It’s challenging to get the weeds out of your garden once they start. Weeds spread quickly, choking the life out of your garden as they compete for nutrients. Some homeowners use weed killer products to control weeds, but applying chemicals around your flowerbeds all summer doesn’t seem like a healthy option, right?
What if there was a way to prevent weeds from appearing in your yard altogether?
Landscape fabric is the ideal weed prevention you need for your garden this year. If you’re starting flowerbeds or a veggie garden, lay down some landscaping fabric, and never worry about weeds again.
Landscaping fabric is an affordable way to safeguard your garden from weeds this growing season. In this review, we’ll look at the best landscaping fabric for your yard and make recommendations on the top choices for homeowners and landscapers.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Landscape Fabric Reviews
- 2.1 ECOgardener Premium 5oz Landscaping Fabric
- 2.2 Hoople Premium Pro Landscaping Fabric
- 2.3 Beiyoule Landscaping Fabric
- 2.4 DeWitt Landscaping Fabric
- 2.5 AHG Landscaping Fabric
- 2.6 Mutual Industries Landscaping Fabric
- 2.7 Waenlir Landscaping Fabric
- 2.8 Goasis Landscaping Fabric
- 2.9 Landmaster Landscaping Fabric
- 2.10 AGTEK Landscaping Fabric
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Landscape Fabric Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 How Much Does Landscaping Fabric Cost?
- 4.2 What Are the Materials Used in Landscaping Fabric?
- 4.3 What are the Landscaping Fabric Installation Types?
- 4.4 What are the Benefits of Using Landscaping Fabric?
- 4.5 What are the Drawbacks of Using Landscaping Fabric?
- 4.6 Tips for Using Landscaping Fabric Around Your Garden
- 5 Landscape Fabric FAQs
- 6 Landscape Fabric – The Verdict
We settled on these three options for your yard. We have options for the best overall, premium, and budget products – Choose the one that suits your landscaping needs.
- Best Pick: ECOgardener Premium 5oz Landscaping Fabric
This product wins our top award for the best overall landscaping fabric in this review. You get a professional-grade material, featuring design and construction with durable fabric that’s easy to roll and cover.
- Premium Pick: Hoople Premium Pro Landscaping Fabric
Professional landscaping and homeowners looking for the best product in this category can purchase the Hoople 32″ x 180′ Premium Pro Ultra Thick Landscape Fabric. This material offers excellent breathability and drainage, preventing waterlogging and weeds.
- Budget Pick: Beiyoule Landscaping Fabric
Homeowners and landscapers looking for the best budget landscaping fabric in this review can settle on this product. The PP woven fabric is suitable for flowerbeds, helping to retain moisture in the soil while providing adequate draining during rainstorms.
Landscape Fabric Reviews
Now that you know the top three products in this review let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll look at each product’s pros and cons and make our recommendations on the best choice for your landscaping project.
After you finish the reviews, read through our buyer’s guide. We’ll give your helpful tips for selecting the right landscaping fabric for your needs.
ECOgardener Premium 5oz Landscaping Fabric
This product from ECOgardener wins our best overall landscaping fabric. You get a durable polypropylene construction using 5-oz material for a strong and durable surface that doesn’t slip during the season.
This landscaping fabric is suitable for blocking weeds, ensuring the health of your flowerbeds. It’s easy to roll out and cut, providing premium weed protection for your yard. The fabric is lightweight and comes on rolls of 3-foot in width by 50-feet in length.
You get the coverage your need for your garden and a professional-grade finish suitable for the most demanding landscaping applications. Professionals and homeowners will benefit from the balance of performance and price with this fabric.
It’s easy to install and setup this landscaping fabric, and it pins to the ground with landscaping stakes. You get a 100% money-back guarantee with your purchase and hassle-free returns.
- Professional landscaping fabric
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 5-oz material weight
- High strength and durability
- Polypropylene material
- Easy installation
Hoople Premium Pro Landscaping Fabric
Hoople Premium Pro Landscaping Fabric is a top choice for homeowners and professional, high-quality installations. This premium material comes in a design that’s 3X thicker than most other landscaping fabrics.
