Saturday is here, and your lawn is looking shabby. It’s time to pull old faithful and start her up to mow your lawn. After pulling on the ripcord so many times that your hands feel like they’re going to start bleeding, you decide to call it a day. The lawn will be there next week, sure – it might be a bit longer, but you’ll worry about that next weekend.
Gas-powered mowers are so 2010. Today’s technology is moving to the electric world. With entrepreneurs like Elon Musk making electric vehicles more mainstream, it’s not surprising to see mower manufacturers focusing on designing and building electric lawnmowers.
By using an battery powered electric lawnmower, you not only get a fast and efficient cut that’s comparable to gas-powered models, but you also get to help save the planet as well by reducing your household carbon footprint.
Plus, as a bonus, you don’t have to deal with managing an extension cable while you mow your lawn. Running over the electrical extension is not only inconvenient, but it’s also downright dangerous as well.
So, pack old faithful away, and read through this review of the best cordless lawn mowers available. Our buyer’s guide gives you more tips for choosing the right model to suit your yard, and we also make our recommendations for the best cordless lawn mowers as well.
Top Picks for the Best Cordless Lawn Mowers
- 1 Top Picks for the Best Cordless Lawn Mowers
- 2 The Best Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Cordless Lawn Mower Buyer’s Guide
- 5 The Benefits of a Battery-Powered Cordless Lawn Mower
- 6 Cordless Vs. Corded Electric Lawnmowers
- 7 What to Look for When Buying a Cordless Electric Mower?
- 8 Conclusion
For those readers that don’t have the time to read the entire review, this section is for you. We worked with all of the best battery lawn mowers in this review and came up with our choices for top picks. Each of our picks offers unique features and functionality to suit a variety of mowing applications.
Best Pick: Greenworks 21″ Pro 80V Cordless Lawn Mower
- Up to 60 minutes run-time with fully charged 4.0Ah battery. Run-time varies based on grass condition and operator technique.
- Highly efficient brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life.
- Durable 21" cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently.
- 3-In-1 system: mulch, rear bagging, and side discharge.
- Single lever 7-position height adjustment for the best cut in all grass conditions.
This 80-volt Greenworks cordless lawnmower I the most powerful and long-lasting in this review. The mower comes in a 4.0-AH battery version, or a 2.0-AH battery version. We recommend you stick to the 4.0-AH battery for best results when mowing your lawn. The power-on offer with the 4.0-AH model is outstanding and competes with gas-powered models.
Premium Pick: Ego Power+ Cordless Lawn Mower
- PeakPower technology allows for combined power of any 2 EGO ARC Lithium batteries
- Up to 80 minutes of run time on single charge with two included 56V 5. 0 Ah ARC Lithium batteries
- High-efficiency brushless motor
- Variable Speed Self-Propel: 0.9 MPH – 3. 1 MPH
- 6-position cutting height adjustments: 1. 5"- 4"
The EGO Power+ is a close second to the Greenworks, and we recommend it if you don’t have the budget to splash out on the Greenworks model. With this lawnmower, you get cordless operation and excellent run time.
Budget Pick: Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO Cordless Lawn Mower
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe expert
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 17-inch wide path
- HEIGHT CONTROL: Tailor cutting Height with 7-position Height control
- CONVERTIBLE: Mulching + mowing function. Size of Yard - 1/4 - 1/2 Acre. No Load Speed (rpm)- 3500
- GRASS COLLECTOR: Detachable grass collection bag for easy disposal
For those gardeners searching for the best budget model in this review, the Sun Joe offers tremendous value for money. This machine is lightweight and easy to maneuver, while still maintaining enough battery life to last for 45-minutes.
The Best Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews
We spent many hours testing and comparing specs of all the cordless mowers on the market to put together this in-depth guide.
There’s a model in this review to suit any size yard, no matter how tough your grass.
After reading through the reviews, check out our buyer’s guide for more information to help you make an informed purchase decision on your new cordless lawnmower.
Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn MowerThe PRO 21-inch model on offer from Greenworks is one of the leaders in its class. This machine is everything you would expect from a cordless electric mower, and then some. The Greenworks PRO model comes with an 80-volt battery pack, which is the strongest battery pack on offer in this review.
The 80-volt batteries power a brushless motor that cuts through the most robust grass like a gas-powered model. This model comes with options for a 2.0-Amp Hour battery pack, or a 4.0-Amp Hour battery pack.
We suggest you only consider the 4.0-Amp Hour version if you have a larger lawn, as the run time with the 2.0-Amp Hour battery is less than desirable. However, with the 4.0-Amp Hour model, you get a run time of 60-minutes, which should suffice for cutting your lawn to perfection.
You might think that a 4.0-Amp Hour battery powering an 80-volt motor would require hours of charge time between uses. However, with the Greenworks, you get a rapid charging setup that can have you back mowing your lawn in a few hours after setting it up on the charger.
Recently, contractors and landscapers are taking flak from their clients for using petrol-powered mowers. We live in an eco-conscious age, and some clients might object to you using a petrol mower on their property.
In this case, the Greenworks offers the top electric choice for contractors. Some landscapers might complain that they need more than 60-minutes run time to mow some of their client’s large lawns.
However, you can purchase spare battery packs from Greenworks, and rotate them in the charger, giving you unlimited run time, and peace of mind for your clients.
The Greenworks PRO 21-inch model comes with a digitally controlled motor that senses the grass your mowing, and its resistance to the blades. If the machine thinks it’s underpowered, it turns up the speed of the blades automatically, allowing you to cut through the toughest grasses.
While the Greenworks offers homeowners and contractors some serious power for mowing any lawn, it’s surprising to hear next to no sound when you start the mower.
The electric mower runs near-silent, and you can barely hear the blades spinning until they come in contact with grass. Your neighbors will love you for not walking them up with your noisy petrol mower on the weekends.
One of the most exciting design features of this model is that it feels like operating a gas-powered mower. The battery packs feature positioning on the chassis that allows for maximum leverage over the machine, giving you better control of the mower.
The ergonomic handle has adjustments to suit gardeners of any height, and the large wheels move over any terrain and make it easy to push the mower up slopes. The reliable and sturdy deck feature fabrication from steel and the mower has strong steel axles to support its movement around your yard.
The only drawback of this mower is the design of the rear wheels. The wheels feature a scoop on the inside that collects grass cutting and debris, requiring you to clean them out after each use. With the Greenworks, you get a clean cut for your lawn and a 4-year manufacturer’s warranty on the machine.
The Greenworks PRO 21-inch electric lawnmower is the flagship model in this review, and if you have the budget available, then we highly recommend this machine for your lawn.
- Battery – 80-Volt 4.0 AH Lithium-ion batteries.
- Run Time – 60-Minutes.
- Cutting Deck – 21-inches
- Weight – 74.1-lbs
- Brushless motor, digitally controlled.
- Rapid charging.
- Powerful brushless motor.
- Excellent battery life.
- Rapid charging time.
- Excellent user experience.
- Easy to push, despite the weight.
- Somewhat heavier than other models in this review.
- Debris tends to collect on the inside of the wheels.
- Comes with a 2.0-Amp Hour battery option that’s underpowered.
- Auto throttle has slow response.
Ego Power+Cordless Lawn Mower
When we were running through the cordless lawn mowers in this review, we found it hard to pick a runner up between the WORX and the EGO Power+. While we gave the EGO Power+the title because we feel it’s a machine with some serious value for the home gardener. This cordless electric lawn mower offers many of the same features as the Greenworks model.
This machine features a 20-inch cutting deck that’s suitable for use in small to medium-size yards. There’s no rear-wheel drive on this machine, but the battery pack positioning on the chassis makes it easy to maneuver the mower around and make turns with ease.
