A chicken coop is one of the best investments you can make in your home preparedness and sustainable living. With a chicken coop, you get a steady supply of fresh, free-range eggs and loads of fertilizer for the veggie garden.
Building a chicken coop by yourself from scratch is an advanced DIY project. If you don’t have any handy or carpentry skills, you’re asking for a disaster. Fortunately, there are prefabricated chicken coops that are easy to put together, providing your chickens with a comfortable and secure living quarter.
In this review, we’ll look at the best chicken coops for your yard.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Chicken Coop Reviews
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Chicken Coop Buyer’s Guide
- 5 What Do I Look for In the Best Chicken Coop?
- 6 Chicken Coop FAQs
- 7 Chicken Coops – The Verdict
Chicken coops are a popular product online. With uncertainty around food supply chains growing with each passing month in 2020, chicken coops are in high demand.
We searched online to find the best chicken coops available. We found eight models offering you the best option for a prefabricated chicken coop for your birds.
We selected these three as the best chicken coop options from our top eight models. We have options for the best overall, premium, and budget model to suit your wallet and your needs.
Best Pick: Ogrmar Chicken Coop
- 【Raised Perches & Comfortable for Poultry】The raised perch keeps your poultry safe, dry and warm, especially in the rainy cold days. It's also handy in the heat as they are shielded from the sun and can easily access their nesting boxes without exposure to the harsh light.
- 【Spacious Space & User-friendly Design】58" chicken coop comes with nesting box, resting box and ramp. Your poultry can lay their eggs in the nesting box. There is sliding door and ramp allows poultry to easily enter the raised housing area. There are timber ridges above the ramp to protects your poultry from slipping back. With the design of gridding door you can watch your pets without disturbing.
- 【Removable tray & Gridding Fences】There is removable bottom sliding tray for easy cleaning. High quality gridding fences provide a healthy poultry lifestyle. With the pitched roof your poultry can run outside even in rainy days. The fences are vital to the ventilation of poultry, they will also protect your poultry from the outside predators.
- 【Shipping & Customer Service】UPS or USPS will deliver the item to your house in 3-6 business days after you placed an order. We packed item as good as we can, if there is any damaged part, please contact us first and offer us pictures of damaged part, we will solve the problem as the way you want(discount or replacement).
- 【Sturdy Construction & Weatherproof】Constructed by premium natural fir wood and painted with eco-friendly waterproof non-toxic varnish. The original wood is firm and natural for your beloved pet. Thanks to the eco-friendly paint, the cage is waterproof, anti-corrosion and also UV-resistant, which offers long-lasting lifespan to provide a warm house for pet all the time.
This 58-inch chicken coop comes with a spacious design to accommodate your flock. You get a resting box, nesting box, and ramp included with this model, and a sliding door for easy entrance and exit up the ramp. The raised edges on the ramp give the chickens traction as they enter the raised nesting house. You get a removable bottom tray offering easy cleaning of the nesting area. There’s high-quality fence gridding for security from predators that enter your yard, and this chicken coop features design and construction with treated hardwood for a weather-proof finish. You get a covered run to let your chickens get some exercise in rainy conditions.
Premium Pick: Zoovilla Country Style Chicken Coop
- This house cage comes with two large nesting boxes and four lockable doors (2 for the run & 2 for the coop)
- This spacious chicken house can comfortably hold upto 6 hens
- The chicken cage provides a safe and secure pet cage to raise chickens, it has lockable hinged nesting box roofs for easy access
- The patio hutch and run are two separate elements and have a removable tray for improved cleaning
- The house chicken coop is made of Canadian Hemlock with an Oil-Based Stain in White &Grey. Black asphalt Roof panels
Homeowners looking for a stylish chicken coop will love this Zoovilla model. The classic country design of the coop features two large nesting boxes and four locking doors. You can fit up to six hens in this coop, with a safe and secure design. The nesting box features locking doors, with a run enclosure under the nesting boxes. You get a removable tray for easy cleaning and a country-style design that looks fantastic in any yard. This model features design and construction with Canadian Hemlock and an oil-based stain in white and grey colors for an attractive finish.
