Are you an avid gardener? The joy of walking around your garden and admiring your plants is a rewarding experience. As a gardener, you spend plenty of time potting and repotting plants. If that cactus has pups, it’s time to separate them and give them independent growing sites.
Whether you’re separating a cactus or repotting your azaleas, you’re going to need a workstation for the task. A potting bench gives you the ideal surface for potting your plants. You get a dedicated workspace specifically designed to assist you with your gardening duties.
Repotting tables are great for the yard. Most models come with storage for your gardening tools, and you get a table at the right working height to prevent fatigue in your back. A potting table is a must-have item for any gardener that enjoys potting or planting new flowers and shrubs throughout the growing season.
This post looks at the best potting bench for your yard work. We make recommendations on top models and give you a buyer’s guide to assessing what you need to look for in the right potting bench for your garden.
Our Top Picks
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Potting Bench Reviews
- 3 Potting Bench Buyers Guide
- 4 Potting Bench Buyers Guide
- 5 Potting Bench FAQs
- 6 Potting Benches – The Verdict
There’s a potting bench to suit any garden and any budget. Choose the bench that’s the right fit for your gardening needs from our top choices or read further for more options.
- Best Pick: Outdoor Potting Bench
This potting bench from Bering Channel has everything you need to repot your plants. You get a large workspace with rear shelves and under-counter shelving. This model comes with Fir hardwood construction, providing a durable and beautiful finish to your potting bench. There’s a drawer for your tools, and you can even install a pegboard on the back panel of the shelving.
- Premium Pick: Est. Lee Display Potting Bench
This potting bench from Est. Lee Designs is the winner of the best premium model in this review. This potting bench features design and construction using reclaimed redwood. You get a beautiful design, with the wood fading over time, providing a rustic, authentic look to your potting bench. This model comes with under-counter storage, a zinc tabletop, and rear shelves for additional storage.
- Budget Pick: 2x4basics Custom Potting Bench
This potting bench from 2×4 basics is something different for the DIY gardener. This model comes with a frame, but you’ll need to cut your lumber to size. This frame works well with 2×4 lumber, providing you with a custom finish to your potting bench. This frame can hold any size bench, up to eight feet in length. You get rear posts for shelving and an under-counter shelf for additional storage. Cut your boards to size, and build your bench at home.
Potting Bench Reviews
Let’s unpack our top three picks in detail. We’ll also look at a few other potting benches to suit your gardening needs.
Bering Channel Potting Bench
Potting benches are essential equipment for the enthusiast gardener. A potting bench gives you a dedicated workspace for your garden, providing you with a space to pot plants and keep your gardening tools.
This model from Bering Channel wins our award for the best overall potting bench in this review. You get a beautiful hardwood fir table with a light green and grey finish that looks fantastic anywhere in the garden.
The fir materials used in this table’s construction are naturally resistant to pests, and the treatment ensures the wood doesn’t rot but doesn’t leave this model out in the rain. If you want to weatherproof the bench, you’ll need to apply a varnish.
This model comes with spacious storage and a large work surface for easy potting. This potting bench comes with a drawer and a shelf on the back panel. The bench’s rear panel also features hooks for hanging your gardening tools for easy organization and reach.
We like the removable sink included with this model, allowing you to keep your potting bench tidy and soak roots on your plants while re-potting or transplanting. This model’s dimensions work out to 36.22″ L x 16.73″ W x 47.63″ H.
This potting bench requires some assembly, but it’s easy to put it together using an electric handheld screwdriver. There’s also a grid and blackboard included with this bench, allowing you to write down your gardening tasks for a quick reminder the following day. You get a full accessory kit included with your purchase.
- Attractive design and colors
- Genuine fir hardwood design and construction.
- Blackboard and backboard included.
- Easy assembly.
- Plenty of storage space.
- Naturally resistant to pests and mold.
Est. Lee Display Potting Bench
This potting bench from Est Lee Display wins our award for the best premium potting bench in this review. While it has a sizable price tag, it’s a top-quality bench for serious gardeners that want the best in their yard.
This model comes with design and construction featuring redwood materials for an eye-pleasing aesthetic and rugged durability. However, Est Lee Display doesn’t go chopping down redwood trees to make this bench; they used reclaimed materials and refurbished them for use on the bench. As a result, there’s no environmental impact caused by the manufacturing of this table.
The material also weathers over time, giving the table an authentic, rustic look. This model sits on four casters, allowing you to move the unit around the garden with ease. There are also brakes on the casters to lock the table in position.
