An indoor composting system helps you turn your kitchen waste into fertilizer. These composting models are compact and easy to store away in a cupboard or a corner of the kitchen. There are dozens of indoor composters available at various price points.
In this review, we’ll pick out the best indoor compost bin and make recommendations on other top models. Our buyer’s guide will help you settle on your decision on the right indoor compost bin for your kitchen.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Kitchen Compost Bin Reviews
- 2.1 YukChuk Under-Counter Indoor Composter
- 2.2 iTouchless Stainless Steel Compost Bin
- 2.3 Indoor Compost Bin
- 2.4 Modern Barnhaus Store Stainless Steel Countertop Composter
- 2.5 Cooler Kitchen Indoor Composter
- 2.6 Chef’n EcoCrock Counter Compost Bin
- 2.7 Full Circle Fresh Air Kitchen Compost Bin
- 2.8 Spigo Indoor Kitchen Compost Bin
- 2.9 EPICA Stainless Steel Compost Bin
- 3 Indoor Compost Bin Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Indoor Compost Bin Buyer’s Guide
- 5 How Does an Indoor Composter Work?
- 6 What Can I Add to My Indoor Composter?
- 7 What Is a Bokashi System?
- 8 How to Select an Indoor Compost Bin
- 9 Indoor Compost Bin FAQs
- 10 Compost Bin Reviews – The Verdict
There are dozens of listings for indoor composters online. With hundreds of models and different styles and designs, it’s challenging settling on the best indoor compost bin for your kitchen. If you want to get back to your gardening duties, save yourself some time, and choose one of our top picks.
We have models to suit any kitchen, as well as above-the-counter and under-counter options for your indoor compost bin. There’s a model to suit your kitchen décor and budget.
Best Pick: YukChuk Under-Counter Indoor Composter
- MARTHA STEWART Living magazine featured and endorsed our under counter residential food waste container.
- Recycle-repurpose food-waste into compost for your organic vegetable garden. Designed specifically as a practical out-of-site food scrap bin totally functional was the achieved goal, not aesthetics.
- Simple one handed use makes the YukChuks easy as pie with NO Odors, NO Fruit flies, NO filter (costs) since filter are not needed.
- Twin handle locks, integrated lid/bucket seal, and the living hinge there to keep odor in and fruit flies out. Not hermetic, but close.
This YukChuk model wins our award for the best overall indoor composter. This indoor compost bin attaches to the inside of your sink cabinet doors, with all hardware included. The polypropylene body features a 2.5-gallon capacity, with plenty of space for your kitchen waste. You get a filter-less design, with no odors or fruit flies hanging around the composting bin.
Premium Pick: iTouchless Stainless Steel Compost Bin
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU – Your 100% satisfaction is assured and backed by a Full-Service Manufacturer's Warranty and Dedicated Customer Support (see user manual for details)
- EASY COMPOSTING AT HOME – Composting is great for the environment and for your garden. Collect biodegradable kitchen scraps in this attractive counter-top bin, then mix with soil for for an all-natural fertilizer for your yard or garden.
- ODOR CONTROL - AbsorbX Odor Filter absorbs odors - first filter is included!
- TITANIUM STAINLESS STEEL – Fingerprint-proof, easy to clean, elegant brushed titanium stainless steel with protective coating. Inner lining is BPA-free, food-safe, and easy to rinse clean.
- LARGE CAPACITY, COMPACT DESIGN – 1. 6 Gallon / 6 Liter capacity holds days' worth of compost. Space-efficient design takes up little counterop space. Dimensions: 6. 6” Deep x 10” Wide x 11. 25” Tall; Opening Width is 8. 25”.
This on-the-counter composting bin comes with an attractive stainless steel finish and green trim. This model features an oval design with a carry handle and a green grip. The top of the composter has “Absorb X” odor prevention technology, with a 1.6-gallon capacity. You get a brushed titanium stainless steel finish that looks attractive on your countertop. This composter measures 6.6″ deep x 10″ wide x 11. 25″ high.