Budget Pick: SlowTon Chicken Playpen
- Close to Nature Design --- SlowTon animal playpen is large enough for accommodating multiple small animals to play freely inside, also it can set on the ground directly, which provides a secure place for small pets to enjoy grass, natural sunlight, and fresh air, but avoid sky predators when using outdoor.
- Breathable & Transparent --- The chicken run coop is surrounded by transparent nets, which pets could be watched at all times and can be seen clearly. The breathable mesh fabric of playpen protects them from eagles and ensures the ventilation of the animal playpen, as well as eliminates odors. It is a comfortable and safe place where pets stay to plays.
- 4 Opening Design --- The pet playpen is with 4 zipper doors, two on the top and two on the side. It is convenience for entry and exit of animals, as well as supplement food and water supplement. The tent will pop up itself after released out from bag, and can be fixed on grassland by 8 attached ground nails when use outdoor.
- Lightweight & Portable --- The small animal tent is easy to be folded into a round shape with diameter of 14 inches. Weighted only 900g/31oz, it can be put into a bag for convenient carry and storage. Perfect for travel, camping, picnic, or a day at the beach.
- Widely Application --- The small animal playpen is ideal for dogs, cats, isolating an injured pet, or introducing a new pet. Suitable for raising chickens, ducks, rabbits and other small animals. Your pet will have plenty of room for playing and keeping active while staying safe within the boundaries of this pet playpen.
Homeowners looking to start a chicken coop on a budget will get value from the SlowTon model. You get a collapsible, folding design for lightweight, compact transport and storage. The enclosure features four zipper doors for easy access and a mesh design for airflow and easy viewing of your birds. This model comes with an affordable price tag, and it’s suitable for use in all weather conditions. This model is a great choice for a portable coop, and you can move around the yard. It comes with eight ground nails to stake the enclosure to the ground in high-wind conditions.
Chicken Coop Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top chicken coop models in this review let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also go through a few other options for the best chicken coop.
Stick around after the reviews and read through our buyer’s guide. We’ll give you some tips and tricks for choosing and setting up your new chicken coop.
Ogrmar Covered Run Chicken Coop
This chicken coop from Ogrmar features a classic design. When we close our eyes and imagine a chicken coop, it comes out looking pretty much like this model. You get a classic hardwood timber finish, providing a strong and sturdy structure.
The resting coop features construction with predator-resistant wire mesh to keep your chickens secure. The nesting box houses up to six hens, with an Asphalt roof and a large viewing window.
You get a ramp with traction and bars leading to the nesting house and easy access through doors to the resting area, nesting box, and the run.
This model is a great choice for your chicken coop and the winner of this review’s best overall model. We like the removable nesting box tray for easy cleaning, and the covered design for the run and resting area keep your chickens dry in rainy weather.
- Classic hardwood design
- Traction and bars on nesting house ramp
- Covered resting area
- Spacious nesting box
- Durable wire design
- Houses six hens
- Removable cleaning tray
Zoovilla Country Style Chicken Coop
Homeowners looking for a stylish chicken coop will love this Zoovilla model. You get a design featuring construction with Canadian Hemlock hardwood and an oil-based stain finish. The earthy tones of the wood combine we’ll with the white panels, providing an attractive aesthetic for the yard.
This chicken coop features four looking doors for the nesting house and resting area under the nesting box. You get a secure chicken wire around the bottom resting area, preventing predators from getting at your birds.
This model includes a removable nesting tray for easy cleaning, and you get a black asphalt roof for longevity and security. We’re kind of disappointed that this model doesn’t include a nesting box ramp. However, you get a compact and functional henhouse that looks great in the yard.
