Dried flowers are a beautiful and versatile way to add a touch of nature to your home decor. Not only are they long-lasting, but they also come in a variety of colours, shapes, and sizes. Dried flowers have enjoyed a lot of popularity over the ages, especially in Victorian times.
Back then, dried blooms and leaves were used for their fragrance and ornamental value. Today, dried flowers are enjoying a resurgence in popularity as more and more plant lovers are looking for creative ways to preserve their blooms and florists find innovative ways to create eco-friendly bouquets. In fact, dried flowers are so popular nowadays, that you’ll find a lot of stunning dried flower bouquet designs and dried flower DIY content all over the internet.
In this guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about dried flowers, including how to select, care for, and display them in your home.
Watch Our Latest YouTube Video ...
What are dried flowers?
Dried flowers are flowers that have been dried and preserved through a process of removing moisture. This process helps the flowers to maintain their shape, colour, and texture, making them ideal for use in a wide range of home decor projects. Dried flowers can be used in floral arrangements, wreaths, potpourri, and even as decoration on a gift wrap or stationary.
Selecting dried flowers
When selecting dried flowers, it’s important to consider the type of flower, the quality of the flowers, and the colour and texture of the blooms. Some popular types of dried flowers include roses, hydrangeas, lavender, and baby’s breath. When choosing dried flowers, look for blooms that are still intact and haven’t lost their colour or shape. Flowers that are brittle or discoloured are not suitable for use in home decor.
It’s also important to consider the colour and texture of the blooms. Dried flowers come in a wide range of colours, from bright and bold to muted and neutral. Consider the colour scheme of your home decor when selecting dried flowers, and choose blooms that complement your existing colour palette. The texture of the blooms is also important. Some dried flowers, like lavender, have a soft, velvety texture, while others, like baby’s breath, have a more delicate, airy texture.
What type of flowers makes the best-dried flowers?
Dried flowers have become increasingly popular in recent years due to their long-lasting beauty and sustainability. While many flowers can be dried, some types of flowers are better suited for drying than others. Below we will explore some of the best types of flowers for drying, their characteristics, and tips for how to dry them properly.
Lavender is a popular flower for drying, and for good reason. Its delicate purple flowers and pleasant fragrance make it a popular choice for creating sachets, potpourri, and other fragrant crafts. It is a hardy plant that can withstand the drying process without losing its colour or shape. Once dried, it can last for several years without fading or deteriorating, making it an excellent choice for decorative purposes. Dried lavender can be used in a variety of ways, including as a decorative element in floral arrangements, wreaths, and other crafts. It is also commonly used in culinary applications, such as flavouring for desserts and beverages.
Roses are relatively easy to dry, requiring only a few simple steps. They can be air-dried by hanging them upside down in a warm, dry, and dark place for several days, or they can be dried using a dehydrator. Dried roses have a long shelf life and can last for several years if properly dried and stored. They are widely considered one of the most beautiful and romantic flowers. When dried, their vibrant colours and unique textures are often preserved, making them a popular choice for decorative purposes.
3. Baby’s Breath
Baby’s breath flowers are small, which makes them easy to dry and store. They can be dried in small bunches, which take up less space than larger flowers, and can be easily used in smaller projects. When dried properly, baby’s breath flowers can last for years. This makes them a great choice for use in home decor, crafting, and other applications where long-term preservation is desired. Baby’s breath flowers retain their white or light pink colour when dried, which makes them a popular choice for use in wedding arrangements and other formal occasions. The colour also makes them easy to pair with other flowers and colours.
Statice is a hardy and long-lasting flower that comes in a variety of colours, making it a popular choice for drying and creating colourful floral arrangements. They come in a wide range of colours, including pink, purple, blue, and yellow. When dried, statice flowers retain their unique texture, which includes a papery feel and a delicate, almost translucent appearance. Dried statice is a popular choice for wreaths, swags, and other decorative projects.
