Do you remember the last time you watered your garden? The chances are the sun was out, and it was getting hot. You wanted to give your thirsty garden a drink before the heat of the day evaporates the water away.
Unfortunately, you spent so much time wrestling your garden hose around the garden that you ended up with a stiff arm. Garden hoses can be a pain, especially when they start to kink. You know the feeling of irritation when you pull the hose, and the water flow drops off. You try to spin the hose to relieve the kink, but it only gets worse.
Fortunately, you can avoid these issues with your garden hose by buying a lightweight model. Lightweight garden hoses make watering your garden a pleasure. These hoses feel almost weightless in your hands. Manufacturers use lightweight composite materials to build these hoses, so you can expect to pay a bit more than you would for a traditional hose.
Instead of dragging a heavy hose filled with water around your garden, reduce the effort involved, and get yourself a lightweight garden hose for the job. We put together this review of the best hoses available. Any of them will make a great upgrade to a traditional garden hose. However, some are better than others in terms of functionality and service life.
We put together this guide to give you accurate information about each of the best models available. Make an informed purchase decision by reviewing all of the hoses, and comparing what they have to offer you for your gardening needs.
Our Top 3 Picks
- 1 Our Top 3 Picks
- 2 The Best Lightweight Garden Hose Reviews
- 3 Water Right 400 Series Hose
- 4 Teknor Apex zero-G
- 5 Legacy Flexzilla Garden Hose
- 6 Tuff-Guard Garden Hose
- 7 Gilmour Flexogen Hose
- 8 Other Best Selling Options
- 9 A Buyers Guide to Garden Hoses
- 10 Tips for Choosing the Best Lightweight Hose for Your Yard
- 11 Garden Hose FAQs
- 11.1 How Do I Select the Right Materials for My Environment?
- 11.2 What Type of Material is Best for My Gardening Needs?
- 11.3 Does the Hose Material Effect Cost?
- 11.4 What Are the Different Hose Sizes Available?
- 11.5 Why is Hose Thickness Important?
- 11.6 What Kind of Couplings Are Available with My Garden Hose?
- 11.7 Why Should I Consider the Different Types of Couplings?
- 11.8 Is There Anything Else I Need to Know About Couplings?
- 11.9 How Do Hose Materials Affect the Weight of My Hose?
- 12 Conclusion
If you’re interested in the top performers in this review. Then you can skip through the details and rely on our top three picks for your next garden hose. Any of these three models is a good buy, choose the one that suits your needs.
Best Overall – Water Right 400 Series Garden Hose
- Water Right is the Premier Manufacturer of Polyurethane Garden Hose in the world and we make the garden hose you've always wanted.
- The Water Right 400 Series is known for it's super slim, lightweight design, is made with long lasting, toxin-free polyurethane and utilizes only industrial grade, lead-free fittings.
- The 400 series is easy to use, won't break or crack and remains flexible in all weather conditions
- We can proudly say that you have never used anything like it. This is a great choice when you want a durable, user friendly, drinking water safe garden hose designed for home, garden, RV and boat.
This model is the best overall hose in this review. The Water right 400-series has everything you would expect from a high-quality garden hose. Featuring construction with composite polyurethane materials, with a dry weight of 3-lbs for a 50-foot hose, this has all the characteristics of a champion garden hose. It’s available in a variety of lengths and diameters to suit any garden.
Runner Up – Zero-G 4001 Garden Hose
- Jobsite tough- abrasion, leak and puncture-resistant high visibility g-force outer cover for longer performance, 650 psi rated
- Drinking water safe - manufactured with FDA sanctioned materials
- All weather flexibility down to 35°F for ease of use in colder temperatures
- Assembled in USA - 5 year warranty
The Zero-G is our second pick in this review. It’s not as light as the Water right model, but it still weighs less than 5-lbs for a 50-foot hose. Constructed from polymer materials with a nylon covering, this hose is robust, durable, and weather-resistant. Available in a diameter of 5/8-inch.