- Locking doors for resting area and nesting box
- Classic farmhouse design
- Chicken wire for security against predator
- Houses up to six hens
- Canadian Hemlock with an oil-based stain
SlowTon Chicken Playpen
This portable chicken coop is a great choice for the yard. It features a collapsing design that’s easy to set up and takedown in minutes. This model is portable, allowing you to take it on the road or set it up easily in different places around the yard.
You get eight ground nails included with your purchase to secure the coop in high-wind conditions. The mesh design allows for high airflow rates through the enclosure, keeping your birds happy and healthy. This model is the better choice for a run, and you’ll need to build a nesting box for this model.
You get access to the coop through one of the four mesh zipper doors, with door positions to let the chickens enter the enclosure as they please.
This model is a fantastic choice for homeowners that require a temporary coop solution while waiting for a permanent fixture. It’s also a great way to contain your chickens during the daylight hours, preventing them from destroying your yard.
- Collapsible, portable design
- Eight ground mails included
- Mesh design for high airflow
- Holds up to eight chickens
- Four zipper doors
Tenflyer Large Chicken Coop
This Tenflyer model is another excellent option for your chicken coop. It features the same design and setup as the Ogrmar model that wins the best overall model in this review. This coop features a hardwood lumber design, with durable chicken wire around the resting area for security from predators.
This model includes a covered resting area and run, with a ramp to the nesting house. The ramp comes with traction bars to help the chickens hop into the coop without any slips. The nesting box’s raised design keeps your chickens off the cold ground, and you get a removable tray for easy cleaning.
This chicken coop features three access doors to the enclosure from the outside. It also features an entrance to the nesting box on the interior of the structure. The doors come with locking sliders for additional security, and you get construction with natural fir hardwood for a durable and long-lasting coop.
- Classic hardwood finish
- Traction bars on the ramp
- Covered run and resting area
- Spacious nesting box
- Durable chicken wire for predator protection
- Houses up to six hens
- Removable cleaning tray
Homestead Chicken Coop
The Homestead chicken coop is a fantastic choice for the yard. We like the wood’s light tone on this model, featuring design and construction with solid wood. This model features 48″ x 24.4″ x 36.6″ dimensions, giving your chickens plenty of room and enough space for four hens.
You get a large access door to the resting area and run, as well as a locking door and viewing window on the nesting box. This coop comes with an asphalt roof for optimal weather protection and fading resistance.
The Homestead chicken coop comes with a removable tray under the nesting box for easy cleaning. This model also includes a ramp with traction bars leading from the resting area to the nesting box. The doors have secure latches, and the resting area and nesting box feature design with durable chicken wire for the best predator protection.
- Nesting house window
- Solid wood design
- Heavy-duty latches
- Houses up to four hens
- Asphalt roof
- Covered resting area
Advantek Stilt House Chicken Coop
This model almost won our review for the best premium chicken coop. You get an attractive design featuring oil-stained hardwood for an eye-pleasing aesthetic in your yard. This model features 25″ x 48″ x 36″ dimensions, with enough space for four hens in the nesting box.
This coop features design and construction with insect-resistant lumber, featuring a specialized coating that sends away pests while protecting the wood from UV damage. The Cypress fir used in constructing this coop features GoneGreen certification, making it a sustainable choice for your yard.
The large access doors feature locks for additional security, and there’s a ramp leading from the run and resting area to the nesting box. This enclosure features a design with chicken wire for a predator-resistant coop.
- Attractive design and materials
- Silted nesting box
- Asphalt roof
- Pull-out tray for easy cleaning
- Insect-resistant lumber design
- Houses up to four hens
Ogrmar Uncovered Run Chicken Coop
This Ogrmar chicken coop is a larger version of the model that wins our choice for the best overall enclosure in this review. However, with this model, you get an open-design for the run and resting area, with a lid that folds open.
The structure features the same heavy-duty chicken wire for protection, but there’s no roof to keep the rain out of the resting area. Therefore, we recommend this coop for covered areas in the yard or dry climates where you don’t get much rain.
