If you have an outdoor spa or hot tub, a cover is necessary to maintain and protect your tub. It prevents leaves, dirt, and other garden debris from getting in the water. However, it’s also important to use one on an indoor model to avoid contamination.
The tub cover keeps out the debris, but it doesn’t stop the tub from fading, especially if it’s in the sun. A hot tub cover protects your hot tub from the elements, ensuring it stays clean and in working order.
Using a hot tub lid and cover extends the water-life in the tub while making it more efficient. The result is you save on the running costs of your hot tub while extending its service life. If debris enters the pump and filter system, it causes blockages and inefficiencies that result in malfunctions and breakdowns.
A hot tub cover is a must-have item, and there are dozens of models to choose from online. From simple canvas designs to advanced caddy covers, there’s a model to cover your tub. This review looks at the best hot tub cover for your home.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Hot Tub Cover Reviews
- 2.1 ULTcover Hot Tub Cover
- 2.2 Cover Valet Spa Cover Lift and Caddy
- 2.3 Himal Hot Tub Cover
- 2.4 Covermates Hot Tub Cover
- 2.5 Classic Accessories Ravenna Hot Tub Cover
- 2.6 Duck Covers Hot Tub Cover
- 2.7 Porch Shield Hot Tub Cover
- 2.8 Budge Hot Tub Cover
- 2.9 Pool Spa Part Hot Tub Cover
- 2.10 TOPINCN Hot Tub Cover
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Hot Tub Cover Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Hot Tub Cover FAQs
- 6 The Verdict
There are dozens of hot tub brands and designs, with a huge selection at online retailers. We picked out these ten models from the dozens of listings to represent the best we could find for your hot tub.
From those ten, we chose these three models as the best hot tub covers. We have the best overall, premium, and budget model to suit any hot tub and any budget.
- The Best Pick: ULTcover Hot Tub Cover
The Ultcover wins our award for the best overall hot tub cover in this review. You get a range of sizes to suit 76″ to 95″ hot tubs and a durable canvas design. This model includes a 600D polyester fabric that’s waterproof and stain-resistant.
- The Premium Pick: Cover Valet Spa Cover Lift and Caddy
This model is the best premium hot tub cover available. You get an under-cabinet design, providing a universal fit for all hot tub models. There’s gas-spring assistance for easy cover removal and adjustable raising and lowering of the lid during storage.
- The Budget Pick: Himal Square Hot Tub Cover
Homeowners looking for the best budget hot tub cover in this review will get the most value out of this Himal model. This hot tun cover comes with design and construction featuring durable 600D Polyester, with Uv Protection that’s waterproof and breathable, preventing mold growth under the cover.
Hot Tub Cover Reviews
Now that you have an idea of our top hot tub covers let’s unpack these models in detail. We’ll also look at other hot tub covers we feel are excellent choices for your home. Choose the model that suits your hot tub’s size and design, and pick a color that suits your décor.
If you need guidance on choosing the right cover for your hot tub, check out our buyer’s guide section. We’ll give you more tips on choosing the right model to suit your hot tub.
ULTcover Hot Tub Cover
This model wins our award for the best overall hot tub cover. You get a range of sizes to suit any size, from 76″ to 95″ models. This cover comes with design and construction featuring 600D polyester canvas for a rugged and weatherproof finish. This model is stain-resistant and won’t fade in the sun.
You get your choice of black or tan colors and secure fitment using the quick-release buckle system. The elastic hem provides a custom fit to the edge of your hot tub, with a snug fit. This model includes welded seams that offer a watertight finish.
This ULTcover includes air vents to prevent mold growth under the cover, without lifting it off in windy conditions. You get a 3-year warranty, providing taped seams and double stitching for long service life.
- Available in various sizes from 76″ to 95″
- Air vents to prevent mold growth
- Polyester canvas fabric
- 100% waterproof
- Non-scratch fitment and removal
Cover Valet Spa Cover Lift and Caddy
This Cover Caddy model is the ideal premium choice in this review. This model features design and construction with an aluminum, powder-coated finish; this hot tub lid is strong and corrosion-resistant. You get a spring-assisted lift for effortless removal of the hot tub lid in seconds and dedicated storage on the side of the tub.
