Summertime is about having fun outdoors. Invite a few friends round for a BBQ, light the grill, and let the kids splash around in the pool. Enjoy the lazy afternoon sun on the patio as you sip on a cocktail and watch the light fade while you chat with your friends.
It sounds like a dreamy way to spend a summer weekend, right? But what are you doing to entertain your guests? Playing some music in the background enhances the outdoor experience, lifting everyone’s mood. While the conversation takes a dip, the music fills the gap, instead of awkward silence.
An outdoor stereo system is a great idea, but you don’t want to leave expensive equipment lying around outdoors in the summertime. If there’s an afternoon shower, it could damage your setup. You need a set of outdoor speakers to connect to your sound system indoors, or through your phone.
Outdoor speakers have all the specs and features of indoor speakers, with additional waterproofing and weather resistance. There are various models of outdoor speakers available, from fixed models requiring a permanent installation to portable speakers you can set up and connect to your phone via Bluetooth.
In this review, we’ll look at the best outdoor speakers for your patio or entertainment area.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Speakers Reviews
- 2.1 Pyle Wall Mount Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker System – The Best Overall Outdoor Speakers
- 2.2 Olafus Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers – The Best Premium Outdoor Speakers
- 2.3 Dual Electronics 3-Way Outdoor Speakers – The Best Budget Outdoor Speakers
- 2.4 Yamaha NS-AW150WH 2-Way Outdoor Speakers
- 2.5 Innovative Technology Outdoor Rock Speaker Pair
- 2.6 Bose 34104 SE Elegant Outdoor Speakers
- 2.7 Dual Electronics LU48BTS Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- 2.8 JBL Charge 4 – Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Outdoor Speakers Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What are the Features of a Good Outdoor Speaker?
- 5.1 Bluetooth Capability and Speaker Range
- 5.2 Sound Production and Quality
- 5.3 Battery Life
- 5.4 Compatibility
- 5.5 Weather Resistance
- 5.6 Lightweight Materials and Design
- 5.7 Daisy-Chain Functionality
- 5.8 Housing Design and Style
- 5.9 Warranty
- 5.10 Are You a Bass-Head?
- 5.11 Size Matters
- 5.12 Where’s the Best Place to Position My Speakers Outdoors?
- 5.13 Does the Brand Make a Difference?
- 5.14 What Is a Passive Speaker System?
- 6 Outdoor Speakers FAQs
- 7 The Best Outdoor Speakers – The Verdict
If you want to start the party right away, you can rely on our top picks when choosing your ideal outdoor speaker system.
To compile the speakers in this review, we assessed dozens of models from leading brands. These top three choices represent the best available in their respective category. Choose a model that suits your entertainment needs and budget.
Best Pick: Pyle Wall Mount Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker System
- Includes (2) speakers (Active & passive speaker system) marine grade waterproof construction
- Bluetooth wireless music streaming works with all of your favorite devices digital amplifier; 8 Ohm impedance
- 6.5 inches woofers 1.0 inches dome tweeter full range stereo sound gold plated speaker binding post
- Includes power adapter & speaker connection cables rugged wall mountable design 300 watt
- Ability to daisy chain active speaker to passive speaker as stereo system indoor/outdoor use
The Pyle outdoor speaker system offers you a pair of Bluetooth speakers to start your party on the right foot. This system features 6.5-inch speakers, with active and passive Bluetooth function. You get marine-grade waterproof construction, with surround-sound and monitor capability. Daisy-chain as many sets together as you like, and pump up the party on your patio.
Premium Pick: Olafus Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers
- 【DYNAMIC, POWERFUL 25W SOUND FOR INDOORS & OUTDOORS】- Each speaker has 25 watts of output power. Deep bass and clear treble realized through dual 3 inch full-range drivers and dual 3 inch bass radiation basin. You can connect 200 pack Olafus synchronization enabled speakers simultaneously under 1 bluetooth connection. Amplify the party in the hall, backyard, patio or by the pool.
- 【SUPPORT 200 SPEAKERS PAIRED & SHARED AUDIO】- With advanced 5.8 GHz signal technology, lantern speakers can work together. 3D Stereo music invigorates an all-around sensory experience. Music and light will be synchronized. You can control the 2 speakers under 1 Bluetooth connection. Bring you the stereo sound! Support 200 speakers together!