Budget Pick: Indoor Compost Bin
- NO Fruit Flies Compost Pail – Our indoor compost bin designed specifically as a hidden non smelling fruit fly free with super easy access for load and unload. NO charcoal filter costs, NO need, NO odors, NO fruit flies.
- Wall Mount/Under Sink Trash Can – Trash bin easy to install hanging, mount accessory included! Small and perfect fit for most cabinet doors, pantry doors, cupboard, under sinks and countertop.
- Countertop Compost Container - Sturdy, stylish and sleek design complements any decor so that this small kitchen compost bin can sit conveniently on your counter-top or wherever you need it
- Multiple Uses garbage bin – Our small trash can work great with reusable grocery bags. Suitable for kitchen, bathroom, RV, laundry, etc. Space saving and environmentally friendly garbage can.
- Indoor Compost Bucket - Measures 6.9" x 8.3" x 9.6" high, 1.3 gallon/ 5-liter capacity. Made of sturdy and non-toxic plastic, the hanging trash can is durable and easy to clean with soap and water.
This indoor composting bin wins our award for the best budget model in our review. The Mifflin Infinity indoor compost bin features a hanging design, letting you set it up on the back of a cabinet door or the side of a counter. The loud green plastic casing and lid make it easy to determine from other refuse bins in the home. This model comes with an adhesive mounting system and a 2.1-gallon capacity. You get a roll of 50 composting bags included with your purchase.
Kitchen Compost Bin Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the best indoor composting bins available let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at other models that make for excellent examples of the best indoor compost bin. Choose the composter that suits your kitchen design and your composting needs.
YukChuk Under-Counter Indoor Composter
This YukChuk indoor composter wins our award for the best overall model in this review. You get a large 2.5-gallon capacity, with an under-counter design. The rack secures into your cabinet door using an adhesive system, giving you freehand-use of the bin.
There is no charcoal filter required for this model, with an odor-free design that doesn’t attract pests. This model was a feature in Martha Stewarts Living Magazine, and it’s a great choice for large families.
- Featured in Martha Stewart Living Magazine
- Under-counter design
- 2.5-gallon capacity
- Durable plastic body
- Adhesive setup
- No charcoal filter needed
- Doesn’t attract fruit flies
iTouchless Stainless Steel Compost Bin
This indoor composter wins our best premium model in this review. You get a titanium stainless steel design for a tough and durable composter.
This model includes an airtight lid with a charcoal filter included in the design. The composter’s attractive brushed look makes it an attractive choice for modern and contemporary kitchens, with green trim for an eco-friendly appearance.
The AbsorbX filter removes unpleasant odors from the air while ensuring proper airflow inside the compost bin. This model comes with a 1.6-gallon capacity and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Titanium stainless steel design
- Attractive brushed look
- Carry handle with a green grip
- 1.6-gallon capacity
- A carbon filter in the lid
Indoor Compost Bin
This model wins our award for the best budget indoor compost bin in this review. You get a green plastic body for an eco-friendly look and a rotating handle for user-friendly attachment to the wall or cabinet mount.
This under-counter model comes with an adhesive attachment system, with no tools required for setup. The price tag is affordable, and you get a 2.1-gallon capacity for your kitchen waste. This composter comes with 50 free composting bags included with your purchase.
- Green plastic body for dedicated use
- Adhesive mount design
- 50-composting bags included
- 2.1-gallon capacity
- Rotating handle for easy transport
Modern Barnhaus Store Stainless Steel Countertop Composter
This countertop model comes with a premium design and finishes. The turquoise might be somewhat of an eyesore for some, but this is a functional and effective indoor composter if you can get over the color.
You get a stainless steel powder-coated retro design that looks attractive in any style kitchen. This model features plenty of airflow and large carbon filters, with spare filters included with your purchase. You also get 50 compost bags and a composting guide for newbies.
This model features a 1.3-gallon capacity, with an odor-free operation and a fridge magnet with composting tips.
