You sit down on your porch to enjoy a cup of tea in the last few fading minutes of sunlight before the evening clouds the sky in darkness.
Within 2-minutes, you already have four mosquito bites – great. These pesky flying insects carry a wide range of diseases, and it’s a fact that malaria, a mosquito-borne illness, is the biggest global killer.
While Americans probably don’t have to worry about dangerous diseases like malaria, West Nile Virus fever, and Zika virus, that doesn’t make a mosquito bite any less irritating.
Using mosquito spray might be useful at keeping these bloodsuckers off of your skin. However, they contain numerous harmful and toxic chemicals, such as permethrin, which kills off pollinators like bees in your yard.
If you want to keep the mosquitos at bay, without smearing toxins on your skin, then consider buying an electric bug zapper. This piece of tech draws mosquitos and all types of other bugs to its hypnotizing light, frying them before they have a chance to bite you.
In this review of the best bug zappers, we’ll look at the best models available, and make a few recommendations you can trust.
Top 3 Picks
- 1 Top 3 Picks
- 2 Bug Zapper Reviews
- 3 Bug Zapper Buyers Guide
- 4 Bug Zapper FAQ
- 5 Conclusion
If you don’t have the time to browse this entire article, and you’re looking for the best bug zappers available, you can rely on our top choices.
Best Pick: Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect Killer
- Advanced Electronic Insect Control,ultraviolet(UV) light units
- 1 Acre Killing Radius, 40-Watt Bulb,the cord is 9” in length,insect traps. Place the unit 25 away from the area intended for human activity. Position the insect killer between the source of insects (woods,lowlands, etc.) and the area to be protected
- Non Clogging Killing Grid. Repel-pesticides, assembled unit size- 9-3/4 Inch L. x 9-3/4 Inch W x 16-1/2 H
- Instantaneous Operation,insect traps,continuous and Uninterrupted Service.
- This product is for outdoor use only.Animal repellent decoys.
This bug zapper wins the title of the best overall model in this review. The light attracts mosquitos and all types of bugs, ushering them to destruction. We like the scent cartridge that produces a scent similar to CO2, attracting more mosquitos to their demise.
Premium Pick: Nozkito Bug Zapper Lantern UV Lamp
- ARE MOSQUITOES RUINING YOUR EVENING? This bug zapper will defend you and your family against mosquitoes and other biting bugs the easy way. This mosquito zapper features a high intensity UV light that attracts flying insects into the device, instantly killing them. Just plug it in and you’re good to go!
- LET’S FRY THOSE LITTLE MONSTERS! The powerful 2000 Volt grid provides effective ½ acre coverage to shield you and your home from unwelcome visitors. That’s more than 21,000 square feet! Effective insect control against annoying and disease carrying bugs at your house, office, restaurant, etc.
- IT WORKS, RAIN OR SHINE & ONLY TAKES SECONDS TO CLEAN! - The rugged and waterproof rain cover will not rust, crack or fade. The removable bottom tray ensures easy cleaning and bug disposal. Safe to operate 24/7.
- NO CHEMICALS, NO SPRAYING, NO ODORS! - This mosquito lamp ensures you can sit back and relax without having to worry about your kids or pets health. There’s no need to slather on heavy bug spray or bathe the property in chemicals. Maintenance free and easy to use without pesticides.
- 12 MONTHS WARRANTY & RESPONSIVE U.S. CUSTOMER SUPPORT! - We are a small family-owned business, located on the West Coast, right here in the U.S.A. You can feel confident about your purchase and should there ever be an issue, we’re easy to reach and we’re always happy to help. Delivering exceptional service and support is our priority and 100% customer satisfaction is our goal.
This high-quality UV lamp wins our award for the best premium bug zapper in this review. The 2000-volt zapper is effective at killing bugs, attracting bugs from over a ½ an acre away. It may be a little pricey than the other units in this review, but you’ll know where your money went when you light up this zapper.
