With the summer wrapping up, and the leaves on the trees turn shades of crimson and gold, you know you’re going to have to clean the gutters in a few weeks. Whether you need to get to the gutters, onto the roof, or replace a light bulb inside your home, you need a ladder.
Every homeowner needs a ladder. It’s a useful piece of equipment to have on hand. However, storing a ladder is an issue. Most models feature a folding design that makes them a problem to pack away, especially if your home doesn’t have a garage.
If you’re a contractor, you don’t want to go to the hassle of carrying around a full-size ladder in your truck. Strapping it to your roof rack or hanging it off the back of the tailgate presents a hazard. A telescopic ladder solves these storage issues.
With a telescopic model, you get a collapsible frame for compact storage. Reduce a 22-foot ladder to a 2-foot carry-size frame in a few seconds. Pack it away and take it with you between job sites, without any hassle.
If you’re a homeowner and don’t have a garage or storage space available, a telescopic ladder helps you pack it out of the way without taking up much room. A telescopic ladder is a must-have item for any contractor or homeowner.
In this review, we’ll look at the best telescoping ladders. We’ll give you our top picks and recommendations on other useful models.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Telescoping Ladders Reviews
- 2.1 Best Pick: Telesteps 1600EP Wide Step
- 2.2 Premium Pick: Telesteps 1800E Professional Extension Ladder
- 2.3 Budget Pick: findmall Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 2.4 Handvoll Telescoping Ladder
- 2.5 Xaestival Lionladder EN131-6 Telescoping Ladder
- 2.6 Telescoping Ladder A-Frame
- 2.7 Werner MT-22
- 2.8 Cosco Smartclose Telescoping Aluminum Ladder
- 2.9 TOOLITIN Telescoping Ladder
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Telescoping Ladders Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What Do I Look for In a Telescopic Ladder?
- 4.2 Frame Materials
- 4.3 Extension Height and Maximum Reach
- 4.4 Folded Size
- 4.5 Ladder Weight
- 4.6 Setting up Your Telescopic Ladder
- 4.7 Smooth Retraction and Extension
- 4.8 Locking Pins and Safety Indicators
- 4.9 Versatile Use
- 4.10 Durable Design
- 4.11 No-Pinching Closing System
- 4.12 Closing Carry Strap
- 4.13 Maintaining Your Telescopic Ladder
- 5 Telescoping Ladder FAQs
- 6 Telescoping Ladders Reviews – The Verdict
We scoured online retailers looking for the best telescoping ladders. There are hundreds of models from dozens of manufacturers. Trying to settle on the right model is challenging with so much choice. We decided to cut down your research time with this handy review.
Our top models represent the best of the best. We have models for contractors and homeowners, with a budget choice if you’re looking for the ladder with the best value and lowest price tag.
Best Pick: Telesteps 1600EP Wide Step
- 12.5 ft Professional wide step telescoping extension ladder, with 16 ft reachable height
- Type 1A 300 lb rated; weighs 25 lbs and Portability makes it easy to pack up and store safely inside your vehicle or truck.
- Fully automatic operation up and down with patented One-Touch release mechanism
- 100% Silicone pivoting feet for safe grip
- OSHA certified, ANSI 14.2 tested
This 12.5-foot telescoping ladder comes with a 16-foot reach, with a Type-1A design rated for supporting weights up to 300lbs. This model weighs 19.5lbs when packed up, with a compact 32-inch folded height. You get a patented one-touch release system to raise the ladder effortlessly and adjustable non-slip silicone feet. The safety indicators show you the steps are in place, locked, and ready for use. This model features design and construction with aircraft-grade aluminum.
Premium Pick: Telesteps 1800E Professional Extension Ladder
- Type 1A 300 LBS rated; weighs 30.5 lbs
- Made from sturdy, lightweight high quality aluminum alloys
- Fully automatic telescoping operation , Easy to carry, easy to use, easy to store
- Length 33 inches to 14.5 feet(fully extended), Outer dimensions of packaging: 33" x 4.9" x 20"
- Gives the same climbing height as an 18 ft. extension ladder
If you’re a contractor looking for the best telescoping ladders available, this Telesteps model is the best choice for your new telescopic ladder. With this model, you get a 14.5-foot extension, offering a reachable height of 18-feet. You get the same top-quality aircraft-grade aluminum frame and step-locking system in the other models in the Telesteps range. This ladder features a collapsible height of 34-inches for compact storage and weighs 30lbs. IT’s the ideal model for reaching any roof, and the best choice for contractors.
