Candles, catchers, sprays, and candles; there are various forms of mosquito repellents for yards. With so many options, trying to decide which one to choose can seem like a daunting task. To simplify the process, we’ve taken the liberty of doing the legwork for you.
In this guide, we’ve compiled a list of our top picks. Below, you’ll find a list of reviews that highlight the key features of each of these products.
We’ve also included a buyer’s guide that details the key factors you should consider when you’re shopping for a mosquito repellent for your yard and wrap things up by answering some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about these products.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Mosquito Repellent Reviews
- 3 Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Torch
- 4 Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
- 5 Thermacell Radius Zone Mosquito Repeller
- 6 Thermacell Scout Mosquito Repellent Camp Lanter
- 7 Other Best Selling Options
- 8 Mosquito Repellents for Yards: A Buyer’s Guide
- 9 FAQs
If you’re in a rush and don’t have the time to read through detailed reviews but still want to be sure that you find a high-quality, reliable mosquito repellent for your yard, this section is for you. Below, you’ll find brief reviews of our top three picks for the best yard mosquito repellents in the following categories:
These reviews are short, concise, and highlight the most notable features of each of these options.
- The Best Overall Mosquito Repellent for Yards: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Torch
The Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Torch does two jobs in one: it creates a power shield of protection against mosquitoes for your property while also emitting ambient light. The torch contains DEET-free, highly powerful, and extremely effective mosquito repellents that creates a 15 foot area of protection for up to 12 hours. It resembles a tiki torch, yet it doesn’t emit any flame or smoke, and there’s no sticky, smell sprays to content with.
- The Best Premium Mosquito Repellent for Yards: Flowtron BK-80D 80-Watt Electronic Insect Killer
If you have a large property and you want to ensure full mosquito repellent coverage, the Flowtron BK-80D 80-Watt Electronic Insect Killer is an excellent choice. The lantern design gives it a rustic-like look, yet it’s a highly powerful way to keep pests at pay. It uses non-toxic ultraviolet light that’s harmful to insects, yet safe for people and pets.
- The Best Budget Mosquito Repellent for Yards: Citronella Scented Candle
If you’re looking for a simple, yet effective and affordable mosquito repellent that will also offer a touch of ambiance for your yard, we recommend the Citronella Scented Candle.
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Now that you’ve read through the brief reviews of our top three picks for the best yard mosquito repellents, let’s dive in and take a closer look.
This part of our guide features more in-depth reviews of repellents in the above-mentioned categories, including the best overall, best premium, and best budget option, as well as a handful of additional highly effective options.
These reviews discuss the details of each repellent at greater length. After each review, we also include a list of pros and cons so that you can easily see the most notable benefits and disadvantages of each one to determine which one will best suit your specific needs.
Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Torch
If you’re looking for a mosquito repellent that not only provides safe and effective protection against those biting pests, but also creates ambiance. The Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield Torch is a fantastic choice, and our top pick for the best option overall.
There’s no sprays, no smoke, and absolutely no DEET, which means that you and your loved ones (furry ones, too) can enjoy spending time outside without having to worry about being battened or affected by chemicals or smoke.
- TURN IT ON… MOSQUITOES GONE: Patio Shield Torch Mosquito Repeller creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitos. Brighten your backyard, garden, campsite, deck, and more with the 2-in-1 LED light + torch-style repeller with adjustable pole
- HEAT-ACTIVATED: No cords or hassle, repellent is powered by a safe compact 12-hr fuel cartridge (included). Repel without smoke, flames, or citronella. Not a messy trap or gimmicky sonic. Independently tested. EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness
- LONG-LASTING DEFENSE: Unscented repellent mats (3 included) last up to 4 hours each and change color when time to refill. No mess, no DEET, no spray, and no on-skin chemicals make Thermacell better. Light requires 3 AA batteries (not included)
- NATURE-INSPIRED REPELLENT: Our active ingredient is based on naturally occurring repellents found in plants. We've harnessed its power to fight the toughest mosquitoes on earth (including in your backyard)!
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend your warranty to two years with registration (automatic 1-year warranty included). Developed and Tested at our New England based R&D center. We stand by our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
There aren’t any cords, either, so there’s need to worry about plugging it in or tripping hazards. The rustic torch-style design creates a charming look, the fuel cartridge and repellent mats inside the torch effectively keeps mosquitoes at bay.
