What’s the best way to describe Crinkle-Leaf plants? A lovely look, easy-to-care-for, and a tiny size.
Crinkle-Leaf plants are perfect for beginners who want to add more succulents to their plant collection. These small and slow-growing succulents belong to the Crassulaceae family. You can easily notice them by their fleshy, triangular-shaped leaves in pale-green color and crinkle tips. The leaves of Crinkle-leaf plants are covered in tiny and soft white hairs, which gives them a fuzzy look and they can grow up to 2 inches (5 cm) and 1 inch (1,5 cm) wide.
Crinkle-Leaf plants can be great decorations in every corner of your home or office that needs a little pinch of green. They pair perfectly with colorful containers and pots and you can use them to create fantastic arrangements.
- Crinkle-Leaf plants are soft succulents native to the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa.
- The botanical name of Crinkle-Leaf plants is Adromischus Cristatus, but they are also known as ‘Key Lime Pie Plants’ and ‘Cotyledon Cristata’.
- This plant is commonly found in nurseries and you can use it as decoration wherever you want, be it your home or office. Thanks to its tiny size, you can place it on your office desk, for example, if you want to add some greenery to inspire you.
- Crinkle-Leaf plants prefer warm temperatures and full sun to grow. They are versatile and can be grown indoors as long as you place them in a spot with bright, direct light, such as a window ledge.
- These succulents thrive in sunny rooms or even outdoors if the climate in your area has frost-free weather.
- If you grow your Crinkle-Leaf plant indoors, make sure you keep it away from pets and kids. As adorable as it might look, this succulent can be toxic to animals and people with low immunity if ingested. So, place your plant in a location that is not easily accessible by curious kids or pets.
- Being succulents, these plants need well-drained soil that allows the water to pass through it easily. You can quickly achieve well-drained soil by mixing sand with a good quality potting mix.
- Compared to other succulents, Crinkle-Leaf plants tend to need less water. We recommend using the „soak and dry” method to water your Crinkle-Leaf plant that consists of allowing the soil to dry out completely between waterings. This way, you’ll know for sure that you are not overwatering your plant.
- Crinkle-Leaf plants prefer warm, dry conditions to grow. For these plants, the average household temperatures and humidity levels are adequate. This is yet another compelling reason to grow Adromischus cristatus: they adapt well to your home conditions.
- These plants bloom in the spring, producing small, tubular-shaped flowers that don’t have a significant fragrance.
Crinkle-Leaf Features: An Overview
- Crinkle-Leaf plants are succulents with branched stems that have a triangular shape. Their leaves are pale-green, have undulate tips, and are covered in tiny white hairs.
- The Crinkle-Leaf plant can reach up to 2 inches (5 cm) tall and 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide, with flowering stems that can have up to 8 inches (20 cm) tall.
- In the spring, Crinkle-Leaf plants bloom with small, tubular-shaped, reddish-white flowers and green tips. The flowers of these plants grow on an 8 inches (20 cm) long stem.
- The mature size of Crinkle-Leaf plants is 6 inches (15 cm) tall.
- Although it is a tiny succulent plant, it can spread horizontally quite quickly if you provide it enough space to grow.
- Thanks to its tiny size and cute appearance, you can plant your Crinckle-Leaf plant in a colorful container and use it as a lovely decoration for any spot in your house that needs some greenery.
We’ve already mentioned that Crinkle-Leaf plants are really easy to grow because they can easily adapt to indoor environments. If you are ready to start your succulent journey, Crinkle-Leaf plants are a great choice for beginners.
In general, Crinkle-Leaf plants have the same needs as most succulents and cacti. They thrive in warm temperatures, above 50 °F (10° C), and lots of light. Also, these plants prefer bright and direct sunlight, which is why it is best to keep them in sunny spots of your home or office, such as window ledges. But even if they like sunlight, you should still protect them from extreme heat and afternoon sun.
Another great thing about Crinkle-Leaf plants is that they can survive in temperatures down to freezing and can also adapt to reduced light if necessary.
If you provide your Crinkle-Leaf plant its ideal growing conditions, it will flower over the spring or summer months and produce lovely reddish-white flowers that will grow on a tall stem from the main plant.
- Size of ivy vines: 78.7 inches / 2 meters each vine leaf garland, with two sizes of artificial ivy leaves. Large hanging leaves: about 4.5 cm * 4.5 cm / 1.77 inches * 1.77 inches, small hanging leaves: about 3.5 cm * 3.5 cm / 1.37 "* 1.37"
- Material of green vines: The faux ivy leaves are made of silk and the stems are made of plastic. There are 24 strands such artificial ivy vines.
- Maintenance of fake vines：The artificial fake ivy garland is evergreen, and the silk hanging leaves are dense and will not easily be damaged or faded. The fake hanging leaves don’t need to be cleaned daily.
- Uses of ivy garlands：Artificial hanging plants with LED strip lights can be used for wedding wall decor, artificial vines for bedrooms, wall vines for room decor, fake leaves for gardens greenery backdrop, party, swing sets, enchanted forest decorations, easy to install and disassemble.
- Note: The artificial ivy vine is dyed and processed. It is normal for fake leaves to smell. Please put fake leaves in a ventilated environment after receiving them, and the smell will quickly dissipate.