Budget Pick: findmall Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
- Size Information: Folding Height: 2.78ft*1.6ft*0.3ft/2.9ft*1.6ft*0.3ft/3.18ft*1.6ft*0.31ft ; Opening Height: 10.5ft*1.6ft*0.3ft/ 12.5ft*1.6ft*0.3ft/14.5ft*1.6ft*0.31ft ; Load Capacity: 330Lbs, Weigh: 19 Lbs/21.6Lbs/28.9Lbs. Small size after folding, the rear compartment/locker can be stored freely.
- Material: Made of aluminum alloy, it is waterproof, corrosion resistant, high strength, portable and durable.
- Advantages: One Button Retraction: With an inward sliding latch, you can adjust the steps in steps of 1 foot increments without need any laborious, that you can retracting any height you need.
- Security Non-slip end caps hold the base firmly in place, while extra-wide steps ensure safe climbing.
- Application: For Indoors and Outdoors. This useful ladder should be part of any household and tool kit. It can be used to reach the most difficult area; Practical and useful ladder for individuals and professionals
Homeowners looking for the best value deal in their telescopic ladder can find it in the findmall model. This ladder features a 10.5-foot extension, with a reachable height of 12.5-feet. It’s everything you need to clean the gutters and sort our tasks around your residence. This model collapses into a compact size of 2.8-feet, for easy storage and carry. This model comes with locking steps to secure the frame during use, and one-button retraction for an easy breakdown.
Telescoping Ladders Reviews
Now that you have a better idea of the best telescoping ladders, let’s unpack our top picks in further detail. We’ll also look at other ladders we think present you with a good deal.
After reading the reviews, use the tips in our buyer’s guide to help you settle on the right model to match your needs. Whether you’re a homeowner or contractor, there’s a model in this review for you.
Best Pick: Telesteps 1600EP Wide Step
Telesteps is the originator of the telescopic ladder system, so it’s no surprise they’re the winner of the best telescoping ladder in this review. With this Telesteps model, you get a professional-quality ladder system suitable for homeowners and contractors.
Its all-around performance is fantastic, with a 12.5-foot extension height, and 14.5-foot maximum reach. This model is ideal for basic maintenance of your gutters and hard-to-reach areas around your home. The Telesteps 1600EP features design and construction with aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and lightweight storage.
The steps fold into a 32-inch height, and weight 20-lbs. Carry them around your home with ease, and store them away in a cupboard or the garage.
- Easy to use, carry, and store
- Safe, strong, and reliable
- 12.5-foot extension with 14.5-foot reachable height
- Locking steps with adjustable height for versatile use
- OSHA compliant with an aircraft-grade aluminum design
- Adjustable silicone feet
- One-touch release system
- Safety indicators for steps
- Might be too short for contractors
Premium Pick: Telesteps 1800E Professional Extension LadderThis Telesteps model offers the best premium choice for homeowners and contractors. This telescoping ladder comes with a 14.5-foot maximum extension and an 18-foot maximum reach. This model comes with the patented one-touch release system for easy opening and closing of the ladder, and am pinch-free operator experience.
The frame collapses to a height of 34-inches, weighing 30-lbs. It’s a lightweight and durable choice, featuring design and construction with aircraft-grade aluminum. You get adjustable silicone feet to create a stable surface with plenty of traction and safety indicators on the rungs to show the ladder is locked in place.
- The best choice for contractors
- The collapsible frame is easy to carry and store
- 14.5-foot extension with 18-foot reachable height
- Locking step indicators
- Adjustable height with versatile use
- OSHA compliant with aircraft-grade aluminum frame
- Adjustable silicone feet
- One-touch quick-release system
- Step safety indicators
- Might be too large for some homeowners
Budget Pick: findmall Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
Homeowners looking for the best budget model in this review will get the most value out of the findmall system. This telescopic ladder features design and construction with aluminum alloy material for a lightweight finish.