The EGO Power+ offers gardeners a 56-volt, 5.0-Amp Hour battery pack that shreds through the toughest grass without slowing the blades speed. As with all the models in this review, the machine runs on a lithium-ion battery that provides long service life, and holds a charge well, provided you care for your machine.
You also get a rapid charger with the kit, and this machine goes from drained to recharged in 30-minutes, which makes it one of the fastest recharge times available. While most battery packs are 4.0-Amp Hour, the EGO Power+ features an extra amp hour, increasing the power and runtime of the mower. As a result, you get a run time of 45-minutes, which is exceptional for a high-powered 20-inch model.
The EGO Power+ is also lightweight, and easy to fold and store in your tool shed, without taking up too much space. The extended 5-year warranty is excellent, but we think the 3-year warranty on the battery is outstanding, and an industry first.
We were tempted to give the EGO Power+ the title of the best cordless electric lawnmower. It’s got so many fantastic features, a strong motor, and extended battery life. This machine suits homeowners that demand the best.
- Battery – 56-Volt 4.0 AH Lithium-ion battery.
- Run Time – 45-Minutes.
- Cutting Deck – 20-inches.
- Weight – 65.3-lbs.
- 30-minute charge time
- LED Headlights.
- Powerful 56-volt motor offers excellent cutting performance.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver around the yard.
- Folds for compact storage in the tools shed.
- 3-year warranty on battery, 5-year warranty on the mower.
- No self-propulsion drive.
- Could do with additional handle positions.
Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO Cordless Lawn Mower
If you’re looking for a cordless electric lawn mower that doesn’t leave your wallet feeling light, then choose the Sun Joe MJ401C-PRO. This no-frills mower is both cost-effective and efficient. You get a 16-inch cutting deck that’s more than capable of cutting lawns in small yards.
The machine features an auto-throttle feature that increases the driveshaft speed to the blades when it detects you are mowing through tough grass. This machine is the lightest in this review, weighing a little over 37-lbs. As a result, you get excellent control over the machine, and it’s easy to maneuver the mower in tight spaces.
The brushless motor runs near-silent, and your neighbors probably won’t even notice you’re mowing your lawn. People who have small yards, typically have small storage spaces. Fortunately, the Sun Joe folds up neatly for compact storage in your tool shed or garage.
You get a 40-minute run time from the 40-Volt 4.0 AH Lithium-ion battery, which is more than enough to cut a small lawn. The battery takes 60-minutes to reach a full charge from empty.
This machine is the top choice for a budget cordless electric lawnmower. This machine has everything you need to give your lawn a clean-cut, without draining your bank account.
- Battery – 40-Volt 4.0 AH Lithium-ion battery.
- Run Time – 40-Minutes.
- Cutting Deck – 14-inches.
- Weight – 37.3-lbs.
- 60-minute charge time.
- Includes 4.0-AH battery pack.
- Light and easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Powerful brushless motor.
- Clippings bag is small and challenging to fit to the machine.
- The design feels somewhat flimsy.
WORX WG774 Battery Powered Lawn Mower
For those gardeners that have smaller yards, and don’t require the monstrous power on offer from the Greenworks, should consider the WORX WG774 cordless electric lawnmower. This mower features a smaller cutting deck that the Greenworks but still offer excellent performance in small to medium-size yards.
The 56-volt motor might be underpowered compared to the 80-volt powerhouse in the Greenworks. However, 56-volts is on par with most gas-powered mowers’ performance. The WORX features an “IntelliCut” system, and this technology modifies the power going to the driveshaft to meet your lawn mowing requirements.
The IntelliCut system increases the power to the blades when it detects you are mowing tougher species of grass and backs off the power when it senses lighter grasses that don’t require much power to trim.
You also get a turbo setting that sends the machine into overdrive, cutting through the thickest and toughest grass with ease. If you’re trimming the grass lightly, then the “Eco-Mode” will help your machine perform efficiently, saving electricity.
