We don’t know about you, but we love the winter. Waking up to a steaming mug of hot chocolate is exhilarating as you survey the impact of last night’s snowfall, creating a winter wonderland in your backyard.
However, the cold is something that takes getting used to, with chilly mornings and evenings. Make things more comfortable around your home this year; it’s time to think about installing the best electric fireplace in your lounge.
Owning an electric fireplace is a great way to turn your home into a cozy dwelling this winter. In this post, we’ll look at the best electric fireplaces for your home and make recommendations on our top models.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Electric Fireplaces Reviews
- 2.1 Dimplex Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace
- 2.2 Touchstone 80004 – Sideline Electric Fireplace
- 2.3 Xbeauty Electric Fireplace Stove
- 2.4 R.W.FLAME Electric Fireplace Insert
- 2.5 TURBRO in-Flames In-Wall Recessed Electric Fireplace
- 2.6 Dimplex Electric Fireplace Deluxe Insert
- 2.7 Tangkula 30 Inches Recessed Electric Fireplace
- 2.8 HOMCOM Freestanding Electric Fireplace Heater
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Electric Fireplace Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What are the Types of Electric Fireplaces?
- 6 What Do I Look for In an Electric Fireplace?
- 7 Electric Fireplace FAQs
- 8 Conclusion
If you want to start your winter preparations right away, you can skip the rest of the review and rely on our top choices for your electric fireplace.
We scoured dozens of listings to find the best electric fireplaces for your home. Here are our top picks. We have models to suit any style or décor theme, with a fireplace to suit any budget.
- The Best Pick: Dimplex Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace
Dimplex makes the most lifelike electric fireplaces. The first time you fire it up, you’re going to find the flames look like the real thing. You might even turn it off in surprise. This Dimplex model takes a modern twist on a classic design. You get a 20-inch fireplace, with innovative “Revillusion” flame technology, producing realistic flames using a mirage panel. This fireplace is a great choice for heating rooms up to 400-square feet.
- The Premium Pick: Touchstone 80004 – Sideline Electric Fireplace
Larger modern homes looking for stylish, contemporary design in their electric fireplace will love this Touchstone model. This wall-mounted model fits into a recess in your wall, providing a flush-mounted visual effect.
- The Budget Pick: Xbeauty Electric Fireplace Stove
Homeowners looking for the best budget electric fireplace will get value put of this Xbeauty model. You get a classic design, with retro styling and efficient heating for rooms up to 500-square feet. There’s a thermostat control, along with flame modes and heat settings.
Electric Fireplaces Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the best electric fireplaces let’s unpack our top models in detail. We’ll also look a5t a few other models suitable for use in your home this winter.
Sticks around after the reviews for our electric fireplace buyer’s guide. We’ll give you tips and recommendations on choosing the right fireplace for your home.
Dimplex Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace
Dimplex has a reputation for creating the most lifelike electric fireplaces. This “Revillusion” model wins our top award for the best overall electric model in this review. You get a 20-inch model that fits into your existing fireplace, allowing for a seamless transition from traditional to modern.
This electric fireplace comes with 1,000 to 1,500-watt operation and dual heating modes for fast heating of your room. The flames in this model are the real attraction. The Dimplex Revillusion technology uses a projector panel to create the illusion of a real fire. The lifelike flames come with five modes to set the mood in your lounge.
The logs’ realistic design means your guests will likely take this electric model for a real fire. This electric fireplace covers up to 400-square feet, making it suitable for larger rooms.
- Dimplex brand has the most lifelike flames
- Innovative “Revillusion” flame technology
- Covers rooms up to 400-square feet
- Durable iron frame
- Realistic logs for authenticity
Touchstone 80004 – Sideline Electric Fireplace
The Touchstone Sideline 50 Recessed Electric Heater Fireplace is our top choice for this review’s best premium model. You get two heat settings with five realistic flame modes for an authentic fireplace look.
Choose to operate the fireplace in flame-only mode, and set the timer to your preferred settings for auto-shutoff. This modern model matches contemporary décor, making it a great choice for larger rooms in the home. You get 400-square feet of coverage, with remote control operation for added convenience.
This Touchstone electric fireplace comes with attractive faux logs and coals, providing an authentic look. The wall-mounted design fits flush to the wall, providing a clean finish for your lounge.
- Wall-mounted installation
- Two heat settings
- Realistic flames with five flame modes
- Multiple color displays
- Realistic colas and logs for authenticity
- Suitable for rooms up to 400-square feet
Xbeauty Electric Fireplace Stove
Homeowners looking for the most affordable fireplace in this review will love this Xbeauty electric fireplace. With this model, you get a traditional design with premium finishes. It’s a great choice for a traditional home or apartment and comes with impressive 500-foot coverage.
