The lazy afternoons and warm evenings of the summer are perfect for outdoor activities. With July in full swing and the summer rages on, it’s time to enjoy it before the cold weather comes back.
Are you a fan of going to the drive-in? There’s something mystical about the experience of viewing a movie outdoors. Fortunately, you don’t have to pack the kids into the car to enjoy an open-air movie experience anymore.
All you need to enjoy a movie outdoors is an outdoor projection screen. Set one up in your yard, flip on the projector, and watch the latest movies outdoors in the fresh air, instead of having everyone cramped around the couch indoors.
Invite your friends over for an evening screening and light up the BBQ. Make the most out of your summer fun, and get yourself an outdoor projector. In this post, we’ll look at the best outdoor projector screens. We’ll give you more insight on the top models available, as well as our preferred choice.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Projector Screens Reviews
- 2.1 Pyle 120-inch Projector Screen – The Best Outdoor Projector Screen
- 2.2 KUNHEWUHUA 30.5-inch Inflatable Movie Screen – Best premium Pick
- 2.3 Mdbebbron 120-inch Projection Screen – The Best Budget Outdoor Projector Screen
- 2.4 SW-LAMP Indoor Outdoor Projector Screen
- 2.5 Vamvo Outdoor Indoor Projector Screen
- 2.6 AYAOQIANG 120-inch Projector Screen
- 2.7 P-Jing 120-inch Outdoor Projector Screen
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Outdoor Projector Screens Buyer’s Guide
- 5 A Quick Guide to Setting Up a Backyard Movie Theater
- 6 Outdoor Projector Screen FAQs
- 7 The Best Outdoor Projector Screens – The Verdict
If you want to start your outdoor movie theater right away, you can rely on one of our top picks for your outdoor projector screen. We have models in different sizes, and at various price points to suit your needs and budget.
Best Pick: Pyle 120-inch Projector Screen
- 120" FLAT FRAME SCREEN: Pyle professional 120 inch home theater fixed flat projection screen features a special spring stretching system to make the projection 100% flat ideal for home theater, office presentation, school or classroom applications.
- WIDESCREEN ASPECT RATIO: It's 16:9 aspect ratio is the same aspect ratio as a full HD TV, making this ideal for applications where a flat-panel TV isn't large enough. Now, enjoy watching great movie marathon experience with your family or friends.
- MATTE SCREEN SURFACE: The high grade matte stretchable PVC screen reduces light ripples and glare to create impeccable color balance for a realistic image. It also delivers 160° degree wide off axis viewing which makes every seat the best spot ever.
- FLAT LEVELED DISPLAY: Pyle features universal wall mounting for flat surface installation to maintain its diagonal shape. At the back of the screen displays a safe stretchable spring to make the screen flat
- BLACK VELVET MASKING BORDER: It is especially designed aluminum beveled frame covered with black velvet planted in front for optimum image focus and alignment. It also serves in absorbing projector light overshoot and assists in picture contrast.
This model takes our award for the best overall model in this review. The Pyle features a 120-inch screen, allowing you to mount it to a wall on your home’s interior or exterior. The spring stretch system on the screen keeps the surface flat, and the 16:9 aspect ration of the screen makes it perfect for watching HD and Blu-ray movies.
Premium Pick: KUNHEWUHUA 30.5-foot Inflatable Movie Screen
- -Bring your favorite movies, cartoons and TV shows to the big screen in park.
- -large inflated movie screens are easy to set up in minutes or less, very easy to inflate and use.
- -Ideal for camping adventures, picnics, outdoor birthdays and wedding parties, will definitely impress your family and friends.
- -It features an Oxford cloth material projection surface meaning you can clean it easily if surface gets dirty.
- -We arrange both 110v and 220v version of blowers for different countries customers, please inform me which version is your country standard voltage.
If you’re looking to turn your backyard into an IMAX cinema, we recommend looking at the KUNHEWUHUA. This model comes with a massive 30.5-foot screen with an inflatable frame. Plugin your blower, and you’ll have a theater screen set up in your backyard in minutes. With an easy-clean Oxford surface and plenty of tension on the screen, you get an outstanding outdoor movie experience this summer.