Thanks to the hassle-free assembly, you can have it set up and ready to use in no time. The torch stands on a 59 inch pole that’s constructed of durable materials that can be used virtually anywhere; your backyard, on your patio, around your pool, or even on a dock or at a campsite. Just push the end of the pol into the ground and it will start doing its job.
Thanks to the four flickering LED lights, it creates a warm, ambient glow that will be sure to add a welcoming look to your yard. The light can be used with the repellent or independently. Creating a 15 foot zone of protection for up to 12 hours, safe, effective, easy to use, attractive, and affordably priced; the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Shield Torch is an excellent way to keep any outdoor space mosquito-free.
What We Liked
- Serves as a mosquito-repellent and torch in one
- Safe, effective, DEET-, smoke-free mosquito repellent
- Creates a 15 foot area of protection that lasts for up to 12 hours
- Durably constructed, yet lightweight and easy to use
- Features four LED flickering lights that emit an ambient glow
- Can be in any outdoor location
- Can be used as a mosquito-repellent and torch together, or just as a light
- Safe for people and animals
- Affordably priced
Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
If you have a large property that you need to shield from mosquitoes from, the Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer is an excellent choice. Offering up to 1 acre of protection, this electronic insect killer provides long-lasting protection.
It uses nontoxic ultraviolet light to zap mosquitoes, as well as other nuisance insects, such as biting flies. Because it uses UV light, there’s no need to worry about toxic chemicals, flames, or smoke, which not only makes it safe for you, but it also makes it safer for the environment.
The patented non-clogging killing grid prevents the grid clogging that other types of bug zappers are prone to that can result in short circuiting as well as insect remain flair-ups. Constructed of high-impact polycarbonate and featuring a protective exterior enclosure that prevents kids and animals from making contact with the charging grid, you can have peace of mind knowing that your little ones, pets, and wildlife will be safe.
The lantern-style design offers a rustic charm that will add to the aesthetic appeal of your yard. The turquoise blue light that it emits does a highly efficient job of stopping pests in their path, while also emitting a soft, warm glow.
What We Liked
- Offers up to 1 acre of mosquito protection
- Uses ultraviolet light to zap mosquitoes and other pests dead in their tracks
- No harmful chemicals, fumes, smoke, or open flames
- Patented non-clogging killing grid prevents clogging that can result in short circuiting and flare-ups
- Constructed of high-impact polycarbonate for long-lasting durability
- Protective outer enclosure prevents contact with the charge grid
- Attractive lantern style
- Offers long-lasting protection
- Reliable operation
- Easy to use
Citronella Scented Candle
This Citronella Scented Candle from , one of the most trusted manufacturers in the insect repellent industry, is simple, effective, and affordable.
It comes with three square-shaped candles that last for up to 25+ hours, for a total burn time of 75+ hours. The candles contain the perfect amount of citronella, which has long been used as a natural mosquito deterrent.
- One 3 count package of Coleman Scented Tin Citronella Candle
- Outdoor candles with crackle wood wicks make a crackling fire sound
- Three scents include pine, s'mores and campfire to add a pleasant smell
- Packaged in nostalgic embossed tins for easy, safe use
- Add to your camping supplies along with your camping lantern and other accessories
The metal base is durable, lightweight, and offers a simplistic, yet rustic look. Using this yard mosquito repellent is super easy; simply select a secure, level location – the center of a table, for example – light the wick, and as the flame reaches the candle, it will automatically emit the mosquito-repelling citronella.
Citronella Scented Candle delivers a soft, ambient glow that will be sure to make your yard more welcoming. It’s affordably priced, too, so you’ll be able to enjoy a mosquito-free yard without having to spend a fortune.
What We Liked
- Simple candle design
- Emits citronella, a natural mosquito deterrent
- Comes with three candles that burn up to 25+ hours each
- Easy to use and can be used anywhere
- Emits a warm glow
- Very affordably priced
Thermacell Radius Zone Mosquito Repeller
Next on our list of the best mosquito repellents for yards is the Thermacell Radios Zone Mosquito Repeller. This compact, easy-to-use device emits powerful and effective mosquito repellent with the simple push of a button.