- Stainless steel design
- Turquoise powder-coating
- Odorless and doesn’t attract fruit flies
- Retro design
- Year’s supply of carbon filters included
- 50-compost bags included with purchase
- 1.3-gallon capacity
- Composting guide included
Cooler Kitchen Indoor Composter
This Cooler Kitchen indoor compost bin is another premium design. You get a carbon steel design for durability, with a white, powder-coated finish. This model features an airtight lid with plenty of air holes and a carbon filter system.
This composter is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and produces no odor. You get a set of spare charcoal filters and a 1.3-gallon capacity.
- Stainless steel powder-coated design
- Dishwasher safe
- 1.3-gallon capacity
- Comes with charcoal filters
- Odor-free and won’t attract pests
- Light-lift lid
- Available in white or red
Chef’n EcoCrock Counter Compost Bin
This indoor composting bin comes with a sleek, attractive design. It’s the ideal choice for smaller kitchens, with 0.75-gallon capacity. The ceramic exterior insulates the heat inside the composter, accelerating the composting process.
We like the leaf lid for an aesthetic effect and neutral colors. This model comes with carbon filters to remove any odor and a tapered design.
- Stylish and attractive design
- Available in ceramic or stainless steel finish
- Odor-free and won’t attract fruit flies
- Charcoal filter included
- Novelty plant lid
- Dishwasher safe
Full Circle Fresh Air Kitchen Compost Bin
With this indoor composter, you get a patented design with high-airflow and less odor.
This model features charcoal air filters and five compostable bags with your purchase. The 1.5-gallon capacity makes it suitable for mid-sized to larger families, with a recycled plastic design.
This eco-friendly model features a push-button opening system and comes in your choice of black and white or green slate finish.
- The patented design increases airflow to the compost
- Odor prevention technology
- Easy one-touch button access
- Includes five compost bags
- Easy to clean
- Featuring construction with recycled materials
- Two-color options available
Spigo Indoor Kitchen Compost Bin
This stainless steel indoor compost bin features a white powder-coated finish, with side handles and a tapered, fire-bucket design.
This model offers easy cleaning and comes with a 1-gallon capacity. It’s the ideal choice for couples.
You get an internal basket that easy to remove and dump and an activated charcoal filter for odor prevention.
- Classic fire-bucket design for a retro look
- 1-gallon capacity
- Plastic bucket with steel handles
- Charcoal filters included
- Easy cleaning
- Available in four finishes
EPICA Stainless Steel Compost Bin
This stainless steel indoor composter features a vented filtration system with carbon filters to prevent odors. You get a convenient carry handle and a one-handed opening of the lid.
The stainless steel construction provides a durable finish with a brushed, classic look. This model comes with a 1.3-gallon capacity and a chic modern design for your kitchen.
- Stainless steel finish for corrosion resistance
- Chic modern design
- Natural odor control with an airtight lid
- Easy cleaning
- Charcoal filters included
- 1.3-gallon capacity
Indoor Compost Bin Buyer’s Guide
- AS FEATURED IN BON APPETIT AND FORBES | THE PERFECTLY SIZED COMPOST BIN: Say hello to Epica’s premiere 1-gallon compost bin. The world fell in love with Epica’s perfectly sized marvel, made compact enough to keep on your counter and big enough to hold several days’ worth of compostable organic kitchen. Measures 7.16” in diameter x 11” high.
- SIMPLE CLEANING PROCESS: The stylish stainless steel bin is molded in one piece and resists rust and leaks, unlike other bins that are welded and prone to rust and leakage at the weld points over time. Eco-friendly convenience is always at your fingertips.
- CONTROL ODORS NATURALLY: The airtight lid and replaceable activated-charcoal filter work together to trap and control odors naturally, so your kitchen compost bin can sit conveniently on your countertop or wherever you need it. The chic modern design also complements any decor.
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION TO LAST A LIFETIME: Molded in a single piece for strength and durability that won’t scratch, crack or chip. Made of premium, rust-resistant high grade stainless steel -- will never leach chemicals into your compost.
- COMES WITH REPLACEABLE CHARCOAL FILTER: The specially designed activated-charcoal filter is the key to an odorless indoor compost bin. With careful handling, the filter will last more than 6 months.
