New gardening approaches and techniques are introduced on a regular basis, and while many of them flop, some take off and really thrive. Aquaponics is one of the newest gardening trends, and it’s really gaining traction and has proven to be a successful and enjoyable technique.
To help you on your quest to find the best aquaponics kit, we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you and we’ve narrowed down the choices to what we believe are the best home aquaponics kits currently available on the market.
In this guide, you’ll find a collection of reviews of each of our top picks, as well as a buyer’s guide, which highlights the key factors to consider when you’re shopping for one of these kits, and we wrap things up by providing answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about these types of gardening systems. With the information presented in this guide, you should have no trouble choosing the right home aquaponics kit to suit your needs.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Home Aquaponics Kit Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Aquaponics Kit Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Aquaponic Kit FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
If you’re looking for a quality aquaponics kit but you don’t have a lot of time to spend reading through lengthy reviews, this section is for you.
- The Best Pick: AquaSprouts Garden
With the AquaSprouts Garden, you can enjoy the beauty of a live aquarium and grow healthy plants at the same time. This self-sustaining system supports both marine life and plants. It comes complete with everything you need to turn any 10 gallon tank (measuring approximately 20 inches by 10 inches by 12 inches), including an easy to assemble AquaSprouts Garden, a removable light bar that can accommodate any standard indoor grow light, a pump and timer, and customized grow media.
- The Premium Pick: Pennington Aquagarden
For gardeners who are serious about growing an aquaponic garden, the Pennington Aquaponics Indoor Garden System with LED Light Upgrade is an outstanding choice – and our pick for the best premium aquaponics kit. It’s specially designed to turn any 89 gallon fish tank into a symbiotic aquarium and garden. It comes with advanced LED lights that can be programmed and features four different grow settings that can be adjusted with a handy remote control.
- The Budget Pick: Back to Roots Water Garden
If you’re just getting started with aquaponics and you want a small kit to start with and don’t want to spend a lot, the Back to the Roots Water Garden is an excellent choice. It comes complete with everything you need to get your garden and aquarium started, including a small tank, organic Microgreen seeds, D-Klor and Zym-Bac water conditioner, grow stones, and fish food, as well as coupled that you can use to buy more food at a discounted price.
Home Aquaponics Kit Reviews
Now that we’ve taken a quick look at our top three picks for the best aquaponics kits, let’s dive in a little deeper and take a closer look. In this section, we provide longer, more in-depth review of our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget systems, as well as a handful of additional high-quality models.
These reviews go into more detail about the key features of each system and feature a list of pros and cons so that you can quickly scan through advantages and disadvantages of each model.
Our pick for the best overall aquaponic kit is the AquaSprouts Garden. It’s a self-sustaining aquarium and aquaponics kit that can be used at home, in the office, or in a classroom. It comes with everything you need to transform a 10 gallon fish tank into a self-sustaining garden and aquarium.
A modern, matte black AquaSprouts garden sits on the top of the tank and can accommodate a large amount of plants. The removable light bar can be used with any standard indoor grow light to optimize the amount of light that your plants receive. A submersible 9.5 watt / 120 volt 160 gallon per hour pump will keep the water in your aquarium moving so that it remains fresh and clean.
- Self-sustaining aquarium & garden
- Transform any 10-gallon aquarium (20" x 10" x 12")
- Grow your favorite veggies, herbs and greens anywhere, all-year-round
- Perfect tool to explore how our natural environment works
It also comes with a 24 hour timer that can be set in 15 minute intervals to simplify the use of the system. Both the pump and the timer are backed by a one year warranty. It comes with specialized grow media, which replaces the soil that is used for traditional gardening and acts as a support base for your plants; just place it in the included grow bed and plant your seeds.
The grow media also offers a surface area for bacteria to grow and turn the waste the fish produce into nutrients that will feed your plants. It’s also very easy to use, as it comes with a detailed, step-by-step guide that explains how to set up the system, and you can access customer support anytime you need via phone, email, or live chat on the manufacturer’s website.
