After a hard day at the office, you arrive home. As you climb out of your car to open the garage door, you fumble for the key to unlock it and put your car away. Your slide the key into the lock, give it a turn, and it decides to snap off in the lock – great.
If you had an electric garage door opener, this wouldn’t be a problem. There are plenty of advantages to owning one, with convenience being at the top of the list.
An electric garage door opener provides you more security when arriving home in your vehicle. You don’t have to get out of the car to open the door, allowing you to stay alert of possible threats while putting the car away.
Electronic garage door openers come in various models to suit single or double-door garages. They have different opening mechanisms, with a range of price points to suit any budget. Use a garage door opener to improve the security around your home or business premises.
In this post, we’ll review the best garage door opener models to find the right system for your property.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Garage Door Opener Reviews
- 2.1 LiftMaster 8165W Contractor Series
- 2.2 LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
- 2.3 Skylink Atoms ATR-1611C
- 2.4 Ghost Controls TSS1
- 2.5 Genie StealthDrive Connect Model 7155-TKV
- 2.6 BeamUp Sentry BU400
- 2.7 LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series
- 2.8 Chamberlain Pd510
- 2.9 Genie 2055-LED Stealth 500
- 2.10 Genie Chain Drive 500
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Garage Door Opener Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Garage Door Openers Features
- 6 What are the Types of Garage Door Openers?
- 7 Garage Door Opener FAQs
- 8 Garage Door Openers – The Verdict
If you’re looking for the best garage door openers, you’ll have to browse through hundreds of listings. We decided to do the legwork for you in this review. Our top picks represent the best models we could find online.
We have choices to suit any home, business, or budget. Pick out one of these top models, and secure your home or business with the best garage door opener.
Best Pick: LiftMaster 8165W Contractor Series
- LiftMaster 8165W MyQ 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Opener Chain Rail NOT Included
This LiftMaster model is our top choice for the best overall garage door opener in this review. You get a chain-drive system for affordability and reliability, with a 0.5-HP motor for fast opening and closing the garage door. This model comes with Smart functionality, featuring built-in Wi-Fi compatibility and full control of the door through the myQ app. This model is eco-friendly, using 75% less power in standby mode. The door opening frequency runs on a secure code that no-one can copy, and there are safety sensors included, preventing closing accidents.
Premium Pick: LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
- This sleek, space-saving design mounts on the wall beside your garage door, freeing up ceiling space
- This elite series model comes fully equipped with security 2.0, myq
- Get reliable, durable and powerful performance with our p3 motors
- Runs ultra-quiet by eliminating sound and vibrations through the ceiling
- Not compatible with roll up doors, low headroom track, wayne dalton torquemaster Must have a front mount torsion bar system
This LiftMaster model wins our top award for the best premium model in this review. This LiftMaster garage door opener comes with a Jackshaft design for ultra-fast and quiet opening and closing the garage door. You get a secure frequency and full integration with the Smart myQ app on your phone. This garage door opener features P3 motors for powerful performance while eliminating vibration. It’s the ideal choice for garages under living quarters. The smooth movement prevents the noisy operation of the door at night. This model comes with a motion sensor light and a power-lock deadbolt to prevent people from forcing the door open.
- Powerful DC motor provides extremely quiet operations compared to traditional garage door Openers with AC motors
- Durable chain drive delivers reliable performance
- 12W LED built-in to the garage door opener for long-lasting illumination
- Soft start and stop gradually accelerates to full speed and slows down before stopping to reduce vibration and maximize life of mechanical parts
- Compatible with Backup Battery Model BA-100 (sold separately)
Homeowners working with a budget will get the best value for this garage door opener. The Skylink Atoms features a chain drive system with smooth operation. You get a 12-watt LED built-into the opener, with a soft start, and stop to preserve the working parts of the machine. This model includes a battery backup and infrared safety sensors. You get a powerful motor that’s compatible with single or double doors and quiet operation. The Skylink comes with a push-button pad and controller included with your purchase.
Garage Door Opener Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top models in this review let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll look at each model’s pros and cons and make recommendations on a few other systems we think make great garage door openers.