Budget Pick: Mdbebbron 120-inch Projection Screen
- CONVENIENT TO STORAGE AND CARRY - Compact one-piece,lightweight and folding design. You can fold the screen in small size and put it in your backpack or suitcase
- WIDE APPLICATION - Ideal choice for home theater movie,office,education, conference room presentation, public display, outdoor movie and more
- ANTI-CREASE AND HIGH ABSORBANCE MATERIAL - Made with natural Polyester fabric that The projection is sharper and brighter than most other projection screens, The Projection Screen are thicken and smooth, no wrinkle when folded / crushed.
- EASY TO SET UP – The Projection Screen can be fastened easily with hooks, ropes, bracket, nails, double side tape on the wall/mount.
- FORMAT AND SIZE - 16:9 screen format, diagonal 120" offer 104" x 58" viewing area
This 120-inch model features a spring-tensioned screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio. This model folds away for compact storage and easy transport. The price is fantastic, and you get a full HD movie experience in your backyard for less than $45. The anti-crease material has high-absorbance rates, providing a crystal-clear picture for your movie night.
Outdoor Projector Screens Reviews
Our top models are the best choices in this review. In this section, we’ll unpack them in further detail, and look at a few other models we think are worth including in this review.
Pyle 120-inch Projector Screen – The Best Outdoor Projector ScreenThe Pyle 120-inch outdoor projection screen wins the top honors in this review. This model comes with a 120-inch viewing surface, featuring design and construction with non-creasing material that’s easy to clean.
The rear of the screen has a black finish, helping the viewing surface produce a clear, bright, crisp picture when watching your favorite films. The screen mounts to the frame using a specialized spring system that keeps the screen tight, eliminating the chance of wrinkles or bellowing during use.
This model comes with a universal wall mounting, making it easy to attach to any wall inside or outside your home in seconds. The black velvet border on this model offers optimal image alignment and focus, helping to absorb and projector overshoot.
The high-quality PVC screen comes with a matte finish, providing excellent image rendering and color representation. This model offers a 160-degree viewing angle, making it suitable for large gatherings. You get a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is ideal for watching modern movies.
- Aluminum bevel frame
- Spring-stretch system for a tight screen
- Stretchable matter PVC screen
- 120-inch screen with 16:9 aspect ratio
- Black velvet rear panel for image enhancement and light absorption
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Not weatherproof
- Hard to pack away and store
KUNHEWUHUA 30.5-inch Inflatable Movie Screen – Best premium Pick
If you’re planning an outdoor event or live on a large property and want an outdoor cinema, this model is a top choice. This screen is a gigantic 30.5-feet in diameter, making it suitable for the largest outdoor events. If you’re running a production company and need a screen for live events, this model is your top choice. This inflatable model has a tough skin and will stand up to any thorns or gnarled roots in the ground that might cause a puncture.
Attach an air blower to the screen and blow it up in a few minutes. When fully inflated, the screen won’t move around in the wind, providing a stable viewing surface for your video material. The 16:9 aspect ratio is ideal for all modern media formats, allowing you to watch movies, TV shows, or screen music videos.
The matte-white finish of the Oxford material used in the screen’s design accentuates the color and definition in your movie. The rear of the screen features blackout for enhanced picture quality, even during daytime screenings.
This model wipes clean with a sponge and a light soap solution. Setup and breakdown are easy, and the screen folds away for compact storage and easy transport.
- Huge 30.5-foot screen for the biggest outdoor screenings
- Oxford cloth for easy cleaning
- Inflatable for easy setup
- Good image enhancement
- Tight screen for optimal projection and image
- Large and heavy to move around
Mdbebbron 120-inch Projection Screen – The Best Budget Outdoor Projector Screen
This model offers the best value for money in this review. For less than $45, you could be watching movies in the backyard with your family this weekend.The Mdbebbron 120-inch outdoor projector screen features design and construction with a matte-white finish on the viewing surface. The screen accentuates colors and definition in images, giving you a clear, crisp picture.
