Is there any sound more rewarding to a parent than children laughing and playing outdoors? With the PS5 arriving in November 2020, more kids spend time indoors instead of playing outside in the fresh air.
With the right toys, your kids can learn to enjoy spending time in the yard or the park. Getting exercise is a critical part of being young; it’s how we develop our bodies and strength.
If kids spend too much time in front of the TV, they never develop their muscular systems and experience imbalances that lead to posture problems in their early to late twenties.
Teaching your kids to play outdoors isn’t that challenging; it’s part of our nature to want to get outside. However, you might find that you need to incentivize your kids to have a good time.
Playsets are a wonderful way to give your kids some fun in the garden. Playsets come in a variety of sizes, styles, and functions. There’s plenty of toys to keep them busy in the yard or at the park, from ball pits to obstacle courses and playhouses.
This review looks at the best outdoor playsets for your kids. We have options for stocking stuffers for Xmas and entertaining setups your kids will love.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Outdoor Playset Reviews
- 2.1 NinjaSafe Obstacle Course for Kids
- 2.2 ALEKO Outdoor Wooden Swing Playset
- 2.3 CDCASA Swing Rope Set for Kids
- 2.4 Little Tikes Jump’ n Slide Bouncer
- 2.5 Gorilla Playsets Skateboard Swing
- 2.6 Step2 Rain Showers Splash Pond
- 2.7 Lavievert Indian Canvas Teepee
- 2.8 Sunba Youth Kids Ball Pit
- 2.9 ImpriLux Dinosaur Play Tent
- 2.10 Kids Backyard Outdoor Exploration kit
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Outdoor Playset Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Outdoor Playset FAQs
- 6 Outdoor Playsets – The Verdict
There are thousands of listings for outdoor playsets. We spent hours going through the top listings to settle on this list of the leading outdoor playsets. From our curated list, we selected these three models for our top picks.
You have options to suit boys and girls and any budget. Give your kids a gift they can use outdoors this year, and watch them develop.
- The Best Pick: NinjaSafe Obstacle Course for Kids
This obstacle course is a great choice for improving fitness and strength in your children. The NinjaSafe course comes with a durable slackline featuring design and construction with seatbelt-like materials. The strong ratchet system holds the slackline in place, allowing you to attach your accessories.
- The Premium Pick: ALEKO Outdoor Wooden Swing Playset
The ALEKO outdoor playset is the winner of the best premium kids playset in this review. This model comes with a sturdy frame, featuring design and construction with Chinese fir spruce for durability and weather resistance. This model features two swings and a see-saw swing for hours of entertainment.
- The Budget Pick: CDCASA Swing Rope Set for Kids
If you’re on a budget and looking for the most affordable playset you can find, we recommend the CDCASA Swing Rope Set for Kids. This toy comes with a 7-foot braided rope, featuring a vibrant color scheme. Along the rope, you’ll find five climbing positions, and the base of the rope comes with a 12-inch plastic disc for swinging.
Outdoor Playset Reviews
After reading through our top choices, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at a few other models that qualify for the best outdoor playset. After reading through our reviews, check out our buyers guide for more information on choosing the right playset for your kids.
NinjaSafe Obstacle Course for Kids
If you’re kids glue themselves to the TV every time Ninja Warrior comes on, they’ll love this fun NinjaSafe obstacle course. This set sets up between trees, poles, or anywhere that can support the high-tensile slackline.
The NinjaSafe Obstacle course is suitable for kids over five, and it’s also fun for teens. You get a durable seatbelt-like material for the slackline, with a strong rachet locking clamp to secure it in place. After setting up the slackline, start attaching your obstacles.
The NinjaSafe Obstacle course comes with ten attachments to increase the fun, set all of them up on the slackline for the ultimate challenge, or work on your skills using two or three of the most challenging obstacles.
The customizable setup allows you to attach the obstacles in any sequence, keeping the course entertaining for your kids. The NinjaSafe kit comes with tree protectors and a handy carry bag. Take it with you to the park, on vacation, or to a friend’s house for some fun!
