Ferns love moist soil and shady conditions, but some are even known to thrive in hanging baskets.
While a fern requires more devotion and routine care when placed in a container environment than when planted in the ground, this extra labor has a definite payoff in the form of a lush and healthy fern.
Ferns in hanging baskets can dramatically improve the curb appeal of your home or add botanical charm to your patio space.
As long as you adhere to their specific sunlight, water, and fertilizer needs, the following ferns are among the ideal choices for hanging baskets.
A happy and healthy Boston fern is a marvelous sight to behold. These old beauties pair amazingly well with even minimalist and modern home structures. Boston ferns do best in settings with full to partial shade. It’s common to find these ferns hanging beneath awnings or within screened porches where they have some protection from the sun.
Line your basket with rich organic soil before placing your greenery within it. These plants require consistently moist soil but take care not to overwater so that the earth becomes waterlogged.
The Boston fern is a light feeder, so you want to go easy on the fertilizer. A diluted, water-soluble fertilizer works best.
Boston ferns can grow quite large (up to three feet high and four feet wide), so be sure to hoist your plant up in a medium-to-large basket to accommodate its growth habit.
The lady fern, known more formally as Athyrium, is a real charmer with its ornamental fronds and medium-green hue. Lady ferns require full to partial shade to thrive. One of the great things about this fern is its low-maintenance care requirements.
Outfit your basket with decent potting soil and be sure to water your lady fern routinely so that the dirt stays moist but not boggy. Lady ferns grow to about 20 inches tall so be sure to hang them with their growth habit in mind. Plan to fertilize your fern about once each month with a water-soluble fertilizer.
Although this fern looks beautiful on its own, it pairs well with other plants to create an eye-catching mixed arrangement.
Kimberly Queen Fern
The Kimberly queen fern is a real showstopper, which is why it often gets a prominent spot on front porches or patios. Kimberly is sometimes called a sword fern because its straight, narrow fronds grow outward.
This fern, striking for its dark green hue, will add both color and texture to any exterior space. This shade-loving tropical can grow to a height of 3 feet, so be sure you plant it in a basket that provides room for expansion.
The Kimberly queen fern tolerates general potting soil well, but be sure to keep it well-watered without waterlogging the soil.
Also, don’t over-fertilize this fern; experts suggest fertilizing this plant every six months. If you don’t have a shady spot for your basket, this fern will tolerate partial sun quite well as long as you consistently meet its watering needs.
The hay-scented fern is an interesting choice for a hanging basket, but certainly a good choice. As its name implies, this fern features a hay-like fragrance that can leave your porch area with a fresh, country-inspired smell that’s pleasing.
The hay-scented fern can grow up to three feet tall, so be sure that your hanging basket is at least ten inches deep to provide sufficient room for growth. This fern does well in partial shade or partial sun, but it requires rich, well-draining soil and consistent moisture.
In the fall, this beauty’s lovely green fronds take on an orange hue that will add loads of curb appeal to your home’s exterior.
The maidenhair fern is a container-loving stunner that boasts unique, feathery foliage, but it has to be noted–it’s a bit of a diva. Insistent upon good air circulation as well as some humidity, the maidenhair fern should be placed in full or partial shade and provided with fertile, well-draining soil.
Be careful not to overwater this plant, or it could be susceptible to rot. If possible, water the maidenhair fern with distilled water and feed it with a liquid fertilizer about once a week.
If you need to bring this fern indoors during the winter, you can avoid fertilizing it. This fern features dazzling blue-green foliage that is sure to enliven your outdoor space. It will grow up to three feet, so be sure its basket allows for this potential growth.
Best Selling Baskets for Hanging Ferns
- Fit Your Patio Planters Nicely -- Homewill hanging plants basket are sturdy, the basket with coco liners are perfect and environmentally friendly. They are a popular choice for home furnishings, home gardening, balcony gardens, wedding decoration, greening projects.
- Natural Coco Fiber Liner -- All the liners are made from 100% natural coconut fiber with good air permeability. The pre-formed liner has a uniform thickness and is tightly pressed, which can be used well with the hanging basket.
- Keeps Moist Between Waterings -- These pads have a tight weave so you will not lose excessive amounts of water. The water and soil stay in. Plants can survive under your careful care. In addition, coconut liner can be composted and degraded when no longer needed.
- Strong and Easy To Use -- The Baskets, chains, and hooks are all made of iron, with strong load-bearing capacity, and sprayed with anti-rust coating. You just need to spread the lining in the prepared hanging basket and then put it in the soil and plants, and the planting work is easily completed.
- What You Will Get -- 4x 14" hanging baskets, 4x coco liners. The diameter is 14" and the depth is about 6.5". And our team is always ready to solve any problems you encounter during use. If you have any problem in use, please contact us.
- 【Modern Hanging Planters】Our hanging pots for indoor plants can create a healthy living environment for your plants. These vibrant indoor outdoor hanging planters are perfect for displaying most plants and well matching any home decorative styles. You can hang it or put it on the table. Matte imitation pottery surface, ideal for most living flower, grass, succulent, cactus’ planting.
- 【Humanized Design】Each hanging plant basket's bottom is designed with drainage holes, which can drain the excess water in the flowerpot in time without rotten roots. At the same time, it can ensure the respiration of the plant roots and promote plant growth. The tray can catch the overflowing water, prevent the flowerpot from dripping, and can store water to promote water circulation.