Best Budget Garden Hose – Gilmor Flexogen Garden Hose
- Patented 8-layer construction with reinforced core maximizes both durability and kink resistance
- Crush-resistant and corrosion-resistant brass connections
- Stainless steel spring prevents kinks at the spigot
- Made in the U.S.A. and backed by a lifetime warranty
This hose is ideal for gardeners on a budget. If you’re looking for the most affordable, lightweight hose you can find, then the Gilmor Flexogen is your best bet. It has a dry weight of 5.7-lbs, featuring foam and rubber construction with a nylon cover. Available in ½-inch diameter, this hose is durable and robust, while remaining affordable.
The Best Lightweight Garden Hose Reviews
When we put together this review, we evaluated each hose using a set of criteria. Every hose in this review went through stringent testing on environmental resistance, performance, reliability, and weight. We also took into account the composition of hose materials, as well as the fittings.
This review will give you everything you need to make an informed purchase decision. However, its vital that you choose the right hose for your gardening needs. Look through our buyer’s guide and hose FAQ before you make your final decision on the hose that’s right for you.
Water Right 400 Series Hose
The Water right 400-series is our top choice in this review. This hose provides flow rates of up to 4.5-gallons per minute, and it’s safe for use with drinking water as well. This high-pressure hose comes in 4-different lengths, with diameters of 7/16th or 3/8th-inch.
This hose has a dry weight of 3-lbs, making it the lightest hose in this review by some margin. Constructed with a rubber and foam core for extra resilience and environmental resistance, the Water right 400-series id your top lightweight hose of choice.
This hose also offers excellent flexibility, and you don’t have to worry about kinking at all when pulling it around your yard. The hose is also available in a range of colors to suit your garden décor.
This hose also stands up to environmental conditions, and it’s suitable for use in cold climates as well.
- Flexible, even in sub-zero weather.
- Safe for use with drinking water.
- Unwind and store easily.
- Effortless to move around the garden.
- Kinks when empty.
- It does not have a proper “free-coiling” movement when on the ground.
- Low flow rate.
Teknor Apex zero-GThe Zero-G is our runner up in this review. This hose comes in a fraction heavier than the Water right 400-series. However, at 4.7-lbs for a 50-foot hose, it’s still a lightweight piece of gardening equipment.
The new design of this hose features woven fiber covering a polymer tube for durability and protection from the elements. This hose collapses entirely when empty, and we think this hose does well on a reel, and it’s easy to squeeze the water out when winding it onto the reel after use.
The manufacturer states that the patented couplings on this hose are crushproof, even if you drive over them with your car accidentally. The couplings have a heavy-duty look, but they fit DIY accessories for any hose.
The manufacturer also says you can add multiple hoses with extensions, and still lose no water pressure during operation. However, the materials used in the construction of the hose make it unsuitable for use in freezing conditions. Water expansion in the hose might cause the sides to split.
- The hose comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Well-made fittings.
- Durable and lightweight.
- Challenging to roll.
- Does get kinks when empty.
Legacy Flexzilla Garden Hose
If you live in colder regions of the United States, the Flexilla is the ideal garden hose for you. This hose features construction with premium materials that allow it to service temperatures of -40F.
The manufacturer states that their hose will never kink, and in our testing, we found this to be true. However, you need to keep water in the hose to ensure there is no kinking or disruption to the flow rate.
The Flexzilla is on the heavier side of the hoses in this review, weighing 8-lbs for a 50-foot hose. The hose also comes in 3, 5, 10, 50, 75, 100-foot lengths, with a diameter of 5/8-inch. Overall, the Flexilla is suitable for all-year use in your garden, and its durable construction makes it weather-resistant, ensuring a long service life for this garden hose.
The additional weight might make it a bit heavy for seniors. However, the addition of a spring-loaded hose reel will assist with moving this hose around your yard and storing it away after use.
- Safe for drinking water.
- The hose stands up to freezing temperatures.
- Resistant to UV rays and sun exposure.
- Tends to have curvature memory.
- Kinks when empty.
- Heavier than other brands in this review, but still lightweight.