The porous fabric offers your garden excellent drainage and airflow while preventing weed growth. This material rolls out easy, and cuts clean, without snagging. The woven design provides strength and durability while optimizing soil moisture to slow evaporation.
This material is a top choice for homeowners. Landscaping professionals might find it too expensive for large projects. However, if you’re doing a premium fitment at an expensive office park, this material is a top choice.
It has excellent UV resistance, and it comes in a roll 32″ wide by 180-feet in length. If you’re looking for the best premium choice in this review, you’ll get it with this Hoople Premium Pro product.
- Premium professional-grade material
- Easy-rolling and cutting
- Heavy-duty woven design
- 3X thicker than other brands
- Drains well and promotes airflow
- UV stabilized
Beiyoule Landscaping Fabric
Landscapers and homeowners looking for the most affordable option will get value from this budget buy. Beiyoule landscaping fabrics offers you excellent value for money and good weed protection for your flowerbeds.
You get a polypropylene woven fabric design with excellent UV resistance to stop fading. The porous material allows water and nutrients to enter the ground while slowing evaporation to save you on your watering costs.
The fabric also lets air through to your plants’ roots, giving them everything they need to thrive. The durable, 5-oz material prevents weed from penetrating the surface, keeping your flowerbeds looking great.
This product is a great choice for homeowners and landscapers, offering you affordable value. This product comes in two pieces, allowing you to join it in your application. The sturdy design prevents slippage underfoot and while your plants grow.
- High-quality PP woven fabric
- Excellent drainage and airflow
- Retains soil moisture and protects against weeds
- Suitable for a variety of applications
DeWitt Landscaping Fabric
This professional-grade landscaping fabric is an excellent choice for homeowners and landscapers. You get a durable, heavy-duty 5-oz polypropylene fabric, protecting from weeds emerging in your flowerbeds.
This material rolls out easy, and cuts clean, providing easy installation around your yard. You get a UV-resistant fabric that doesn’t fade in the sun, and a porous material lets in moisture, while slowing evaporation.
This product features multi-layer technology, allowing airflow to the roots of your plants. The Hydrophilic treatment on this landscaping fabric allows nutrients and water to pass through to the soil while conserving the nutrient value.
The material drains well, ensuring none of your flowers or shrubs experience waterlogging. The black color offers complete light blockage, preventing weeds from sprouting.
- Durable 5-oz polypropylene material
- Breathable and drains well
- Keeps moisture in the soil
- Hydrophilic treatment
- Multiple-layer technology
- A favorite of professional landscapers
AHG Landscaping Fabric
This product from American Home and Gardening is a top choice for homeowners and contractors. This fabric comes on a roll three-foot-wide by 300-feet in length, giving you enough coverage for the largest gardens and veggie patches.
This product is suitable for residential and commercial use, and it’s also ideal for agricultural operations. AHG uses premium polypropylene materials, allowing for optimal drainage and airflow through the fabric. The blackout design prevents weeds from sprouting while offering UV resistance against sun fading.
This material is easy to use and handle and cuts clean, with no ragged edges. You get a high-quality landscaping fabric at a decent price point, even if it is slightly more expensive than other options in this review.
- Premium polypropylene material
- Imported fabric
- Top-seller for landscapers
- Easy to use and cut
- Allows drainage and airflow
Mutual Industries Landscaping Fabric
Mutual Industries is an American Company producing products locally in the United States. The quality of this landscaping fabric is fantastic, offering you a non-woven design that optimizes airflow around the roots of your plants.
The polypropylene non-woven fabric allows air and moisture to reach the roots while slowing evaporation. This product retains the moisture nutrients in your soil, preventing weed growth. The material resists UV fading and cracking, providing a long-lasting surface for your yard.