- Can turn any 10 gallon fish tank into an aquaponic garden
- Comes with a modern-designed AquaSprouts garden
- A removable light bar can accommodate any standard indoor grow light
- Comes with a 9.5 watt / 120 volt 160 gallons per hour pump
- Comes with a 24 hour timer that can be set for 15 minute intervals
- The pump and timer are backed by a 1 year warranty
- Specialized grow media grows healthy plants and turns the garden into a filter that will filter out the waste your fish produce
- Comes with an easy-to-read, step-by-step guide that explains how to set up and maintain the garden and aquarium
Pennington Aquagarden Aquaponics Indoor Garden System
With the Pennington Aquaponics Indoor Garden System from Eco-Life Conservation, you’ll be able to turn any 20 gallon fish tank into a aquaponics garden. It comes with advanced programmable LED lights that are specially designed to improve plant growth, allowing your plants to grow faster and healthier.
The light features four grow settings, which can be adjusted with a remote control, as well as a built-in timer so that you can grow the most efficient garden. It also comes with a garden bed, which sits on top of your aquarium, and it offers the most grow space of any home aquaponics kit, and it includes growing medium.
- RAISED WATER FEATURE: Stylish and unique raised living water feature pool introduces a fresh dimension to any garden, patio, or deck.
- INCLUDES AN INPOND 300 POND FILTER & WATER PUMP: Instant solution for a clear and healthy pond: combined efficient pump and filtration package for ponds up to 300 gallons.
- EASY TO SET UP AND MAINTAIN: Comes with a step-by-step guide on how to set up and the included Inpond 300 Filter is the complete life support system for fish and plants.
- ENJOY THE SIGHT AND SOUND OF MOVING WATER: Containing 3 fountain displays and a LED light to ensure your Affinity Pond looks great, day and night, all year round.
- GREAT FOR FISH AND PLANTS: Comes with 2 planting baskets for your aquatic plants and is a great habitat for fish. The viewing windows let you see into the pond and under the water.
Just place the medium in the garden bed, fill it with seeds, set it on top of your fish tank, set up your light, and sit back and watch your plants and fish thrive. This system also comes complete with a step-by-step, easy-to-read instruction manual.
With the Pennington Aquaponics Indoor Garden System with LED Light Upgrade, you’ll be able to grow a large amount of healthy plants in a sustainable, eco-friendly manner.
- Can convert any 89 gallon fish tank into an aquaponics garden
- Features advanced programmable LED lights
- The lights have four grow settings and can be adjusted with a remote control
- The lights features a built-in timer
- Features the largest garden bed of any home aquaponics kit
- Comes with growing medium
- Easy-to-read, step-by-step instructions allow for easy use
- Produces reliable, high-quality results
Back to the Roots Water Garden
This small, affordably priced kit is a great way to get started with aquaponics. It features a clear, 3 gallon tank that’s constructed of safe, high-grade, plastic material. A small garden bed sits on top of the tank and is designed to hold growing medium and seeds.
In addition to the tank and garden bed, this kit also comes with organic Microgreen seeds and Growstones growing medium to get your garden started, D-Klor and Zym-Bac that will enhance the water in your fish tank and enhance the production of their natural protective slime coating and jumpstart the nutrient cycling to maintain ideal ammonia and nitrite levels for your fish.
- YEAR ROUND WATER GARDEN: The Back to the Roots Water Garden Duo allows you to grow a succulent or houseplant garden all year round and comes with everything you need to get started - no green thum or big backyard needed.
- CONVENIENT AND EASY: Harvest organic microgreens from your aquarium in just 10 days; Your Water Garden becomes a self-cleaning fish tank that also grows fresh food up top; The fish waste fertilizes the plants on top and the plants clean the water.
- THE PERFECT LIVING HOME DECOR OR GIFT: Each Back to the Roots Water Garden Duo comes with a free STEM curriculum on aquaponic and hydroponic systems to encourage your kids to learn more about it; This award-winning ecoystem is also the perfect gift.
- COMPLETE AQUATIC ECOSYSTEM KIT: This DIY aquaponic fish tank kit is fully equipped with everything you need to get started - radish and wheatgrass seeds, water conditioner, a growing medium for your seeds to take root, water dechlorinator, fish food, and even a fish coupon
It also comes with high-quality fish food that contains the vital proteins, vitamins, and dietary supplements that your fish need to thrive, and coupons that you can use to get additional fish food at a discounted rate. The small size of this system is ideal for children and is the perfect way to introduce them to aquaponics.