If you need help choosing the right garage door opener to suit your needs, check out our buyer’s guide section after the reviews. We’ll give you everything you need to know about choosing the right model for your home or business.
LiftMaster 8165W Contractor Series
The LiftMaster 8165W Contractor Series½ HP AC Chain Drive Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener is our top choice for the best overall garage door opener in this review. LiftMaster is a premium brand, and this model comes with all the bells and whistles you expect to see in a LiftMaster model.
You get full Wi-Fi compatibility, with a connection to the myQ app on your phone. This model includes auto-opening for receiving Amazon Prime parcels, and you get a chain-drive operation that’s fast, reliable, and quiet.
This model features a powerful 0,5-HP motor, allowing for fast, smooth opening of the garage door. You get rolling security codes for your remote, preventing criminals from cloning your remote frequency.
This model includes a simple setup and real-time alerts sent directly to your device whenever someone activates the garage door. Unfortunately, this model doesn’t come with an LED light.
- Premium brand
- Powerful 0.5-HP motor
- 75% less power consumption in standby mood
- Chain drive for long service life
- Secure opening code and safety sensors
LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
LiftMaster makes a second appearance in our top three picks with this model. The LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series offers you the ultimate in garage door opener technology. You get a jackshaft design, allowing for fast opening and closing of the garage door.
The jackshaft system also reduces vibration and noise when opening, providing a smooth lift that won’t disturb people living above the garage. This model comes with the flagship P3 motor for the fastest opening times and compatibility with single or double garage doors.
The unit has a compact, sleek design with a wall-mounted design that keeps it off the floor. This LiftMaster model connects to the myQ app, giving you full smart functionality from your phone.
- Premium brand
- Sleek, compact design
- Jackshaft drive for fast, quiet opening and closing
- Powerful P3 motors for fast opening and closing
- Eliminates vibrations during operation
- Wall-mount design
Homeowners looking for the best budget garage door opener can settle on this Skylink model. With the Skylink Atoms, you get a powerful DC motor operating the chain drive on the opener. This unit includes a 12-watt LED to light up your garage when the door activates.
The motor comes with soft stop technology, reducing speed as the door opens or closes. The result is a longer working life for your opener and reduced wear-and-tear on the mechanical parts. This model comes with quiet operation and reduced vibration for near-silent use.
The Skylink Atoms includes a backup battery pack, sold separately. You get a rolling code remote to prevent cloning by criminals and infrared safety sensors included with your purchase.
- Suitable for single or double garage doors
- Built-in LED light
- Quiet DC motor
- Rolling code remote
- Safety sensors included
Ghost Controls TSS1
This Ghost automatic gate opener is the best choice for swinging gates. Featuring a gear assemble for fast opening and closing, this model is suitable for use on gates up to 20-feet in length. This model comes with a lifetime warranty on the motor and gears, ensuring you get a quality product.
This gate opener works with a 12-volt battery pack, sold separately, and you have the option of buying the solar panel for eco-friendly operation. You get all the hardware needed for installation included with your purchase and an easy DIY setup.
- Easy DIY mounting
- Suitable for swing gates up to 20-feet in length
- Optional solar panel
- All hardware included in the purchase
- Lifetime warranty
Genie StealthDrive Connect Model 7155-TKV
This model features a powerful 1.25-HP motor for use on single or double-door garages. You get a wireless keyboard and remotes included with your purchase, with rolling remote codes for extra security.
This model includes access to the Aladdin app, giving you total control and monitoring over your garage door. This model integrates with Google Home and Alexa for a smart home experience, and you get voice command control when linking with the Aladdin app.
The Genie StealthDrive models come with belt-driven functionality for near-silent operation and reduced vibration when opening and closing the garage door. Your package includes two remote controls included in your purchase and sensors for detecting contact with your car.
- 1.25-HP motor for powerful operation
- Wireless keypad
- Belt-drive action
- Integrated battery backup
- Smart compatibility with Alexa
- Two preprogrammed remotes included
- Safety-Bean system included
BeamUp Sentry BU400
The BeamUp Sentry is another example of a top-quality garage door opener available at a competitive price. This model includes a smart connection with an app on your phone, giving you total control over the garage door.