The cover caddy lid’s unique design allows for simple installation to an array of hot tub sizes and shapes. Homeowners will love the under-mount base plate and cabinet design, providing a fast installation.
This model suits hot tubs up to 40″ in height, with a durable leather cover that’s scratch resistant. The internal panels of the lid feature fitment with premium insulation for fast heating times. You get a long service life thanks to the chemically resistant polymer used in the lid design.
- Spring-assisted setup and removal
- Under-mount cabinet design
- For spas 30″ to 40″ in height
- Design and construction with powder-coated aluminum
- Easy installation
Himal Hot Tub Cover
This Himal model takes home the award for the best budget hot tub cover in this review. This model comes with design and construction featuring 600D premium polyester. The material offers excellent water resistance, and the welded seams give added weather protection to this hot tub cover.
You get a tight bottom skiting strap with quick-release buckles for secure fitment in high wind conditions. The Himal hot tub cover features pressure-glued internal seams for strength and reliability, and you can expect a long service life thanks to the double-stitching on the seams.
This model includes A bottom skirting strap that’s adjustable for a secure fit and air vents on either side of the cover to improve airflow and prevent mold growth. The hook and loop fastener system inside the cover prevents drafts from lifting it off the tub in high winds. This model is excellent value for money, but it’s only available for 85″x85″ or 95″x 95″
- 600D polyster
- waterproof and UV protection
- Air vents to prevent mold growth
- Elasticated trim for secure fitment
Covermates Hot Tub Cover
This Covermates hot tub cover features design and construction with durable 12-gauge vinyl material for a rugged, weatherproof finish. This model includes a waterproof design with excellent UV fade resistance.
The elasticated bottom on this model provides a secure, snug fir to the hot tub’s underside. You get a custom fit to suit and square, rectangular, or round hot tub between 80″ to 92″ in diameter. The polyester lining inside the cover ensures you get a scratch-free fitment and removal, with easy folding and storage.
This model is a good choice for outdoor tubs away from the patio. The heavy-duty 12-gauge vinyl ensures that you get a tear-resistant cover, and the custom fit from the elasticated trim ensures a secure fit in high wind conditions.
- Available in sizes to fit hot tubs from 80″ to 92″
- Waterproof 12-gauge vinyl construction
- Comes in four color choices
- Elasticated secure fit
- 2-year warranty
Classic Accessories Ravenna Hot Tub Cover
This CA Ravenna hot tub cover is another fantastic choice for square hot tubs. You get universal fitment for 76″ to 92″ tubs, with medium and large sizes to suit your specific model. This cover features design and construction with durable, weather-resistant Gardelle One woven polyester fabric.
The laminated backing on the cover provides water protection and a non-scratch fitment and removal from your tub. The interior seams feature double stitching and welding for extra strength and durability, giving you a long service life.
This model includes side air vents to improve airflow and prevent mold growth under the cover. The trim of the hot tub cover features and elasticated material, with quick-release buckles for easy and secure fitment in high wind conditions.
- Two sizes for small and large hot tubs
- Woven polyester fabric
- Laminated backing for waterproofing
- Elasticated hem for secure fitment
- Air vents to prevent mold growth
Duck Covers Hot Tub Cover
This hot tub cover offers you high-strength materials with waterproofing and stain resistance. You get taped and double-stitched internal seams for extra resilience and water resistance, as well as a range of sizes, to suit square hot tubs between 86″ to 94″.
The non-scratch internal lining keeps your hot tub looking great, offering easy removal and fitment. The trim on the cover’s edge features an elasticated cord with a locking system for a secure fit. The 14-inch depth on this model ensures a snug fit, and the cover won’t blow off in high winds.
However, this cover doesn’t feature air vents. Therefore, we recommend it for use in drier regions around the United States.
- Suits 94″ hot tubs
- High-strength waterproof materials
- Double-stitched seams for durability
- Elasticated hem for a secure fit
- Tape-sealed seams
- Two-year warranty
Porch Shield Hot Tub Cover
The Porch Shield hot tub cover features design and construction with durable 600D nylon canvas. This model features excellent tear and stain-resistance, and it’s waterproof. You get a range of sizes to suit tubs between 80″ to 90″, with a snug fit, thanks to the elasticated trim and quick-release buckles.