This product is an excellent choice for homeowners and professional landscapers. It’s easy to roll and cuts clean, with a roll containing 300-feet of material in a 3-foot width. The non-woven design helps water to pass through the membrane without clogging.
- A good choice for landscaping professionals
- Durable polypropylene material
- Made in the United States
- Non-woven fabric for breathability and drainage
- Resists reflective cracking
Waenlir Landscaping Fabric
This landscaping fabric from Waenlir is another top-quality choice for homeowners and landscapers. You get a heavy-duty 5.8-oz polypropylene material that’s stronger than most competitor products. While it’s thicker, you still get excellent drainage and airflow through to your plant’s roots.
The Waenlir landscaping fabric also comes with UV resistance to fading and cracking, offering easy installation, roiling, and cutting. This material provides your garden with 100% light blocking, ensuring that no weeds have the sunlight they need to germinate.
This landscaping fabric comes on a 3-foot x 300-foot roll, with plenty of coverage for your yard. The material features an eco-friendly design, with no harmful chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
- An excellent professional choice
- 5.8-oz heavy-duty fabric
- Environmentally friendly
- East installation and cutting
- Light blocking with excellent drainage
Goasis Landscaping Fabric
This product is our top choice for farmers and large agricultural projects. The Goasis landscaping fabric features design and construction with advanced polypropylene materials, providing a hydrophilic coating to the material that allows the passage of nutrients, water, and air to your plant’s roots.
The Goasis landscaping fabric comes in rolls of 300-foot x 3-foot and a range of other sizes to suit your application. It might have a premium price tag, but it’s a top-quality material.
The LITA weed-blocking fabric protects the ground from weeds while still allowing water and nutrients to pass to the plants’ roots.
The woven fabric’s porous design allows for airflow through the soil, ensuring your plants can breathe. Goasis landscaping fabric helps to retain moisture levels and nutrients in your soil, preventing evaporation and erosion.
- Heavy-duty PP woven fabric
- Conserves soil moisture
- Eco-friendly and UV resistance
- 100% hassle-free
- LITA weed-blocking fabric
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Landmaster Landscaping Fabric
This landscaping fabric is a top choice for homeowners, but landscapers might find it a bit expensive for their budget. You get outstanding protection for your flowerbeds with this material, featuring a 15-year guarantee on the fabric.
This product features design and construction with heavy-duty, durable, 5-oz polypropylene materials for UV resistance and long service life.
The porous woven design of the material allows for water and nutrients to penetrate the membrane. You get 100% blackout of sunlight from your soil, ensuring no weeds have a chance to sprout. You gain resistance to cracking and splitting, with easy installation, rolling, and cutting.
This material comes in a range of sizes, and you have different quality options available to match your application.
- Effective weed control 5-oz polypropylene fabric
- Protects the soil
- Reduces soil erosion
- Prevent evaporation
- Allows for optimal airflow and drainage
- UV resistance
- 15-year warranty
AGTEK Landscaping Fabric
AGTEK manufacture premium gardening materials for your yard. This 5-oz landscaping fabric is another testimony to the company’s quality product offering. You get design and construction with durable, rugged polypropylene fabric, providing excellent tear resistance.
The material offers you full blackout for your flowerbeds, preventing weed growth. You get a porous design, allowing for nutrients and water to pass through the membrane into the soil. The fabric slows evaporation while retaining moisture in your flowerbeds.
This product is a top choice for homeowners, but it might be a bit pricy for contractors and landscapers to use on large projects. The material’s porous design also allows for optimal airflow around your plants’ roots, spurring growth.
- Heavy-duty woven fabric
- Conserves soil moisture
- Protects the soil
- Prevents weed growth
- Easy to roll and cut
- Allows drainage and airflow
Other Best Selling Options
- 3.2oz heavy duty Weed Barrier Fabric is made of strong woven polypropylene,very strong and durable，Pro landscape weed barrier will provide you with premium weed protection for a very long time.
- Controls weeds without chemicals，Helping you to reduce chemicals so you can do your part for the environment too!