This model doesn’t come with a frame. To set it up, you wind the mounting rope through the eye-loops outside the screen. You can set this model up anywhere, and it’s an excellent choice for a portable movie screen to take on vacation or to a friend’s house.
The screen folds up in minutes, and it’s easy to clean. You get a 16:9 aspect ratio to suit most modern media formats, and it’s a good choice for playing 4K and Full-HD movies. The screen features design and construction with non-creasing materials, ensuring you get an easy breakdown and set up every time you use it.
- Polyester fabric construction
- Excellent color representation
- Folding design for compact storage
- No-crease screen for easy folding and transport
- 16:9 aspect ratio for full-screen use
- 120-inch screen size
- Easy setup with mounting hooks included
- Not weatherproof
- Requires disassembly after use
SW-LAMP Indoor Outdoor Projector ScreenThis model has a hefty price tag, but it’s a great choice for a premium screen and a top contender for the best overall model in this review. With this outdoor projector screen, you get a full aluminum frame and stand for the screen.
The foldable stand makes this model the ideal choice for a freestanding model for your yard. The frame folds apart in seconds, with easy setup of the screen. The 90-inch screen features a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal for playing modern movies and TV shows.
The screen clasps together on the frame for easy setup and breakdown, and you get a wide 160-degree viewing angle. The display features design and construction with a matte white finish on the front and a blackout cover on the rear. As a result, you get a clear, defined picture with excellent color rendering.
The screen is easy to wipe down and clean, and the lightweight frame makes it easy to carry. Pack it into the compact carry case and take this screen with you on vacation or to a friend’s house for a movie night.
- A compact system with folding frame for easy setup and transport
- 80-inch screen size
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Display suits 4K and UHD movies
- Enriched colors and clear images
- Blacking screen for light absorption
- Not weatherproof
Vamvo Outdoor Indoor Projector ScreenThe Vamvo 120-inch outdoor projector screen is a top choice in this review. Featuring design and construction with an aluminum frame, this model is sturdy and wind-resistant. The two support legs of this model feature a fold-out base, and tie-down ropes to keep the screen secure, even on windy evenings.
You can set up this model in less than 5-minutes, with aluminum tubing inserting into the plastic frame fittings. The screen clips into place along with the frame, providing a stable viewing surface. The screen itself features design and construction with a matte-white material for clear, sharp images and accurate color representation.
It’s easy to set up and breakdown the Vamvo, and you get a material carry case included with your purchase. This model is highly portable, making for easy transport and storage. Take it on vacation, or over to a friend’s house for movie night.
This model features a 16:9 aspect ratio for use with modern media formats. The rear of the screen features blackout, ensuring there’s no light-bleed into the picture from the back. You get a wide 160-degree viewing angle, making it a top choice for large gatherings.
- Comes with an aluminum stand for freestanding setup
- Lightweight frame for easy setup and breakdown
- Comes with a carry bag for easy transport
- 120-inch screen size with 16:9-inch aspect ratio
- Tie-downs included for windy weather
- 2-year warranty
- Not weatherproof
AYAOQIANG 120-inch Projector ScreenThis model is a top choice thanks to its affordable price and accessories included in the kit. The screen is 2.5x thicker than most other models, with a blackout back to reduce light bleed through the screen. It’s easy to wipe down, and the non-creasing material ensures you get a flat screen with no bellowing or lines.
We like the stainless steel frame that comes with this model, making it a semi-permanent structure in your yard that’s resistant to weather corrosion. The frame pieces together in minutes, providing a tight screen, with sturdy legs that won’t fall over in the wind. We would like to see the inclusion of tie-down ropes to make it stable in breezy conditions.
The screen provides a crystal clear picture, suitable for viewing 4K and Blu-ray movies, and you get a 16:9 aspect ratio for your favorite films. The screen packs away into a dedicated carry bag, with a total weight of less than 7-lbs.