Eucalyptus is a popular greenery for drying. It comes in many different varieties, each with its unique look and texture and has a distinct, refreshing scent that is often used in aromatherapy and natural remedies. Dried eucalyptus maintains its natural appearance, including its distinctive leaves and branches. This makes it a popular choice for use in natural and rustic decor styles, as well as in more modern and minimalist settings.
Dried strawflowers are known for their long-lasting nature and can retain their vibrant colours and unique texture for years, making them a practical and cost-effective choice for home decor and crafting projects. They come in a wide range of colours, including yellow, orange, pink, red, and white. Dried strawflowers are an eco-friendly choice for home decor and crafting projects, as they are a sustainable and renewable resource. Additionally, they can be composted at the end of their useful life, making them an environmentally conscious choice.
Hydrangeas are a beautiful and popular flower for drying. One of the most distinctive features of dried hydrangeas is their large size. The blooms can measure up to 20 cm in diameter, which is much larger than most other dried flowers. Hydrangeas come in a range of colours, from white and pink to blue and purple. The blooms retain their original colour when dried, which is not always the case with other dried flowers that can fade or change colour. Their vintage and nostalgic appearance is often times associated with shabby-chic and rustic decor styles.
8. Globe Amaranth
Globe amaranth is a type of flower that has several unique qualities that set it apart from other dried flowers. One of the most distinctive features of globe amaranth is its shape. The flowers are small, round, and densely packed, which gives them a unique, almost spherical appearance. Globe amaranth has symbolic meaning in many cultures. In some cultures, it is associated with immortality and is used in funeral wreaths and other memorial arrangements. In other cultures, it is associated with love and is used in wedding bouquets and other romantic arrangements. They are easy to dry and make a great choice for any craft project.
Sunflowers are beautiful and iconic flowers that can be dried to create a unique and eye-catching display. The first distinctive feature is their size. The blooms can measure up to 30 cm in diameter, which is much larger than other dried flowers. Sunflowers also have a unique texture that includes a rough, almost spiky appearance. This texture gives them a distinctive look that can add interest and texture to floral arrangements and other decorative projects. Sunflowers have symbolic meanings in many cultures. In some cultures, they are associated with the sun and with warmth and happiness. In other cultures, they are associated with longevity and loyalty. This symbolism makes them a popular choice for use in home decor and other projects.
Celosia is a unique and colourful flower that dries well and retains its shape and colour. One of the most distinctive features of celosia is its shape. The flowers are made up of densely packed, velvety, and feathery blooms that can resemble a rooster’s comb or a brain-like structure. This unique appearance makes celosia a popular choice for adding texture and interest to floral arrangements and other decorative projects. It comes in a range of colours including pink, red, orange, yellow and purple and has a velvety, almost suede-like texture.
In general, flowers with sturdy petals and strong stems tend to dry better than delicate and fragile flowers. Flowers with a low moisture content and a high oil content, such as lavender and eucalyptus, also tend to dry well. Flowers with high-water content, such as daisies and tulips, are more difficult to dry and are not recommended for drying.
Many types of flowers make great dried flowers. Lavender, roses, baby’s breath, statice, eucalyptus, strawflowers, hydrangeas, globe amaranth, sunflowers, and celosia are just a few of the many options available. When selecting flowers for drying, it is important to choose those with sturdy petals and strong stems, as well as a low moisture content and a high oil content. With the proper techniques and care, dried flowers can last for years and can be used in a variety of crafts and floral arrangements.
Flower drying methods
Drying flowers is a great way to preserve their beauty and use them for decorative purposes long after their natural bloom has ended. There are a few different methods for drying flowers, each with its pros and cons. Here are some of the most popular flower-drying methods:
- Air Drying: Air drying is one of the easiest and most natural methods for drying flowers. Simply gather the stems of the flowers you want to dry and tie them together with string or a rubber band. Hang them upside down in a warm, dry, and dark place for several weeks until they are completely dry. This method works well for flowers with sturdy stems, such as lavender or roses, but may not work as well for delicate or bulky blooms.