This model features a larger nesting box, suitable for housing up to eight hens. You get the same removable nesting tray for easy cleaning and three access doors to the run, resting area, and the nesting house. There’s a ramp to the nesting box, with traction bars included, and the roof of the run comes with a locking clasp.
- Raised perches and elevated nesting box
- Traction bar for nesting house ramp
- Large design houses up to 8 hens
- Removable cleaning tray
- UV resistant long-lasting timber design
- High-quality chicken wire for security
GABraden Portable Chicken Run
This chicken coop is another example of a great temporary structure. You get a collapsing design, offering easy setup and breakdown. Secure it to your yard using the eight ground pegs included with your purchase for a sturdy coop that won’t blow away in high winds.
This model comes with plenty of space, measuring 73″ x 30″. You can use this as a temporary daytime playpen for your chickens and move it around the yard to fertilize your lawn. This model comes with a mesh design for high airflow to your birds and four zipper doors for easy access.
The open-bottom design of the coop allows your birds to forage, keeping them entertained. This coop is the ideal choice for smaller yards where you need to contain the birds during the day.
- Portable with collapsing design
- Mesh design with high airflow
- Comes with ground stakes
- Four zipper openings
- Easy installation
- Easy access height
Other Best Selling Options
- 【Durable & Weatherproof】Solid rain-resistant fir wood with Environmental painted keep the Poultry Hutch waterproof and not afraid of sun anymore. Green asphalt sloping roof to protect from water penetration.
- 【Easy Access Ramp 】Sliding door and ramp allows poultry to enter the raised housing area. There are timber ridges above the ramp to protects your poultry from slipping back. Your poultry can lay their eggs in the nesting box.
- 【Removable tray & Wire Enclosure】Comes with a removable bottom sliding tray for easy cleaning. Heavy duty galvanized wire fencing not only vital to the ventilation of poultry, it will also protect your animals from outside predators.
- 【Spacious Space】Main poultry house is elevated for preventing damage from wet conditions. This attaches to a wide open fenced enclosure that allows them plenty of room to move around. Overall Chicken Coop Dimensions: 80.7"L x 26"W x 44.5"H, Holds up to 2-4 chickens.
- 【Customer Service & Guarantee】With our clear manual, it's easy to assemble. If there is any questions please feel free to contact with us, our wonderful customer service team will response in 24 hours. If there is any part missing or damaged during shipping, please contact us first and offer us pictures of damaged part, we will solve the problem as the way you want (replacement at no charge or discount).
- 🐣【Large Area For Animals】This metal chicken coop provides huge area for small and medium size animals, they will have sufficient room to play and rest. These chicken coops, are not only for chickens, our high quality large metal cage are also perfect for rabbits, dogs, and other poultries.
- 🐔【Firm Frame Made by Thick Metal】Our heavy duty metal coop is made of high quality steel. Poles of our product are 20% thicker than most other coops out there. A large metal coop for long-term use, this is the point we keep in mind all the time when we produce this product. The stainless steel coated with chemical ensures the corrosion resistance of the cage.
- 🐥【Waterproof Cover and Coated Hexagonal Wire Mesh】The canopy is made of 240D Oxford Cloth, which repels water effectively. Besides, the steel wire mesh makes sure chickens will not escape from the coop while keeping the ventilation to the greatest extend. One of the most important goals is to make sure animals live in a healthy habitat.
- 🐓【Easy Installation】Our large chicken coop is easy to install. A straight forward and professional instruction can save customers tons of time to install the metal coop. We not only provide nice instruction, but also did lots of improvement on pole connections. The install video is also been provided.
- 🦆【Buy with Confidence】We have been working on metal cage area for more than 10 years, we have professional agent service for our value customer 7/24. If you have any questions about our product, please leave us a message through Amazon, our pros will respond within 12 hours with a perfect solution. Customers’ satisfaction is our only goal for long term.