- Ten obstacles
- Assembly kit included for easy setup
- Safe and durable materials for strength
- Bonus connectors included
- Suitable for kids and teens
- Fitness made fun in the yard or park
ALEKO Outdoor Wooden Swing Playset
This playset from ALEKO wins our top award for the best premium model in this review. This playset comes with design and construction using Chinese Fir Spruce wood. The result is a premium finish on the playset and excellent resilience against outdoor weather conditions.
This playset comes with two swings and a see-saw swing for your kids to enjoy; it’s the ideal playset for two siblings up to 9-years. The Slide platform mounts easily to the frame, and the platform comes with a UV-resistant cover and sides to keep the sun off your kids on hot days.
This playset features a high-quality design with the best materials. It requires some assembly, but it’s nothing you can’t handle with basic tools. If you have no handy experience, you might have to call someone to help you set it up.
The sturdy design of this playset makes it extra safe for your kids. You get a solid frame, with robust hardware holding the swings and see-saw in position.
- High-quality premium design
- China-Fir Spruce wood construction
- Fun for kids
- Anti-slip swing seats
- Shaded fort for UV protection
- 6-foot slide
- Suits two kids at a time
CDCASA Swing Rope Set for Kids
If you’re looking to give your kids a dose of entertainment on vacation this year, set them up with this hanging swing. This playset makes a great choice for a stocking stuffer this Xmas. It’s affordable and plenty of fun for kids up to 9-years.
This climbing swing comes with a 440-lbs rating and a solid connection band for trees. The 12″ disc swinging platform features design and construction with durable plastic. There are four colorful climbing stations along the 7-foot rope.
The rope comes with a braided interwoven design for strength, and you get stainless steel carabiners included with your purchase for easy setup to any tree. The climbing rope and discs feature UV-resistant material that prevents fading.
Hook this swing set up to a NinjaSafe slackline, or take it with you to the park or on vacation. It’s an affordable toy that’s loads of fun for the kids.
- Affordable stocking stuffer
- High-quality 7-foot rope rated to 440-lbs
- Easy installation
- Durable plastic climbing climbers and 12-inch disc seat
- UV-resistant polyethylene materials
Little Tikes Jump’ n Slide Bouncer
Every kid loves a jumping castle. There’s something about bouncing around in the air that brings smiles to kids’ faces. Give your kids the gift of a bounce this Christmas with this Little Tykes Bouncing Castle. It’s a great choice for a birthday present, and it will go down well at the birthday party.
This bouncing castle comes with a 12-foot by 9-foot bouncing area and inflatable pillars with mesh sides to keep the kids inside and prevent accidents. The front of the castle comes with an inflatable slide to help the kids get out without hurting themselves.
You get a blower included with your purchase and a carry bag for portability. This bouncing castle comes with a user-friendly setup, and it’s ready for use in minutes. Take it to the beach or the park, or over to a friend’s house for some fun.
- Includes a heavy-duty blower
- GFCI outlet for surge and fault protection
- Rip-resistant polyester materials
- Double-stitched seams
- Mesh sides
- Easy inflate and deflate
Gorilla Playsets Skateboard Swing
Some kids just love swinging. If your children run to the swing set every time you get to the park, bring that fun into your yard. The Gorilla Playsets Skateboard Swing is a top choice for kids that love board riding sports.
This swing set has a design for standup use, with a thick swing seat designed like a skateboard deck. The deck has a grip to keep the feet in position, even in wet conditions. The rider grips the wooden handles for stability when swinging, and there’s a height adjustment to suit the rider.
This swing set comes with braided ropes for extra strength and durability, and you get all hardware included for an easy setup. There’s a maximum 100-lb rating for this skateswing, and all materials meet ASTM safety standards.
- Skateboard designed with molded heavy-duty plastic
- 15″ chain and sturdy wooden handles
- Weight capacity 100-lbs
- 67-inch rope
- Meets ASTM standards
- Adjustable design to suit child height
Step2 Rain Showers Splash Pond
This Step2 Rain Showers Splash Pond is a great choice for kids during the summertime. Toddlers can’t get in the pool to enjoy the water without an adult present. However, you can turn your kids into water babies with this fun, educational toy.