Easy to use, affordably priced, and it comes complete with everything you need to get started, it’s easy to see why Back to the Roots Water Garden is our pick for the best budget home aquaponics kit.
- Comes with a 3 gallon tank that’s constructed of high-grade, durable materials
- Comes with a grow garden that sits on top of the tank
- Features Growstones nutritionally-dense growing media for plants
- Comes with an organic seed starter kit
- Features D-Klor and Zym-Bac for the water and the fish
- Comes with an advanced filtration pump
- Comes complete with nutrient-dense fish food, as well as coupons for discounted fish food
- Very easy to use
- Very affordably priced
Vivosun Aquaponic Fish Tank
Another high-quality, affordably priced, and easy to use home aquaponic kit is the Vivosun Aquaponic Fish Tank Hydroponic Cleaning Tank Fish Tank. It features a small sized clear fish tank that’s made of highly durable, yet lightweight materials, as well as a growing bed for your plants that sits on top of the tank.
An automatic siphon system allows the water level on the top of the tank to maintain a tidal-like fluctuation, which not only ensures that the plant roots are immersed in the water, but also allows them to freely and regularly breathe oxygen. It generates a natural supply of oxygen every 2 minutes.
- Aquaponics Ecosystem: Our VIVOSUN aquaponic fish tank is a magical system of symbiosis wherein fish, vegetables, and microbes work together to benefit each other; Microbes break fish dung down into nutrients which fuel the growth of the plants on top, and the plants clean the water for the fish to swim in
- Siphon Oxygen Supply & Thermostat Equipped: The tank comes equipped with a siphon system and a water level at the top of the tank keeps the water in a tidal-like fluctuation which not only keeps the plants’ roots immersed, but also keeps them regularly oxygenated; A natural oxygen supply circles every 2 minutes, offering your lovely fish a more natural existence; The included thermometer reads water temperature instantly, helping maintain a constant comfortable environment
- Self-Cleaning Function: The hydroponic system helps make dirty water clean; The mini pump draws dirty water into the tray on the top, the fish waste in the water is converted into plant fertilizer, and then the filtered clean water is returned into the tank for the fish
- Suitable for Various Hydroponic Plants: Our VIVOSUN fish tank aquarium is suitable for use with over 150 hydroponic vegetables and plants, like green dill, asparagus, pocket coconut, mint, basil, and rosemary, to name a few; A great gift for foodies and aquaponic grow lovers
- Value Pack Includes Compatible Aquarium Heater and More: The complete pack includes 1x fish tank, 1x transparent tube, 1x aquarium cover, 1x siphon cover, 1x connecting adaptor, 1x flow pump, 1x pack of ceramsite, 1x pack of white stones, 1x additional thermostat, and 1x color manual; Suitable for the VIVOSUN 50W submersible heater which can provide consistent heating for your aquatic creatures
There’s a thermostat, too, which allows you to measure the temperature of the water to ensure that your fish are in the ideal environment. A mini pump draws the dirty water into the gardening tray that sits on top of the tank and houses the plants, so that the waste in the water produced by the fish can be used to feed the plants.
The plants filter out the waste and the clean water is circulated back into the fish tank. This aquaponic tank can be used to grow more than 150 different types of vegetables, herbs, and other kinds of plants. It’s very easy to use and thanks to the small size, the tank is ideal for children or for a compact area, and with an affordable price tag, it won’t break the bank.
- Features a small tank that’s constructed of high-grade, durable, yet lightweight materials
- Features a thermostat that can be used to measure the temperature of the water
- A pump circulates the water from the tank into the garden bed, which feeds the plants, and the water the plants have cleaned is then circulated back down to the fish
- Comes with a grow tray that fits perfectly on top of the tank
- Very easy to set up and easy to use
- Can be used to grow more than 150 species of plants
- Very affordably priced
Betta 1.6 Gallon Modern Aquarium Kit
Last on our list of the best home aquaponic kits is this model from Betta. It comes with a 1.6 gallon fish tank that is made of high-grade, durable, and lightweight PMMA ABS material. A single-button smart control on the tank controls seven LED ambient lights, the water pump and filtration system.