This Xbeauty electric fireplace features a thermostat control with variable heating modes. You get a flame dimmer control to adjust the flame size to your preferred setting. We like the glass door with classic design features, and the under-side heating vent heats the room in less than 10-minutes.
This model has impressive performance and great looks. However, it excels in its affordability. This model comes with a fantastic price tag that earns it the best budget deal in this review.
- Traditional design
- Thermostat control with variable heat settings
- Flame effect switch
- Flame dimmer control
- Two heat settings
- Suitable for rooms up to 500-square feet
R.W.FLAME Electric Fireplace Insert
This R.W.FLAME model is another great choice for a wall-mounted model. You get multi-operating modes, featuring four flame modes and five flame color modes. Dim the brightness to suit the ambiance of the room.
You get two heat settings, 750-Watts, and 1,500-Watts, to suit your climate conditions. We like the flush, wall-mounted design, making this model a great choice for modern homes with contemporary décor. You get a full-function remote control included with your fireplace and an 8-hour timer.
This fireplace relies on LED technology for efficient operation, with a classic design featuring modern finishes. The large dual glass doors provide a sense of authenticity to the fire, enhancing the burning logs’ realistic look.
- Attractive dual glass door design
- Stunning flames with five settings
- Multiple flame colors
- Two heat settings
- LED technology for efficient operation
- Classic design with modern finishes
- Suitable for rooms up to 500-square feet
- Remote control included
TURBRO in-Flames In-Wall Recessed Electric Fireplace
This TURBRO model is a great choice for a modern fireplace with a traditional look. This fireplace comes with a wall-mounted design and infra-red heating technology. The infra-red operation means this fireplace won’t dry the room’s air, keeping it at a comfortable relative humidity.
You get precision heating with variable settings and full remote control operation of the fireplace. This model comes with fast heating action, heating the room 5X faster than convection models. You get a timer for convenience and built-in safety features to prevent overheating.
The TURBRO wall-mounted fireplace comes with realistic logs and fire glass, different flame modes, and an authentic look. This model blends the best of traditional and contemporary design, making it a good all-round choice to suit any décor.
- Efficient infra-red heating technology
- Timer and remote control included
- Precision temperature control
- Heats faster than convection models
- Doesn’t dry out the air
- Suitable for heating rooms up to 500-square feet
Dimplex Electric Fireplace Deluxe Insert
As mentioned, Dimplex makes some of the most realistic electric fireplaces. This model is another excellent choice from the Dimplex range, designed to fit in your new fireplace. The durable steel frame of this fireplace protects the realistic fire log display.
You get the same outstanding flame technology you expect from all Dimplex electric fireplaces, with an authentic look for the flames and logs. This model offers easy installation, and it’s suitable for rooms up to 400-square feet.
The built-in forced fan heater system heats the room fast. This fireplace is expensive, but if you’re looking for an efficient, effective, and realistic model, go with Dimplex.
- Suitable for heating rooms up to 500-square feet
- Installs into your existing fireplace
- Realistic flames with patented LED inner glow logs
- Safe and efficient, with no emissions
- 3-modes including flame only
- Solid steel construction
Tangkula 30 Inches Recessed Electric Fireplace
This affordable wall-mounted model comes with many of the features of more expensive fireplaces. You get a fully digital interface, with 12 flame colors and 144-color combinations. Set any mood you like, and the flames dance of the fire crystals.
You get two heat settings, with realistic flames, and coverage for rooms up to 400-square feet in size. You get an 8-hour timer, with overheating protection for safety. This model comes with full remote control for convenient operation and a sleek design that looks great alongside modern décor.
We like the supplemental zone heating with this model and the range of colors. It’s not the best choice for traditional décor. However, the price tag makes it an affordable option for modern apartments and homes.
- Affordable digital heating technology
- Two heat settings with remote control
- Suitable for heating areas up to 400-square feet
- Energy-saving function
- Five flame speeds and an 8-hour timer
- 12 flame colors
HOMCOM Freestanding Electric Fireplace Heater
This HOMCOM freestanding electric fire is a fantastic value purchase. You get a traditional design with elegant finishes and a copper handle. This fireplace comes with a tremendous price tag, and we almost selected it for the best budget buy in this review.
You get your choice of three color designs for your fireplace, along with a vintage dual glass door design. The realistic fire logs and glass provides an authentic look to this model, with two heat settings for 750-watts and 1,500-watts. This electric fireplace suits use in rooms up to 323-square feet,
The HOMCOM electric fireplace features an overheating safety switch and a thermal cut-off switch if someone accidentally knocks it over while in use.
