Is there any better way to spend a hot, sunny summer day than lounging in a hammock in the cool shade? A hammock allows you to relax and enjoy your garden. Lie back, put your feet up, and read a book or watch a few shows on your iPad while you enjoy being outdoors.
We took the best hammocks available and pitted them against each other in a bid to discover which model earns the title of the best hammock.
Top 3 Picks
- 1 Top 3 Picks
- 2 Hammock Reviews
- 2.1 AmazonBasics Fabric Hammock with Stand – The Best Overall Hammock
- 2.2 Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Hammock – The Best Premium Model
- 2.3 Honesh Outdoor Leisure Hammock – The Best Budget Buy
- 2.4 The Hammock Sky Brazilian Double Hammock
- 2.5 Vivere Double Polyester Hammock with Space-Saving Steel Stand
- 2.6 Sorbus Double Hammock with Steel Stand
- 2.7 Pawleys Island Original Collection Large DuraCord Rope Hammock
- 2.8 Kootek Camping Hammock Portable Indoor Outdoor Tree Hammock
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Hammock Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Hammocks FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
When assessing the features of the best hammocks, we’re looking for user-friendly setup, comfort, materials, and durability. We selected these three models as our best choices in three categories.
Best Pick: AmazonBasics Fabric Hammock with Stand
- Includes double hammock, 9' space-saving heavy duty steel stand, and carrying case
- Hammock bed measures 94" x 63" (130" end-to-end)
- Accommodates two adults: 400-lb. capacity
- 53% Polyester, 33% Cotton, 11% Rayon, 3% Nylon
- All parts included, no additional tools necessary
If you’re looking for an affordable hammock made from durable fabrics and frame materials, then you’ll find it hard to top the offering from AmazonBasics. This hammock has everything you need to spend a lazy afternoon in your backyard, and it comes at an affordable price point.
Premium Pick: Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Hammock
- Space saving size: Free standing hammock is 144 inch long x 52 inch wide x 45 inches tall, weighs 36 pound; Hammock bed is 76 inch long x 52 inch wide; Weight capacity of 275 pounds
- Everything is included: Outdoor hammock set is weather-resistant and includes a 12 ft stand frame, polyester sleeping pad, and a comfortable pillow.
- Easy assembly: Camping hammock comes with two metal hanging chains and two metal O-rings making it easy to set up as soon as it arrives.
- Durable design: Hammock pad is made of weather resistant solution dyed acrylic fabric with inner poly quilting, which will add longevity and preserve quality.
- Warranty: Sunnydaze Decor backs its products with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
If you’re looking to lounge out in your yard in style, then consider the Sunnydaze. This model features design and construction with premium cotton materials for the most comfortable feel. You also get a sewn-in pillow, and a robust and lightweight frame included.
Budget Pick: Honesh Outdoor Leisure Hammocks Ultralight
- Dimensions: 110 inch Long x60 inch Wide,Bed Size: 75inch *60Inch
- Maximum support weight:450 lbs(two person),SkyBlue color.
- Durable and comfortable, Lightweight, strong, and easy to assemble
- The hammock comes complete with a carrying and storage bag for easy travel.
- Material is machine-washable fabric will stay strong and clean for years
The Honesh is the top choice for anyone looking for an affordable hammock with premium features. This model has everything you need to enjoy a sunny afternoon in your yard. Live the hammock lifestyle, without breaking the bank account.
When assessing the hundreds of hammocks available online, we were looking for hammocks that stand out from the competition. All of the hammocks in this review are a good buy, but each of them has unique features and characteristics that set them apart from the others.
Read through our top choices for the best hammocks, and then check out our buyer’s guide for more useful information to help you settle on your purchase.
AmazonBasics Fabric Hammock with Stand – The Best Overall Hammock
If you’re looking for an affordable, functional hammock made with quality materials, then why look further than everyone’s favorite online retailer? Surprisingly, AmazonBasics make the best hammock in this review. Order it online and let them ship it to your door.
We bet that most people thought that this model would feature as the best budget buys in this review. While the AmazonBasics offering is certainly affordable, it has all the functionality you need in a hammock.
The AmazonBasics hammock features the perfect blend of polyester, cotton, and rayon, creating a lightweight, durable, and comfortable material that wicks away moisture while keeping you cool. The material is resistant against UV damage, and it’s a lightweight fabric that you can wash in your washing machine at home.
