicheo 3-piece bag set is what you need to get the biggest potato harvest ever. These material bags feature design and construction with high-quality nonwoven fabrics.
The bags have a stable and sturdy look and feel, and they come in two sizes, 6.5-gallon, and 10-gallon. You also have the option of three colors (we like green). The unique design of these bags features reinforcement on the sides, allowing you to move the bag around without crushing the sides badly.
That’s an essential feature for potato gardeners. Moving your bag around can stress your plant, minimizing your yield. The fabric breathes and drains readily, allowing for high airflow rates around your roots, adding up to bigger yields at harvest time.
When it’s time to harvest your potatoes or beets, open the convenient harvest window in the bottom half of the bag. Your rip off the Velcro window, and check if your potatoes are ready for harvest. These bags are washable and reusable, giving your years of successful potato harvests.
- The best premium choice
- An excellent option for growing root vegetables and tubers
- Bottom Velcro view window
- Reinforced sidewalls and lip for easy filling
- Breathable materials
- Only available in two sizes – 6.5 and 10-gallon
Budget Pick: Vivosun 5-Pack 1 GallonThe Vivosun wins our award for the best budget plant grow bag in this review. This model has everything you need in a grow bag. You get excellent drainage and high airflow to the roots, resulting in large crop yields.
The nonwoven 300g fabric provides a stable wall to the bag for easy fills. The best part about the Vivosun grow bags – is the price. These are the most affordable grow bags you’ll find, and they’re an excellent choice for flowers or vegetables.
The Vivosun comes in 14-different sizes, with 5-bags in a pack. They’re great value for money and a top choice for gardeners on a budget.
The only gripe we have with these bags is the handles. The handles stick to far beyond the edge of the rim. Therefore, when you pick up the bag, it tends to crush the sides of the bag, placing stress on the plant.
Overall, the Vivosun offers you excellent value for money, and we highly recommend them for both flowers and vegetable gardens. However, these bags won’t have enough depth for the roots if you’re growing tubers and root vegetables. In that case, you’ll need the Nicheo set.
- Durable, washable, and reusable
- Breathable fabric that drains well
- Comes in many different sizes
- Comes in 14 sizes
- Bag loses shape when moving
3-Pack Potato Grow Bags
We like the Nicheo 3-Piece 6.5 Gallon bags for growing potatoes in greenhouses and shade houses. However, if you want to grow your vegetables outdoors in the garden, we recommend these potato brow bags. These planters are deep, allowing for large harvests, and they come in 7 and 10-gallon models.
The exterior of these bags features design and construction with a weatherproof, durable, polyethylene material. The manufacturer constructed the bags with a breathable design, allowing for maximum airflow to reach the roots of your beets, carrots, or potatoes.
The large harvest window lets you check on your tubers as they are ripening, allowing for accurate harvests. These bags are an excellent choice for veggie gardens and offer a compact growing space away from pests and diseases.
- A great option for growing potatoes, carrots, and other tubers or root vegetables
- Stiff material for good structural integrity when full
- Tear-away Velcro window for harvest inspection and new potatoes
- Reasonably priced
- Comes in a three-pack
- The sidewalls aren’t as breathable as other materials in this review
- Handles are small
Delxo 5 Pack 7 GallonThis 7-gallon planter is the ideal choice for balcony gardens. If you want to grow tubers at home, this bag is a great choice for a compact garden. This 7-gallon reusable bag features design and construction with 300g nonwoven material, featuring sturdy sides for easy fills.
You get excellent airflow to the roots, and superior drainage, ensuring you never have to deal with any soggy roots and diseases in your plants. Deluxo offers you a money-back guarantee with your purchase.
- A close contender for the best premium plant grow bags
- Excellent for growing tubers and root veggies like potatoes, carrots, and beets
- Sturdy reinforced sidewalls make it easy to maneuver
- Large harvest window for checking on new potatoes
- Money-back guarantee
- Only available in two sizes – 7-gallon and 10-gallon
Other Best Selling Options
- POLYESTER FELT FABRIC – 5 Gallon plant grow bags come in pack of 5, made from premium quality polyester felt fabric that is breathable and reusable.
- PROPER VENTILATION & DRAINAGE – The fabric pots are skillfully designed to provide an adequate amount of aeration to the roots enabling them to breathe while allowing better outflow of water.