- ①【NO ODORS, NO FRUIT FLIES COMPOST BIN】: Indoor compost bin with lid designed specifically as a hidden non smelling fruit fly free. Super easy access for load and unload.The compost bucket is the perfect odorless storage for kitchen waste in your home, NO charcoal filter costs.
- ②【WALL MOUNT/UNDER SINK TRASH CAN】: Trash bin is easy to install hanging, mount accessory ( 1 hook, 2 adhesive hooks and 20pcs trash bag ) included. Small and perfect fit for most cabinet doors, pantry doors, cupboard; The thickness of the door should be less than 0.95 inch(2.5cm). Our trash can is not only perfectly-sized for kitchen countertop, but also fits under sink.
- ③【MATERIAL/DIMENSION/CAPACITY】: Compost Trash Can is made from high density Polypropylene, non-toxic and tasteless, sturdy and durable; Dimension: 10.2 * 6.3 * 11.6inch, Capacity: 2.4 gallon; The Kitchen Pail is easy to clean with soap and water, No crevices for dirt, grime, or liquids to get trapped in.
- ④【WIDE APPLICATION】: Our Compost Bin work great with reusable grocery bags, suitable for kitchen, bathroom, RV, laundry, etc. Space saving and environmentally friendly trash can can sit conveniently wherever you need it.
- ⑤【FREE RISK TOTALLY】: We focus on high quality products and provide favorable clients experiences If you have any problem, please contact us without hesitation. We will give a 100% refund if you are not satisfied with our product, and timely after-sales service provided by our professional services staff in 18-month.
- Convenient size and design for everyday counter-top use
- Lid flips up for easy filling and flips down to lock in odors
- Smooth interior walls prevent foods and liquids from building up
- Contoured bottom and removable lid makes emptying simple
- Rotating handle for easy transport of waste to outdoor composter
- 💝 STYLISH & COMPACT COMPOST BIN - Finally, a beautiful kitchen countertop trash can! At 1 gallon, this counter compost bin is the perfect size to hold a few days of organic scraps while small and stylish enough to complement any kitchen countertop and decor.
- ♻️ OPTIMIZED FOR ZERO WASTE RECYCLING - With two buckets, our small compost bin can be easily removed to discard compost and wash more often. Our ventilating lid and premium plastic body are designed to regulate the best temperature and moisture for composting.
- 🌹 SUPERB ODOR CONTROL - Our unique fruit fly trapping charcoal filters are especially designed to prevent odor leaking and attracting bugs and mice. Plus a smooth composter indoor interior wall which prevents food and liquid from building up.
- 💡 EASY TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN - The inner plastic bucket is dishwashable and the filters can be reused and quickly washed with warm water and soap. Friendly and odorless kitchen composter indoor has never been this easy!
- 💎 STURDY & DURABLE MATERIALS - The compost caddy is made with anti-rust stainless steel. BONUS: Product comes with 2 odor trapping filters. The charcoal activated filters can last up to 6 months.
- Premium Material: High Grade metal material with protective coating and molded in one piece-Rustproof, Leakproof and won't leach toxic chemicals into your compost.
- Large Capacity: 1.3 Gallons, Max D:7.5"x H:8.5" large enough for temporarily collecting your kitchen waste
- Odor Free: Designed with replaced charcoal filter and lid blocks odor naturally which allows you to place this compost bucket on your countertop in weeks until it is full.
- Easy clean and Easy Handling:Just wash composter container with warm soapy water, and then gently wipe the lid with a damp cloth after use; the swivel handle for easy carrying.
- This Stylish Indoor Composting Bin collects biodegradable waste(fruit scraps, coffee grounds), and food waste to provide pure natural fertilizer for your yard or garden.
Indoor Compost Bin Buyer’s Guide
You crack some free-range eggs over the pan to fry yourself a few sunny-side-up while you wait for the toaster. After placing the eggs in the pan, you look down at the eggshells. You think back to the hundreds you threw away over the years, and wonder if you could have done something better with the waste than send it to the landfill.
Home composting allows you to take your kitchen waste and recycle it into fertilizer for your garden. Many gardeners have a compost heap in the corner of the garden somewhere. Tossing in leaves and biomass waste from your garden is a great way to return the nutrients to the earth.