The hammock measures out at a spacious 94-inches by to 63-inches, making it an ideal candidate for a double hammock with space enough for two. The hammock stretches 130-inches from end-to-end, providing enough space for the tallest people.
The AmazonBasics hammock has a load capacity of 400-lbs, which is more than enough to carry you and your partner.
One of the unique features of this hammock is that it comes with the option of a professional setup in your yard. Someone will visit your home with the hammock and set it up for you. While this service has a price tag, it’s a good idea to pay for it to see how to set up your hammock if you’re a first time user.
The setup doesn’t require the use of any tools, and it’s a quick job. However, if you’re uncertain, there’s always the professional setup option available to you.
You also get the hammock in a carry bag, allowing you to take it with you wherever you go. The hammock doesn’t include lashing ropes or straps, and there are no karabiners included.
- Premium materials
- Comes with a frame and stand included
- Easy setup and can support up to 400-lbs
- No color options
Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Hammock – The Best Premium Model
If you want the best, then the Sunnydaze is our top choice for the best premium model in this review. The Sunnydaze comes as a complete hammock set up, including a frame. We chose this as our luxury model due to the comfortable quilting, and built-in pillow included with the set.
However, the Sunnydaze is only suitable for one person, with a total hammock length of 12-feet, making it ideal for the tallest people.
The hammock features a chain connection to the stand, which is about the only drawback. You need some decent levels of strength to pull the chain onto the stand, especially if you want a tighter sleeping surface.
This hammock is weatherproof and comes in a variety of colors to suit your taste and style. The hammock stand is rust-resistant, making this the ideal model for a coastal environment.
- Premium materials
- Comes with a quilted pad and pillow
- Frame included
Honesh Outdoor Leisure Hammock – The Best Budget Buy
For those campers looking for the best budget hammock to take on their trip, the Honesh is your best option. This double hammock comes equipped to carry the weight of two people, or up to 450-lbs, making it a roomy and comfy camping hammock experience.
While it’s a camping hammock at heart, you can set this up in your backyard as well. It’s lightweight design and materials make it easy to carry around, and at 50-oz, its one of the lightest in this review, stash it in your backpack, and you won’t even notice the weight.
The Honesh features design and construction with lightweight, premium Basma fabric, providing you with a breathable and durable sleeping surface.
This hammock is both breathable and durable, and it comes in a range of lively colors to suit anyone’s taste. The best part about this hammock is the affordable price tag. If you’re running on a budget for your camping trip, then give this model a try, it’s less expensive than the AmazonBasics model.
- The most affordable model in this review
- Designed to support up to two people
- Comes in different colors
- No frame included
The Hammock Sky Brazilian Double HammockThis hammock was a close second for the best premium model in this review. This two-person model has a safety rating of 450-lbs, making it the ideal hammock for you and your partner to stretch out on in the summertime.
The lightweight and thick material features design and manufacture with breathable and comfortable cotton weave, allowing better airflow around you on hot days, and excellent strength for longevity.
Cotton is a hypoallergenic material, so it’s an excellent choice for anyone with allergies or sensitive skin. This model is one of the few child-friendly models we recommend, as the materials can stand up to plenty of abuse from kids, without tearing. Your pets will also have a hard time tearing the fabric with their claws.
There is no frame included with this model, and there are no attachment straps or ropes included. However, this model does offer exceptional portability, and you can take it with you on vacation or camping trips.
- Supports two people
- Lifetime warranty
- Lightweight and easy to set up
- No frame included
Vivere Double Polyester Hammock with Space-Saving Steel Stand
If you live in a warm climate, the Vivere double hammock is a great choice. This hammock features design and manufacture with breathable and comfortable polyester materials designed to improve the airflow around your body while you sleep.
The Vivere provides a pleasant sleeping experience in humid conditions, such as coastal climates. You won’t experience any sweat build up or soaking when sleeping on this hammock. The moisture-wicking material keeps you dry and cool while you sleep.
This hammock is a great choice for a couple, but it also provides a roomy sleeping experience for one person as well. Relax by yourself, or with your partner, in the luxurious comfort of this model.