- COMFORTABLE LIVING SPACE: This multi-level coop has ramp access to the second level and a run to hold between 3-5 chickens, depending on size and breed
- SECURE HOUSING: Galvanized wire walls and a series of locks on each access point keep your household animals safe inside, and the predators out
- DURABLE MATERIALS: Made of 100% natural fir wood and galvanized wire mesh for a sturdy construction that will last in all weather conditions
- EASY TO CLEAN: Comes with a removable bottom sliding tray for easy cleaning, and a metal wire fencing for ventilation. Easily reach all areas of the coop with 3 access areas
- LARGE NESTING BOX: This deluxe chicken coop comes with a built-in nesting box and removable divider. Keep nesting box open or closed with a lid cover; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 79.25"(L) x 26.5"(W) x 51.5"(H); Nesting Box Weight Capacity: 20lbs.; Slide-Out Tray Weight Capacity: 44lbs.; Ships and arrives in 2 separate boxes. Delivery times may vary per box.
- Approximate Dimensions incl nest box: 8 ft 2" (W) x 2 ft 5" (D) x 3 ft 3" (H)
- Galvanized metal pull-out tray for very easy cleaning. Suitable for 4 to 6 birds depending on size.
- Made from animal friendly treated timber, designed to last for years. Totally fox proof.
- Comes flat packed,supplied in two boxes. Requires assembly, clear instructions.
- Roof Opens giving access to all part of Coop. Roof made of Asphalt roof.
- 🐣【MULTI LEVELS】Overall size: 79.9" L x 26.5" W x 51.8" H ,Chicken house include large nesting box,resting and outdoor run area, provide a large space for your chicken,ducks,rabbit and other small animals.A ramp connect with running and sleeping area.
- 🐣【MOVABLE WHEELS】Upgrade design with metal wheels and long handle makes the poultry cage movable easily in different places.
- 🐣【PREDATOR-RESISTANT】 chicken run made of metal wire with predator-resistant spring latch keeps your Chicken flock secure. A sliding door in sleeping area keep the chicken safe at night.3 big doors easy for daily activity.
- 🐣【PULL OUT TRAY & PERCH】Chicken cage Includes a Pull out tray for easy cleaning , 2 round edge perches above the tray for chickens to roost and protect sensitive feet better.
- 🐣【WEATHER RESISTANT】100% Natural wood, waterproof full coverage asphalt roof provide a dry and comfortable space for your pets at rainy Day. Coated with water-based paint.
Chicken Coop Buyer’s Guide
Whether you enjoy your eggs sunny-side up or scrambled, having a chicken coop can save you hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill throughout the year. Eggs are also a valuable source of protein and healthy fats, making them a sought-after food item across the United States.
With the threat of food shortages on the horizon in 2021, owning a chicken coop helps you improve your food security. Having a steady supply of fresh eggs also gives you something to trade with other people who are growing other food items.
Fresh, free-range eggs are so much better for your health than factory-farmed eggs. You get control over the chicken’s diet, feeding them a healthy diet and allowing them to get daily exercise. The result is the best tasting egg you’ll ever eat, with a rich, creamy texture that you don’t get in factory-farmed eggs.
After reading through the reviews, you probably have a few models in mind for your yard. In this section, we’ll help you settle on the right chicken coop for your birds.
There are plenty of benefits to owning a chicken coop. A sturdy structure protects your chickens from bad weather, predators, and diseases. It provides the eggs and birds with security while giving you an organized system for raising your birds.
What are the Characteristics of a Good Chicken Coop?
A good chicken coop provides a safe space for your birds, giving them everything they need to thrive and boost egg production. The basic features of a chicken coup include the following.
- A robust, durable frame
- Doors with secure latches
- Roosting bars for perches
- Covered windows, resting areas, and runs to keep out predators
- Large nesting boxes with space for pine shavings and straw
- Easy access to the nesting box and easy cleaning
Your chicken coop needs these features as a bare minimum. Some models come with additional features that improve your chicken’s housing and egg-laying productivity.
Where Do I Position My Chicken Coop?