- PORTABLE & DURABLE – Easily movable planting bags with two hold able flaps on both sides. These grow bags are expertly stitched and can withstand every weather, hence making them last for long.
- VERSATILE – The cloth planters are space efficient and can be planted directly into the ground or just keep it in the garden, rooftop, inside the kitchen etc.
- HEALTHY PLANTATION GROWTH – The BPA Free fabric planters provide proper nourishment to your plants and are ideal for environmental friendly gardening.
- Premium Quality Material - Made of high quality and durable non-woven fabric, which is fluffy and has a good hand feeling. The material is BPA-free and AZO-free. These grow bags are washable for reuse.
- Let Your Plants Grow Healthier - These grow bags provide excellent aeration and good air permeability, can offer enough space for roots to breath and effectively avoid root swirling, promote a healthy root ball.
- Excellent Drainage - The woven design provide good drainage and allow your roots to breath which results in both faster growth and greater plant vigor. P.S. In the hot summer sun, the plants need watering every day.
- Easy to Transport - No worries moving them around. The handles are double thick and double stitched to the bag. Durable grow bags with sturdy handle straps allows easily and safely moving.
- Pot Dimension - 10 Gal - 16" Diameter 12" Height. Approx. 10.4 gallon. We promise size is as advertised.
Grow Bags Buyer’s Guide
In this section, we’ll give you everything you need to know about selecting the right grow bag to meet your gardening needs.
If you’re growing roses, you’re going to need a different type of bag to someone that’s growing new potatoes.
What is the Design and Build Characteristics of Top Grow Bags?
You might assume that all plant grow bags are the same. That’s okay; it’s easy to see why people don’t investigate the intricacies of grow bags – who’s got the time for that?
However, the reality is that there are significant differences between low-quality and high-quality grow bags.
Let’s unpack what you need to look for in your next set of grow bags for your garden or greenhouse.
Material Quality and Durability
The quality of the materials and durability of the design is one of the critical components of selecting the best plant grow bags.
If you want the most durable bags, look for nonwoven fabrics to get the best resilience and strength from the bag’s sidewalls.
The stitching is also another concern. Make sure that all the seams have reinforced stitching to prevent splitting when moving the bags around. The stitching on the handles is necessary to prevent them from snapping when moving the bag.
Look at the sizing options for your grow bags before you make your purchase. Grow bags come in sizes ranging from 1-gallon to 100-gallons.
Depending on what you want to grow in your garden, you can have sperate bags for each plant, or plant a sizeable multi-purpose flowerbed in a 100-gallon bag.
Breathable Fabrics and Supportive Sidewalls
The breathable walls of a grow bag are what make this innovation in home gardening so special. Grow bags allow for the improved circulation of air to the roots of your plants.
The increase in the air allows for the plants to absorb more oxygen that in traditional pots, boosting their growth.
Look for material pots that offer breathable, but supportive sidewalls. Ideally, you want a grow bag that stands open and upright without the need for support.
These durable sidewalls provide plenty of air to the roots, maintaining the bag’s structural integrity when moving it around the garden.
Other bags with breathable sidewalls might not offer much in the way of support. As a result, when you pick up the container, the sidewalls collapse. This action disturbs the roots and stressing the plant, causing a drop in yield.
Watering your plants is so much more comfortable with material bags. It’s easy to see how much water you need to give you plants by watching the container saturates the sidewalls. There is no chance that you’ll ever drown your plants using material pots.
The pots drain so efficiently that you might have to add an extra watering day into your weekly schedule.
There’s no chance of your crop developing root rot, as the roots get plenty of air, and will never experience waterlogging.
Foldability and Portability
Stacking traditional pots on top of each other is a great way to save space in the yard when they are not in use. However, with material pots, you can fold them up and pack them away.
You can wash your material pots at the end of the growing season, fold them flat, and store them in a cupboard until the next growing season.
What’s the Difference Between Growing in Pots and Grow Bags?
So, why should you switch to using grow bags over pots in your garden? Here are our top reasons why you need to try out the best grow bags for your flowers and veggies this season.
- Grow bags provide superior airflow and drainage to the roots
- Grow bags allow for better temperature and humidity control with your plants
- Grow bags can triple your yield, without changing anything in the growing environment
- You can transport and store dozens of grow bags without any hassle
- Grow bags are more affordable than pots
- Plants roots growing in grow bags won’t circulate the bag or stunt growth
What are the Benefits of Using Grow Bags?