You get a 10.5-foot extension, with a 12.5-foot reachable height.
This model is a great choice for homeowners that need a ladder for light overhead work around the home. You get a 2.8-foot collapsible height for compact storage, with a total weight under 24-lbs for lightweight transport.
The findmall comes with non-slip end caps for sturdy use, and extra-wide steps for easy climbing and stability.
- Affordable price tag
- 2.8-foot collapsible design
- 10.5-foot extension with 12.5-foot reachable height
- Locking pins for steps
- Aluminum frame design
- Rated to carry 330lbs
- Not suitable for contractors
Handvoll Telescoping LadderThis EN131 certified telescopic ladder features design and construction with durable aluminum-alloy. You get a compact ladder system with an extension of 15.5-feet, with a maximum reach of 18-feet. This ladder features a 330lbs rating, with plenty of strength in the frame.
The ladder folds down to under three feet for easy storage and comes with two hooks for hanging in your garage’s rafters. You get push-button action to open and close the ladder, with anti-slip feet and rigid steps for a secure climb.
This ladder has excellent reach, and it’s suitable for double-story homes and contractor use. You get a compact and lightweight telescopic system with all the safety features you need around a commercial job site, or the house.
- Frame design with 15.5-foot extension
- 330lbs rating
- Large diameter tubing for a secure design
- Suitable for contractors
- Quick adjustment
- Hooks included for easy storage
- Anti-slip feet for safe use
- Might be too large for most homeowners
Xaestival Lionladder EN131-6 Telescoping LadderWith this telescoping model, you get an upgraded design, featuring a patented push/pull switch for easy unlocking and opening. The slow descending system ensures a pinch-free operating experience, and you get a 12.5-foot extension with a 16-foot maximum reach for this model.
This ladder comes with locking indicators on every step for additional safety, and thick rubber feet for a non-slip setup. The feet feature rotating supports for superior locking This ladder folds away into a compact storage size under three feet, with a total weight of 30lbs.
- 12.5-foot extension height
- Ideal for homeowners
- Anti-slip feet for secure use
- Collapses to 2.8-feet
- Dual locking pins
- Easy to transport and store
- Not suitable for contractors
Telescoping Ladder A-Frame
A premium choice, this model comes with an A-frame design for superior stability. You get wide steps and a solid frame, with aircraft-grade aluminum design.
The rungs come with an independent locking system, and you get a 17-foot extension with this model. This model offers an easy setup and a safety rating to 330lbs.
- Collapsible A-frame design for versatile use
- 17-foot extension
- Independent locking system for steps
- Wide-steps for secure climbing
- Rated to support up to 330lbs
- Non-slip feet for safe climbing
- Manufactured with aircraft-grade aluminum
- A-frame design adds to weight and storage size
If you’re a contractor looking for a versatile model for the job site, choose this telescoping ladder. This model features a 22-foot maximum extension, with multiple flexion points for an adjustable setup. The soft push knobs give you an easy extension of the ladder, and it has a safety rating, up to 300lbs.
You get the choice of 28 working positions and heights, with double-riveted steps for secure footing while working and climbing.
- A great choice for contractors
- 22-foot extension height
- Multi-purpose design for utility
- Soft-touch push knobs for easy extension
- Non-marking, non-slip feet for easy setup
- Supports up to 300lbs
- Doesn’t break down as far as other telescopic models
Cosco Smartclose Telescoping Aluminum LadderThis model features a no-pinch close system, with a 12.5-foot extension and 16-foot maximum reach. It’s everything the homeowner needs for duties around the yard. You get a durable aluminum design for added support and safety rating up to 300lbs.
You get a soft close for this ladder and durable rubber feet for excellent support and non-slip use. This model breaks down for compact storage, weighing 30lbs for lightweight transport.
- 12.5-foot extension with 16-foot maximum reach
- 300lb rated load capacity
- Aircraft-grade aluminum frame
- Locking pins for secure use
- Pinch-free closing
- Patented SmartClose system
- Robust rubber feet for safe climbing and support
- Premium Price
TOOLITIN Telescoping LadderThis TOOLTIN model comes with assisted opening and closing for a pinch-free design.