Tuff-Guard Garden HoseThe Tuff-Guard hose is weather resistant. The thermoplastic outer cover and polyester core ensure that the sun doesn’t crack this hose. If water freezes inside the coils during the winter, this hose has excellent resilience and expansion properties, preventing it from splitting. The manufacturer rates this hose as capable of handling temperatures as low as -20F.
The thermoplastic cover also makes this hose look more like an air hose that you would see at a garage when filling your tires. The smooth outer cover provides a rugged and tough surface resistant to UV rays and impact from garden tools. The hose also comes in a range of colors to match your yards décor.
The only gripe we have with this hose is with the couplings. In some cases, the coupling separate from the hose, resulting in an irreparable leak.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Durable and weather resistant.
- The hose holds up in freezing temperatures.
- Kink proof design.
- Fitting connection may tear under stress.
- Fittings might leak with a few months of use.
- The hose has both these issues covered by warranty.
Gilmour Flexogen Hose
The final hose in our lightweight garden hose review is the Gilmor Flexogen garden hose. This model is lightweight, weighing 5.4-lbs for a 50-foot hose. While it’s nowhere near the 3-lbs of the Water right 400-series, it’s still lighter than most of the models in this review.
We love the lifetime warranty on this garden hose, and its all-0weather rating means that its safe for use ion colder climates as well. The big drawback for this hose is that it’s only available with a ½-inch diameter, meaning that it provides lower operating pressures than standard 5/8-inch garden hoses.
This design of the hose features a layered construction of durable rubber combined with nylon reinforcement to create a hose that’s both impressive to look at and highly functional. There are some reviews online that suggest this hose is prone to internal cracking that leads to bulging in segments of the hose.
This breakdown in materials that results in bulging may also cause kinking with future use. However, the lifetime guarantee on the hose means you can send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.
- Lifetime warranty on the hose with good customer service.
- The hose features durable construction with rubber and nylon reinforcing.
- The hose offers a good flow rate and water pressure.
- Easy to roll-up for storage.
- May bulge with extended use.
- Kinks easily, even with water running.
- Not very weather-resistant.
Other Best Selling Options
- Extremely flexible – Our distinctive green hoses are built from a special polymer blend that allows for all-weather flexibility, even in subzero temperatures (-40° to 140°F), making it easy to use in the harshest conditions
- Extremely durable – Purpose built to handle any industry and environment. Abrasion resistant outer cover and crush resistant anodized aircraft aluminum fittings means this hose is always ready to work
- Won't kink under pressure – Our hoses are made from a special hybrid polymer that is memoryless, meaning it will lay flat, resist kinks, and can coil easily, making them a breeze to put away
- Leak free and drinking water safe - Each garden hose contains superior O-rings, ensuring a long lasting and leak free connection. Our hybrid polymer is lead-free, making all hoses drinking water safe
- Lightweight - Lighter than traditional garden hoses making Flexzilla easier to carry and maneuver around the yard
- Multifunctional water hose nozzle : 10 watering patterns for every watering need,This heavy duty nozzle have easy to use thumb control design,The no squeeze, easy flow control allows for a controlled stream from a soft, delicate shower all the way to a high velocity jet;The soft rubber coating handle makes this sprayer very comfortable to hold and it also prevents slipping
- Expanding garden hose pipe : Garden hose is non kink garden hose and aluminium end ducting create a ability that is 3 times expansion length in use(extending from 33 ft to 100 ft length); When shutting off, it can automatically contract; Thickening latex inner hose pipe combined with tightly knitted outer fabric bring good performance in expanding up and withstanding pressure without leaking or bursting
- Garden hose : The expanding water hose uses a high density double layer latex core and a powerful 3300D polyester fabric cover, to prevent breakage and leakage; No more worries about leaks, tear or cracks; The compact hose is for long term use