- 【COLOR CHANGING & TIMER】- Bluetooth wireless speaker turns into a decorative garden lantern with 8 color changing LED light and 5 timer settings. The colors rotate through red, dark blue, light blue, amber, green, purple, pink and white or select individual color you like. It’s dimmable. Each light has timer setting( 2h, 4h, 6h, 8h or continuous on/off). Serves as lighting and decoration for garden, patio, porch, yard, wall, table.
- 【LONG PLAY TIME & IPX5 WATERPROOF】- After 3 hours charging, enjoy 10 continually hours of seamless music at full volume. Loud enough for your gatherings. Put on a thrilling rock party indoors or outdoors! Olafus supports 60-day money back and if you have any questions, we will reply you within 24 hours, please order with confidence.
- 【WIRED OR WIRELESS SPEAKER】- Bluetooth 4.2 ensures instant pairing and connection to any Bluetooth devices without the hassle of wires, apps. No Bluetooth devices? No worry! With the 2 supplied 3.5 mm auxiliary cables, simply connection to an iPhone, Android, Tablet, PC, TV, Amazon Dot or Mac. Note: This Bluetooth speaker is not compatible with Alexa.
Olafus are innovators in audio equipment, and this model is an excellent choice for a combination light/speaker. The system features two speakers with RGB lighting that moves to the music, running through eight color combinations.
Budget Pick: Dual Electronics 3-Way Outdoor Speakers
- |DESIGNED TO LIVE INDOORS & OUTDOORS| – your studio quality speakers can be mounted/placed in any open space, by the pool, under your patio, in the garage, on a bookshelf; regardless of placement they will deliver Extraordinary Sound
- |DIGITALLY OPTIMIZED FOR EXPANSIVE DISPERSION & POWERFUL BASS| – the synchronized harmony of your 3-Way Component Speakers & 4-inch Woofer create a state of accurate acoustic dispersion with deep rich sounding bass for a truly full range of sound
- |EFFORTLESS MOUNTING SWIVEL BRACKETS| – versatility is in its design; your speakers can be mounted in a matter of seconds in any open space and provide you with a 120 degree range of High Fidelity Sound.Sensitivity: 86dB
- |ALL WEATHER RESISTANT COATING| – these speakers are made for Every Season; they are coated with a UV resistant resin and placed inside an ABS enclosure protecting it from the elements and preserving sound integrity
- |DUAL DBTMA100 BLUETOOTH AMPLIFIER| – don’t forget to add the top selling Dual Electronics DBTMA100 Bluetooth Amplifier with your LU43PB Speakers for the best outdoor/indoor acoustic experience
If you’re looking for the best budget outdoor speakers, check out this Dual Electronics model. You get 100-watt peak power from the 4-inch speakers, with 3-way speaker design. The weather-resistant coating has an IPX5 rating, with a Bluetooth amplifier to connect to your device. You get a 120-degree stage, with excellent sound clarity, and plenty of thumping bass.
Special Pick: Klipsch AWR-650-SM Indoor/Outdoor Speaker
- True two-way design
- Dual voice coil polymer woofer
- Dual polymer dome tweeters
- Durable UV-resistant enclosure
- Available in a granite or sandstone finish
This speaker is designed like a granite rock, a perfect way to hide your speaker system within a backyard.
Outdoor Speakers Reviews
Now that you have a good idea of our top models in this review let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at a few other models that make great outdoor speakers for your yard. Choose the set that suits your entertainment requirements and start the party!
Pyle Wall Mount Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker System – The Best Overall Outdoor Speakers
The Pyle wall-mount Bluetooth outdoor speaker system wins our award for the best overall model. If you’re looking for a top-quality audio system for your patio or outdoor area, this model is worth careful consideration.
The speakers feature 6.5-inch woofers with tweeters, producing 300-watts peak power, and a frequency range of 80Hz to 20kHz. These speakers come with a built-in digital sound amp, featuring integrated Bluetooth connectivity.
You get marine-grade waterproof protection allowing for permanent assemble and fixing on your patio. The speakers have a deep bass response, and you can daisy-chain multiple sets to create a dancefloor on your patio.
The robust performance of these Bluetooth outdoor speakers features swivel mounts for easy installation and setup. The Pyle is an excellent choice for any outdoor audio entertainment system.