The table features two shelves on the backboard, allowing for the storage of your gardening tools and potting accessories. The zinc work surface on the table is corrosion resistant and durable, handling all the abuse you can throw at it during your gardening duties.
This table measures 47″ W x 8″ D x 30″ H, giving you enough room to work on the largest projects without taking up too much space in your yard. This model ships on a pallet in two pieces with easy assembly. After fitting the top, the wood naturally expands over time to create a secure and immovable fit.
This model might come with an astronomically high price tag, but the materials and craftsmanship on this model are superb.
- Reclaimed and refurbished redwood design and construction.
- Excellent finish and craftsmanship.
- Table naturally weathers for a rustic, authentic look.
- Zinc worksurface for durability and corrosion resistance.
- Two rear shelves for storage.
2×4 Basics Custom Potting Bench
Homeowners looking for the best budget potting bench in this review will love the 2×4 Basics model. If you’re a DIY enthusiast, you’ll get plenty of value out of this outdoor potting bench. Unlike other models in this review, this set comes with no shelves or tabletops, just the frame.
As a result, you can cut lumber to size to create the dimensions you want on your table. You get a customized size to suit your needs. This table frame only requires straight 90-degree cuts in your lumber. Therefore, it’s easy to order your wood from the lumberyard and pick it up, ready for installation to your potting table.
As the company’s name suggests, you only need 2×4 lumber for this project, and it’s easy to fit everything together in a few hours. The durable frame brackets included with this kit feature design and construction with structural polyresin for strength and corrosion resistance.
The brackets can support tabletop lengths of up to 8-feet, making it a versatile setup for any garden, shed, or garage. You get a lifetime warranty on the brackets and parts, with a 36-inch height on your work surface.
The table features fittings for two shelves under the work surface and a rear shelf with flexible heights. Attach a pegboard to the rear panel for easy organization of your tools. This model is affordable, even after cutting and installing the wood surfaces.
- Affordable and unique design.
- Create any size table you want, up to 8-feet in length.
- Durable polyresin brackets.
- Rear shelving storage.
- Two under-counter shelves.
- Lifetime warranty.
Suncast Portable Potting Bench
If you need a portable potting bench you can effortlessly haul around the garden; we recommend going with this Suncast model. You get a polyresin design for outstanding durability, weather-resistance, and lightweight portability around the yard. The materials don’t fade in the sun, and you’ll get years of service life out of this cart.
This potting bench surface features plenty of organizer slots around the cart for your tools and pots. The front side of the cart features a handle for easy maneuverability around the garden. In the center of the work surface, you get a sink with a draining grid for transplanting and soaking roots while you work.
The underside of the table features two adjustable shelves to suit your gardening and storage needs. There’s a flat shelf for the bottom and a deep sink shelf for the top to catch water and debris when cleaning or trimming roots on your plants.
The rear of the cart features two large wheels for easy movement around the yard. The front of the base comes with two feet, allowing for a sturdy support base, with no need for locks on the wheels. This model comes with an affordable price tag, and it’s a great choice for gardeners that find themselves wandering around the garden with their tools.
- Lightweight and compact polyresin design.
- Two rear wheels for maneuverability.
- Two front feet for stability.
- Two under-counter shelves included.
- Multiple tool holders on the worktop.
- Drainage hole and grid on the worktop.
- Weatherproof and fade resistant.
Furinno Hardwood Potting Bench
The Furinno Tioman outdoor collection brings you an impressive range of outdoor furniture. This hardwood potting bench features design and construction with Malaysian hardwood for durability and an authentic finish.
This bench has a simple design, with one lower shelf, a work surface, and a rear shelf – everything you need for potting. It’s easy to attach a pegboard to this bench’s rear panel, providing you with easy access to your tools.
This unit measures 35.94″ W x 42.72″ H x 21.26″ D. It’s the ideal working height, and it’s easy to clean this table in minutes. The stylish slatted design of the worksurface provides a traditional and authentic look to this table.
The wood comes treated to resist warping, but we don’t recommend leaving this model out in the rain. If you want to weatherproof this potting bench, you’ll need to varnish it before you put it outside in the rain. Alternatively, you can treat the wood with teak or linseed oil to provide weather protection.
This table accommodates up to 175-lbs in weight, with easy assembly in minutes using basic tools. If you’re looking for an affordable and stylish potting bench for your yard, this model is a great choice for your gardening duties.
- Constructed with Malaysian hardwood for an authentic, rustic look.
- One lower shelf and one rear shelf included.
- Lightweight and affordable.
- Easy assembly with basic tools.