- Excellent value for a freestanding screen
- 120-inch screen with 16:9 aspect ration
- Suitable for 4K and Full-HD movies
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Easy setup and breakdown
- Carry bag included
- Not weather resistant
- No tie-downs for windy conditions
P-Jing 120-inch Outdoor Projector ScreenThe P-Jing outdoor projector screen is another contender for the best budget buy in this review. With this model, you get a 16:9 aspect ratio, and a screen suitable for playing 4K, Full-HD, and Blu-ray movies. The non-wrinkle screen surface ensures you never get any creases and a true movie-like experience.
The edge of the screen features 12 metal grommets, and you get easy setup to any outdoor structure in minutes. It’s a great choice for a portable screen to take on vacation or to a friend’s house for a movie night.
The back of the screen comes with thick blackout material to prevent light bleed and enhance picture quality.
- 120-inch screen with 16:9-inch aspect ratio
- Non-wrinkle screen
- Light absorbing design for clear picture quality
- Easy to clean
- Easy to open and setup
- Doesn’t come with a frame
- Not weather-resistant
Other Best Selling Options
- Bigger Screen Size than Similar Products - The white Projection Screen Size is 13 feet by 8 feet with an aspect ratio of 16 9
- Front and back projection capabilities - stunning front & rear projection material accommodates placement of the projector behind or in front of the screen allowing for greater flexibility
- Less 5 minutes to setup - with the quietest and most powerful blower on the market - No screws or tools needed - everything is included inside the box
- Quick 5 minutes to store - unzip the zipper located in the black frame and in a few minutes it will deflate and be ready to get stored inside a convenient included storage bag - the black frame can be wiped clean with any cloth while the white screen is held on by Velcro and it's fully detachable and easy to clean
- Awesome outdoor movie theater - bring your family and friends together for a night of endless fun in your backyard great for tailgates and camping adventures
- Tough Durable Frame - This inflatable projector screen frame is made of thick tough oxford fabric which is sturdy to hold strong and upright, providing you a stable and safe video projection
- 14 Feet Large Screen - Measures 96"(W.) and 58"(H.), 16:9 Aspect ratio, wide viewing area. This white screen consists of delicate silk cloth,can be detachable for easy cleaning & safe storage
- Front & Rear Projection: Comes with quiet but powerful air blower, This inflatable projector movie screen can be quickly blown up with low noise and keep inflated throughout the show when plugged in
- Easy to Carry: Comes with a storage bag which is convenient to carry it wherever you want, This lightweight inflatable screen is portable for men and women, guys and ladies, teens and kids. Travel friendly portable projector screen for backyard, outdoors games, TV videos, picnic, camping, outdoor party and wedding parties
- Easy to Set up - The inflatable outdoor projector screen is easy to inflated or take-down in 2 minutes. The included air blower, tent, rope and inflatable stake gives a faster installation
- Very Easy To Set Up—— It takes less than 5 minutes to fully set up the entire assembly.
- Convenient Outdoor Projection Screen—— Our screen, with fordable and lightweight stand, makes it to be the most convenient portable outdoor projection screen for its size. Carrying Box Size：22*14*4 inches, Weight: 9 lbs
- Upgrade Design—— The latest version has bigger screen with even more stability than the previous best-selling version with 120" in diagonal, 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Outdoor Projector screen—— ropes on each side of screen, are provided to combat tough windy weather.
- Reliable Product Quality—— Vamvo provides 2 year for the projector screen. If you're not completely satisfied with the order, please let us know and you'll be offered a refund or Replacement alternatively within the first 3 months. Absolutely risk -free purchase for you.
- ▶【Easy to Set UP】 The projector screen with stand 135" is ready for quickly set-up in few minutes. Just press the metal snaps around the portable frame to quickly fasten the projector screen to the one-piece frame flatly, detachable legs can be assembled easily with no tools required.