- Marine-grade waterproof construction for outdoor use
- 300-watt output with 6.5-inch long-throw woofers
- Bluetooth connectivity for wireless streaming from your device
- Built-in amplifier with output protection, no stereo needed
- Daisy-chain linking for additional sets
- Custom design for deep bass and high-power response
- Bass can be somewhat overpowering
Olafus Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers – The Best Premium Outdoor Speakers
Bring sound and color to your entertainment area with the Olafus outdoor entertainment system. This outdoor speaker features RGB lighting, cycling through eight different colors. There’s a white color that acts as a flashlight if you’re looking for your keys around the firepit. You also get a convenient carry handle to transport it around the yard.
This speaker features a dynamic, powerful sound with 25-watts RMS, providing plenty of power to your speakers for outdoor use. You get surprisingly deep bass from this model, with 3-inch drivers and a dual 3-inch bass radiation basin for bumping basslines.
Olafus offers smart Bluetooth tech included in this model. The internal Bluetooth amplifier connects to your device of choice, giving you total control without the need for an external amp. The Wi-Fi tech allows you to daisy-chain up to 200 of these speakers together to enhance the sound stage and production.
A 3-hour charge time gives you 10-hours of playback at peak volume, with IPX5 splash resistance. You get instant pairing to your device, with a 30 to 60-foot range.
- RGB color-changing lantern cycles through eight different colors
- Bluetooth connectivity to your device with 30-foot range
- 5.8-GHz Wi-Fi technology integrated into the device
- Connect up to 200-speakers on the same channel
- IPX5 water-resistance for outdoor use
- High definition sound
- 10-hour run time between charges
- The 25-watt output is a little underpowered
Dual Electronics 3-Way Outdoor Speakers – The Best Budget Outdoor Speakers
Homeowners looking for the most affordable outdoor speaker system will love the offer’s value with this Dual Electronics setup. With these speakers, you get digitally optimized expansive dispersion and potent bass.
The speaker system’s 3-way design features a 4-inch woofer for a long throw and luxurious, refined basslines. The 120-degree soundstage provides clear and crisp sound across your patio, with high-fidelity sound quality.
These speakers feature design and construction with a durable weatherproof coating that’s water and UV resistant. The ABS enclosure protects the speaker’s coil and internal components from dust and water that cause corrosion.
We recommend you get the additional Bluetooth amp accessory for a wireless music experience for your patio. We were disappointed that this feature doesn’t come standard, but at this price, we’re not complaining. These speakers come with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty against defects.
- 3-way 6.5-inch speakers for full sound stage experience
- 4-inch polyelite woofer for deep bass response
- 100-watt output for decent performance
- Compact and easy to set up with versatile orientation
- Weather-resistant design
- 100Hz-20kHz response for unrivaled sound
- Affordable and good value
- Bluetooth amplifier for remote connectivity
- No daisy-chain functionality
Yamaha NS-AW150WH 2-Way Outdoor Speakers
Yamaha is a top brand in speaker design and construction. We love Yamahas studio speakers and were expecting the same level of quality from this model. We weren’t disappointed. These Yamaha 2-way speakers perform beautifully, with a clear and crisp sound. We like that the bass isn’t overpowering, providing a refined sound.
With these speakers, you get a peak sound production of 120-watts, which is more than we expected from this compact design. These speakers are an acoustic masterpiece and suit a refined sound that’s not bass-heavy. If you enjoy listening to rock music or the classics, this system is your ideal choice.
The swivel bracket design makes mounting and positioning these speakers easy. However, you’ll have to wire them up to an external amplifier, and there’s no Bluetooth compatibility with these speakers. The speakers measure 5-inches in height, with mica-filled woofers and a 0.5-inch PEI dome tweeter for a refined sound.
These Yamaha speakers come with an IPX5 water-resistant rating, and magnetic shielding. You can expect top performance and extended service life from these Yamaha speakers.
- Clear, clean, and crisp sound performance
- Weather-resistant coating for outdoor use
- Mounting swivel brackets for easy installation and sound direction
- 2-way speaker system with digitally optimized expansive dispersion
- 120-degree sound stage
- 120-watt maximum sound output
- Lacks deep bass response
- No Bluetooth integration or dedicated amplifier
Innovative Technology Outdoor Rock Speaker Pair
“Rock” out all afternoon with this pair of Bluetooth speakers. We like the faux rock design of this model, providing a natural look to your entertainment area. Position these speakers in flowerbeds or rockeries for a natural effect. The life-like rock design will have your guests wondering where the sound is coming from – and they’ll never expect it the rocks in the flowerbed.