Best Choice Potting Bench
Gardeners looking for a potting table that will last a lifetime should invest in this model. This potting table comes with a design and construction featuring durable powder-coated galvanized steel. You get a weather-resistant table that won’t corrode or rust, even if you leave it out in the rain.
This table measures 35″ L x 22″ W x 35″ D, giving you a comfortable work surface with enough space to carry out your gardening duties. Excellent stability with high load capacity for working on several plants at once. However, there is no shelving or hooks around the work surface to hang our tools.
The bottom shelf is handy for storing pots and other gardening accessories. However, the gridded design means that some tools might fall through the slats. However, this potting bench is excellent value for money, considering the materials and design of this unit is top-class.
This potting bench will make a good choice for smaller gardens and patios where you need a potting bench with a compact footprint. The rugged design and build of the bench mean it lasts a lifetime. this model also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Powder-coated galvanized steel construction for weather resistance.
- Comfortable working height.
- Bottom storage shelf.
- Handle and rear wheels for easy maneuverability on the patio.
Rion 2-Tier Greenhouse Potting Bench
Homeowners looking for a simple and affordable potting bench will get great value out of this Rion model. This bench features design and construction with durable PVC plastic. As a result, it won’t warp or bend when wet or under the sun.
The characteristics of this potting bench make it the ideal model to keep in a greenhouse. The moist air won’t penetrate the materials like it would with a wooden potting bench. This model comes with a simple design, featuring a top work surface and an under-counter shelf.
The surfaces come with a gridded design, allowing optimal drainage from the work surface when repotting or transplanting. The base of the table features lift-feet for easy adjustment to uneven surfaces. This model comes with a simple tool-less assembly in minutes.
This workbench is lightweight and easy to maneuver around the greenhouse, with a compact footprint that doesn’t take up space. This table measures 31″ L x 16″ W x 33″ H, making it the ideal height for working in the greenhouse or hothouse.
The affordable price tag means you can buy several of these models for the price of one of the other tables in this review. It’s a good choice if you need multiple potting stations around your greenhouse.
- Lightweight and 4easy to move.
- Affordable – buy more than one for your greenhouse.
- Compatible with greenhouse installations – won’t warp or fade.
- PVC plastic design and construction for durability.
- Two perforated shelves for easy draining of the work surface.
- Easy assembly.
Merry Garden Folding Potting Bench
Homeowners that only use a potting bench occasionally will get the best value out of this Merry Garden model. If you have limited space on your patio for a potting bench, this model comes with a folding design for easy takedown and storage pit of the way.
This potting bench features design and construction with durable Canadian Hemlock hardwood. The table comes oiled and ready for use. However, it’s not suitable to leave out in the rain unless you varnish all surfaces.
The table features a galvanized steel work surface to prevent you from damaging the wood while you work. This model comes with dimensions of 31.9 W x 33.9 D x 15.7 L, making for a good-sized worksurface when open.
You get a shelf under the work surface, but there’s no rear shelf for accessories or tools and no hangers around the edges of the table. This model comes with easy tool-less assembly and quick takedown for compact storage.
This model comes with a somewhat affordable price tag. Considering this model’s compact convenience, we feel it’s a great deal for homeowners with minimal space on their patio for a fixed table.
- Folding design ideal for small patios and gardens.
- Design and construction with durable Canadian Hemlock hardwood.
- Galvanized steel work surface.
- One under-counter storage shelf.
Potting Bench Buyers Guide
- Sturdy and Durable: Our potting bench is made of 100% fir wood, which is known for its strength and dimensional stability. Built-in a solid structure, the potting tabletop can hold up to 100 kg/ 220 lb and 80 kg/176 lb for the bottom shelf and cabinet.
- Spacious Working& Storage Space: Measuring 112 x 46 cm/ 44.1 x 18.1’’, the large tabletop covered with galvanized metal sheet provides you with ample placing/ working/ crafting space. Apart from the drawer under the tabletop, the slatted shelf and the roomy cabinet at the bottom offer open storage and enclosed space to satisfy your various storage needs.
- Versatile Usage: If you’re a big fan of gardening, this potting bench can be a great assistant for you. It also can serve as a display stand for plants, photos and handicrafts or storage for grills in the porch, patio and balcony.
- Handy Side Hooks: Our outdoor bench comes with three metal hooks on the right side for hanging gardening tools, fire pokes and bags for your convenience.
- Metal-plated: Planting table will help reduce accidental scratches and water/ dirt stain on top. Never place mordant substances like acid on the sheet, though. A practical and beautiful addition to your backyard space.