The Vivere comes with a foldable support stand, allowing for easy and convenient setup anywhere you go. The zinc-coated steel provides excellent corrosion-resistance for coastal and humid locations.
You also get a carry bag allowing you to take it with you on the road while providing compact storage of the hammock when not in use.
The hammock comes together in minutes with a fast assembly that doesn’t require any tools. The Vivere is also available in a range of vibrant colors to suit your tastes.
- Available in different colors
- Made from durable, weather-resistant polyester
- Suits two people
- Frame included
- Polyester materials don’t offer the same level of comfort as cotton
Sorbus Double Hammock with Steel StandThe Sorbus hammock is a great model with plenty of features. The cotton and polyester blended fabric is both lightweight and comfortable. This hammock has decent moisture resistance for humid climates, and it’s easy to clean this model in your washing machine.
With the Sorbus, you get the strength of polyester, and the breathability of cotton, giving you the best of both worlds. The hammock also has good weather resistance, and if you leave it out in the rain, then it won’t damage the frame or the fabric.
This model also includes an alloy frame for easy setup anywhere you go. The frame is lightweight and easy enough for one person to carry around. Stick it in the trunk of your car, and take your hammock on vacation or top a friend’s house.
You get five height options, allowing you to adjust the hammock to your custom settings for the best experience. The frame and hammock have a safety rating for loads up to 450-lbs, making it a suitable hammock for two people to relax in on a hot summer day.
This model also includes the option of a professional set up for an additional fee. Although, unlike the AmazonBasics model, we think it’s easy enough for you to figure out the setup yourself if you want to save some money on your purchase.
The Sorbus also comes with a carry bag included for easy transport and storage when not in use.
- Frame included
- High-quality blended materials
- Suits two people
- Weather and rust-resistant
- Expensive compared to the AmazonBasics and WolfWise
Pawleys Island Original Collection Large DuraCord Rope Hammock
For those individuals looking for a hammock as unique as their garden experience, the Pawleys DuraCord model is a great option. The stylish design of this hammock doesn’t incorporate the use of any flat material surface.
Instead, the Pawleys hammock relies on a woven effect, using “DuraCord,” a lightweight, strong, and durable material. The open-weave design of the sleeping surface on this hammock is unique, with the gaps between the DuraCords providing exceptional airflow.
Due to the mesh-style open-weave design, we thought that this hammock wouldn’t offer the same level of comport as a flat sleeping surface. However, after testing this model, we found it very comfortable for sleeping and general use.
DuraCord is weatherproof and resistant to mold and abrasions. The dye used in coloring this material is fade-resistant, keeping the hammock looking great for years.
Unlike other models in this review, the Pawleys DuraCord Hammock comes with support provided by a wooden bar at either end of the hammock. These features keep the sleeping surface of the bed open, allowing for a tighter and flatter sleeping experience.
It might take the hammock materials a few days to stretch and adjust to your weight. However, once the material settles, it provides a comfortable and luxurious hammock experience. Unfortunately, this model doesn’t include a frame. We feel it would be a nice touch, and probably boost it into the best premium hammock choice in this review.
- Classic, stylish design
- Cotton materials for extra comfort
- Light and airy
- No frame included
Kootek Camping Hammock Portable Indoor Outdoor Tree HammockThe Kootek camping hammock is the last product in this review, but it’s one of the best models available for camping. If you’re looking to spend a bit more on your camping hammock, over the price tag of the WolfWise, then consider the Kootek.
This camping hammock is suitable for single and double use, holding up to 500-lbs in weight. One of the best features of this model are the tree straps and karabiners included in the set, allowing for easy setup.
You also get a Kootek carry bag to carry your hammock with you on your next camping trip. The Kootek isn’t as lightweight as the WolfWise, but its durable and weather-resistant fabric makes it the ideal premium camping hammock choice.
The Kootek features design and construction with parachute-grade nylon fabric that’s resistant to rips and tears while allowing for easy maintenance and cleaning. With triple stitching in the seams, the Kootek can handle the most demanding camping requirements.
Overall, the Kootek is a great upgrade to the WolfWise, and we like the fact that it includes the tree straps and karabiners in the set.