These speakers feature 5-watts, which might seem minimal. However, it’s surprising how powerful they are despite their small size. These speakers feature an IPX7 water-resistant rating, meaning you can leave them outdoors all-year-round.
These speakers have built-in Bluetooth amplifiers for standalone use and support connectivity to any mobile device. You get an astounding 30-hours of playback from a single charge, with micro-USB charging. The Bluetooth receiver in this model has a 30-foot range for use around the garden.
- Great for an aesthetic design that blends into your garden
- Weather-resistant and waterproof
- The Bluetooth amplifier connects to your device of choice
- 30-hour runtime on a single charge
- Micro-USB charging
- Available in 5 and 10-watt models
- Underpowered for large gatherings
Bose 34104 SE Elegant Outdoor Speakers
Bose is a leading brand in audio equipment. This company makes some of the best portable speakers and stereo equipment available.
With top-quality components and design, you get a 50-watt output and a refined sound with excellent balance. If you’re a bass-head, you probably won’t enjoy the Bose sound. However, if you enjoy classic rock, and you have a refined taste, the Bose is the model for you.
The glass-filled polypropylene cabinets provide water-resistant protection. You get resistance to salt-water, making them the ideal choice for coastal homes. The adjustable brackets provide easy positioning of the speakers, with slot-port tuning to reduce air-turbulence.
The 2.5-inch glass-filled speaker cone provides excellent sound production with a long throw. We would like to see the inclusion of a Bluetooth amplifier, but you’ll have to wire in these speakers to your receiver indoors.
- Premium design and construction
- Bose is a top-brand in portable speakers
- 50-watt RMS response
- 2.5-inch glass-filled speaker cone with full-range sound projection
- Easy-mount system included
- Built to marine-grade water resistance standards
- No Bluetooth connectivity
Dual Electronics LU48BTS Wireless Portable Bluetooth SpeakersThis Dual Electronics model might not have the most attractive finish, but it’s a useful and convenient portable speaker for your patio. You get a tough, water-resistant casing with carrying handle for easy transport to venues or around the yard.
On the front of the housing, you’ll find a Micro-USB port to charge your device. The internals of this speaker features true wireless connectivity through Bluetooth, allowing you to connect your device of choice.
You get an astounding 100-foot Bluetooth range with this model and a 12-hour playback from a full charge. The IPX4 water-resistant rating makes it the ideal choice for outdoor use, and the speaker produces a round, full, bass sound that’s ideal for electronic music with driving basslines.
This model’s lightweight design makes it easy to lift and pack in the car, taking the music with you wherever you go. The powerful 90-watt, 3-way speaker system offers excellent sound production and quality, with no distortion.
- Built-in Bluetooth amplifier with a 100-foot range
- All-weather IPX4 rating
- Lithium-ion battery provides 12-hour run time
- Front-mounted 1-Amp Micro-USB charging bank
- 3-way speaker design with a wide sound stage
- Deep bass response
- 90-watt output
- Design is not the best
JBL Charge 4 – Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker
If you want the ultimate portable outdoor speaker, we recommend the JBL Charge 4. This model features up to 20-hours of playtime from one charge, and fast-charging capability with USB-C functionality.
The internals of the speaker features a Bluetooth amplifier, allowing you to connect your device of choice for playback. JBL Connect+ tech provides a clear connection, with the JBL bass radiator giving this system plenty of kick if you enjoy bass-heavy tracks.
This JBL model comes with a durable casing that’s drop-resistant, with IPX7 water-resistant. You can drop this speaker in the pool, and you won’t have to worry about water damage. The compact design of this unit makes it easy to carry with you wherever you go. Whether you’re relaxing on the patio or by the campfire, the JBL Charge 4 is the perfect outdoor music companion.
The Charge 4 comes in an assortment of 10-colors, with all accessories included. You get a frequency range of up the 20kHz, providing powerful performance in a compact speaker.