- Solid wood potting table with plastic sink: Apart from looking great, 100% fir wood all over the structure has substantial fade resistance. Made of quality plastic, the 3” deep sink of 13x11” (LxW) sink is designed in square to serve your watering/washing needs. You can DIY a drain if necessary.
- Powerful potting bench for garden works: To make it convenient to pot, prune, root, transplant and weed your plants. To collect all your gardening tools in one place so that the garden could look organized. To help save your back from unnecessary strain caused by long time stooping down for ground planting.
- Great flexibility: This fine planting table boasts 2 big flexible elements. It’s up to you to decide if the guard rails are necessary. Keep them so that the potting dirt stays on top for easy cleaning afterwards. Or, leave them to enjoy a free open tabletop and set them up later for good. Plus, you can adjust the sectional shelf (bottom right) to three heights, i.e. 20cm/7.9”, 30cm/11.8”, 40cm/15.7”.
- Buy potting bench with storage: Top shelf for small planters. Tabletop for main potting work. Sink for watering work. Drawer for storing tools, especially sharp ones to avoid accidental hurt. Side hooks for hanging items. Open shelves at bottom make your storage easily accessible.
- Customizable: Solid wood potting bench can be painted in the varnish you’d prefer to blend well with your porch, patio or balcony. Ideal for people looking for a bit of personal touch.
- METAL-PLATED TABLE TOP: Durable, easy-to-clean surface is weather-treated to prevent wear or corrosion and provides ample space to prepare new additions to your growing garden
- TWO-TIER SHELVES: Features a convenient upper shelf that is the perfect space to store and organize your favorite fertilizer, seeds, and other gardening supplies
- BUILT-IN STORAGE: Features a storage cabinet with a sliding deadbolt, a large bottom shelf, and a sliding drawer to keep all your extra soil and accessories close at hand
- HANDTOOL STORAGE: A set of three storage hooks attached to the side of the bench are the perfect thing to keep your favorite trowel, trencher or other tools in arm's reach
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: This compact potting bench is made from durable, pre-sanded fir wood to transform any space into a functional workstation; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 43.8"(L) x 17.75"(W) x 49"(H); Weight Capacity: 44 lbs.
- Crafted of solid, water-resistant acacia with a golden teak finish and sealed with linseed oil
- Two drawers, two slatted shelves and an upper hutch
- Stainless steel towel bars on each side include three hooks each
- Stainless steel casters (two locking)
- Some assembly required
- Simple and stylish design with ample shelf space.
- Durable and easy to assemble
- Easy to clean: use damped cloth and avoid harsh chemicals
- Materials: Manufactured from Malaysia hardwood
- Dimension: 35. 94(W)x42. 72(H)x21. 26(D) inches. Holds up to 175 lbs.
Potting Bench Buyers Guide
If you enjoy spending time in your garden, you probably do a lot of planting and separating during the growing season. These tasks are essential for any gardener. However, many gardening enthusiasts choose to get on their knees to do the work.
If you’re a senior, all the bending down is hard on your back and knees. Wouldn’t it be awesome if you could do everything standing up? A potting bench provides you with the surface you need to work standing up.
In this section, we’ll unpack everything you need to know about the features and functions of the best potting bench.
What Is a Potting Bench?
A potting bench is a table with a work surface around the same height as a kitchen counter. It’s a suitable surface for doing minor gardening tasks, like potting and transplanting.
Your potting bench also includes shelving for storing your tools, and some models come with sinks to let you wash the roots of your plants off before transplanting or potting.
Why Do I Need a Potting Bench?
There are dozens of ways a potting bench can make easy work of your gardening duties.
- A potting bench gives you a dedicated workspace in the garden for your gardening activities.
- A potting bench lets you pack away your gardening tools, preventing you from misplacing that trowel or garden fork.
- A potting bench allows you to work standing up instead of bending over and killing your back.
- A potting bench has dedicated storage compartments for your tools, keeping them within easy reach.
- Store your heavier gardening supplies like potting soil and flowerpots on the lower level of your potting bench.
- Simplify your gardening tasks and make your time in the garden enjoyable.
Purchase a Potting Bench or DIY?
You have the option of building a potting bench yourself using materials like old pallets. If you have carpentry skills, it’s easy to knock a potting bench together in an afternoon.
However, most gardeners don’t have carpentry skills; they prefer to spend their time in the yard. Therefore, if you don’t have any DIY skills, it’s a better idea to buy a prefabricated unit for your garden.
What Do I Look for In the Best Potting Bench?