Different composting methods produce a similar effect of creating a nutrient-rich fertilizer for your yard. Not everyone has the space for a compost heap in their garden, but they might still have a few flowerbeds. Instead of spending money on plant food this year, why not give your flowers and shrubs a homemade organic compost instead?
After reading through the best indoor compost bin reviews, you’re probably wondering which model is the right choice for your home. In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about indoor compost bins and how they work.
What Is Composting and Why Do I Need It Inside My Home?
Composting isn’t rocket science. By adding your kitchen scraps to a sealed container, you start the decomposition process of the biomass. Many homeowners keep a container inside their homes for their kitchen scraps. You empty the container into your compost heap in your garden every few days.
If you have an outdoor compost heap in your yard, chances are you’re adding to it all the time. However, most people keep a container in the kitchen to hold the scraps before taking them to the larger pile outside. Old ice-cream containers are popular choices, and they are terrible for holding kitchen scraps.
However, these containers do not have a composting design. Instead, they end up attracting pests into the kitchen. The day after filling the container, you’ll come back to a kitchen full of fruit flies. If you want to keep your kitchen scraps in a sanitary disposal unit before sending it to the compost heap, and indoor compost heap is a great idea.
There are various reasons why you might want to invest in an indoor compost bin for your home. Here are a few advantages of this waste disposal system.
- Creating compost is an environmentally-friendly activity.
- Reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
- You don’t need any special skills for composting.
- Compost gives you an organic means of fertilizing your flowerbeds.
- Adding compost to the soil improves its nutrient profile for better floral displays.
- Save money on fertilizing your flowerbeds this season.
There are plenty of advantages to keeping an indoor compost bin, and this only scratches the surface of the benefits it gives your garden. However, if you have a small yard and no compost heap, and indoor compost bin allows you to create organic compost for your garden indoors.
There’s no reason why you can complete the composting process in your kitchen. To ensure the best results and avoid your kitchen smelling like a rubbish dump, you’ll need to use a dedicated indoor composting bin.
These bins are not like your average trash bin. They feature airflow and air-scrubbing designs that allow for the composting process inside the bin, without any odor getting into the kitchen. Your compost bin offers the right balance of airflow, temperature, and moisture to change the biomass into viable gardening material.
How Does an Indoor Composter Work?
Composters work by allowing microbes to consume the biomass, breaking it down into its natural elements. As a result, the material doesn’t rot and become a slimy, disgusting mess. The microbes provide a living soil effect to the process, ensuring the biomass degrades without causing a hygiene hazard.
When efficient composition occurs in a composting bin, bringing together the right biomass ingredients, you can create organic fertilizer for your garden. The microbes break the matter down into two primary constituents.
- Carbon – These “Brown” waste materials provide energy for the microbes living in the compost. Fibrous materials like wood scraps, chips, and straw are good examples of browns. You’ll need to add the “browns” to the “greens” in a 30:1 ratio for best composting results.
- Nitrogen – These “Green” waste materials provide the micro-organisms in the compost with protein, helping them multiply. The greens provide a catalytic effect to your compost pile, bringing heat to the process as they decompose. Organic materials like banana peels, coffee grinds, tea bags, and the like are examples of carbon-rich kitchen waste.
Microbes and Organisms
The microbes are the powerhouse of your indoor compost bin. These micro-organisms control the temperature of the compost pile. If you notice that the compost is getting too “hot,” it’s because of excess greens in the mix. Start adding more browns to the composter to cool it down.
Adding microbe mixes to your composter is a great way to create a cooling effect. Nurseries and hardware stores keep sachets of microbes to add to your composter. Sprinkle the directed amount into your bin, and they let the microbes do their thing.
All indoor organic composters need some form of ventilation. It doesn’t need to be much, but you can seal the composter entirely of everything rots. It might surprise you to learn composting is just a slow form of burning.
Burning material requires oxygen to sustain the process, and ensuring the compost bin has some air-intake feature is critical for the best results,
Microbes require the compost to be wet if you want them to survive. It’s important to note that you need the right balance of moisture.