- ▶【Excellent Projection Display】1.1 Gian, Active 3D and 4K Ultra HD, decent size 16:9 aspect ratio, 160 degree wide viewing angle, the movie screen is designed for providing sharp and high-resolution images, enriched colors and supreme watching experience from different viewing position.Projector screen with stand,perfect for home theater, schools, offices, weddings, church;can be used for PowerPoint presentations and other displays
- ▶【Convenient to Carry】The projector screen made by lightweight but sturdy aluminum, the portable movie screen frame can be easily transported to anywhere with included soft padded carrying bag and be well protected. The 135" outdoor movie screen folds super compactly than most 4K HD projector screens that make it easy to travel along with for family trips, camping, or backyard movie night ect.
- ▶【Stable Stand Wrinkle Free Screen 】Premium PVC material makes the projetcor screen wrinke free, and easy to clean.The silver aluminum frame,durable for free standing in light wind for the outdoor use.The Stability-Ensure kit are included: 4 ground stakes, 2 rigging cords and 2 support rings. You won't have to worry about the frame or legs bending or broken in the wind.
- ▶【100% WORRY-FREE ORDER】The portable projector screen with stand provides 100% satisfaction, zero hassle returns as well as Lifetime Technical Support. Just purchase this outdoor movie screen with stand freely! Any doubt or assistance, contact us without hesitation.
- 120-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 59.0" H x 104.7" W. Overall Size: 88.9" H x 109.8" W x 36.7" Leg Size. Silver Aluminum Frame. Front Projection
- Projector Screen Material: CineWhite UHD-B (Tensioned Matte White), 1.3 Gain. 4K Ultra HD and Active 3D Projection Ready. Features 180 degree viewing angle with fully Black backed Front Projection. ISF Certified for Accurate color points, Dynamic Range, and Color Temperature. Mildew resistant, and easy to clean with soap and water. Compatible with standard, short-throw and ultra-short-throw projectors.
- Assembles in minutes without the use of tools! Lightweight aluminum square tube construction easily transports with included padded carrying bag. Projector screen is mildly weather resistant, but should not be left exposed to the elements for extended periods of time. For maximum longevity, disassemble screen and store away indoors.
- Features a fully tensioned, snap button frame that ensures a flat projection. Includes: single-piece aluminum frame with detachable legs, projector screen material, carrying bag, ground stakes, rigging cord, and support rings.
- 2-Year / 3-Year ENR-G, Manufactures Warranty by Elite Screens' an ISO9001 manufacturer since 2004 and Lifetime Tech Support by Email, Web Chat or Toll Free Phone Call by Elite's Professional Service Team. Elite Screens Get the Big Picture.
Outdoor Projector Screens Buyer’s Guide
The weather is warm, and the sky is clear, it’s the perfect evening for setting up a cinema in your backyard. In this section, we’ll give you everything you need to know about choosing the right screen for your outdoor movie experience.
What are the Features of an Outdoor Projector Screen?
What should you look for when choosing an outdoor projector screen? It’s not as simple as hanging a sheet on the wall. Outdoor cinema screens feature design and construction with specialized materials to improve the image quality of your movie.
There’s plenty of factors to consider when selecting your screen. From aspect ratio to screen materials, you need to understand all the components that go into making the best outdoor projector screens.
Gain – Light Reflection
The gain is a critical feature of your screen. Gain refers to measuring the light-reflectivity of the material used in the construction of the screen. If your screen has a gain measurement of 1.0, the material enhances the brightness of the image on your screen. Less than 1.0 reduces image quality, sharpness, and brightness.
The gain is an important consideration when selecting your screen. In some setups, it might be challenging to control the ambient light surrounding the projector.
A gain lower than 1.0 results in a blurry movie if you’re trying to watch a video in the afternoon, while there’s light outdoors,
High gain balances the light, allowing for an accurate and high-quality image on the screen during the daytime. The higher the gain, the better refined the image, giving you a clear, crisp picture, even during the daytime.
Choosing the right viewing angle makes a significant difference in the picture quality on your screen. The viewing angle describes the maximum angle from the center of the screen that provides the best high-quality image.
Most projectors send the light to the screen at a perpendicular angle. This strategy sends less light to the sides of your projector screen. If you’re viewing the screen from a wide-angle, you’ll have a distorted, dark view.