- Highest weight rating of 500-0lbs
- Premium materials and design
- Triple-stitching in seams
- Karabiners included for easy setup
- No frame included
Other Best Selling Options
- Vivere combo, the double hammock with stand and carry bag is our top choice for combos. The double hammock is tightly woven with high quality cotton thread resulting in a heavy, durable fabric.
- The hammock stand is constructed of heavy duty Steel and assembles in minutes without any tools.
- Vivere hammocks have pure polyester end strings that will last longer than traditional cotton end strings.Bed Length:87 inch
- The larger of our Brazilian hammock combos is great for sharing a snooze with a friend
- Stunning colors make this hammock the highlight of the yard
- Dimensions: Patio Watcher hammock is large enough to accommodate 2 person. The hammock bed size is 77 inch x 55 inch (195 cm x 140 cm), 11.25-foot from loop to loop, the total length is 14-feet with the steel chain link. This hammock is comfortable and high quality, it’s designed to safely support a maximum capacity of 450 pounds.
- Durable Fabric: This Hammock is made of Textilene material that is soft, breathable, comfortable, weatherproof and oil proof. The fabric is vinyl coated for easy clean up and dry quickly.
- Easy to Use: There is a long wooden bar at each end with drilled out holes spaced throughout for the support ropes to go through. Each rope is super thick and braided for maximum durability and support. The 20 ropes collect together and weave into a very pretty triangle pattern, which attaches to a ring and the chain-link can be used for hanging the hammock.
- Wide Use: This rope hammock can be hung indoor or outdoor, it’s perfect for patio, garden, backyard, poolside or balcony when you reading, relaxing or sleeping. It offers many ways to lay or sit in it,with zero pressure on whole body. You can enjoy it with your family or your friends. It also makes an awesome gift for anyone.
- Reliable customer service: Every purchase is backed with a 100% Satisfaction. PATIO WATCHER offers THE BEST VALUE. If for any reason you are unsatisfied, just let us know and we'll fix it. We are here to make sure that you are satisfied.
- Family hammock for whole families - 440 lb weight capacity - most comfortable when lying diagonally
- The number of suspension cords contributes to the comfort and durability of your hammock or hammock chair: The more cords there are, the more even the distribution of weight – providing a feeling of utter weightlessness
- The improved MultiSpot, developed by LA SIESTA and made in Germany, works with any kind of ceiling—concrete, wood, and even drywall studs & joists—ensuring quick and easy installation
- LA SIESTA suspension systems are built to last. Tough and durable, they’re designed to withstand the elements and hold up to the harsh demands of outdoor environments
- Carrying capacity: 355 lbs / Rope: 9 ft 10 in | Ø 0.28 in / Material description: hook: polyamide (glass fiber reinforced) | rope: 100% polyester
Hammock Buyer’s Guide
In this section, we’ll provide you with some useful information on hammocks to help you narrow down your choices.
Single or Double Hammock?
Hammocks are available in single or two-person models. Most of the two-person models also provide single-user functionality. Single hammocks typically have a safety rating of 300-lbs, while double hammocks can hold up to 500-lbs.
It might surprise you to learn that while hammocks are plenty of fun, they’re not suitable for kids. Kids can injure themselves trying to get in and out of a hammock, especially if its high off of the ground. Look for a model that’s safe for your kids if you want to buy it for them.
Materials and Design
Hammocks come in a wide variety of materials. For weather-resistant hammocks, look for materials like polyester or blended fabrics. These materials offer the best resistance against mold and dirt.
If you don’t live in a humid area, then a cotton blended fabric is the best choice for your hammock. Cotton breathes better, enhancing air circulation.
Some hammocks are portable, but if you intend on dragging your hammock with you everywhere you go, then you’ll want a lightweight model that offers easy setup.
Finding the Right Spot to Set Up Your Hammock
When setting up your hammock between trees, you’ll need to find a sturdy maple or oak. Frameless hammocks usually come with karabiners that help you set up the hammock on the trunk or branches of the tree.
Some hammocks come with frames included, allowing you to set them up anywhere you like. Pick a shady part of the garden, open the frame, and attach your hammock. Hammocks that include frames are typically more expensive than frameless versions.
Tips for Hanging Your Hammock in Your Backyard
When it comes to hanging a frameless hammock in your yard, you need trees, some rope, and straps to do the job right. Setting up a hammock between trees takes a bit of time, but it’s a rewarding experience when it works out for you.