You get a 12.5-foot extension with a 16-foot maximum reach, making it a fantastic choice for homeowners. The one-button retraction system improves safety and convenience, but add some weight to the ladder.
You get design and construction with Aerospace engineered 6061 aluminum-alloy, featuring a seamless finish.
- Slow-down closing design for extra safety
- 12.5-foot extension with 16-foot reach
- Premium aluminum alloy design
- One-button retraction
- Intelligent step-locking system
- Portable collapsible design with easy storage
- Stable base with secure feet
- Might be too short for contractors
Other Best Selling Options
- ✅ One Button Retraction: Convenience is key! That’s why we’ve designed this ladder with easy one button retraction. Simply press down on the thumb buttons and the ladder will slide down effortlessly.
- ✅ Premium Aluminum Alloy: The Ohuhu Telescopic Extension Ladder is crafted from high-quality aluminum alloy. It’s lightweight and easy to carry without sacrificing strength.
- ✅ Rock-Solid Stability: This ladder is as sturdy as they come, with a weight capacity of up to 330lbs! Non-slip end caps hold the base firmly in place, while extra-wide steps ensure safe climbing. We’ve also made sure that this ladder is compliant with EN131 and SGS European safety standards to give you some peace of mind.
- ✅ Safe to Use: No more pinched fingers! The telescoping ladder’s high quality construction ensures that each section expands and retracts safely. Intelligent locking pins hold the sections in place and prevent sliding, and the ladder will retract smoothly and slowly.
- ✅ Extreme Versatility: This telescopic ladder is the homeowner’s best friend. Thanks to its maximum height of 12.5 ft (3.8m) , the Ohuhu Telescope Extension Ladder is perfect for all of your specific needs. Use it to help paint the walls, change the light bulbs, clean the windows, and everything in between.
- ◆ Premium Materials : Our telescoping Extension Ladder is crafted from premium aluminum alloy.The surface of aluminium is oxidized, which can prolong the life of folding ladder.And its plastic parts is reinforced with nylon fibre to improves load capacity, stability, aging resistance and extends service life.Our telescopic ladders have a maximum load of 330lb/150kg.
- ◆ One Button Retraction : While guaranteeing the quality, our telescoping aluminum ladder also has One-button retraction function.Simply press the thumb buttons, this ladder will descending smoothly from its unfolded condition to compact size,So convenient.
- ◆ Intelligent Locking Mechanism : We have upgraded the internal structure of the collapsible ladders,our sliding ladder has intelligent locking mechanism in each rung(The red button under the rung,you can also adjust the height of the ladder as you like ),each step falls slowly and smoothly when retracting,the problem of pinching hand is completely solved.
- ◆ Portable and Space Saving : This foldable ladder is lightweight and easy to carry.Such folding ladders are convenient and space-saving to store. Our retractable ladder can be stored under the bed, behind the cabinet or behind the door and so on.
- ◆ Versatility : The maximum height of the ladder is 12.5FT (3.8m), and people can be used for household daily or hobbies, like changing bulb, paint the walls,clean the windows,climbing the tree, used as a attic ladder and so on. Our compact ladder is also compliant with safety standards to give you some peace of mind.I believe the little giant ladder can bring great convenience to people's life.
- ✪ Smart-Close system: Due to the upgrading of the internal structure, each step falls slowly and smoothly when retracting, the problem of pinching hand is completely solved.
- ✪One-Button Retraction: It takes only 5-8 seconds to retract the ladder from its full extension, convenient and safe.
- ✪Selected Material: Made of aerospace engineered 6061 aluminum alloy with a Clean-Touch anodized finish, making the ladder have 330 lbs of weight capacity.
- ✪Easy Portability: Compact Storage Size - Its fully extended height is 12.5feet, and the storage size is only ¼ of that. Fixed with heavy-duty strap for easy transport and storage in your trunk or other limited space.
- ✪ Considerate Desing: Integrated carrying handle with heavy-duty closure strap for convenient storage and transport.