- Blocks weeds while still letting water and nutrients to drain to the soil，Holds in moisture meaning less time and money spent on watering
- Easy to install，Great for flower beds, plant beds, shrub beds, vegetable gardens, pathways, and more
- We have been working hard to provide you with the most professional, advanced and durable home garden solutions，We confidently offer a 30-day, hassle-free, full refund guarantee on our stunning weed barrier fabric!
- High-quality & Durable: 3FT*100FT, 142 g/m², 5 oz heavy duty landscape weed barrier fabric, made of professional tightly woven polypropylene fabric needle. This premium material in high strength for durability can be used for a long time and keep your flower beds or garden looks tidy.
- Superior Light Blocking & Permeability: The density woven needle dual layer design makes the ground cover have nice permeability to conserve soil moisture. In the circulation of air at the same time, block the sun exposure.
- Soil Friendly & Environmentally: The premium Polypropylene material won't harm the environment of yard. It can protect the ecosystem of the garden, thrive plants and reduce soil erosion.
- Easy to install & Multiple Purposes: Easy to handle and lay. Cut the fabric with scissors to conform your garden, edging, patio, driveway, artificial grass, vegetable patch, flower bed, gravel walkway, playground, greenhouse, or landscape layout. The weed barrier fabric is suitable for landscaping outdoor use.
- After-Sales Service: We offer premium products for you and offer thoughtful and considerate customer care. We will always be here to answer questions and provide fast support.
- Discover The Professional Gardening Solution – The ECOgardener ultimate pro weed barrier landscape fabric is here to make your life easier and 100% hassle-free. Designed to provide unparalleled weed control, this premium weed barrier fabric will skyrocket your productivity and efficiency!
- Super-Easy To Install and Set-Up – You don’t have to be an expert or call in expensive professionals in order to set up the elite ECOgardener weed blocking fabric, since it is light enough so that you can carry and cut it and also heavy enough to protect your garden.
- Your Soil Has Value And We Know It – Our exclusive garden weed control mat is designed to let air and water through, thus conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value. The ECOgardener simple and easy gardening solution is going to keep weeds away without blocking air or water.
- Weed Barrier Fabric Made To Last – The heavy-duty, durable and sturdy design of the ECOgardener pro landscape weed barrier will provide you with premium weed protection for a very long time. Helping you to reduce chemicals so you can do your part for the environment too!
- 100% Satisfaction Or Your Money Back – We, at ECOgardener, believe that you deserve the most advanced, durable and professional solution for your home garden. That’s why we confidently offer a 30-day, hassle-free, full refund guarantee on our stunning weed barrier fabric!
Landscape Fabric Buyer’s Guide
Do you have flowerbeds in your yard? Maintaining your garden involves mundane tasks like watering and weeding. In most cases, it’s fun to get out into the garden and plant or prune, making your flowers and shrubs thrive during the summer.
However, weeding and watering take hours of time during the summer, and you can probably find better things to do with your time. Installing landscaping fabric in your garden helps limit your yard responsibilities during the springtime and summer.
There’s less watering, and you don’t have to worry about weeds popping up in your flowerbeds.
In this section, we’ll unpack the specifics of what you need to look for when choosing the best landscaping fabric.
How Much Does Landscaping Fabric Cost?
Landscaping fabric isn’t expensive, and it saves you hours of gardening work during the summer. For homeowners, the costs of protecting all your flowerbeds in minimal. A 3-foot x 300-foot roll of landscaping fabric can vary between $750 and $70, depending on the manufacturer and the materials’ quality.
However, landscapers doing large corporate jobs or planting flowerbeds on estates will need affordable material that still protects against weed growth. Therefore, they’ll need to settle on products with an affordable price tag.
When planning your budget, you’ll need to account for the cost of installation pins that allow you to secure the fabric to the ground. These pins can retail for up to $10 for a box of 50.
What Are the Materials Used in Landscaping Fabric?
Landscaping fabric typically comes in large rolls. It features design and construction with polypropylene materials, providing a tough, durable surface with long service life.
