A hose reel takes the hard work out of your watering schedule. All you need to do is pull it from the reel, and water your garden. After finishing up, the hose automatically coils itself into the reel, no mess no fuss.
There’s plenty of benefits to using a hose reel apart from the convenience factor. Hoses can get damaged in the hot sun, and with a hose reel, you get to store it away from the sun’s harmful UV rays. As a result, your hose lasts longer, and you don’t have to worry about it weathering and cracking when you leave it in the sun.
If you’re thinking about investing in your garden equipment, start with a hose reel. Our guide to hose reels gives you everything you need to know about these reels to make an informed purchase decision.
We reviewed the top-10 hose reels available. Read through the options and choose one that suits your garden.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Hose Reels Reviews
- 3 Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- 4 Goodyear Hybrid Flex Polymer Hose Reel
- 5 Suncast PW100 Powerwind
- 6 Ames Estate Hose Wagon
- 7 Coxreels 1125-4-200
- 8 Ames NeverLeak Decorative Metal Hose Cart
- 9 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose
- 10 Flo-Master Retractable Hose Reel
- 11 Suncast RSW125D Aquawinder
- 12 ReelWorks Reel 27807153A
- 13 Other Best Selling Options
- 14 Hose Reels Buyer’s Guide
- 15 Hose Reels FAQ
- 16 Conclusion
If you are in a hurry, here are our top picks. We’ll go more in-depth on each of these hose reels in our main list, but they made our top three picks for best overall, the runner up, and the best budget hose reel.
- The Best Overall: Giraffe Retractable Hose Reel
The unit features a smooth pull and winding system.
The reel includes the Hoselink easy-connect, no-leak fittings.
The unit includes 130-feet of braided 9/16″ hose, featuring brass threading on connections.
7-function spray gun included.
Swivel bracket attaches to the wall, providing a 180-degree range of motion.
- The Runner Up: Ames NeverLeak Metal Hose Cart
This hose reel is easy to move around the garden with it’s 2 wheels.
The best hose reel for use on large gardens and estates.
The hose basket houses a hose up to 400-feet long.
Durable steel construction.
- The Budget Pick: Ayleid Retractable Garden Hose Reel
Spring-loaded housing for slower retraction, and a stopper to prevent over-winding.
Swivel bracket attaches to the wall, providing a 180-degree range of motion.
Easy to remove from the mounting bracket, with a handle for easy portability.
The reel Includes a 65-foot 3/5″ hose with threaded brass connectors.
The hose includes an 9-function spray nozzle.
Hose Reels Reviews
Now, here’s the rundown of our top 10 picks, why we chose each item & the pros & cons.
Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel
The Giraffe Automatic Retractable Garden Hose Reel offers gardeners a complete watering solution for their yard. This hose and reel system comes with the hose included, with the retractable hose measuring out to a length of 130-feet.
The reel features an automated spring-loaded retraction system, giving you smooth and effortless removal of the hose from the reel. The long hose length is suitable for most smaller gardens and single-family homes.
The garden hose features braided, reinforced hose with a 9/16-inch diameter. The system includes a spray gun with seven watering settings to suit any watering application. Mount your Hoselink reel on the wall of your home, with all hardware included in the box.
The reel mounting allows 180—degree movement to let you move around your garden with ease while watering.
- The system includes a hose and reel.
- 130-foot, 9/16-inch hose diameter with reinforced braiding.
- The system includes a metal spray gun featuring seven settings.
- The system includes a wall-mounting bracket.
- All hardware included for installation.
- This system is pricy, but it does include a hose.
Goodyear Hybrid Flex Polymer Hose Reel
When you think of Goodyear, you probably imagine a set of tires, ort a blimp floating in the sky. However, the company also makes hoses and hose reels for your garden as well. It should come as no surprise that this setup is suitable for watering, and as an air hose, you can link to a compressor.
The hose included on the reel measures out at 50-feet in length, with a diameter of 3/8-inches, making it smaller than most other garden hoses in this review. However, we doubt that the smaller size will affect the performance of the hose, especially if you’re watering a small garden.