- 【Environmentally Friendly】 The hanging planters for indoor outdoor plants is made of premium quality plastic that is lightweight and resist damage from sun, rain, and impacts. If you have a child in your family, don’t worry, because it won't be broken. These hanging flower pots are lightweight and can adjustable to hang anywhere indoor and outdoor.
- 【Heavy-duty Chain Hanger】 Each hanging baskets outdoor comes with a heavy-duty iron triple-chain hanger, 15.5" length of chain, strong and balanced, ensuring secure support while hanging. The installation of the chain is also very simple. Stand up the hook at the chain's bottom. Pass the hook through the hole on the flowerpot front. Turn the hook horizontally. Align the bottom four holes and clamp tightly.
- 【Multi-purpose Hanging Baskets for Plants】If you want to experience the fun of planting while adding natural and artistic atmosphere to your house, it will be your best choice. If you are shopping for your family or friends, this will be a beautiful and practical gift. Perfect for housewarming, birthdays, weddings, christmas and more!
- [DURABLE MATERIAL, OUTDOOR WEATHER RESISTANCE] Our hanging plant pot are made of premium plastic material, the pots are very sturdy and durable and resistant to pressure. The wall thickness of the hanging pot is 5mm, thicker than the ordinary plastic hanging plant pot. The remarkable weather resistance of these hanging planters enables them to withstand strong sunlight and harsh cold without fading, cracking, peeling or deformation. You can enjoy these hanging pots in all kinds of weather.
- [UNIQUE SPOTS, DRAINAGE DESIGN] The hanging planter feature a unique marble spot design with a matt finish. The simple and elegant neutral white matches well with any home decor style. Similar in appearance to concrete but much lighter than ceramic or glass pots, they can be lifted and moved easily. Each hanging pot has 2 drain holes at the bottom with rubber plugs. Plug the holes to prevent dripping or remove the plugs to prevent overwatering. Creating healthy living conditions for your plants.
- [STRONG CHAINS, EASY TO USE] Hanging planter outdoor is easy to use and can be hung or placed. The sturdy, rust-proof triangular chain with hooks is strong enough to hold the balance better than rope and will not break or become mouldy. Just hook the 3 holes of the hanging plant pot with hooks to hang it up. It can be hung anywhere indoors or outdoors. If you are looking for a countertop planter, simply remove the chain and the flat bottom design ensures that it will not tip over.
- [MULTI-PURPOSE POTS] The hanging plant pot is 9'' in diameter and 4.3" high. The large capacity hanging pot is suitable for growing most small to medium sized plants such as cacti, herbs, succulents, ivy, flowers, ferns or other plants. They can also be used to hold fake flowers and artificial plants as decoration, adding a touch of greenery to your space. The hanging pot is ideal for decorating gardens, balcony, patio, porch, living rooms, offices, windows, lawn or any place in your home.
- [BONUS GIFT, SATISFACTION GUARANTEE] Your hanging pot set comes with 2pcs of 9 inch hanging baskets, 2 triangular chains with S-hooks, 2 extra S-hooks, 2 ceiling hooks for easy hanging. This hanging planter is a great gift for any gardening enthusiast. It can enhance the room and highlight the beauty of their home plants. If you have any problems with our outdoor hanging planter, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will provide you with a return or replacement.
- QUANTITY & DIMENSION : 4 Baksets for the price! 12" Diameter X 6.3" Depth for each piece,metal hanging plant basket planter wall basket wire hanging basket planter wall hanging planter basket chain basket planter basket planter liner large planter basket.
- MATERIAL : Strong Steel rod construction with Tough black Vinyl Coating for Rustproof.
- ACCESSORIES : Pre-formed coco liner conveniently secured to hanging basket.
- RUSTPROOF COAT : Poweder coated chains and hook attached to basket hanging plants, all powder coated! Rustproof and safe to use outdoor.
- MULTI USE : Coconut Liner Rope hanging planter basket hanging basket Hanging Decorative Flower Plant Pot plant hanger plant pots iron plant stand stands flower pot holders pot stand plant stand plant stands indoor storage shelves plant caddy metal plant stand plant stands
- ✅🦋 Unique Design - This basket planter combined butterfly pattern on its outer pot, highlight any floral or plant display with its unique design, rust-resistant finish. Use natural coco liner and a hanging chain are included for ease in displaying your gorgeous plants and flowers.
- ✅🦋 Basket Liner - Liner woven from 100% natural coconut fibre, the coir liners are also heavy duty, it allows water to drain through and keep your plants healthy.
- ✅🦋 Outstanding Quality - This beautiful planter basket is crafted of premium quality coated metal which will remain rust-free in all weather conditions. Great weight to the metal and well welded. Metal hooks and chains are sturdy and holding up well in the elements.
- ✅🦋 Nicely Sized - 10" Diameter X 5" Depth, chain length (included hook) is 17". This hanging plant pot are appropriate for vining petunias and other draping plants. It work out pretty well.
- ✅🦋 Hanging Occasion: Coconut liner hanging flower baskets decorate your terrace, porch, lawn, garden, deck, balcony or sun room. It is very suitable for the cultivation of live flowers, grasses, succulents, cacti, and can even accommodate fake plants for home, office, garden, porch, balcony and window sill decoration.
Ferns are susceptible to freezing, so if you live in a setting that experiences frost, you should plan to bring your ferns inside for the winter. With these care tips in mind, these ferns should thrive in your basket and enhance the look of your home’s outdoor space.