Winter is here, and the temperatures are plummeting below freezing overnight. After waking up in your warm bed, your mind starts to shudder with the thought of getting up to de-ice the driveway. The ice is going to be thick. Breaking it up is going to be too much of a mission for you to handle on a Saturday morning.
However, you need to do it sooner or later. You might live in a state where it’s your responsibility to clear the ice from your sidewalk. If you don’t do your civic duty as a responsible resident, someone could slip and fall on the bricks or slate. That’s a lawsuit waiting to happen, and it could end up costing you a fortune in medical bills and lost income for the victim of the slip-and-fall.
An ice scraper helps you keep your sidewalk in shape throughout the winter. After the ice forms, an ice scraper reduces the effort and time needed to clear your path. In this review, we’ll look at the best sidewalk ice scrapers available.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Driveway Ice Scraper Reviews
- 2.1 Flexrake 7A Spade with 36-Inch AlumiLite Handle – The Best Overall Sidewalk Ice Scraper
- 2.2 Ivation Snow Pusher Scoop – The Best Premium Sidewalk Ice Scraper
- 2.3 Multifun Shovel Kit, 3-in-1 – The Best Budget Sidewalk Ice Scraper
- 2.4 RHSC Sidewalk Ice Scraper Union
- 2.5 Bully Tools 92200 Heavy-Duty Sidewalk and Ice Scraper
- 2.6 True Temper 1625300 SnoBoss
- 2.7 Manplow Grab Bar
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Sidewalk Ice Scraper Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 Why Do I Need an Ice Scraper?
- 4.2 What are the Components and Features of an Ice Scraper?
- 4.3 The Scraper Blade
- 4.4 The Scraper Handle
- 4.5 The Scraper Head
- 4.6 Corrosion-Resistance and Service Life
- 4.7 Tips for Working with a Sidewalk Ice Scraper
- 4.8 Is there a Difference Between a Windshield Ice Scraper and a Sidewalk Ice Scraper?
- 5 Sidewalk Ice Scraper FAQs
- 6 Conclusion
If you don’t have the time to go through the entire review, you can rely on our top picks to make a purchase decision.
Best Pick: Flexrake 7A Spade with 36-Inch AlumiLite Handle
- Made in America from superior materials that last a lifetime
- Replacement part
- 36-Inch wood handles
- Molded non slip vinyl grips
- Pick up where your pet left off
This model features everything you need in a high-quality sidewalk scraper. It’s made in America from premium materials, and provides you with long service life, season after season. With a 36-inch wooden handle and ergonomic non-slip grips, this ice scraper is our top choice in this review.
Premium Pick: Ivation Snow Pusher Scoop
- SNOW REMOVAL DONE SMART | Manual Pusher Allows You to Quickly & Easily Push, Plow & Scoop Up Snow Without Heavy Lifting or Shoveling | Great for Clearing Driveways, Walkways, Sidewalks, Patios, Decks, Pavers, Stoops & More
- MAXIMUM SNOW PER PUSH | Oversized Scoop Allows You to Guide & Gather Large Amounts of Snow with Minimal Effort | Lightweight Yet Durable Design Features Wide Opening & Blade with Wear Strip for Long-Lasting Performance Scoop Measurements: L 25” W 23” H 9”
- HEAVY-DUTY UPRIGHT HANDLE | No More Painful Bending! An Ergonomic Comfort-Grip Handle Sits Up High So You Can Stand Up Straight & Push to Plow | Durable Aluminum Construction for Enhanced Stability & Superior Control
- SMOOTH SCOOPING ACTION | Let the Scoop Do the Hard Work! Body Glides Effortlessly Across Any Flat Surface Including Concrete & Asphalt| Exert Less Energy When Dealing with Wet Slush & Heavy, Dense, Compacted Snow
- NO LIFTING NECESSARY! | Traditional Shoveling is Hard on Your Heart & Stressful on Your Lower Back | Now, You Can Plow Away Without Breaking a Sweat | Manual Scoop Also Saves Money on Gas for Snow Blower, Truck Plow, Etc.
Push around snow like it’s your business with this heavy-duty sidewalk scraper and snow removal tool. You get a heavy-duty design with upright handles and a smooth scooping and ice-breaking action. There’s no lifting needed with this model, making fast work of clearing your sidewalk this winter.