- Solid fitting connectors : Expanding garden hose fits the typical outdoor garden taps in US,Has solid fittings that handle water pressure better than plastic fittings which maximum avoids of hose leaking water, and give excellent corrosion resistance and no rusting
- A retractable hose suitable for multiple purposes : Garden hose comes with 1x 100ft garden hose,1x water hose nozzle, 1x hose hanger, 1x storage bag, 3 x spare sealing rings, easy to store on the provided hanger or in the custom drawstring bag; Space saving; Makes a gift; Great for house,car,floor,yard washing, garden watering, pet cleaning, having fun or business use
- The Flexi Hose expandable garden hose automatically expands up to 3 times its original length with standard pressure when water is turned on and shortens to its length when the water is turned off
- Solid 3/4 inch brass connectors ensure the expanding garden water pipe fits the typical outdoor garden taps in the US
- The 3750D elastic outer fabric with 4 layers of latex protects the inner tube effectively from thorns, punctures, and sharp corners
- Every Flexi Hose is endurance-tested to 2000 uses and can withstand water pressures 3 up to 12 Bar and temperatures between 41 and 113 degrees Fahrenheit
- The included 8-pattern rotating hose spray nozzle is constructed out of durable zinc alloy and features an ergonomic, slip-resistant rubberized handle for comfort
- Upgraded design, Longer Uselife: 13-layer natural latex inner tube is the highest quality standard on the market, to strength the durability, endurance test can handle up to 1100 uses compared to the typical life of only 200 uses under water pressure of 145 PSI/10 Bar. No more annoyances from spending your money on hoses for just a few uses.
- Strongest and Durable, No More Bursts: Uses 3750D elastic outer fabric is more dense and rugged than other models, can protect the inner tube effectively from thorns, punctures, sharp corners. More resistance to avoid bursting and leaks, prevents damage from normal friction of dragging on the ground.
- 3 Times Extension in Length, Easy to Operate and Store: Only 1.8 LBS, it’s incredibly lightweight, flexible and functional. It starts out 9 feet and expands to 25 feet under 0.5Mpa water pressure, but returns in seconds to 9 feet after water is out. After each use, just simply store it in a bucket. Never kinks, twists or tangles, A real easy hose that make your work efficient.
- Unique Leakproof Connectors and Extra Garden Hose Nozzle: Our garden hoses come equipped with our upgraded US standard metal connectors, will not break, crack, leak or corrode, it can withstand different temperature. Unique spray nozzle with fingers free function and 8 patterns supports all your needs including gardening, watering, pet and car cleaning.
- Connectable for longer size, it helps you to reach any corner you want to water: Available in 25 feet, 50 feet, 75 feet, 100 feet, they are connectable for getting a longer size, like 125 feet, 150 feet or 200 feet. They are always long enough to help you to reach each corner of your garden.
- Expanding design. Our garden hose flexible expands from 17 feet to 50 feet length. This stretch hose can expand 3 times to its original hose length when water pressure is on, and shrinks to original pipe length in minutes when it’s off. If you find this hose does not extend to 50 ft, please kindly make sure whether the faucet is at full blast.
- 9 functions spray nozzle. Compared to most 8 pattern hose nozzle, our water nozzle with 9 pattern for more choices. The rubberized outer coating is no slip and comfortable. Rotating bezel for easy choosing kind of nozzle. Buckle stent for uninterrupted use. Ergonomic handgrip for effortless operation. Its 9 spray patterns include. Full, Flat, Shower, Cone, Jet, Soaker, Angle, Mist and Center. Great for house car floor yard washing, garden watering, pet cleaning or business use.
- Lightweight gardening hose. The flexible expanding water hose uses a high density latex core and a powerful 3750D polyester fabric cover to prevent breakage and leakage. It can withstand water pressure 3 to 12 Bar and temperature 41 Fahrenheit to 113 Fahrenheit. This outdoor hose is lightweight, making carrying it around easier, and you can take our portable garden hose anywhere you need.
- Solid Brass connectors. This expanding garden hose has superior brass connectors and shut off valves, which give excellent corrosion resistance and no rusting.
- Easy to use and store. Retractable, lightweight, highly portable, flexible hose, simple way to save your storage space. Just drain water from the hose when not in use, store out of direct sun. Besides, you also have a water hose hanger, This is designed to hold the water pipe.