- ✪ NON-SLIP BLOCK+MOVABLE ROLLER WHEELS---In order to improve safety,our aluminum extension ladder is equipped with two orange plastic non-slip block，increase friction with the ground.It is stable and safe to use even on smooth ground. At the same time, in order to improve the practicality and easier for moving, our step ladder is equipped with two black non-slip roller wheels
- ✪ WIDENED PEDAL+THICK ANTI-AIR ALUMINUM ALLOY---The first step of the bottom is widened to 3inch/7.5 cm, the orange safety position and the above pedal are widened to 1.58inch/4cm, thickness is increased to 2.5cm,thickness of the side aluminum alloy steel pipe reaches 0.59inch/1.5cm. Compared to similar size ladders,our ladders are safer, stronger and more durable!
- ✪ DURABLE ALUMINUM ALLOY MATERIALS---Thick aluminum alloy with high strength and thick bearing capacity.Plastic parts in the middle of the screw fixed 100% safety.The thickness of plastic parts is increased, and the bearing weight can be 330 pound. Surface by aluminum oxidation treatment, long service life.
- ✪ SPACE SAVING ARBITARY CONTRACTION---The extension ladder can be stored under the sofa or bed, behind the door, in the storage room, or in the trunk of the car.The telescoping ladder can be arbitrarily telescopic length,the fully extended length is18.5 FT and fully retracted height is 3.7 FT.When not in use can be fully folded to save space,convenient and practical.
- ✪ MULTIPURPOSE USING---Indoor and outdoor using:decoration, installation and adjustment of the camera, badminton,repairing the roof,installing and repairing street lights,climbing trees,etc.It is the best gift for the New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day.
- Safety: Stabilizer bar and non-slip mat improve the stability of the ladder, eliminating your worry about swaying when using the ladder.
- One-Button Retraction: New upgraded internal structure, no more worry about pinching hands. It takes only a few seconds to retract the ladder from its full extension by pushing the switch at the bottom, convenient and safe.
- Selected Material: The telescoping ladder is made of premium aluminum alloy. Crash resistance design is added at the joint to extend its service life. The maximum load-bearing capacity is up to 330lbs.
- Multiple Function: The height of ladder can be adjusted by one foot to meet your different needs, such as replacing bulbs, cleaning windows, or decorating rooms, etc.
- Compact Storage Size: Its fully extended height is 4.7m, and the storage size is only ¼ of that. Fixed with heavy-duty strap for easy transport and storage in your trunk or other limited space.
Telescoping Ladders Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the reviews, you should have a good idea of the different models available. Choosing the right telescopic ladder might seem like a challenging task, even with a few ladders on offer. You need to select a model that meets your homeownership or contracting requirements.
In this section, we’ll unpack why you need a telescopic ladder, and what to look for in an ideal model. Check out our FAQ section for more information on choosing the right ladder for you.
What Do I Look for In a Telescopic Ladder?
How do you intend to use your new telescopic ladder? What are the tasks you’ll need it for around the home and the yard? Are you a contractor in need of a new ladder? What kind of work do you do, and how will you be using your ladder?
Before you settle on your ideal model, you need to understand what you’re going to need for around the home or the job site. Homeowners can get away with a ladder that gives them enough height to reach the gutters and roof. Think about it, when was the last time you used a ladder at a height over 12-feet?
Even if you’re trimming the bougainvillea, or changing an outdoor security light, you never have to get up that far. However, if you’re a contractor, you might need to get onto roofs or reach the top of trees and poles. Selecting the right height for your ladder is critical, but there are plenty of other factors to consider.
When selecting the best telescoping ladders, there are a couple of key features to look for in any model. The first is the construction materials for the frame and steps.
Most manufacturers use aircraft-grade aluminum or aluminum alloys for the frame. This material provides an excellent balance between strength and weight, giving you a compact, lightweight ladder that’s strong enough to support 300lbs or more.
However, if you’re a contractor, you might want to go with a fiberglass model over an aluminum ladder. Aluminum conducts electricity, while fiberglass provides a safe workspace. Fiberglass models tend to be more expensive than aluminum models.
Extension Height and Maximum Reach
When deciding on your ideal telescopic ladder, the most important feature to focus on is the extension and the reach height of the model. This factor determines the maximum height you can reach with the ladder and the limitations of its utility.