This chain-drive model features fast opening and closing, with soft-stop action. You get BeamUp’s ultra-lift power for single or double garage doors. The 0.75-HP motor makes quick work of opening and closing the garage door with reduced vibration. You get a bright 3,000-lumen LED light included to light up the garage when you arrive home.
This model includes a quick-and-easy setup, with all the hardware you need for the installation included with your purchase.
- Powerful 0.75-HP motor
- Chain-drive action
- Suitable for single or double garage doors
- Smartphone compatibility
- Sustainable LED lighting
- Easy setup
LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series
The LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series is another top-tier garage door opener. This model features a powerful 0.5-HP motor with the capability of handling single or double-door garages. The set comes with remotes, featuring rolling security codes to prevent cloning.
The PosiLock system on the motor prevents anyone from forcing open your garage door, and there’s no chance of unauthorized entry with smart functionality from the myQ app. The protector system in the motor detects any stoppage, creating an auto-reverse to prevent damage to your vehicle.
This model comes with a chain-drive motor for the fast, reliable opening of your garage door. The LiftMaster 3255 Contractor Series features smooth, quiet operation that won’t disturb your neighbors or people living above the garage.
- 0.5-HP motor for fast opening and closing
- Links to your phone with myQ technology
- Rolling security codes for remotes
- PosiLock system prevents forced opening
- Sensors and auto-reverse included
- Chain-drive operation
The Chamberlain Pd510 comes with a 0.5-HP motor. Chamberlain is the sister company of LiftMaster, and you can expect the same quality design in the motor components. This model also comes with rolling security codes for the two remotes included with your purchase.
The motor comes with PosiLock for added protection, preventing criminals from forcing the door open. You get safety sensors included with your opener and auto-reverse technology avoiding damage in the event of the door closing on your vehicle.
The chain drive on this model makes for smooth and fast opening and closing of the garage door. This model is a great choice for single-door garages but requires an extension kit for a double-door setup.
- Powerful 0.5-HP motor
- Wall control panel included
- Chain-drive operation
- Safety sensors
- PosiLock technology prevents forced opening
- Rolling secure opening codes
Genie 2055-LED Stealth 500
This Genie model is the flagship in the range. This garage door opener comes with a preprogrammed remote, lighted push button, and Genie’s Safe-T-Beam system included with your purchase. The Safe-T-Beam sensors activate the auto-reverse on the door, preventing damage to your vehicle.
The remotes feature roiling codes for secure operation, and it’s compatible with the Car2U and HomeLink apps, making for a smart home experience. The belt-drive operation is quiet, producing minimal vibrations for a smooth closing and opening action.
This model comes with two shatter-resistant LED bulbs to light up the garage when you arrive home. The 5-piece rail system snaps together in seconds, allowing for a fast and easy installation of your garage door opener.
- 0.5-HP motor for fast opening and closing
- Belt-drive operation
- Safe-T-Beam system to prevent accidents
- Intellicode security for rolling opening codes
- Fast, easy installation
- Car2U and HomeLink enabled
Genie Chain Drive 500
This Genie model is an affordable choice for homeowners and landlords. You get a chain-drive operation for reliability and long service life. This model includes a smooth opening and closing action that’s virtually noise-free – that’s impressive for a chain-drive model.
This garage door opener features two remotes with rolling codes for safe and secure use. You get Safe-T-Beam sensors included, preventing damage to your door thanks to the auto-reverse drive in the motor. You get easy installation with Genie’s 5-rail system that snaps together in seconds.
This model features compatibility with the Car2U and HomeLink apps for a smart home experience. The 0.5-HP motor provides fast and effective opening and closing of single garage doors.