- Traditional design with elegant finishes
- Suitable for rooms up to 400-square feet
- Available in three colors
- Vintage glass door design
- Realistic log burning effect
- Two adjustable heat settings
- Thermal safety cut-off switch included
Other Best Selling Options
- Bring the outdoors in with the rustic look of the Ameriwood Home Farmington Electric Fireplace TV Console for TVs up to 50” wide or 55 lbs
- Made of laminated MDF and particleboard, the weathered medium brown finish adds a rustic appeal to your living room or entertainment space
- The 23” electric fireplace insert can be used with or without heat and plugs into a standard 120V outlet. Control the various flame and heat settings with the remote control or touch panel
- Open top shelf and 2 side cabinets with additional shelving provide plenty of storage for your video and audio components along with your DVD and game collection. Behind each door are an adjustable and fixed shelf to customize your storage space
- The TV Console ships flat to your door and 2 adults are recommended to assemble. The open shelf can hold up to 30 lbs. and each shelf behind the doors holds 15 lbs. Assembled dimensions: 29.125”H x 47.6875”W x 15.6875”D
- FIREPLACE HEATER WITH SHELF: This tall electric fireplace insert is built into a wooden mantle to give the feel of a real brick fireplace while a shelf under the mantle allows you to display collectibles or plants. The 1400W power provides zone heating for up to 323ft².
- DIMMABLE FLAME EFFECT: This electric fireplace shows realistic burning logs and flame effects to bring comfort to your room while staying warm. The flame effect can be operated with or without heat, and 3 dimming settings allow you to set the brightness of light.
- 2-WAY CONTROL: This freestanding fireplace heater can be adjusted by pressing the buttons on the front or with a remote control to turn it on/off, brightness and heat temperature from the comfort of your bed or couch without getting up.
- AUTO SHUT OFF: Overheat protection automatically shuts the electric heater off if the internal temperature gets too hot to prevent fire damage.
- FIREPLACE HEATER INFORMATION: Wooden Cabinet Dimensions: 31.75" W x 12.75" D x 31" H, Fireplace Insert Dimensions: 18" W x 5" D x 17.25" H, Power: 1400W
- Get a fireplace effect without all of the maintenance with the Ameriwood Home Lamont Mantel Fireplace
- Made of laminated MDF and particleboard, the white finish is accented by the dark gray marble effect around the electric fireplace insert
- The 3 tiered Fireplace features 2 bookcases with 3 shelves each on either side of the fireplace insert to display your book collection and memorabilia. The 26” fireplace insert features a realistic flame effect that can be used with or without heat. Use the remote control or touch panel to control the different flame settings and heat settings to keep your room at the right temperature. Insert heats a room up to 400 sq. ft. and plugs into a standard 120V outlet
- Complete your room with other items from Ameriwood Home (sold separately)
- The Mantel Fireplace ships flat to your door and 2 adults are recommended to assemble and move. Each shelf on the bookcases will hold up to 15 lbs. This Mantel Fireplace is not designed to support a TV. Once assembled, the Fireplace measures to be 44.7”H x 69.3”W x 12.6”D
Electric Fireplace Buyer’s Guide
An electric fireplace gives you all the benefits of a traditional fireplace without the mess and fuss. You flip a switch, and the flames come to life, spreading heat throughout the room. The next morning, there’s no ash to clean up, and no fire to build.
An electric fireplace is a superior choice to a traditional model. Most people love to stare at the flames dancing before their eyes – it’s of the many joys of owning a fireplace. However, modern electric models produce lifelike flames that look like the real thing.
If you want low-cost, hassle-free heating for your home this winter, why not go with an electric fireplace? Electric fireplaces offer you cost-effective heating for your home, with an attractive design that looks like a real fireplace.
Electric fireplaces are gaining popularity with homeowners across America. They offer efficient, effective heating of your lounge at an affordable cost. Electric fireplaces don’t make any mess, and there’s no ash to clean up the following morning.
You’ll save money of wood and get the same authenticity of a real log fire with an electric model. In this section, we’ll go over everything you need to know about choosing the best electric fireplace for your home or apartment.
What are the Benefits of Owning an Electric Fireplace?
- A fantastic choice for apartments that can’t have traditional fireplaces
- Some models fit into your existing fireplace
- An electric fireplace creates a centerpiece in your lounge or living space
- You have plenty of design options and styles available to suit any home décor
- Electric fireplaces are maintenance-free, producing no hot ash or smoke
- An electric fireplace is cheap to run and kind on the environment
- Electric heaters offer fast heating operation, heating rooms up to 400-square feet in minutes
- Electric fireplaces feature lifelike flames and fire logs for an authentic look
- You can move electric fireplaces between rooms in the home
- Some electric fireplaces feature flame-only mode to create ambiance on warm nights
What are the Types of Electric Fireplaces?