Budget Pick: Hoont Powerful Electric Indoor Fly Zapper
- PESTICIDE, CHEMICAL & ODOR FREE – Get rid of all flying insects and bugs without the use of pesticides or dangerous chemicals. Maintenance free and easy to use; simply plug in the bug zapper and watch the device eliminate all pesky and annoying flies by electrocuting them in the metal grid.
- Powerful & Large area coverage – effective for a large area of up to 6, 000 sq. Feet! Perfect for home, office, kitchens, restaurants, schools, hospitals, etc. Or for commercial and industrial use. Protects and prevents against annoying and disease carrying insects and flies!
- Effective fly & bug control – The Hoont fly zapper insect and bug Killer features two high intensity 10 watt ultraviolet bulbs that attracts all pesky flying insects into the device. Insects then make contact with an extremely powerful high voltage electrically charged metal grid, instantly killing them. Kills a limitless amount of insects. Get rid of all Flying insects and bugs!
- ULTRA SAFE & CLEAN – The Hoont fly and bug zapper features a detachable chain, designed for wall mounting to keep out-of-reach of children and pets, or can be free standing. Dead insects get collected at the tray at bottom of unit, which can then be easily removed for cleaning and bug disposal. Safe to operate 24/7. Features an easy to clean electric grid.
- Specifications – for indoor use, or outdoors where unit will stay dry. / power: 20 watts/ size: 16 x 12 x 3 inches/ cord length: 4 ft. / bulbs: two 10 watt UV bulbs (Replaceable)
If you’re looking for the best budget bug zapper, then choose the Hoont electric indoor bug zapper. While this unit is best for indoor use, it also works wonders outdoors as well. The Hoont comes at an affordable price point, providing you with protection from mosquito bites, without breaking the bank.
Bug Zapper Reviews
While our top choices are what we recommend to our readers, there are still plenty of excellent options to suit a wide variety of environments and all conditions. Let’s take a look at the other bug zappers that cracked the nod in our review.
Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect Killer – Best Overall Bug ZapperThe Flowtron BK-40D electronic insect killer wins the award for the best overall bug zapper in this review. This model includes a unique scenting feature that attracts more mosquitoes to their doom. The chemical, octenol, is desirable to mosquitoes, mimicking the production of CO2.
Mosquitoes find CO2 attractive, and it’s how they locate your position. With the Flowtron, the mosquitoes confuse you for the light, flying into their death.
The attractive design of the zappers housing makes it a great choice for the patio, and it doesn’t have a cold, mechanical look to it like most other models of bug zappers.
With a small footprint of 10.25 x 10.25 x 16.5-inches, you’ll barely notice this zapper on your patio. The 40-watt light provides ½-an acre of coverage, keeping the insects away from you.
You also get a free scent cartridge with your purchase of the device. The cartridges last 30-days, and refills are available. However, replacement cartridges are expensive, but they are beneficial.
- Attractive design
- Match the product to the size of your living space
- Child and pet-proof to avoid injury
- The grid stays clean, reducing maintenance
- User-friendly operation
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Optional scent cartridges are expensive
Nozkito Bug Zapper Lantern UV Lamp – Best Premium ModelThe Nozkito bug zapper takes the prize for the best premium model bug zapper in this review. This outdoor bug zapper features a 2,000-watt lamp that attracts insects and mosquitoes, ushering them to their doom.
You get a ½-acre coverage with this device, and the unit emits no harmful chemicals or intrusive odors around the coverage area. This device is also weatherproof, and its attractive design makes it a great addition to any outdoor venue.
- 2000-volt electric bug zapper
- Durable and weather-resistant
- 20-watt UV zapper bulb
- ½-acre yard coverage
- 12-month manufacturer’s warranty
- Somewhat expensive
Hoont Powerful Electric Indoor Fly Zapper – Best Budget Buy
If you’re on a budget and trying to find the best bug zapper for your money, then you can’t beat the value on offer with the Hoont model. This device is suitable for use inside and outside the home, and it’s effective at attracting mosquitoes and other insects.
