Ferns love moist soil and shady conditions, but some are even known to thrive in hanging baskets.
While a fern requires more devotion and routine care when placed in a container environment than when planted in the ground, this extra labor has a definite payoff in the form of a lush and healthy fern.
Ferns in hanging baskets can dramatically improve the curb appeal of your home or add botanical charm to your patio space.
As long as you adhere to their specific sunlight, water, and fertilizer needs, the following ferns are among the ideal choices for hanging baskets.
A happy and healthy Boston fern is a marvelous sight to behold. These old beauties pair amazingly well with even minimalist and modern home structures. Boston ferns do best in settings with full to partial shade. It’s common to find these ferns hanging beneath awnings or within screened porches where they have some protection from the sun.
Line your basket with rich organic soil before placing your greenery within it. These plants require consistently moist soil but take care not to overwater so that the earth becomes waterlogged.
The Boston fern is a light feeder, so you want to go easy on the fertilizer. A diluted, water-soluble fertilizer works best.
Boston ferns can grow quite large (up to three feet high and four feet wide), so be sure to hoist your plant up in a medium-to-large basket to accommodate its growth habit.
The lady fern, known more formally as Athyrium, is a real charmer with its ornamental fronds and medium-green hue. Lady ferns require full to partial shade to thrive. One of the great things about this fern is its low-maintenance care requirements.
Outfit your basket with decent potting soil and be sure to water your lady fern routinely so that the dirt stays moist but not boggy. Lady ferns grow to about 20 inches tall so be sure to hang them with their growth habit in mind. Plan to fertilize your fern about once each month with a water-soluble fertilizer.
Although this fern looks beautiful on its own, it pairs well with other plants to create an eye-catching mixed arrangement.
Kimberly Queen Fern
The Kimberly queen fern is a real showstopper, which is why it often gets a prominent spot on front porches or patios. Kimberly is sometimes called a sword fern because its straight, narrow fronds grow outward.
This fern, striking for its dark green hue, will add both color and texture to any exterior space. This shade-loving tropical can grow to a height of 3 feet, so be sure you plant it in a basket that provides room for expansion.
The Kimberly queen fern tolerates general potting soil well, but be sure to keep it well-watered without waterlogging the soil.
Also, don’t over-fertilize this fern; experts suggest fertilizing this plant every six months. If you don’t have a shady spot for your basket, this fern will tolerate partial sun quite well as long as you consistently meet its watering needs.
The hay-scented fern is an interesting choice for a hanging basket, but certainly a good choice. As its name implies, this fern features a hay-like fragrance that can leave your porch area with a fresh, country-inspired smell that’s pleasing.
The hay-scented fern can grow up to three feet tall, so be sure that your hanging basket is at least ten inches deep to provide sufficient room for growth. This fern does well in partial shade or partial sun, but it requires rich, well-draining soil and consistent moisture.
In the fall, this beauty’s lovely green fronds take on an orange hue that will add loads of curb appeal to your home’s exterior.
The maidenhair fern is a container-loving stunner that boasts unique, feathery foliage, but it has to be noted–it’s a bit of a diva. Insistent upon good air circulation as well as some humidity, the maidenhair fern should be placed in full or partial shade and provided with fertile, well-draining soil.
Be careful not to overwater this plant, or it could be susceptible to rot. If possible, water the maidenhair fern with distilled water and feed it with a liquid fertilizer about once a week.
If you need to bring this fern indoors during the winter, you can avoid fertilizing it. This fern features dazzling blue-green foliage that is sure to enliven your outdoor space. It will grow up to three feet, so be sure its basket allows for this potential growth.
Best Selling Baskets for Hanging Ferns
- Modern Hanging Planters: Our hanging pots for indoor plants can create a healthy living environment for your plants. These vibrant indoor outdoor hanging planters are perfect for displaying most plants and well matching any home decorative styles. You can hang it or put it on the table. Matte imitation pottery surface, ideal for most living flower, grass, succulent, cactus’ planting.
- Humanized Design: Each hanging plant basket's bottom is designed with drainage holes, which can drain the excess water in the flowerpot in time without rotten roots. At the same time, it can ensure the respiration of the plant roots and promote plant growth. The tray can catch the overflowing water, prevent the flowerpot from dripping, and can store water to promote water circulation.
- Environmentally Friendly: The hanging planters for indoor outdoor plants is made of premium quality plastic that is lightweight and resist damage from sun, rain, and impacts. If you have a child in your family, don’t worry, because it won't be broken. These hanging flower pots are lightweight and can adjustable to hang anywhere indoor and outdoor.
- Heavy-duty Chain Hanger: Each hanging baskets outdoor comes with a heavy-duty iron triple-chain hanger, 15.5'' length of chain, strong and balanced, ensuring secure support while hanging. The installation of the chain is also very simple. Stand up the hook at the chain's bottom. Pass the hook through the hole on the flowerpot front. Turn the hook horizontally. Align the bottom four holes and clamp tightly.
- Multi-purpose Hanging Baskets for Plants: If you want to experience the fun of planting while adding natural and artistic atmosphere to your house, it will be your best choice. If you are shopping for your family or friends, this will be a beautiful and practical gift. Perfect for housewarming, birthdays, weddings, christmas and more!
- 【Modern Elegant Hanging Planters】Our hanging pots for indoor plants can create a healthy living environment for your plants. These vibrant and colorful indoor outdoor hanging planter are perfect for displaying most plants and well matching any home decorative styles. Ideal for most living flower, grass, succulent, cactus’ planting.