- 0.5-HP motor
- Reliable chain-drive operation
- Quiet and smooth action
- Easy installation
- Safe-T-Beam system with auto-reverse
Other Best Selling Options
- Smart garage door opener comes with built-in myQ technology to keep you connected and protected: Open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone with the myQ app
- Ultra-Quiet & Strong Belt Drive: Steel-reinforced belt drive and constructed with high-grade materials for years of reliability and quiet, smooth performance—perfect for attached garages
- Powered by Chamberlain’s MED Lift Power System, the B550 delivers the highest lifting force equivalent capacity compared to the 1/2 power class for effortless lifting and reliable performance
- Superior Range: Includes 2 3-button remote controls that let you control up to 3 openers. Exclusive Triband technology boosts remote range up to 1,500 feet for a quicker entrance and exit. A wireless exterior keypad permits access with a four-digit security code
- Trusted Safety & Security: Unmatched Security +2.0 100 Billion code encryption protects against hacking, and Posi-lock anti-theft protection stops attempts at forced entry. Confidently know that every click sends a secure code to your garage door opener.
- New free in-garage delivery with key by amazon available in select areas (check eligibility at amazon.com/keypromo). Prime members can opt in with the myQ smart garage hub to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage, simply link your myQ account in the Key app
- Smartphone control: Control, secure and monitor your garage door from anywhere and receive real-time notifications when your garage door is opening or closing.
- Universal: Works with all major brands of garage door openers manufactured after 1993 that have standard safety sensors.
- New design: Compact modern design with a white finish, that blends in with ceilings, walls and garage doors. New mounting plate simplifies install.
- Improved setup: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) integration makes setup easier than ever. Download the myQ App and follow the in-app instructions to get set up in minutes.
- RELIABLE AND QUIET: The Genie Chain Drive 500 garage door opener is a traditional, dependable chain drive garage door opener system that offers value and quiet performance with minimal maintenance needed
- 1/2 HP DC MOTOR: The Chain Drive 500 garage door opener motor is maintenance free and paired with a durable chain drive making this garage door opener long-lasting and reliable
- EASY TO INSTALL: The Genie Chain 500 garage door openers' strong 5-piece rail system easily snaps together with no added hardware required.
- SAFETY FOR YOUR FAMILY: Self-diagnostic Safe-T Beam system helps prevent accidents via an invisible infrared beam across the door opening that reverses the door if an object crosses the LED beam of light.
- INCLUDES & COMPATIBLE: The Genie Chain Drive 500 garage door opener system comes complete, with a single 1-button pre-programmed garage door opener remote, a lighted push button wall control, and a Safe-T-Baem System. This unit is also fully compatible with HomeLink and Car2U without the need for repeaters or hubs.
- ONLY works for 1997-2014 LiftMaster, Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman, Raynor, AccessMaster openers with PURPLE / RED / ORANGE learn button on the back (see all photos for clarification)
- Compatible with opener models 1345, 1355, 1356, 3220, 3240, 3265, 3270, 3280, 3800, 3500, 3850, 3585, 3595 etc (see description for full list)
- Replacement for 370LM, 371LM, 372LM, 373LM, 374LM, 950CD, 953D, 139.53753, 41A6127-1, HBW2028, 971LM, 972LM, 973LM, 974LM, 970LM, 139.53681, 139.53680 etc (see description for full list)
- High quality replacement combo remote, works with both Security 315MHz & 390MHz frequencies
- Easy to follow programming instructions, visor clip and CR2032 battery included
- STRONG AND QUIET: The Stealth Drive Connect smart garage door opener has a 1 1/4 HPC DC Motor that is paired with a steel-reinforced belt drive making this garage door opener perfect for garages that are attached to bedrooms and/or nurseries
- SMART GARAGE SYSTEM COMPATIBLE WITH ALEXA & GOOGLE HOME: The built-in Aladdin Connect technology allows you to monitor, open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone. New features allow you to use the Stealth Drive Connect smart garage door opener to operate the garage door with voice control using the Aladdin Connect skill for Alexa or Google Home
- BATTERY BACKUP INCLUDED: The Stealth Drive Connect garage door opener comes equipped with a battery backup that allows for the garage door opener to be used when the primary power is out. This feature provides up to 50 cycles from the initial power failure.