The 56-volt motor receives its power from the two MaxLithium battery packs that deliver enough juice to cut lawns of up to 9,400-square feet on one single charge. You get a rapid charger system included in the package that restores your batteries to full charge within 4-hours.
You can choose to operate this mower with one battery pack, or with both attached for extended run time.
However, the impressive 60-minute run time of this machine means that you should finish mowing the largest lawn, without the need to recharge the battery pack. The WORX WG774 comes with a 20-inch steel deck and a 19-inch cutting deck. This deck might not make it as large as the Greenworks, but it’s still efficient enough to mow your lawn in the shortest amount of time possible.
This unit weighs 57-lbs with the battery installed. While this is by no means lightweight, it’s also no heavier than a standard gas-powered motor.
The design of the battery back and handles gives you excellent leverage over the machine, allowing you to maneuver it around your yard with ease. As a result, there’s less effort on your side for operating the machine. You get less fatigue in your arms and legs after finishing your mowing for the weekend.
The mower folds away for easy storage in your tool shed, and it doesn’t take up too much room after folding the handle down. We recommend that you store this mower in a tool shed, or the rain will ruin the machine.
The only drawback with this cordless electric mower is the lack of throttle control. We like to adjust the speed to suit the grass were cutting, but the IntelliCut technology takes care of that for you while you’re mowing.
With this mower, you get a bushel bag that attaches to the rear of the machine to collect the grass, or a side discharge option, as well as mulching functionality. You also get a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty with this lawnmower.
WORX is one of the trusted names in DIY power tools, and you can rely on this machine for its durability and robust performance.
- Battery – 56-Volt 4.0 AH Lithium-ion batteries (Dual battery pack setup).
- Run Time – 60-Minutes.
- Cutting Deck – 19-inches
- Weight – 57-lbs
- 7-cutting height positions.
- 3-Year warranty.
- 56-volt brushless motor provides excellent power.
- Extended battery life with Intellicut Technology.
- Comes with two rechargeable batteries.
- Cutting deck features 7-height positions.
- Does not have a throttle.
- 2-hour charge time on batteries.
Other Best Selling Options
- Greenworks 24V Lithium-Ion battery provides 20% more power and run-time, and delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging
- Up To 35 Minutes Run-Time With Fully Charged 4Ah Battery. Run-Time Varies Based on Grass Condition and Operator Technique, Front Wheels: 6 Inches , Rear Wheels: 6 Inches
- 13 in. rust-resistant lightweight deck designed for easy maneuverability. 2-In-1 feature provides mulching and rear bagging capabilities
- USB port in battery charges all portable electronic devices, including phones and tablets. USB Battery Portable Power Station (24000 mAh Power Bank)
- 3 Year Tool / Battery Protects Your Investment
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- INCLUDES – Battery operated lawn mower comes with mower, grass collection bag, 40V 4.0Ah battery, charger and operators manual. It offers a 3 year tool and 3 year battery warranty.
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe expert
- POWERFUL: Perfect for small to medium lawns, battery-powered mower's durable steel blade cuts a crisp 14" wide path with precision in a single pass
- PERFORMANCE: The 28 V 4 Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery for up to a quarter acre of continuous mowing per charge
- ADJUSTABLE DECK: Tailor cutting height with 3-position manual height adjustment
- ACCESSORIES: Detachable 10. 6-gal (40 l) grass catcher for easy disposal
- 3 tools in 1, easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger
- AFS automatic feed system ensures continuous work without bumping and having to stop. Ideal property size 750 square feet
- Power drive transmission prevents bogging down. Cutting heights: 1.6 2.4 inches
- Adjustable height deck & trimmer and pivoting handle. Charge time at 60 percent 2.5 hours
- Includes (2) batteries for extended run time
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard work system--includes 2 Batteries and a Charger
- 19-Inch steel cutting deck for faster more efficient results and highest performance when mulching and rear bagging
- Single lever 7-position height adjustment offers cutting height ranging from 1-1/8-Inch to 3-Inch and electric start
- 3-in-1 feature offers versatile options with rear bagging, mulching and side discharge capabilities for multiple use
- Large 10-inch rear wheels and 7-inch front wheels for easy control and maneuvering
Cordless Lawn Mower Buyer’s Guide
Most gardeners can’t imagine the thought of pushing along a silent mower. Most of us grew up with the sound of gas-powered lawnmowers whirring away on a Saturday or Sunday morning around the neighborhood.