The cover interior features a non-scratch lining and double-stitch, taped seams for additional strength, resilience, and waterproofing. This model features air vents on the side so f the cover, allowing more airflow under the cover to prevent mold growth.
The sliders and woven side handles make for easy fitment and removal of the cover, and it folds away for compact storage. This model comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty, and it won’t fade in the sun.
- Taped, waterproof seams
- Air vents to prevent mold growth
- Quick-release buckles for secure fitment in high winds
- Sliders for a custom fit
- 3-year warranty
Budge Hot Tub Cover
The Budge hot tub cover comes with a stylish design, featuring grey materials with black piping for an eye-pleasing aesthetic. You get design and construction with premium 600D polyester materials, providing a stain-resistant, tough cover that stands up to sun fading and harsh weather.
The internal double-stitched and taped seams provide extra strength and resilience to the cover while enhancing waterproofing. This model’s sides include air vents, allowing for airflow under the cover, preventing mold growth.
This model comes in medium and large sizes, with a customizable fit to your hot tub. You get an elasticated trim for a secure fit that won’t blow away in high winds. This model features a UV resistant coating that won’t fade in the sun and fitment to hot tubs up to 86″ in size.
- Available in two sizes, medium and large
- 600D polyester materials
- Ultrasonically welded seams
- UV-resistant and waterproof
- Stylish design with dark piping trim
Pool Spa Part Hot Tub Cover
This model is a great choice to fit any size hot tub. You have a range of sizes to suit tubs from 76″ to 95″, with premium 600D nylon polyester fabric for the cover. This model’s internal liner features a TPU backing that’s scratch resistant and more durable than PVC.
This model features a waterproof design, with internally taped seams featuring double-stitching. You get a rugged and tough hot tub cover with eye-pleasing aesthetic and clean lines. This model features an elasticated trim and lock for a snug fit, with buckles and sliders to customize it to your hot tub design.
There are air vents on the sides to enhance airflow and prevent mold growth, with excellent resistance to fading and UV rays. This model is the best option for outdoor hot tubs, operating in conditions as low as -15C.
- Multiple sizes from 76″ to 95″
- Wind secure elasticated trim
- Wind belts for a customized fit
- Air vents to prevent mold growth
- UV resistant, waterproof material
- Tape sealed seams
TOPINCN Hot Tub Cover
Homeowners looking for an affordable, basic hot tub cover will get the best value from this TOPINCIN model. You get color options in “coffee” and black, with adjustable fitment to 90″ hot tubs.
The cover features premium 190T materials providing a waterproof and durable cover for your tub.
The bottom of the cover features elasticated trim for a customizable, secure fit in high wind conditions. This model offers easy fitment and removal, with simple cleaning and maintenance.
This model folds away for compact storage and is suitable for use in indoor and outdoor hot tubs.
- Comes in two color options
- 190T silver-coated waterproof fabric
- Elasticated trim for a secure fit
- UV resistant
Other Best Selling Options
- HIGH QUALITY CRAFTMANSHIP - The Cover Guy takes pride in manufacturing a high quality spa cover to reduce energy bills and eliminate waterlogging. The superior craftsmanship and design of our spa covers comes from over 30 years of manufacturing experience.
- CUSTOM MADE TO FIT LIKE A GLOVE - Customize your cover to the size you need. See measuring instructions video and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Your order will be moved to production next business day. Sorry no changes after this.
- REDUCES YOUR ENERGY BILLS - Our cleverly designed hot tub covers pay for themselves in energy savings alone! Made from quality high-density foam and marine-grade vinyl, our lightweight spa covers are designed to lock in the heat and keep out the cold, while allowing rain, ice and snow run off.
- BUILT FOR ALL CLIMATES INCLUDING WINTERS - The high-density foam means this reinforced spa protector can withstand heavy loads; be it snowfall or animals! It also comes with 4 lockable tie downs strategically placed so you have complete peace of mind that your little ones will be safe around your hot tub.
- 7-YEAR WARRANTY - We're confident you'll be over the moon with your new spa cover. But to give you extra peace of mind, it comes with a 7 year pro-rated warranty.
- 【Ultra Waterproof】 Made of 600D premium polyester fabric with excellent PU coating which can achieve 100% impervious water.Durable waterproof jacuzzi cover.
- 【Universal Size】 Fits most square hot tubs with covers up to 85''(L) x 85''(W) x 20''(H).