A Buyers Guide to Garden Hoses
We understand that discovering the technical differences between garden hoses is news to you. That’s why we put together this helpful buying guide to give you everything you need to know about lightweight hoses, and how it can benefit your watering.
Materials found in Garden Hoses
Traditional garden hoses feature construction with cheap materials. It’s common to see manufacturers use nylon, rubber, and vinyl when building their products. However, these materials are prone to failure under extreme weather conditions. Vinyl cracks, rubber perishes, and nylon strips.
Lightweight hoses consist of premium materials designed for excellent weather resistance and lightweight use. As a result, the material cost of manufacturing the hose is higher, but you get a hose that has a much longer service life.
Most manufacturers use a rubber tube in the center of the hose design. This rubber keeps the hose flexible while preventing it from kinking during use. Manufacturers then coat the rubber tubes in foam and then reinforce the design with a woven nylon cover. The result is a hose that tougher and more weather-resistant than a traditional garden hose.
Manufacturers also make use of thermoplastics in garden hose design. These elastomers are blends of polymers and rubber bonded together with polypropylene, a synthetic resin. These hoses have high temperature-resistance and added strength.
Manufacturers make use of advanced polymers in hoses to improve pressure resistance and strength in the hose construction.
Manufacturers use advanced polyurethane resins to cover hoses and provide a sleek and durable finish.
The best fittings on garden hoses are brass. Some hoses use aluminum or other cheaper materials, but brass is the best. You get longer service life out of brass, with decreases wear and tear, as well as superior strength. The only drawback to brass is its weight. Therefore, on lightweight hoses, you can expect to see aluminum fittings.
This lightweight material makes an excellent addition to a lightweight garden hose. Brass is a heavy material, but it has excellent wear resistance. While aluminum is lightweight, it has a higher chance of exposure to failure through wear and tear.
Stainless Steel Fittings
Stainless steel is a somewhat lightweight material. Most fittings come in a 304-stainless steel grade to reduce costs. It’s less common to see stainless steel fittings, and if your hose features the use of this material, you can bet it’s a high-quality product.
Choosing Hose Length
Hoses come in a variety of lengths and diameters. The most common hose length is 50-feet, but there are models in 75, 100, 125, and 150-foot lengths. Diameters of garden hoses vary between 5/8-inch and half an inch. The wider the diameter, the higher the flow rate of the hose.
When selecting your new garden hose, you need to take your climate into account. Some hose materials are more resistant to colder temperatures than others. The last thing you want is for your new hose to split after freezing overnight.
Make sure you select thermoplastic materials and polymer materials for the best resilience to your hose. These materials allow for the expansion of water as it freezes in the hose, preventing splitting in the sides from occurring.
Tips for Choosing the Best Lightweight Hose for Your Yard
Choosing the right lightweight hose for your garden requires you to assess your gardening needs. You might need a ½-inch 150-foot hose for your single-family home, so don’t purchase something that doesn’t meet your needs.
This section of our buyer’s guide gives you some helpful tips for selecting the ideal hose to meet your watering needs.
How do you use your hose? Are you watering a small garden a few times a week, or are you moving it around a large property? Do you need a hose that you can use for washing your car, cleaning the gutters, and other forms of yard work?
How you use your hose should determine the types of materials you need in the design. Hoses that have to deal with high volumes of yard work require a firmer construction that those that only have to do a little watering from time to time.
If you have to drag your hose over large areas, you might get problems with the hose kinking. Kinking disrupts water flow and can be very frustrating to have to deal with during your watering session. We recommend that you look into purchasing a flat hose that turns to a round shape as it fills with water. This hose design helps you reduce the amount of kinking in the hose over long distances of more than 50-feet.
How do You Store Your Hose
Flat hose options also provide you with easy storage. However, if you settle on a round version, then it’s always a good idea to invest in a hose reel to manage your hose length. Most hose reels work with hoses that have a 5/8-inch diameter, so bear this in mind if you need this accessory for your garden.
Do You Use Your Hose in Winter?