The compact, lightweight design is durable and easy to transport, and because it doesn’t require electrical cords or flames, it can be used anywhere. It’s also TSA-approved, making it the ideal mosquito repellent for traveling. It’s powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that offers up to 6.5 hours of protection on a single charge.
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Radius Mosquito Repellent creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Easy to use, one button keeps mosquitoes away. Use this compact repeller at campsites or in your backyard.
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to 6.5 hours of continuous mosquito protection per charge. No fuel to monitor and replace. Emits scent free repellent that drives away mosquitoes.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes. Unscented, liquid repellent cartridges are easy to replace.
- ADVANCED REPELLENT: Independently tested and EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness. Repels tough mosquitoes, including those that may transmit Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, and Zika Virus. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 3 years with registration (automatic 2-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee. See packaging for details. Includes repeller, 12-hour refill repellent cartridge, and USB charging cable.
It uses DEET-free, safe, and highly effective liquid compounds that offer powerful protection against mosquitoes. There’s no smoke, flames, or citronella, either. Reviews by the EPA for safety and effectiveness, you can have peace of mind knowing that this yard repellent won’t harm you, your loved ones, or your pets. It’s also backed by a two year warranty, which can be extended to three years if you complete the free registration.
What We Liked
- Unique design that doesn’t rely on flames or electricity
- Push-button operation; with the simple push of a button, it will repel mosquitoes within a 15 foot zone
- Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Delivers 6.45 hours of protection on a single charge
- Provides up to 40 hours of continuous mosquito protection per refill
- Can be charged while operating to extend run time
- No DEET; no toxic, safe, and effective
- Odor free
- Easy to set up and easy to use
- Backed by a 2 year warranty which can be extended to 3 years if you complete the free, easy registration
- Backed by a 100 percent satisfaction
Thermacell Scout Mosquito Repellent Camp Lanter
Last on our list of the best mosquito repellents for yards is another option from Thermoacell. While it’s marketed for camping, it can be used anywhere. It creates a 15-foot zone of protection that doesn’t require harmful DEET, smoke, or flames, or sticky, oily, chemically-laden lotions or sprays.
The operation is super easy and clean, as it features a heat-activated mat that releases a repellent into the air and the repellent is based on the repellent that’s naturally found in chrysanthemums. In addition to emitting a powerful mosquito repellent, this lantern also emits a 220 Lumen light, so you can use it to keep your campsite or yard pest-free while also illuminating the space.
- Scout Mosquito Repellent Camp Lantern creates a 15-ft mosquito protection zone. 220 lumen LED lantern & repeller operate independently or together. Features rubber over mold, water & impact resistance, and hanging hook.
- No cords or hassle, repellent is powered by a safe compact 12-hr fuel cartridge (included). Repel without smoke, flames, or citronella. Not a messy trap or gimmicky sonic. Independently tested. EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness.
- Unscented repellent mats (3 included) last up to 4 hours each and change color when time to refill. No mess, no DEET, no spray, and no on-skin chemicals make Thermacell better. Light requires 4 AA batteries (not included).
- Our active ingredient is based on naturally occurring repellents found in plants. We've harnessed its power to fight the toughest mosquitoes on earth (including in your backyard)
- Extend your warranty to two years with registration (automatic 1-year warranty included). Developed and Tested at our New England based R&D center. We stand by our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
The mosquito repellent and the lantern function can be used in unison or independently from one another. Constructed of durable ABS and rubber, this mosquito repellent lantern is both water and impact resistant. It includes a built-in hook, too.
The lantern delivers up to 12 hours of powerful mosquito repellant protection and because it’s lightweight, it is highly portable and can be used pretty much anywhere. It’s evaluated by the EPA for safety and effect, too.
What We Liked
- Functions as both a mosquito repellent and a lantern
- 15 foot protection zone
- Features a heat-activated mat that emits highly effective insect repellent into the air without using a flam
- Emits 220 lumens of light
- Can function as both a mosquito repellent and a lantern together or independently
- Constructed of durable ABS and rubber
- Water and impact resistant
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Features a built-in hanging hook
- Offers 12 hours of protection
- Easy push-button operation
- Evaluated by the EPA for safety
Other Best Selling Options
- MADE WITH OIL OF LEMON EUCALYPTUS: This DEET-free insect repellent provides you with protection during adventures in the backyard and on the go.