The lights provide the plants with the light they need to thrive, while the water pump and filtration system circulates the water in the tank to the plants, which feeds them, and the water that’s been cleansed by the plants is then recycled back into the tank. It’s also ouffitted with an independent power port which adjusted the supply of oxygen so that you don’t have to fully open the lid to feed the fish.
- 🐠【Upgrade Hydroponics Growing System】 Tired of feeding your fish? Save time and money with our revolutionary Hydroponics Growing System. Featuring a unique and innovative design, the Oltraman Betta Fish Tank is a complete and compact hydroponic growing system. Made from high-quality plastic, the Betta Fish Tank is portable, lightweight, and easy to clean.
- 🐙【Beta Fish Tank Self Cleaning with Heater and Filter】 Worry about messy cleaning? The Oltraman fish tank is a great way to get your own pet without the hassle of taking care of it. This fish tank is equipped with a heater, automatic cleaning function, and removable filter.
- 🦑【1.6 Gallon Aquarium】 Bring your favorite fish to live in this Aquarium Kit. Great for beginners who want to explore the wonders of underwater life. This is a perfect home for your pet fish or goldfish. This aquarium is a great size for a desk or tabletop. It comes with a water pump and a 2-part filter system.
- 🦞【Aquaponic Fish Tank】 This tank can be used to grow fresh food up top and the fish waste fertilizes the plants on top and the plants clean the water. The Oltraman fish tank is an aquarium that is both fish bowl and houseplant garden. This product is perfect for the green thumb who is also a fish lover.
- 🎁【The Best Gift Choosing】 The best value for money. This fish tank is the greatest gift that you can send to any fish lover on festival days or birthday parties. 100% customer satisfaction, 30 days money-back, and 24 months warranty guarantee. If you have any questions, we promise to resolve the problem within 24 hours.
An adjustment knob on the side of the tank allows you to adjust the oxygen supply as needed. The multi-filtration system offers four stages of filtration, which includes volcanic stone, filter cotton wool, biochemical cotton, and an activated carbon system. Since the tank is run by a USB DC power supply system, in the event that there’s a power failure, you won’t have to worry about your tank being cut out.
A 5 volt low voltage safety control system and a 1 degree power supply can last for up to 15 days. It also features a purification system that’s powered by a USB cable connected to a charger. The water pump is whisper quiet, too, so you don’t have to worry about it interfering with your environment.
- 5 gallon tank is made of PMMA and ABS materials that are highly durable, unbreakable, and lightweight
- Features 7 LED ambient lights
- Multi-filtration system
- Comes with a whisper-quiet pump
- Powered by a USB DC power supply
- Contains a purification system
- Very easy to use
Other Best Selling Options
- Self-sustaining aquarium & garden
- Transform any 10-gallon aquarium (20" x 10" x 12")
- Grow your favorite veggies, herbs and greens anywhere, all-year-round
- Perfect tool to explore how our natural environment works
- High Yield and Quality: Soilless cultivation with nutrient film can meet the production potential of crops; Compared with traditional soil cultivation, the yield can be doubled with requiring less water and less space
- With Timer to Save Effort: This hydroponic growing system kit of PVC has a timed circulation system; The default setting of the timer allows the pump to work for 5 minutes every 30 minutes to reach the nutrient film technique; The circulation mode can also be set manually or automatically according to demand; Not only makes the pump more durable, saves nutrient solution, but also makes vegetables grow better
- Easy to Assemble & Use: This hydroponic gardening system is extremely simple to assemble and use; Great for beginners and no experience required; It is easy to save time and energy with no arable land required, which means it's suitable for indoor and outdoor
- Durable and Widely Applicable: Each food-grade PVC-U pipe is 4.3 feet(1.3 meters) long and 2.5 inches (6.3cm) in diameter with 90 sites for vegetables, flowers and plants; The hydroponics growing system kit of PVC for indoor and outdoor is especially suitable for leafy vegetables in home and offices, such as lettuce, rape, celery, beets, bell pepper, garlic seedlings, canola and so on
- What You Get: The plant germination kit has 3 layers; Comes with 1 set of planting pipes, 1 water pump timer, 1 water pump, 1 tube, 1 power plug, planting basket and sponge, 1 tweezers, 3 instructions (planting instructions, assembly instructions, timer instruction manual) and 1-year warranty
- 12 pods and 21 inches growing height: The height of the lighting part of the hydroponics growing system can be adjusted for veggies at different growth stages, helping veggies absorb energy from LED lights and promoting growth. Control panel tells you when to add plant food solution.