- Lightweight, compact, portable Bluetooth speaker
- Available in 10-colors
- IPX7 water-resistance
- JBL bass radiator design
- 20-hours runtime of a single charge
- Durable and rugged housing, take it with you on camping trips
- Bluetooth connectivity to your device
- Premium Price
Other Best Selling Options
- CREATED TO LIVE AND PLAY OUTDOORS, your Atrium Speakers can be installed in any open space—by a pool, in the patio or a sunroom, or tucked away somewhere in the backyard. They will deliver EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT SOUND
- WIDER SOUND DISPERSION & SURPRISINGLY POWERFUL BASS driven by a 4 1/2" mineral filled Dynamic Balance polymer cone and a 3/4" anodized aluminum dome tweeter with rubber surround. 80W power CUTS THROUGH LOUD, JARRING BACKGROUND NOISES
- Recognized as ONE OF THE BEST-LOOKING OUTDOOR SPEAKERS, Polk Atrium 4 speakers come with a steeply-angled baffle design filling open spaces with big full-range sound! The outer profile EASILY BLENDS INTO THE CORNERS OF THE OUTDOOR WALLS
- ONE-CLICK SPEED-LOCK MOUNTING BRACKET offers EASY, ANTI-SLIP ONE-HANDED INSTALLATION allowing you to mount these speakers vertically or horizontally, to deliver the best possible sound in a variety of situations. Simply mount the swiveling C-bracket
- THE SPEAKER FOR ALL SEASONS – it’s rugged durability, high environmental endurance and superior quality has helped Polk Outdoor Speakers earn the all-weather Certification. EFFORTLESSLY WITHSTANDS EXTREME TEMPERATURES AND HEAVY RAIN year after year
- 240 WATT POWER: This wall mount high powered 2 way full range audio projection loudspeaker system has a maximum power output of 240 watt peak power / 20W+20W RMS so you can play your favorite tracks as loud as you want and with style
- 5.25" SUBWOOFER 1" TWEETER: This active + passive pair speaker kit is equipped with 5.25" long throw subwoofers and high performance 1" polymer dome tweeters with for surround stereo sound reproduction and impressive bass response
- COMPATIBLE WITH BLUETOOTH: This heavy duty speaker set is compatible with bluetooth for wireless audio streaming and works with devices like iPhone, android mobile phone, iPad, tablet, PC. Ideal for personal indoor home use or for outdoor DJ party
- WATER-RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION: The cabinet enclosure of this loud speaker pair is made w/ multi layer polymer w/ UV protection and is marine grade water-resistant and weatherproof to withstand extreme hot / cold temperatures. Great by the pool, patio, boat
- ADDITIONAL CONNECTIONS: This white high powered heavy duty speaker system is also equipped with a 3.5mm Aux input connector and gold plated binding post speaker plugs so you can connect additional external devices to your speaker system
- High sensitivity and power handling
- Paintable UV-resistant ABS enclosure with rustproof aluminum grille
- 90 degrees x 90 degrees Tractrix Horn tweeter for clean clear highs
- Supplied with C-style mounting bracket and stainless steel hardware
- 3/8"-16 threaded insert for optional mounts
- Yamaha advanced speaker design combines superior sound quality with excellent weatherproofing
- Powerful woofer delivers accurate mid/low frequency response
- Balanced dome tweeter ensures clear high frequency response
- Supplied brackets allow you to install the speakers vertically or horizontally, move through a range of 81-degrees right/left or up/down
- Excellent audio performance, weatherproof cabinets that are drip, water and UV resistant
- Definitive Technology - AW5500W: Single outdoor all-weather speaker
- Equipped with one 5.25-inch BDSS cast basket bass/mid driver
- Equipped with one 5x8-inch pressure-driven low-bass radiator
Outdoor Speakers Buyer’s Guide
If you’re planning your outdoor entertainment area, consider how your new outdoor speakers will perform, and where to put them. However, before you decide on positioning your speakers, you need to understand what to look for in the best outdoor speakers.
In this section, we’ll give you everything you need to know about selecting the right outdoor speakers for your patio setup.
Understanding Outdoor Speaker Specs
When assessing your speakers, going by how they look is a big mistake. Some models may have large housings and big speakers, but they underperform compared against smaller-looking models. Before you select any speaker, look at the manufacture specifications.