However, innovations in battery technology mean that electric lawn mowers are now a reality. Choosing the right battery-powered lawn mower for your garden might be a confusing experience, and that’s why we wrote this buyer’s guide for you.
Here’s everything you need to know about cordless electric mowers, and why you should consider purchasing one of these electric models over a gas-powered unit for your next lawnmower.
The Benefits of a Battery-Powered Cordless Lawn Mower
What are the benefits of owning a battery-powered lawnmower? In this section, we’ll unpack the pros and cons of owning a battery-powered lawnmower.
Kiss Your Gas Goodbye
We’ve all been there. You wake up on a Saturday morning, prepare to mow the lawn, drag old faithful out onto the grass – and then you realize you forgot to buy gas for the mower yesterday.
You fetch the gas, mix the oil, and pour it into your mowers gas tank. After 15-pulls, the motor still refuses to turn over, and you realize you flooded the carburetor. So far, today’s lawn mowing is not going to plan, and the sun is starting to get hot as it reaches midday.
The chances are that this situation happened to you more than once while trying to mow your lawn over the years. Fortunately, with a battery-powered electric lawnmower, you can kiss those problems goodbye.
Gas-powered mowers are a pain to work with for any gardener. The gas often requires mixing with 2-stroke oil at a specific ration, and if you get it wrong, you could damage the machine. The cast-iron block of a lawnmower engine weighs a ton, and dragging the mower around the yard is a chore that leaves you feeling like you had a workout at the gym.
With a battery-powered cordless electric model, the machine starts with the press of a button on the first try. You don’t have any noise polluting the airwaves around your neighborhood, and no fossil fuel emissions are ruining the environment.
Cordless Vs. Corded Electric Lawnmowers
Why should you choose a battery-powered lawnmower over an electric mower with a cable? When mowing your lawn with an electric mower, the extension cable provides the power to the machine.
As a result, you have a limit on the reach of your mower. If the extension doesn’t reach the corners of the garden, then you have a problem.
With a battery-powered mower, you have the freedom to roam your garden with your mower, without the thought of running out of extension cord. The cord also presents an irritation for the gardener when mowing as well.
As you move the mower back and forth along the lawn, you’ll have to ensure that you keep moving the cable away from the machine. If you’re not paying attention, you could run over the cable and sever it, damaging your mower.
There are no cables with battery-powered models, and you get the same mowing experience that you would with a gas-powered model.
In most cases, battery-powered lawn mowers weigh much less than its gas-powered alternative. The heaviest part of the machine is the battery pack, which might account for up to 40% of the machine’s total weight.
Due to the lightweight construction of cordless lawn mowers, they’re easy to push around the yard and up slopes with minimal effort. Due to the lightweight construction, you get less operator fatigue in your arms after you finish mowing.
Gas-powered machines are noisy. The exhaust for the machine barely does anything to muffle the sound of the engine, and mowing your lawn early on a Saturday morning could leave you in the bad books with your neighbors for all of the ruckuses you cause mowing the lawn.
Battery-powered electric mowers barely make any noise at all. The only sound emanating from the machine is the whir of the blades as they spin and cut the grass. These machines run near-silent, and they’re quieter than electric edgers or weed whackers.
Dragging your gas-powered motor around the yard is hard work, both on you and the environment. Gas-powered machines come in 2-stroke and 4-stroke versions, but both burn petrol and oil. It might surprise you to learn that lawnmowers count toward 5% of the United States’ annual greenhouse emissions.