- Quiet Hydroponic Growing System: This indoor garden germination kit is designed with a water circulation system, increasing the oxygen in water. Press the pump to go into a cycle of 30 mins on/30 mins off with super low noise. Growing in the nutrient water faster than soil. You have total control over the weather all year round.
- Veg & "Flower & Fruit" Modes: For vegetables, choose "Veg" Mode which contains all the light. For flowers and fruits, choose "Flower" Mode which contains more red light. We have designed smart modes with different red and blue spectrum and time.
- 80 Leds Grow Light - High performance, full Spectrum 36 watt LED high efficiency grow lighting system in your herb garden is tuned to the specific needs of plants to maximize photosynthesis, resulting in rapid, natural growth and abundant harvests.
- Great gift for children, friends, partners and elders: You can use it to grow fresh herbs, veggies and fruits. Watching plants grow is an interesting hobby.This growth system not only makes your life fun, but also makes your life healthier.
Aquaponics Kit Buyer’s Guide
Essentially, aquaponics brings together a garden with an aquarium to establish what can be considered a closed-loop system in which the plants in the aquarium are fed by the waste the fish produce, and the fish eat the natural growth that develops on the roots of the plants, such as algae.
It’s very synergistic or symbiotic, as the two parts that are used in aquaponics – the fish and the plants – collaborate or work together. Essentially, the fish and the plants become interdependent, as they rely on one another to survive. Aquaponics brings together and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of both worlds: gorgeous flowers or healthy fruits and vegetables, and a sparkling clean aquarium that requires minimal maintenance and is filled with beautiful, happy, and healthy fish.
The first aquaponic tanks began as a hobby and required the use of large tanks. However, as the process proved to be successful, interest grew and the popularity took off, aquaponic kits for home use were developed, and were introduced to the market.
With a home aquaponics kit, you can enjoy the benefits of this type of gardening system. What are the benefits of aquaponics? There are many, but some of the most notable include:
- Sustainability. Aquaponics is a sustainable way to garden, as it allows you to grow plants and nurture fish in a single system, and the plants and fish work together symbiotically and thrive.
- Year-round gardening. While many kinds of gardening methods only work at certain times of the year, with aquaponics, you can farm all year long.
- Minimal water use. Compared to other types of gardening, aquaponics uses much less water. While the name may imply that it requires a lot of water usage (“aqua” = water), aquaponics actually uses about 90 percent less water than traditional methods of gardening. Because the plants cleanse the fish waste, since the fish consume the growth on the plants, and because the water is recycled throughout the system, the water very rarely has to be changed or discarded.
- Improved growth rate. Another key benefit of aquaponics is improved plant growth. In this systems, plants grow much faster, as they have access to all-natural nutrients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Little weeding. Because no soil is used, there are very little weeds in an aquaponic system. Minimal weeds also allows for improved plant growth, as the flowers, fruits, or vegetables that you’re growing can enjoy more of the nutrients that they have access to.
- Minimal space. With other types of farming, you need a lot of land and fertile soil. With aquaponics, you aren’t limited to where you can garden, as these systems don’t require soil or plots of land; rather, they can be used on any type of land or surface, including gravel, cement, rocks, and even in dry climates.
- Food security. Given the current state of the world, food independence has become extremely important. With aquaponics, you’ll be able to enjoy food security, as you can grow large amounts of your own healthy produce.