Budget Pick: Multifun Shovel Kit, 3-in-1
- 【3-in-1 MULTI-FUNCTIONAL SNOW CLEARING KIT FOR CAR】1. ICE SCRAPER: Tough, non-scratch jaws break through the ice surface quickly, then the flat head gets underneath to scrape away the rest. 2. SNOW BRUSH: Remove thick ice and snow with this angle-switching rotary brush with thick bristles. 3. SNOW SHOVEL: Digging out your car from snow/mud situations - a perfect 3-in-1 snow emergency kit for winter.
- 【3 PIECE COLLAPSIBLE DESIGN, ULTRA COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO ASSEMBLE】The lightweigh snow clearing car kit breaks down into 3 pieces for easy storage in vehicle or garage. The shaft is made of heavy-duty aluminum, tough but lightweigh. Each component can be swapped easily with the interlocking design of this tool set. This is a great kit to have in your car, truck, in the backyard and during camping.
- 【ERGONOMICS DESIGN AND STRAIN-REDUCING】Comes with an ergonomic D-shaped handle and soft foam grip that works perfectly accommodating with gloved hands.
- 【DIMENSION】Snow blade: W x H: 10.7' x 12.6'. D-shaped handle: L: 12.6' . Shaft: L: 12.6' . Total length with snow blade: 44.5'.
- 【DURABLE & STURDY】The Handle of snow shovel made of High-quality aluminum alloy, excellent rust and deformation resistance. The push scoop of shovel made of durable and sturdy polyethylene, super pressure resistance and incredibly tough.
This 3-in-1 ice and snow clearing kit is an excellent choice for homeowners on a budget that want more diversity from an ice-scrapping tool. This kit comes with an ice scraper with non-scratch jaws, as well as a snow brush and snow shovel. This 3-in-1 set offers the best budget value in this review.
Driveway Ice Scraper Reviews
Flexrake 7A Spade with 36-Inch AlumiLite Handle – The Best Overall Sidewalk Ice Scraper
If you’re looking to make short work of your ice scraping duties, the Flexrake 7A Spade with 36-Inch AlumiLite Handle is your top choice, and it’s the winner of the best overall ice scraper in this review.
The Flexrake features an aluminum scraping head that’s flexible, allowing you to chop into and lift the most stubborn ice from your driveway and sidewalk. The 36-inch handle isn’t the longest in this review, but you have plenty of control with the non-slip vinyl grips.
The handle comes with brilliant fluorescent coloring, making it easy to spot against your yard’s white snow backdrop. Made in America with premium materials and workmanship, this ice scraper is
Made in America from superior materials that last a lifetime, this scraper also features a hanging hook at the end of the handle for easy storage.
- Non-slip vinyl grips
- Hanging loop
- Aluminum weather-resistant materials
- Spade replaceable
- The cutting blade could be a bit wider
Ivation Snow Pusher Scoop – The Best Premium Sidewalk Ice Scraper
If you have an estate with a long and wide driveway, this model is an excellent choice for scraping ice. The Ivation Snow Pusher scoop has everything you need in a convenient and user-friendly scraper. The high-volume performance and capacity of this scraper make it a top choice.
We like the pre-installed caster wheels in the rear of the pusher. They provide smooth movement and turning, even in tight corners. The plastic loader at the front features a tough polyethylene scraper rim that makes short work of the thickest ice.
The upright pushing position comes with three height positions up to 36.5-inches. The upright scraping position is easier on your back, and the ergonomic padded handles reduce operator fatigue in your hands.
Forget about traditional shoveling. The Ivation Snow Pusher Scoop makes clearing your driveway, deck, porch, patio, or sidewalk a breeze.
- Pre-installed wheels
- Good for scraping ice and clearing snow
- User-friendly operation
- Adjustable handle with two height options
- No more bending and lifting when clearing snow and scraping ice
- Premium Price
Multifun Shovel Kit, 3-in-1 – The Best Budget Sidewalk Ice Scraper
Homeowners looking for the best budget ice scraper need to consider the Multifun 3-in-1. This quick-assembly set features three interchangeable heads.
With this tool, you can swap between an ice/snow shovel, an ice scraper, and a rotary snow brush. It’s a good choice for homeowners that want a complete solution for the residence, covering your sidewalk, patio, veranda, and even your car windows.
The simple interlocking system comes on a 12.6-inch shaft. The shovel head features a deep snow cavity for heavy snow loads, and it’s a good choice for clearing out smaller driveways in cluster homes. The collapsible design makes it highly portable, and you’ll have no trouble stowing this tool away in your car.