This affordable model also attracts flies in the kitchen, a feature that every chef will love. The unit allows you to position it on a flat surface like the floor or a tabletop, or you can hang the device as well. This unit is not pet or child-friendly, so make sure you keep it well out of the reach of tiny hands and paws.
We like the non-clogging feature of the grill, minimizing the cleaning and maintenance of the device. Overall, this model is practical and affordable, and the ideal bug zapper of choice for any homeowner on a budget.
- Affordable and inexpensive to operate
- 10-watt UV zapper bulb
- Quiet operation, no buzzing sound
- Slimline design allows for easy hanging in any space
- Only covers 6,000 square feet
- Unattractive design
Black & Decker UV LED Light Bulb Electric Bug Zapper
For those homeowners looking for an affordable and effective insect control solution, look no further than the Black & Decker UV LED light bulb. This model is only a bulb, and the homeowner must fit it to an existing light bulb socket for easy operation.
This unit emits no toxins or harmful chemicals, and it’s a pet-friendly and child-safe insect zapping solution. The removable cap on the bottom of the bulb catches the insects after zapping, keeping your floor clean.
This model also features quiet operation, with no humming or buzzing noises in the background. The dual design of the bulb allows the homeowner to use it as a regular LED light bulb, or activate the potent pest killer.
However, some buyers report the bulb produces a light that’s too bright for indoor use. However, considering that LED lights are typically brighter than incandescent bulbs, it’s not surprising to see people complaining about this feature.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Quiet operation
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Child and pet-friendly
- Cordless operation
- Screws into your lightbulb socket
- Light may be too bright for indoor use at night
- Require fitment to an existing light bulb socket
- Does not attract all types of insects
Elucto Large Electric Bug Zapper Fly Swatter
If you’re looking for an affordable and effective bug zapping solution, then givethe Elucto zapper swatter a try. This system is different from the other passive models in this review.
The Elucto features an electric grid that zaps the bugs in your home. You’ll need to hit the on/off switch to activate the killing panel as you swat the bugs. This active system requires user control, but it’s a handy device to have lying around the home.
Plus, you get the added advantage of turning your bug zapping into a game. Your kids will love ruing around the home, swatting all the bugs they can find.
This unit only produces a very mild electrical charge, and if your kids get a zap, it feels like a slight pinch, and its nothing that is going to send them to the emergency room.
The device works on AA batteries, and you might find that you run through the cells quickly. We recommend you purchase a set of rechargeable batteries to reduce your costs of running the device.
- A useful and entertaining way to zap bugs inside and outside the home
- Features a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Grid is suitable for zapping mosquitos and gnats
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Good customer service
- On/Off switch optimizes battery life
- Battery operated
Bug Zapper Buyers Guide
If you’re still on the fence with choosing the best bug zapper for your needs, then this buyer’s guide will help you make the right purchase decision. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about selecting the best bug zappers for your needs.
Tips for Selecting the Best Bug Zappers
Choosing the best bug zapper to meet your needs depends on a few factors. Selecting the right zapper for your home requires you to understand your need for the device. In this section, we’ll go over the critical factors you need to consider before you settle on the model that’s the right choice for you and your home.
Design and Construction
The design and construction of your zapper play a significant role in the service life and efficacy of the device. We recommend that you choose a model from a leading brand to ensure your satisfaction with the device.
There are some reports of the handheld “tennis racket” style zappers going faulty after a few weeks of use. However, the Elucto model in this review has proven efficiency at zapping bugs for the entire spring and summer seasons.
The design and construction of your zapper should be top-quality, or you risk the device malfunctioning when you need it most. Ensure that you’re purchasing your zapper from a reputable brand.
If you have kids or pets, make sure you choose a zapper that’s kid and pet-friendly to prevent accidents from happening around the home. It’s important to note that some of these devices have ratings of up to 2,000-volts, which can cause significant injury to people and pets if not used correctly.