Given the many benefits that aquaponics provides, it’s easy to see why it’s become such a popular way to grow flowers and produce. If you’re looking for a fun way to garden and you want to take advantage of the above-mentioned benefits, you may be thinking about giving aquaponics a try. In order to do that, you’ll need to purchase a home aquaponics kit. As you can imagine, given the popularity of this method of gardening, the market has become pretty saturated with these systems. While having a lot of different options to choose from is certainly a good thing, with so many choices, trying to figure out which home aquaponics kit to choose can seem like a daunting task.
After reading through our list of reviews for the best home aquaponics kits, you can see that there are plenty of high-quality models to choose from. While each model is certainly high-quality and offers definite benefits, you still need to narrow down the options and select the one that will best suit your needs. How do you do that? – By taking some key factors into consideration.
In this part of our guide, we discuss the most notable factors that you should consider when you’re shopping for a home aquaponics kits. By taking these factors into consideration, you will be able to narrow down the choices and select the model that will best suit your specific needs.
First and foremost, you’re going to want to consider the type of aquaponics kit that you want. There are two main options: a full system that comes complete with all of the components that are needed to get started with aquaponics, including the fish tank, and an extension kit, which comes with accessories that can be used to turn a standard fish tank into an aquaponic tank.
With the former, you won’t need to purchase a fish tank, which is a definite plus; however, the downside is that they are usually small. With the latter, you can turn a larger tank into an aquaponics system, and because they’re larger, you can yield more plants; however, the downside here is that these kits tend to be a bit more expensive.
Once you decide what type of aquaponics kit you’d like to use, the next thing you’ll need to do is decide on the size. As you can see from our list of reviews, these systems come in a wide variety of sizes.
The size of the system will not only affect how many fish you can have and the number of plants you can grow, but it will also impact where you can use the system. To determine what size you’ll need, consider the area where you plan on using the system.
Use a tape measure to get accurate measurements of the area and then keep those measurements in mind when you’re shopping in order to ensure that you choose one that is appropriately sized and can fit into the space.
You’ll also want to consider the materials that the system is made of. The best home aquaponic kits are constructed of high-grade, durable, yet lightweight materials. The materials that the system is made of will have a direct impact on the overall quality of the system, how well it will work, and how long it will last.
Ease of Use
Another important factor that you’re going to want to take into consideration when you’re shopping for a home aquaponics kits is the ease of use. Obviously, you want the system to be as easy to use as possible.
The easier the system is to use, the more enjoyable raising plants and fish will be. The best systems come complete with easy to follow, step by step instruction manuals and offer customer support from the manufacturer.
Home aquaponic kits can come with a variety of features. Some come with just the basics, including the garden bed that sits on top of the tank and a filter for the water; however, there are other models that come with everything you need, including the tank, filter, garden bed, growing medium, grow lights, programmable timers, thermostats, and even fish food.
Usually, the more features a home aquaponics kit comes with, the higher the price tag will be; however, do keep in mind that while you may have to pay more for a system that comes with all of the components, if you opt to select a system that only comes with the basics, you’ll need to purchase the additional accessories, which could actually drive up the overall price. That being said, however, if you need to purchase the accessories yourself, you can select the options that will best suit your specific needs and create a customized home aquaponics kit.
Last, but certainly not least, you’re going to want to consider the price of the home aquaponics kit. The prices vary widely, with some models costing less than $10, and others costing a few hundred dollars or more.
Remember that the size of the system, the materials it’s made of, and the features it comes with will all affect the price of the kit. Make sure you set a budget before you start shopping so that you can avoid spending more than you can comfortably afford.
Aquaponic Kit FAQs
Are home aquaponic kits really worthwhile?
Absolutely! If you’re looking for an effective, efficient, and enjoyable way to grow a garden and raise fish, than yes, an aquaponic kit is definitely worth the investment of your time and money.
Are aquaponic kits hard to use?
It depends on the model that you purchase. The best models come with easy to follow instructions and once you get the hang of it, using the system will become second nature.
With a home aquaponics kit, you can enjoy growing beautiful, healthy plants, as well as beautiful, healthy fish in the same space. This eco-friendly, low-maintenance systems are quite revolutionary and very enjoyable to use. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to choose the best aquaponics kit to suit your specific needs.