If you want more evidence that grow bags are the superior choice to traditional pots, let’s look at the top advantages of growing with bags this season.
Grow bags make healthy and robust root systems
If you pull out an old plant from a pot, you’ll probably notice that the roots have a swirling, circular look to them as they sit in the substrate.
This type of root growth results in transplant shock when planting into bigger pots. As a result, the plant may tale longer to recover from the stress, reducing the yield you get at the end of the season.
With grow bags, you don’t get this problem. The roots grow freely, and there’s less transplant shock involved with repotting.
Grow bags help with regulating the root temperature
Plastic containers can damage the roots of your plants during the summer. For this reason, many pots are white so that they can deflect the sun’s rays.
However, the plastic still heats up during warm summer days, which can end up cooking the roots of your plants or potatoes in the hot summer sun.
With grow bags, the roots stay airy and cool, at the perfect growing temperature. In colder conditions, the fabrics prevent the roots from freezing.
Don’t worry about drowning your plants
When watering your plants, the grow bags drain well. You’ll never have to worry about overwatering or root rot again.
Washable fabrics for seasonal reuse
At the end of the growing season, you can shake out the pots and throw them in the washing machine. This task sterilizes the pots for use the next season. Fold them flat, store them away ion the garage, or on a shelf out of the way.
What are the Disadvantages of Using Grow Bags?
There are a few drawbacks to using grow bags over traditional pots in your garden. Here is what you need to know.
- Moving the pots around disturbs the root system more than plastic pots. This disturbance can reduce yield by stressing the plant.
- Large grow bags with plenty of soil (50+ gallons) will be immovable when filled.
- Low-quality materials may rip and tear, and you might not have them last the season.
- Filling a grow bag with soft walls can be an annoying task and often requires two people.
Grow Bag FAQs
Do you have a few unanswered queries about how to select and use your plant grow bags? Check through these frequently asked questions.
What kind of plants suit growing in grow bags?
Any plant can benefit from growing in a material grow bag. The thin material sides allow airflow to the roots, dramatically boosting the growth rates of flowers, fruits, and vegetables. Grow bags come in different sizes to suit any size garden, growing conditions, or plants.
Is it safe to add fertilizer to my plants when growing them in grow bags?
Yes. Fertilizing your plants in material pots is fine. However, be careful about run-off to nearby plants, as the bags drain very well.
What are the benefits of watering with a grow bag?
Material grow bags allow for optimal drainage. After watering, they drain most of the water right away, leaving the soil moist, but not soggy. As a result, you get less root rot in your garden and fewer pests. However, gardeners must also note that they might have to water a day early compared to plants growing in other standard pots.
Are all material grow bags washable
While all the brands in this review are washable, that’s not always the case with material grow bags. Those bags with low-quality materials might not stand up to the rigors of a wash. Check with the manufacturer before you wash your material grow bag. Even washable grow bags may only last two or three cycles, so be careful when using your bags across multiple harvests.
Can I grow different types of plants in the same grow bag?
Sure. You could grow potatoes and peppers in the same bag. A large Nicheo grow bag would let you get a harvest of potatoes in the bottom of the bag, and some peppers on top. Provided that you care for the plants, and provide for the nutrient requirements, they should grow fine.
By now, you should have a good idea of the right plant grow bags to suit your garden. Whether you’re growing flowers or veggies, there’s an option in this review to suit your gardening needs. If you’re still having trouble choosing the best plant grow bags, why not rely on our top picks?
- The Garden4Ever 10-Pack is a great choice for gardeners that want a grow bag that will last a few seasons. The high-quality materials and stitching ensure that this bag stays supportive for years. You can wash and reuse these bags, making them a good choice for gardens that experience disease outbreaks.
- Gardeners looking for the best premium grow bag available, need the Nicheo 3-Piece system. These grow bags have harvest windows and deeper planting areas. As a result, they’re the ideal choice for planting potatoes and other tubers. The high-quality design is outstanding, and they come in at a reasonable price point.
- The Vivosun 5-Pack grow bags are a great choice, with plenty of sizes available. The functional design and setup of these bags give you everything you need, at an affordable price.