High-gain materials used in projector screens will offer a lower viewing angle. That’s not an issue if only a few people are watching the movie. However, if you’re going to invite the neighbors around for a flick, you’ll need a high viewing angle.
Outdoor projector screens come in a range of materials. Don’t assume that because it’s white fabric, that they all have the same properties. The type of material used in the manufacture of the screen will play a significant role in picture quality.
Different materials suit different environments and video applications. Some are more effective for tasks like slideshows, while others feature select usage for movie projection. The lighting in the background, the viewing angle, and the media your viewing all make a difference in your projector screen’s outcome.
The color of the back of the screen makes a difference in the image quality. We hear you saying that you’re not watching the back of the screen, and we get it. However, a black backing on the screen absorbs light, making the image crisper and cleaner.
Choosing the Right Size Screen
Selecting the right screen size for your yard is essential. While we would all love to set up a 30-foot monster in your backyard, most of us don’t have that kind of space. We all imagine setting up the biggest screen possible in our yard. However, bigger is not always better.
Using a larger screen requires a high-quality projector suitable for the task. If you’re using a basic setup, a larger screen might distort the picture quality, ruining your outdoor cinema. Nobody wants to watch a movie that’s pixelated and muddy.
The size of the screen determines how far away you need to sit for the optimal viewing experience. If you’re using a 1080p HD projector, and a 120-inch screen, you’ll need to sit at least 120 to 180-inches away to reduce strain on your eyes.
Inflatable Screen or Fixed Frame?
The best outdoor projector screens are available in fixed or inflatable models. A fixed model is the most popular choice for smaller outdoor setups. Fixed models typically come in sizes up to 120-inches. You’ll need to decide on a model with a freestanding frame, or a screen you attach directly to your wall.
Freestanding models are great for outdoor cinemas, but they cost more than the hanging types. However, hanging screens are the most popular choice because you attach them to an exterior wall. They save time in setup and breakdown, making it a simple installation, with your outdoor cinema ready to go in minutes.
Inflatable outdoor projector screens are convenient and blow up in a few minutes using an electric inflating device. Most inflatable screens are large, with screens up to 30-feet in size. These models are the ideal choice for setting up large media events, such as screens at concerts.
The screen requires no assembly of parts, you plug it into the air blower, and it sets itself up. Deflate the screen, and it packs up quickly, allowing for easy transport and storage. Punctures are the only issue with inflatable screens, but they aren’t common and easy to repair.
A Quick Guide to Setting Up a Backyard Movie Theater
Setting up an outdoor movie theater in your yard is a great way to enjoy the warm evenings in the summertime. Enjoy the fresh air and relax with the family as you watch the latest movies in the comfort of your backyard.
Kids and adults both love going to the cinema, who doesn’t enjoy a good movie? This section will walk you through everything you need to do to set up a cinema in your garden this summer.
To start, you’ll need to ensure you have everything on this checklist.
- A projector – Make sure you choose a high-quality model with a good lumen count
- A dedicated laptop or PC for playing the movie
- A decent sound system with enough power to play outdoors, you’ll need at least two speakers
- Your outdoor projector screens
- An extension cord with plenty of ports for your electronics
Choose a model from this review to suit your needs. If you’re setting up in a covered patio, you can opt for a fixed unit for a permanent movie screen. Freestanding models are a good choice if you need to set up on the lawn or take the screen to a friend’s house.
Setting the Correct Screen Distance
Always set up your seating with a minimum distance of 1.5-times the screen size. Therefore, if you have a 120-inch screen, make sure you set up a minimum range of 180-inches to the screen for the best viewing experience that won’t strain your eyesight.
Selecting a Digital Projector
The projector is the heart of your outdoor cinema. The bulk of your outdoor entertainment budget will go on this device. However, you can find some great models available online for less than $500. We recommend avoiding models below $500, as they won’t have a decent level of image quality, and you’re likely to experience pixelation issues.
Look for screens that have a 16:9 aspect ratio for watching your movies. This ratio is ideal for modern films, including Blu-ray, 4K, and full-HD formats.