Electric fireplaces come in a range of designs and sizes. Let’s unpack the types of electric models that suit your home and living space.
Wall-Mounted Electric Fireplace
Wall-mounted fireplaces are becoming a popular option for modern homes with contemporary décor. Most models feature installation into a crevasse in the wall, forming a flush surface. You can expect the use of glass and metal trimming, with a sleek and streamlined look that’s like a large-screen TV.
Wall-mounted fireplaces require professional fitment and the right tools for the job. If you don’t have any handy experience, make sure you hire an electrician to do the wiring. Make sure you get a guarantee on any installation or wiring job.
Corner Electric Fireplaces
Corner models are a great choice for smaller rooms and apartments. These electric fireplaces sit comfortably in the corner, heating the room fast.
Most models feature a freestanding design with a compact size. They might not have the largest heating capacities, but they’re a suitable model for smaller rooms.
Fireplace TV Cabinet Stand and Mantels
Another popular option for electric fireplaces is the fireplace or mantel design. These models are similar to wall-mounted versions, with fireplaces built-into cabinets. You get a seamless design for your mantel or cabinet, and it’s a great option for modern homes with contemporary décor.
Some models feature entertainment centers included in the design, adding more functionality to your fireplace. Look for options with storage space and fitment options for TVs or other electronic equipment.
Logs and Inserts for Your Electric Fireplace
Today’s electric fireplaces come with realistic displays that you’ll confuse with a real fire at a glance. Look for models that feature fire logs and fire crystals, giving your fireplace an authentic look. When combined with flame effects, you’ll think it looks like the real thing.
Fireplace inserts are another less-common option. With an insert, you get a design that fits directly into your old fireplace without making any alterations. These inserts are easy to maintain and look fantastic.
What Is an Electric Stove?
An electric stove is like a fireplace but features a more traditional design. These models come as boxed, freestanding designs, and typically have swinging double doors on the front panel. Most models feature classic styling, giving them a rustic look that’s perfect for cabins and farmhouses.
Electric stoves are like electric fireplaces but tend to have more traditional styling. These models don’t produce any ash or smoke like the conventional models, offering you safe and efficient operation in your home.
What Do I Look for In an Electric Fireplace?
Finish and Styling
When selecting the perfect electric fireplace for your home, it’s important to consider the unit’s design and styling. If you live in a modern home with a contemporary design, you’re going to need a fireplace that matches that décor. Introducing a traditional-style design to a modern room will make it stand out like a sore thumb.
Modern styling can benefit from a digital, wall-mounted design with a flush finish. This electric fireplace provides a seamless and clean look to the styling of your room. Some people might even confuse these models for smart TVs when they are off.
If you live in a traditional home or a farmhouse, you can go with conventional freestanding designs. These electric fireplaces mimic the old fireplace stoves’ design, providing an authentic look to your room.
Choose the fireplace that meets your design requirements and your décor. There are options in this review to suit either.
Heating Capacity and Size
When selecting the best electric fireplaces, pay attention to the heating output. Look for a wattage rating to get an idea of the power of your electric fireplace. Most models come with two-stage heating. It’s common to find fireplaces with 750-watt and 1,500-watt modes.
Typically, a 1,500-wat electric fireplace is capable of heating rooms up to 400-square feet in size. That’s enough capacity to heat large lounges and bedrooms. Adjust the heat output to meet your room size and your heating requirements
What are the Features of the Best Electric Fireplaces?
When searching through our review for the best electric fireplaces for your home, you need to know what to look for in a prospective model. This section unpacks the features you need to look for and what kind of functionality to expect out of your new electric fireplace.
- Wall-Mounting or Freestanding – As mentioned, fireplaces come in wall-mounted and freestanding designs. Choose the model that suits the décor of your home and your lifestyle.
- Adjustable Thermostat – Look for an electric fireplace that features a thermostat or multiple heat settings. Most models come with dual heat settings, with power modes of 750-watts and 1,500-watts. An adjustable thermostat lets you select the correct temperature for the room to match your conditions. Most models feature switches for 750-watt or 1,500-watt modes.
- Flame Motion Control – Some models come with different flame modes, allowing you to control the fireplace’s output. Choose from glowing embers to raging flames. Electric fireplaces come with impressive flame functions that look like the real thing. Set the flame mode to suit the ambiance in the room and your lifestyle.