The lightweight and durable construction provides year-round protection for your hose in any weather conditions. The automatic retraction of this hose is fantastic, with no kinking. Lock the hose into position with a sharp pull.
Suncast PW100 Powerwind
If you’re a senior dealing with the effects of arthritis on your joints, then the Suncast hose and reel are your best option to reduce your pain while watering.
Seniors who are battling with joint or back pain may find it hard to lug a hose around the garden. A retractable automatic hose and reel offer you the best solution for pain-free watering in your yard.
Suncast’s “Powerwind Automatic Rewind Hose Reel” retracts your garden hose with the press of a foot pedal. You get to automatically brake the retraction of the hose by taking your foot off of the pedal as well. Gone are the days of bending down to pick up your hose, or pulling it to retract it into the reel. The reel accommodates hoses of up to 100-feet in length as well.
The difference with the Suncast is that it’s not spring-loaded; it runs on battery power. The package comes with a 12-volt battery and charger, ready to connect to the reel. You press the pedal, and the reel does the rest. For those that don’t want to use the battery-powered operation, the system comes with a manual crank as well.
- The system features a foot-pedal to retract the hose.
- The system features battery-powered or manual operation.
- Suitable for seniors that suffer from arthritis or back pain.
- Fits hoses up to 100-feet in length
- The battery and charger come included in the package.
- No hose or accessories included with this system.
Ames Estate Hose Wagon
If you live on a large estate, then you need a hose reel system. Unfortunately, it’s challenging to find a system you can rely on to carry enough hose around your yard — most systems in this review top out at 150-feet of hose length.
However, with the Ames Companies estate hose wagon, you carry around 400-feet of hose, anywhere on your estate.
As you can imagine, carrying around 400-feet of garden hose is no easy task. Ames sorted out this problem with the addition of four; large air-filled tires mounted to the frame.
The wheels make it easy to push the cart around your estate, and it feels like you’re handling a much lighter hose setup. The large wheels make short work of any bumps or uneven ground, and never hang up on any stones or branches.
The robust metal frame is rugged and durable, and if the cart falls over, you don’t have to worry about the impact damaging the reel. The only drawback to this system is that it might rust if you live in humid or wet areas of the United States.
- The reel features a sturdy and durable metal frame design.
- The reel houses hose up to 400-feet in length.
- Suitable for use on large estates.
- Easy to wind up onto the reel.
- The reel comes mounted on a frame featuring four tubed tires for easy mobility around the estate.
- May rust in humid conditions.
- Not suitable for small gardens.
If you’re a contractor or a landscaper, then you’ll love the Coxreels1125 steel hand-crank hose reel. This reel features a sturdy design geared toward professional use. The reel accommodates hoses of up to 100-feet in length and ½-inch in diameter.
Anyone who has ever worked with Coxreels tools knows that they have a distinct blue color to all of the equipment they offer. The Coxreels hose reel also features this distinctive coloring. The powerful hand-crank system reels in the hose in seconds, allowing you to store it out of the way while you work on other areas of the garden.
The only drawback to this hose and reel system is the price. However, homeowners don’t need such a heavy-duty hose reel and would do better with one of the other reels in this review.
- An excellent choice for contractors and landscapers.
- The reel fits a ½-inch diameter hose, accommodating up to 100-feet of hose length.
- Heavy-duty construction.
- Professional-grade equipment.
- An expensive reel when compared to others in this review.
- Not suitable for homeowners.
- No automatic reel withdrawal.
- No accessories included with the system.
Ames NeverLeak Decorative Metal Hose Cart
If you’re looking for a hose and reel system that’s both functional, and easy on the eyes, then consider The Ames Companies Neverleak metal hose cart. This system accommodates hoses of up to 150-feet in length and 5/8-inches in diameter.
The system comes mounted on two tires, allowing for smooth movement around your garden. The powder-coated steel frame holds up well to impact and won’t chip the paint. As a result, you get a frame that won’t rust.