Your chicken coop needs to be as far away from the house as possible. Some states have specific laws about the required distance of the enclosure from your residence. Some states or counties may have minimum distances varying between 10-feet to 150-feet.
You’ll need to think about your neighbors when placing your coop in the yard. Putting it too close to boundary walls may disturb the peace and quiet of your neighbor’s yard.
The bottom of your chicken coop needs complete exposure to the ground, giving your chickens access to an area to dig around for grubs. The chickens will destroy the turf and soil in this area and defecate everywhere.
You’ll need to move the coop to different positions around the yard every three to six months, depending on the mess they make. Fortunately, chicken manure is a fantastic fertilizer for your lawn and flowerbeds, giving you an organic source of nutrition for your plants and vegetable garden.
However, it’s important to note that if you live in an area where wolves and foxes are abundant, you’ll need to build a concrete base on the chicken coop to keep these predators away from your birds.
Chickens are vulnerable to environmental hazards and bad weather. They don’t like being out in the rain, and they prefer spending cold days inside roosting and feeding. Therefore, you need a secure and comfortable structure for your birds.
Place your coop in a shady part of the yard, out of direct sunlight. Chickens don’t like to sit in hot coops, and it will affect egg production.
What Do I Look for In the Best Chicken Coop?
The size of the chicken coop determines how many birds you can house in the structure. You’ll need around three to four feet inside the coop per chicken, so consider that when planning your purchase.
If you live in a colder climate where chickens spend more time in the nesting box, you may need up to 10-feet of space per bird, depending on the climate conditions, the chicken breed, and the birds’ size.
The nesting box is the most critical feature of your chicken coop. It provides a safe, secure space for the birds, protecting them from predators and diseases. The nesting box needs to offer easy cleaning and enough room for your chickens. Your birds need around six to ten inches of roosting space each.
Your coop needs to have the nesting box elevated above ground level to stop cold penetrating the structure. Look for nesting boxes offering around 1-square foot of total space for 4-birds.
Rest Area and Run
The rest area and run is another important part of your chicken coop design. Not all models come with a rest and run area, and it’s important if you need to keep your chickens secure during the day while you’re at work and no-ones home.
The run gives the chickens a place to scratch at the ground, and the rest area allows them to stay out of the sun and enjoy the fresh air. Look for models offering design and construction with chicken wire for added protection of your birds from predators in the local area.
The Important Features of the Best Chicken Coop
- Ramp – The ramp helps your chickens move from the rest and run area into the nesting box. Not all models come with this feature, and it’s an important component of the coop. The ramp features traction bars every few inches, giving the chickens something to clutch to as they make their way up the ramp.
- Secure Doors – Make sure you choose doors with some sort of latch or lock system. This feature improves security for your chickens, preventing predators from getting into the henhouse.
- Sturdy Design – Look for models with a sturdy design and hardwood material. Canadian Hemlock and fir make excellent choices for weather-resistant materials that last for years. Hardwood is the best choice, and some models come with attractive oil-based stain finishes and asphalt roofs.
- Wood Treatments – Some models come with treated wood to prevent insect and parasite infestations. Treated wood enhances the coop’s service life, providing a comfortable, healthy living space for your birds.
- Weather-proof Roof – A weather-proof roof ensures there are no leaks into the nesting box during rainstorms and bad weather conditions.
- Removable Nesting Trays – You’ll need to clean and maintain the coop to prevent disease and parasites from getting at your chickens. Look for models with removable nesting trays for easy cleaning.
Can I Use a Portable Chicken Coop?
There are a few models for collapsible, portable chicken coops in this review. These coops are not suitable for a permanent living structure for your birds. If you have a nesting house but no run or resting area, then a portable pen makes a good choice for a run for your birds during the daytime while you’re at work.
Look for models featuring a mesh material design for optimal airflow. The coop should feature an open-bottom design to let the chickens scratch and sturdy pegs to keep the enclosure in place in high-wind conditions.