Manufacturers must meet regulatory guidelines for emissions produced by lawnmowers, proving that they are a concern.
With a battery-operated electric lawn mower, you get all the power of a gas-mower, without the emissions. Sure, it may require electricity to power the unit, but at least you’re not flagrantly polluting your local environment with petrol fumes.
Before the spring rolls around, and your grass starts to turn green and grow, you’ll need to take a gas-powered mower to an agent for servicing.
The agent replaces the fuel and air filters, cleans the carburetor, and the fuel lines. This essential maintenance keeps your mower running, and prevents mechanical failure of the machine.
Services for your mower can be expensive, and they often take a few days to complete, especially at the start of the spring, when everyone wants to service their mower.
With a cordless electric model, there’s no servicing required to maintain the machine. All you need to do is keep it clean and make sure the battery stays charged.
Lithium-ion battery packs have a long service life and can last for anywhere between three and five years before they require replacement.
What to Look for When Buying a Cordless Electric Mower?
Now that you know the benefits of owning a cordless electric mower, it’s time to analyze what you need to look for when purchasing your unit.
The following is a checklist you can run through when deciding on your purchase. We use these criteria for our review to determine the final recommendation of the machine.
- Power rating.
- Battery specs.
- The cutting deck size.
- User experience.
- Additional features.
Every cordless electric lawn mower comes with a power rating describing the volt-rating of the machine, and the Amp-hours provided by the battery pack.
Typically, motors with power ratings over 50-volts are suitable for use in your yard, and they offer performance that’s on par with gas-powered models.
The Amp-hour reading on the battery pack tells you how much energy the battery stores. You’ll be looking for a machine with a battery pack that has a minimum of 4.0-AH on offer.
The power rating plays a significant role in the user experience of the machine, and if you have an underpowered model, you might find it frustrating when the blade keeps slowing down as it encounters tough grass.
The Cutting Deck
The cutting deck width describes the reach of the blades, and how big of an area the mower can cut with a single pass. Smaller mowers have decks under 20-inches, while larger capacity mowers will have cutting decks larger than 20-inches.
Many manufacturers choose 20-inches as the sweet spot for battery-operated electric mowers. However, the cutting deck width is not the only consideration you need to take into account when making your purchase.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re using a gas-powered mower, or an electric model – If the machine does not have a user-friendly operation, then it’s a waste of your money and time.
User-experience describes everything from starting the mower to using it to cut your grass, charging the battery, and packing it away for storage.
The user experience is so critical that you could have a machine with all the bells and whistles, but if it’s a chore to operate, it’s a second-rate machine. Always ensure that you read up on other people’s testimonials before checking out with your new cordless electric mower.
Check the model you’re interested in buying for additional features. Some mowers have an auto-throttle, which adjusts the power to suit mowing conditions.
This feature is excellent for mowing lawns where you have more than one species of grass. The machine detects resistance against the cutting blades and increases the power to the blade driveshaft to cut through the grass.
Some lawnmowers also come with LED headlights, and while we never mow the lawn at night, we can see how these headlights could be beneficial if you live in a region of the United States that has short daylight hours in the late fall.
Also, check the mower for safety features such as trigger locks, safety guards, and stone deflectors. The last thing you want is the blades of your mower flinging stones at the windows of your home.
After reading through our reviews of the best cordless electric lawnmowers, and reviewing the information in our buyer’s guide, you should have a better understanding of the characteristics of a good cordless mower.
However, if you’re still scratching your head trying to decide on the right lawnmower for your yard, why not take our advice and try one of our top picks in this review?
You can’t go wrong with the Greenworks 80-volt mower, with its near gas-like performance. However, if you want a smaller machine for your yard, but still demand the best quality, we recommend our runner up; The WORX WG774.
If you’re on a budget and looking for the most affordable battery-operated electric mower you can find, then you can’t beat the value that’s on offer with the Sun Joe.