If you use your hose in the wintertime, then it’s vital that you drain it before storage. If the hose stays outside on a hose reel, the water will freeze, and you’ll have to wait for it to thaw before you can use it again. Using a collapsible hose will ensure that all of the water is out of your hose before you store it away.
Use a Hose Reel
Storing your hose on a hose reel is an excellent way to extend its service life. By storing your hose on a reel, you avoid leaving it lying around your yard where the puppy can chew holes in the cover. A hose reel allows you to wind up the hose quickly, and many models come with spring-loaded return systems. Seniors who enjoy watering their garden, but hate packing away the hose will benefit from this accessory.
Garden Hose FAQs
If you have any queries about how to use, store, or select your new lightweight garden hose, you can refer to this section. We put together the most frequently asked questions about garden hoses for you to review.
How Do I Select the Right Materials for My Environment?
Rubber offers the best material for your garden hose construction if you live in colder regions of the US. Rubber is resilient to temperature fluctuations, and it won’t weather as badly as vinyl or other polymers. Check the manufacturer’s rating for maximum and minimum temperature ratings for your hose.
What Type of Material is Best for My Gardening Needs?
If you or your kids drink from the garden hose, make sure that you get a hose rated as safe for this practice. We recommend you always look for a hose with multiple materials used in its construction.
Does the Hose Material Effect Cost?
Yes, some materials are more expensive than others. The techniques required to mold certain rubbers and polymers may also increase the manufacturing costs as well.
What Are the Different Hose Sizes Available?
Garden hoses come in a variety of sizes and diameters. The most popular hose length is 50-feet. However, some manufacturers offer lengths of up to 150-feet. The outside diameter of the hose also changes between models. Most coiled hoses have an OD of 3/8-inch to ½-inc, while regular hoses are anywhere from ½-inch to 1-inch in diameter. Most garden hoses feature a 5/8-inch outside diameter, allowing you to choose from a variety of accessories.
Why is Hose Thickness Important?
The thicker your hose, the higher the flow rate. IF you have a small garden, you can get away with a hose that has an OD of 5/8-inch. This OD is suitable for providing enough pressure to water a small yard; Larger yards may require a ½-inch OD hose that offers higher flow rates.
What Kind of Couplings Are Available with My Garden Hose?
As mentioned, garden hoses come with brass, aluminum, or composite fittings. Most of the hoses in this review use aluminum fittings to cut down on the overall hose weight.
Why Should I Consider the Different Types of Couplings?
Brass is the most durable material used in couplings. However, it also adds more weight to the hose. However, if you’re going to be using the hose in more vigorous yard work, then brass offers better durability than aluminum for your fitting.
Is There Anything Else I Need to Know About Couplings?
The best garden hoses have a coupling near the fitting. This feature prevents kinking at the fitting and makes it easier to fit the hose to a tap or an accessory like a spray gun. We recomme3nd you look at ergonomic couplings that feature quick-release mechanisms for easy use.
How Do Hose Materials Affect the Weight of My Hose?
Rubber is the heaviest material found in garden hoses, but it’s also the most durable. Vinyl is light and easy to carry, but it cracks under sunlight and extreme cold. Polyurethane is durable and heavy, but it provides excellent service life to your garden hose. Manufacturers may blend combinations of materials to reduce weight while increasing the strength of the hose.
Choosing the right hose for your gardening needs is challenging. However, we hope the information in this review and buyer guide helps you make an informed purchase decision.
By now, you should have a clear understanding of the different types of garden hoses, and the materials used in their construction. The technology involved in designing and building garden hoses has come a long way over the last two decades. All of the hoses in this review are excellent options.
After you understand your need for a hose in your garden, you shouldn’t have any trouble selecting the model that’s right for you. If you want the best hose for a small to a large garden, then we recommend the Water right 400-series. This hose has excellent design and construction, and it’s the lightest hose in this review.
The Zero-G is also an excellent option, and we think it’s a close runner up to the Water right 400-series. However, if you’re on a budget and you need an affordable hose that’s lightweight, functional, and robust, we recommend you look at taking the Gilmor Flexogen.