- REPELS MOSQUITOES FOR UP TO 6 HOURS: This repellent keeps you and your family protected for hours, so the fun doesn't have to end.
- REFRESHING SCENT: This DEET-free personal repellent leaves you with a cool, refreshing scent so you don't have to put up with the usual bug spray smell.
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses.
- NOT GREASY OR STICKY: Formulated with oil of lemon eucalyptus to provide protection without leaving your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
- DEET-Free, Made With Essential Oils – Our repellent bracelets are made with essential oils: Geraniol Oil, Lemongrass Oil and Citronella Oil. Essential oils have been found to repel mosquitoes.
- 10 Resealable Bags – Each mosquito repellent bracelet is individually wrapped in a resealable bag, keeping it fresh and increase the life span.
- One Size Fits All – Cliganic repellent bracelets are fully adjustable, stretchy and easily fits.
- Perfect For Outdoor, Waterproof – Best for indoor, outdoor and travel. Keep it together with your picnic backpack accessories. Enjoy the outdoors without worrying about pesky mosquito bites.
- For Adults & Kids - When used as directed
- DEET mosquito repellent formulated with 25% DEET
- Repels mosquitoes that may carry the Zika, Dengue, or West Nile viruses
- Long-lasting protection from mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats and chiggers
- Tick repellent that protects against ticks that may carry Lyme disease
- Powder-dry insect repelling formula - not oily or greasy
Mosquito Repellents for Yards: A Buyer’s Guide
Gathering with friends and family for a backyard barbecue, playing with the kids, roasting marshmallows around a fire pit, or just kicking back, relaxing, and soaking up the sun by yourself with a good book; there’s nothing better than getting outside in your own yard.
However, no matter how beautiful the forecast may be and well-manicured your yard is, there’s something that may be deterring you from using your property to the fullest: mosquitoes.
If it seems like every time you go out in your yard, you hear that notorious hum of flying wings and are constantly swatting bugs away, there’s no doubt you aren’t enjoying your backyard as much as you should be.
In an instant, mosquitoes can turn what should have been a relaxing time outside into a miserable experience. Not only can the leave huge, itchy welts behind that can leave you scratching for days, but those pests can be harbingers of disease (Zika, West Nile, dengue, and malaria, just to name a few).
Fortunately, however, you don’t have to let those flying bloodsuckers keep you locked up inside! There’s an easy way that you can keep them at bay so that you can enjoy more time outdoors without having to worry about scratching or potentially getting sick. How? – With mosquito repellents for yards.
Mosquitoes are naturally attuned to detect your presence, and they can do so from pretty significant distances. Each time you exhale, you emit carbon dioxide, which gets picked up in the air and carried by the wind. Additionally carbon dioxide seeps out of your skin and into the air.
The insects are attracted to the CO2 that you’re emitting, as well as the humidity and the warmth that your body gives off, and even chemicals that your sweat contains. The pests then seek out the source (you) of all of those elements that they’re attracted to until they find you, sink their stinger into your skin, and enjoy what they find to be a tasty meal.
Mosquito repellents are designed to mask the signals you give off that, and instead of being attracted to you, they’re repelled, as they can no longer detect you. Some mosquito repellents are designed to be applied to the body, sprays and lotions, for example. While these forms of repellents can be effective, there are some downsides.
They can be sticky and oily, for example, creating an unpleasant sensation. If you have sensitive skin or allergies, topical repellents could potentially cause adverse reactions, such as an itchy rash (something that you’re trying to prevent by applying the repellent in the first place), or could even make their way into your bloodstream via transdermal absorption.
Needless to say, topical mosquito repellents can be linked to some pretty significant downsides. If you want to nix the sticky, oily feeling or the risk of reactions, that doesn’t mean you have to be victimized by mosquitoes or going outside all together.
That’s where mosquito repellents for yards come in. As the name suggests, mosquito repellents for yards are designed to emit compounds into the air, thus creating a “force field” of sorts, around the treated area; kind of like an invisible shield over your yard that mosquitoes can’t penetrate. With a mosquito repellent for yards, you’ll be able to enjoy your backyard without having to worry about those pesky flying insects.