Setting Up Your Sound System
When setting up your sound system, we recommend choosing a model that comes with two speakers. You can go with a 5.1-surround sound system, but it’s going to take ages to pack everything up after finishing the movie. You’ll probably be tired, with the last thing on your mind is tidying up. The extra speakers will be a hassle that you won’t need in your life.
A twin speaker system gives you all the sound you need, and it’s easy to pack away. We recommend placing the speakers on the sides of the screen. Don’t set them up behind the screen. During loud action scenes, the speakers will shake the screen and distort the picture. You’ll also have a muffled sound that ruins the movie experience.
Surge Protection for Your Extension Cord
Make sure you have surge control for your plug point. A projector and sound system are expensive pieces of equipment. If there’s a surge, you could blow the projector, and the manufacturer won’t issue a refund in this circumstance.
Watch the Weather
If you’re planning on hosting an outdoor movie event for your family and friends, make sure you keep your eye on the weather.
Thunderstorms can come out of nowhere in the summer. The last thing you need is a freak rainstorm rolling through your neighborhood as your halfway through the movie. The rain will ruin your equipment and the evening.
Tips for Using Your Backyard Projector Screen
Before selecting the best projector screen for your backyard, make sure it’s compatible with your projector’s aspect ratio. If you fail to match the AR, you either do not use the entire screen or have enough screen real estate to cover the full projected image.
Before ordering your screen, mock it up in your proposed space outdoors. Make sure you have enough room to fit the screen before you order it online.
The closer you place the projector to the screen, the better the image. We recommend a short-throw projector. Short-throws won’t cause and casting issues with shadows when people grab a drink or refill their popcorn.
Outdoor Projector Screen FAQs
Will my projector work outside in the daylight?
Surprisingly, the screen isn’t the issue if you want to watch movies on your screen during the daytime. If you’re going to run your outdoor cinema set up during the day, you need a projector with the right lumen count. The more lumens the projector has, the clearer the picture in daylight conditions.
Can I place speakers behind the screen without affecting the image quality?
Yes, the screen will deflect the sound, giving it a muffled sound. The soundwaves will reverberate against the screen, causing it to shake. To eliminate this issue, purchase a perforated screen that allows the sound waves to pass through the material.
Which model is a better choice? The 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, or 2.35:1 Format?
The aspect ratio of your screen makes a difference in your outdoor movie experience. Check out the following formats and choose the one that’s right for your backyard cinema.
- 1:1 – Good for slideshows and commercial presentations. Not suitable for movies.
- 4:3 – (NTSC Format) This aspect ratio is suitable for gaming and classroom training, not for movies.
- 16:9 – (HDTV Format) This video format is suitable for gaming and home theater.
- 2.35:1 – This format provides you true cinemascope format suitable for Blu-ray movies.
What’s the best screen for a short-throw projector?
All short-throw projectors require flat projection screens due to the projector being closer to the surface. It would help if you had a fixed-frame tensioned screen that doesn’t have any folds or curls that distort the picture.
The Best Outdoor Projector Screens – The Verdict
By now, you should have your eye on a specific outdoor projection screen for your yard. If you’re struggling with your purchase decision, why not rely on our top picks for your outdoor cinema?
The Pyle 120-inch projection screen is our top choice for the best overall projector screen in this review. This high-quality screen features design and construction with stretchy materials, and a spring-loaded frame, creating a tight screen. Enjoy the best image and color representation, with a rear blackout panel that absorbs light, giving you a crystal-clear display.
If you’re looking for the biggest screen available, the KUNHEWUHUA 30.5-foot model is a top choice. This inflatable screen comes with easy setup and high-quality materials. The large 30.5-foot screen is suitable for HD movies, providing excellent color and image representation. If you want to invite the neighborhood around for movie night, we recommend this model.
The Mdbebbron 120-inch Projection Screen wraps up our top choices. It’s an affordable model with many of the best overall screen features in this review. For less than $45, you get a 4K and Full-HD compatible screen with a sturdy frame and easy setup.