- Pressing: Pressing flowers is another popular method for drying flowers. To press flowers, place them between the pages of a heavy book, with a layer of parchment paper between the flowers and the pages to prevent ink transfer. Leave them for a few weeks until they are completely dry and flat. Pressed flowers can be used for a variety of crafts, including scrapbooking or card making.
- Silica Gel: Silica gel is a drying agent that can be purchased at most craft stores. It is a type of sand that is designed to absorb moisture and is ideal for drying delicate or bulky flowers, such as peonies or hydrangeas. To use silica gel, fill a container with enough gel to cover the flowers completely, and bury the flowers in the gel. Leave them for several days until they are completely dry. This method works well for preserving the natural colour and shape of the flowers.
- Microwave: Drying flowers in the microwave is a quick and easy method that is ideal for drying small batches of flowers. To use this method, place the flowers in a microwave-safe container and cover them with a layer of silica gel. Microwave them on a low heat setting for several minutes until they are completely dry. This method is not recommended for delicate flowers, as they may become damaged in the process.
- Oven Drying: Oven drying is a method that is similar to microwave drying but is better suited for larger batches of flowers. To use this method, place the flowers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the oven on the lowest heat setting for several hours until they are completely dry. This method works well for flowers with thick stems and petals, but may not work as well for delicate or thin blooms.
Overall, the method you choose for drying your flowers will depend on the type of flowers you have, the quantity you want to dry, and the time and resources you have available. Regardless of the method you choose, it’s important to handle your flowers with care and make sure they are completely dry before using them for any decorative purposes. With a little practice, you can create beautiful dried flower arrangements that will last for months or even years.
- Package details: this package comes with 68 pieces of real dried pressed flowers leaves and 1 piece of curved tweezers, the dried flowers come in different styles, you will be impressed by these beautiful plants
- Natural and real: colorful dried and pressed flowers are in different varieties, which are well made by real flowers in right seasons, natural in style and elegant in appearance, which are nice supplies for various DIY crafts work
- DIY as you want: just mix and match these multiple natural resin dried flower in different color or you can use them directly in whole, you can DIY these dried pressed flowers in your own way, and please share the fun with friends or family, enhancing the relationship between you
- Nice packaging: all these assorted real pressed dried flowers are transparent vacuum packaged, so as to protect the resin flowers during the ship; Please note that the shape and color of the flowers may vary from the pictures since they're natural
- Different usages: natural pressed flowers for resin can be widely applied for nail art, resin molds, DIY jewelry design, resin phone case, note card, stationery, wedding invitations, envelopes, stained glass, bookmarks, candle makers, soap making, table decorations, scrapbooking, furniture and wood workings
- 🌺KINDS OF FLOWERS - This set includes 9 bags -7g/ Bags natural dried flower herbs: Rose petals,Rose,Gomphrena,Lavender,Don`t forget me,Lily,Jasmine,Colorful Chrysanthemum,Red plum. Keep in a dry environment or refrigerator to prevent insect breeding.
- ● 🌺100% NATURAL FLOWER - These fresh buds and petals are picked off during the perfect season,no artificial colorant, without additives, naturally dried, retaining the scent and color of the original flowers.We do our best to ensure that you will get pure natural dried flowers.
- 🌺DIY CRAFT MAKING - This natural dried herbs set is rich in antioxidants and provides healing,it also comes with 2 mesh drawstring bag which allow and A pair of tweezers you to make resin jewelry, bath tea, floral water,toners or use the whole flower as candle decor.
- ● 🌺CARE FOR SKIN - These flowers and herbs contain antioxidants and emollients,you can use it to make your own cleanser, moisturizer, inflammation reliever, soap, toner, lotion and perfume.