- Flame-Only Mode – A flame only mode is a useful setting for the summer. Create the illusion of a soothing and comfortable fireplace without the heat – it’s great for setting a romantic tone on date night.
- Brightness Adjustment – Your electric fireplace comes with a brightness control to simmer the flames. Some models come with different color options to allow you to create any theme you like.
- Timer – If you’re going to bed, and you want to leave the fireplace running, you don’t have to worry about it burning down the house while you’re asleep. Most electric fireplaces come with time functions, allowing automatic shutoff after up to 8-hours of use. The timer is a handy function to control and regulate your energy usage during the night.
- Remote control – Look for models that come with remote controls. The remote should offer you all the same functionality as the control panel on the fireplace. Some models come with a touchscreen interface on the fireplace, while others use switches or buttons.
- Glass Doors – Glass doors on your fireplace provide an authentic look and classy finish. Double glass doors are more common in traditional models, such as electric stoves and freestanding models.
What are the Safety Features of the Best Electric Fireplaces?
Anything that produces heat in your home is a fire hazard, and you need to treat it with respect. The safe operation of your fireplace ensures you never experience any dangerous accidents.
To keep you safe, manufacturers install safety features into electric fireplaces. Some of the common safety features to look for include the following.
- Cool-Touch Operation – Keep your fireplace safe, and avoid burns to people and pets. A cool-touch operation ensures there are no accidents around your fireplace this winter. Most electric fireplaces come with under-carriage heating, allowing the heat to spread from the floor level and circulate through the room. This design ensures the safest operation of the fireplace and cool-touch function.
- Overheating Protection – Manufactures install overheating circuitry in electric fireplaces to prevent accidents. If the fireplace gets over a certain temperature, this safety switch activates, shutting the fireplace down.
- Safety Ratings and Approvals – Ensure you’re buying a fireplace that meets international safety and quality standards. Look for models featuring UL, ETL, and CSA safety certifications.
Eco-Friendly and Efficient Operation
If you’re building a traditional fire, you need to forage for wood or buy it from the local gas station. It’s expensive to run fires all winter, and an electric model will save you money. Plus, an electric fireplace doesn’t produce any emissions, and there’s no mess to clean up the following morning.
Electricity is cheaper than wood and natural gas, giving you an efficient operation of your fireplace while reducing your home’s carbon footprint. Most models only cost a few cents per hour to run, and timers ensure efficient operation and electricity consumption.
Electric Fireplace FAQs
Is it cheaper to run a gas or electric fireplace?
According to research on the subject, it costs around three cents an hour to run an electric fireplace. Natural gas fireplaces cost around 17-cents an hour to run. Propane is slightly more efficient and cheaper, with average running costs around nine cents an hour.
Is it safe to leave the electric fireplace on when I go to bed?
If you’re wondering if your electric fireplace will burn down if you leave it on overnight, relax. Electric fireplaces come with safety circuits like thermal and overload switches. If your unit starts to overheat, the cut-off switch shuts it down automatically.
What kind of service life will I get from my electric fireplace?
Depending on the model you buy, you can expect your electric fireplace to come with a service life of up to 20-years. Make sure you look for a manufactures warranty when purchasing your fireplace. A warranty is a sign of a top-quality product you can trust.
Where do I buy my electric fireplace?
We recommend purchasing the a fireplace on Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer. When you sign up for a Prime account with Amazon, you get fast, free shipping of your fireplace, with buyer protection on your purchase. Amazon has the best range of electric fireplaces at the best prices, with hassle-free returns.
By now, you should have a good idea of the best electric fireplaces in this review. There’s a model to suit the décor of any home or apartment, with fireplaces at price points to suit any budget. However, we realize it’s challenging to settle on one model. With so many options, you might be feeling some confusion with your choice.
That’s okay. If you’re struggling with your decision, why not go with one of our top picks?
- The Dimplex Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace is a great choice. This model features an open design suitable for installation in your existing fireplace. Dimplex introduces “Revillusion” technology with this fireplace, producing the most lifelike electric fireplace you’ll ever see.
You get five different flame modes and two heat settings, with realistic fire logs for authenticity: this fireplace covers 400-square feet and suits both modern and traditional homes and apartments.
- The Touchstone 80004 – Sideline Electric Fireplace is a great choice for modern homes with contemporary design. The large 50-inch rectangular design looks sleek, with an impressive fire log and fire crystal display. Choose from two heat settings and five flame modes. This fireplace covers up to 400 square meters.
- Xbeauty Electric Fireplace Stove is our top choice for the best budget fireplace in this review. It comes with a traditional design, powerful two-stage heating, and flame dimming function. This model is an affordable electric fireplace, offering homeowners excellent value.