- EASY TO INSTALL: This smart garage door opener features a strong 5-piece rail system that snaps together for easy installation. It’s lightweight with no added hardware needed. Plus, pre-programmed garage door opener remotes are ready to use out of the box to eliminate additional programming steps
- GARAGE DOOR ACCESSORIES: The Genie Stealth Drive Connect smart garage door opener comes with two pre-programmed 3-button garage door opener remotes, a wireless keypad to open the garage door with Pin, and a multi-function wall console with vacation lock and light control button.
Garage Door Opener Buyer’s Guide
Are you looking for the ultimate home convenience? A garage door opener is just the ticket. Imagine getting home and not having to worry about dragging open the garage door – what a pleasure. With a garage door opener, you get a better level of security around your arrival at home.
If criminals want to hi-jack you, they wait for you to get out of your car and put yourself in a vulnerable position – like opening the garage door. Garage door openers are also useful in bad weather. If you arrive home in a rainstorm, you don’t need to soak yourself getting out of the car to open the garage door.
A garage door opener also adds value to your property. According to studies, a garage door opener provides you with an 85% ROI when selling your home. People are also more likely to choose your home over another if you have an automatic garage door opener.
In this section, we’ll look at the types of garage door openers to help you pick a model that’s suitable for your home or business premises.
Garage Door Openers Features
When selecting your garage door opener, there are hundreds of prospective models to choose from. Finding the right one to match your requirements is challenging if you don’t know what you’re looking for in a prospective model.
Auto-Reverse and Sensors
Before 1982, electronic garage door openers didn’t come with any sensors to detect objects. As a result, the garage door would keep trying to close if it landed on your vehicle—this fault results in major damage to your car and the garage door opener.
Today’s modern garage door openers feature sensors that detect your car’s presence in the entrance to the garage. As a result, the sensor stops the garage door from closing on your vehicle. Most models also feature an auto-reverse function. When the sensor detects your car, it reverses the garage door’s direction, preventing an accident. If you’re moving into a new home with a garage built before 1982, make sure you check the garage door openers for sensors.
Rolling Coded Remotes
A rolling coded remote is an important feature for your garage door opener. Rolling codes help you switch automatically between approved frequencies that activate the garage door opener.
Criminals can intercept the signal from a standard remote, cloning the signal. When you leave for the day, they open your garage and clean you out. Since most people leave the door to the house from the garage unlocked, the criminals have direct access to your property.
With a rolling code remote, the device changes the frequency every time you push the button. As a result, criminals can’t clone your remote and enter your garage.
Manual Door Release
If the power goes out in your neighborhood, how do you get into your garage? A manual door release helps you get inside your garage when the power fails. The manual release disconnects the motor from the garage door, allowing you to slide it open by hand.
Most models come with anti-theft releases that prevent criminals from reaching under your door with a wire to reach the manual release.
A battery backup comes in handy when the power goes out in your neighborhood. With a battery backup, you can still get in and out of your garage without engaging the manual release.
However, battery backups are only useful for temporary power outages. Trying to use them to run your garage door opener full-time won’t work. There are typically limits on how many times you can open and close your garage using the battery backup. Once the power comes back, the backup charges back to full capacity.
The motor power on the garage door opener makes a difference in its speed of operation and reliability. You’ll need to be as accurate with your estimation as possible when figuring out what size motor capacity to buy. If you have a powerful motor, it’s going to cost you more in electricity to open and close the door, without any increase in speed.
As a result, you get inefficient operation with an overpowered motor. However, it’s better to have an overpowered unit than an underpowered one. An underpowered motor won’t have the power to lift the door properly. As a result, it places strain on the mechanical components in the garage door opener.
As a result, the components wear out fast, reducing the service life of your garage door opener. Rather get a more powerful model if you’re unsure about the right choice for your garage door.
Most models come with LED security lights built into the motor housing. LED lights make it easy to find your way around the garage at night, and they act as a security deterrent.
Chances are your garage is full of clutter. Trying to navigate your way around it in the dark is challenging, and you could slip, causing an injury. An LED light ensures you get a safe, well-lit space in your garage.
What are the Types of Garage Door Openers?
There are four types of garage door openers. Each of them has unique operating characteristics to suit different applications. Read through the following to get an understanding of each model.