Let’s unpack the specifications you need to concern yourself with when selecting your outdoor speakers.
The frequency of the speaker is your first consideration. Manufacturers measure frequency in Hertz (Hz). Frequency response is a spec referring to the frequency range produced by the speaker.
When the speaker receives an audio signal at any given level and frequency, it produces a specific volume and loudness. In an ideal outdoor speaker, keeping the volume level the same, but changing the frequency results in no change in loudness.
Human hearing detects maximum frequency ranges between 20Hz to 20KHz. Therefore, look for a speaker offering a frequency output within this range.
We measure the impedance of a speaker in ohms. The impedance indicates how much resistance the amplifier encounters when trying to drive the speaker cones. Most outdoor speakers come with an 8-ohm impedance, which suits home audio equipment.
We measure this spec in decibels-per-watt. The speaker’s sensitivity refers to the loudness per watt. The higher your speaker sensitivity, the less power it needs to reach the maximum volume level. Low speaker sensitivity is around 88-dB/W, and high sensitivity speakers feature around 100-dB/W.
Power Handling Capacity
This specification refers to the max sound signal the speaker accepts, measured in watts. If you apply too much power to the speaker, it damages the voice coils and speaker cones, resulting in a distorted sound. For optimal results, select a speaker that handles the approximate max-power output of the receiver.
What are the Features of a Good Outdoor Speaker?
Bluetooth Capability and Speaker Range
Look for outdoor speakers that feature Bluetooth amplifiers. With this setup, you get wireless interaction between the speakers and your mobile device or laptop.
Bluetooth is ideal, allowing your friends to connect to the speaker to play their favorite music. Most Bluetooth speakers come with a range of up to 150-feet.
Sound Production and Quality
You could have high wattage speakers, but they can sound terrible if they don’t have the right design and construction.
For the best sound production, we recommend you buy speakers with a 3-way design for a wide sound stage and high-quality delivery.
Some outdoor speakers have a fixed design that plugs into your home’s electrical system. Others feature design with onboard lithium-ion batteries, and some require the use of AAA or AA batteries to work.
If you’re choosing a portable speaker, make sure it offers run times of more than 10-hours from a single charge. Check for Micro-USB charging for added convenience and portability.
Look for models that offer compatibility with all Bluetooth-enabled devices. Some models may also provide Wi-Fi connection, letting you link them to your home network.
Since your speakers are staying outdoors, they’ll need to have a decent level of weather resistance. Even if your speakers are under-roof, they’ll still have exposure to rain drifts and moist air.
Therefore, you’ll need to ensure they feature a weatherproof coating to ensure the water doesn’t damage it. Some models have marine-grade water protection, and up to IPX7 water resistance.
Lightweight Materials and Design
If you’re looking for a portable outdoor speaker, the design of the housing makes a difference. Look for models that offer a clean design, and reinforced materials to prevent damage if you drop or knock the speaker over.
Some wireless Bluetooth speakers let you “daisy-chain” multiple speakers together. Using daisy-chaining, you can set up multiple speakers around your home or outdoor area. They all operate wirelessly off the same signal, playing in sync with each other.
Housing Design and Style
The design of your speaker might not increase its performance, but it’s a vital component. Nobody wants ugly speakers ruining the aesthetic of their patio. Look for models that offer sleek design, with colors to match your patio furniture or the paint on your walls.
Some speakers come with housings that feature faux rock, allowing you to blend them into flowerbeds or rockeries for an eye-pleasing effect. It’s vital that you look for decorative models that feature Bluetooth compatibility, or you’ll have to run the speaker wire through your flowerbeds.
When purchasing your speaker, make sure it comes with a manufacturer’s warranty. The average warranty is between 1 to 5-years, depending on the brand.
However, it’s important to note that the manufacturer will only cover defects. If you blow the speaker playing it on high volume, they won’t issue you a refund, repair, or replacement.
Are You a Bass-Head?
When selecting your speakers, make sure you choose a model that suits your music tastes. If you enjoy listening to house music with a driving bassline, you’re going to need a different speaker compared to someone who enjoys rock or classical music.
If you want a party system for your patio, choose 6.5-inch speakers and 3-way speaker design for the best output.
Where’s the Best Place to Position My Speakers Outdoors?