This Step2 Rain Showers Splash pond acts as a fun way for kids to interact with water. They get the sensory experience, and if other kids join in on the fun, it teaches them social skills. Playing in the Splash pond teaches your kids motor skills, and they have hours of fun with their friends.
The Step2 Rain Showers Splash Pond comes with a molded plastic design that’s free from BPAs. You get a full accessory kit included with your purchase and a fun water wall with a spacious layout. There are a no-leak drain plug and plenty of ways for kids to have fun around the water.
- Fun rainfall effect fun for summer
- Spacious design
- UV-resistant plastic materials
- Delightful waterfall and non-leak plug
- Educational and fun
- All accessories included
Lavievert Indian Canvas Teepee
Kids like hanging out in private spaces in the garden. Let them chill out in a teepee this year. This Lavievert Indian Canvas Teepee is a great choice for the yard.
You get a premium cotton canvas cover that’s allergy-free and breathable. There’s a side window for looking out into the garden and a slip pocket for keeping toys on hand.
The teepee gets its shape from the four treated poles included with your kit. The fumigated pine poles will last a lifetime and provide a lightweight setup that’s easy to carry around. The cover features an anti-microbial treatment, preventing the growth of mold and mildew.
There’s a Velcro closure strap for fastening down during high wind conditions. The teepee also features a carry bag for easy transport to friends’ houses or the camping site.
- High-quality canvas materials
- Premium fumigated flagpoles
- Mothproof and mildewproof
- Garden window and slip pocket
- Includes accessory’s
- Packs up for portability and compact storage
Sunba Youth Kids Ball Pit
Do you remember playing in a ball pit as a kid? It’s tons of fun for youngsters. This Sunba Youth Kids Ball Pit is the ideal entertainment for toddlers. Keep them in one place and entertained for hours with their friends or by themselves.
This ball pit features design and construction with eco-friendly materials that won’t harm your kids. There are zipper curtains to help the kids get in and out of the ball pit, with three independent zones to play in.
This playpen is easy to set up and lightweight. It comes with a carry bag to take with you wherever you go, and it’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use. This model comes with excellent stitching and durable, breathable materials.
There’s a built-in basketball hoop for fun with the balls, and you get a money-back guarantee on your purchase.
- 3-in-1 design
- Eco-friendly materials
- Easy setup
- Portable with compact storage
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Built-in basketball hoop
- Zipper curtains
- Breathable mesh sides
ImpriLux Dinosaur Play Tent
Turn your backyard into Jurassic Park for your kids. This dinosaur-themed tent is a great choice for playtime. This tent features design and construction with rip-resistant polyester material, and it comes with over 12-species of dinosaurs places around the walls.
This tent offers easy setup, and it comes with a convenient carry bag. Take it with you to the beach for a sunshade, or use it in the park to entertain the kids. The frame consists of durable, lightweight fiberglass rods and plastic connector joints, offering easy setup in minutes.
The tent measures 51″ tall, with a 40″ diameter, making it suitable for one to three small children. You get a satisfaction guarantee with your purchase and an affordable price tag.
- Vibrant dinosaur design
- Easy setup with carrying bag included
- High-quality polyester fabric
- 51″ tall x 40″ diameter
- Mesh windows for ventilation
- Non-toxic waterproof materials
Kids Backyard Outdoor Exploration kit
Is your kid a natural explorer? Give them this cool explorer kit for Xmas this year. It’s the most affordable playset in this review, but it offers plenty of fun for your kids. This outdoor exploration kit comes with seven pieces.
You get a camouflage bag, a peak cap, a survival whistle, compass, binoculars, an LED torch, and a magnifying glass. This set features design and construction with premium materials, and the toys are all functional.
If you feel like teaching your kids the basics of EDC, this outdoor exploration kit is a great way to start. It’s also a fantastic stocking stuffer for this Xmas, or a great toy to give as a birthday present.