- 【Multiple Windproof】 Elastic rope makes the cover fit the outdoor hot tub more tightly.Premium adjustable slider buckles at both sides further ensure that the SPA cover is not blown away even in high winds and severe weather.
- 【Breathable Design】 The air vents at two sides stay open to prevent your cover condensed.
- 【Fully Pretection】 Fully coverage protection to prevent your hot tubs from sunshine,rain,hail,snow,dust and so on.
- Guaranteed to fit hot tub size up to 85”(L)x 85”(W), Actual cover size is 87”(L)x87”(W)x20”(H). NOTE: This cover can not be used by itself without an insulated hard cover under it.
- Made of top quality 600D polyester canvas complex with waterproof backing. Tough enough to keep rain, hail, snow, dust, leaves and bird droppings away.
- ULTCOVER provides 3 years warranty and guarantees to be 100% waterproof with seams taped, it’s a “WATERPROOF & BREATHABLE” cover.
- Well-made structured air vents at two sides stay open to prevent wind lofting. Heavy duty elastic cords allows adjustment for a tight and easier fit, especially during high winds and severe weather.
- 100% coverage design avoids the furniture exposure in the sun makes your hot tub always look like new.
Hot Tub Cover Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the best hot tub cover models, you probably have an idea of the right model for your tub. This section will give you more information on the types of hot tub covers and what to look for in a prospective model.
What are the Types of Hot Tub Covers?
Hot Tub Lids
Lids typically come with most hot tubs as part of the setup. They offer users a fixed flat surface for covering the tub when not in use. Some models come with a lid as standard, while others require you to purchase it as an optional extra for your tub.
Hot tub lids feature design and construction with lightweight plastic or aluminum materials, allowing for easy removal and fitment. The lid comes packed with insulation to prevent heat loss coming from the tub. As a result, you can pre-heat the tub faster than with an open design.
Hot Tub Covers
Hot tub covers fit over the tub and the lid. They offer weatherproof protection for your hot tub. Most covers are waterproof and weather-resistant features tie-downs and elasticated edges for wind resistance.
Some hot tub covers suit use without a hot tub top, while most require you to have a lid fitted to your hot tub already. Covers are ideal for protecting the tub from the rain and suns rays, stopping the fading and premature wearing of the hot tub materials.
What Do I Need to Look for When Choosing the Best Hot Tub Cover?
- Size – What size is your hot tub? Make sure you take the correct measurements before ordering your cover. Most manufacturers offer a range of sizes to suit any tub.
- Shape – Choose the right shape for your tub. Manufacturers offer round, square, and rectangular covers for all brands of hot tubs. Some models offer universal fitment to any shape or hot tub design.
- Color – Most hot tub covers come in dark or earthy materials to match the décor on your patio or the wood in your hot tub.
- Height – Choose a hot tub cover that has the correct height for the sides of your tub.
- Your Budget – Hot tub covers come at a range of price points. Some models retail for less than $30, while others can cost hundreds of dollars. Set a budget for your hot tub cover and stick to it.
What are the Top Features of a Hot Tub Cover?
- Materials – When selecting the best hot tub cover, make sure you choose a model with top-quality materials. Most models should feature design and construction with durable nylon or polyester fabrics, providing a hard-wearing cover that’s scratch and tear-resistant. Look for models that offer 600 Denier materials for the best protection for your hot tub.
- Waterproofing and Weatherproofing – Your hot tub cover needs to keep the rain and sun off your hot tub. Therefore, you need a waterproof material and UV-resistant coating for your hot tub cover. Some models come with treated fabrics to improve rain runoff for outdoor hot tubs.
- Anti-Scratch Liner – The last thing you need is your cover, putting scratches on your hot tub. The liner of your hot tub cover should feature design and construction with non-scratch materials like PVC and TPU that are gentle on your tub’s frame.
- Welded Seams and Double-Stitching – The corners and edges of your hot tub cover require sealing and double-stitching for extra strength, extending the service life of your cover. Your cover takes plenty of abuse over the years, and poorly constructed seams will start falling apart after a year or so of use.
- Elasticated Fit – The trim on the hot tub cover needs an elasticated cord with a locking system to create a snug fit for the cover on your hot tub. The elasticated design allows you to easily fit the cover, giving you less chance of lift-off in high-wind conditions.