Most brands treat the material with a hydrophilic formula that helps with nutrient transfer to the soil. Some brands offer thicker materials than others, with better-quality manufacturing processes that enhance drainage and airflow through the fabric.
Some brands place a felt layer on the underside of the landscaping fabric for filtration and anti-clogging functionality.
What are the Landscaping Fabric Installation Types?
- Homeowners – Flowerbeds get plenty of weeds during the summer. Fitting a landscaping fabric to your garden and covering it with a substrate like bark ships or pebbles creates an attractive aesthetic that hides the material.
- Estates – Estates can use landscaping fabric to minimize time spent on landscaping duties. Running an estate garden is a time-consuming responsibility, and everything you can do to prevent wasted time is advantageous to your management strategy.
- Corporate Parks – Professional landscapers who are undertaking jobs at large venues like corporate office parks, government parks, and other sizable venues use landscaping fabric to minimize maintenance duties.
- Agricultural – Farms and other growing sites require landscaping fabric that sits on top of the soil. Therefore, they need a UV-resistant material that allows water penetration while blocking out sunlight.
What are the Benefits of Using Landscaping Fabric?
There are plenty of benefits to adding landscaping fabric to your flowerbeds after planting. Spread it around your flowerbeds and the base of shrubs or flowers to prevent weed growth. However, there are plenty of other reasons why you would want to install landscaping fabric in your flowerbeds.
- Prevent nutrient loss by soil erosion. The fabric keeps your soil in one place, and it won’t wash away.
- Prevent weed growth. The fabric provides a light barrier to your soil, preventing the germination of weed seeds.
- Create a living soil. Landscaping fabric allows you to create living soil for your plants without adding excessive amounts of nutrients to the earth during the growing season.
- Slow evaporation. Landscaping fabric provides cover for the soil, helping it retain moisture on warm days.
- Save on watering costs. As mentioned, the fabric slows evaporation, saving you on water bills.
- There is no need to add chemicals to your flowerbeds. Since there are no weeds, there’s no need to use chemicals like pre-emergent on your flowerbeds.
What are the Drawbacks of Using Landscaping Fabric?
When choosing your landscaping fabric, it’s vital that you go for a high-quality product. Many brands offer inferior materials that cause blockages, waterlogging the roots of your flowers. Look for products offering you multi-layer fabrics that promise good drainage and excellent airflow.
Some landscapers and gardeners refuse to use landscaping fabrics. They claim it discourages the natural development of worms in the soil, reducing its nutrient value. Worms also aerate the ground, and without them, there’s more chance of compaction, where your earth turns to mud.
As mentioned, some poor-quality fabrics result in waterlogging, causing disease in your plant’s roots. The permanent barrier also prevents natural environmental nutrients from rotting plant debris from reentering the soil.
Using landscaping fabric also makes it more challenging to plant new flowers and shrubs. You’ll have to cut holes in the material for new planting sites.
Tips for Using Landscaping Fabric Around Your Garden
If you think landscaping fabric sounds like the perfect addition to your new flowerbed, why not give it a try? If it’s going to save your hours of back-breaking labor in the garden this year, it’s worth the time you spend on the installation.
If you’re having a landscaper fit your new flowerbeds in your yard, speak to them about using landscaping fabric for the installation. Make sure that your landscaper uses high-quality material from a trusted brand.
Here are a few tips you can use when installing the landscaping fabric yourself.
Use Professional-Grade Material
The quality of the landscaping fabric is the most important consideration when choosing your material. Make sure you look for products offering multi-layer construction. Multi-layers use materials like polypropylene for durability and strength, with felt underliners, giving the material filtering properties.
The felt filters the soil from the base layer, improving drainage while preventing blockages that lead to waterlogging of your flowerbeds.
Cheap materials might save you on your flowerbeds budget, but you’ll probably end up regretting your decision to save a few dollars. When selecting your fabric, the density and weight of the roll are a good indicator of quality.