The reel also features the patented “Neverleak” system from The Ames Company. This reel is weather-resistant, and seasonal changes in temperature won’t affect the system. The reeling action of this model prevents cross-threading, extending the service life of your hose.
- Powder-coated frame for enhanced visual impact and durability.
- The reel accommodates up to 150-feet of garden hose.
- Elegant design.
- The reel comes mounted to a cart for easier portability.
- The cart includes two wheels for easy mobility.
- The system includes “Neverleak” protection.
- Expensive compared to other models in this review.
- The system does not include a hose.
Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose
This garden hose reel features an elegant and stylish design. If you’re a gardener that’s passionate about the styling of your lawn furniture and accessories, this is the reel for you. The Liberty Garden hose reel accommodates hoses of up to 125-feet in length, with a 5/8-inch diameter.
Mount this hose reel to your wall with the hardware included in the box. There’s no need to hide this hose reel away from your guests, as the eye-pleasing design adds to the aesthetic of your garden.
- An elegant and attractive design.
- The reel suits garden hoses up to 125-feet in length.
- Excellent price point.
- Easy use and maintenance.
- The system comes with all hardware included for mounting.
- The reel features powder-coated aluminum for durability and weather-resistance.
- Not recommended for heavy-duty use or large gardens.
- No hose included with the reel.
Flo-Master Retractable Hose Reel
Pull your garden hose anywhere on your property using the Flo-Master retractable hose reel. This system includes a 65-foot hose with threaded brass ends. The system comes with an eight-function spray nozzle as well.
This system is ideal for homes with smaller gardens, or as a reel system for your front yard. While the hose is only 65-feet in length, it’s more than enough to water a small yard.
- Simple installation and easy use.
- Mounting bracket and hardware included with the package.
- The system includes a spray gun with 8-settings.
- Unattractive housing.
- Short hose included.
Suncast RSW125D Aquawinder
The Suncast Aquawinder features a hose capacity of up to 125-feet, with a 5/8-inch diameter. The automatic spring-loaded rewinding function makes it effortless to retract the hose. The stylish design of the reel box is deceiving, and visitors to your garden won’t even know that there’s a hose inside the unit.
- This system is easy to hide away out of sight.
- The system comes fully assembled, ready for plug-and-play.
- The reel accommodates hoses of up to 125-feet, with a 5/8” diameter.
- Leader and discharge hoses included.
- Unattractive housing.
- Basket-style pattern may not suit all garden themes.
ReelWorks Reel 27807153A
If you have a small yard, the ReelWorks hose reel is another option to match the Suncast Aquawinder. The system comes with a 50-foot hose featuring a 3/8-inch diameter. Like the Goodyear model mentioned earlier, this hybrid hose and reel system can water your garden or blow air into your tires.
The automatic winding system makes it easy to reel in the hose, and the reel housing makes it easy to mount this system to a wall, with all hardware included in the box.
- Easy installation, maintenance, and use.
- You can link the hose to an air-compressor or watering accessories.
- The system has a modern, sleek design.
- If you extend the hose to its limit, you might find it challenging to retract without snagging.
- The system has the shortest hose in this review.
Other Best Selling Options
- HIDEAWAY HOSE REEL: Conceal your garden hose in a stylish storage box with a stay-up lid
- DURABLE: Reel is built of durable resin for years of quality use
- SMOOTH CRANK HANDLE: Crank handle makes winding and unwinding of the garden hose easy and kink-free
- TIGHT SEAL: Strong, reinforced system ensures water-tight connection between reel and hose
- IDEAL SIZE: Measuring 15.5" x 21" x 16" with a 100' hose capacity, the reel's compact size makes for convenient use in your backyard
- 175' of 5/8" hose reek cart capacity
- 7 inch wheels
- Hose hooks hold end of leader hose or garden hose
- resin construction
- fully assembled
Hose Reels Buyer’s Guide
Watering your garden is a therapeutic practice. You clear your mind as the hose gushes water on your plants, and you notice a songbird chirping from its perch in the tree overhead. After your blissfully peaceful watering session, it’s time to pack the hose away.