Straps are the preferred fastener, as you can easily adjust the length to suit your situation. However, with the right technique, it’s possible to secure a hammock to a tree using ropes as well.
When using ropes, find trees that are around 4-feet wider than your hammock when stretched out. You’ll also need ropes or straps that go around the tree three or four times. Finally, you need your hooks or karabiners to attach the hammock to the ropes or straps.
Start with looping the ropes or straps around the tree and pull them tight. Makes sure the rope doesn’t overlap. After you wrap the rope or straps, you should have around a foot left over on either side.
Tie a secure knot and thread both ends of the rope or straps through a karabiner at the end of your hammock. Straps offer a much easier way to set up your hammock, making set up and removal a breeze.
Sleeping in Your Hammock
Sleeping outdoors in your hammock on a warm summer night is a special experience. If you live near the ocean, falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore is bound to give you a good night’s rest.
However, if you want to sleep in your hammock, you’ll need to pay special attention to its functionality. Most hammocks get uncomfortable after a few hours of lazing in the sun. Therefore, trying to sleep in them throughout the entire night can have you waking up with cricks in your neck and muscle cramps.
When selecting your hammock, it’s essential to choose a model that doesn’t engulf you when you’re lying in it relaxing. It might surprise you to learn that there’s a specific technique for sleeping in a hammock comfortably.
After setting up your hammock in the desired location, sit down on the hammock with your buttocks in the middle. This action helps you to distribute your body weight evenly across the length of the hammock.
After sitting, swing your legs onto the hammock, and stretch your back and legs out into a diagonal formation. In this position, you’ll find yourself a little off-center, lying on each corner of the hammock.
After immersing yourself in the hammock, move your feet and shoulders to adjust yourself into a comfortable sleeping position. If you don’t feel entirely comfortable, try adding some pillows or blankets until you find a comfortable sleeping position.
Caring for Your Hammock
Your hammock requires some light maintenance. Most material hammocks are suitable for washing in the washing machine with general-purpose washing powder and softer.
However, don’t try to machine wash cotton hammocks, as the threads pick up in the machine, ruining your hammock. After washing, let your hammock dry in the shade to reduce damage to the fabric.
If you have a hammock with a steel frame, then you’ll need to ensure you oil the hinges of the frame with some 3-in-1 oil to ensure the moving parts don’t experience any corrosion. If you’re using a frame in a coastal setting, then make sure you oil the components and check for signs of rust frequently.
In this section, we’ll go over a few frequently asked questions by our readers concerning buying the right hammock for your backyard.
Should I go with a framed or a frameless hammock?
If your backyard doesn’t have any trees or supporting structures, then you’re going to need to go with a framed model. Frameless hammocks require you to mount each end of the hammock to a supporting structure like a tree.
What are the best materials for a hammock?
It depends on your environment. If you live near the ocean, the salt spray can cause mold to grow on your hammock.
Materials like polyester are easy to clean, while a cotton material will experience damage in these conditions. However, if you do live in a dry climate, then a cotton material in your hammock provides better breathability and more airflow.
Are hammocks expensive?
Most hammocks are relatively inexpensive, especially if they come without a frame. You can pick one up for less than $100 for a premium model.
How long will my hammock last?
The service life of your hammock depends on the climate and your care of the hammock. If you keep the hammock in a dry environment and care for it properly, it should provide you with decades of use.
How do I maintain my hammock?
Fortunately, you can wash most hammocks in a washing machine. Check the instructions from the manufacturer.
Setting up a hammock in your backyard is a great way to enjoy the lazy days of summer. However, choosing the right hammock to suit your location is a challenging task. If you don’t have any trees in your garden or any other support structures to hang your hammock, then you’re going to have to go with one of the models that come with a frame included.
However, if you do have plenty of trees in your yard or a supporting structure you can rely on to hang your hammock, then a frame isn’t necessary. A frameless option also allows you to take your hammock on the road with you to friends’ houses or on vacation.
Remember to focus on choosing the right hammock to match your environment. If you leave your hammock outdoors, then you need to ensure you buy one with weather-resistant materials.
All of the hammocks in this review are top-quality products that we put our reputation behind. Select the model that meets your needs, and enjoy lounging out in your backyard this summer.