Level Your Soil
After selecting your landscaping fabric, it’s time to prepare your flowerbeds. Start with leveling the soil.
Break up the terrain, and add your amendments to the soil to provide your plants with nutrients during the growing season. After working the amendments into the ground, rake it out flat.
After adding amendments and working them into the soil thoroughly, level the terrain by breaking up hard clods, and raking the surface smooth.
Lay the Fabric and Overlap the Edges
Take the fabric and roll it out into the required length. Overlap the edges to ensure that you get a light-tight seal that prevents the germination of any unwanted weeds seeds lurking in the soil. Overlap sections of fabric by eight inches, and allow for a two-inch overlap along the edges of the flowerbed.
After securing the fabric, you can tuck in the edges to neaten things up. Push it into the soil around the edges of the flowerbed, and use a putty knife to create a clean effect.
Pin the Landscaping Fabric
You’ll need to pin the fabric to the ground top to prevent it from moving around as your garden grows and the weather arrives. Place a landscaping pin in the material every 10-inches along the edge and every 12-inches in the overlapping areas.
The pins might come loose in a few months, and you’ll need to push them back in. It’s for this reason that you need to pin close together to prevent the fabric from shifting. Shifted material can create creases in the visual effect of your flowerbeds.
Lay Your Substrate
If you’re laying the landscaping fabric on a flowerbed, then you can cover it with a layer of mulch or pebbles to create an authentic look that hides the material.
However, if you’re fitting it to your veggie garden or using it in commercial agricultural applications – there’s no need to cover the fabric.
Care Tips for Your Landscaping Fabric
Your landscaping fabric will protect your flowerbeds for years. However, weeds could pop up in the mulch or pebbles on top of the material. Take a seasonal inspection of your flowerbeds, and remove any weeds at the start of the summer.
Landscape Fabric FAQs
Will landscaping fabric affect the drainage of my lawn?
No, landscaping fabric won’t waterlog your garden. The material is porous, allowing water to get through. However, it forms a physical barrier for your garden, preventing weeds from penetrating the surface.
Which side faces up when installing my landscaping fabric?
When fitting your landscaping fabric, install it with the shiny side facing up. The matte, felted side goes to the downside, helping with drainage. The shiny side helps the soil “stick” to the surface of the fabric, preventing slippage.
Are filter fabric and landscaping fabric the same thing?
No, landscaping fabric is suitable for preventing weed growth in your garden. It offers good drainage of the soil and airflow to the roots of grass and plants. Filter fabric is less durable and tears easier.
Where can I buy the best landscaping fabric?
We recommend picking up your landscaping fabric from Amazon. Amazon has the best prices and a comprehensive range of products. Prime members get fast, free shipping, with buyer protection on your order. With Amazon, you have the option for quick, hassle-free returns if you need a refund on your order.
Landscape Fabric – The Verdict
Landscaping fabric is an essential step in preparing the ground for flowerbeds and lawns. Leave it out, and you’ll regret it later when the weeds are pushing through the soil. By now, you should have a good idea of the different types of landscaping fabric and which one is the best choice for your landscaping needs.
Whether you’re a homeowner or a professional landscaper, we have a product to suit your needs and budget. If you’re struggling with making a purchase decision, why not go with one of our top picks?
- The ECOgardener Premium 5oz Landscaping Fabric is a great all-around choice for professional landscapers and homeowners. The thick, breathable material provides plenty of airflow and drainage while preventing weeds from growing in your garden.
- Hoople Premium Pro Landscaping Fabric is a top-quality choice for landscaping fabric. This product is easy to roll and cut, providing a dense material to prevent weed growth. Your plants get air to the roots, and the soil drains well, with a long-lasting material that’s the best premium choice for your landscaping projects.
- Beiyoule Landscaping Fabric offers the most affordable option for landscapers. If you’re running a budget and need effective weed prevention at an affordable price, this product is your best choice. It might be cheaper than other materials, but you still get excellent weed prevention. It’s breathable, offering excellent drainage for your garden.