- Inexpensive Xmas gift
- 7-piece kit
- Camouflage design
- Functional kit items
- High-quality design
Other Best Selling Options
- Invite friends over. Swing set can accommodate up to six children from ages 3-7
- High-rail wave slide gives tons of giggles as kids ripple down to the ground
- Build confidence with the beginning-level climbing rock wall
- Covered deck provides a shaded, extra spot to play
- Two belt swings so kids can catch the breeze
- Upper clubhouse with two balconies
- 2 belt swings and a web swing
- 5ft. Rockwall and flat step entry ladder
- Lower clubhouse with grill and accessories
- 10ft. wave slide
- BEST SELLER: The Woodridge Elite is a sprawling large expansive playground and swing set structure. For larger backyards, this unit has all the ideal features for the family that enjoys the outdoors. Ideal for kids ages 6 and up.
Outdoor Playset Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the reviews of the best kids’ outdoor playsets – you probably want to take more than one! We don’t blame you; it’s hard settling on a top model from all the great options.
In this section, we’ll help you round out your choices and settle on a final model. Our buyer’s guide gives you everything you need to know about choosing the right playset for your kids.
Why Do My Kids Need to Play Outdoors?
Research, and common sense, show that kids need to play outdoors. Playing, running, jumping, and rolling is part of being a kid. However, with the video game revolution gaining traction worldwide, kids spend less time outdoors and more time in front of a screen.
While parents should encourage the fun stuff kids want to do in life, they also need to ensure their kids get some exercise. Sitting in front of the Xbox or PS eating snacks all day isn’t healthy. Kids need to get out into the fresh air to burn some calories now and again.
Exercise is essential for correct development. By running and playing, kids develop their muscular system and strength. An outdoor playset is the best way to encourage your kids to spend more time outdoors. It gives them something to occupy their body and minds. Some playsets are entertaining, while others are physically challenging to complete.
Please choose the right playset to match your child’s age, personality, and physical capabilities.
What are the Different Types of Playsets?
There are two types of playsets available for kids.
- Single function – The single function playset involves swing sets or playsets with only one feature.
- Combination – Combination playsets feature multiple elements that kids can play on, such as swings, slides, and playhouses.
What Materials Feature in Outdoor Playsets?
- Wood – When choosing a playhouse with wooden components, make sure they’re sturdy, especially if they need to support the weight. The ALEKO outdoor playset is a great example of a model using premium materials. The Chinese fir spruce frame carries plenty of weight, making it safe for three or four children to use at a time.
- Plastic – Plastic parts are common on playsets. Make sure the manufacturer is using non-toxic, BPA-free plastics in its plastic components. Plastics also tend to fade in the sun, so look for playsets featuring UV-resistant plastics.
- Rope – Playsets feature ropes for climbing and swinging., Make sure that the manufacturer is using high-tensile ropes and chains in its products. The stronger the rope, the less chance of it breaking and injuring your child.
- Hardware – Your playset should come with all the hardware needed for installation. Look for models offering easy setup that doesn’t require the need for a handyman. Some rope-style climbing toys and obstacle courses come with a tool-less design. However, larger playsets like the ALEKO require tools to put the playset together.
What are the functions of Different Playsets?
- Obstacle Course – These playsets feature freestanding or assisted setup. The NinjaSafe is a great example of an obstacle course for your kids. You get plenty of exciting and challenging accessories to increase the course’s difficulty as you get better with the obstacles.
- Swing Sets – The traditional swing set is still a favorite with kids. Some models come integrated as part of a set, like the ALEKO, while others have a freestanding design, like the Gorilla Skateboard Swing. Make sure that freestanding sets include a portable or fixed installation to suit your kid’s needs.
- Swing ropes – These swings mount to trees using a removable harness. It makes it easy to take with you on vacation or to the park. You get a simple set up in minutes and tons of fun for the kids.
- Playhouses – A playhouse is a great way to give your kid a private place to play in the yard. Choose a model that’s easy to set up and breakdown. Some models are portable, featuring carry bags that make it easy to take them with you to friends’ houses, the park, or the beach.