Chain-Drive Garage Door Openers
Chain-drive garage door openers are the most common type of opener found in automatic garage doors. They feature a chain that opens the door, providing reliable use and long service life. Chain drive motors are the strongest design and typically have the longest service life.
However, the chain operation is noisy, and you’ll need to maintain the chain to reduce noise and vibration coming from the door when opening or closing it. Chain-drive motors are strong and affordable, but they might not be the best option for your application.
Belt-Drive Garage Door Openers
Belt-drive motors are the most popular option for garage door openers. The device relies on a steel-reinforced belt to open the garage door. Belt drive motors are popular due to the reduced noise and vibration they make during operation.
They’re the ideal choice for garages below living quarters, providing quiet operation that won’t wake the residents. Belt drive motors are more expensive than chain-drive models, thanks to the polymer technology used in the belt.
Jackshaft Garage Door Openers
The jackshaft motor is a premium opening solution for your garage door motor. These models offer powerful motors that open and close the garage door fast. Instead of mounting the motor on the floor or the ceiling, it mounts to the wall.
Most jackshaft models come in a compact design, offering plenty of power for opening double-garage doors. Jackshaft models provide you better security than chain or belt-driven models. Most units feature a deadbolt lock that makes it impossible to force the door open.
Jackshaft models often come with integrated smart home solutions that connect to an app on your phone. These models give you full access control of the garage door, even when you’re away from home.
Screw-Drive Garage Door Openers
These models offer excellent reliability, but they aren’t common for residential garage door openers. Most of them have more working parts than the other three types listed above. As a result, they’re more prone to breakdowns.
Screw-type motors are not a good choice for heavy doors and double-door garages. The screw threads tend to wear, and they need constant lubrication throughout the year. However, they do offer excellent opening and closing speeds.
Garage Door Opener FAQs
What kind of horsepower do I need for a two-door garage door opener?
If you’re looking for the best horsepower output for a double-door garage, we recommend going with models offer 1-HP or more. A 0.75-HP motor is suitable for operating sectional double garage doors. The heavier the door, the more horsepower you need.
Is it possible to have too much power in my garage door opener?
If your garage door opener has a powerful motor, it’s not going to cause any problems if you have a lighter door. In fact, your door opener might have a longer service life thanks to less weight on the mechanical components.
However, if you have an underpowered motor, that’s a problem. Underpowered models on heavy or double-door garage doors can stress the mechanical components, resulting in your garage door opener’s early failure.
How long will my garage door opener last?
The lifespan of your garage door opener depends on how often you use it. With infrequent use, you get 15-years or more of service life out of the opener. Regular use provides more wear-and-tear on the opener’s mechanical parts, reducing service life to around 10-years. The manufacturing brand also plays a significant role in the service life of your garage door opener.
Where can I buy the best garage door opener?
We recommend you pick up your garage door opener from the world’s largest online retailer – Amazon. Amazon has the widest range of models, with all the top brands available at the best prices. If you’re a Prime member, you get fast shipping to your door for free and buyer protection on your order.
Garage Door Openers – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best garage door opener for your home or business premises. There’s a model to suit any application, and we have openers in this review suitable for use on single or double-door garages.
However, if you’re still o the fence with your purchase decision, why not go with one of our top picks? The LiftMaster 8165W Contractor Series wins our award for the best overall garage door opener in this review. You get a powerful motor suitable for use on a single garage and double garage doors. This model comes with Wi-Fi integration, with a setup on your mobile device for total access control through the garage door on your phone.
If you’re looking for the best premium model available, we recommend going with the LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series. This model features a jackshaft design for the fast and efficient opening of the garage door. The jackshaft design limits vibration and noise coming from the garage door opener while providing a smooth opening and closing experience. You get full integration with Wi-Fi and connection to the myQ app through your mobile device.
The Skylink Atoms ATR-1611C is the best budget buy in this review. You get all the advantages of the top models in this review, at a fraction of the price. The Skylink features a 2,000-lumen LED light built into the housing and a powerful motor with a chain-drive operation. You get full smart integration to your device and access control through an app on your phone.