If you’re looking at a prospective model for your potting bench, make sure it has the following features.
- Material Design – The best potting benches come with a wooden design. The wood provides a natural effect, blending into its surroundings in your garden. However, you also have options for plastic benches or steel benches, depending on your preference.
- Sturdy and Secure Base – You’ll be working on your potting bench with some unruly and heavy materials. Therefore, your potting bench needs a firm and stable base that won’t tip or move while you’re working.
- Working Height – Choose a potting bench with the same height as a kitchen counter. Potting benches with tabletops around 36-inches in height are ideal. Working on a tabletop reduces the pressure on your lower back and knees, keeping you out in the garden for longer.
- Multiple Shelving Systems – The best potting benches come with multiple shelving systems. Typically, you’ll place your heavier materials on the shelf below the worksurface. The rear of the tabletop will usually have shelving, and you might also have the option of adding a pegboard to the rear panel of the potting bench.
- Utility and Function – When choosing your potting bench, look for a model that offers you the best utility and function. Your potting bench should have multiple shelving levels, wheels or casters, drawers, and hanging storage. However, sometimes a simple bench is the best deal. It’s up to you to decide what potting bench best suits your gardening style.
- Built-in Sinks – When your separate or trim the roots of your plants, you need a sink. The sink helps you wash away all the loose soil around the roots, letting you inspect the health of your pant. Look for models with removable sinks. Some models also come with a faucet and drain in the sink. However, you can expect to pay a fortune for these models. A removable sink is all you need to do the job and clean the roots.
- Soil Grates – Soil grates help you push the soil away from the work surface. The soil drops through the grate into a collector below, allowing you to repurpose the soil when you repot the plant. Soil is a precious resource in your garden. Tossing it out isn’t an option. By collecting it with your soil grate, you keep the organics in your garden for longer.
- Hanging Storage – The best potting benches come with hanging storage for your tools. Look for models with dedicated holders and slots for your gardening equipment.
- Storage Cabinets and Drawers – Look for potting benches offering you storage shelves and cabinets for your tools and gardening accessories. The best models come with locking drawers and cabinets to keep your tools safe. Storage is essential for gardeners, and it stops you from misplacing your tools while you work.
- Wheels or Casters – Choose a potting bench with wheels or casters. These fixtures help you move the potting bench around the patio or garden with ease. If you get a model with wheels, look for feet on the front and a rear-wheel setup. If you have casters on your potting bench, make sure they have locking brakes to prevent the bench from moving while you’re working.
Potting Bench FAQs
Should I Choose a wooden or steel potting bench?
The choice is yours. A steel potting bench is durable and corrosion-resistant. However, it lacks the authentic look of wood. If you’re looking for a potting bench for longevity and service life, go with steel. If you want an eye-pleasing aesthetic, we recommend going with a wood option.
Where do I store my potting soil mix?
We recommend storing your potting soil mix off the ground on one of the shelves on your potting bench. Leave your potting mix outside, and keep it outside over the winter. Cold conditions kill the larvae and eggs from pests in the potting soil.
What height should I look for in my potting bench?
We recommend looking for potting benches with workbenches that are 36-inches in height. 36-inches is the same height as most kitchen counters. You get an elevated surface that won’t strain your back while you work.
Where can I buy the best potting bench?
We recommend picking up your potting bench from Amazon, the world’s leading online retailer. Amazon has an excellent selection and the best prices online. You get buyer protection on your order, and Prime members get free shipping. If there’s a problem with your potting bench, Amazon offers hassle-free exchanges and returns.
Potting Benches – The Verdict
A potting bench is an essential piece of equipment for any serious gardener. After reading through our reviews and buyers guide, you should have a good idea of the right potting bench to suit your yard and gardening duties.
However, we realize it’s challenging picking a final product from so many good listings. If you’re on the fence with your decision, why not go with one of our top picks?
- This Potting Bench is our top choice for the best overall potting bench in this review. You get a rustic design featuring fir hardwood and plenty of storage. This model even comes with a removable sink included in the worktop. You get a classic, rustic finish on this table that looks great on the patio.
- The Est. Lee Display Potting Bench wins our choice for the best premium model in this review. You get a redwood construction, using reclaimed wood that environmentally friendly., The wood weathers over time to create a mesmerizing rustic look on this table. You get a zinc cutting-surface, plenty of rear storage space, and under-counter shelves.
- The 2x4basics Custom Potting Bench is our top choice for the most affordable model in this review. With this set, you’ll need to cut your tabletops to size. This potting bench frame accommodates shelving and worksurfaces up to 8-feet in length.