- Water Toys – If you want to turn your kiddo into a water baby, water toys are a great way to familiarize them with water.
- Slides – Slides come in freestanding models or attached to playsets like the ALEKO.
- Climbing ropes – Climbing ropes and swings offer easy setup and compact portability. Take them with you on vacations or to the park for a fun afternoon.
- Bouncing castles – The stuff of birthday party dreams, giving your kid an outdoor bouncing castle keeps them entertained for days.
How Do I Choose the Best Playset for My Kids?
When settling on a playset for your kids, we recommend you consider the following factors.
- Quality – The quality of the playset determines how long it’s going to last. Sure, we understand that your kids will grow out of the set in a few years. However, you might want to keep it if you plan on having more kids in a few years. Quality components stand the test of time, and when your kids grow out of the playset, you can always resell it or donate it to an orphanage.
- Budget – Your budget is another important consideration. Kids’ playsets vary in price. You can find an affordable playset for $25, but the premium models cost hundreds of dollars. It’s easy to get carried away when making your purchase, so create a budget and stick to it when shopping.
- Gender – Are you buying playsets for girls, boys, or both? Choose a gender-neutral playset and ensure that your son and daughter can both enjoy their outdoor experience.
- Age – Make sure you’re buying an age-appropriate playset for your kids.
Outdoor Playset FAQs
How long does an outdoor playset last?
It depends on the quality of the set and the materials. The best playsets can last ten or twenty years with the right care. Your kids are more likely to outgrow the set before it starts falling apart. When your kids no longer need the playset, consider donating it to charity or an orphanage.
Do I need a handyman to install my kid’s playset?
Some playsets like the ALEKO might require some assembly. If you have no handy skills or no tools around the house, you’ll have to call a local handyman to come and build the playset. It shouldn’t take longer than an hour to set up, and it won’t cost you a fortune.
What is the best material to put under a swing set?
We recommend lining the floor of your swing set with rubber mulch. Rubber mulch offers the best protection if your child falls off the swing. However, if you have a toddler swing set and a rubber mat, it is better to prevent your toddle from choking on bits of rubber.
Where can I buy an outdoor playset?
We recommend picking up your kid’s playset from Amazon, the world’s largest retailer. Amazon offers you the best prices and the widest range of toys for your kids. If you’re a Prime member, you get fast, free shipping directly to your door. Amazon also offers buyer protection on your order and hassle-free returns.
Outdoor Playsets – The Verdict
Giving your kids things to do outside improves their health and their mental and physical development. By now, you should have an idea of the best outdoor playset for your kids. However, we realize it’s challenging to settle on one item with so much choice available.
If you’re still on the fence trying to decide which playset to buy your kids, why not go with one of our top picks? We have models to suit your kid’s playtime requirements and your budget.
- The NinjaSafe Obstacle Course for Kids is our top choice for the best overall playset in this review. If you kids love the TV show “Ninja Warrior,” they’ll find this set plenty of fun. You get a durable and strong slackline with rachet for an easy setup.
There are ten obstacles, and you have your choice of customs setups. This playset is a great choice for kids up to 11-years.
- The ALEKO Outdoor Wooden Swing Playset is the best premium playset in this review. You get a durable, robust frame, featuring design and construction with Chinese fir spruce. The wood comes treated against the weather and UV, with all hardware included with your purchase.
This model comes with two swings, and see-saw swing, and playhouse, and a slide. Your kids can spend hours enjoying themselves in the yard with this playset, and it’s the ideal choice for siblings.
- The CDCASA Swing Rope Set for Kids is our winner for the best budget playset in this review. This model comes with an affordable price tag, making it a great choice for a stocking stuffer this Xmas. You get a 7-foot braided rope featuring bright colors and a secure tree strap that supports up to 440lbs.
This climbing rope comes with five foot-positions and a large 12-inch swinging disc at the bottom. It’s a great choice for kids up to 9-years old., take it with you to a friend’s house or the park for plenty of climbing and swinging fun.