If you’re a homeowner, a 12-foot to 16-foot extension length is all you need for most tasks around the yard and inside your house. However, if you own a two-story home, you might need something bigger. Contractors typically need the longest ladder they can find. Choosing a model with an 18 to 20-foot reachable height provides an elevated workspace for the most demanding jobs.
It’s important to note that there is a difference between the extension height and the maximum reachable height. The extension height is the last safe rung on the ladder, while the extension height involves the height the average person has when standing on the last safe rung.
If you’re a homeowner with the average single-story home, there’s no need to go for a longer ladder. Longer ladders might have larger extension ranges, but they are heavier and less compact when folded.
The folded size of your telescopic ladder matters for storage and transport. Most ladders’ folded size comes in at under 3-feet, making it the ideal solution for compact storage. A telescopic ladder can pack away easily in a kitchen cupboard or the garage. Contractors can keep it in the truck’s load bay without having the ladder hanging over the side like a traditional model.
When folded, it’s easy to carry the ladder around. The folded size of the ladder makes it a great idea for homeowners that don’t have a garage to store a traditional model. Pack the telescopic ladder away in a cupboard, without limiting your space.
When picking out your telescopic ladder, the safety rating is a vital consideration. We recommend looking at ladders that have one or several of the following safety accreditations.
- OSHA Compliant
- ANSI 14.2 Tested
- TUV GS
Most telescopic ladders come with sturdy design and materials, providing support for weights up to 300lbs or more. Make sure that you’re never overloading the ladder past its safety rating during use.
Telescopic ladders receive safety rating referring to the maximum load capacity they can handle.
- Type IA has a rating to support up to 300lbs
- Type I to 250lbs
These are the most common safety ratings you’ll find, so choose the most sensible model for your requirements. It’s important to note that the safety rating will also affect the price tag of the model.
Therefore, if you’re a homeowner and require a ladder for infrequent use, you’re better going with a lower rating to save on costs. However, if you’re a contractor, it’s better to go for the best safety rating you can find.
If you’re overloading the ladder past its capacity, it results in the failure of the rungs. There are hundreds of thousands of ladder accidents each year in the United States, and most of them occur due to overloading the equipment. Choose the right ladder with the correct safety rating.
Setting up Your Telescopic Ladder
You must use the telescopic ladder according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. When receiving your ladder, we recommend reading through the owner’s guide before setting it up for the first time.
Your telescopic ladder will have pinch-points on the rungs, and it’s critical to understand where they are before setting up your ladder. The last thing you need to happen is to hurt your finger or hand one of the rungs while closing or opening the ladder.
When setting up your ladder against a wall, ensure that the feet are on a level surface. If you climb the ladder on an unstable surface, it results in the ladder swaying and an accident. Look for models that have stable feet, with support crossbars and height adjustments.
Always use a ladder with someone else holding the base for you. The higher you climb, the more unstable the ladder becomes. Therefore, having someone controlling the bottom is the best way to improve safety.
Smooth Retraction and Extension
When choosing your ladder, look for models that offer smooth opening and closing. Some models have easy one-touch systems for breakdown of the ladder, reducing the possibility of accidents around the home or on the job site.
Assisted opening and closing is a great way to reduce the effort involved with using your ladder. However, some of these models are slightly heavier than those that don’t have an assisted-open/close feature.
Locking Pins and Safety Indicators
As mentioned, the top reason for ladder accidents in the US is the ladder rungs’ failure. We recommend looking for a telescopic ladder featuring locking pins with safety indicators.
These models offer the best control over the ladder, ensuring your safe use of your equipment. This feature is essential for contractors, providing a layer of safety that prevents unnecessary injury.
Locking pins ensure the rungs stay in place, even when using the ladder at the maximum load capacity. Safety indicators are essential for the correct setup of the ladder.
After locking the ladder rungs, the ladder’s body should have an indicator showing you the safety status of the ladder.
How you intend to use your ladder matters when making your purchase. If you’re a contractor, you might need a stable raised surface for reaching high platforms on job sites. Having a ladder that breaks down into various formats can be beneficial for your work.
Make sure that you choose a model featuring a durable design. Most ladders feature design and construction with aircraft-grade aluminum or aluminum-alloys that have plenty of strength.
The strength of the frame plays a significant role in the safety rating of the ladder. Choose a model that meets the standards of your job site or home-use requirements.