Now that you’ve read through our list of the top yard mosquito repellents, you’re probably wondering which one you should choose. As you can see, there are several different high-quality options, but how do you decide which one will best work for your specific needs.
In this section of our guide, we share some key factors that you should take into consideration when you’re shopping, as doing so will help you determine which option will keep your yard mosquito-free.
Types of Yard Mosquito Repellent
There are several different types of mosquito repellents for yards, so the first thing you’ll want to do is figure out which type will work best for your yard. The following are some of the different options:
- Battery-operated. As the name suggests, battery-operated mosquito repellents are powered by batteries. The batteries can either be rechargeable or replaceable. Typically, they have a bush-button operation; just push the button and a devise inside the housing will heat up a repellent, which is usually applied to a pad that sits inside the element. Since there aren’t any flames or electricity to content with, they’re safe to operate and can be used pretty much anywhere. This style can also emit light, or they can simply function as an insect repellent.
- There are also electric-powered mosquito deterrents. Typically, these models don’t deter insects, but rather “zap” them; in other words, they kill the pests. They usually emit a UV light that emits a soft glow and attracts the insects, and once they’re drawn in and make contact with a so-called “kill grid”, the insects perish. While they do need to be powered by an electric outlet, this type of insect repellent (or killer) provides reliable, long-lasting protection, as there’s no battery to change or candles to relight. Additionally, they tend to deliver a larger, more powerful radius of protection.
- Another common form of mosquito repellent for yards is a flame style. It can either be a candle or a torch-style (like a tiki torch), and the heat generated by the flame releases the insect deterring compounds within the device. This style emits light that can add ambiance to your yard; however, you do have be mindful of the open flame.
- You could also apply a mosquito deterrent to your yard using a spray application. Typically, the spray is applied around the perimeter of your yard, which essentially creates a “force field” of protection over the area that lies within the perimeter.
In addition to determining which type of mosquito repellent for your yard will best work for you, you’ll also want to consider the ingredients that the device uses. There are several different types of ingredients that can be used to deter mosquitoes, which can range from all-natural products to synthetic chemicals. Citronella is the most popular natural ingredient.
It’s produced by the citronella plant, which has natural insect repellent properties that have been used for a long time. Since citronella is natural, it’s safe; however, it may not be effective for everyone. In regard to chemical repellents, DEET was once considered the most effective; however, while it does repel insects, it does need to be noted that DEET is highly toxic and it can pose certain health risks.
Picaridin is another synthetic repellent. It’s based on a naturally occurring compound that is found in the black pepper plant. While it’s safer than DEET, some people may experience adverse effects. Additionally, concentration impacts the effectiveness; the more picaridin the product features, the more effective it will be; however, higher levels may pose more complications.
The above are just a few of the different types of ingredients that can be used in mosquito insect repellents for yards. When you’re shopping, make sure that you read through the list of ingredients and do your research so that you can determine what will work best and will be the safest for you.
Radius of Protection
Another important factors that you’re going to want to take into consideration when you’re shopping for a mosquito repellent for your yard is the radius of protection that it offers. You want to be sure that the option you select will be able to deliver a layer of protection for the area that you want to treat, so it’s a good idea to measure the specific area; for example, if you only want to repel mosquitoes from your patio, consider measuring the size of your patio and then purchase a repellent that can deliver a radius of protection that’s equivalent in size.
Of course, you’re also going to want to consider the reliability of the product. If it isn’t effective, it isn’t going to do you any good. Read through product reviews so that you can get a good idea about the reliability and efficacy of the product you are considering.
When should you use mosquito deterrents in your yard?
It depends on which product you are using. For instance, if you’re using a spray, you’ll usually need to treat your property at least a day in advance and once the spray settle, it will protect your property for a specific period of time. However, if you’re using a lantern, you may want to light it just ahead of using your yard.
How can you improve the efficacy of mosquito repellents?
In order to ensure that your mosquito repellent is as effective as possible, it’s a good idea to check the area and eliminate anything that would harbor the pests. For example, make sure that there aren’t any pools of water lying around your property, as mosquitoes are attracted to and breed in water.