Too much moisture drowns the microbes, ruining your compost. Your compost should feel like a moist sponge; if it’s dry, add a few sprinkles of water by wetting your hand and shaking it into the compost bin.
As they consume the biomass, the microbes create heat energy, increasing the bin’s ambient temperature, speeding the decomposition process. Even small piles of compost produce heat, so it’s important to stick to the 30:1 ratio and keep the compost moist.
If you’re using your indoor compost bin to collect your waste and transfer it to the compost heap in the yard, wait until the container gets full before emptying it. For people composting indoors, you’ll need to go through the entire composting process in your kitchen.
It can take two to four months to turn your biomass into compost. After the process finishes, take it outdoors and spread it in the garden. Clean and line the composter, and start again.
What Can I Add to My Indoor Composter?
You can add any sort of organic biomass to your indoor compost bin—banana peels, apple cores, spinach stalks, etc. However, there are a few things you can’t put in the composter.
- Oily meat or vegetable scraps
- Any dairy products
- Seeds of invasive plant species
- Diseased plant matter
- Peels from citrus fruits
If you add these materials to your composter, it results in a decaying mass that smells terrible. The material won’t degrade into compost; it will rot. The result is a slimy, black, stinking mass filled with maggots – sounds great, right?
Make sure you stick to the correct additions and keep an eye on your composter to check if everything is working out alright.
What Is a Bokashi System?
Bokashi is a Japanese technology handed down over generations. The practice involves the use of fermentative probiotic micro-organisms to consume the biomass material, like the process in traditional composting methods.
However, with Bokashi, you use a specialized “Brown” material with your composting mix. This material provides the ideal substrate for composting microbes to thrive. Bokashi is an effective indoor composting method delivering excellent results.
If you don’t want to go with Bokashi for your indoor composter, we recommend choosing organic materials like paper, straw, and cardboard for your “browns.” When adding these materials t your composter, make sure you shred them into smaller pieces first.
Smaller pieces decompose faster, reducing your total composting time. The less surface area in your composter area, the faster the biomass degrades.
How to Select an Indoor Compost Bin
The best indoor compost bin models come in various shapes, sizes, capacities, and materials. There are designs to suit any kitchen style, whether you have contemporary, modern, rustic, or traditional décor in your kitchen.
When selecting your ideal kitchen composter, you have the option of choosing under-counter, countertop, or freestanding composting bins. Choose the composter that suits your kitchen space and design.
What Kind of Materials Feature in Indoor Compost Bins?
You have the option of selecting your compost bin in a variety of materials and finishes. From ceramic to stainless steel, there’s a design to suit your kitchen décor.
- Carbon Steel or Stainless Steel – These materials are durable and sturdy, providing your composter with a classy look. Carbon steel typically requires powder coating for it to be rust-resistant. However, most manufacturers avoid carbon steel due to its weight. Stainless steel provides a better rust-resistant material, with a lightweight feel and polished or brushed finish that looks fantastic.
- Ceramics – Choosing a ceramic model provides a classy look to your composter. Most ceramic models are suitable for countertop use. The ceramic provides an insulating effect to the composter, increasing the composting effect. Ceramic also retains the heat, keeping the surface of the composter cool. Ceramic is durable, but it might crack or chip if you accidentally drop it.
- Plastics – Plastic or other polymer-type composting bins are a lightweight and popular choice for a home model. These composters feature design and construction with BPA-free materials and attractive colors. Make sure you’re buying a quality plastic composter from a reputable manufacturer. Some models can have odors penetrate the plastic over time, causing a lingering smell in the kitchen.
Which Size Indoor Compost Bin Do I Need?
When picking out your compost bin, you’ll need to size it to fit the space in your kitchen. If you’re going with a door-mounted model for use inside cabinets, make sure you measure the cabinet space first. If you’re installing it under the sink, make sure you have enough room to account for the volume when closing the cabinet doors.
If you’re choosing a countertop model, you have more room to work with in your kitchen. Select a model that suits your kitchen space. We recommend going with a smaller capacity of 1-gallon or under for your countertop composter.