How Much Do Chickens Eat?
Hens enjoy eating insects and grubs they find around your yard in flowerbeds and lawns. However, you’ll also need to feed them a high-quality seed mix with the right nutrition to optimize egg production.
The amount your chickens eat varies depending on the breed, quality of the feed, and your climate. The average hen eats between four to six ounces of feed each day, with that amount increasing in the winter months.
How Do I Keep Parasites Off My Chickens?
Chickens live outdoors, and they wander around your yard during the day. As a result, they tend to pick up parasites. Chickens can experience problems with ticks, fleas, and a range of other parasites that feed off them.
We recommend avoiding the use of chemical products to clean parasites from your birds. Organic food-grade choices are much better Choices for your chickens. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a product featuring fossilized microscopic shells made by single-celled plants called diatoms.
It’s a popular natural product for safeguarding your chickens from parasites and disease. DE also controls internal and external parasites, and you can dust them off with DE to offer protection from mites, fleas, lice, and ticks. Mixing DE with the chicken feed protects them from intestinal parasites.
Do Chickens Return to the Coop at Night?
You might find yourself wondering if it’s possible to train your chickens, as you see in the movies. The reality is chickens are social animals, and if you treat them well, they might listen to you from time to time.
If you gently Shepard them into the coop as the sun sets and repeat this behavior for a few weeks, they’ll eventually start doing it themselves. Some chicken coops come with automatic door openers for the coop or nesting box. Your chickens get easy access to their quarters, even when you’re away.
Chicken Coop FAQs
Do chickens stay in the coop all day?
Chickens can stay in the coop all day, especially in bad weather. However, they like to get outdoors on cooler days to rummage around the run. The size of the coop makes the biggest difference in this regard. If you pack too many chickens into a smaller coop, it results in them wanting to get outdoors more often.
What is the best flooring for a chicken coop?
We recommend using pine shavings inside your nesting box. This flooring is inexpensive, providing excellent insulation and moisture absorption in colder, wetter climates. Lay an inch or two of pine shavings, and cover it with straw for the best results for your chickens.
Do chickens respond to affection?
Yes, many chickens respond to petting and affection. While these mini-dinosaurs destroy everything they can get their claws on, chickens make remarkable entertaining and affectionate yard animals. When approaching a chicken, do so with slow movements and a calm demeanor. Avoid making sudden moves that might startle the bird.
Where do I buy the best chicken coop?
If you’re buying your chicken coop online, we recommend getting it from Amazon – the world’s largest eCommerce retailer. Amazon has the best range and prices, with more variety than other online stores. Prime members get fast and free shipping directly to your door, with buyer protection on your order and hassle-free returns.
Chicken Coops – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best chicken coop to suit your yard. Owning a chicken coop is a great investment in your yard and sustainable living. Therefore, we understand if you’re having issues with settling on a preferred model.
If you’re battling with your purchase decision, why not rely on one of our top picks?
The Ogrmar Chicken Coop is the winner of the best overall chicken coop in this review. You get a classic hardwood design, with a raised nesting box and a long run for your birds. The covered resting box keeps your chickens dry in rainy weather, and the ramp to the elevated nesting house features bars for traction. You get easy cleaning with a removable tray and an elevated henhouse to keep your birds away from the cold ground.
The Zoovilla Country Style Chicken Coop is a great choice for homeowners that want a classic farmhouse design that looks stylish in the back yard. This model comes with an attractive Canadian Hemlock construction, featuring an oil-based stain finish. The result is stunning good looks with plenty of functionality. The elevated henhouse keeps the birds off the ground in the winter, helping them stay warm. You get a removable tray for easy cleaning and a chicken rest under the nesting house.
The SlowTon Chicken Playpen is the ideal choice for small homes. This model features a durable mesh design for optimal airflow around the coup. You get four zipper doors for easy access to your birds and a collapsing structure that’s lightweight and portable. You get ground nails to keep the coop in place and enough space for six to eight hens.