- ● 🌺NICE PACKAGE - All flowers in one carton,Each flower is individually packed in a sealed bag and label clearly which ensure all fragrances are blocked in their bags and are not covered by other floral scents. The bag can be resealed after use, easy to store.It’s a great gift for your family member or friends.Tip: The dry petals are not edible.
- 🌼140 PCS Natural Pressed Flowers in Total🌼Made of Natural Pressed flowers and greenery, 140 Pcs Cruzix Dry Flowers Kit keeps the color, shape and scent as fresh herbs, they are suitable gifts for your family members or friends who are craft lovers, also large quantity flowers can be used to make meaningful crafts or home office decorations.
- 🌼Beautiful colors & Nice Variety🌼Colorful various flowers are enough for scrapbooks decorations, resin supplies, resin fillers and epoxy molds such as combs, coasters, keychains, Handmade Jewelry, resin frame inside tiny flowers, Multi-used for daily like Soap, Bath Bombs, Candle Making Supplies, Phone Case DIY, Handmade Jewelry, Face Makeup, Nail Art, with vibrant colors (Green, Pink, Purple, Yellow, Red, Orange) that will immediately highlight your creation.
- 🌼Sealed Safely in Airtight Package🌼Vacuumed sealed package helps to prevent breakage or damage during shipping, and ensure that each flower was intact.4 pack individuals flatten portable packages make you use dried flowers more convenient; the variety of flower species and colors is nice and the size worked well for dry flowers art project.
- 🌼Kindness Notice🌼Due to the flexibility of the dried flowers, Please place it in the resin molds carefully, and do not place the flowers and leaves in direct sunlight, which will cause the colors to fade and become less vibrant.
- ☎Friendly Service☎ When you receive the plain stems flowers were damaged or the package was broken up, please do not hesitate to contact us, we promise that we can re-send you another a new one within 24 hours without any fees.
Last update on 2023-07-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Caring for dried flowers
Dried flowers are long-lasting, but they do require some basic care to ensure they look their best. First, it’s important to store dried flowers in a cool, dry place. This helps to prevent moisture from building up, which can cause the flowers to become moldy or discoloured.
It’s also a good idea to dust dried flowers regularly to remove any dirt or debris that may accumulate on the blooms. You can do this by gently brushing the flowers with a soft-bristled brush or using a can of compressed air to blow away any debris.
When it comes to cleaning dried flowers, it’s important to be gentle. Some dried flowers, like delicate baby’s breath, can easily fall apart if handled too roughly. To clean dried flowers, you can use a soft cloth or a gentle stream of air to remove any dust or debris.
Uses for dried flowers
Dried flowers have a variety of uses, from decorating your home to creating handmade crafts. Here are some of the most popular ways to use dried flowers:
Home Decor: One of the most common uses for dried flowers is in home decor. Dried flowers can add a natural and rustic touch to any room, whether displayed in a vase or as part of a larger floral arrangement. They can be used to create a centrepiece on a dining table, as a decorative accent on a bookshelf or coffee table, or even hung as a wreath on a door or wall.
Weddings: Dried flowers are becoming an increasingly popular choice for wedding decor. They can be used to create bridal bouquets, boutonnieres, and floral arrangements for the ceremony and reception. Dried flowers also make great favours for guests to take home and enjoy long after the wedding is over.
Crafts: Dried flowers can be used for a variety of DIY crafts, including pressed flower art, wreath-making, and floral arrangements. They can also be used to make homemade potpourri, sachets, or scented candles.
Gifting: Dried flowers make a great gift for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, or just because. A dried flower bouquet or arrangement can be a unique and thoughtful gift that will last for a long time.
Culinary: Some types of dried flowers, such as lavender or rose petals, can be used in culinary applications. They can be used to infuse flavour in syrups, teas, or baked goods, or used as a decorative garnish on desserts or cocktails.