Setting up your outdoor speakers is all about location, location, location. The correct positioning of your speakers allows for optimal performance. We recommend you follow our installation tips to help you get the most out of your outdoor speaker setup.
- Mount high – By mounting your speakers above head-height, you get the best sound projection, creating a wide sound stage on your patio. Securing them in position at around eight-feet offers you the best sound production. Avoid mounting them above 12-feet, as it results in a thin sound.
- Spacing – Space your speakers around 12-feet from your listening area, and at least 15-feet from each other if you have a multi-speaker setup.
- Mount near a wall – Position your speakers about six to eight inches from the wall. The wall will help to round out the sound. If there’s a bass port on the rear of the speaker, the wall deflects the bass, giving it a fuller sound.
- Tilt the speaker downwards – When installing the speakers, tilt them downward, aiming the speaker coil at a spot on the floor that’s 15-feet from the speaker’s base for best results.
- Coverage – If you find your speakers aren’t loud enough, add more speakers rather than running them on full blast.
- Experiment before you secure the speaker – We recommend playing around with the speaker positioning before you secure them in place.
Does the Brand Make a Difference?
Yes, the brand makes a difference in the performance of the speaker – and the price tag. Well-known brands like Bose and JBL typically sell for more. These companies invest millions in the research-and-development of speaker systems.
When you buy a top brand, you’re benefiting from top-quality engineering. Therefore, you’re not just paying for the speaker materials; you’re also paying for the design work involved in testing the speaker and bringing it to market.
However, there are plenty of affordable brands that produce excellent speakers. Manufacturers like Dual Electronics make fantastic speakers with affordable price tags.
What Is a Passive Speaker System?
If you’re buying a “passive” speaker system, it means that the speaker doesn’t have a direct power source included. Therefore, you need to hook it up to an amplifier to provide the signal and power.
In this review, we have plenty of models that offer built-in amplifiers. An integrated Bluetooth amp essentially turns your speaker into a portable entertainment system. It requires no external amplifier to run, and pairs with your device of choice.
Look for models that have the latest Bluetooth systems. Older Bluetooth technology may cause interference with Wi-Fi networks, dropping or distorting the signal.
Outdoor Speakers FAQs
What kind of wattage is best for outdoor speakers?
A set of 75-watt outdoor speakers provide you with enough coverage for 350-square feet. For areas up to 500-square feet, we recommend you look at an 80-wat to 100-watt model.
Is a 50-watt speaker loud enough for outdoor use?
50-watts sounds like it’s not much, but it’s plenty of power for an outdoor speaker. If you want more power and a refined sound, look for models that allow for daisy-chaining multiple speakers together via Bluetooth integration.
Do more watts give you more volume?
Yes, the higher the wattage, the louder the operating peak of the speaker. Total wattage provides a good benchmark, but it’s not the defining factor to pay attention to when selecting your speaker. If you have a 100-watt speaker, you will need to double the output to 200-watts for a 3Db difference in sound levels at maximum operating frequencies.
How do I find good-quality speakers?
If you’re looking for the best quality sound from your outdoor speakers, pay attention to the variation in the speakers’ loudness between operating frequencies—the flatter the frequency response curve, the better quality the speaker.
The Best Outdoor Speakers – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best set of speakers for your outdoor area. If you’re struggling with your choice, why not rely on our top picks for your new outdoor entertainment package?
The Pyle Wall Mount Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker System is our top choice for this review. This 6.5-inch speaker system features Bluetooth operation with full weatherproof design and an IPX5 rating. You can daisy-chain sets of these speakers together, creating the outdoor entertainment center of your dreams.
The Olafus Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers win our award for the best premium outdoor speakers in this review. With eight different lighting colors, this unit is an attractive addition to your patio or backyard. It’s a fully portable speaker featuring Bluetooth integration, allowing you to connect up to 200-speakers together. Featuring Wi-Fi integration, you can link this system to your device in seconds. You get high-definition sound, with IPX5 water resistance for all-weather use.
If you’re on a budget, check out the Dual Electronics 3-Way Outdoor Speakers. These speakers offer your marine-grade water protection, with Bluetooth integration to your mobile device. The built-in Bluetooth amplifier means you don’t need a stereo system to operate these speakers. With a 1-year warranty and an affordable price tag, these speakers are a fantastic budget model for your backyard.