- 3-in-1 functionality with a shovel, scraper, and brush
- Ergonomic handle design
- Oversized ice scraper blade
- Simple inter-locking system
- Great value for money
- The scraper blade is a bit narrow
RHSC Sidewalk Ice Scraper UnionThis scraper features a welded scraping blade with tempered steel construction for outstanding performance and durability. The North American hardwood handle feels good between your hands, offering plenty of control over the tool while working.
This tool makes short work of thick ice on your driveways and walkways around the house. Use it to clear ice from sidewalks, with plenty of leverage in the 48-inch handle. This scraper is a good choice for homeowners in the northern states that need the best equipment.
- Tempered steel blade for durability
- Good multi-tool use
- 48-inch handle length
- The wooden handle may snap
Bully Tools 92200 Heavy-Duty Sidewalk and Ice ScraperThe Bully Tools Heavy Duty Sidewalk Ice Scraper is a fantastic tool for scraping away the thickest ice on your driveways and walkways. This model features solid steel construction with a steel handle.
This scraper features design and manufacture in the USA, with 11- gauge steel and a weatherproof powder coating. This tool is a good choice for professional contractors looking for the most affordable and effective ice scraper. The only complaint we have is that it gives a lot of feedback through the steel handle.
- Made in the USA
- 11-gauge steel scraping blade
- All-steel construction
- Weatherproof and long-lasting
- Limited lifetime warranty
- A good choice for contractors
True Temper 1625300 SnoBossThis model is a good premium choice for medium to large yards. The attractive yellow scoop features a hard polyethylene scraper on the front.
The curved ergonomic design of the frame is useful for reducing operator fatigue in your arms and back. The size of this scoop makes it an excellent choice for easy manual removal of snow and ice from around the yard, driveway, and sidewalk.
The 26-inch blade width offers excellent coverage, and you get a footstep for digging, as well as multiple leverage points around the shovel, scraper. The grips are reversible for use when clearing stairs.
- 26-inch scraping blade suitable for driveways and sidewalks
- Ergonomic frame design for user-friendly operation
- Multiple grips
- Reversible action for stairs and tight corners
- Footstep for optimal leverage
- Premium Price
Manplow Grab BarThe Manplow grab baris a heavy-duty solution. Featuring 24″, 32″ or 42″ scraping blades. It’s the highest-capacity scraper in this review and a good choice for estates and commercial buildings.
All equipment includes the predrilled “Grab Bar” mounting holes, but you have to buy the grab bar separately, increasing the costs. This model is a good choice for contractors looking to clear large volumes of snow and ice quickly.
- Compatible with 24″, 32″, or 42″ scraping blades
- Grab bar for superior control
- Mounting hardware included
- Made in America
- Snow pushers and grab bar sold separately
- Challenging to manage
Other Best Selling Options
- SHOCK ABSORBING: Spring-loaded handle reduces strain
- DURABLE: Heavy-duty Steel shaft with poly handle
- LARGE BLADE: 7-inch wide x 5. 5-inch high
- LONG HANDLE: 39. 7-inch steel shaft
- 100% Made in the USA
- Commercial grade
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Extra thick 11 gauge steel blade
- All steel construction
- 100% Made in the USA
- Commercial grade
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Extra thick 11 gauge steel blade
- All steel construction
- 【COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT】: Each component can be swapped easily with the interlocking design of this tool set. This is a great kit to have in your car, truck, in the backyard and during camping.
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】: Ergonomic handle is tougher. It won’t crack and will provide you comfort all winter.
- 【DIMENSIONS】: The telescopic aluminum poles are extendable, durable yet longer for convenience usage. Snow blade: W x H: 6.5" x 13'. D-shaped handle: L: 8.9”. Shaft: L: 15.7"-27.5" .
- 【4-in-1 MULTIFUNCTIONAL】: 1. Ice Scraper: Tough, non-scratch jaws break through the ice surface quickly. 2. Snow Brush: Remove thick ice and snow with this angle-switching rotary brush with thick bristles. 3. Snow Shovel: Digging out your car from snow/mud situations. 4.Squeegee: a squeegee on opposite the brush help you remove thick snow.
- 【DURABLE SNOW & ICE TOOL】: The aluminum poles and structurally reinforced ABS attachments resist low temperatures of -40 ℉ and are durable enough to deal with thick ice and deep snow.