The charcoal filter scrubs the air leaving the composter, removing any unpleasant odors. Without the filter, your kitchen will smell like a compost heap. Most models feature the carbon filter mounted into the lid. You can replace the carbon filter every 3 to 6-months or when you start to notice things smelling funny in the kitchen.
Look for models that include extra filters with your purchase. Some bins may also include composting liners with the bin.
Your compost bin needs air to enhance the composting process. With no air, you get no compost; you have a dustbin instead. However, the composter doesn’t need much air to keep the process moving.
Most models feature air holes in the lid, allowing air to pass into and out of the container. However, most composters do come with airtight lids. This airtight lid helps control the amount of oxygen entering and leaving the composter, preventing odors leaking into the kitchen.
Which Indoor Compost Bin Suits Your Composting Method?
Are you thinking about vermicomposting or aerobic composting? Vermicomposting involves the use of worms to break down the material alongside the microbes. The results are an extremely fast composting process. As the worms eat the material, they create casting for fertilizer. Worm castings are a rich source of nutrients for your plants, and a better choice to traditional composting.
We already cover Bokashi composting and how this ancient Japanese method provides an excellent composting effect. Traditional composting is the most popular choice for homeowners, and a great way to give nutrients back to the garden.
How Long Does It Take to Make Compost?
The composting process takes time, and you can expect to wait anywhere up to 6-months for the process to finish. The process’s speed depends on the type of kitchen waste you use, the composting method, and the compost bin.
It might take you a batch or two to get the hang of creating the perfect compost for your yard. However, once you get it right, your flowerbeds will look spectacular for years to come.
Indoor Compost Bin FAQs
How do I keep bugs away from my indoor composter?
Fruit flies and pests love the smell of rotting kitchen waste, and they’ll set up shop around your composter if it stinks. Choose a model with an airtight lid and charcoal filters to keep the flies away.
Will my indoor compost bin smell bad?
Thanks to the carbon filter, most composters don’t produce any smell. However, if you choose a model that doesn’t cause the biomass to heat up, it results in the scraps’ rotting and a slimy mess in the composter.
Does my indoor compost bin need ventilation?
Most indoor composters feature design that lets you hold a few days’ of kitchen waste. After that, you’ll have to send it to the compost heap outside. Indoor compost bins allow some air into the housing, controlling the odor using a carbon filter. The filter scrubs the air leaving the container, removing any unpleasant smells.
Where do I buy my indoor compost bin?
We recommend you purchase the best indoor compost bin from Amazon. Amazon has the best range of composters at the best prices. They offer speedy shipping for Prime members and easy returns. If you have an issue, Amazon offers buyer protection and the best customer service.
Compost Bin Reviews – The Verdict
By now, you should have a good idea of the best indoor compost bin for your kitchen. There are models to suit any size kitchen in this review, with varying capacities to suit your waste disposal and composting needs. However, we realize that even with
a curated selection of the best indoor composters, it’s still challenging to settle on your preferred choice.
If you’re still on the fence with your decision, why not rely on one of our top picks? We have models to suit any size kitchen or budget.
The YukChuk Under-Counter Indoor Composter wins our award for the best overall indoor compost bin. This model features a convenient attachment system that screws into your cabinet door under the sink. The removable body makes it easy to clean and change the composting bag. We like the slimline design and the odor-free use that doesn’t attract pests. This model features a 1.5-gallon capacity suitable for mid-sized families.
The iTouchless Stainless Steel Compost Bin takes the title of the best premium model in this review. This countertop composter features a titanium stainless steel finish with a brushed effect for a classy look. The iTouchless composter comes with a 1.6-gallon capacity and an oval shape. This large model caters to large families, and it comes with a charcoal filter for odor prevention.
The Mifflin Infinity Indoor Compost Bin wins our top award for the best budget buy in this review. You get a 2.1-gallon capacity for large families and a sturdy plastic body. The compost bin comes with a door attachment and adhesive mounting for an under-counter design. This model is user-friendly, with a rotating handle.