However, it’s important to remember that weight plays a factor in the design of the ladder. If you’re looking for a lightweight model, we recommend going with aluminum for easy transport.
No-Pinching Closing System
Telescopic ladders come with no-pinch closing and opening systems. The rungs on the ladder present a pinching hazard, and this system can prevent an injury on the job site. Most models come with a foot-pedal allowing you to extend and retract the ladder to your desired height.
The ladder also features an angled thumb-release lever, allowing the easy retraction of the steps, so your hands don’t experience any pinching when closing the equipment. A no-pinch system is not available in all models. Therefore, if it sounds like a safety feature you want on your ladder, make sure you include it in your budget.
Closing Carry Strap
After closing your ladder, you have to move it from the job site back to your truck or garage. Most telescopic ladders weight between 20lbs to 30lbs, depending on the size. A carry handle helps you distributer the load across your shoulders, making for easy transport and handling.
The closure strap not only acts as a handle, but it prevents the ladder from opening accidentally. The closure strap typically hooks around the ladder legs, securing with a clip or Velcro strip.
With some models, you get the closure strap acting as the carry handle, while other models have an independent carry handle and strap system.
Maintaining Your Telescopic Ladder
Your ladder will need some basic maintenance to ensure it provides a long service life. After you finish with your task, make sure you remove all oil and debris from the ladder. Wipe it down with a cloth, and remove all moisture before collapsing it for storage in the trunk of your car or the garage.
When using your ladder, make sure all the hinges are tight and look for wear on the locking hinges. Check the ladder for any signs of dents or pressure dings that might affect its safety. Broken rungs and beams mean that you need a replacement.
Store your ladder away from other objects that could damage it. Some models come with storage hooks for hanging in your garage or workshop.
Telescoping Ladder FAQs
Can you use a telescopic ladder without extending it?
Yes, your telescopic ladder can function as a small set of steps for reaching shelves in the kitchen or the workshop, without extending it. However, you need to ensure the ladder is on a stable and secure footing before attempting to use it.
Is it safe to use telescopic ladders around the house?
Yes, it’s entirely safe to use your telescopic ladder inside or outside your home. Telescopic models breakdown to compact carrying sizes for movement around the house or job site. Make sure you read the instructions included with your model for advice on setting up the ladder.
Learn how to lock the steps in place before climbing, or you risk injury. These ladders don’t require you to extend them fully. Therefore, if you only need to use a few steps to change a lightbulb, you only need to extend the ladder halfway, and it will work fine.
Is there a difference between fiberglass and aluminum telescopic ladders?
Both aluminum and fiberglass ladders have excellent strength for doing jobs around the house. However, aluminum is a conductive material not suitable for electrical jobs. Fiberglass is not conductive, providing a safer choice for electrical contractors. However, fiberglass is the more expensive option and not necessary for most home maintenance projects.
Can you explain the 4-to-1 rule?
When setting up your ladder against a wall, keep the base of the ladder 1-foot from the wall for every 4-feet you climb. Therefore, for optimal stability, the ladder should be 3-feet away from the wall if you’re climbing to 12-feet.
Telescoping Ladders Reviews – The Verdict
By now, you should have your eye on the best telescoping ladders to suit your needs as a homeowner or contractor. However, we realize it’s challenging to settle on a final choice. With so much selection available, how do you narrow down your options?
If you’re having issues with choosing the right ladder, why not go with one of our top picks? The Telesteps 1600EP Wide Step telescopic ladder is a great choice for both contractors and homeowners looking for the ideal all-purpose, go-to ladder for reaching your home’s roof and gutters. This ladder might struggle with handling clearing on 2-story buildings, but it’s a great choice for single-story homes.
If you want something larger, contractors will get the most value out of the Telesteps 1800E Professional Extension Ladder system. This model features a collapsible height of 34-inches, with a maximum unfolded size of 14.5-feet. You get an 18-foot reach from this model, with the same aircraft-grade aluminum design and locking system for the steps.
Homeowners looking for the best budget deal in this review will find the findmall Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder is everything they need for general home maintenance. This affordable model features aluminum design, locking steps, and a 12.5-foot reachable height with a 10.5-foot extension.