- 【Heavy-duty Chain Hanger】 Each hanging baskets outdoor comes with a heavy-duty iron triple-chain hanger, 15.5" length of chain, strong and balanced, ensuring secure support while hanging. The installation of the chain is also very simple. You can directly buckle the clips into the preset hole of the flower pot and then hang it for use.
- 【Indoor & Outdoor Self-watering】 Each hanging plant holders equipped with a perforated insert and drainage plug that can hold soil above bottom of pot, allowing excess water to get through and hydrate soil as needed. Not only avoid excess water rotting the root but also help storage water and prevent your plant from drought.
- 【Environmentally Friendly】 The hanging planters for indoor outdoor plants is made of premium quality plastic that is lightweight and resist damage from sun, rain, and impacts. If you have a child in your family, don’t worry, because it won't be broken. These hanging flower pots are lightweight and can adjustable to hang anywhere indoor and outdoor.
- 【Multi-purpose Hanging Baskets for Plants】If you want to experience the fun of planting while adding natural and artistic atmosphere to your house, it will be your best choice. If you are shopping for your family or friends, this will be a beautiful and practical gift. Perfect for housewarming, birthdays, weddings, christmas and more!
- STYLISH AND UNIQUE - The modern, vintage-inspired plant hanger adds the perfect touch to your room and living room. This beauty would be gracing your home or balcony garden, or brightening up an office. Easily add some special to your beautiful bohemian home decor, sweet farmhouse decor, or modern minimalist style.
- ORIGINAL DESIGN AND DISTINCTIVE CRAFT - Handmade by our talented artisans, this plant holder is made using 100% Pure cotton cord. Mkono hanging plant stand has a strong flexible woven design that can accommodate various shapes and sizes of planters. At 35 inches long, it is perfect for planters up to 9 inches in diameter. (POTS NOT INCLUDED)
- EASY TO HANG IN ANY SPACE - The hangers are suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Just expand the 4 leg strings, put the plant pot in the middle of the conjunction. It is great for boho home decor, make your life become unique. Hanging plant holder can be used for living room, kitchen, hall, patio, high and low ceiling.
- AN UNUSUAL AND UNIQUE GIFT - Are you looking for that something special? This is one of those gifts that you can give to anyone on any occasion, birthdays, housewarming, anniversaries, Christmas or any other meansful days.
- BUY YOURS NOW for yourself or for someone you love and make a Boho fashion statement in your home. However much or little you choose to use this look, have fun with it. Mkono is a registered trademark and our product is professional manufacturing and sole selling.
- Self Watering Pot: Cotton rope in the tall self watering planter for indoor plants absorb water
from bottom and keep the soil moist. Plant wick pots store water can feed plants for two weeks
or more. It makes your travel or business trip an big ease! Plants Not Included!
- Visible Water Level: Our hanging pots for plants outdoor, made of premium PET Superior
Transparent material, making you observe water level easily conveniently from our hanging
basket for plants indoor planter and not forget filling water into pot.
- Inner Pot With Drainage Holes: Double-layers design, inner pot with 12 drainage holes which
drain excess water to the bottom of outer pot and give plant roots air flow. The stored water is
absorbed by the wick rope to feed the plants in return. Hanging planter with drainage!
- Versatile: The hanging plant basket outdoor with removable detachable hanging chains, either be
hanging outdoor like patio, garden, balcony, covered porch, or indoor like in kitchen, living room,
dining room, bedroom, windowsill. Flat bottom also make it can sit without chains on desktop.
The African violet pot planter hanging self watering lightweight is ideal for succulents, cacti,
orchids, ivy, kitchen herbs, flowers, tomato, ferns, begonias, impatiens, petunias, pothos and
other cascading plants or houseplants. Hanging window planter!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: We hope you love your purchase, therefore we strive to satisfy each
customer. If for any reason you are not satisfied, we offer full refunds and returns. Please note
there are many force majeure during transportation. If the plastic hanging planters for indoor
plants you receive are not intact, we will solve it for you.
- ✅ DURABLE MATERIAL:The frame is made of iron and the pot of coconut liner. Chains and hooks are powder coated for rustproof. It can resist the weather without flaking, fading, cracking
- ✅ THE COCONUT LINER: Made from 100% natural coconut fiber, coco liner keeps plant moisture and secures to hanging basket conveniently.Pre-formed coco liner conveniently secured to hanging basket.
- ✅ EASY TO USE: Chains and hook come installed, assembles quickly without tool. With heavy duty iron frame, three chain hanger, thickened coconut palm pad, it is strong and balanced for good bearing capacity
- ✅ UNIQUE DESIGN: 2 Baksets. 12" Diameter X 6.3" Depth for each piece. The length of the rope is 12.2’’. Great for living flowers, grass, succulent, cactus’ planting or even holding fake plants for home, office, garden, porch, balcony and windowsill decoration.
- ✅ GUARANTEED SATISFACTION - Are you are unhappy with the purchase, please let us know for a free replacement or full refund, no questions asked. Click ‘Add to Cart’ now!
Last update on 2023-02-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ferns are susceptible to freezing, so if you live in a setting that experiences frost, you should plan to bring your ferns inside for the winter. With these care tips in mind, these ferns should thrive in your basket and enhance the look of your home’s outdoor space.