Medicine: Many types of dried flowers are used in traditional medicine practices for their healing properties. For example, chamomile and calendula can be used to soothe skin irritations, while echinacea is believed to boost the immune system.
In addition to these common uses, dried flowers can also be used to create unique and personalized projects that showcase your creativity and individual style. Some examples include using dried flowers to create a wreath for your front door, creating a shadow box with your favourite blooms, or using them to create a DIY wedding arch or backdrop. Overall, dried flowers are a versatile and beautiful addition to any home, event, or craft project. Whether you choose to display them in a vase or use them to create a handmade gift or craft project, dried flowers are a unique and sustainable way of adding a bit of nature to your life.
Displaying dried flowers
Dried flowers can be displayed in a variety of ways, from simple vases to elaborate floral arrangements. When it comes to displaying dried flowers, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure they look their best.
First, consider the vessel you’ll be using to display the flowers. A simple glass vase is a classic choice that allows the beauty of the dried flowers to shine. You can also use a decorative urn or a rustic clay pot for a more rustic look. Whatever vessel you choose, make sure it’s clean and dry before adding the dried flowers.
When arranging dried flowers, it’s important to consider the shape and size of the blooms. Some dried flowers, like roses, have a large, bold shape that can be used as a focal point in an arrangement. Other flowers, like baby’s breath, have a more delicate, airy texture that can be used to fill in the spaces between larger blooms.
It’s also important to consider the colour scheme of the arrangement. You can create a monochromatic arrangement using a single colour of dried flowers, or you can mix and match different colours for a more eclectic look. Whatever colour scheme you choose, make sure it complements the existing decor in the room where the arrangement will be displayed.
Another way to display dried flowers is by creating a wreath. Dried flower wreaths can be hung on a door or wall for a beautiful and natural touch of decor. To create a wreath, start with a wreath form, which can be made of wire, grapevine, or foam. Then, attach the dried flowers to the form using floral wire or hot glue.
If you’re looking for a unique way to display dried flowers, consider creating a shadow box. A shadow box is a glass-fronted frame that allows you to display three-dimensional objects, like dried flowers. To create a dried flower shadow box, select a variety of blooms and arrange them in a pleasing way inside the frame. You can also add other elements, like branches or feathers, to create a natural and textural display.
One popular trend in dried flower decor is using them in a dried flower bouquet. These are perfect for centrepieces, wedding bouquets, or other special events. They are perfect as they will last much longer than fresh flowers, and are a more sustainable option. Dried flowers are a beautiful addition to any home decor, but they can also be used in a variety of DIY projects. A few ideas that will help you start are:
- Create a dried flower crown. To create a flower crown, select a variety of small dried flowers and arrange them on a wire or twine base. Then, attach the flowers to the base using floral wire or hot glue.
- Make dried flower potpourri. To make potpourri, mix dried flowers with other natural elements, like cinnamon sticks, citrus peels, or herbs. Place the mixture in a decorative bowl or jar and enjoy the natural fragrance.
- Use dried flowers to decorate gift wraps or greeting cards. Attach a small dried flower to the ribbon on a wrapped gift or use a dried flower to decorate a homemade greeting card.
- Create a dried flower sachet. Fill a small drawstring bag with a mixture of dried flowers and herbs. Place the sachet in a drawer or closet for a natural and fragrant touch.
Dried flowers are a beautiful and sustainable way to add a touch of nature to your home decor. Whether you choose to display them in a vase or create a more elaborate floral arrangement, dried flowers can bring colour and texture to any room. With proper care, dried flowers can last for months or even years, making them a worthwhile investment for any home decorator. While cut fresh flowers symbolize different things like youth, beauty and fleeting life, dried flowers are everlasting, so they symbolize longevity and
immortality. With this complete guide to dried flowers, you have everything you need to select, care for, and display your beautiful arrangement.
Are you a fan of drying flowers or do you enjoy using dried flowers to decorate your home? Share your thoughts in the comment section!