- Buckle Systems – Buckle and slider system help you customize the fit, adding extra wind resistance in stormy weather conditions. Look for models featuring quick-release buckles and handy sliders for any easy setup and removal of the cover. All you need to do to get a custom fit for your tub is pull on the tail to tighten the strap.
- Hook-and-Loop Fasteners – Hook and loop fasteners make it easy to fit the cover to your hot tub. Look in the corners of the cover to see if the manufacturer includes this feature. Hook and loop fasteners add extra convenience to set up your cover and a secure fit for high-wind conditions.
- Support for Cover Lifters – If you’re purchasing a lid for your hot tub, make sure it comes with a support stand. The stand should offer universal fitment to any side of the tub. It also needs to provide easy removal and fitment of the hot tub lid. Some models fit under the hot tub cabinet when not in use.
- Air Vents – Look at the sides of your hot tub cover to see if the manufacturer includes air vents. Air vents allow air to move freely under the cover, without lifting it off in high-wind conditions. Improving airflow under the cover prevents mold growth on the lid and cover liner.
- Easy Fitment – Your hot tub should come with easy fitment and compact storage. Most models feature a folding design, allowing you to stow them in the hot tub’s cabinet. The last thing you need after a relaxing soak is a hassle with fitting the hot tub cover.
- Finish and Look – The hot tub cover becomes a fixture of your outdoor décor. Therefore, you need it to look respectable, especially if you have a tub on your patio or any other living space in your home. Choose models with attractive colors that blend into the color theme around your patio or home.
- Warranty – Most manufacturers include some sort of warranty with the cover. The best warranty we could find was for three years on any manufacturing defects.
- Customer Service – Choose a model that comes with excellent customer service. If you have a problem with fitting the cover, you can ask them for help. Customer service agents are also beneficial if you need to return the cover for whatever reason.
Hot Tub Cover FAQs
How often do I change the water in my hot tub?
As a rule, we recommend cleaning your hit tub and replacing the water every three to four months. If you use the tub frequently, you might want to change the water every four to six weeks.
Treating the spa with chemicals can do a lot to preserve the water for a few weeks or months. However, after a while, the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water make it challenging to achieve the right balance. As a result, you’ll need to drain the tub and refill it with fresh water.
Can I use a hot tub if I have a pacemaker?
No. People dealing with any heart issue should avoid hot tubs and saunas that quickly raise body temperature. The sudden increase in heat can cause cardiac arrest.
Do hot tub covers get waterlogged?
Hot tub lids can experience waterlogging if there is damage to the cover, exposing the insulating material. As a result, the water penetrates the insulation, causing waterlogging.
The aging of polyethylene covers also breaks down the material barrier, causing it to turn permeable.
After five to seven years of regular use, the water’s chemicals start to leach into the polyethylene cover. This action allows water vapor to pass through the material and soak the insulation.
Where do I purchase the best hot tub cover?
We recommend ordering the best hot tub cover from Amazon. Amazon has the best customer service and a hassle-free returns policy. You won’t find these hot tub covers at a better price anywhere online, and Amazon has the best product range. Prime members get fast, free shipping to their door and buyer protection on your order.
By now, you should have a good idea of the right model to suit your tub. However, if you’re having trouble choosing the best hot tub cover from the listing in this review, why not go with one of our top picks?
- The ULTcover Hot Tub Cover is our top choice for the best overall hot tub cover in this review. This model fits over your existing hot tub lid to provide weatherproof protection. The durable 600D polyester fabric is waterproof and stain-resistant, keeping the bird droppings off while protecting your hot tub from the sun’s UV rays.
- The Cover Valet Spa Cover Lift and Caddy is our choice for the best hot tub cover. This model comes with an insulated lid and spring-assist for easy setup and storage. You get a durable, powder-coated finish that corrosion-resistant and ideal for indoor or outdoor use. Combining this lid with the ULTcover is a great way to provide the ultimate protection for an outdoor hot tub.
- The Himal Square Hot Tub Cover wins our nomination for the best budget hot tub cover in this review. You get a design and construction with durable 600D polyster materials with a PVC treatment for stain resistance and waterproofing. This model comes with a vented design to improve airflow under the cover, preventing mold growth.