- Snow removal brush head: ABS high-strength plastic, PVC brush wire is resistant to low temperature and is not easy to break
- Snow removal shovel head: ABS high-strength plastic casting, hard and firm
- Handle design: EVA foam, soft and elastic, anti-aging, anti-cracking in winter, no ice
- Shovel and sweep combination, convenient and more practical.
- Material: ABS; snow brush for car snow brush snow brush and ice scraper snow brush for suv snow brush for trucks snow brush car ice scraper ice scraper for car ice scraper heated ice scraper with mitt ice scraper mitten ice scraper mitt ice scraper glove ice scraper with glove ice scraper and snow brush ice scraper driveway ice scraper brush ice scraper brass ice scraper for driveway ice scraper squeegee ice scraper snow brush ice scraper with squeegee snow brush ice
Sidewalk Ice Scraper Buyer’s Guide
In this section, we’ll look at the reasons why you need a sidewalk ice scraper. We’ll also talk about what to look for in your ideal model, and what components provide the best overall scraping experience. Make sure you check out our best sidewalk ice scraper FAQ for more information.
Why Do I Need an Ice Scraper?
If you live anywhere in the United States where it snows, or the mercury drops below zero, you need an ice-scraper. In the Northern states where sub-zero temperatures frequently occur in the wintertime, an ice scraper is an indispensable tool.
An ice scraper looks like a shovel, but with a smaller, shorter head. The smaller head gives you greater control of the force going into the head of the tool. As a result, you get an ice-scraper that can remove the most stubborn ice on your sidewalk or driveway.
Walking out to your car in the morning, only to slip on icy buildup, is a pain. Keep your ice scraper around and makes sure no-one has any nasty slips on the way out of the house.
What are the Components and Features of an Ice Scraper?
Ice scrapers come in many different models, but they all feature the same design. You get a long handle, up to 48-inches in length, with a sharp, short, and stubby blade attached to the end. The blade comes in a variety of materials, typically aluminum or steel, and connects into the steel, wooden, or plastic handle.
Which one works for you is a matter of trial and error. However, here are the differences and how they affect the handling and use of each ice scraper.
The Scraper Blade
The scraper blade of the tool can feature construction with either metal or plastic. We recommend looking for a model that has either aluminum or steelhead.
Aluminum is lighter, and its more flexible, allowing you to get under the ice and rip it from the sidewalk. However, the aluminum heads tend to wear faster than solid 11-gauge steel.
Solid steel is a good choice, but regular use of the tool will dull the head, requiring sharpening. It’s easy to sharpen the tool in a workshop at home, provided you have a grinder or grinding wheel.
However, if you don’t have a means of sharpening it, the blade can dull over a few seasons, resulting in plenty of frustration when trying to scrape your driveway or sidewalk.
Aluminum models tend to have replaceable heads that fix into a plastic or wooden handle. They are the better choice, but they can be slightly more expensive than the full-steel models.
The Scraper Handle
The handle is another critical component of the tool. The handle is how you control the scraper. You need a handle that’s flexible and durable, with an ergonomic finish that feels light in your hands.
We like a handle that comes with a Hi-Viz fluorescent finish. The bring yellow handle makes it easy to spot the tool if it falls over onto the floor in the yard.
Look for models that offer textured grips in the handle. This feature allows for better control over the tool when wearing gloves. The textured handle also helps to prevent slips and accidents with the scraper.
Your scraper will come in a variety of handle lengths., we don’t recommend going for anything less than a 30-inch handle for scraping the sidewalks. Some models come in lengths of up to 42-inches, allowing you superior control over the scraper when in use.
Some scrapers offer telescopic handles, allowing you to customize the length and height of the scraper to your dimensions. Look for scrapers that can fold away and act as emergency tools. Some scrapers are like small spades that have multi-tool use as cook pans, car jacks, and much more.
The Scraper Head
The head and neck of the scraper attach to the shaft or handle. The scraper head may not be made of the same material as the scraper blade.
For example, some snow shovels may feature a lightweight plastic head, with an aluminum cutting strip at the bottom. We recommend looking for steel or aluminum models that look sturdy and offer the best service life.
Corrosion-Resistance and Service Life
The materials in your scraper will determine its service life and corrosion resistance. Plastic and aluminum parts have excellent corrosion resistance, and you should never encounter any issue s with these tools.
Most streel tools come with a durable powder coating to protect the steel against the weather. However, we find that after a season or two of use, the surface may chip. As a result, rust may start to form on the top of the blade and the handle.