- We package and wrap each plant individually with the utmost care. We are very accomodating and receptive. Feel free to message for any issues or requests.
- House plants are always healthy and gorgeous and it won't be hard to keep them that way. We have 3 main types of plants in our store, following these tips will ensure their and your happiness.
- There are Succulents, Cacti, and Leafy Foliage which are perfect indoor house plants. Succulents and Cacti should be watered only when their soil is dried. Foliage should always stay moist.
- Check our store to see all these types of plants and more like carnivorous, hoyas, and other wildly unique house plants.
- All our plants prefer to be in a bright shade (i.e.: not direct sunlight). They grow amazingly indoors and outdoors. The plants are also very low maintenance.
- ANTI AGING FACE SERUM - Vitamin C blends with Botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil in an anti aging, skin brightening formula designed to improve wrinkles and dark spots
- OUR CUSTOMERS KNOW BEST - Don't just take our word for it, see thousands of reviews from real Amazon customers rave about brighter, fresher looking skin
- PLANT-BASED FORMULATION - No added synthetic colors, fragrances, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, PEGs, or GMOs. Our active botanicals combine in a silky smooth anti-aging serum that can be used day or night.
- CERTIFIED CRUELTY FREE by Leaping Bunny, our Vitamin C facial serum is also formulated, manufactured and bottled in the USA for guaranteed freshness
- EXTENDED MANUFACTURER GUARANTEE - Love it or your money back! If for any reason you decide this product isn't a good fit for your skin, we offer a 90-day money-back refund. The expiration date is printed on the barcode sticker attached to the packaging.
How to Plant Crinkle-Leaf
Crinkle-Leaf plants are sun-loving and only survive in warm temperatures. So, if you live in an area that gets colder than 20°F (-6,7° C) during the cold season, it’s best to plant them in containers and bring them indoors during these months.
If you want to plant your Crinkle-Leaf plant outdoors in your garden, keep in mind that you need to find a sunny spot that gets a lot of direct sunlight for at least 6 hours every day. If you plant it in a container to keep it indoors, place the container in a sunny room, preferably next to the window.
Another essential aspect to keep in mind when planting Crinkle-Leaf plants is using the appropriate type of soil. These plants prefer porous, well-draining soil that allows water to pass through, and that prevents overwatering.
We recommend using a dedicated cactus or succulent soil mix for planting your Crinkle-Leaf plant. Or, you can mix sand and standard potting soil to achieve a well-draining and porous texture.
When it comes to fertilizing your Crinkle-Leaf plant, you should only do it once or twice, but only during watering months. Do not fertilize it during the fall or winter because you can cause fertilize burn, meaning that the plant will get more fertilizer that it can process. It’s best to use a liquid fertilizer designed for cacti and succulents.
If there’s one thing that you really need to pay attention to is not to overwater your Crinkle-Leaf plant because overwatering is the sure way to kill it.
Unlike other succulents, Crinkle-Leaf plants need a bit less water to thrive. It is best to wait until the soil is completely dry before watering your Crinkle-plant again. Typically, this can take up to one or two weeks, depending on the conditions in your home. However, this „soak and dry” method is efficient only from spring to fall.
During the winter, you should cut back on the water almost completely. You’ll probably have to water your plant once or twice in total during the cold season.
Keep in mind that it is easier to help your plant recover from being under-watered than it is saving it from overwatering. Overwatering can cause root rot and make the leaves of your Crinkle-Leaf plant fall prematurely.
Signs that you are overwatering your plant:
- The soil in the container is wet, not moist.
- The tip of the plant’s leaf becomes brown.
- Yellow falling leaves.
- Blisters or lesions on the plant.
- Root rot.
If you think you are overwatering your Crinkle-Leaf plant, water it less frequently and check the container for proper drainage.
Propagating Crinkle-Leaf plants is as easy as it is to care for them. These plants propagate via leaf cuttings but can also be propagated by seed.
If you want to propagate your Crinkle-Leaf plant using leaf cuttings, all you have to do is to carefully remove a leaf from the stem and place it on a tray of soil in a sunny spot. Make sure the leaf only gets indirect light.
It usually takes a few weeks until you’re able to notice small roots growing from the end of the leaf. Keep in mind that you mustn’t water the leaf you use for propagation until a few small roots make their appearance. Why? It’s easy: without roots, the leaf won’t be able to absorb any water and it will sit in mushy soil for too long.
Once the roots become thick enough, you’ll start noticing a small plant growing in the tray and know it is time to move it to a new container and start caring for it as you do with your mature Crinkle-Leaf plant. It’s important to leave the leaf you used for propagation attached to the new plant until it dries up and falls off on its own.
You can also use dropped leaves and propagate them using the same process we’ve explained above.
These cute succulents are a must-have if you are a plant-lover. They are easy to grow, they require very little care to survive, and make fantastic decorations in any indoor environment. If there’s a sunny spot in your home or office that needs a little bit of greenery, a Crinkle-Leaf plant is a great choice.
Crinkle-Leaf plants are perfect for busy people who don’t have too much time to water and care for their plants but who want to have a little bit of greenery in their living or working environment. So, if love succulents as much as we do, you’ll surely enjoy caring for a tiny Adromischus cristatus plant.