Also, check that your zapper attracts all types of bugs, not only mosquitoes. While mosquitoes are probably your top concern, choosing a model that gets rid of other flying insects while improving your user experience.
When selecting the best bug zappers for your application, we recommend that you check the coverage area of the device.
The coverage area depends on the wattage of the light used in the system. The Flowtron is the top model for coverage in this review. This device can protect up to ½ an acre of living space from pesky pests that are after your blood.
The tennis racket style zappers require manual operation, so you’ll also need to decide on a passive or active zapper system. An active system requires you to do the zapping, while a passive system does it for you, reducing the effort involved with zapping the bugs around your home.
The power source on your zapper varies depending on the model you select. Some zappers, like the Black & Decker UV bulb, require mounting to your existing light fitting. Other models need an external power supply, while the handheld zapper works on batteries.
If you’re installing a bug zapper with a power supply, then ensure that you check all the wiring and fuses in the circuit before operating the device for the first time.
The price of your bug zapper is also a consideration when choosing the ideal model for your home. After selecting the right bug zapper for your needs, it’s time to work on your budget. If you’re looking for the best premium model, then the Nozkito is your best option.
However, we feel that the Flowtron offers you everything you need in a bug zapper, at an affordable price point.
When selecting your bug zapper, it’s essential to weigh the features of the device against its cost. Factor in the design, ease-of-use, safety, power source, and price when finalizing your purchase decision.
Brand or Manufacturer
Tops brands in bug zapping include the likes of Flowtron, Nozkito, Hoont, and Black & Decker. All of these brands have a solid reputation in the DIY industry for producing top-quality residential devices.
Some brands like Flowtron, sell their devices at premium prices, but it’s worth the extra money when you consider the quality of the zapper.
Bug Zapper FAQ
Do you have a few more questions about selecting the right bug zapper? Here are a few frequently asked questions by our readers that you might find useful in settling on your purchase decision.
Do Mosquito Zappers Work?
Yes, mosquito zappers are an effective means of controlling and destroying mosquitos and other bugs in and around your home. When selecting your model, be sure to match it to your application. For instance, if you only need a zapper to kill the occasional mosquito, then a handheld zapper is all you need.
However, if you need a zapper for an outdoor area like your patio, you’ll need to get a passive light system that attracts the bugs to their doom.
Where Should I Put My Bug Zapper?
Installing your bug zapper depends on the model you buy. Some units are suitable for fixed mounting on your wall, while others are portable. If you require a zapper in multiple areas of your home, then we recommend choosing a mobile version, such as the handheld zapper.
Is There Any Way to Increase the Effectiveness of My Bug Zapper?
Yes, the Flowtron bug zapper comes with an additional scent cartridge that produces an odor than mosquitoes’ mistake for CO2. This gas attracts mosquitoes to you, and the scent cartridge mimics this smell.
However, the scent cartridges only last a month, and they’re relatively expensive to replace. In most cases, you’ll find that the standard machine does enough to keep the mosquitoes away from you.
What Are the Features of a Good Bug Zapper?
There are several features you should look out for when selecting the best bug zappers for your home. Check the coverage of the device to ensure that it meets your needs. Check whether the device is suitable for indoor and outdoor use, a multi-use zapper is the best choice for use inside and outside of your home.
Buyers should ensure that the product they select comes with a manufacturer’s warranty. The warranty protects you against any faults that occur with the zapper.
Any of the models in this review will keep the bugs away from you this spring and summer. If you’re still having trouble with selecting your zapper, then why not rely on our top recommendations?
We think that the Flowtron is the ideal choice for any outdoor patio. This device will blast away the bugs all evening, and the additional scent cartridge ensures that no mosquitoes escape its clutches.
If you want to turn your bug zapping into a game, then try the handheld Elucto model. This zapper makes killing bugs as easy as playing tennis, a quick swipe, and the bugs are out of your life.
Remember to choose a bug zapper that meets your residential requirements. With the right bug zapper at your side, you’ll never have to worry about scratching mosquito bites again.