Your ice scraper can last for years if you look after it. At the end of the season, clean it down and pack it away until the next seasonal snowfalls the following year.
Tips for Working with a Sidewalk Ice Scraper
Ice scrapers are different from your standard shovel. An ice scraper features a narrow blade on the front of the head of the tool.
This tool looks more like a masonry trowel with a longer head. The tool’s idea is to use it to crack and break up the ice around your sidewalk and driveway. However, some ice may stick to the tarmac, tiles, or bricks, making it difficult to remove.
An ice scraper helps you overcome this issue, giving you the leverage necessary to rip off the ice and clear your driveway or sidewalk.
When using your ice scraper, always make sure you’re wearing gloves. The gloves protect your hands from the cold and prevent you from getting blisters while using the tool.
When you start feeling tired – stop. Persisting with the task could end up causing an accident.
If the scraper doesn’t work, or there’s lots of ice, use a loosening formula. Fill up some steaming hot water into a bucket and add some ingredients like dish soap to the mix. Pour it on the ice, and watch it start to crack and melt away, making it easy for you to lift and scrape.
After finishing with your scraper, clean the blade and handle it by giving it a light wipe with a cloth. Store the scraper in your garage out of the way.
If you have a hardwood model ice scraper, make sure to oil the handle with some linseed oil at the end of the season. This helps to nourish the wood and prevent splitting.
Is there a Difference Between a Windshield Ice Scraper and a Sidewalk Ice Scraper?
Yes, there is a significant difference between your sidewalk ice scraper and one that you use for the windshield of your car. A sidewalk scraper features a wider scraping blade. The blade is often steel or aluminum because you can’t damage the driveway or the sidewalk.
However, car scraper comes with rubber or plastic scrapping edges to prevent scratching of the windshield glass. Never use a sidewalk scraper to scrape your windshield clean. When scraping your sidewalk, you could cause dents and dings that cause small rises in the edge of the scraper. As a result, you’ll scratch your windshield when trying to scrape it clean. Keep your sidewalk scraper for its duty-specific action, and get a separate scraper for your car windshield.
Sidewalk Ice Scraper FAQs
Should I salt my sidewalk?
Yes, salting your sidewalk is a great idea. However, you can’t throw salt on the snow and ice and expect it to magically dissolve.
You’ll need to clear and scrape your driveway and sidewalk before you start salting. It’s also important to note that salt doesn’t work if temperatures drop below 15 degrees. In extremely low temperatures, you’ll need a synthetic snow-melting product.
What’s the best way to clear ice on a frozen driveway?
Grab a bucket and add a half-gallon of hot water with a few drops of dish soap, and a 1/3-cup of rubbing alcohol. Apply to the driveway or sidewalk, and you’ll notice the ice start to bubble-up and crack. Scrape the remainder away easily with your scraping tool.
Is it your responsibility to clear your sidewalk of snow and ice?
In most states and cities where the wintertime brings snowfall, the city requires homeowners and property managers to clear their sidewalks of ice.
It’s your civic duty, and negligence to upkeep your property may result in a slip-and-fall accident. The victim of the event could end up suing you for negligence.
What’s the best tool for breaking the ice on my driveway?
In most cases, you can do the job of breaking up and scraping ice on your drive with an ordinary spade. However, shovels aren’t the ideal tool, and a scraper gives you more control and power in the task.
Shovels don’t have the design for the task, and the edge of the lip will eventually wear away over a season or two. A specialized tool helps you crack through the ice, season-after-season.
If you’re going to scrape your driveway and sidewalk, we recommend you do it with one of our top choices in this review. If you’re still on the fence with your buying decision, you can rely on our top picks to suit your application.
The Best Overall Sidewalk Ice Scraper – Flexrake 7A Spade with 36-Inch with AlumiLite Handle
A solid choice with flexion in the blade, replaceable heads, fluorescent-colored handle, and lightweight use.
The Best Premium Sidewalk Ice Scraper – Ivation Snow Pusher and Scoop
A good choice for homeowners with large driveways and paths around the home. It comes with multi-functionality for scraping and pushing snow anywhere around the yard. However, it’s a bit on the pricey side.
The Best Budget Sidewalk Ice Scraper – Multifun 3-in-1 Shovel Kit
For homeowners looking for the best budget buy in this review, you can’t beat this 3-in-1 model. With a shovel, scraper, and brush all in one interchangeable system, you have everything you need to see it through the winter.