All of a sudden, watering feels like work. As you pick the hose up and coil it near the tap, you wonder if there’s an easier way to do this task. Fortunately, a hose reel is the answer to your watering problems.
Choosing the best hose reel to suit your gardening needs starts with assessing the capabilities of the unit. We put together this buying guide to give you more information on the factors that make for a good hose reel for your garden.
Using a hose reel prevents cracking and splitting of your hose. A reel stores your garden hose in ideal conditions, away from the sun. As a result, your hose will last longer.
The chances are you trip over your garden hose from time to time. Keep your garden uncluttered and reduce the safety risk using a hose reel.
Check the reel capacity before you buy. There are different reels to suit hose thicknesses and lengths. If you live on a large estate, you’ll need a larger reel than someone who has a small backyard.
Features and Accessories
Some hose reels come with fittings ready to mount a spray gun. Some reels even come with a spray gun included in the package. You’ll need to purchase the right accessories with the right fittings for your hose if it comes with the reel. If you don’t choose a reel with the hose included, make sure you select the right accessories to suit the new hose.
A garden hose reel helps you keep your garden hose organized and secure at all times. A reel makes it easy to clean up after watering the garden, and the retraceable spring-loaded reels make winding the hose effortless.
Determine the hose length you need by measuring out your garden. If you live on an estate, then you’ll need a super-long hose to reach all the corners of your garden.
Most hose and reel combinations come with connections fitted to the hose by the OEM. These connections allow you to attach pray guns, sprinklers, and water bars with ease. IF your hose and reel combo comes with brass fittings already installed, make sure you choose compatible accessories for the hose.
When buying your hose reel, consider the importance of portability. You might need to move the reel between water taps, or transfer it between the front and backyard.
Hose reels come with manual and automatic winding systems. Manual hose reels are better for large gardens, and large-diameter hoses, Smaller reels with hoses included in the package tend to have automated winding systems that make it easy to pull out the hose and retract it back into the body of the reel.
Hose Reels FAQ
Here are some commonly asked questions about hose reels and choosing the right reel for your garden.
Do I Need a Hose Reel?
If you use a hose in your garden, then you can benefit from a hose reel. By storing a hose in a reel, you avoid sun damage to the hose and keep it undamaged. With a hose reel, your dog won’t have the chance to chew it, and the sun won’t cause cracks in your garden hose.
How to install Your Hose to the Reel?
Attach your hose and wind it onto the reel if you’re using a manual version. An automatic hose comes pre-installed and doesn’t require any winding of the hose onto the reel.
How Does a Garden Hose Reel Operate?
Manual hose reels require winding through a mechanical arm. Automatic hose reels use a spring-loaded system to retract the hose effortlessly onto the spindle. Manual hose reels suit larger hoses and larger estates. Spring-loaded reel systems are ideal for smaller to medium-sized gardens.
How do I Hook-up My Hose Reel?
Straighten the hose to ensure there are no bends. Insert the female connection through the guide opening, and then thread it to the water coupling on the inner surface of the reel. Use pliers to tighten the connection and prevent leaks. Don’t over-tighten, or you might damage the connections.
- Selecting the right hose reel for your garden requires you to understand your watering needs. If you have a large property, you need a long hose to reach the corners. We recommend you check out The Ames Companies “Neverleak” system, that accommodates hoses of up to 150-feet in length.
- However, if you have an average-sized suburban home with a front and back yard, a large hose reel is overkill. The Hoselink retractable system is more than sufficient to manage the watering needs of your front and backyard. The reel removes from the wall mounting quickly, allowing you to move it from the backyard to the front with ease. This set up also includes a 7-stage spray gun in the package.
- If you’re on a budget, then we recommend the Ayleid retractable hose reel is your best option. This system also comes with an 8-function spray gun that makes watering your garden a pleasure.
Whatever your gardening and watering needs, there’s a hose reel in the review that will suit your premises. Pick a reel that suits your garden, and never worry about leaving your hose lying around again.